The morning after

Allan Walsh on Twitter: Let’s be clear about one thing.
Jaroslav Halak loved Mtl, his teammates and the fans. All he wanted
was the opportunity to play.

Gauthier rolls the dice – Red Fisher

Canadiens bet the house on Price – Pat Hickey
It’s again Price’s bus to drive – Dave Stubbs
• Arpon Basu suggests everyone chill• François Gagnon analyzes the trade
Elliotte Friedman’s take and Darren Pang’s
• Analysis from Bob Hartley, Michel Bergeron, Gaston Therrien, Yvon Pedneault and Marc Denis

Robert L and Chris Boyle weigh in
Justin Trudeau doesn’t like the deal
• Gauthier picked the wrong horse – Mario Leclerc
A bold move: Ken Campbell
• Damien Cox on Pierre Gauthier’s gutsy decision

• James Mirtle on the goalie surplus
• Scott Burnside: Don’t be too quick to knock Gauthier
The view from St. Louis

• One fan’s angry reaction

1. slapshot777 says:

Anyone who says they’re thinking about switching teams were never a true Habs fan to begin with. They are the “band wagoners” I say go and good riddance, because at the end of the day those are the people in here who constantly stir the pot with pointless posts. A trade made by your team is never going to be met with 100% agreement.

Just look back at the past couple of trades before this one. PG trade a 2nd rounder for Dominic Moore, people were screaming at PG. What was his thinking, his lost his mind, way tto much to give up for a player like Moore. Those were just a few of the comments. After being here for a couple of months and seeing him play, now the same people want to re-sign Moore and saying what a good trade it was and how he is a hard worker.

The Latendresse trade, again another example of people up in arms about how we traded away another good player, just watch him tear it up some place else, was rushed into the league too soon, trading a hometown kid. Again some of the comments made regarding that trade. We got the potential of a good player in return. It all started out great and then again those same people were praising Pouliot and sayng how good he was and we won the trade. Then Pouliot goes into a tail spin and those same posters now are beginning to sh!t on him.

I too cheer for the logo on the front. Just like the commercial with Crosby it say that you play f the logo on front of the jersey not the name on the back.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

2. G-Man says:

You have to get to the conference finals, first. With Price, the Habs won’t.

3. G-Man says:

Getting tired of “supporting” the one who glares at his D for every softie he lets in. Trade the team player. Too bright for words.

4. Clay4bc says:

Quote:“If you’re going to call the organization classless, use something like
    facts to back it up. “,
    says the man spewing half truths and outright fabrications… but OK, I’ll oblige you…

Fact: Jaro NEVER demanded “play me or trade me”. A reporter asked him if he wanted to be traded, and Halak replied (with class, I might add) that he just wants to play, wherever he may be. Classic case of words being put in his mouth, and idiots began citing it like it was a fact. Lies and half truths.

Fact: Neither Jaro or his agent was contacted after the season to discuss a contract (so PG was spouting lies about the cap hit – he had no idea unless he asked Jaro what he wanted). Classless

Fact: Jaro was not even given the courtesy of a call by the Canadiens to inform him of the trade – he had to find out through the media. Very classless

Fact: Larry Robinson, a legend in the world of hockey and an excellent coach, calls the organization inquiring about a job, and iIS NOT EVEN GIVEN THE COURTESY OF A CALL BACK. Utterly and indefensible classless.

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Francois Laignelot

5. Slovak says:

because you are DUMBHEAD – do you understand that?

6. Gil says:

My only concern with that is that if eller is supposed to be a good 2nd line center, We then have plecks and gomez trying to fill the same role. Even if it isn’t this year, it will be a problem come 2012, and might depend on what we do with Moore. I like Moore on the 3rd line though, and think it would be wise to at least sign him to a 2-3 year deal.

If Eller is NHL-ready, that gives us too many men at Center and not enough Wings, and either we’ll need to transition one of them to a wing position like Marleau did, or go through this whole trade deal again to find the right fits.

7. Habsrule1 says:

“Proven” sure has changed definitions since I started watching hockey lol

No way was he going to fetch a top 6 forward after one good season and great playoff. Before this year, he had never even been a number 1 goalie in the NHL. Huet got us a 2nd round pick FFS.

Go Habs Go!! “I don’t have a copy of Georges’ code, I don’t know what it is,”. “I think the code is that you’re here for your teammates. It’s not your code, it’s our code.” – Bob Gainey

8. Chorske says:

See, Adam? Told you so.

9. Chorske says:

Careful. Some jackarse will be telling you to go cheer for the Blues if you keep making sense like this.

10. slapshot777 says:

+1 ,  agreed Tom, deal was good considering what may have happen in the following couple of weeks with a goalie flood coming. I say PG got the best deal out there and took it knowing that he would have probably gotten much less going forward.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

11. slapshot777 says:

Your over re-acting Ed, PG make a smart hockey and business decision. If you were to poll the people in the hockey cirlcles, (GMs, Scouts, Coaches ) I am willing to bet that given a choice between Price and Halak, most would have chosen to keep Price.

The problem with some Habs fans is that they react according to popularity, not common sense. If everyone would take a step back and look at the “ Overall ” picture they would have a better and more sensible approach to this trade.

How many Habs fans who are pissed about this trade right now think Halak will command in salary 3.5 – 4.5 mil in salary? If anyone thinks Halak would sign for less knows nothing about how the system with regards to players salaries works. Price has a 2.2 mil salary included in that were a multitude of bonuses that Carey never met. So his actual salary for this past season was a little over 1 million. Since Carey never had a great season he doesn’t have much to work with in regards t leverage. He is RFA and is not arbitration eligible. The Habs can qualify him to the same money as season past or give him a slight increase and tht’s about it. They have 3-4 more years with Carey as an RFA, so they get to sign him now and still leave money on the table which they would have lost on Halak.

This allows the Habs to bring in a veteran goalie to backup Price, and allow enough to re-sign Pleks and still have money to thinker with another forward or two. This trade meets the needs of the team and is the best of both worlds. It give the Habs more flexibility moving forward and also allows Halak to get number 1 status albeit somewhere else and also allows him to achieve the money he will be commanding.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

12. smiler2729 says:

Embarrassment of a trade? Look, you’ve been whining about this all over the place and all you’re doing is slagging the team and Price. Price didn’t trade Halak so your insults and lack of faith in him are immature.

The Habs traded my favourite player once or twice (Kirk Muller to the Isles in ’94, Roy to the Avs in ’95 and Recchi to the Flyers in ’99), it happens but it’s only a hockey game, man, ya get over it pretty quick. This isn’t Fantasy league, there are so many intangible factors that go into dealing away a high profile player, you just have to have faith the team knows better than us fans.

I promise you Carey Price will be great and so will Lars Eller.

13. mrhabby says:

i have always liked biron and its a perfect fit re: francophone and the philly thing.

From what i remember in 2007 the talking heads really liked eller and they still do. its possible he could step right in on the second line ..he may be ready now. i do like his potential. we have alot of first round picks on team now. by dealing with halak now PG has some flexibility if pleks does not work out. i think they will end up signing him because there is not that much else out there.

The rumour mill says marleau has no intention of leaving southern cal. lives in a relaxed atmosphere not one to trade it all in and play in a hotbed. he could go to LA or the laffs could throw buckets of money at him.

14. TomNickle says:

The Blackhawks won the Cup with 4 NHL defensemen, granted the fifth was injured.

It’s a case of pick your poison, or weakness.

Everyone has to do that, if we become inexpensive in areas instead of weak, we have a great shot at building a winner.

15. jbroderi says:

Maybe, but I heard Jean is a bit of a fiend for the Montreal nightlife!!  hahaha

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

16. jbroderi says:

I find Red’s articles ok at times, but I think these writers who were writing stories in the times of Dryden, Robinson, Savard, etc have unrealistic expectations and tend to be more negative with a “oohh my, the good days are gone now, but I guess we will watch these young guys try”

I found the article just an opinion based in very little fact.  Mind you, it is an important opinion, but just an opinion.  I was not enlightened when I read this article, and I find Red has become kinda ho hum boring with mild negativity.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

17. smiler2729 says:

I don’t even pretend to begin to understand whatever you’re trying to say… maybe after a good cry and buying a St.Louis Blues #41 jersey will your thoughts be a little less confusing.

18. TomNickle says:

You aren’t the only person upset about this trade.  I’m not criticizing you for posting your frustrations, that’s your right as a fan.

It’s also my right as a fan to disagree with just about everything you have to say.  I might add that most people who disagree with you seem to have a lot on the ball.

No worries though, I’m sure you were a huge Price fan before he struggled, when he returns to form you’ll be right back on the bandwagon.

19. Gil says:

Play manager for a second. Say you know in arbitration, you would have to pay 4 million to keep him. If you refused, he becoems a UFA and you get NOTHING.

And doing all your cap assesments, you figure 3 million is the max you can pay, while still being able to play 4 lines without career AHLers just filling gaps for 500K$. So you can’t afford what Halak will command, and you know that you’ll have to walk away from it.

So you’ve got a choice. Take 2 up and coming prospects with good potential as you have determined this is your best offer, exhausting all others in a saturated UFA goalie market where most will likely go for 2-3million, or let Halak walk for nothing when you can’t pay him. Which is the better deal? Nothing or two players?

I bet you’ll be back here screaming till you’re red in the face if plecks walks too because we should’ve traded him at the deadline to get some value instead of nothing for him as well liek so many others will. You can’t play both sides of the same coin and state both are bad choices though.

20. HabFanSince72 says:

Red’s senile. What’s your excuse?

21. spos080808 says:

Maybe Price can move in with a Habs great liek Beliveau. I mean Sid did live with Mario for a few years. HaHa.

22. HabFanSince72 says:

Philly notoriously don’t believe in the importance of the keeper, and they will feel vindicated in this by their cup run.

No way they were going to trade Carter for Halak or Price.

23. petefleet says:
    I am confused by the whole thing.  The only thing missing from the team in the playoffs was scoring (maybe a bit more defence).  Halak did all he could do.  From my perspective, I’d be looking to build on that not tear it apart.  Long term, short term, whatever.  Get Halak signed and go from there.  They can dump the salaries of the bums that didn’t show up all year and the the ones that are UFAs.  Now for all intents and purposes, it’s back to square one.  Don’t anyone tell me that Price is going to play 60+ games this year and win 40 of them, aint gonna happen.  On the flip side, Halak would have and probably will for sure in St.Louis.

Go Habs Go

24. Slovak says:

Yeah you are the man aren’t you? 17 years of trying, HABS have management that laughs stright into your face and you follow like blind baby, great

25. TomNickle says:

Ed, I know how you feel about Jaro and I’m not trying to twist the knife but you understand that this team has to sign Markov to an extension and find a big impact forward or two, neither task will be cheap.

Price has another two-three years prior to having any leverage in contract negotiations and is more cost efficient now.

If Price fails, Gauthier is done.  But what if Price plays an a level that is even on par with Halak?  That isn’t far fetched considering their career statistics either.  Flipping a 9th round pick into a 1st and a 3rd?  That’s a pretty damn good deal in my books.

26. coachdoug says:

Spot on…How’s this for a headline “Zamboni driver wins Cup!”

27. avatar_58 says:

All the fans turning on Price should be a window into what next season will be like. I really don’t care how you felt about Halak – CAREY PRICE is the current #1 goaltending hab. He needs your support.

Pull your heads from your backsides. Blame Guathier for being a tool but don’t turn on our own players ok? I want to hear chants of CAREY on opening night. Anything else is classless.

28. jbroderi says:

i agree with you 100&.  would you take cam ward over price??  I wouldn’t, and he had two great play-off runs and a conn smythe!  If ellar can score 20 to 25 golas or hit 60 to 70 points in the next 2 years and price can stay above .910, then we have got a solid, solid return for a 4 mill a year goalie!

One thing though.  Can price move in with Gio to keep him in line??  that would be nice!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

29. spos080808 says:

Yah give an unproven goalie $5 million for a season? Come on now.

30. spos080808 says:

Proven? 43 total games in a season high for Halak makes him proven? One hot stretch in the playoffs in which he was also brutal at times makes him proven?…

You also do realize there are MANY UFA goalies out there right now right? You do realize there are many goalies on the trade block right? You do realize Halak is unsigned right? You do realize he will be getting a HUGE raise when he has never proven he can be the guy for a full season right?

31. adam76 says:

No – you two are right.  I am the only man in this world upset with this embarrassment of a trade.  How dare I rant on a HABS message board.

32. Gil says:

People can jump off the bandwagon though, I just wish they’d hurry up and do it.

33. coachdoug says:

True…a team will never be perfect…but you have to be excellent…Detroit is the best example of this…their scraps are gems (Leino)

Gomez was not a risk…it was obvious he was overpaid…

34. jbroderi says:

we tend to overhype players for the Habs.  What would you give up for Anti Niemi?  A cup winning goalie??  I know that he may not have played as well, or faced as many shots as Halak did, but really?  I think what the habs got would have been a steal for Niemi.  Jeff carter for halak is kind of foolish to think of really, and I think with the free agent golaies out there, maybe this was all gauthier could get, but we’ll never know.

In the next 2 years, if price can have a 30 win season with save% above .910 and ellar can get 60 points in one of the seasons, and unless the blues win the cup, we will have won this trade.  I would take Price over Nabokov, niemi, and leighton, all of the other goaies who made the conference finals.  Let’s give this trade time to pan out before we flip out!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

35. Rugger says:

5 mil for Halak?  That would mean Plec walks, Moore walks, so Metro for 2nd line center or Laps?

36. spos080808 says:

You people do realize Halak is going to get a huge raise right. Probably multiple years at $4+ million…A guy wit ha career high of 43 games in the regular season is worth that? Come on now…Tuuka Raask just signed a deal worth $1.25 million…So because Halak had a good playoff run he is worth over $3 million more per season? Come on now people…Halak has never played a full season period. Npbody has any idea if he can handle 65+ games…He tired in the playoffs and was pulled in each series and that was just after a few games here and there…

The Habs made THE right move based on the contract alone…

Some of you fail to acknowledge that. Stop looking at just his playoff run. You need to look at the Habs cap space, how they have another goalie, the return they got, the fact that there are MANY free agent goalies and goalies on the trade block, the fact Halak has all the power with his contract since he is arbitration eligible, etc etc…

If you look at ALL the factors it is obvious the Habs did the right thing. I do not get why you people cannot see that. A hot few weeks proves nothing!

37. smiler2729 says:

Red Fisher is 100 years old and I was shocked at his column. Sometimes I think he believes he is above us all in all aspects of things Hab. The fact that he mentions Jack Todd tells ya something.

No offence, Red, it has all passed you by, the game and the way it is run today is not the same as it was in 1955.

38. Gil says:

Wouldn’t you call the post-season we just had a “fairy-tale”?

And then the management decided that they weren’t going to believe in it and changed routes?

So where’s that leave your very minimal blanket statement?

39. TomNickle says:

Zebras can’t change their stripes Smiler.

40. adam76 says:

So what you are saying – is we just blindly accept whatever trash they toss on the ice, while paying the second highest ticket prices in the league?

Hello maple leafs model.

41. TomNickle says:

And you’re certain that Gauthier didn’t try to reach Walsh or Halak?

This deal was reported prior to the names on the other side being known.  I think it’s fair to say that the deal was leaked fairly early and the person or people who leaked the deal are unknown.

Demanding an equal share of playing time or to be moved is no more classy and as I said, taunting the man who negotiates on behalf of the organization isn’t either.

Don’t throw stones in glass houses.

The man you pedal to be a hero is far from it.  Passing the buck has been a popular move out of that camp since October of last year.

42. adam76 says:

A proven 25 year old goaltender what would not break the cap should have yielded us a top six forward.  Thus, everyone is ready to riot.

43. smiler2729 says:

Adam76, man, give it up! Either shut the hell up about this or move to the St.Louis Blues fan sites. From your incessant whining to your unflattering pic, you paint yourself as a one dimensional fan with no insights into what makes the game.

44. ed lopaz says:

hey Mike,

there is no one I respect in hockey media more than Red.

I just read his article, and if i could write, those would

have been my thoughts EXACTLY.

Gauthier is finished in this town, and Gainey as well.

They could have give halak a 1 year deal – even at 5 million.

Give him 1 season of 60 games.

keep both goalies for 1 more year.

Gauthier is finshed in this town. Red just wrote the obituary.

45. smiler2729 says:

Ain’t nobody in hockey smarter than Scotty.

46. TomNickle says:

Actually, you’re about $1 million shy annually of what Halak and Walsh will be looking for if the deal is short term.

47. smiler2729 says:

Grow up, this is a business. I’m sorry your favourite little player got traded but get over it, you either are a fan of the Habs or you’re not.

Don’t let the upstairs management crap bug you, every organization is the same and besides, historically, the Habs have treated everyone from the Rocket to the Flower roughly so chew on that.

48. Psycho29 says:

C’mon fellow HAB’S FANS….Chill out…..

Do you really think we were going to get a Carter or a top forward for Halak? If there was a better deal out there the Habs would have taken it. You would have been more upset if they’d have received just a second round draft choice in return.

At least they got two players with potential. Both still young (as I have heard here often, “IT’S A YOUNG MANS SPORT!!!!”).

Eller has promise, had a bout of mono last year and still made the AHL rookie allstar team.

Schultz is a big boy who needs some work, but from what I read about him he won’t be texting other team’s heavyweights between periods to see if they want to ‘go’.

Anyhow I have a feeling this is just the beginning, more changes are coming….Let’s see how things pan out the rest of the summer.

Everyone take another shot of bourbon in your morning coffee….There ya go….

49. Slovak says:

mmmmm what an argument :))

50. smiler2729 says:

Well said, I’ve always liked your posts, TomNickle

51. Gil says:

For the bulldogs? Sweet!

52. Gil says:

I was just thinking on how good it would be if we could snag Biron for a cheap price. It’d almost be a sweet retribution to 07-08 when we couldn’t beat him, if he could help Price do the same to Philly in 2011. 😀

I’m just wondering if Eller will play this season or not. I know he had played 7 or 8 games with the blues last year and apparently showed good upside. If he does, and it means we have safety in the 2nd line role, does that mean we’ve given up on Plecks and are turning our heads to a winger (Hopefully Marleau) to compliment Gomez & Gionta?

If Plecks isn’t resigned, would it be out of the way to think our top 6 would look like this?:

That, or in dealing away the K bros, we can pick up a second line winger and let Pouliot run on the third line, but I’d almost rather see this setup work if we were to go with it.

53. Citrouille says:

I cheer for the logo on the front, not the name in the back. What about you? If one player I love gets traded, I wish him the best and I’ll still cheer for my team. For those contemplating switching teams, do it. Maybe there’ll be less anthem booing and players booing at the Bell this year.

I loved Halak, but in Price they have a young player with similar achievements and talent who can be as good, maybe even more, and cost twice less than Halak. They are managing a business after all, and we are short of cap space. Price at 2 mill(maybe a bit less or a bit more)+ a cheap veteran goaltender gives the management more money to work with. Who knows, maybe the Halak trade is paving the way for other moves. Armchair GMs, phew….

54. Slovak says:

Moving someone without a word is no class for me period.