The morning after

Allan Walsh on Twitter: Let’s be clear about one thing.
Jaroslav Halak loved Mtl, his teammates and the fans. All he wanted
was the opportunity to play.

Gauthier rolls the dice – Red Fisher

Canadiens bet the house on Price – Pat Hickey
It’s again Price’s bus to drive – Dave Stubbs
• Arpon Basu suggests everyone chill• François Gagnon analyzes the trade
Elliotte Friedman’s take and Darren Pang’s
• Analysis from Bob Hartley, Michel Bergeron, Gaston Therrien, Yvon Pedneault and Marc Denis

Robert L and Chris Boyle weigh in
Justin Trudeau doesn’t like the deal
• Gauthier picked the wrong horse – Mario Leclerc
A bold move: Ken Campbell
• Damien Cox on Pierre Gauthier’s gutsy decision

• James Mirtle on the goalie surplus
• Scott Burnside: Don’t be too quick to knock Gauthier
The view from St. Louis

• One fan’s angry reaction

1,632 Comments

1. Habsrule1 says:

Come on. Everyone knows he’ll be looking for roughly $4M. Talking really wasn’t necessary.

Go Habs Go!! “I don’t have a copy of Georges’ code, I don’t know what it is,”. “I think the code is that you’re here for your teammates. It’s not your code, it’s our code.” – Bob Gainey

2. mrhabby says:

iam hoping biron or hedberg backs up price. price just has to play good not spectacular every night to get back on track. of course it would help if the team in front of price could play hockey in the other end instead of having the play always in our end.

Look at this trade from a cap perspective and gainey signings last summer and you can see why halak had to go. halak could sign for 3-4m per season way to much for the habs and also the blues have to deal with arbitration if they cannot reach a deal…good luck on that one.

i would much rather have this deal then halak for some established player(s) that would cost us an arm and a leg and then turns into a bust. Eller and Shultz are cheap and have excellent potential…we are now younger.

i hope PG is not finished with this club. there is still some dead wood..no.

3. Slovak says:

Thanks and do not cry after next season and do not repeat the same HOPE words because it is pathetic and you do not want to be pathetic do you?

4. TomNickle says:

Would you say they have no class if it had been Price that was traded to St.Louis?

Nevermind.

5. punkster says:

I’m definitely chillin’. This whole Chicken Little mentality on here gives me the creeps. Give it time.

FREE TIMO!

6. G-Man says:

Habs management is believing in fairy tales.

7. Slovak says:

I still say – HABS management has no class for doing it this way.

8. G-Man says:

The only thing I see right now are gathering rainclouds. Eller and Schultz may help IN 3 OR 4 SEASONS and I don’t think Gomez, Cammi, Gionta and GIll want to wait. After 17 years, neither do I.

1 step forward, 3 steps back: the Habs Hokey Pokey.

9. TomNickle says:

Like your countryman told you.  This is a Habs FAN board.  I’m sympathetic to your pain that Halak was traded and I’m in no way trying to make it more sour.  I’m saying that if you really believe that the team has no class and the reason you’ve watched the Habs no longer plays for the team, pick up a Blues site.

If you’re going to call the organization classless, use something like facts to back it up.

Was it classy to demand playing time or a trade?   Was it classy for Halak’s agent to taunt Gainey on the internet?

Don’t throw stones in glass houses comes to mind.

People are trying to move forward now.  You should do the same.

10. Slovak says:

Can you read?

My post was about HABS not talking to Halak about new contract and trade.

Maybe it is fine with you but I try to be fair with people.

11. munch17 says:

No – the second. First was Lats for Pouliot.

12. SlovakHab says:

I truly admire your ability to see the future and already be able to tell whether it was a good trade or not.

13. TomNickle says:

Tell me, what respect did that players’ representative show the organization and what did the player do about his agent’s childish behaviour.

I know you have reservations about Price.  But there are positives.  He reacted in a great way to being put on the bench.  Started to work harder and be a better teammate.  There is light at the end of this tunnel and I hope within the next few days you can see it.

14. TomNickle says:

You disagree about overpaying the core?  Show me an NHL team that isn’t overpaying at least three players in their top 11 group.  Seeing that you’re a coach I don’t have to explain that top 11 to you.

15. Habsrule1 says:

Everyone relax. I think it’s fairly obvious this was the best they could get from the West, and they probably only got slightly better offers, if at all, in the East.

Gauthier was not fielding calls for Patrick Roy here. Halak had on very good season and a great playoffs. Before that, he had never been a number 1 goalie, so we were not going to get Perron, Backes or anyone like that. Price probably would have fetched more because most GM’s, just like Gauthier, believe he will be very, very good….and that’s why he’s still a Canadien. Add the money issue with Halak probably looking for $4M a year on his very next contract, and it’s not complicated. as for the rush, well there was a slight rush due to the fact that the longer they waited, the better chance the Blues sign someone else or trade for someone else.

All we can do is hope that Eller will pan out, and Price will be good next year, hopefully better than Halak.

16. 123456 says:

so is this the first “lose – lose” trade in history… fans of each team think dooms day has arrived.

17. TomNickle says:

It pains me to say this but I believe it ties into a contingency plan.  If we can’t land that long coveted BIG centreman or re-sign Pleks.  I think Cammalleri moves to the middle and they throw Eller on his LW to start the season.

Faceoffs being one of our biggest problems last season, I can’t see the Habs playing Eller at centre.

18. Slovak says:

If HABS only act like they got class

19. TomNickle says:

I hate my mouse.

20. G-Man says:

MY thing about this trade is that the Habs have way more options. This “I’m handcuffed here” explanation doesn’t wash. The Habs are showing no respect to the goalie who gave them their best run in 17 years. They’re keeping the one who flounders, and that’s just plain stupid.
    After Price’s “shrug,” he should have been dealt away, but for some insane vague futuristic reason, they keep hanging their hopes on him.

21. munch17 says:

FYI this is what they’re writing in St. Louis.

Here is the St Louis Post Dispatch’s commentary about what they gaveup for Jaro:The price was very, very high. Eller starred in the AHL last season during his first year of North American hockey. He seems poised to break out next season as a rookie.The Blues have also failed to develop a high-end scorer over theyears. Perhaps David Perron or T.J. Oshie could become such a player,but they haven’t reached that level yet.Experts believe Eller can become at least an impact scorer, if not anoutright star. He scored 57 points in 70 games for the Rivermen lastseason and scored two goals in seven NHL games. He played with anedge, despite his lack of stature, and the Blues were eager to see howmuch offense he could add.Schultz, the 87th overall pick in 2008, is a rugged 6-foot-2,200-pound winger capable of scoring and fighting. He progressedsteadily in the Western Hockey League and appears ready for prohockey.Given the Blues lack of blue-chip depth up front, this dealrepresented a huge sacrifice. Given that lofty price, Halak absolutelyMUST become a star.

22. Slovak says:

I think you did you enjoy HABS being down for more than decade… so have a great time

This is not about one man – this is about HABS MANAGEMENT way of thinking…

23. SlovakHab says:

I agree with you. I didn’t mention Moore only because his UFA status. If he stays, he gives us his excellent services, further depth on C, an extra year for Eller to develop into a regular NHLer and a good feeling that we didn’t just waste that 2nd rounder for 3 months of Moore.

24. coachdoug says:

Tom…Hard to say what Plek would and would not have done…we will never know…

It is one thing to overpay a guy who is on the rise…but I think even the most casual fan knew the deal on Gomez…

We took a risk on Cammy and that was more than acceptable…and it was the best trade we made…

Gomez played well…but he is the highest paid Hab ever…I would hope he would contribute to us going into the post season…

I disagree on overpaying the core…any overpaying puts you at risk…GM’s have as much of a part of winning the Cup as the coaches…it all starts with who they bring in…

I do agree that the third and fouth line guys can be the difference…especally when top lines are shut down in the post season…

25. avatar_58 says:

Maybe this new guy will be a quick learner?

26. avatar_58 says:

Does anyone wonder if they also shopped Price but didn’t get bupkiss? Maybe this truly was the best offer. Somehow I refuse to believe that but who knows…..grasping at straws here.

27. Slovak says:

If they did speak with Jaro about new contract or even this trade your argument would be great…

28. TomNickle says:

I love how he speculated that the Leafs would be a big player in the Kovalchuk sweepstakes and Burke comes out the next day and says No outright.

I would like to see a team file civil suit against him and force him to reveal his source or sources.

He would have to then show authorities a big wheel with every NHL player’s name on it.

29. avatar_58 says:

What, you mean Kaberle isn’t equivalent to all that? This is a shock to me 😉

30. coachdoug says:

I think keeping Moore if possible will be a good idea…IMO having Centers who can play wing are the way to go…especially when you get tossed in a tight name and need to win a faceoff…nice two have two guys who can take the draw…a lot of 3rd and 4th line centers will play both if the money is right…

31. TomNickle says:

My point is that Plek himself wouldn’t sign a longterm deal following that season and even if he does, we need a complimentary centreman for this season.  People are quick to blame Gomez and his contract for cap troubles, but how far do we go in the playoffs without him?  He’s a member of our core and every team has to overpay for their core.  It’s how we spend away from the core that will dictate the financial flexibility of the organization.

Hamrlik’s contract has to go.

32. ed lopaz says:

here is my comment for today, and I hope my last.

Pierre Gauthier has hung himself and price out to dry.

there is nothing short of another excellent playoff

that will make this move a success.

and any type of down season, which is possible, will spell the end of gauthier in this town.

that’s it.

I have given enough time and energy to this organisation.

I will now sit back and hope for the best.

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2. we play with energy, we

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Eklund’s been drinking again, apparently Toronto with no 1st-round picks are going to put offer sheets out for Joe Pavelski, David Perron and Bobby Ryan. HB is always a source of comedy isn’t it?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. SlovakHab says:

I am a huge fan of Robert L’s astute analysis. I think it was not a bad trade – we need a good team, not just a good goalie. You only play one goalie per game, and Price + another guy will be just fine. But you have to play four centres. Plekanec, Gomez, Lapierre, Eller + our AHL guys are a decent depth to start with.

35. Slovak says:

“Perhaps” is that your argument?

Halak did say for media that he was surprised and has no communication with management about this

Moreover they even did not talk about new contract at all.

But perhaps they did :))))

Halak for nothing – you can call it as you want

36. TomNickle says:

I am very impressed with the mature way you’re looking at this trade and the circumstances surrounding it.

Fact is, if Walsh were my agent and did what he did, I would’ve fired him on the spot if I were Halak.  He didn’t for whatever reason.

37. notbigbird says:

Red’s mentor is Jack Todd? Now, doesn’t that add weight to his words?

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Patrick Roy’s record upon leaving Montreal: 2 Conn Smythe trophies with
    the 1986 and 1993 Canadiens, was 289-175-66 regular
    season, 70-42 in post-season with 3 Cup Finals and 2 Cup wins on his
    record when he left. Three Vezinas, 3 Jennings Trophies, First-Team
    All-Star 3 times, 2nd-Team All-Star twice, 6 All-Star Game appearances,
    Calder Cup win in 1985 as well.

Sorry, this isn’t the Roy Trade the day after the fact when Halak is at the start of his career. The Habs moved probably the best playoff goalie in NHL history in ’95 with incredible honours, Halak has a long way to go to come close to matching all of that.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

39. coachdoug says:

Who was consistent during that soap opera 100th year?  That year was an anomoly year and Plek had the muscial wingers game going on all year…Police…mobsters…hookers…it was a circus

You buy low and sell high..your coaches need to see the potential…Plek had the potential and it was a down year…

Gomez was brought in to be number one center…how is that working out?

Tortorella himself told me they were so relieved when the Habs took Gomez…he said he was a good player and a great guy…but his contract was ridiculous and the rangers did not think they could successfully shop him…

I like Scotty…but at about 4.5 mil…

40. TomNickle says:

It would be nice for someone of your intelligence to be a little more analytical of this trade.

Price gave up an extra goal what, every 3 games?

You can see very clearly that Price has enjoyed the same amount of success as Jaro Halak has.  You can also see that we’ve had a carousel of goalies that have come back down to earth after enjoying career years.

41. Chris says:

Philly wasn’t giving up one of their young guns for Halak or Price. That was pure fantasy on the part of Habs fans. You don’t trade a 40 goal scorer for a goalie…that is simply Hockey 101.

I don’t know what is going on down in San Jose, but there are certainly good options (Mason, Ellis, Turco) who could look very good behind a very strong Sharks team. And they need to win now, because their window is rapidly closing.

42. Chris says:

What assets does Montreal have to tempt either Florida or Chicago into dealing either of those guys to Montreal?

Let’s face it…the fans who aren’t simply angry because they really liked Halak are disillusioned that they didn’t get more to help the team now for the team’s MVP of last season.

Horton has 3 years left on his pretty affordable deal. If, as so many here assure me, he truly is available, I have to think a bidding war is going to escalate the cost beyond anything the Habs can afford to pay. I suspect that Subban is the prospect that will be asked for by most teams, and he’s untouchable in the eyes of the Habs fan base. The rest of the team’s prospects don’t really inspire anybody out there.

With Sharp, his trade would be a pure salary dump, so there is hope there. But again, the Hawks SHOULD be getting some good prospects back. Montreal would probably be looking at moving somebody like Leblanc, Kristo or Eller in that trade, as the Hawks already have a defence corps that is pretty stacked with younger guys that are better than anything we could give them.

43. SlovakHab says:

How do you know they didn’t pay him any respect?

And do you perhaps think his agent’s antics during the season might have done something with not negotiating the next contract?

I am totally happy with Eller and cap space.

And don’t worry, Halak will get his $4M elsewhere and will have enough to survive. He didn’t get fired and won’t be unemployed.

44. TomNickle says:

Gomez’s contract was brought in because of Plek’s inconsistency.  No player who thinks he can put up a 70 point season signs a multi year deal on the heels of a 39 point season.

That’s hardly Gainey’s fault.

45. adam76 says:

agreed – was a classless act.

46. coachdoug says:

Robert L and Chris Boyle have been breaking our goalie situation down to a science all year…Their viewpiont is sound and backed up by some good logic and facts…

These other guys are all sensationalists selling their product…”The sky is falling…”

47. SlovakHab says:

I would like ask again:

Is there any chance of having an ‘ignore’ option, anti-spam mechanism (such as no 15 posts per page per poster) or an opportunity to ‘mark as offensive’ or ‘mark as spam’ button on HIO?

48. TomNickle says:

Okay.  Bad management.  Trading an asset who would have been grossly overpaid entering next season.  That same asset is represented by a man who taunted management by way of Twitter.  That same asset gave management an ultimatum.

Tell me, what assurance did Pierre Gauthier have that Jaro Halak or Allan Walsh wouldn’t have requested a trade if Price stole the #1 job back?

49. adam76 says:

Price was the 5th pick overall – the only number that matters to this management team.

Forget he shows up to training camp overweight, forget he went 15 – 20 – 5 last season.  Forget his weak goals deflated this team more then a smoker at a asthma convention.

You don;t need to work hard, you just need a pedigree.

50. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

i’m surprised – and disappointed – that halak didn’t even get a call. communication has been a big problem, it seems, for the habs the past few years.
    The Other Wing

51. SeriousFan09 says:

It is good to get some nice, sober analysis within a day of the trade isn’t it?

Gauthier made an unpopular decision in the interest of the club’s future, whether that works we’ll find out.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

thank you, steve! the market for halak (or price) was bad and yes – cap cap cap. most people are saying worst trade ever but they’re also not trying to figure out the implications of signing halak to $4.5 million/year or whatever…
    The Other Wing

53. G-Man says:

Looks like another 17 years of stupidity and failure.

54. Slovak says:

Come on, you are intelligent man, I said I will be fan of anyteam where will Halak play – because I ma his fan in first row – that is the fact, but that does not mean I can not have more favourite teams, does it?

But on the other hand – how can I be fan of team with fuckkked up management that treat hardworking people like shhhittt…? The minimum amount of respect to Halak would be at least talk to him…

And tell me how many years are HABS in black hole and how many years are HABS fans willing to tolerate this?

55. G-Man says:

And so he should be. What a boneheaded deal.

56. G-Man says:

This is not based on emotion. My reaction is based on results. There was no reason to trade the BETTER goalie. Talk salary cap and all that crap all you want, but in the end this is a VERY STUPID deal, on a par with Houle trading Roy.
    Instead of being 2 players away, the Habs are now 3 or more because of all the extra goals they’re going to need to score.

57. coachdoug says:

Robert L has it right on the money…set your emotions aside and be Mr. Spock.

The salary Cap is driving this.  Funny how every one wants to lynch PG but Bob Gainey actually is the one who put PG in this situation…

If the Habs could have resigned Plek for a 3.5 mil multi-year deal after his down year there would have been no need for Gomez’s albatross contract…we would have 4 mil of Cap space verses over paying by 2.5-3 million depending on what you think Gomez is worth…

I know…maybe Plek did not want to resign and maybe he would have not had as good a regular season…but his age and durability made him a better choice IMO…Now we will have to roll the dice on Eller (Although he looks good) if Plek walks…which I think he will right to the Blue Jackets who need someone to feed Rick Nash pucks…

The big challenge will be Price’s mindset coming into the season and how the fans react and what he does with their reaction…I do think that will be the mountain to climb…

PK Subban will be on the blueline and that may make a lot of difference…we desperately need a young puck moving D Man…

Really suprised everyone is jumping ship so soon…PG knew he was making a move that was unpopular with fans…We need some prospects we can grow and Eller looks solid…Shultz could definately come in next year and take up the enforcer role when needed…and we need one…

I am with Arpon Basu…everyone needs to chill out

58. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Yeah, they own his rights. He’s an RFA. So they can try to sign him, they can take him to arbitration, they can trade him, someone can make him an offer sheet or maybe he can find a big contract in the KHL.

The Other Wing

59. Slovak says:

My brain stopped, when realizing that HABS management did not pay even a small amount of respect to Halak.

Is this how you treat hardworking people in Montreal?

60. TomNickle says:

So as I predicted, you’re a Blues fan now.

Chris – In essence, we get a mid 1st rounder who already has a few years of development time under his belt. Eller also has had some injuries so that may have delayed the maturation process. He’s presently ranked at the 17th best prospect who isn’t in the NHL full time.

You also have to ask yourself what other deals might have been out there (realisticcally). It’s pretty obvious that Philly wasn’t giving up one of their young guns. Tampa has Downie and Ashton but they can go the UFA route and still keep their young assets. San Jose? I can’t believe that Wilson doesn’t aleady have something in the works in terms of his goaltending dilemma.

62. Chris Aung-Thwin says:

Most people’s reactions have been purely emotional. Off-ice, this was an insanely difficult trade for Gauthier to make. It’s so easy for us fans to hate it.

But it’s not that bad. You’re right, Chris – we’re getting important depth at forward, something necessary for real playoff success. Hopefully PG isn’t done (why else make the trade this week?) and we continue to add a few contributors (I think we might go after Horton or Sharp or maybe both). We’d need to cut some fat (AK/SK and Hamrlik’s contract).

The Other Wing

63. EricInStL says:

And what if St-Louis traded Halak ? to say Phily for Jeff Carter. How would you react ?????

Remember it seems St-Louis has the rights to Halak…

I would predict HIO posts would hit 3000….

64. Chris says:

What about Montreal fans? 😉

65. HabFanSince72 says:

Forgetting for a moment whether one likes or dislikes the deal, Justin Trudeau and Denis Coderre are massive tools aren’t they?

66. Slovak says:

you moved Halak for nothing – get used to it, all Blues fans are laughing at you…

BillP. June 18, 2010 12:03AM CST
    Tremendous trade for the Blues. To me it’s a steal. Like I said on your blog last week Bernie the quickest way for the Blues to get to the next level is to acquire that franchise goalie. Sounded crazy last week, but not so much now does it? I’m still surprised the Canadiens pulled the trigger so quickly on dealing Halak. I would think another NHL team could of easily trumped the Blues offer, and I think Halak is worth much more than what they got in return. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled for the Blues and am very pleased that management is looking at their options in the trade market. This is a great sign. But I’m not sure what’s up the Canadiens sleeve on this one. I don’t care if Carey Price is a 1rst round draft choice, the guy had a won loss record of 13 and 20 this year and he’s lost his last 5 playoff games as well. To me, this is not smart, doesn’t make sense and if the Blues were the Canadiens in this deal, the fans would be livid, and rightly so. I’m thrilled about the deal, but to me, it’s still a head scratcher from the Canadiens point of view. Have a great Friday!

Blues’ fans have had enough of rebuilding.  Even though they have a ton of prospects, it’s time for St. Louis to make the playoffs.  Last year was a real setback.  Davidson knows he has to get to the next level right NOW.

68. Chris says:

With a day to think on it, I think it is a horrific, mind-blowingly stupid trade off the ice.  Regarding the on-ice return, it is pretty reasonable for a goalie.  I thought the Habs might get a low first-round pick and/or a high second round pick for either guy.  To get a very highly regarded prospect in Eller was as good a return as the Habs were going to get.

Furthermore, I’ve said it many times before, and still believe it…goalies simply aren’t as all-important to team success as they were years ago.  Teams that have to rely on phenomenal goaltending can steal a round or two, as Montreal did this year, but will eventually run out of gas.  You need depth at forward and defence more than you need an elite or even star goalie.  A good team can hide a mediocre goalie, but a superstar goalie can rarely carry a bad team.

All that being said, you have to get to the playoffs first.  Montreal had a feel-good run through the playoffs, something that should have had the fan base excited.  Anybody that believes that the fans in Montreal won’t have Carey Price on the shortest rope that any professional athlete has seen since Jocelyn Thibault are either naive or unrealistic.  The fans are going to be waiting for his first run of poor play and they are going to pounce, and pounce without mercy or open-mindedness.

Price might become a star in the NHL some day, but the Montreal organization continues to do almost nothing to facilitate that development…I hope he’s more up to the task than his behaviour of the last 18 months suggests he is.

Indirectly, this trade was made because of all the money Gainey spent last summer.  We had two great assets in net (eventually one had to go) but you would have to be a fool to not think there were some cap implications to this decision. The only question now is who is Bernie Parent and who will be Doug Favell?  Price can’t break the bank without arbitration rights and a stellar track record so he won’t cost a lot of coin.  There is a glut of secondary goalies out on the market so we can get one for a year as a cheap, veteran back-up.  That will allow Desjardins to get lots of work in Hamilton.  I like Hedberg but he may go back to Europe.

Hab fans also have to come to grips with the fact that the goalie market has been weak for the past few years.  This trade proves that for sure.  Posters may not be in love with the deal but I’m greatful that we didn’t move a goalie for a veteran or a package of picks.  Getting a 21 year old with decent potential is so much better.

Will Eller spend an enitre season in Hamilton or will the Habs feel the pressure to have him on the roster right away?  If so, there would appear to be no need to re-sign Moore.  Not unless he’s willing to play 4th line minutes (for less money) with Laps being a full time winger.  Or do they sign Moore, let Pleks walk and take their lumps for a few years until Eller develops?  I doubt there are any serious Cup runs for the next few years so there is time for the young guys to mature.

Regardless of this trade, the Habs still need another top six forward who can score goals.

70. Slovak says:

“This wasn’t a knee-jerk trade based on three weeks,” said Armstrong, alluding to Halak’s brilliant postseason. “He’s played well at every level. And when he finally got the chance in that Montreal goal, he wouldn’t give it up. He’s a tough competitor. He’s just a winner.”

WHY? Can some tell me why? Why they even did not talk to halak before the trade? Whyyyyyyyyyyy?

And can some tell me why is Montreal in that black hole for so many years and when the team starts to climb up WEHEEEY lets give away one of the crucial parts….

There is only one word after this shittttt

Why?

71. nightmare_49 says:

from Bernie Miklasz / St.LouisToday.com

Eller has a chance to be a special two-way player, but may not develop into a finisher. And what’s the Blues need up front more than anything — players who put scoring chances away. Montreal coveted Eller, who should help them in the near future. And the Blues are willing to pay Halak, who can become an unrestricted free agent after two more seasons. Both teams got something they wanted — even if Montreal fans initially stormed Internet message boards to protest the deal.

Another quote: One NHL scout explained it to me this way: You need to have a stacked team around Mason to win big. But Halak is capable of getting it done with the support of a solid but unspectacular roster. The Buffalo model — with goaltender Ryan Miller — is an apt comparison.

Darren Pang’s Perspective ………. http://www.hockeychats.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83:blues-trade-for-halak

72. TomNickle says:

The team has said that they knew what Walsh would be seeking in money.

If you’d like to blame somebody for this and pout about it, blame Joe Nieuwendyk.

73. SeriousFan09 says:

Final thought before I try and get some sleep again:

This team is knowingly or unknowingly following the advice of Scotty Bowman who said earlier this year was not to trade Carey Price. Anyone here think they’re smarter than Scotty?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

74. TomNickle says:

Apologies for the double post.

75. SlovakHab says:

Slovakia – Denmark 0:6. Eller played in that game and had 2 assists. He is not a nobody, but a talented, young center, a 1st round pick that gives us a depth at C.

You only need 1 goalie, and we have Price, but also Desjardins and Sanford (UFA) in the AHL and there will be plenty of other goalies available. However, you need 4 centres. If we kept Halak, there would be no Plekanec and Eller. Hence, we have some good depth on C, unless Plekanec bolts.

Look, I understand that 99% of hockey fans in Slovakia don’t support any team, only players. You are very probably one of them and I 100% understand it.

But please understand that this is a Montreal Canadiens blog. If the Habs do well, we are happy. Regardless of the nationality of our goalie.