The morning after the night before

More pressure on Price – Pat Hickey

• Arpon Basu not impressed by Auld signing

• Neither is Yvon Pedneault

François Gagnon’s take

You must be Jokinen – Eric Duhatschek

• Scott Burnside grades the signings

• Jim Kelley: Huge bucks aren’t out there

1. aemarchand11 says:

Tony, much like when you were younger and the crowds of people closed to circle to not let you in to talk. You are…

*IGNORED*

2. pmaraw says:

I doubt it.

3. Storm Man says:

Went to play with Tampa and his good friend.

4. Bugs says:

Zowie!

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

5. mike g says:

The boys gave BGL 1.5mill for 3 years, and they regretted it after year 1.

That was a huge mistake and they fixed it. Laraque’s tenure in MTL and his example should have been a memo to the league regarding the signing of players like him. But as usual, Sather shoots dumb money around for no reason.

You can’t try and justify Sather’s signing by saying the Habs were dumb about Laraque. It just doesn’t work because we solved our problem, NYR just created another one when it was obvious not to do so.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

And HH? I am Dale Tallon!!!

7. TomNickle says:

You know Tony.  I try to avoid your posts in an effort to rise above the crap but enough is enough.

You call others fools.

Facts:

You thought Gauthier had been a GM or AGM for 30 years until corrected.

You didn’t know there was such a thing as a cap floor until corrected.

You believe that Halak would’ve signed a one year deal worth $3 million to stay.

You believe Halak would’ve stayed if given the #1 job despite every reputable media outlet now confirming that HALAK forced the trade from Montreal.

Those are just 4.  I could go on and on.  But if you’re looking for a fool.  Look no further than the mirror.  You criticize Gauthier, Gainey, Martin, Timmins, Boivin and Molson.  Yet you know next to nothing about league rules, the CBA, the players, their agents, their desires, their contract demands, and just about everything else I could think of as it relates to the game.

Argue with people all you want, I’m sure you will.  But before you start name calling, you had better at least be educated in things surrounding the game.  I’ve seen you call four people at least a fool or idiot this morning.

Scum.

8. pmaraw says:

how about that goal by holland

Sorry if you took that I was angry because I am not. I hope you’re right about the BU goalie not dictating the season. Personally I believe it will be the defensive play. If the Habs are going to face 45+ shots per game they’re in trouble and we all know it.

10. Propwash says:

That 88 point team made it to the ECF. Your point is moot.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

11. Bugs says:

Your recruiting won’t work here, Tony.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

12. Rugger says:

“Now he’s gone, now he’s gone, Lord he’s gone, he’s gone.

Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track
    He's gone, gone, nothin's gonna bring him back...He's gone."

Garcia-Hunter 1972
  13. Propwash says:

In my pov, Halak being traded saved the Habs 2-3 million in salary cap. But around here, it’s dammed if you do, damned if you don’t. I really dont think Halak was worth that kind of money.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

14. pmaraw says:

everyone here is convinced you’re the leaf fan, don’t put that on anyone else.  btw, here’s a tissue, brian burke already wiped his ass with it, but i’m sure you’re fine with that.

15. mike g says:

Don’t forget, the Flyers also signed Sean O’Donnel yesterday.

He had 2 solid years in LA. Look for him to be a very steady #6 on the Flyers squad.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

16. Bugs says:

And Ellis?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

17. habsguy says:

I don’t know,  why are you still going on about it?????

18. Storm Man says:

-21,273

19. TomNickle says:

I’d rather have Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Carle and Bartulis than Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart and Lilja.

But I’m not Mike Babcock.

I wouldn’t mind Martin, Letang, Orpik and Michalek either.

But I don’t mind Markov, Spacek, Gorges and Subban.

20. B says:

So a smart GM should always trade a goalie after he has a terrific season?

21. Tony000 says:

You’ve convinced me, Reggie, when can you take over?

22. Bugs says:

Holland up against it.

Will Robben strike?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

23. TomNickle says:

Here ya go Bugs……

Alex Auld

2007-2008 Season – 23 GP – 9W – 7L – 5 OTL – 2.32 GAA – .919 Save %

2008-2009 Season – 43 GP – 16W – 18L – 7 OTL – 2.47 GAA – .911 Save %

The winning percentage isn’t through the roof but those season were with the Bruins and Senators, he knows the division and puts up good backup numbers.

He also had a season with the Canucks where he went 33-26-6 with a 2.94 and .902

Not bad for a backup.

24. Tony000 says:

Nurse, get Mr.Houle his medication, Stat!

25. aemarchand11 says:

*IGN….

Wait, are those facts?? Wow Tony you are growing as a person!! :)

26. aemarchand11 says:

*IGNORE*

27. G-Man says:

Even a bad goalie faces a worse one sometimes…

28. aemarchand11 says:

*IGNORE*

29. aemarchand11 says:

Why is it that people here are still up in arms about Carey Price being the number 1 and Halak being traded. What’s done is done, and no matter how many people hate the decision there is no turning back now. Nobody on here is going to agree about everything, that would be foolish and quite frankly i wouldnt be interested in discussing things.

So, if Price does in fact take control and wins 35 games this eason will you all still be bashing? Because it will look real embarrasing looking back at all these posts of “Price Tanking” and already calling for his head. Reports have all said that Price has grown as a professional this season, which was good because he was cocky and didnt adapt well to the big city after his rookie year. Personal growth is a direct relation to how a person preforms, so lets see how it goes!

Dominic Moore was bashed when he was aquired, so was Gorges and many other players and people have changes their oppinions pretty fast. Then again, weve also acquired goats like Janne Niinimma. But maybe before people get negative they should wait to watch at least 20 games with the club and make oppinions based on that.

Just a thought.. Discuss if you like.

*this is a pre *IGNORE* to Tony242*

30. Storm Man says:

Biron maybe 3 or 4 years ago not now.

31. Tony000 says:

It’s all become clear now! Tony242 is Rejean Houle. Reggie figures if he bicthes enough on a public forum dedicated to the Habs he will start a grass routes movement to get his old job back. Hey wait a minute……..maybe Manapart is Mario Tremblay and RetroMikey is Eddy Palchak.

Forget it Reggie, it ain’t going to happen.

32. mike g says:

No Alex Auld jerseys,…..I wonder why? He’s such a great player,…anyways.

I was gonna write that Philly has the best defensive corps in the league, but then something striked me; the Wings. Now I;m not gonna give you a speech about the most successful franchise for the past 20 years, simply because we know exactly who they are. But, I really think that Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, and Kronwall is possibly the top defense in the league. They are old, but still. Anyways, Philly is f’kin retarded on defense now.

Shero might look to Afignogenov for a 2 year deal today. More than that is too long of a term for a player in his situation.

Vancouver will be fine. The only reason the Hawks killed them the past 2 years was because of the toughness of their forwards. Well, the Canucks simply adressed that problem by doing…..nothing! All they had to do was watch Bowman dismantle all tough ingredients from that squad. Vancouver will have a much easier time with the Hawks now.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

33. Bugs says:

I didn’t see those articles but I think I can explain the “bashing”:

If the Priceberg ever suffered an injury, say, or began playin like sh*te, a guy like Halak, Ellis, and even Biron, could be expected to carry the load with num1 aplomb for 20 games or so, or however long the Priceberg injury or sh*te-playin lasted because we’ve seen them do it WITH OUR OWN EYES.

Auld?

Never seen’m do it.

Only natural to expect SOME apprehension from the…”bashers”.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

34. Xtrahabsfan says:

The Tank is on for next season….TANK   TANK   TANK    TANK   TANK    TANK    …………………………………………………………………………………………………..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. SlovakHab says:

He’s a career .500 (83-82), so I would expect just that.

B.Burke is building the Bruins through the draft.

36. Mark C says:

Don’t forget Auld saved the Bruins 2007-2008 season by going 9-7-5, 2.32 GAA, .919%, he was a huge reason that team at least made the playoffs.

37. TomNickle says:

Haha, yeah and they’re gonna find out just how gritty Malhotra is when he isn’t playing for a roster spot or a new contract.

His grit will show up as often as Luongo’s modesty does.

38. likehoy says:

i think we would all love hamrlik to be off the books…but it’s not easy to move an aging 5.5m dman.

anyways gauthier’s holding onto hamrlik until kaberle’s dealt so we maximize his value and teams become more desperate for a defenseman :).

39. doug says:

Halak, Cammalleri (assuming you’re talking about 2010), Stones

40. aemarchand11 says:

……BURROWS!!! hahahaha

They did sign Manny Malholtra i guess..

41. Jbird says:

Habitual – I want the million bucks given to the great fans on this site to go to games for free. Airfare, hotels the whole nine yards. :-)

Serious, I don’t see CP’s bargaining power having changed at all.  How many offer sheets have been made in NHL history – 2? 3?.  Why do we think that a team is going to do this sasquatch move and make one for CP – who as most of us point out is an unproven goalie.  Its not going to happen. And if not how has his power in negotiations changed?

If anything I say his bargaining power has gone down in the last 24 hours right along with every other goalie who has not been signed yet.  Look up, the sky is still there.

42. TomNickle says:

Let’s just say that I think Carey Price is going to have to carry the load.

Auld has had success in the NHL with Ottawa and Vancouver though.

I just don’t think the the backup goaltender will dictate how our season goes David.

No need to get angry here.

43. likehoy says:

what’s up with the media bashing auld and saying he won’t be able to push carey price for playing time and then mentioning martin biron? were we really expecting biron to push price for playing time? maybe ellis yes, but i think we got away with good money committed to our back up.

as a back-up, we shouldn’t expect anymore than 20-30 games and a .500 record and i think auld can provide us that.

44. Psycho29 says:

So are you saying you ARE or ARE NOT happy with the job Mr.Gauthier and Mr.Gainey are doing?

45. doug says:

again, i’m with you SD.  that said, i found a measure of comfort and great insights below.

Why are you pretending to be a Habs fan? Do you troll other fan sites too?

47. aemarchand11 says:

Want a hug?

48. TomNickle says:

Hey Mike can you get me an Alex Auld jersey?

Philadelphia has the best Defensive corps in the League, not the East.

Ray Shero did improve his team dramatically yesterday, adding somebody on the wing not named Guerin could be a good idea.  Perhaps Afinogenov to go with Malkin?

Vancouver have made good moves in adding Ballard and Hamhuis.  Problem is, in trading Bernier they’ve all but voided themselves of grit up front.  Kesler may be the only player up front in that lineup who likes to get his nose dirty.  And if somebody replies with Burrows I’m gonna laugh you off of this board.

$4.5 million contracts to shot blockers don’t work out too well.

I disagree about San Jose Mike.  At least Dan Boyle won’t score on Nittymaki in the playoffs(I think).

As for Gomez, good for him.  Saku’s gone, people need to get over that.

49. aemarchand11 says:

Pitsburgh just got a lot better. If they can sign Kariya for a 1 year deal like he signed with Colorado, look for them to get Stanley again this year.

Flyers: Hate em cause of Pronger, but they really are a solid team.. without a goalie.. again!

Ottawa: Gonchar-Kovalev = Markov-Kovalev (Scary)

NJ: I think that, Volcehnkov will be worth it for about 3 years. But just like Jay McKee, injuries are going to catch up with him and then the deal will look like crap.

Sather: LOL, Gomez, Drury, Redden, Holik, BOOOOOGGGGARRRD. This guy is the worst.

Are you the type of person who when he hears a joke twice, once without a laugh track doesn’t get it and another time with a laugh track, thinks it’s funny?

“You need two good goaltenders and we’re going to make sure we have two good goaltenders with the team,” – Pierre Gauthier

C’mon. This is more placate the fans double speak. Don’t tell me Auld is a good goaltender.

51. PrimeTime says:

“Seek to Understand before trying to be Understood”

Quote….”These are the 2 worst GM’s in the NHL.” Ha…guess you don’t follow the NHL very much?? Get a grip!

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

52. PrimeTime says:

“Seek to Understand before trying to be Understood”

Doug McLean on Sportsnet is much closer to the “facts” than any of us and if what he says is true about Halak wanting out (again) then it just tells me that even Halak even knew he wouldnt be able to handle the pressure of repeating last season in front of the most critical fans in Hockey. Buh Bye Boy….enjoy the comforts of the Mid-West!!

53. habitual says:

Some very nice discussion in the posts below, at least around 24Cups anyway.

People want to wish Hammer away.  Who is going to take on his 5 million dollar salary?

Why doesn’t Moore seem to fit into the plans?  He was great when he came over.

Those of you who don’t think Price’s bargaining position has now increased, do you think he will now sign for the same $ he would have three weeks ago?

I think Price’s price went up by a million bucks for this season.  Let’s think about what we could do with that money …

54. mike g says:

Alright, enough of the boring old crap. I’m just gonna shoot-out whatever comes to my mind regarding yesterday…

-Derek Boogard, 1.6 mill for 4 years. Seriously Mr. Sather, wtf is going on buddy. I don’t even know what else to say…

-To all Flames fans, I really hope you’ve cancelled your season tickets today. I would never spend another penny on the Flames until the Sutters are gone.

-Ray Shero improved his defense in a responsable manner.

-The Flyers now have the best defense in the whole Eastern Conference, by far.

-Vancouver made some very solid additions yesterday. If Lou can play half decent come the playoffs, the West is completely wide open for them next year.

-Ottawa will have the best powerplay in our division, and possibly #1 or #2 in the Eastern Conference next year. Kovy, Gonch, Alfie, Spezza, and Karlsson. Very nice.

-NJ will regrett the signing of Volchenkov. Don’t get me wrong, he brings a ton to the rink every night. Problem is, the qualities he brings don’t usually add up to 4.5 million$. He benefitted from a very weak UFA crop. Remember, he hasn’t scored more than 3 or 4 goals per year in his career. Him and Komisarek just sucked the bank out of their new teams.

-SJ….Oh boy. I don’t know how you replace an unclutch all-star goaltender with a wannabe #1 goaltender. That signing reeks of fish.

-It sucks to say this, but the Hawks will be a shadow of themselves next year. That team was built with 2 qualities in mind; skill and tougness. The skill still remains, but every inch of toughness not named Bolland is gone. Ben Eager, Byfuglien, Laad, Versteeg, Sopel, Burrish, and GONE! If anyone really thinks they can make another serious run for the Cup, please convince me. I can’t believe this, but I now consider the Canucks the #1 favorite to come out of the West.

And………some Habs news of course. Scott Gomez has decided to change #91 to #11. Thanks alot Scotty, my t-shirt is worth balls now.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

55. TomNickle says:

- 15,342

56. Ground Chuck says:

Bah!

57. TomNickle says:

Last week you were semi-happy about the direction they were going and now because they’ve signed Auld instead of Biron, Ellis or Turco you’re calling them a 20th place team?

58. sholi2000.com says:

They Call Me Shane

59. sholi2000.com says:

They Call Me Shane

60. aemarchand11 says:

The 2010 parade already happened foolish man.

*IGNORE*

61. aemarchand11 says:

I think you had relations with Gauthier and you now think he is cheating on you with Gainey.. it all makes sense now…

Are you crying out for attention? Cause I think all you need is a hug.

The reason why Auld was signed is that even he can make Price look good. Ka-zing!

The bottom line is the bottom line. PG has orders to make the playoffs not win the Cup. C’mon people!! This is the Montreal Canadiens we’re talking about. Not some small-market team with “when we win the Stanley Cup we’re all of a sudden interested in our team” fans.

I hate to agree with that POS Tony242 but the Habs have been giving away picks like they’re Canadian Tire money and are the furthest thing away from a rebuild.

The good news is that come trade dead-line the Habs will be sitting at 20th over-all with a chance to make the draft lottery. The bad news is the Habs, rather than trade AKost, Hamrlik and Markov to get younger, free up cap space for the next year and grab two extra 2st round picks to have 3 1st rounders in 2011 will instead trade away Eller and Schultz for Marty Biron in the hopes that he can help the Habs finished 16th over-all.

Evil HH.

63. TomNickle says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

64. Jbird says:

Why not go all the way and say that auld will go 0 – 20 – 0 with a .600 sv pct.

65. Storm Man says:

Brazil +1.

66. aemarchand11 says:

oh oh oh.. **IGNORE**

67. TomNickle says:

That’s terrible.

I don’t ever want to be that low.

68. Jbird says:

I agree with you.  Lots of fuss over Auld over Biron?!?  huh?  I gather that most people are just mad about Halak – and think that Price will stink making the Back Up goalie very very important.  They might be right, but that is what it is – people still mad about Halak to STL – people mad at PG for Halak wanting to leave.

69. PeterStone says:

you know there arent holdouts anymore.  If you dont sign by some date ( october ? novemeber ? ) you are done for the season !

No alternatives if he doesnt come back ?? Are you serious ?  Theodore doesnt have a job .. Nabs … Turco … plenty of goalies if ours overvalues his worth.

70. TomNickle says:

I’m sure they want to get him for cheap on a long term deal.

And I’m sure he doesn’t want to commit himself to a salary that could potentially be half of what he could stand to make in 3 years.

That said, he isn’t going to sit out the season and an offer sheet going his away in the ballpark of $4-$5 million annually isn’t realistic.  Kevin Lowe isn’t a GM anymore.

71. HabFanSince72 says:

Didn’t I tell you all about the Dutch? Very pedestrian.