The morning after the night before

More pressure on Price – Pat Hickey

• Arpon Basu not impressed by Auld signing

• Neither is Yvon Pedneault

François Gagnon’s take

You must be Jokinen – Eric Duhatschek

• Scott Burnside grades the signings

• Jim Kelley: Huge bucks aren’t out there

1. PeterStone says:

you know there arent holdouts anymore.  If you dont sign by some date ( october ? novemeber ? ) you are done for the season !

No alternatives if he doesnt come back ?? Are you serious ?  Theodore doesnt have a job .. Nabs … Turco … plenty of goalies if ours overvalues his worth.

2. TomNickle says:

I’m sure they want to get him for cheap on a long term deal.

And I’m sure he doesn’t want to commit himself to a salary that could potentially be half of what he could stand to make in 3 years.

That said, he isn’t going to sit out the season and an offer sheet going his away in the ballpark of $4-$5 million annually isn’t realistic.  Kevin Lowe isn’t a GM anymore.

3. HabFanSince72 says:

Didn’t I tell you all about the Dutch? Very pedestrian.

4. G-Man says:

It will most likely be 2-15-3 and an .895 save pctge.

5. PeterStone says:

frankly, if the acquisition of a backup goalie is going to cause that much of a stir, then we have bigger issues.  They already decided Price was the guy … I guess they are going to pay and pray that Price comes through. If they turn out to be wrong, so be it.

Personally I think Price is the least of their problems.

6. RGM says:

See my comment below on the difference between Price and the gentlemen you mentioned.

Scotty Bowman said it best: “Don’t trade Carey Price.”

7. Habhopeful says:

There I said it…I mean it…Kinda…I believe…I really do!

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

8. RGM says:

There is, of course, a significant difference between signing Carey Price and signing one of Turco/Nabokov – Carey Price is 22 years old, while both Turco & Nabokov are 34 years old. Carey has his entire career ahead of him while you can argue that the best days for the two veterans are well behind them. Say you’re the Washington Capitals or Colorado Avalanche or even the San Jose Sharks after dropping $2M per season on Nittymaki and you’re not 100% certain about your goaltending situation, and you’ve got the cap space available. You figure, “We look to be a top 10 team this season, a pick in the mid-to-high 20’s is worth giving up for this kid,” so you pitch a 3-year deal his way for $4M-$5M per season. This is not at all inconceivable.

Ultimately, I think that the Habs and Price, if they are indeed apart in negotiations and not finalizing the details as we speak, it will come down to term. I would bet that the Habs are looking for a long-term deal that says, “You are our guy,” for a long time, whereas Price is possibly looking for a 3-year contract that takes him to UFA status when it’s done. The money they can figure out easily enough, but it’s long-term assurances as to the future that could be the snag, if such a snag exists, that is.

Scotty Bowman said it best: “Don’t trade Carey Price.”

9. TorontoHabsFan says:

“If ever there was a situation where a holdout would be
    in order, I would imagine this would be it. If I’m Price’s agent Gerry
    Johansson, I’m shooting for the moon with this contract…Johansson knows very well the
    Habs have no recourse if his client isn’t taken care of
    , and he can use
    that to his advantage.”

Absurd. Price can’t and won’t hold out – he, his agent, and everyone else in the world knows that Nabokov, Turco, Theodore, and Emery are desperate for work. Price’s position of strength is greatly exaggerated for effect.

10. HabFanSince72 says:

This is what I’ve been saying all along. Halak didn’t want to stay.

11. HabFanSince72 says:

Size – I agree, but the boys showed a lot of grit in the playoffs.

12. TomNickle says:

I’ll go ahead and assume that you meant Auld and not Boyd.

I’m not a big fan of the signing but I won’t judge it until the season has played itself out.

If Auld plays in 20 games for the Habs this season and goes something like 12-5-3 with a 2.600 GAA and a save percentage of .905 I’m not going to be complaining.

13. Mark C says:

Basu is wrong, unless an offer sheet comes along (unlikely) Price has two options 1) sign a contract with Montreal or 2) hold out, and not play hockey or get paid (a very poor end game). Montreal management still holds the hammer in this negotiation.  Management’s position of strength has decreased only factions of percentage points here.

14. afik says:

You are right and i agree with you! But that doesn’t answer the question. What stands here at stake is the decision itself to bring Boyd as an alternative. This is what peple are so critical about.

Dave – It’s too late to edit now that I know I misread the amount.

It’s the first mistake by a poster on H I/O since it’s inception and it had to be me!  Damn it.

Are there any points for owning up to your mistakes?

Have a great weekend and say hello to the boys.

16. TomNickle says:

I wasn’t going to bring this up today but I continue to see questioning on Gauthier’s decision to trade Price.

Last night on Sportsnet, Doug Maclean, hockey executive who has numerous relationships in the NHL said “Halak’s camp forced the trade out of Montreal, Gauthier didn’t want to do it. Halak told Pierre Gauthier and Bob Gainey at the end of the season that he wanted to move on”.

Please consider that the next time you roast Gauthier’s marshmellows over the fire.

1.  LMAO.  I realized as my fingers hit the keys that I was being a bit melodramatic.  I guess I’m a bit wound up seeing that it’s July 1st and my team basically didn’t do anything.  I need to settle my nerves but you can’t drink here in Ontario until 10AM.  I’ll be better in another 8 minutes:-)

2.  I saw a ton of heart but I still feel we need more size, grit and hitting ability.  I also think we have to ask ourselves a question.  Was that the real Habs in the playoffs or was it some Disney like run that really isn’t truly indicative of where the teamis at?  I’m hoping it’s the former but we’ll have to wait and see.

18. Rugger says:

Price, Cami & the Dead

19. Jbird says:

Price, Cammy and the Stones: They are not dead to me.

20. Rugger says:

For the first time, I actually think Basu’s comments are complete BS.  Price is coming of a year in which he lost the starting role, he has no arbitration, the perception is he has a “bad attitude” so let’s make that perception worse by holding out at this point.  Fine, sit out the year what do you expect to get for a contract next year?  Look at the Goalies that are not going to be working this year, will the starting positions open up for him next year?  Holding out now would be a major shot in his own foot.

21. Ground Chuck says:

I’m happy with the arrangement, because it means that Price will finally get the development opportunity that last season should have been for him. At least he’s a year older, wiser, and more mature. The “lose a game and you’re benched” attitude did nothing to develop his skills. Let him play, make mistakes, and learn how to fight through adversity. That’s what you need from your #1.

The team isn’t scoring for him? At least now that won’t be an excuse not to give him the next start.

22. afik says:

All critics are right! Gauthier’s recent decisions really worries me (releasing Halak and signing Boyd). Indeed, maybe he’ll become a revelation this seasont (Boyd) and prove to be worth it. It really doesn’t matter. The point is that Gauthier doesn’t know that. The risk is too high. Nobody realy understands what is going on.  Apron Basu seems to be right by saying: “I’m wondering where on that alphabetical chart the
    signing of Alex Auld fit in?
    Clearly, Plan A was signing Dan Ellis to play alongside
    Carey Price and challenge him for ice time. But when that didn’t work,
    what was the next option? Auld? Really?”.

You’re right.  I could have sworn that it was reported that Hedberg went for $500000 but it is 1.5M with a no-trade clause.  I’d still take Hedberg over Auld but Gauthier hasn’t signed Price so he really doesn’t know what he’s got to spend so it’s a mute point.  I went nuts this morning when I read that Hedberg signed (allegedly) for 500 grand!!!

Kristo.  I realize that he is developing quite nicely but he’s still just a prospect.  Ladd is just 24 and ready to contribute now so I can live with the gamble.

24. TomNickle says:

Is it possible that Price hasn’t signed yet because Gauthier has had his priorities focused on UFA day and possible trades?

Price does have a small position of strength I would concede.  But at the end of the day we’re in a deep goalie market where somebody would have to commit around $5 million annually to Price to get him from the Habs.  Is there a team in the NHL willing to surrender that number of draft picks for Price when they can sign a Nabakov or Turco without surrendering draft choices?

Price’s leverage is make believe.  He’s an RFA available to sign an offer sheet which the Habs can match.  Price might be waiting on an offer sheet to beef up his contract, if it doesn’t come, he’ll be signing a short term deal for market value dollars, which I believe is around $3 million annually.

25. mrhabby says:

Steve…hedberg sign for less money that auld..really. i agree on Ladd why could that not happen is beyond me as well, a very good player and getting better.

What really bothers me is we did not get any nasty players. our 5 on 5 was dreadful and were thrown around like rags dolls in some games last season really frustrating to watch…flyers, laffs etc got bigger and nastier.

Its beyond me what Calgary did ..unreal actually. Talk about job security.

26. The Big One says:

Hamrlik is the most logical trade, but he makes a tonne of money.  In the perfect fantasy world, you trade him for a prospect or draft pick, and sign a guy like Frolov.  I think one issue that Mtl. faces is that they don’t have a guy who can play up in the top 6 if there is an injury.  For example, what if Gionta is out for 3 months?  Options are very limited.

27. TomNickle says:

Kubina back in Tampa Bay.

28. showey47 says:

I think the scenrio in hamilton is going to be similar to what is going on in montreal this upcoming season. To me it looks like desjardins is being groomed by sanford in the minors to prepare desjardins to be a backup in montreal next season. This could be why montreal only wanted to invest 1 year in a backup goalie for price. Investing in auld for only 1 season gives the habs options for the following season. They could either bring up desjardins or if he isn’t ready resign auld,or another backup,for one more year.

29. TomNickle says: is the most reputable site on the net for actual facts when it comes to trades, signings etc.

Not even a contest.

Only media outlet that had speculated on Moore to Montreal.

30. aemarchand11 says:

91.3% of the time Price can stop the puck. Silly boy.

31. SmartDog says:

From Basu’s column:

If ever there was a situation where a holdout would be in
    order, I would imagine this would be it. If I’m Price’s agent Gerry
    Johansson, I’m shooting for the moon with this contract. The Canadiens
    were negotiating from a position of strength before trading Halak and
    signing Auld, but they aren’t anymore. Johansson knows very well the
    Habs have no recourse if his client isn’t taken care of, and he can use
    that to his advantage.
    I’m sure he doesn’t want to holdout and will likely sign
    prior to training camp, but the way Gauthier has handled this situation –
    or at least the order in which he’s gone about his business – has
    empowered Price a great deal.

This is exactly the kind of thing that pisses me off. When I GM hires someone, trades for someone, etc. we can all argue the merits of that player. Sometimse we’re right, sometimes we’re wrong.  We find out.

But order of things has put the player clearly in the driver’s seat.  In a cap world you can’t do that.  This is a simple business strategy that any first year MBA would know.  I’m not impressed with the way Gauthier handles things.  From trading a 2nd round pick for Moore and then even after he played so well, not working to sign the guy, to this goalie f-k up.  Alex Auld, and PRICE in the driver’s seat in contract negotiations.  Can you say cluster f-k?  I can.

And it’s the same issue with the Gomez deal. Everyone says “I love Gomez except for his contract”.  Gomez is an exciting player and well worth 4 million a year.  But you can’t seperate the player from the contract in today’s NHL. And Gauthier is handing Price a better contract than he deserves – and just as important – better than he HAD TO.  Which means less money for other guys.  It’s just bad management.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

32. TommyB says:

I have no problem with being “all in” with Price.  Let’s run with him this year, with no crutch (aka a challenger for number 1).  Let’s find out what we have in Carey Price once and for all.  Geeez, maybe he’ll even surprise many of you.  And hey, I’m going to Vegas and putting money on Halak not wearing a ring next spring either.

33. avatar_58 says:

Price and Cammy. Why? Because they are habs. Why would I care what ex-habs are up to?

34. G-Man says:

Too many concussions. He should retire before he really bleeps himself up.

35. aemarchand11 says:

Maybe Biron wanted a 2 year contract and the habs only wanted to offer 1?

36. avatar_58 says:

Coming to work the day after game 7 against washington wearing my habs shirt, and seeing TONS of hab fans in timmies and everywhere else. 😀 What a glorius day that was

37. TomNickle says:

Cammalleri(bigger the game, better he is)

Beatles, and the easiest decision of the 3.

38. aemarchand11 says:

The Fourth Period tweeted last night that the Habs were dangling Andrei K as trade bait. He broke a couple trades and signings last night so I do not question his integrety, like I do Eklund.

There was also rumors that LA was ready to trade for a Defenceman, Maybe its Hamrlik. Which may sound ludicrous, but the first thing everyone here said when we signed him was how he molded Phaneuf. Well LA has a lot of young guys down there and Roman could do what he does best and mentor them. I wouldnt be suprised to see him re-sign for a lot less money down there and take a run for the cup?

I see Gauthier making a change or two along with a signing depending on cap space. He is just waiting for pricing to go down.

39. dh says:

Don’t write off Mrs. Howell.

40. c.robillard says:

Price, Cammi, Beatles, but I’d still listen to the Stones

41. G-Man says:

Controversy, schmontroversy. I want someone that will stop the bleeping puck. These 2 can’t with any consistency.

42. TomNickle says:

His case is much like Marleau’s.  He’s playing for money next season.  It very likely won’t matter where it is.

Anybody other than San Jose giving Marleau $7 million per season?

43. TommyB says:

See….I like that.  Practicality.

44. G-Man says:

Halak, Cammi, and both.

45. HabFanSince72 says:

1. It breaks your heart that we signed Auld instead of Hedberg? Really? Your heart?

2. Not gritty? Did you miss the playoffs this year?

46. TomNickle says:

I’m not sold on Eller making the team out of camp either but considering his skill set I don’t find it hard to believe that he could end up on the left wing playing with Cammalleri and Plekanec.

Pouliot and Kostitsyn have shown they can be physical scoring forwards, consistency is the only problem.

And I find it debatable that they need a “BIG” guy who can score.  I find it would be much more valuable to the team to find a guy who can pin the puck down low in the offensive zone and create space in front of the net.

What big guy that can score is available that can help this team immediately either by trade or the ufa market?

47. SlovakHab says:

Halak, Cammalleri and the Beatles.

But: Price + Eller + Schultz + cap space for Plekanec > Halak

Koivu at 27 > Cammi at 27

48. smiler2729 says:

Didn’t I do this on Tuesday?

49. SlovakHab says:

24, Hedberg signed for 1.5M. How on earth would he sign for less than 1M in Montreal, with the taxes and everything.

Moving Hamrlik? Not sure it would be a good idea. Imagine Markov misses the first 10 games and Hamrlik is gone. We would be left with Subban, O’B, Spacek, Gill and Gorges. As you know, injuries are frequent in the NHL – it is a tough league. Imagine 1 more player goes down, has a flu or underperforms.. We could start the season with a 3-7 record…

Ladd? He went for a 2nd rounder and Vishnevski, who is ATL’s 2nd best prospect. Who would you throw in? Kristo or Leblanc?

50. HabFanSince72 says:

Tommy – I’m sure the Habs would want to bring back Desjardins and continue to develop him as an asset.  It’s difficult to believe that he wouldn’t be in Hamilton this year.

Why would the Habs re-sign Sanford?  Not to replace Desjardins but to act as insurance policy for Auld in case he fumbles and stumbles.

The Habs netminding situation is quite simple – it’s Price or nothing going into the season.  We’re all in with Carey and there’s no turning back.

52. TommyB says:

4. Ginger or MaryAnne?

53. Shublips says:

I guess I should have specified that they are still too small on the top two lines.  And yes, I know that AK and Pouliot are big guys but they have yet to show that they can play that rugged style consistently.

As for Eller, there is no guarantee he will even make the team out of camp and if he does, he will likely be the third line center.

Boyd is a fourth line center so he doesn’t help the top two lines either.  No, the Habs need scoring size on their top two lines otherwise, barring a huge turnaround by Pouliot and AK—which is not out of the realm of possibilites—this team will be no better offensively than they were last year.

Habs –
    Facebook –
    Twitter –

54. TommyB says:

Then I guess he is still there.  I just wondered because his name wasn’t being mentioned.  Hey, I could have gone and looked at the site myself….but why would I?  You know someone here is going to give you the answer quicker than you can look it up yourself.  God bless HIO.

55. Puck Bard says:

Survey (with control variable)

1.  Price or Halak

2.  Koivu or Cami

3.  Beatles or Stones

56. smiler2729 says:

What does Philadelphia want?

Naturally a goalie but they missed that boat. Unless they’re willing to take AK46 and/or the Hamrlik contract in some sort of deal, there’s nothing here for the Habs.

I don’t think Gagne’s one of those french Canadians that cares if he plays in Montreal or not (wasn’t he a Nordiques fan growing up?), another Alex Tanguay.

57. The Big One says:

A couple of thoughts on the signings.

– Boyd at 650 k is a pretty good deal.  A low cost bottom 6 is how you have to operate in this cap era.  He’ll have some impact.

– This Auld signing doesn’t look great a first glance, but it does 2 things.  He is relatively cheap in comparison to other goalie signings yesterday, and has alot of experience playing in different situations.  Secondly, he’ll be a backup without any contreversy.  Price will be the definitive #1.

– After the season, Gauthier noted that he knew that the team had some weaknesses, and new that he had to work on them.  The bottom six has been filled out, but I can’t help to wonder if he is trying to upgrade their top 6.

It breaks my heart to think that we could have signed Johan Hedberg instead of Alex Auld and probably for less money.  G&G panicked big time on this one.  In a buyer’s market they got the 13th egg from a baker’s dozen.

It also drives me nuts that Gauthier couldn’t clear out any cap space.  I realize everyone thinks we should wait until the trade deadline but I would have moved now (Hamrlik) so we could have grabbed other assets.

I really would have liked to have made a trade for Andrew Ladd.  I believe we have a 2nd rounder coming for Fischer (not signing) and we could have thrown in a propsect who is a few years away (which is exactly what Chicago is trading for).  Ladd would have competed with AK46 and Pouliot for one of the positions on the top three lines.  He has good size and likes to hit.  Might have helped on the PP.  Ready for prime time.

We still aren’t gritty enough.  But something tells me that doesn’t matter to Martin so what’s the point of lamenting the issue.

The deals for Gonchar, St. Louis, Jokinen/Tanguay and Booguard are beyond my comprehension.  Gonchar and St. Louis are quallity players but you are really rolling the dice with contracts that can never be taken off the cap.  Both guys will be pushing 40 near the end of their long term contracts.  Risky business.  Sather once agin proves that he is a complete jackass when it comes to being a GM.  Sutter would be fired in any other city.  He is still living off his name aned past glories.

59. 123456 says:

i’d swap hammer for gagne in a heartbeat but the flyers would not do that – they have cap issues and do not need a dman.

secret mod

60. TomNickle says:

Funny I was under the impression that Eller and Boyd made the forward group bigger.  Maybe I’m still suffering from yesterday’s events.

61. Shublips says:

I don’t hate the Auld signing.  Was it the best option out there for them?  Nope.  Is it the worst thing that could have happened?  Nope.

At the end of the day, that Habs didn’t want to spend more than $1 million on a backup and, if you follow Arpon Basu, apparently told Biron they weren’t interested when he called them to test the waters.

So, they bring in Auld on a one year deal in a move that is low-risk.  They know they have a ton of money coming off of the books next summer, so this move gives them the maximum amount of options going forward including: re-siging Auld if they love him, letting Sanford and Desjardins challenge for the backup spot, and bringing in a compeletely different backup next year.

Also, it makes Price the clear cut No.1 on this team, undisputed.  No goalie controversies.  No French/English debate.  And, whether you agree with the move or not, you have to respect that fact that the Habs want Price to be their number one, sink or swim, and want nothing to impede that.

While, as usual, everyone is focused on the goaltending situation, the problem is that this team STILL can’t score and is still too small up front.  As of right now, this team is NOT better than last year’s team.  All they have done, so far, is to move sideway.

62. Puck Bard says:

Site has him still up, unless I missed something…

63. TomNickle says:

Doug Maclean tweeted last night that Simon Gagne has played his last game as a Flyer.

If I’m Gauthier I’m trying to move out some salary to make a deal with them happen.

Gagne isn’t big, he doesn’t always stay healthy.  But I have two words.

Anybody think Gagne will sit out with a hang nail when he’s got millions on the line?

Anybody think he’ll take nights and shifts off when it could mean demotion from Martin?

He plays bigger than he is and he scores TIMELY goals.

I’ll put it this way, I’d rather invest $5.5 million in him for one season than Roman.

64. habs001 says:

hopefully plecks and gomez will not be over used in the reg season as we will have some of our 3rd and 4th liners stepping up and be effective on the pk…i wonder how the points will be played by martin on the pp…will markov and subban play together …who will be the second pairing…also who will replace markov till he is back on the pp….i hope we try a forward on the pp as last year when we had injuries martin kept sending gorges and hammer out on the second pp and it did not produce but martin kept sending them out..the pp and pk will be huge for us this year as scoring will be a premium again…gomez and plecks also have to work on winning draws when the pk and pp starts and when the oppostion team pulls their goalie…

65. SlovakHab says:

The best memory: Waking up in the morning in Prague and my friend telling me that we won game 7 against the Penguins (couldn’t watch it at night).

The worst memory: Up 4-1 and losing 5-6 to the Capitals in Game 2 of the series. I have never been so upset with a hockey game so much.

66. TommyB says:

But he’s still with us?  Good.  Desjardins was an AHL all-star last year.  He’s as ready as Alex Auld, IMO.  So, as I stated, our depth chart in goal seems fine to me.

67. Puck Bard says:

He’s not ready.

68. TommyB says:

Where does Cedric Desjardins fit into the equation?  Price and Auld with the big club, and it was mentioned (by Hickey, I think) that Sanford has been retained in Hamilton.  Is Desjardins still in Hamilton with Sanford, or was Desjardins a free agent and moved on as well?  I haven’t heard anything about him.  If Desjardins is still with us, then I will not be too worried about the depth chart in goal.  Capable goaltending is all you need, apparently, if we are to remember this year’s playoffs.  A major reason the Habs had to rely on Halak’s “heroics” (guess his shot-blocking D had little to do with it), was the fact that the Habs have trouble putting the puck in the net.  Score more goals, and our goaltending situation is just fine.

69. 123456 says:

nice post, while other yells and scream and say the auld deal is terrible and the habs will finish in last place – at least you bring a though to your statements. i totally understand your point of view, mgmt must think auld can carry a lot more games than sanford can…

secret mod

70. pic1983 says:

You raise a good point.  I think I would have been happy giving 1-1.5 million to either Dan Ellis or Martin Biron.  Giving $1million to alex auld leaves me scratching my head.

71. TomNickle says:

Travis Moen blocking a shot that clearly broke at least one of his ribs, staying down for about two seconds, and then getting up like nothing happened.

72. pic1983 says:

Seeing as I was at the game and saw it live, Im going to have to say Halaks 50+ save performance in Game 6 against the capitals.

73. TomNickle says:

I don’t like the Auld signing and here’s why.

I find Sanford to be just as capable, just as experienced in terms of time in pro hockey and very likely just as successful.

If you have Desjardins, why not wait until the end of the month to get him a cheap backup for Hamilton on a 2 way deal.  There will be PLENTY of goalies available on August 1st.

If Auld was the decision for $1 million this year, I don’t see how that could be better than Sanford at $500k.

I don’t get paid to make these decisions though and Gauthier isn’t stupid, hopefully this works out.

74. habs001 says:

camm and gion performed as well as they can in the playoffs…barring injuries we know that they will perform in the regular season along with plecks and gomez…the rest of the forwards are all big question marks…ak46 is the only other forward who has shown he can score at the 20+ goals…but he sometimes scores 5 goals in 10 games and than scores 2 in the next 20…pouliot has only shown scoring for a 30 game stretch in his entire career and now finished the year with one goal in 32 games….the rest of our forwards from last year have shown very little scoring abilities…that leaves us eller who has upside but has only played 7 nhl games and boyd who could turn into a 20 goal guy…it does not look like we can add any proven goal scorers to the line up …

75. 123456 says:

OK now that is has been some time since the Habs post season run – what is each person’s most memerable moment (if you have one).

Mine has to be game 1 against the caps – an OT winner that set the tone for the nice run. recall the trash talking between jose and pleks before the game…. then pleks netted the OT winner