The morning after the night before

More pressure on Price – Pat Hickey

• Arpon Basu not impressed by Auld signing

• Neither is Yvon Pedneault

François Gagnon’s take

You must be Jokinen – Eric Duhatschek

• Scott Burnside grades the signings

• Jim Kelley: Huge bucks aren’t out there

1. B says:

So a smart GM should always trade a goalie after he has a terrific season?

2. says:

They Call Me Shane

3. Propwash says:

In short, I don’t think Halak would have repeated this year’s performance, its happened more often than not amongst goaltenders. They have a terrific season, get signed for way more money, then take their foot off the gas.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

4. gauver says:

Do you really think so?  I think that there is good reason to believe that the team will finish with more than 88 points and a higher seed than 8th next season.

• While there will still be injuries to some of our top players, I would be very surprised if our team experienced the same number games missed as last season (i.e. Markhov-57; Andrei Kostitsyn-23; Gionta-21; Cammalleri-17)
    • Different players all commented in interviews about how the team came together during the playoffs; I think that it is reasonable to expect that newly-found chemistry to carry into next season from the word go
    • We discovered that Gorges and Gill together are a very effective shut-down defensive pair; this will spare Markhov from that task
    • Markhov (when back and healthy) plus Subban will provide more offense from the blue line
    • Andrei playing in a contract year and without the distraction of his younger brother
    • Pouliot playing for a full season with everything to prove
    • More stability in line combinations
    • Lapierre showed us in the playoffs the kind of player he can be.  This plus the addition of Dustin Boyd and Lars Eller makes our third and fourth lines better.

Of course, Price must play to his potential consistently; this and some of the other assumptions I have made above are certainly debateable.  Even at its best, I don’t think that the current roster is good enough to win a Stanley Cup.  My point is that there are good reasons for optimism.

5. Storm Man says:

It is called history. Time to move on and see what his stats will be this season.

6. Bill H says:

Very good point Jean.  These kind of things are often overlooked by the arm chair GMs around here.

7. Bill H says:

Why doesn’t Moore seem to fit into the plans?  He was great when he came

Good question.  How much is Moore askng?  What term does he want?  We don’t know, even in the age of the tweeting twitter.  It seems Boyd signed for less than Moore could be had for.  And its a one year deal.  I was pleasantly surprised at what Moore brought to the team last year. Too bad he had to go.

8. TripleX says:

Last season in 41 games Price was 13-20-5.  My math is bad so is that .500?

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

9. TripleX says:

I have a question?  Will that 2 or 3 million dollar player that it buys replace what Halak brings?

10. TripleX says:

Saying that Price will win 35 games could also look very embarrassing for you looking back.  So what is your point?  Everyone makes predictions that is what we do on HIO.

The Dominic Moore acquisition was bashed because PG gave up a  2nd round pick and many thought it was too much for a player that was available for nothing earlier in the season.  Now that is looks likely Moore is not coming back it makes the move even more suspect.

So after 20 games we are allowed to make critical comments?  Why thank you.

ps people are upset about Halak leaving because of what he accomplished a couple of months ago but maybe you missed it

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

11. KenD29 says:

Where he was offered $500k more plus an extra year. Will not have to pay extraodinary taxes, and more importantly, have a LEGITIMATE shot at starting more than 20 games!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

12. TomNickle says:

It looked like the words of a frustrated man, but no worries.

On the defensive play.  I have no doubt the team will be better defensively with another year of Martin.  But Roman Hamrlik to me is the biggest liability we could have.  For the record, I’d be upset if we were paying that guy the league minimum on our team.  I’d rather have Weber with the big club in all honesty.

I hear the argument that he logged big minutes when Markov was gone.  And it is accurate.  But he logged big minutes on a team that was bad defensively without Markov and went 6 games under .500.

If you’re logging big minutes in a ton of losses, it stands to reason that you’re more valuable off the team than on it.

13. Ground Chuck says:

I know you are, but what am I?

14. Max_a_million says:

Young players get better by playing.  That’s why I wanted O’Byrne to play more.

I don’t think Auld was at all the best value they could have gotten for a million bucks, but playing Care y 60+ games is the way to push him to fulfill his potential.  I am not a fan of the back and forth hot goalie technique.  You learn by making mistakes, and taking chances.  Let him swim or get out of the pool.

15. Ground Chuck says:

“Like I told you, what I said… Steal your face right off your head…”