The maul in St. Paul

4474344

A team that never scores bagged eight goals.

Sunday evening hockey is just weird. And it’s earned the Canadiens Monday off, practice resuming in Brossard at 10:30 am Tuesday for that night’s game vs. the Buffalo Sabres.

Pat Hickey’s game story

White felt at home

Quick Hits/About Sunday evening …

• Red Fisher on Price’s forgettable Friday

Arpon Basu on the bounce back

Wild embarrassed

Kristo back in action

Jack Todd on Matt Cooke

GQ’s worst fans: Look who’s number 11 (and worst in the NHL)

• Pierre Ladouceur’s weekly player ratings

1. Coach K says:

Anybody else notice a funny moment between Hammer and Price during the 3rd period break?

Hammer comes to the bench for some air and a drink. Price reaches over with a towel and a mischievous grin on his mug and then starts seriously mopping the sweat off Hammer’s brow as Hammer chuckles. Kinda gives you a little insight into how tight these guys are becoming as a team. I think it’s great that the young guys and veterans have that kind of chemistry.

“just shut up and play against him” – BG

2. habstrinifan says:

OK here’s some provocative thoughts while we bask in the joy of P.K.’s hat trick and the 8-1 win over Minnesota.

First half of Period 1. After the first two goals Minnesota were ALL OVER habs. There is no WAY this should have happened. Minny is NOT a good team. Not a good sign. Is it the players or the coach responsible for this trait.

Of course the HABS PULLED OUT OF IT and won but I ask anyone to look at the 10 minutes or so of period 1 including the good habs start.

Second on P.K’s post game interview he quoted the asst coach as telling him and I PARAPHASE ” I cant get mad at you because it turned out OK but I dont want you doing that.”.

Reaction?? The Great Don Shula used to approach it differently. Do your stuff but YOU get HELL if it turns out bad.

Thirdly:
    WHITE: I hope that the coach recognizes and rewards this player with least 10 mins or so every game. Not treat him as we have treated ‘fighters’ in MTL recently.. where they only play to 3 minutes and get fed up of the treatment.

Hope I get responses, especially to the first point. But if you are responding please mentally review the first 10 minutes of the game.

• LA Loyalist says:

Well, you are right of course. But in this case I just think it’s a human nature thing, not Hab specific. An early lead is dangerous in any sport. Ducks were up 3-0 on Calgary last night and nearly blew it. Coach’s warn about this all the time, but I think the trick is when the momentum starts shifting away from you to be aware and take a time out or make some tactical adjustment – that’s the coach’s point to step up.

• Coach K says:

Have to say I agree with LA Loyalist to some degree. I think that most importantly, they’re still by and large, a very tired hockey team thanks to their recent schedule. They probably wanted to get a good start knowing that Minny played the previous day so they came out flying to get the jump on them. I just think that its challenging to maintain that intensity level for 20 straight minutes, particularly given the fatigue factor.

If there’s a major positive (other than the scoring) it was that they took a lot fewer penalties than normal – which tend to be a momentum killer. This suggests that either their discipline or their fatigue level is improving. Either is a good sign.

3. Mattyleg says:

Hey!! What the hell is this whole ‘pin’ thing about??

I thought I knew everything, and this is creating a gaping hole in my ego.

NOT COOL, GUYS!

Yours, etc.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habfan53 says:

Dave bought a pin last year at a flea market that has 3 pucks in a net and says “HAT TRICK” he was going to present it to the first HAB to score one it has been over a year. I bet he never guessed it was going to be PK

4. Jim Edson says:

Boone,

Nice pun!

Maul in St. Paul, very nice but were were you tempted to use the title “Maul of America” but couldn’t bring yourself to face the commentariat abuse it would inspire?

5. habfan53 says:

Noticed that PK lost the 1st star of the night to Blake Geoffrion who got a hat trick for Nashville. Blake is the 1st 4th generation NHL’er and we can be proud that the first 3 all played in Montreal

• slapshot777 says:

I still say it today. That I know people don’t like to say it, but I don’t like even bringing it up. It is a colour thing. PK has 3 goals and 1 assist totalling 4 points. Geoffrion had only 3 goals. This was a no brainer. Points wins the standings. Yet Subban gets snubbed again.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

6. habfan53 says:

To Dave Stubbs: Does this mean that you will present that GREAT pin to PK tomorrow morning?

7. Propwash says:

Cool, there’s an edit feature now!

8. Richard B says:

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT HABS SCORE 8 AND NEITHER GOMEZ OR GIONTA HAVE A POINT?
    CUZ THEY BOTH SUCK…THATS Y!

9. SLYDER says:

cammy pleks AK
    gio gomez max-pac
    pouliot eller moen
    white DD pulashaj

markov-PK
    wiz-gorges
    hammer-sopel
    mara (for bruins games)

…sigh…

10. Chips says:

Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3……

And how bad was Minnesota anyhow????

I had a dream last night that I met Claude Julien in a bar and we started talking hockey. I said that head shots need to be taken out of the game. He disagreed. That about sums up his coaching style.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

New Site Looks pretty cool. As did PK last night.
    I knew he’d be good but man, this guy is just as good as Doughty or Seabrook for sure.

13. habs365 says:

Good to see the young guys coming through….as for friday night against the rangers….don’t blame carey….every team has a bad game….ask the wild.

14. lori007 says:

Great rebound game last night! Happy for PK and all the boys – looking forward to the big Bruins game on Thursday! Going to be a tough stretch until the end of season! Keep it up HIO and let’s go les boys!

15. DrewCareyPriceIsRight says:

I have a serious man-crush on Auld’s mask. When I catch a quick glimpse during game action I get flashbacks of the Dryden days and the teams that played in front of him and that makes me nostalgically happy. We should be proud of this group of players as much as we were of the teams of yore. They play hard almost every night and I think the young ones are taking over the team. I loved reading that Price’s tuque was one of the hats on the ice for P.K.

• DrewCareyPriceIsRight says:

…and as a side note – as much as I love Auld’s mask, that’s how much I loathe the new site layout. Hate to join the bitch fest about this site and I thought it was just a matter of getting used to something new but it really is much more profound than that.

• bel33 says:

It will take some getting used to…. I’m still amazed after 5 years… the team asked that the word “Habs” be removed… really was the site taking THAT much money out of their pockets??? Oh well.
        sidenote – testing how to get my avatar back up….. (sigh)

ATTENTION To Hockey Inside Out
    3 things please!

1–need an edit.
    2–need a spot to click for comments–instead of having to scroll to bottom.
    3–need to click onto others pic, to get to there profile and contact them through the site.

• Danno says:

- We also need the “new” feature which indicated which comments are new.
      – Need to have less white space between lines and more comments per page.
      – Need to allow for unlimited replies instead of only five.
      – Need to get rid of the “older comments” “newer comments” system and go back to where the page always updated to newer comments after refreshing. Older posts were obtained by clicking on page numbers at the bottom. It worked fine and was less confusing.
      – The last remaining leftovers of the word Habs have now disappeared from the site. That’s a shame. Not much anyone can do about that but the Gazette can certainly deal with the other user issues that have come up with the new site.

• HardHabits says:

Gazette needs to hire a computer technician who actually knows his/her stuff. I’ve seen better websites produced by high schoolers from their basements.

17. N.B.habs fan says:

Great win and really like how White is playing A player like him will be a great addition to the Canadiens team.

18. Shiloh says:

Enjoyed the columns this morning. I’ve always particularly liked Todd’s work, and not necessarily for the opinions.

I think it could be argued that artists are among the most important people in our society – and I place writers squarely in that camp. Todd has always been an excellent writer. In the Gazette sports department (Todd is now freelance) only Boone, in my estimation, can approach Todd’s construction and turn of phrase.

I’d be interested to hear from Boone as to how the constant blogging has affected his column writing. I know he’s done fewer, but has it been more difficult to put one together?

19. jbroderi says:

I have been critical of jack Todd in the past, but his latest 3 or 4 articles are quite good. he makes solid points, and most of all, he is saying stuff that I agree with. haha keep it up Jack, and keep it up Habs!!!

20. jbroderi says:

Good to have a win like that every now and again. By the way, Clutterbuck is what is wrong with the NHL. He is just a head hunter who thinks he’s tough. He is a f*cking idiot, to be honest.

21. volcano62 says:

Have I ever mentioned that the Canadiens are the greatest hockey team in the world??? What a win!!

22. HalifaxHabs says:

Wow… monday mornings are way less painful after an 8-1 win.

Imagine 2 hatty’s in 1 game

PK first Hatrick, and the first for a Habs d-man in 8 years… and of course, Ryan White gets a Gordie Howe hatrick… man I love that kid. I hope he’s ready to fight again on Thursday, because he’ll get asked to go for sure.

23. Jim Edson says:

Never in hell could I conceive that I would ever concur with anything written by Jack (the blowhard) Toad but today he almost got it right.

His only error was leaving Jeremy Jacobs off his list of zeros!

Cooke needs to be suspended indefinitely by the NHL with no possible review until after 10-15 regular season games of the 2011-2012 season. No participation in team activities whatsoever during that time.

Based on NHL Hockey Operations Dept. past statements on the importance, in their eyes of “prior offenses” Cooke should be dead meat in the eyes of the Mutt and Jeff of the NHL Operations department but only time will tell!

24. The Cat says:

Just like the rangers were well positioned against the habs so were the habs against the wild. Injured teams arent putting up much of a fight on b2bs against a rested opponent. These games arent worth reading into.

• PrimeTime says:

I don’t hear anyone planning a parade or seeing trophies being passed out but fans are quite pleased with the youth of this team and its future. You can read that!

25. patience is a virtue says:

On a different note, what’s to be done about our depth at centre over the next three seasons?

Can you really imagine DD and Eller playing 3rd and 4th line minutes until 2014 (i.e. when Gomez’s contract expires)? Something will have to give. But how do you trade who you got for Halak or your next French Canadian hero, both so full of potential? How do you demote a veteran leader like Gomez to the 4th line?

Besides the future of Markov, this has to be the biggest structural/long-term dilemma facing PG. That and how to structure the salary situation to keep Price, Subban, Max Pac, AK, Eller and DD in the line up for many years to come.

• PrimeTime says:

Nice dilemma to have and you missed to include a couple of players….Markov, Pleks. The new stars you mention will not get their big contracts for many years yet. Every team has expensive vets to lead and ours happen to have few rings….gotta like the mix!

• Captain aHab says:

I could absolutely see Gomez’ ice time going down and posted something about that a couple of days ago. Not sure the Habs will waive him but they have to be thinking about it at some point. Call it a business decision. Although this team doesn’t seem like the type that would do this, they would be hellastupid to let promising kids get away to protect an overpaid veteran’s ego.

And, for the record, I thought Gomez was one of our best playoff performers last year and has shown spurts lately. But that price tag is the killer.

• Al Dude says:

Gomez will be “invited” to finish his so-called career in Europe (Huet style)

26. JF says:

“A team that can’t score” – it’s been a while since that description applied. Starting with the Vancouver game, this team has been scoring plenty. The only games since then in which we did not score more than two goals were the 4-1 loss to St. Louis right after the Chara hit and the 4-2 loss to Washington last week. People have blamed our lack of scoring on Jacques Martin’s defensive system, claiming it stifles the offence, but I’ve never really bought that theory. We’re not a high-scoring team and there have been stretches when we couldn’t score, but I think it was not so much because we didn’t get chances, but because we kept missing them. The addition of Pacioretty, until his injury, and Desharnais has boosted our scoring.

27. patience is a virtue says:

Nice win. Nice work by the rookies and back up.

Sure, we have a tough week ahead, but you gotta hope that home ice against Buf and Wash, and a desire for vengence against Chara/Bos and the Caps will motivate the Habs to bring it. Not to mention the rookies desire to prove their worth, and the team’s desire to move up a playoff seed or three.

It’s totally conceivable that we end up as high as 3rd or as low as 8th. The Bruins and Pens are both struggling and have some pretty tough match ups of their own. The Bolts are also having trouble, but have a lighter load in the last few weeks. The Rags and Sabres are playing well enough to catch us if our Bulldogs come back down to earth…

I am wondering if Pleks, Halpern or Sopel will be back this week? Would be pretty sweet to roll these four lines leading into the playoffs:

Cam-Pleks-Halpern
    Gio-Gom-Moen
    AK-Eller-Pyatt/Dawes
    Poo-DD-White

Playoffs with Max Pac?!:

Gio-Gom-Max
    Cam-Pleks-Halpern
    AK-Eller-Moen
    Poo-DD-White

Two of the most important factors here are that White is playing the long missing tough guy roll/has established himself ahead of Pyatt and others on the depth chart, and that Moen has rediscovered his offensive mojo after an extended hiatus.

Parting thought – who sits if Darche returns? White? Halpern? Darche?

28. PrimeTime says:

Really like reading Arpon Basu’s articles….always bang on! Can’t say the same for Todd’s but today is an exception. We’ll see if Bettman and Campbell are listening to the majority of fans. In regards to Mario and the Pens organization, who do you side with…..Crosby or Cooke?? Buh-bye Matt!

Bruins wil burn again!