The market for goaltenders

The league-leading Detroit Red Wings have signed Chris Osgood to a three-year extension.

Osgood, 35, is 19-2-1 this season. He leads the NHL in GAA, 1.68, and save percentage, .932.

Osgood will make $1.7 million next season, $1.45 million in 2009-10 and $1.1 million for the 2010-11 season.

Osgood’s current  salary is $800,000. Dominic Hasek is making $2.05 million.

Cristobal Huet, a UFA after this season, is making $2.75 million.

1. cautiousoptimist says:

Since when do we rely on Leafs Nation’s most loyal sports team for insight into the league’s best rookies, or for advice on who to keep in the bigs? I’m not saying he should have been sent down, but I’m also not going to lend too much weight to what essentially amounts to an op-ed piece from a cheerleader media outlet with a history of putting out the silly opinions of biased washed up talking heads.

At least RDS is biased for the right team! (-;

2. Smart Dog says:

I dunno about Saturday, but here are tonight’s lottery winners!

8 – Komiserik
    11 – Koivu
    14 – Plekanic
    21 – Higgins
    46 – A Kostitsyn

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

Please zip it and stick to hockey.

The Original 24 Cups

4. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

OOOOOOOOOOH !!!!!!!! I’m so scared of big bad Dave….. LOL…

I’m not the only one who should be Flagged. Dave has a few pets in here…..

5. Bill H says:

That’s what I am hoping too JF. I agree that injury is a factor with Huet. So is workload. As has been noted here, he seems to let in soft goals, especially when he is played a lot.

6. JF says:

Good post. I’m sorry to have to agree with you about Huet’s plans and prospects, because I would love to see him here for the next couple of years. If he goes, that will leave Price and Halak, and I don’t think either is ready to carry the load as a starting goaltender.

Huet is certainly at a point in his career where he has a chance to land a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract, and it’s reasonable to suppose he’ll go for it. But other teams might hesitate about signing him because of a doubt about his durability. The most games he’s played in a season is 42. When he came to Montreal he was recovering from surgery and didn’t play until December; last year he was injured in February and didn’t play again until the last game (when with hindsight he obviously wasn’t ready); he’s already had an injury this year. A team might be more willing to sign him for a couple of million as part of a tandem, the way he is here, than risk 4 or 5 million on a starting goaltender who might miss a third of the season. In that case he just might find that he wants to stay here for a while longer. That’s what I’m hoping.

7. TommyB says:

What was really hilarious, was that one panelist on TSN who said Sundin was “arguably, the best player Toronto ever had”!

Now, I know it’s been a long long time….but as much as I hate the laffs, there have been several players in my memory who easily blow Sundin away.

8. RiverviewCanadien says:

I was making a point, why is it ok for Price to let in goals (on 3 shots) but not for Huet. you give it a break BUDDY! no one is contesting he is 20 and will be good.

You are the one to smarten, you have been flagged for the last comment

9. Smart Dog says:

Timo (from below):
    My fearless prediction: Slowinski and Breeze-by get back and we start losing. Four, five games from now, Carbo clues in, sits them, and we start winning again. Or Carbo doesn’t clue in and we battle for 8th place.

Re: Chipchura & being the only Hab rookie listed in the TSN Power Rankings… I have a theory:

I agree it’s not like they were “listening” to Marc DeFoy, but I think some kind of funky politics must have played into it. Chips was one of the best players on the ice have the time, he’s among the best on the team at puck control, stripping the puck, play-making and work effort – all things we need. I wonder if part of the reason he was shuffled is to keep Price company. Seriously, the guys are room-mates, Chips has a few years on Price, he’s a leader, he’ll help Price keep his head maybe. Big brother. Given the importance of Price long-term, the fact that we have a few extra bodies around, and how little sense Chips not being on the ice for us makes, that’s my belief.

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

10. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

Who me hateful. NO way. Not me.

Give the kid a break Buddy….. Smarten up will ya…..

A 20 year old will make some mistakes.

Huet is a vet and allstar and he still makes mistakes..

11. NEWFOUNDLAND DOG says:

Yeah Rollie has taugh Price to go down on every shot……

12. RiverviewCanadien says:

Why are you so hateful?

13. G-Man says:

Do you really think Osgood is as good as Brodeur, Giguere or Kiprussof?

Gilbert

14. G-Man says:

Without Rollie, Price would be a big goalie with no technique. Huet would be a lot worse, too. Woof!

Gilbert

15. A. Berke says:

It’s funny you should say that, because the same thought crossed my mind too. :-)

However, seriously, if I’m not mistaken, Wings had more Russian players when they won the cup in the 90′s. Also, I think Kostytsin brothers are Belarus nationals.

Besides who gives a flying fig about the nationalities of the players? As long as they make the Habs proud, they deserve to play and be part of the glory.

After all, all Canadians or their ancestors (including myself) came from somewhere at some point in the past with the exception of the First Nations.

Cheers.

Ali B.

16. A. Berke says:

Just a question: why are you folks talking about Penner, Lowe, Burke et al?

Ali B.

17. Xtrahabsfan says:

The Ducks should be the template for the Habs.

18. Chuck says:

Problem is, we don’t know if we can count on Huet yet. He could very well be our best shot, but he’s never played more than 45 games in a season and certainly doesn’t have what you would call a stellar playoff track record.

It would be nice to see him take the reigns and prove that he belongs among the league’s elite, but to put all of our eggs in one basket and blindly accept that without keeping your options open could be a recipe for disaster.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

19. Chuck says:

The Cup cares not of your nationality!

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

20. Chuck says:

Why? Are you looking to compare him to Huet?

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

21. T-roy West says:

Yeah, it is getting late. I think I’ll go and get some beauty sleep. Later!

22. sidhu says:

TSN is asking where Sundin should go at the trade deadline. I think the more relevant question is which gas station company the rest of the Leafs should be pumping gas for.

23. Chuck says:

FYI, the laffs were crushed by the Ducks 5-0 tonight. Caught most of the game, and The Quackers looked pretty darn solid. Either that, or the laffs are just that bad. It was probably a bit of both. :)

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

24. Chuck says:

A Kovalev, Ovechkin, Pleks, Kostitsyn, Markov power play unit. (drool…)

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

25. T-roy West says:

No sweat, I could only hope that we could land him! By the way, you should check out the conversation I was having with a couple of people below and tell me what you think. The teacher thinks Kevin Lowe didn’t call Darcy Regier to let him know about his intentions to offer a contract to Vanek before he actually did. I said he did!

26. T-roy West says:

Who was the reporter Timo. I haven’t heard a thing. I would love to have Ovechkin on this team!

27. Chuck says:

That would work out to 8.3 million per year. If you actually get Ovechkin to be productive for the span of that contract, 8.3 million could look like a bargain from the 5th year of the contract onwards. The question is whether or not Gainey would feel comfortable tying up that ammount of money overt that number of years.

Chances are that Gainey would be long retired by the time the contract runs out, so why wold he worry about playing with his eventual replacements’ spending money? :)

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

28. Chuck says:

I believe that what Yeats means is that Huet has a habit of being either “on” or “off” for an entire game. What you see in the first period is a pretty good indication of what you’ll get in the third. If he’s solid for the first 10 minutes, you can feel pretty confident that the other team is going to have to work a little harder to find the back of the net. The opposite also holds true.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

29. Chuck says:

This may also encourage Gainey to let Huet simply walk wat the end of the year and pocket almost 3-million a year in cap room. Sometimes you can get something for nothing; that’s the reality of dealing with a hard salary cap.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

30. Chuck says:

They next play Friday night at Copps.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

31. Will Longlade says:

Ok, here’s why I think he sucks:

1. He squanders almost every opportunity to clear the puck out of the D-zone during PK’s;
    2. Despite his size, he doesn’t bring the physical game;
    3. He frequently takes a lazy body position when checking;
    4. He hasn’t taught Chips how to win face-offs;
    5. He needs to make more of an offensive contribution, while elevating the defensive components of his game.

The solution? Maybe Stubbs should consider writing a story about Smoke’s apartment.