The market for goaltenders

The league-leading Detroit Red Wings have signed Chris Osgood to a three-year extension.

Osgood, 35, is 19-2-1 this season. He leads the NHL in GAA, 1.68, and save percentage, .932.

Osgood will make $1.7 million next season, $1.45 million in 2009-10 and $1.1 million for the 2010-11 season.

Osgood’s current¬† salary is $800,000. Dominic Hasek is making $2.05 million.¬†

Cristobal Huet, a UFA after this season, is making $2.75 million.

1. T-roy West says:

Mr. Berke: I posted the question to see if there was anyway of getting around this whole “going after someones RFA thing”, a loophole! I used Penner as an example. I was wondering if it was possible for the home team to keep their player for less money than what the other team was offering. If a player likes his home team and doesn’t want to sign, does he have a choice? If you were wondering why we are talking about this topic instead of the topic about goalies, it’s because I got bored, sorry!

You are right River. I’m sorry.

I will be a nice Dog from now on. BOW WOW….

3. Chuck says:

Yes, I did. Though not respectful and definitely over the line, it still wasn’t dissimilar from your constant name calling and veiled rude language. You baited him, and he bit back. You got what you were looking for, so let’s leave it at that and keep the chat to hockey.

“A Vezina banner must hang from the rafters!”

I believe those players were rated strictly from a ‘fantasy pool’ perspective which is quite different from the true value that a specific player would bring to a team. I hope they’re more accurate than the ‘team’ power rankings that they (and the Hockey News) post every week. Those rankings are up and down like a teeter-totter.

The Original 24 Cups

5. RiverviewCanadien says:

buddy…jump off, did you read what he said…

6. Chuck says:

Surely you must be able to see the irony in your post.

“A Vezina banner must hang from the rafters!”

7. RiverviewCanadien says:

I called you rude and an @$$wipe because of what you said (you deserved worse), do you forget what you wrote? Why don’t you tell everyone…also there could be young kids on this site reading this stuff….

Classy buddy, real classy

Talk about rude. Who’s calling who an @$$wipe?

Go play in your sand box with the other kids. Now go on….

Maybe mommy has some mac & cheese for your lunch. Wear your bib now. Don’t want to waste any cheese on your little bowtie…..

Maybe you will feel better after you have a widdle nappy…

9. RiverviewCanadien says:

I see your rude post has been edited…why don’t you leave it the way it was so people can see how much of a rude, obscene, inconsiderate @$$wipe you are

10. cautiousoptimist says:

I think you’re overreacting a little here. The addition of one forward and one defenseman – even if they’re abysmal, which they’re not – isn’t going to invalidate the great work by Sergei, Andrei, Koivu, Kovalev, Plekanec, Lats with his 12 goals, Markov, Komi, Hamrlik, et al….

11. RiverviewCanadien says:

so let me guess…you are one

12. cautiousoptimist says:

Since when do we rely on Leafs Nation’s most loyal sports team for insight into the league’s best rookies, or for advice on who to keep in the bigs? I’m not saying he should have been sent down, but I’m also not going to lend too much weight to what essentially amounts to an op-ed piece from a cheerleader media outlet with a history of putting out the silly opinions of biased washed up talking heads.

At least RDS is biased for the right team! (-;

13. Smart Dog says:

I dunno about Saturday, but here are tonight’s lottery winners!

8 – Komiserik
    11 – Koivu
    14 – Plekanic
    21 – Higgins
    46 – A Kostitsyn

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

Please zip it and stick to hockey.

The Original 24 Cups

OOOOOOOOOOH !!!!!!!! I’m so scared of big bad Dave….. LOL…

I’m not the only one who should be Flagged. Dave has a few pets in here…..

16. Bill H says:

That’s what I am hoping too JF. I agree that injury is a factor with Huet. So is workload. As has been noted here, he seems to let in soft goals, especially when he is played a lot.

17. JF says:

Good post. I’m sorry to have to agree with you about Huet’s plans and prospects, because I would love to see him here for the next couple of years. If he goes, that will leave Price and Halak, and I don’t think either is ready to carry the load as a starting goaltender.

Huet is certainly at a point in his career where he has a chance to land a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract, and it’s reasonable to suppose he’ll go for it. But other teams might hesitate about signing him because of a doubt about his durability. The most games he’s played in a season is 42. When he came to Montreal he was recovering from surgery and didn’t play until December; last year he was injured in February and didn’t play again until the last game (when with hindsight he obviously wasn’t ready); he’s already had an injury this year. A team might be more willing to sign him for a couple of million as part of a tandem, the way he is here, than risk 4 or 5 million on a starting goaltender who might miss a third of the season. In that case he just might find that he wants to stay here for a while longer. That’s what I’m hoping.

18. TommyB says:

What was really hilarious, was that one panelist on TSN who said Sundin was “arguably, the best player Toronto ever had”!

Now, I know it’s been a long long time….but as much as I hate the laffs, there have been several players in my memory who easily blow Sundin away.

19. RiverviewCanadien says:

I was making a point, why is it ok for Price to let in goals (on 3 shots) but not for Huet. you give it a break BUDDY! no one is contesting he is 20 and will be good.

You are the one to smarten, you have been flagged for the last comment

20. Smart Dog says:

Timo (from below):
    My fearless prediction: Slowinski and Breeze-by get back and we start losing. Four, five games from now, Carbo clues in, sits them, and we start winning again. Or Carbo doesn’t clue in and we battle for 8th place.

Re: Chipchura & being the only Hab rookie listed in the TSN Power Rankings… I have a theory:

I agree it’s not like they were “listening” to Marc DeFoy, but I think some kind of funky politics must have played into it. Chips was one of the best players on the ice have the time, he’s among the best on the team at puck control, stripping the puck, play-making and work effort – all things we need. I wonder if part of the reason he was shuffled is to keep Price company. Seriously, the guys are room-mates, Chips has a few years on Price, he’s a leader, he’ll help Price keep his head maybe. Big brother. Given the importance of Price long-term, the fact that we have a few extra bodies around, and how little sense Chips not being on the ice for us makes, that’s my belief.

Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

Who me hateful. NO way. Not me.

Give the kid a break Buddy….. Smarten up will ya…..

A 20 year old will make some mistakes.

Huet is a vet and allstar and he still makes mistakes..

Yeah Rollie has taugh Price to go down on every shot……

23. RiverviewCanadien says:

Why are you so hateful?

24. G-Man says:

Do you really think Osgood is as good as Brodeur, Giguere or Kiprussof?

25. G-Man says:

Without Rollie, Price would be a big goalie with no technique. Huet would be a lot worse, too. Woof!

26. A. Berke says:

It’s funny you should say that, because the same thought crossed my mind too. :-)

However, seriously, if I’m not mistaken, Wings had more Russian players when they won the cup in the 90’s. Also, I think Kostytsin brothers are Belarus nationals.

Besides who gives a flying fig about the nationalities of the players? As long as they make the Habs proud, they deserve to play and be part of the glory.

After all, all Canadians or their ancestors (including myself) came from somewhere at some point in the past with the exception of the First Nations.

Ali B.

27. A. Berke says:

Just a question: why are you folks talking about Penner, Lowe, Burke et al?

Ali B.

28. Xtrahabsfan says:

The Ducks should be the template for the Habs.

29. Chuck says:

Problem is, we don’t know if we can count on Huet yet. He could very well be our best shot, but he’s never played more than 45 games in a season and certainly doesn’t have what you would call a stellar playoff track record.

It would be nice to see him take the reigns and prove that he belongs among the league’s elite, but to put all of our eggs in one basket and blindly accept that without keeping your options open could be a recipe for disaster.

“Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

30. Chuck says:

The Cup cares not of your nationality!

“Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

31. Chuck says:

Why? Are you looking to compare him to Huet?

“Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”