The Islanders? Really??

Three blown leads, but a precious point.

A point slips away

Quotes from the room

Quick Hits and About last night …

Red Fisher on the no-quit Islanders

Dave Stubbs on the brawls in Boston

• Hickey on fighting

• Stubbs on backup goalie Joel Martin

Arpon Basu decodes Jacques Martin

Pierre Durocher on David Desharnais

1. OverseasFan says:

You’re right, Mike D. Those Old Montreal cobblestones are brutal when frozen.

Ice Storm — Tell your gf not to wear heels there! I did that once. Almost broke my ankles.

Listen to Mike D. Take her shopping / museums / Underground city. Then she’ll love Montreal and you can come back in the summer for all the Old Montreal / cafe-hopping stuff!

2. patience is a virtue says:

Disagree Ed.  This site has the most reactionary and negative posters of any anglo Habs site going, and the ire is often directed at the coaching and management.

3. Mark C says:

Fair point, I agree the SJS did fine with that trade.

4. Ice Storm says:

Hey there Mike…  and thanks..

Had heard of that delicious “combo” at Schwartz’s from a buddy who lived in Mtl. and will definitely go with that…

All I want for the rest of my Christmasses is a thorough Leaf drubbing…

looking forward to the atmosphere at The Bell Centre as it was lacking in Leaf land for sure.. (can you blame them though?)I am used to the games in Vancouver that are good and loud…

where is a good pre-game place to go??

Combination for success: 46-14-13

5. ManApart says:

When they are fired, with any luck will be very soon, I promise to not talk about it anymore. Unless they win a Cup. Then I probably won’t be as vocal.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

I’d have no problem with Carkner – even though he’s no Craig Ludwig.

That being said – why would Ottawa let him go? He makes the minimum, seems to be OK as a defender, and as you say will protect his mates.

Where are you going, Tommy?

8. krob1000 says:

sorry I try to forget the Centennial and must have mentally blocked it out because he was good that year…my bad…but I think you know what I meant…for a long time it looked like he was just too small, he had no offense to contribute, didn’t have the poise to use his skating ability to carry the pcuk out, rarely made a pass instead was jsut high and hard.  He got swatted around quite a bit too on the forecheck…much like Pleks he really learned the art of subtle positioning tricks and leverage and has compensated…but very few are able to make those adjustments…he has but it sure didn’t look good the first year and a half he was here.

9. krob1000 says:

Staal missed about 40 too though.  They have never really had their big 3 ccnetres..which is the strngth of their team. Malkin is done ofr the year, Crosby for another month or so,…but the Pens have battled on…pretty impressively IMO.

10. ManApart says:

Price played pretty bad against the Bruins, I didn’t see anyone saying it was all his fault. He wasn’t good, But the D was equally bad. Everyone knows it was a shared responsability.

11. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Funny how when Price plays bad it’s all his fault, nothing to do with his team or his conference, yet when Halak play’s bad it has nothing to do with Halak, it’s because of his team and his conference.  You Halakites are just full of excuses aren’t you Tony?

12. Hoegarden says:

We’ll never know…. Just focussing on the “big” comment. We have some big boys on the farm to fit the “big” word.

13. habs03 says:

ahahahahah, not sure if your serious, but I was joking, thats why i wriote JK

14. Mattyleg says:

That argument holds no water whatsoever (like a lot of your posts) because of the uneven schedule.

Detroit won the President’s Trophy from playing Columbus, Chicago, Nashville and St. Louis over and over again.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. observer says:

injury excuse for losers. pens have been without 2 REAL SUPERSTARS much of the year and still keep winning – green bay packers had so many on ir they could have fielded a comple offensive and defensive extra team than they were allowed.

16. ManApart says:

You’re lost in space, if you think that trade was a good one. It was horrible. Maybe Ribeiro had to be traded, but Gainey once again got robbed in the deal.

17. ed lopaz says:

NHL skill – as a 6th d-man – who plays about 15-17 minutes per night.

2nd line penalty kill – no power play.

Picard was acquired for the 2nd line power play

I’ll take the Cup.

Isn’t that what it’s all about?

Chicago has a Stanley Cup, and with the exception of Price, their building blocks are better than ours.

We could have taken the same approach back in 2003, but didn’t.  Fair enough.

We are now trying a different approach by signing high priced UFAs to go along with some good kids.  There’s about a three year window of opportunity.  After that, we will have to re-visit Displaced’s way of thinking.

19. PrimeTime says:

Check your calendar

20. _Habsoloutly_ says:

It’s a team game, look at where Halaks team is in the standing’s and look at where Price’s team is in the standing’s.

21. PrimeTime says:

Because Gomez hasn’t produced as expected doesn’t make Gainey an idiot. Fans who think they know more than any hockey guy is an idiot. We are a better team than 2 years ago “FACT”!!!

22. ed lopaz says:

Price is 2.43 and .918 stats

Halak is 2.58 and .909 stats.

I agree that Price has played great – but Halak’s season is far from terrible.

23. observer says:

islanders really???????????????? didnt they easily beat the habs 4-1 in their last meeting?

24. PrimeTime says:

PG had few reasons not to think we were a better team than last year (and we are). If our D stays healthy we dont need to score as many goals. When our D game is in the toilet, last 2 games, then we lose. If Tampa loses 2 of their best scoring forwards, where are they??? We are a D team first cuz we don’t have up front what is needed, yet.

25. _Habsoloutly_ says:

ummm Picard is 6-3/215 lbs.  Is that not big in your eyes?

26. Rudy says:

THIS IS EXACTLY RIGHT. Excellent post.

I want to watch a competitive team play, I love my hometown hockey team. No one still plays for the team from when I lived there, but I am excited about Price, Gorges, Markov, Plekanec, PK, Max, etc. I want the team to grow with these guys and yes, I know the team won’t win the cup now (or for a few years maybe), that’s ok as long as they contend and get in the playoffs. They are the link to my hometown and what is is known for, great hockey that doesn’t have to beat people up to win a la Lucic a la Pronger.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

27. habs03 says:

Right on, but I think P.G. is smart enough not to let  other GM take adv of things, we didn’t overpay to get Wiz when Gorges went out. To be honest I really don’t want to see any big moves for any draft picks. We haven’t had many picks in the early rounds lately.

28. krob1000 says:

I think he is movable without waivers and buyouts after next season….the fact his contract was front end loaded is very beenficial at that point to the non cap teams.  They will get Gomez at approx fair value in real dollars or close to and the cap hit is actually a benefit to them….I can see Dallas actually…especially if Riochards walks or is dealt but the two organizations have many connections and Dallas is in a strange state financially…and there are other teams   We won’t get a deal that is anywhere near what we gave up but the contract is movable at that point IMO without us eating more cap space and having it drag out.  Ia m more concerned abut next seasona s I had it pegged as one we would take a serious run…next year is where the Gomez deal hurts us the most IMO.  In fact it will likely mean one of Gorges or Markov walking.

29. arcosenate says:

Playing with Gomer put Gionta in a slump. As soon as his linemates play with other players they’re better.

It’s going to reach the point where he’s better off playing somewhere else because the crowd is going to get merciless.

30. twocents says:

Nice post, Rob. I think I agree with nearly everything you stated.

Of course, some of it I don’t remember because I started reading it an hour ago.;o)

31. J_P says:

In our last three games, Gomez, Eller, and AK are a combined minus-18 with one point between them.  That’s downright brutal.  Not going to win many hockey when two players, that are supposed to be top-6 forwards, are not only not scoring, but are giving up goals to the opposition.

JM definitely has some work to do.

32. krob1000 says:

Gaborik is on pace for about 70 poitns and 30 plus goals over a full season….he missed time again due to injury which always means some games are going to be needed to get back into the timing,etc.  He is fine….he is pure offense and Torts is a d first guy so they butt heads….who doesn’t butt heads with Torts? Gabby is doing fine…he can break out in a week and all of the sudden be ahead of ppg and back on pace for the 40 he should be good for.  He has 10pts in his last 9 and will get better if he stays healthy.  I think if you asked Sather if he would rather have had Gomez for the last two seasons or Gaborik/MCdonaugh he’ll take Gabby 100 times out of 100 IMO. Gaborik is not known as someone who is good on shootouts….where was Tavares last night on the shootout? does that mean they don’t want him or he sucks? gaborik is 5th lowest career on shootouts (2 of 19) Pleks is 6 th and Cammi 37th worst career. Penner sucks too

33. G-Man says:

Nilan and Ferguson did not make the Habs weaker. They had the opposite effect.

34. PrimeTime says:

Without whining and complaining, like most here, it’s pretty much a consensus that we have to get bigger….not necessarily tougher, but definately bigger which in a way makes us “tougher” in some minds. I would not doubt that PG and every other GM knows this about their team. Big is in! The problem today is you can’t automatically get bigger. But in time you can. This team is designed behind Price (Big goalies are in too) and defense. Right now our best are out. Our forwards do not fit the Big Size model, although Eller and Mac Pac are a good start, but we have other that play with big heart ie. Gionta, Pleks, Desharnai. The key is to get big but with skill which is going to take some time like any to evolve.

No we are there yet so we have to work with what we got like every team. I’m confident that PG is aware what needs to be done and will work to get there. It sucks we are not leading the conference today but we do have some pieces that are positive and those pieces are learning every game.

35. arcosenate says:

I wonder if we will even be able to make any trades heading down to the deadline. As boone said, the price just keeps going up for any player we might need because everyone needs the same thing and there are truly only a very few teams out of the race.

That being said, our defensive woes which have appeared recently might have to be solved from within.

So here’s my question, what is wrong with Mathieu Carle? Why do they never call him up?

Any Bulldog ticket holders here?

36. habs365 says:

we have what we have..mostly the same three players doing the scoring and we don’t have a tough team..any team that wants to rough it up with the Habs they have a pretty good chance of winning..believe it or not..that’s partically the reason some players are not playing the way they should..when they start getting roughed up they give in and that’s pretty much it..don’t have any tough guy’s to protect them..too many cheap respect for any don’t have to go any further than Crosby..when you do stuff like that to the best player in the NHL..that pretty much shows what respect is about..that’s why you have to have some tough guys on you’re team and they would think twice..there’s nothing wrong with being tough if you can’t take it too bad..but when it’s dirty than it takes it to a whole different level..a bigger team against the Habs on most nights..they are toast..they have problems scoring as a team..they’re not tough enough for the big teams and that pretty much sums it if you’re expecting big things in the playoffs forget’s not gonna happen..only if the tough teams are elimanated…….

37. krob1000 says:

DD played a great game…offensively, and he backchecks like crazy…but he needs to take some tips fromGonta on the importance of postioning as larger guys can’t be pushed aside by him on the backcheck…he needs to take that extra step and get tight with them and be in front of them….my fear…maybe he doesn’t have that extra step of speed.  Offensively he is demostrating an incredible poise and I see no reason he can;t improve it as he seems to be getting more confortable and understanding what he can and can;t do in the offensive zone.  I can;t help but wonder though if he too should explore being a winger like Gio as the defensive responsibilities of a center include the middle area in front of our net and picking up guys trailing and/or driving through the slot…he seems to have difficulty doing this….if Chris Pronger were backing him up…maybe not a worry but when it’s DD backchecking and Weber waiting…we have some issues.

I don;t think we got outplayed…I think we had another classic Habs game…no finish…we managed 3 goals but realistically should have had about 6.  Defensively….we need a steady nfluence back there…..Hammer is capable if he stays at home but our offense is sos tarved that he is wandering like he did in his 20’s in behind the other net…well that doesn;t work at Hammers age because he can;t get back….he does it several times a game lately.  PK…what the hell is this kid going to do to shake his nasty rep…..he gets beaten without drawing a penalty and never gets the benefit of the dioubt defensively…..that dive last night where he clearly got the puck and the hit he took from behind were just plain ridicukous…sure things get missed but I am noticing it happens far more often with PK and he gets called for virtually anything.

While Gomez looked horrific the first half of the game….him and Ak seemed to wake up later….I think it is very interesting that they seem to have taken a liking to each is nice to see Andrei talking on the bench…maybe that shit show the other night and the fact they are being singled out together is the best thing that could happen….they seem to be communicating and by late last game actually appeared to be developing some chemistry….early on though…UUUUGLY.  Poor Eller…I never see them talking to him and I am convinced that he needs to be a center….or play in Hamilton for a while on the wing… is enough witht he pressure he already has to have him playing out of position…his smarts are wasted and his defensive prowress is also. The only benefit is he is learning to work the corners but I already thought that was one of his strong points.  Personally I would play DD on a wing and oput a big body in the middle….DD is shifty enough that he wouldn;t get tattooed like many believe IMO on the wing.

I think the HAbs must make at least two tweaks…a stay at home guy……and either an offensive guy like a HEjduk or Tanguay, or a tougher guy like a NEil to crash the net.  Getting Cammi back will be huge and boy would we be something right now healthy…but that is life in the NHL…the Devlis are playiong their best hockey with no Parise, the Sabres are gonna be in it til the end with no Roy, the B’s have been hurt all year and Savard has never really been there, Detroit has had a rough year with injuries, Pittsburgh has it the worst of all, etc.  They happen…they test yoru depth.

I don’t like goons but Philly and Boston are the teams that have beat us out 3 years running….they are not just bullies…but bullies with skill and depth…in order to beat them we have to get calls, play great special teams and get greaqt goaltending…and have more finish on the chances we do get.  They have Chara and PRonger who IMO are the two best d men defensively in this generation…they literally take away half of the ice…but both get be coaxed into losing their tempers and are somewhat susceptible to speed…but it akes a lot of speed and constant buzzing.  We right now don;t have enough depth to wear them down and with only a top six it means that they can shut us down…we need another line that scores with regularity to get ice time against the other d pairings on other teams and score and pressure other teams at 5 on 5 and create matchup issues.

38. forskis says:

I agree…the fire seems to be sputtering…but I think he is trying really hard to get out of it…he and AK46 are going to be linemates for a while and they are talking on the bench and trying to figure stuff out…to be honest, I have never seen AK46 talk so much on the bench as he does with Gomez.  I like that as AK46 has always been quiet…but we want to ship him out (with good reason) when he finally starts to immerse himself in the team and communicate….the breakthrough is almost there for some chemistry between AK46 and Gomez, I think (I hope).

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

39. ed lopaz says:

I agree with your post.

What I can’t understand is why we didn’t get bigger last summer?

For example – We brought in Picard? Why not a big, stay at home, tougher type d-man?

Should we not have made some changes towards getting bigger already?

40. joshua94k says:

Red Fisher praises the no-quit attidude of the Islanders. If that team works so hard, why are they the 3rd worst team in the NHL standings. Sure they have had the most injuries this season, but so did the Canadiens last season with Gionta, Markov, Cammalleri, Gill etc injured for many games. In fact, Jacques Martin said he never faced a season in his long career. like last year with so many injuries. Despite the injuries the
    Canadiens made the play-offs and went to the conference finals. Last season Red Fisher never praised the no-quit attitude of the Canadiens.

This season the Canadiens are 6th place in the Conference, 2nd in the division. They lost their top two defencemen for the season. They lost their best scorer, Mike Cammalleri, yet the battled on. They are one of the most penalized teams in the league, yet they battle on. After 56 games, Red Fisher still has not a positive thing to say about the team. Every article has a positive stance on the opposing team be it the Devils, Islanders etc. Kovalchuk has played miserably this year. After one good game against the Canadiens, Fisher praises Kovalchuk.

He didn’t pick the Canadienss to make the play-offs this season and actually felt the Sabres, Devils and Leafs would be better this year. Even with a healthy Gorges, Cammalleri and Markov coming back.

I wonder what team he is covering. There has been no praise for the excellence of Carey Price. How many goalies can respond to the pressure of playing in Montreal, especially after the strong play demonstrated by Halak last year. What about Subban, a rookie who has played well despite having to go through so much man-made scrutiny. No rookie in the history of the Canadiens has had to go through so much unnecessary negative press.

The Canadiens will prove Red Fisher wrong when they make the play-offs. Then he will have to write about the no-quit Habs. Or will he write about a team that has little chance of advancing?