The Human Billboard … and more

Former Canadiens centreman Glen Metropolit in his wild jersey and “flame bucket”, with Switzerland’s EV Zug last week.
© Thomas Oswald, hockeypics.ch

Do you think they could squeeze another corporate logo on Glen Metropolit’s EV Zug uniform?

Memo to Metro: Don’t try wearing that on the Plateau.

Given his fight record, if they ever go this route in the NHL, the primo spot will be the bottom of Tom Kostopoulos’s skates.

Coming later today: Habs Inside/Out’s first Puckcast of the new season, beginning with Patrick V. Hickey’s speech from the throne.

• P.K. Subban’s trainer, Clance Laylor, drops Stubbs a note this morning to tell him that P.K. was mistaken when he told the media this week he put on seven pounds of muscle over the summer. Seems it was 15 pounds (maybe P.K. meant kg?); Subban left the gym at just 9 per cent body fat, which the HIO crew carries in its pudgy little finger. Note to Bulldogs: See ya…

• Hickey on Jarred Tinordi’s need to bulk up and the Kovalchuk deal

Metro yodels to Dave Stubbs

• This was great: Hal Gill visited Mitch Melnick’s show yesterday

Five goaltenders with something to prove. Guess who’s number one?

• J.T. on the newbies

• The Louis Leblanc hype

• Yvon Pedneault on the politics of the Quebec City arena. And Guy Lafleur, who’s on some kind of Who Farewell Tour, weighs in

• Damien Cox takes a dim view of rookie camps

• Analysis of the Kovalchuk mess

1. nunacanadien says:

Good points and I am the first one to admit a mistake, I got so used to thinking of both Moen and Mara, but it was the great things I heard since they have been traded that makes me wonder, why when Montreal gets real hockey people they let them go?

2. habs001 says:

i have this strange feeling that both spacek and hammer might suprise with their performance unless we get too many injuries on d and they are overplayed

3. WarHero says:

Only by 1 :) He is more the capable depending on injuries. Spacek is my big question mark. I just hope he can find his form.

————————————————————————

4. habs001 says:

if the d produces the points you are predicting we are in great shape…this would be markovs most points in his career

5. habs001 says:

based on the 101 games the team played last year we are not a top 3 team in the east but we can move into top  3 status by winning our division and i think that is possible(few things have to fall in place)

6. WarHero says:

From time to time I write blogs on http://www.Hockeybuzz.com and have just finished the final article in my 2010/2011 Player Points Predictions series. Please feel free to take a read and comment. Your feedback is always welcome!

Montreal Canadiens – Player Points Predictions – Defensemen

Centers:

Wingers:

————————————————————————

7. Morenz7 says:

Not worry? Fer the love of gawd, man, we’re Habs fans. We invented worry.

8. habs001 says:

if players like pouliot and ak46 had the desire and effort that gion has they would be stars…hopefully maxpac can learn from gion…gion while not big many times out battles larger players in the corner…thank god the dummy burke did not select him for team usa..if gion had kovalev talent he would be a super star

9. Mr_MacDougall says:

1st Line:  Crosby Backstrom Getzlaf

2nd Line: Stamnkos Sedin Sedin

3rd Line: Thornton Ryan Parise

4rth Line: Toews Zetterberg Marleau

1st D:  Pronger Keith

2nd D: Weber Markov

3rd D: Doughty Boumeester

G Miller Fleury

Solid Squad!!!!!!

10. rocketsglare says:

Regarding Carey Price and the ongoing debate about him, I believe that only he can mute or even end this debate

about him by playing consistently up to his abilities. Price has not played consistently well and would be the first

to agree with this assessment. But this does not give some in the media and beyond a “license’ or continued need

to trash him or bring up constantly the “memory” of Halak.

Price can only settle this tiresome debate by playing hard and up to his abilities and demonstrate to the team and

we the fans that he is indeed that gifted netminder management and most of us believe he is capable of becoming.

This season will tell volumes about Price and if he is ready to meet and exceed expectations. I think he can.

What do you guys think?

11. WarHero says:

Markov doesn’t count?

————————————————————————

12. WarHero says:

Indeed Mr. Boone. I hope he does, always thought he might look good in the red,white & Blue someday.

————————————————————————

13. WarHero says:

Agreed, I like the deal :)

————————————————————————

14. LA Loyalist says:

My only comment is that there are virtually no Habs on your list, except Price. Discuss among your selves

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

15. mike g says:

Bargain.

When Komisarek is making 4.5 mill, Staal at 3.9 is a bargain.

He’s an excellent shutdown d-man, who’s imposing. If he fully devellops, which he’s almost there, he will one day have the defensive skills and pedigree of Chris Pronger. Size, strength, everything.

He’s not a PP specialist, and has limited to decent offensive abilities, but he’s one heck of a defender.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

16. habfan53 says:

You would have to assume that the Leafs would have drafted those players . And if they did not ruin them

S*&T souds like our drafting and tarining lately

17. otter649 says:

The only Ranger not finding the signing funny is Wade Redden since The Rangers are over the cap and money has to be dropped somewhere & Redden is a cap hit of six million…

18. SLONCOLD says:

4m a year a bargain?  i dunno about that. and a 5 year deal…

19. Morenz7 says:

Hmm. That’s where the “elevate his game” part comes in. I agree that he has to be demonstrably more useful than someone else—this is pro hockey, after all. It could come down to the opponent. Spacek can wilt against heavy forechecking teams and he’s starting to show his age. Also, there will be injuries. OB has to take advantage of the first window that opens (the absence of Markov?).

Also bear in mind the possibility that Hammer and Gill are likely gone after this season. I see no one other than OB in the system who can replace Hamrlik’s physicality, and an improved O’Byrne would save Montreal cap space by sparing them at least one free agent signing. Another reason I want to see him come into his own.

But I take your central point. An up and coming player has to make it hard for the coaches to sit him. OB hasn’t managed that yet.

20. mike g says:

Bargain, great deal for the Rags….

Something tells me Sather had nothing to do with the negotiations. Usually we laugh at any contract linked to the Rangers, but this one is oddly not funny.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

21. CP31 says:

PS – I’m in no way Cammy’s hockey agent, his mother, girlfriend. Just a fan, LOL!

“SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU”

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Well it has to go to them, don’t forget PG conspired with these guys to get MAB off the team so he couldn’t claim the C.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

After reading the “C” discussion below I hope the captaincy goes to Markov or Plex. Gomez, Cammy and Gionta are all great candidates but the other two have been on the team longer.

24. CDH says:

1. For the right coin of course bring him back.

2. I’m leaning more towards Markov and not Gorges now

3. 3

4. Cammy

5. Mr. Gill of course, with that wing span he could take out five guys with one punch!

25. CP31 says:

Consideration should definitely be given to Markov who has been a loyal Hab, but my opinion is that Cammy should carry the “C”, with GIO coming in a close 2nd for the “C”.

I’ve mentioned my rationale for Cammy before in another post;

– Cammy’s here for at least the next 5 years (the new captain should be given to someone who will be here for the long term)

– No he’s not a French Canadian but he is a “canadian” hockey player (not that this should determine captaincy, but it’s an added bonus for a canadian club)

– Living in Montreal for only a year, he’s already embraced and understand’s the “Montreal hockey” culture and a fan base that is predominantly French Canadian (at least in Quebec, that’s for sure). This is evidenced by his ongoing studies to learn the language .

– Very media savvy and gives great interviews, all the while saying the “right” things to defend his teammates/locker room issues.

– As evidenced by his on ice performance this past year including the playoffs, he’s more than capable of putting “his” team on his back when the team need’s a boost.

– He’s a very hockey smart player, which is needed to discuss various situations with the coaching staff and more importantly the referre’s.

– Lastly, but most importantly no one can deny his desire to win which is evident by his on and off ice actions. Ex/working hard to rehabilitate his knee injury to get back in the lineup, his dedication to a year round fitness workout regime, etc

Again I’ve grown to love GIO and I actually bought a GIO jersey this past year, but for the reasons I’ve listed above, Cammy would be my choice!

“SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU”

26. habrez says:

Just read JTs blog. Usually I snub blogs but I really enjoyed habsloyalist mini facts. I loved the Auld story of his loyalty to his former team and especially with his putting up with a very good yet often drunken goalie. I also never knew that Eller was such a charitable young man. No wonder Gauthier wanted him so badly.

I also found out Eller would have been a leaf. I wonder if anyone has compiled a list of all the picks that John  Ferguson Jr and Brian Burke have traded away. Might be an all star team in a few years.

27. bwoar says:

To be sure HH you mean Koivu vs. Ribeiro, correct?

I would’ve thought by now that we’d come far enough, if so.  The fact that there’s no one guy obviously head-and-shoulders above the rest has made it hard to pass the torch, even during the Koivu era.  Man, I miss Saku.

And maybe, just maybe I’ll allow, that it’s a tradition that might need to die in the modern NHL.  Despite my arguments for the team vote, I could be being romantic about it too.  It’s possible that it’s an unrealistic thing to vote on in the age of the super-rich player.

Wonder how many captains will make less than $2 million this year?

28. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s a bit miserly with his own draft choices, but if you’re a free agent, payday. Last year he took forever to give Brandon Dubinsky a 2 year contract with a 1.85 cap hit and that guy is a pretty solid player for them.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

29. CDH says:

Markov-Webber

Doughty-Boumeester

GOALIES:

Miller

Ward

31. bwoar says:

Yeah, I did know it…. I just kinda think the majority of teams do it incorrectly.  I have never been part of any group, work or otherwise, that didn’t have someone who just kinda ’emerged’ as the leader (or totally imploded), and when that person wasn’t the choice of management, ouch, things got hot.  Ever had a manager who managed to be more in the way?  That kind of thing.  I dunno, maybe it’s not so grave on a hockey team.

All that said it’s a situation where it’s hard for PGJM to screw up, these guys seem to like each other, despite the obvious (and most welcome) competitiveness among them.

32. Mikey_39 says:

I like your style.  I chose the other sedin over kovyII because of brother factor and Kovalchuk hasn’t proven he’s a winner.

33. Mike Boone says:

Could be a bargain if he develops. An uncharacteristically sane contract for Sather.

34. SeriousFan09 says:

8G, 19A in his 3rd NHL season, good progress and he’s coming cheaper than some Defensive Ds with maybe half of his offensive upside. I would take M. Staal at that number easily.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Look how well that played out last time the team voted on the captain. The Habs don’t have that tradition of handing the torch from player to player anymore. Now the torch is being handed from management to the players. The team will get back to voting captains when they put some years between them and the great putsch.

36. Mikey_39 says:

First: Getzlaf, Ovechkin, Crosby (i didn’t want to take Crosby because he’s a brat, but when the chips are down he shows up)

Second: Stamkos+Sedin twins

Third: Stall, Ryan, Parise (I freaking hate richards with a passion)

Fourth: this one was easy…Kane, Toews, Zetterberg

D1: Keith….just Keith, I refuse to take either of the other two.  Can I take Subban or Gorges?

D2:another no brainer…Webber and Marky

Doughty-Boumeester

Goalies:

Miller

Halak

41. SmartDog says:

FIRST LINE:

Crosby-Ovechkin-Getzlaf   (try and stop THAT!)

SECOND LINE:

Stamkos-Kovalchuk- H Sedin

THIRD LINE:

Parise-M Richards-E Staal

FOURTH LINE:

Heatley- Toews-Zetterberg  (THIS Is a 4th line???)

DEFENSE: (pick 2 from each list)

Green-Keith

Markov-Chara

Doughty-Boumeester

Goalies: (pick 1 from each category)

Miller

Halak

——–
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

42. Rugger says:

Other than the top line, we are pretty close

43. Bill J says:

FIRST LINE: Crosby-Malkin-Ovechkin

SECOND LINE: Gaborik-Stamkos-Kovalchuk

THIRD LINE: M Richards-Ryan-E Staal

FOURTH LINE: Kane-Toews-Marleau

DEFENSE: (pick 2 from each list)

Green-Keith

Weber-Markov

Doughty-Boumeester

Goalies: (pick 1 from each category)

Brodeur-Price

— Cammalleri for Team Captain!

44. habinypsi says:

They should bring Metro into the organization when he is done playing, I think he would be a great in Mgt or coaching .

45. Rugger says:

Crosby, Ovie, Getzalf

Stamkos, Sedin, Sedin

Parise-Richards-Staal

Kane-Toews-Zet

Pronger-Keith

Markov-Chara

Doughty-Bow

Miller-Price

46. scrowe21 says:

hahaha

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

47. mike g says:

And who said you could move players from their groups?….

I’m sorry Mr. Lamoriello, but you’ve been caught trying to circumsize the salary cap. You’ll be fined 3 dollars, and your 1st and 3rd posts following this message will be deleted by the mods…

Good luck with your team next year.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Malkin

Stamkos – H Sedin – D Sedin

Parise – E Staal – M Richards

Kane – Toews – Zetterberg

Pronger-Keith

Markov-Weber

Doughty-Bouwmeester

Miller

Price

Choices were made on complimenting styles and expected chemsitry.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

49. habinypsi says:

To pay the bills?

50. scrowe21 says:

Ovie – Malkin – Zetterburg ( Moved him from 4th )

Stamkos – Sedin Brothers

Parise – Richards – Ryan

Kane – Toews – Getzlaf

D

Pronger – Keith

Markov – Chara

Gonchar – Doughty

G

Miller

Halak

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

51. mike g says:

Alright, ya bunch of fake GM’s…

Here’s a little thing I like to call, ” Be A GM For 5 Minutes, Because You’re Really Bored Right Now And There’s Nothing Else To Do”….

If you’re building a team, choose 3 players in each category to fill your roster, regardless of their positions.

FIRST LINE:

Crosby-Malkin-Ovechkin-Getzlaf-Backstrom

SECOND LINE:

Gaborik-Stamkos-Kovalchuk- H Sedin- D Sedin

THIRD LINE:

Thornton-Parise-M Richards-Ryan-E Staal

FOURTH LINE:

Heatley- Kane-Toews-Marleau- Zetterberg

DEFENSE: (pick 2 from each list)

Green-Pronger-Keith

Webber-Markov-Chara

Gonchar-Doughty-Boumeester

Goalies: (pick 1 from each category)

Kipper-Miller-Brodeur-Lundqvist-Bryzgalov-Luongo

Ward-Hiller-Price-Rinne-Raask-Halak-Niemi-Fleury

Ready, set, go……

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

52. habfan53 says:

Congrats to Metro for landing where he did. I’m going to miss his hard work, dedication, Power Play goals and his leadership. Towards the end of last season when his ice time was slashed NOT A WORD from him he put the team first. Now it looks like the family time that he missed he will get back in spades

I have no problem with the young guns they are trying to bring along  so lets just say Darche or Metro?? METRO hands down  for a couple of thousand more.

As for the captaincy first choice Cammi someone said he is to vocal with the media no problem with that. Also from the start last year he seemed to embrace the TRADITION of Montreal and it’s fans. Second choice would be Markov then Gill.

53. punkster says:

1. No, not for the 4 to 5  minutes a game. But I’ll miss him.

2. Gionta. Same as last Xmas.

3. 2 others

4. Markov

5. Gill (I wouldn’t want PK to hurt his hands and Boone would likely escalate it by pulling a shiv)

FREE TIMO!

54. SeriousFan09 says:

There’s Montreal, than there’s the rest of Canada. Somehow, I doubt Markov is keen to be an Oiler.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

55. SLONCOLD says:

well i mean he might love living in canada but i’m sure he’ll play for any team that will pay him.

56. davelecave says:

This is the sickest video ever.

57. Bill J says:

vestiaire.ca “rumours” that Cammy is the players consensus choice.

Take that for what it’s worth.

— Cammalleri for Team Captain!

58. mike g says:

Well said….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

59. habaddict_andy says:

I haven’t forgotten where he came from.  How he avoided trouble as a teenager by playing hockey when his family lived in a hard part of town in Toronto.  That story that was published by the Gazette was insperational.  Wish him the best.

I looked for the article but found this instead.

60. Bill J says:

PG did not “lose” Halak – he got assets in return for him.

Now as far as Markov is concerned, I agree… Lord help PG if he doesnt 1) Sign Markov or 2) trade him for something of value.

— Cammalleri for Team Captain!

61. mike g says:

My point was…

We had a very small captain fo 11 years and always complained. We saw him get shoved around and hacked for years.

I just don’t wanna see that happen again.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

62. rocketsglare says:

Good for Metro. He deserves nothing but the best. His dedication and commitment while playing for the Habs

made him a fan favorite. Time simply caught up to Metro and being the class guy that he is understood that.

It tells you volumes about Metro’s character when he still remembers and speaks well of us Habs fans and I

can say the same is true for Metro. Class all the way.

63. HabFanSince72 says:

Whoever is injured.

64. habaddict_andy says:

Camalleri in photo shoot.  His sox get’s more attention.

65. Bill J says:

FYI – the majority of teams in the NHL – Management chooses who the Captain is.

I agree, it should be the players.  But that is not typically how it is done.

PS – yes with the Habs for the last 100 years (or almost) it has almost always been the players who decided.

— Cammalleri for Team Captain!

66. bwoar says:

“Lower the Boone” that’s gotta become a standard here.

67. bwoar says:

1. No.  I’ll always cheer for him and he’s got every bit of my respect but I favour the youth option and he’d be a victim if I were GM.  Sorry Metro, but we love ya anyhow.  Come back as a coach?

2. Cammalleri and no.

3. Two guys, Markov and Gionta

4. Markov

5. Boone, no question.  Ya gonna hit a man with glasses?

68. SeriousFan09 says:

Embarassing for who? People who try and target Brian Gionta for a fight they’re just going to embarass themselves by trying it out, ‘hey look at me, I’m trying to fight a guy who’s 5’7″, I’m the toughest guy in the world!”, there may not be much honour in the NHL but doing that? Flat out embarassing for the player and his team.

Gionta plays a game that has him slipping around the opposition or avoiding hits, he has a solid build and a low center of gravity. He will take hits but that’s something he has dealt with since he entered the league and it’s not going to shock the team if their captain gets knocked over a bit. Phaneuf tries to fight Gionta, he makes a mockery of himself and his team, if he tries to hit him, Gionta will occasionally take the hit but that’s part of the game, it isn’t like Phaneuf will take him with kid gloves in games if Gionta is just wearing an A.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

69. mike g says:

I have no idea who they’d choose…

All I’m saying is if I had a vote, it would be him for the reasons above. If he accepted the task, of course…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

70. scrowe21 says:

So out of Subban-Markov, Hammer-Spacek, Gill-Gorges….who sits so O’Byrne can play?

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

71. WarHero says:

Great Post JD! Exceuse me while I grab a tissue or two. Gotta Love Metro!!

————————————————————————

72. HABZ24 says:

subban will be a stud but lets hope he can handle the pressure in the bigs of a full season. hes enjoyed the highs lets see how he handles the lows.