The Human Billboard … and more

Former Canadiens centreman Glen Metropolit in his wild jersey and “flame bucket”, with Switzerland’s EV Zug last week.
© Thomas Oswald, hockeypics.ch

Do you think they could squeeze another corporate logo on Glen Metropolit’s EV Zug uniform?

Memo to Metro: Don’t try wearing that on the Plateau.

Given his fight record, if they ever go this route in the NHL, the primo spot will be the bottom of Tom Kostopoulos’s skates.

Coming later today: Habs Inside/Out’s first Puckcast of the new season, beginning with Patrick V. Hickey’s speech from the throne.

• P.K. Subban’s trainer, Clance Laylor, drops Stubbs a note this morning to tell him that P.K. was mistaken when he told the media this week he put on seven pounds of muscle over the summer. Seems it was 15 pounds (maybe P.K. meant kg?); Subban left the gym at just 9 per cent body fat, which the HIO crew carries in its pudgy little finger. Note to Bulldogs: See ya…

• Hickey on Jarred Tinordi’s need to bulk up and the Kovalchuk deal

Metro yodels to Dave Stubbs

• This was great: Hal Gill visited Mitch Melnick’s show yesterday

Five goaltenders with something to prove. Guess who’s number one?

• J.T. on the newbies

• The Louis Leblanc hype

• Yvon Pedneault on the politics of the Quebec City arena. And Guy Lafleur, who’s on some kind of Who Farewell Tour, weighs in

• Damien Cox takes a dim view of rookie camps

• Analysis of the Kovalchuk mess

1. Morenz7 says:

Hmm. That’s where the “elevate his game” part comes in. I agree that he has to be demonstrably more useful than someone else—this is pro hockey, after all. It could come down to the opponent. Spacek can wilt against heavy forechecking teams and he’s starting to show his age. Also, there will be injuries. OB has to take advantage of the first window that opens (the absence of Markov?).

Also bear in mind the possibility that Hammer and Gill are likely gone after this season. I see no one other than OB in the system who can replace Hamrlik’s physicality, and an improved O’Byrne would save Montreal cap space by sparing them at least one free agent signing. Another reason I want to see him come into his own.

But I take your central point. An up and coming player has to make it hard for the coaches to sit him. OB hasn’t managed that yet.

2. mike g says:

Bargain, great deal for the Rags….

Something tells me Sather had nothing to do with the negotiations. Usually we laugh at any contract linked to the Rangers, but this one is oddly not funny.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

3. CP31 says:

PS – I’m in no way Cammy’s hockey agent, his mother, girlfriend. Just a fan, LOL!

“SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU”

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Well it has to go to them, don’t forget PG conspired with these guys to get MAB off the team so he couldn’t claim the C.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

After reading the “C” discussion below I hope the captaincy goes to Markov or Plex. Gomez, Cammy and Gionta are all great candidates but the other two have been on the team longer.

6. CDH says:

1. For the right coin of course bring him back.

2. I’m leaning more towards Markov and not Gorges now

3. 3

4. Cammy

5. Mr. Gill of course, with that wing span he could take out five guys with one punch!

7. CP31 says:

Consideration should definitely be given to Markov who has been a loyal Hab, but my opinion is that Cammy should carry the “C”, with GIO coming in a close 2nd for the “C”.

I’ve mentioned my rationale for Cammy before in another post;

- Cammy’s here for at least the next 5 years (the new captain should be given to someone who will be here for the long term)

- No he’s not a French Canadian but he is a “canadian” hockey player (not that this should determine captaincy, but it’s an added bonus for a canadian club)

- Living in Montreal for only a year, he’s already embraced and understand’s the “Montreal hockey” culture and a fan base that is predominantly French Canadian (at least in Quebec, that’s for sure). This is evidenced by his ongoing studies to learn the language .

- Very media savvy and gives great interviews, all the while saying the “right” things to defend his teammates/locker room issues.

- As evidenced by his on ice performance this past year including the playoffs, he’s more than capable of putting “his” team on his back when the team need’s a boost.

- He’s a very hockey smart player, which is needed to discuss various situations with the coaching staff and more importantly the referre’s.

- Lastly, but most importantly no one can deny his desire to win which is evident by his on and off ice actions. Ex/working hard to rehabilitate his knee injury to get back in the lineup, his dedication to a year round fitness workout regime, etc

Again I’ve grown to love GIO and I actually bought a GIO jersey this past year, but for the reasons I’ve listed above, Cammy would be my choice!

“SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU”

8. habrez says:

Just read JTs blog. Usually I snub blogs but I really enjoyed habsloyalist mini facts. I loved the Auld story of his loyalty to his former team and especially with his putting up with a very good yet often drunken goalie. I also never knew that Eller was such a charitable young man. No wonder Gauthier wanted him so badly.

I also found out Eller would have been a leaf. I wonder if anyone has compiled a list of all the picks that John  Ferguson Jr and Brian Burke have traded away. Might be an all star team in a few years.

9. bwoar says:

To be sure HH you mean Koivu vs. Ribeiro, correct?

I would’ve thought by now that we’d come far enough, if so.  The fact that there’s no one guy obviously head-and-shoulders above the rest has made it hard to pass the torch, even during the Koivu era.  Man, I miss Saku.

And maybe, just maybe I’ll allow, that it’s a tradition that might need to die in the modern NHL.  Despite my arguments for the team vote, I could be being romantic about it too.  It’s possible that it’s an unrealistic thing to vote on in the age of the super-rich player.

Wonder how many captains will make less than $2 million this year?

10. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s a bit miserly with his own draft choices, but if you’re a free agent, payday. Last year he took forever to give Brandon Dubinsky a 2 year contract with a 1.85 cap hit and that guy is a pretty solid player for them.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. CDH says:

Markov-Webber

Doughty-Boumeester

GOALIES:

Miller

Ward

13. bwoar says:

Yeah, I did know it…. I just kinda think the majority of teams do it incorrectly.  I have never been part of any group, work or otherwise, that didn’t have someone who just kinda ‘emerged’ as the leader (or totally imploded), and when that person wasn’t the choice of management, ouch, things got hot.  Ever had a manager who managed to be more in the way?  That kind of thing.  I dunno, maybe it’s not so grave on a hockey team.

All that said it’s a situation where it’s hard for PGJM to screw up, these guys seem to like each other, despite the obvious (and most welcome) competitiveness among them.

14. Mikey_39 says:

I like your style.  I chose the other sedin over kovyII because of brother factor and Kovalchuk hasn’t proven he’s a winner.

15. Mike Boone says:

Could be a bargain if he develops. An uncharacteristically sane contract for Sather.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

8G, 19A in his 3rd NHL season, good progress and he’s coming cheaper than some Defensive Ds with maybe half of his offensive upside. I would take M. Staal at that number easily.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Look how well that played out last time the team voted on the captain. The Habs don’t have that tradition of handing the torch from player to player anymore. Now the torch is being handed from management to the players. The team will get back to voting captains when they put some years between them and the great putsch.

18. Mikey_39 says:

First: Getzlaf, Ovechkin, Crosby (i didn’t want to take Crosby because he’s a brat, but when the chips are down he shows up)

Second: Stamkos+Sedin twins

Third: Stall, Ryan, Parise (I freaking hate richards with a passion)

Fourth: this one was easy…Kane, Toews, Zetterberg

D1: Keith….just Keith, I refuse to take either of the other two.  Can I take Subban or Gorges?

D2:another no brainer…Webber and Marky

Doughty-Boumeester

Goalies:

Miller

Halak

23. SmartDog says:

FIRST LINE:

Crosby-Ovechkin-Getzlaf   (try and stop THAT!)

SECOND LINE:

Stamkos-Kovalchuk- H Sedin

THIRD LINE:

Parise-M Richards-E Staal

FOURTH LINE:

Heatley- Toews-Zetterberg  (THIS Is a 4th line???)

DEFENSE: (pick 2 from each list)

Green-Keith

Markov-Chara

Doughty-Boumeester

Goalies: (pick 1 from each category)

Miller

Halak

——–
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

24. Rugger says:

Other than the top line, we are pretty close

25. Bill J says:

FIRST LINE: Crosby-Malkin-Ovechkin

SECOND LINE: Gaborik-Stamkos-Kovalchuk

THIRD LINE: M Richards-Ryan-E Staal

FOURTH LINE: Kane-Toews-Marleau

DEFENSE: (pick 2 from each list)

Green-Keith

Weber-Markov

Doughty-Boumeester

Goalies: (pick 1 from each category)

Brodeur-Price

– Cammalleri for Team Captain!

26. habinypsi says:

They should bring Metro into the organization when he is done playing, I think he would be a great in Mgt or coaching .

27. Rugger says:

Crosby, Ovie, Getzalf

Stamkos, Sedin, Sedin

Parise-Richards-Staal

Kane-Toews-Zet

Pronger-Keith

Markov-Chara

Doughty-Bow

Miller-Price

28. scrowe21 says:

hahaha

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

29. mike g says:

And who said you could move players from their groups?….

I’m sorry Mr. Lamoriello, but you’ve been caught trying to circumsize the salary cap. You’ll be fined 3 dollars, and your 1st and 3rd posts following this message will be deleted by the mods…

Good luck with your team next year.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Malkin

Stamkos – H Sedin – D Sedin

Parise – E Staal – M Richards

Kane – Toews – Zetterberg

Pronger-Keith

Markov-Weber

Doughty-Bouwmeester

Miller

Price

Choices were made on complimenting styles and expected chemsitry.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

31. habinypsi says:

To pay the bills?

32. scrowe21 says:

Ovie – Malkin – Zetterburg ( Moved him from 4th )

Stamkos – Sedin Brothers

Parise – Richards – Ryan

Kane – Toews – Getzlaf

D

Pronger – Keith

Markov – Chara

Gonchar – Doughty

G

Miller

Halak

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

33. mike g says:

Alright, ya bunch of fake GM’s…

Here’s a little thing I like to call, ” Be A GM For 5 Minutes, Because You’re Really Bored Right Now And There’s Nothing Else To Do”….

If you’re building a team, choose 3 players in each category to fill your roster, regardless of their positions.

FIRST LINE:

Crosby-Malkin-Ovechkin-Getzlaf-Backstrom

SECOND LINE:

Gaborik-Stamkos-Kovalchuk- H Sedin- D Sedin

THIRD LINE:

Thornton-Parise-M Richards-Ryan-E Staal

FOURTH LINE:

Heatley- Kane-Toews-Marleau- Zetterberg

DEFENSE: (pick 2 from each list)

Green-Pronger-Keith

Webber-Markov-Chara

Gonchar-Doughty-Boumeester

Goalies: (pick 1 from each category)

Kipper-Miller-Brodeur-Lundqvist-Bryzgalov-Luongo

Ward-Hiller-Price-Rinne-Raask-Halak-Niemi-Fleury

Ready, set, go……

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

34. habfan53 says:

Congrats to Metro for landing where he did. I’m going to miss his hard work, dedication, Power Play goals and his leadership. Towards the end of last season when his ice time was slashed NOT A WORD from him he put the team first. Now it looks like the family time that he missed he will get back in spades

I have no problem with the young guns they are trying to bring along  so lets just say Darche or Metro?? METRO hands down  for a couple of thousand more.

As for the captaincy first choice Cammi someone said he is to vocal with the media no problem with that. Also from the start last year he seemed to embrace the TRADITION of Montreal and it’s fans. Second choice would be Markov then Gill.

35. punkster says:

1. No, not for the 4 to 5  minutes a game. But I’ll miss him.

2. Gionta. Same as last Xmas.

3. 2 others

4. Markov

5. Gill (I wouldn’t want PK to hurt his hands and Boone would likely escalate it by pulling a shiv)

FREE TIMO!

36. SeriousFan09 says:

There’s Montreal, than there’s the rest of Canada. Somehow, I doubt Markov is keen to be an Oiler.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. SLONCOLD says:

well i mean he might love living in canada but i’m sure he’ll play for any team that will pay him.

38. davelecave says:

This is the sickest video ever.

39. Bill J says:

vestiaire.ca “rumours” that Cammy is the players consensus choice.

Take that for what it’s worth.

– Cammalleri for Team Captain!

40. mike g says:

Well said….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

41. habaddict_andy says:

I haven’t forgotten where he came from.  How he avoided trouble as a teenager by playing hockey when his family lived in a hard part of town in Toronto.  That story that was published by the Gazette was insperational.  Wish him the best.

I looked for the article but found this instead.

42. Bill J says:

PG did not “lose” Halak – he got assets in return for him.

Now as far as Markov is concerned, I agree… Lord help PG if he doesnt 1) Sign Markov or 2) trade him for something of value.

– Cammalleri for Team Captain!

43. mike g says:

My point was…

We had a very small captain fo 11 years and always complained. We saw him get shoved around and hacked for years.

I just don’t wanna see that happen again.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

44. rocketsglare says:

Good for Metro. He deserves nothing but the best. His dedication and commitment while playing for the Habs

made him a fan favorite. Time simply caught up to Metro and being the class guy that he is understood that.

It tells you volumes about Metro’s character when he still remembers and speaks well of us Habs fans and I

can say the same is true for Metro. Class all the way.

45. HabFanSince72 says:

Whoever is injured.

46. habaddict_andy says:

Camalleri in photo shoot.  His sox get’s more attention.

47. Bill J says:

FYI – the majority of teams in the NHL – Management chooses who the Captain is.

I agree, it should be the players.  But that is not typically how it is done.

PS – yes with the Habs for the last 100 years (or almost) it has almost always been the players who decided.

– Cammalleri for Team Captain!

48. bwoar says:

“Lower the Boone” that’s gotta become a standard here.

49. bwoar says:

1. No.  I’ll always cheer for him and he’s got every bit of my respect but I favour the youth option and he’d be a victim if I were GM.  Sorry Metro, but we love ya anyhow.  Come back as a coach?

2. Cammalleri and no.

3. Two guys, Markov and Gionta

4. Markov

5. Boone, no question.  Ya gonna hit a man with glasses?

50. SeriousFan09 says:

Embarassing for who? People who try and target Brian Gionta for a fight they’re just going to embarass themselves by trying it out, ‘hey look at me, I’m trying to fight a guy who’s 5’7″, I’m the toughest guy in the world!”, there may not be much honour in the NHL but doing that? Flat out embarassing for the player and his team.

Gionta plays a game that has him slipping around the opposition or avoiding hits, he has a solid build and a low center of gravity. He will take hits but that’s something he has dealt with since he entered the league and it’s not going to shock the team if their captain gets knocked over a bit. Phaneuf tries to fight Gionta, he makes a mockery of himself and his team, if he tries to hit him, Gionta will occasionally take the hit but that’s part of the game, it isn’t like Phaneuf will take him with kid gloves in games if Gionta is just wearing an A.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. mike g says:

I have no idea who they’d choose…

All I’m saying is if I had a vote, it would be him for the reasons above. If he accepted the task, of course…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

52. scrowe21 says:

So out of Subban-Markov, Hammer-Spacek, Gill-Gorges….who sits so O’Byrne can play?

——–

My spinorama shootout goal with Cammy

53. WarHero says:

Great Post JD! Exceuse me while I grab a tissue or two. Gotta Love Metro!!

————————————————————————

54. HABZ24 says:

subban will be a stud but lets hope he can handle the pressure in the bigs of a full season. hes enjoyed the highs lets see how he handles the lows.

55. bwoar says:

Giving someone the C is a poor incentive to keep the in a city.  First of all the players, not the coach should decide who is captain.  Captaincy of a hockey team is something that ought to be earned on the ice and in the room, to use it as a bargaining chip sends a message that it’s management who runs the team, the players are interchangeable and whatever dynamic the team has internally is secondary to the whims of contracts, the players market and the stoking of egos.

I doubt that a player of Markov’s integrity would think highly of being offered the C under such circumstances, and would be conscious of the insult that would be to other leaders on the club.  Merit of leadership, not contracts, ought to be the determining factor.

And yeah, it’s a bit of a popularity contest among the team too.

EDIT: I expect he’ll resign over the Xmas break.

56. CP31 says:

I think people are missing a very important point, which is if the player’s decide and/or have “a hand” in the decision on the CAPTAIN…………..will they choose Markov when others like Gio, Cammy and Gorgeous all are candidates?

I’m saying Markov isn’t a great candidate, but don’t discredit the other 3 and how the “locker room” views them as leader’s!

Just my 2 cents for a Wednesday afternoon.

“SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU”

57. thorandresson says:

He does, but he might have a point with those rookie tournaments, they sound like a bit of a charade.  I think that’s probably why the Habs have opted not to join and have their own internal camp.

58. SmartDog says:

Puerile. But it still made me laugh.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

59. mike g says:

There’s no debating the way he plays…

He’s a warrior and always gives his full effort. But even at that, it doesn’t change his size. If someone 5 inches taller than him punches him, he’s gonna fall. It’s natural, the guy is just really small. And I don’t know if that’s what we should get ourselves into, having your captain being pushed around all the time is a messy street.

Our team is already labelled as a small team, and having the 2nd shortest player in the league as your captain just adds to that title.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

60. avatar_58 says:

Is it that same lump we collectively had when Lang didn’t resign? :(

(I miss Lang…..)

61. Propwash says:

Metro definately has skills, remember this?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

62. Morenz7 says:

5. You have to assume Gill isn’t there, because really, who would start that fight if he were?

63. avatar_58 says:

Really? I see him going unsigned all the way to the post season, then a long painful wait as we hold our breath hoping they sign him BEFORE he hits the market. The only optimistic thing I can offer is that they most likely WILL sign him before that, but trust me it will *not* happen during the season. Count on it.

I mean how long have you watched this team? They don’t do the logical thing ever when it comes to signings. I agree on waiting to see how his play is affected, but waiting till season’s end is going to be painful…..

Lord help Gauthier if he loses Markov AND Halak. He will never live that down.

64. Rudy says:

Yeah, allergies maybe, I suddenly got the sniffles.

I hope Boone keeps in touch with this former Hab and updates us, trully a honest to goodness good guy.

65. habs03 says:

I don’t think anyone should be worried about Markov not resigning with us, Markov proved that he wants to stay in with the Habs 3 summers ago when he could have been a UFA at 27 and in his prime, he signed a decent contract even before FA started. I think Markov will resign  sometime next summer before July 1st, and I would image the contract is going to be similar to the one he has now. In regards to the the C, I can’t image how it won’t be Gionta, with Gorges a close 2nd, Cammy is my fav player, but no chance he gets the C, he is too open with the media.

66. Morenz7 says:

Local tv out in Victoria did a nice piece on Ryan O’Byrne hoping to get things back on track after last season. Easy to forget he got injured early then lost his mother to cancer. I for one would love to see him elevate his game to the point he gets a regular shift. We can really use some sandpaper behind the blue line against teams like Boston, Philly and increasingly Toronto.

67. punkster says:

Must be something goin’ round ’cause I’m having trouble with this lump in my throat this morning.

FREE TIMO!

68. habaddict_andy says:

I don’t know why my post got deleted.  I was simply saying that Nuna is a persistant one and that we agree on one thing which is that we are both fans and we will be in the same page after 20 games.

Maybe it’s because I said Metro was a good player with good heart, but it does not mean he cannot be replaced as a player.

69. Chuck says:

Metro. Truly one of those great character guys of the kind that every team needs. If only the salary cap were $1million higher…

70. Propwash says:

I dunno Mike, Gio isn’t exactly a pushover either, plus he plays huge almost every game. I for one would love to see a C on him.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

71. mike g says:

I know Gionta’s great….

I’m just not sold on the idea of a player of his size being captain. Immagine Chara smacking him in the face, or Gionta just getting a beatting by the opposition. That’s your captain gettin that beatting, and he’s not exactly the bull on the farm.

As much as the guy gives effort and welcomes challenges, I think being captain is suited for someone with a little more size. All teams can do is smash Gionta once a game, and piss off the Habs for hitting their captain. That takes a team off it’s game. Guys won’t go after Markov as much because he’s bigger, stronger, and can defend himself more.

I’m talking from my experience of playing hockey. The captain was always someone who was a great leader, but also someone able to defend himself. There’s nothing more embarassing than Phaneuf smashing Gionta, and Brian getting a beat down. That’s a big possibility due to the size differences.

And I wouldn’t want the Habs’ captain to be getting pummelled by a Leafs captain.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

72. SeriousFan09 says:

And there are 24 American ones, kind of silly to root yourself in FA to 5 other teams by taking a CDN citizenship, especially when half of those are crap in any given year and you might be thinking about your Cup chances and shot at winning a Norris.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.