The HIO community

Who we are, in pie graph form, courtesy of Gazette marketing stats wizard David Klimek

Interesting proportions of women and young fans: 42 per cent in the 18-34 sweet spot that advertisers covet.

(No breakdown on what percentage of the women find Boone better looking than either Stubbs or Hickey. Conservative estimate: 80)

•  •  •

The Canadiens make it official: Maxim Lapierre signed for 2010-’11 season; also Mathieu Carle and James T. Wyman.

The stats:

1. GrimJim says:

In Spain the linoneum IS hot…

2. Chuck says:

They must be included in the 13% under age 18 and the 23% under 40k income.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

3. GrimJim says:

I think one of the d-men to watch in Hamilton will be Nash. Based on some of the commentary I’ve heard he might be the steady physical d-man that Habs mgmt were hoping Fischer would develop into

4. The Cat says:

Welcome to the forum Chuck!

5. andrewberkshire says:

I think Engqvist has said that he won’t come over to NA unless it’s in the NHL.

6. The Cat says:

Only cats are smart enough to surf the web,  dogs just eat the keyboard ^_^

7. GrimJim says:

I think they should platoon Gill, Hammer and Spacek as the seventh d, rotating them almost like starting pitchers in baseball. That way the 35 year olds don’t get worn out by March.

8. SmartDog says:

Where are the dogs in this chart?

It’s a sham.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

9. Chuck says:

After checking out the HI/O demographic breakdown, I’ve come to the realization that I’m so incredibly… average.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

10. habsfan0 says:

Another interesting stat would have been how many HIO members don’t reside in Quebec.

11. GrimJim says:

Look on the bright side… The Habs gave him the courtesy of an NHL salary for the reg season days that he was here, and the ECF bonus money for the playoff run.

I hope he took his family out for a nice dinner on that chunk of change

12. GrimJim says:

Some of the people around here were talking about trotter as the 5th centre, so he should be on the longshot list. Otherwise you seem about right. Two of your longshots will make up the taxi squad. My guess, based on seeing absolutely nothing of them for more than two months, is White and Palushaj. Engqvist might need a year in the A to get used to the north american game.

13. New says:

The data is likely extrapolated from the same raw sources as the opinions.

14. pic1983 says:

Tom the bomb –> no skill

Steve Begin –> no skill

You can love heart and effort all you want (dont get me wrong, I was a big fan of those guys when they played for us), but these types of players are too easily replaceable these days.  The game is won by how many goals were scored, not how many body checks were laid out, or how many times you challenged a way larger opponent only to get pummelled.  You definitely need heart to win, but in todays league, you need a boatload of skill also.

15. Julie H says:

You’re not wrong, I know that. I think their knowledge of being expendable kills me as much as how we treat them when they play well and when they don’t play so well. It’s just really unfortunate.

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

16. pic1983 says:

Your answer used to work, but after watching paccioretty do nothing, d’agostini do nothing, sergei trail off, guillaume publically complain about not knowing what they wanted from him, and now lapierre, that answer gets a little old.

ThOur young players are consistently confused, theres no two ways about it.

17. Mark says:

I know it’d make sense to buy a Habs one being Habs fans and all, but wouldn’t it make more sense to buy a Leafs one, seeing as how they’re always golfing?

18. Former Jets Fan says:

season-ending shoulder injury.

19. nick says:

Congratulations of turning 54 ;)

20. 100HABS says:

Why did Carle only play 31 games in the AHL last year?

Thanks.

21. avatar_58 says:

Nothing bothers me more than watching the Leafs, Hawks or whoeever else give their young D plenty of time to develop on TOP 4 duty. Why can’t the habs follow? If they bring Subban up and use him as the 5th/6th I’m going to be very dissapointed. Same goes for Carle/Weber. Let them make mistakes please. Rotate them around to see who’s confident and who’s not.

Subban IS ready. Weber….eh he’ll get there. Carle just has some injury issues (cough…like markov?…cough) and Obyrne is our only physical D-man. We need him.

22. TorontoHabsFan says:

I realize I’m jumping the gun here, but if the off-season moves really are done (outside of Price’s signing), then realistically how many jobs are open for competition in training camp? 2 bottom 6 fwds?

The top six is set.

D is set

Bottom six – locks are: Lapierre, Moen, Boyd. Inside track: Pyatt, Darche, Eller. Longshots: Pacioretty, Palushaj, Maxwell, White, Engqvist.

Am I missing anybody? Who do you think fills out the bottom six?

23. avatar_58 says:

I know he is, which is why I say keep Gill for leadership 7th d-man purposes (and shot blocking 101 for the kids).

24. Harani says:

You have got to watch this video of Pepe Reina introducing the Spain team’s players after the parade. It’s hilarious!

Also watch the Spain National team celebrating on the plane and mocking Casillas who is sitting with his girlfriend/reporter Sara Carbonero. Party! Party! Party!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

25. pic1983 says:

Totally agree.  Didnt hamr lead our team in giveaways last season? and by a significant margin?

26. likehoy says:

for all the Golfers out there http://hockeystickputters.com/details.aspx?ProductID=19 Montreal Canadiens styled putter.

27. TorontoHabsFan says:

Switch Gill (his contract expires next year) with Tinordi and I think you’re bang on. Although I think that realistically Tinordi is 2 years away at minimum.

28. pic1983 says:

Why should lapierre drop them? Hes an “agitator” not a “fighter”.  The whole point of being an “agitator” is to “agitate” the other team, not to give them the satisfaction of beating the snot out of you, that would be counter productive.  Lapierre played the agitator role extremely well in the playoffs.

I dont get all the people who think an agitator should drop their gloves…

29. JD_ says:

With regards to the Chicken v. Egg situation implied by the need to both trade Halak and sign Price, mgmt has to weigh which move will have a more disproportionately negative impact on the other. Although you get it, CH, the ability to think in three dimensions is outside the realm of a select few who inappropriately apply a ceteris paribus handcuff to the move that was actually made when assessing the one that wasn’t.

Moving parts can make folks go all mental ‘n’ all. It compels them to both eat their cake and want it.

Had I been in Gauthier’s position, I would have done precisely the same thing. Doesn’t mean it will necessarily end up being the right decision but, then again, I look through the windshield when I drive.

You’re absolutely correct: There is no such thing as a SansGoat Habs fan. I’ve usually got one tucked away in my back pocket. Comes with the territory. Kinda like being a Loafs fan and watchin’ the team lose.

Probably worth polling as to who is most likely to wear the crown of horns this season, you know, before the season actually begins and someone underperforms.

30. likehoy says:

well, if maxwell had no part in our plans for the future, could we not have done him the courtesy of NOT depriving him of 2 months of hockey? he could have played in the bulldogs playoff run, where he helped the team so much (3rd in scoring before he was called up)?

we could have brought up a player that was in our plans instead of screwing the kid.

31. likehoy says:

he’s had flashes of brilliance…

from what i’ve seen he’s just got a well balanced game with no holes but nothing exceptional…i’m not sure that will be enough for him to forge an NHL career.

32. avatar_58 says:

Subban / Gorges / Markov / Obyrne / Weber / Carle / Gill

This should be our D corps once Hamr and Spacek take off. I want to see more confidence shown to our young guys. The HELL with aging slow D-men. I want speedy, cocky, confident young guns. They make mistakes? So what, so does Hamr and Spacek on a regular basis. Hell Bergeron couldn’t puck handle and he had regular top shifts.

Why can’t the habs give their young players time? STOP benching them.

33. andrewberkshire says:

I think it’s just that coaches found it wasn’t effective to focus on a single player anymore. The closest I’ve seen to shadowing in the NHL recently was Plekanec on Crosby in the playoffs this year, and Datsyuk on Crosby in the playoffs the year before. Both were effective but those two are leaps and bounds better players than Lapierre.

34. badangel says:

lol mostly not scared.. tho sometimes intimidated!

35. andrewberkshire says:

I agree with that being poor management. Maxwell never should have been called up because he’s an impact player in Hamilton, and everyone knows he wasn’t going to be given a chance to be an impact player in Montreal this year. We should have called up Ryan White for spot duty.

Maxwell does have talent, I’ve seen him make some nice plays, even in Montreal, but he never finishes them off because he’s just too weak, or he bails because he afraid to get hit.

36. The Cat says:

Maybe theres a rule against it, probably interference in the new NHL, maybe someone can shed some light.

37. Chorske says:

Like Andrew, I think Maxwell is done, no longer part of team plans, etc.

I don’t think we mishandled him, I just don’t think he had that much upside to begin with.

38. The Cat says:

Cool! Its good to know we dont scare them all away lol

39. Chorske says:

You’re a SPANIARD. You think linoleum is hot.

40. Malreg says:

O’Byrne will start as the 7th D.

41. likehoy says:

the funny thing is maxwell hasn’t even been given a chance to play in a top 2 line role…he plays 4 or 5 minutes a game to not make any mistakes.

he’s never been a physical player so we can’t judge him on his physicality…..

the worst part was how we were stuck with him for 2 months and he couldn’t even be sent down to the AHL and he was too much of a liability to be thrown into the playoffs. that was poor player management.

jury is still out on the kid and i hope he pans out…but he’s a prospect we’ve mishandled dearly.

42. badangel says:

here!

and very very happy to know that my impending birthday does NOT put me into a different age bracket according to this pie chart. woohoo!

43. andrewberkshire says:

I’m pretty sure there’s a reason why they don’t exist. The game has passed by that role like the enforcer will no longer be needed within 10 years. The game is too fast now to have a shadow.

44. HFX-HabFan says:

What Berkshire said, CapGeek.com all the way.  They include signings and re-signings almost instantly.  Our current situation is marked out including the new Lapierre deal.

45. Chorske says:

Laps. I think you hit it on the head- as was the case with Pleks, he is centering blame on himself, and he recognizes that the onus is on him to bring his game up a notch. But simply being intense and a pest is not enough- even a bunch of blockheads like the Flyers cottoned on (within one game!) that the trick with Laps, as it was with BGL, is to simply ignore the yappy little effer. When that happens, the only thing left for Laps to do is to use his size and energy to move the puck off the boards to his linemates, and THAT is what I want to see more of. Same yapping, more energy, and MUCH more dirt on his nose.

Price. OK, I get why they didn’t sign Price before dealing Halak. I get it. I think. Um. Anyway. But here’s the thing- being in MTL is kind of like a popularity contest. GAWD knows I love(d) Saku, but part of the reason he lasted so much longer than so many Captains before him was because he was so damned popular- for all the right reasons, mind you. Same with BGL, and look: even after sucking a monkey’s ass for 1.5 seasons despite an astonishing bump in pay grade, people still fall over themselves to see him. It’s a popularity show. And Price, who surfed in here on EXACTLY the same kind of do-no-wrong Second-Coming goodwill that PK is experiencing today, has burned through all that capital and is no longer our UNCONTESTED golden boy (PK addicts, take notice). And if this drags on through the summer, Price is going to give Brisebois a run for his money in the Who Gets To Be The Goat sweepstakes. Looked like O’Byrne was the front runner, for a while, then it was Sergei. We need a New Goat, Carey, and you’re being fitted for horns. Sign, and sign quickly.