The HIO community

Who we are, in pie graph form, courtesy of Gazette marketing stats wizard David Klimek

Interesting proportions of women and young fans: 42 per cent in the 18-34 sweet spot that advertisers covet.

(No breakdown on what percentage of the women find Boone better looking than either Stubbs or Hickey. Conservative estimate: 80)

•  •  •

The Canadiens make it official: Maxim Lapierre signed for 2010-’11 season; also Mathieu Carle and James T. Wyman.

The stats:

1. avatar_58 says:

Subban / Gorges / Markov / Obyrne / Weber / Carle / Gill

This should be our D corps once Hamr and Spacek take off. I want to see more confidence shown to our young guys. The HELL with aging slow D-men. I want speedy, cocky, confident young guns. They make mistakes? So what, so does Hamr and Spacek on a regular basis. Hell Bergeron couldn’t puck handle and he had regular top shifts.

Why can’t the habs give their young players time? STOP benching them.

2. andrewberkshire says:

I think it’s just that coaches found it wasn’t effective to focus on a single player anymore. The closest I’ve seen to shadowing in the NHL recently was Plekanec on Crosby in the playoffs this year, and Datsyuk on Crosby in the playoffs the year before. Both were effective but those two are leaps and bounds better players than Lapierre.

3. badangel says:

lol mostly not scared.. tho sometimes intimidated!

4. andrewberkshire says:

I agree with that being poor management. Maxwell never should have been called up because he’s an impact player in Hamilton, and everyone knows he wasn’t going to be given a chance to be an impact player in Montreal this year. We should have called up Ryan White for spot duty.

Maxwell does have talent, I’ve seen him make some nice plays, even in Montreal, but he never finishes them off because he’s just too weak, or he bails because he afraid to get hit.

5. The Cat says:

Maybe theres a rule against it, probably interference in the new NHL, maybe someone can shed some light.

6. Chorske says:

Like Andrew, I think Maxwell is done, no longer part of team plans, etc.

I don’t think we mishandled him, I just don’t think he had that much upside to begin with.

7. The Cat says:

Cool! Its good to know we dont scare them all away lol

8. Chorske says:

You’re a SPANIARD. You think linoleum is hot.

9. Malreg says:

O’Byrne will start as the 7th D.

10. likehoy says:

the funny thing is maxwell hasn’t even been given a chance to play in a top 2 line role…he plays 4 or 5 minutes a game to not make any mistakes.

he’s never been a physical player so we can’t judge him on his physicality…..

the worst part was how we were stuck with him for 2 months and he couldn’t even be sent down to the AHL and he was too much of a liability to be thrown into the playoffs. that was poor player management.

jury is still out on the kid and i hope he pans out…but he’s a prospect we’ve mishandled dearly.

11. badangel says:

and very very happy to know that my impending birthday does NOT put me into a different age bracket according to this pie chart. woohoo!

12. andrewberkshire says:

I’m pretty sure there’s a reason why they don’t exist. The game has passed by that role like the enforcer will no longer be needed within 10 years. The game is too fast now to have a shadow.

13. HFX-HabFan says:

What Berkshire said, all the way.  They include signings and re-signings almost instantly.  Our current situation is marked out including the new Lapierre deal.

14. Chorske says:

Laps. I think you hit it on the head- as was the case with Pleks, he is centering blame on himself, and he recognizes that the onus is on him to bring his game up a notch. But simply being intense and a pest is not enough- even a bunch of blockheads like the Flyers cottoned on (within one game!) that the trick with Laps, as it was with BGL, is to simply ignore the yappy little effer. When that happens, the only thing left for Laps to do is to use his size and energy to move the puck off the boards to his linemates, and THAT is what I want to see more of. Same yapping, more energy, and MUCH more dirt on his nose.

Price. OK, I get why they didn’t sign Price before dealing Halak. I get it. I think. Um. Anyway. But here’s the thing- being in MTL is kind of like a popularity contest. GAWD knows I love(d) Saku, but part of the reason he lasted so much longer than so many Captains before him was because he was so damned popular- for all the right reasons, mind you. Same with BGL, and look: even after sucking a monkey’s ass for 1.5 seasons despite an astonishing bump in pay grade, people still fall over themselves to see him. It’s a popularity show. And Price, who surfed in here on EXACTLY the same kind of do-no-wrong Second-Coming goodwill that PK is experiencing today, has burned through all that capital and is no longer our UNCONTESTED golden boy (PK addicts, take notice). And if this drags on through the summer, Price is going to give Brisebois a run for his money in the Who Gets To Be The Goat sweepstakes. Looked like O’Byrne was the front runner, for a while, then it was Sergei. We need a New Goat, Carey, and you’re being fitted for horns. Sign, and sign quickly.

15. SlovakHab says:

I agree. Palushaj has played with Eller in Pretoria last season. Pacioretty has already shown could be an NHL calibre player and White didn’t look too shabby as well.

I am not very optimistic on Maxwell, who might follow the likes of Corey Locke.

16. andrewberkshire says:

Maxwell is still young, but I’ve all but given up on him. He needs to put on some muscle before he gets another useless callup.

17. andrewberkshire says:

NHLnumbers isn’t including Eller. I include him because he’s a lock to make the team. NHLnumbers has also fallen behind a bit in certain areas, capgeek is more accurate.

18. JasonM says:

Math is so hot.

19. Rugger says:

Not sure where all the data comes from, maybe they are looking at the URL and seeing who it is registered to.  That would account for the high female number and the low under 18 number.  Lots of teens using Mom’s computer.

20. SlovakHab says:

I actually thought about that one. Gionta & Gomez will play together, that one is for sure. Now, they need a LW with some size and possibly some finish coz Gomez won’t score.

2 obvious options: Pouliot and Eller.

Pretty sure we’ll experience both of these options during the course of the season.

‘Cammalleri – Plekanec – Kostitsyn’ look set as well, but if Frolov become available… On that line (instead of AK), he would be a great fit with his size, some scoring touch and as his history with Cammalleri. But that’s very much hypothetical coz I don’t believe Andrei is going anywhere.

21. The Cat says:

Honestly where are all these women?

22. SeriousFan09 says:

3-way fight between Pacioretty, White and Palushaj I think, they all bring a much more physical element than Ben Maxwell who so far, seems very soft when playing in NHL games and we could use physical play from a Bottom-6 forward.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. The Cat says:

So what if they dont exist. It can be brought back. Its not against the rules. Sidney Crosby said that Lapierre was the hardest to play against in the juniors. So Lapierre can be a pest by shadowing rather than being a pest by taking cheap shots after the whistle. The habs are crazy to not try this option.

Andrew – I didn’t really mean that the Habs would “sign” any players but rather use the space to bring up kids (eller, White).  The count inlcuding Price  and Subban is 21, not 22.  It’s 22 if you include Ben Maxwell and I seriously doubt that we will be starting the year with Maxwell on the team.  It will be a bad omen if we do.  I’m hoping that White gets the call over Maxwell.

(players in light gray font are not part of the calculated cap hit).

25. HFX-HabFan says:

Or Ryan White!  I think he is more NHL ready for what he brings.

Anyone else hoping for the next generation of the “EGG” line with Eller on the wing with Gomez and Gionta?

26. Kaptain K says:

u missed one

“Sex panther cologne…. 60% of the time.. it works EVERY time”

27. habitual says:

Still there Julie?

Only in rare circumstances can it be for the love of the crest on the jersey.  Look at the way teams treat players:  Tom the Bomb, Steve Begin, heart and soul guys both who were discarded.  Moore, who played so well this year:  thanks but no thanks.

Hell, if  you go back far enough, look what that nob Lemaire did as coach to Lafleur, whom the Habs traded.

Players know they are expendible as last year’s cell phones, so they have to look after their own interests.

28. andrewberkshire says:

Doubt there will be any forward signings, they’ll let the kids slug it out for a spot. As soon as Price is signed, if you include Pacioretty, we have a 22 man roster.

29. andrewberkshire says:

When you give him a call, suggest trading Hamrlik and getting on that Price signing.

We are now at $54,655,000 with 20 players signed (which includes MaxPac and Subban).  We now need to sign Price as well as a forward or two (based on a 22 or 23 man roster).  Should be easily done.

31. The Capitalist Pig says:

Who would have ever thought that St. Albans, Vermont would become the center of free speech?

32. derfab says:

I saw his first game up and thought he looked not only ready but fundamentally better than Weber. He’s still only 22.

character is derfab destiny.

33. Psycho29 says:

Some additional stats the HI/O “braintrust” left out:

Only 30% of us can flare our nostrils.

21% of us don’t make our bed daily. 5% of us never do.

Men do 29% of laundry each week. Only 7% of women trust their husbands to do it correctly.

40% of women have hurled footwear at a man.

85% of men don’t use the slit in their underwear.

67.5% of men wear tightie whities

The average bra size today is 36C whereas 10 years ago it was a 34B.

85% of women wear the wrong bra size.

91% of us lie regularly.

13% (mostly men) have spent a night in jail.

29% of us are virgins when we marry.

34. derfab says:

I recognize Lapierre’s contribution, but I can’t say I really like him much. His style of play should include the guts to drop ’em.  Without that, or a change in his game,  he will always be an underachiever. Moreover, someone may, understandably, decide to take his head off at an opportune time. Maybe that’s what the guy below meant by confusion.

character is derfab destiny.

35. Les-Habitants says:

Amazing, love the community that this site has become.

Back to hockey:  Mathieu Carle starts the season as our 7th D?  I’d like to see him get some NHL action and see what he can do.  He’s pretty solid two-way, if he can avoid another freak injury.  Weber would be the other logical choice, but I’m uncertain as to who is more ready for prime-time.

36. soperman says:

Same message, less subtle.

They traded Halak. Jaroslav Halak. YOU ARE KIDDING ME?

37. soperman says:

You should read the data more carefully.  There are 82,300 unique viewers out there with 45% being women.  That would be 37,035 women out there.  There are 2.1 million views but no indication of the breakdown between male and female views.

So hey, how ya doin you 37,035 women?

They traded Halak. Jaroslav Halak. YOU ARE KIDDING ME?

38. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Good call, I forgot about White.  I really like Darche, but it just seems to make more sense to give one of the kids a chance to develop on the fourth line.  I was thinking about the Avtsin kid because he is 6’3, but if he is a goal scorer, it is better to let him develop in that role in the AHL or junior where he can play more minutes.

So we’re sorted then.  I’ll give PG a call and let him know we figured out the bottom six for him.  I’m sure that’ll be a load off his mind!!

I can dig it.

39. andrewberkshire says:

1) Shadows don’t really exist in the NHL anymore

2) Max Lapierre is not a very good defensive hockey player

40. C_Hand says:

thats page views you dork

41. Sportfan says:

Dan Carcillo signed by philly 1 year not bad I honestly cant see him anywhere else he is what the Flyers stand for

42. Sportfan says:

You shoudlnt hate the Manoir its fun there and I was therefor both game 7s what a great atmosphere it was like we were actually in the bell center or something it was loads of fun and its easy for westislanders to get too

43. JasonM says:

To you 945000 women out there…. how you doin?

44. Sportfan says:

wow im in the 10% group I thought there was more of us. Haha oh well its fun i find out info here then tell everyone i know before its official haha

45. doug says:

I’m 13%, 55%, and way less than 29%.

46. The Capitalist Pig says:

The Halak trade and the banning of Timo just threw him over the edge.

47. The Cat says:

THe role Maxime Lapierre would be best in is the role the habs havent given him yet: a shadow. Isolate the player on the other team that you want neutralized, and have Maxime shadow him.

48. andrewberkshire says:

How about Moen-Boyd-White as a 4th line? That would give Montreal the roughest line they’ve had in I don’t know how long.

49. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Good point. As you said, this guy can be a real asset to the team, and I imagine he will be next year. That line with Moore and Pyatt was absolutely integral to the playoff run. Hopefully Eller can fill Moore’s role and we can get that energy again.

50. TheDagger says:

Got to say… sure figured there would be a lot more of the HIO crowd to be under 18…

51. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I agree as well, but mostly with the Postal Service quote 😉

Do you know Cloud Cult?  If you like the Service, you might dig them as well.

If only the players played for the crest.  The whole Hossa thing left a bad taste in my mouth this year.  I mean, the guy wanted a Cup, and I can’t really fault him for that.   But there is something to be said for doing it the old fashioned way.  But if we start going down that road…then there’d only be 15 teams in the League, tickets would be affordable, the game wouldn’t stop for commercials etc, etc, etc

52. TorontoHabsFan says:

Know what’s the best part of this stellar post? That you didn’t follow the word “revert” with “back” 🙂

nicely done!

53. JD_ says:

Third- and fourth-liners get thrust into all sorts of roles, just ask Travis Moen.

The guys who thrive maintain their intensity whatever it is they’re asked to do. In the case of Max, his 2008-09 roles were all over the map, as well. The difference in 2009-10 was his intensity.

Either way, I agree this guy can be a real asset to the team and he’s be given the incentive to work himself into a decent contract.

54. andrewberkshire says:

I think for Lapierre it might still be about the crest more than the money, or he would have gone to arbitration.

I feel the same way as you Julie!

55. ed lopaz says:

56. ed lopaz says:

well, for example, last season he was switched from center to the wing.

i think he skates much better as a center.

I think that is his more natural position.

57. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I think having a defined role will help him a lot too.  Last year they were asking him to be a checking centre, then a scoring winger, than a checking winger…etc, etc.  I think this season he’ll have a consistent role to play the entire season, and that will be far better for him.  I look forward to a return to his 08/09 form too.

58. Mike from Ktown says:

The role Max has on this team is/was always simple.  Defense first, skate your but off and use your size and pot a few goals if you can.  Max has shown he can do this, he has also shown he can take a good chunk of the season off.

I am really confused about how you think he is confused about his role.  They have never asked him to be a number one center, or a PP specialist.  So after that the roles are fairly limited.

I think management is finally starting to put out a good motto for this team.  Work hard night in and night out, all the passengers will be kicked to the curb.  I do not care if a guy has the skill of Kovalev, you do not give it your all every night we’ll see you later.

59. The Capitalist Pig says:

Just think how badly he skews those income stats?

60. JD_ says:

Laps has never struck me as confused. He delivered in 2008-09 and during the 2009-10 playoffs.

The only thing that changed in his game during the 2009-10 regular season was his intensity dropped off. Perhaps it was the offseason surgery. Don’t know. But I didn’t see undefined roles/objectives being the prevailing issue.

Having watched him being interviewed, he obviously knows what he needs to do to be effective and admits as much. Like Pleks, and unlike Guimauve, he takes responsibility for what happened.

This is all his and he knows it.

I like Laps. I think his mojo’ll resurge.

61. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Yep, I think Pyatt will continue to improve.  He has the confidence of the coach, which must be huge for a depth guy.  Plus he has proven before that his offensive game generally takes a few years to blossom when he moves up a level.  Now, the guy is never going to be a 30-goal scorer, but a speedy, disciplined checker who can chip in 15 or so in a few years.  I’ll take it!

I really like the idea of Moen-Boyd being together.  A fourth line with a bit of jam.  Throw Darche on the other side, or perhaps this Avtsin (sp?) kid if he has a good camp.

62. Rugger says:

Because we, the fans do not know what role the Habs want Max to play, does not mean that the Habs have not clearly defined his role to him.  the Habs are under no obligation to share that with us.

63. Rugger says:

“RFA on the Bubble” can’t think of a better way situation for the Habs.  They need to perform to get paid.

64. ed lopaz says:

I wanted to reply to some posts from this morning re: Max Lapierre;

because I think there is a bigger issue, and I would be interested in some feedback.

Here’s the quote I pulled from SF ’09

“but they’re not sure which is the real Lapierre yet”.

And here’s the quote from Tom –

“If his role is that he’s an agitator, and that’s what the team wants him to be, he might be a bit underpaid here.  But if his role is to be a physical bottom six checker, he’s priced accordingly with this contract.

What’s the connection between the 2?

We don’t know who Max Lapierre truly is, yet.

Now, if you’re running a business, and you hire someone, who’s responsibility is it to define the employee’s role?

Isn’t it your responsibility – the owner, or the manager, or in this case, the Habs / JM?

Max will be a good NHL player one day; effective and productive.

But, it is very likely NOT with the Habs – because he can’t “find himself” in this organisation, and the organisation is also letting him down.

Max is big, he’s fast, he’s agressive and he has good hands.

I believe that the player MUST GIVE THE EFFORT FIRST AND FOREMOST; but,

The organisation, it is equally true, MUST GIVE THE DIRECTION to its employees, to maximise the return.

Hate to say it, but I think the Habs are lacking this area.

Its part of the “professional development” discussions we’ve had.

65. Julie H says:

I wish it wasn’t about the money. I wish it was about their love for the game and their love for the crest on the front of their jersey they should be so proud to represent. That being said, I think Lats is the new Ryder. He went to a new team and did quite well. We’ll have to wait and see what the new season brings for him.

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

66. JD_ says:

* Sure he wants term; Laps loves being a Hab. But he has to prove he has consistent and sustainable mojo. This is no different than Guimauve heading into last season armed with a one-year contract. In his case, the effort was nil and he got moved. I’m willing to bet Laps gets it – this guy is most certainly not lickin’ his wounds – and will revert to the kind of hockey he displayed in 2008-09 and through last year’s playoffs.

* In the end, arguing management should have given Laps term cause he would have come cheap is not how successful high-comp businesses are built. I don’t want cheap guys in their mid-20s, I want value guys; value is a measure of both price and performance. Now Laps has a chance to prove he’s valuable or, more accurately, consistently valuable. Whatever the case, the boo-freakin’-hoo brigade, the one that casts every management decision that smacks of pragmatism as classless and disrespectful, will once again swing and miss on this one.

* Between the likes of AK46, Laps, Poolio, and MaxPac, the theme for the 2010-11 campaign appears to be “RFA On The Bubble”If I were a rich man, Daidle deedle daidle, Daidle daidle deedle daidle dum…

* Speaking of rich men, I hear Gary Bettman makes a tidy $100 bajillion pretax per annum. Good for him. If you also want to make a tidy $100 bajillion pretax per annum, take his job away from him. Nice work if you can get it. Not to mention you get to sit down twice a year with Ron MacLean and watch his elocution become increasingly bogged down as he desperately tries to corner you while your eyes dart around and your doublespeak accelerates. It’s just one heck of a wrist-grabbin’, passively-aggressive good time.

* George Steinbrenner has passed away. Condolences to the family. In other news, Calzone Corp. (NYSE:CLZ) is off 38% in midday trading.

* Carey Price any day now. I’m guessing 3 years at $2M per. If my math is correct, sets him up for a PleksPlay™; i.e., one- to five-year deal in the offseason prior to his UFA season, the term largely hingin’ on his performance over the previous three seasons. Why wouldn’t you want this guy’s career to work out? The only epic fails I Schadenfuture™ don’t wear a Habs jersey. In fact, they’re mostly effin’ Loafs or, as Chiarelli calls them, the Toronto PinchMeImDreaminHappySkipJumpSmilyWileys.

* Ah, the Manoir. Great atmosphere, cold beer and, with perhaps the exception of the prime rib and reasonably-priced burgers, really bad food. Don’t want to complain about food – we all live a privileged life on that front – but, in context, it’s just consistently bad, like the Loafs…if they were food. Whatever you do, avoid the pig’s knuckles at all costs. Not sure what they were thinking when they formulated their secret recipe but I suspect it involved the active use of a dumpster. Stick to the Krausman on Beaver Hall Hill over even the Dominion Pub (Square Tavern) on Metcalfe for yer knuckle fix. See ya on Thursday night.

67. homerbowen says:

I’m glad Laps signed without arbitration. He has the potential to be a significant contribtor this year, but this is his last chance. In addition, it will keep the RDS boys excited. Go Habs Go

68. andrewberkshire says:

He can be jealous all he wants, but last I checked Lapierre didn’t score 27 goals. But who should really be jealous, the guy who makes less money, or the guy who didn’t make the playoffs?

69. andrewberkshire says:

I agree that a consistent role would be very good for Lapierre. Not having that is a big part of why he struggled last season. I also expect Pyatt to contribute a bit more this year on the offensive side of things, as he’s shown he can do when given the chance. I think a line of Pyatt-Eller-Lapierre is very enticing, with Moen taking some shifts in place of Pyatt when muscle is needed.

70. ProHabs says:

I wonder if Laps is a little jelous of the nice contract that his buddy Lats got in Minny. Anyway, the Habs should sign Frolov to a 2 year 4-5 million dollar contract. I would feel more at ease with him on the top 2 lines than Pouliot.

71. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Agree completely.  If anything, you’d think Laps would’ve been happy with a short-term deal so that he has the chance to increase his value this season.  I guess he just wanted security and to stay with the Habs.  If Eller can step into the role Moore played in the playoffs, that third line with Pyatt will be a solid one, and it will do Laps a world of good to have a consistent role.

Yes, but how many of these people are Yeats? Take him out of the picture and those numbers skew.

73. andrewberkshire says:

Good contract for Lapierre, he gets a small raise for his effort during the playoffs and to show faith in his abilities, but contracts are ALWAYS awarded for regular season play. That’s why Joe Thornton makes 7 million a year. In the end Lapierre’s regular season was a big step back from him personally, so the Canadiens will give him a chance to earn a better contract next season.

74. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I’m glad that Carle is signed.  I was impressed by him in the couple of games I’ve seen him play with the big club.  He was very steady and had a couple of hard shots that he got through to the net.  Obviously not the second coming of Savard, but I think he’ll be an important depth defenceman.

Not surprised Laps didn’t get a long-term deal.  He still hasn’t shown consistency.  If he can play like he did in the playoffs for an entire year, he’ll get a two or three year deal I’m sure.  Hopefully playing on a line with Eller and Pyatt (I’m guessing that will be the third line) will offer him a measure of consistency.  Last year he was bouncing around on different lines, playing on the wing for the first time etc, etc.

How in the world did they collect the income stats??  (I don’t care, just curious)

75. 420cups says:

how do they know what we make tho? haha