The HIO community

Who we are, in pie graph form, courtesy of Gazette marketing stats wizard David Klimek

Interesting proportions of women and young fans: 42 per cent in the 18-34 sweet spot that advertisers covet.

(No breakdown on what percentage of the women find Boone better looking than either Stubbs or Hickey. Conservative estimate: 80)

•  •  •

The Canadiens make it official: Maxim Lapierre signed for 2010-’11 season; also Mathieu Carle and James T. Wyman.

The stats:

1. SlovakHab says:

I agree. Palushaj has played with Eller in Pretoria last season. Pacioretty has already shown could be an NHL calibre player and White didn’t look too shabby as well.

I am not very optimistic on Maxwell, who might follow the likes of Corey Locke.

2. andrewberkshire says:

Maxwell is still young, but I’ve all but given up on him. He needs to put on some muscle before he gets another useless callup.

3. andrewberkshire says:

NHLnumbers isn’t including Eller. I include him because he’s a lock to make the team. NHLnumbers has also fallen behind a bit in certain areas, capgeek is more accurate.

4. JasonM says:

Math is so hot.

5. Rugger says:

Not sure where all the data comes from, maybe they are looking at the URL and seeing who it is registered to.  That would account for the high female number and the low under 18 number.  Lots of teens using Mom’s computer.

6. SlovakHab says:

I actually thought about that one. Gionta & Gomez will play together, that one is for sure. Now, they need a LW with some size and possibly some finish coz Gomez won’t score.

2 obvious options: Pouliot and Eller.

Pretty sure we’ll experience both of these options during the course of the season.

‘Cammalleri – Plekanec – Kostitsyn’ look set as well, but if Frolov become available… On that line (instead of AK), he would be a great fit with his size, some scoring touch and as his history with Cammalleri. But that’s very much hypothetical coz I don’t believe Andrei is going anywhere.

7. The Cat says:

Honestly where are all these women?

8. SeriousFan09 says:

3-way fight between Pacioretty, White and Palushaj I think, they all bring a much more physical element than Ben Maxwell who so far, seems very soft when playing in NHL games and we could use physical play from a Bottom-6 forward.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. The Cat says:

So what if they dont exist. It can be brought back. Its not against the rules. Sidney Crosby said that Lapierre was the hardest to play against in the juniors. So Lapierre can be a pest by shadowing rather than being a pest by taking cheap shots after the whistle. The habs are crazy to not try this option.

Andrew – I didn’t really mean that the Habs would “sign” any players but rather use the space to bring up kids (eller, White).  The count inlcuding Price  and Subban is 21, not 22.  It’s 22 if you include Ben Maxwell and I seriously doubt that we will be starting the year with Maxwell on the team.  It will be a bad omen if we do.  I’m hoping that White gets the call over Maxwell.

(players in light gray font are not part of the calculated cap hit).

11. HFX-HabFan says:

Or Ryan White!  I think he is more NHL ready for what he brings.

Anyone else hoping for the next generation of the “EGG” line with Eller on the wing with Gomez and Gionta?

12. Kaptain K says:

u missed one

“Sex panther cologne…. 60% of the time.. it works EVERY time”

13. habitual says:

Still there Julie?

Only in rare circumstances can it be for the love of the crest on the jersey.  Look at the way teams treat players:  Tom the Bomb, Steve Begin, heart and soul guys both who were discarded.  Moore, who played so well this year:  thanks but no thanks.

Hell, if  you go back far enough, look what that nob Lemaire did as coach to Lafleur, whom the Habs traded.

Players know they are expendible as last year’s cell phones, so they have to look after their own interests.

14. andrewberkshire says:

Doubt there will be any forward signings, they’ll let the kids slug it out for a spot. As soon as Price is signed, if you include Pacioretty, we have a 22 man roster.

15. andrewberkshire says:

When you give him a call, suggest trading Hamrlik and getting on that Price signing.

We are now at $54,655,000 with 20 players signed (which includes MaxPac and Subban).  We now need to sign Price as well as a forward or two (based on a 22 or 23 man roster).  Should be easily done.

17. The Capitalist Pig says:

Who would have ever thought that St. Albans, Vermont would become the center of free speech?

18. derfab says:

I saw his first game up and thought he looked not only ready but fundamentally better than Weber. He’s still only 22.

character is derfab destiny.

19. Psycho29 says:

Some additional stats the HI/O “braintrust” left out:

Only 30% of us can flare our nostrils.

21% of us don’t make our bed daily. 5% of us never do.

Men do 29% of laundry each week. Only 7% of women trust their husbands to do it correctly.

40% of women have hurled footwear at a man.

85% of men don’t use the slit in their underwear.

67.5% of men wear tightie whities

The average bra size today is 36C whereas 10 years ago it was a 34B.

85% of women wear the wrong bra size.

91% of us lie regularly.

13% (mostly men) have spent a night in jail.

29% of us are virgins when we marry.

20. derfab says:

I recognize Lapierre’s contribution, but I can’t say I really like him much. His style of play should include the guts to drop ‘em.  Without that, or a change in his game,  he will always be an underachiever. Moreover, someone may, understandably, decide to take his head off at an opportune time. Maybe that’s what the guy below meant by confusion.

character is derfab destiny.

21. Les-Habitants says:

Amazing, love the community that this site has become.

Back to hockey:  Mathieu Carle starts the season as our 7th D?  I’d like to see him get some NHL action and see what he can do.  He’s pretty solid two-way, if he can avoid another freak injury.  Weber would be the other logical choice, but I’m uncertain as to who is more ready for prime-time.

22. soperman says:

Same message, less subtle.

They traded Halak. Jaroslav Halak. YOU ARE KIDDING ME?

23. saskhabfan says:

Come on its not like the bruins could have had PK Subban. Oh wait,never mind they picked Tommy Cross instead. Are you (and the rest of your whinning posse) tired of making yourselves look like idiots yet?

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

24. soperman says:

You should read the data more carefully.  There are 82,300 unique viewers out there with 45% being women.  That would be 37,035 women out there.  There are 2.1 million views but no indication of the breakdown between male and female views.

So hey, how ya doin you 37,035 women?

They traded Halak. Jaroslav Halak. YOU ARE KIDDING ME?

25. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Good call, I forgot about White.  I really like Darche, but it just seems to make more sense to give one of the kids a chance to develop on the fourth line.  I was thinking about the Avtsin kid because he is 6’3, but if he is a goal scorer, it is better to let him develop in that role in the AHL or junior where he can play more minutes.

So we’re sorted then.  I’ll give PG a call and let him know we figured out the bottom six for him.  I’m sure that’ll be a load off his mind!!

Pyatt-Eller-Laps

Moen-Boyd-White

I can dig it.

26. andrewberkshire says:

1) Shadows don’t really exist in the NHL anymore

2) Max Lapierre is not a very good defensive hockey player

27. C_Hand says:

thats page views you dork

28. Sportfan says:

Dan Carcillo signed by philly 1 year not bad I honestly cant see him anywhere else he is what the Flyers stand for

29. Sportfan says:

You shoudlnt hate the Manoir its fun there and I was therefor both game 7s what a great atmosphere it was like we were actually in the bell center or something it was loads of fun and its easy for westislanders to get too

30. JasonM says:

To you 945000 women out there…. how you doin?

31. Sportfan says:

wow im in the 10% group I thought there was more of us. Haha oh well its fun i find out info here then tell everyone i know before its official haha

Thanks for that HARANI

33. doug says:

I’m 13%, 55%, and way less than 29%.

34. The Capitalist Pig says:

The Halak trade and the banning of Timo just threw him over the edge.

35. The Cat says:

THe role Maxime Lapierre would be best in is the role the habs havent given him yet: a shadow. Isolate the player on the other team that you want neutralized, and have Maxime shadow him.

36. KenD29 says:

Go Habs Go !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

37. andrewberkshire says:

How about Moen-Boyd-White as a 4th line? That would give Montreal the roughest line they’ve had in I don’t know how long.

38. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Good point. As you said, this guy can be a real asset to the team, and I imagine he will be next year. That line with Moore and Pyatt was absolutely integral to the playoff run. Hopefully Eller can fill Moore’s role and we can get that energy again.

39. KenD29 says:

Happy Birthday!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

40. TheDagger says:

Got to say… sure figured there would be a lot more of the HIO crowd to be under 18…

41. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I agree as well, but mostly with the Postal Service quote ;)

Do you know Cloud Cult?  If you like the Service, you might dig them as well.

If only the players played for the crest.  The whole Hossa thing left a bad taste in my mouth this year.  I mean, the guy wanted a Cup, and I can’t really fault him for that.   But there is something to be said for doing it the old fashioned way.  But if we start going down that road…then there’d only be 15 teams in the League, tickets would be affordable, the game wouldn’t stop for commercials etc, etc, etc

42. TorontoHabsFan says:

Know what’s the best part of this stellar post? That you didn’t follow the word “revert” with “back” :)

nicely done!

43. JD_ says:

Third- and fourth-liners get thrust into all sorts of roles, just ask Travis Moen.

The guys who thrive maintain their intensity whatever it is they’re asked to do. In the case of Max, his 2008-09 roles were all over the map, as well. The difference in 2009-10 was his intensity.

Either way, I agree this guy can be a real asset to the team and he’s be given the incentive to work himself into a decent contract.

44. andrewberkshire says:

I think for Lapierre it might still be about the crest more than the money, or he would have gone to arbitration.

I feel the same way as you Julie!

45. ed lopaz says:

agreed.

46. ed lopaz says:

well, for example, last season he was switched from center to the wing.

i think he skates much better as a center.

I think that is his more natural position.

47. Exit716 says:

Come on it’s not like the Habs could have had Milan Lucic.

Oh wait, never mind.

Outside of Halak and Subban, what ‘gem’ has Timmins found for the Habs with a late pick?

God that guy is garbage. Why does he still have a job?

48. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I think having a defined role will help him a lot too.  Last year they were asking him to be a checking centre, then a scoring winger, than a checking winger…etc, etc.  I think this season he’ll have a consistent role to play the entire season, and that will be far better for him.  I look forward to a return to his 08/09 form too.

49. Mike from Ktown says:

The role Max has on this team is/was always simple.  Defense first, skate your but off and use your size and pot a few goals if you can.  Max has shown he can do this, he has also shown he can take a good chunk of the season off.

I am really confused about how you think he is confused about his role.  They have never asked him to be a number one center, or a PP specialist.  So after that the roles are fairly limited.

I think management is finally starting to put out a good motto for this team.  Work hard night in and night out, all the passengers will be kicked to the curb.  I do not care if a guy has the skill of Kovalev, you do not give it your all every night we’ll see you later.

50. The Capitalist Pig says:

Just think how badly he skews those income stats?

51. JD_ says:

Laps has never struck me as confused. He delivered in 2008-09 and during the 2009-10 playoffs.

The only thing that changed in his game during the 2009-10 regular season was his intensity dropped off. Perhaps it was the offseason surgery. Don’t know. But I didn’t see undefined roles/objectives being the prevailing issue.

Having watched him being interviewed, he obviously knows what he needs to do to be effective and admits as much. Like Pleks, and unlike Guimauve, he takes responsibility for what happened.

This is all his and he knows it.

I like Laps. I think his mojo’ll resurge.

52. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Yep, I think Pyatt will continue to improve.  He has the confidence of the coach, which must be huge for a depth guy.  Plus he has proven before that his offensive game generally takes a few years to blossom when he moves up a level.  Now, the guy is never going to be a 30-goal scorer, but a speedy, disciplined checker who can chip in 15 or so in a few years.  I’ll take it!

I really like the idea of Moen-Boyd being together.  A fourth line with a bit of jam.  Throw Darche on the other side, or perhaps this Avtsin (sp?) kid if he has a good camp.

53. Rugger says:

Because we, the fans do not know what role the Habs want Max to play, does not mean that the Habs have not clearly defined his role to him.  the Habs are under no obligation to share that with us.

54. Rugger says:

“RFA on the Bubble” can’t think of a better way situation for the Habs.  They need to perform to get paid.

55. ed lopaz says:

I wanted to reply to some posts from this morning re: Max Lapierre;

because I think there is a bigger issue, and I would be interested in some feedback.

Here’s the quote I pulled from SF ’09

“but they’re not sure which is the real Lapierre yet”.

And here’s the quote from Tom –

“If his role is that he’s an agitator, and that’s what the team wants him to be, he might be a bit underpaid here.  But if his role is to be a physical bottom six checker, he’s priced accordingly with this contract.

What’s the connection between the 2?

We don’t know who Max Lapierre truly is, yet.

Now, if you’re running a business, and you hire someone, who’s responsibility is it to define the employee’s role?

Isn’t it your responsibility – the owner, or the manager, or in this case, the Habs / JM?

Max will be a good NHL player one day; effective and productive.

But, it is very likely NOT with the Habs – because he can’t “find himself” in this organisation, and the organisation is also letting him down.

Max is big, he’s fast, he’s agressive and he has good hands.

I believe that the player MUST GIVE THE EFFORT FIRST AND FOREMOST; but,

The organisation, it is equally true, MUST GIVE THE DIRECTION to its employees, to maximise the return.

Hate to say it, but I think the Habs are lacking this area.

Its part of the “professional development” discussions we’ve had.

56. Julie H says:

I wish it wasn’t about the money. I wish it was about their love for the game and their love for the crest on the front of their jersey they should be so proud to represent. That being said, I think Lats is the new Ryder. He went to a new team and did quite well. We’ll have to wait and see what the new season brings for him.

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

57. JD_ says:

* Sure he wants term; Laps loves being a Hab. But he has to prove he has consistent and sustainable mojo. This is no different than Guimauve heading into last season armed with a one-year contract. In his case, the effort was nil and he got moved. I’m willing to bet Laps gets it – this guy is most certainly not lickin’ his wounds – and will revert to the kind of hockey he displayed in 2008-09 and through last year’s playoffs.

* In the end, arguing management should have given Laps term cause he would have come cheap is not how successful high-comp businesses are built. I don’t want cheap guys in their mid-20s, I want value guys; value is a measure of both price and performance. Now Laps has a chance to prove he’s valuable or, more accurately, consistently valuable. Whatever the case, the boo-freakin’-hoo brigade, the one that casts every management decision that smacks of pragmatism as classless and disrespectful, will once again swing and miss on this one.

* Between the likes of AK46, Laps, Poolio, and MaxPac, the theme for the 2010-11 campaign appears to be “RFA On The Bubble”If I were a rich man, Daidle deedle daidle, Daidle daidle deedle daidle dum…

* Speaking of rich men, I hear Gary Bettman makes a tidy $100 bajillion pretax per annum. Good for him. If you also want to make a tidy $100 bajillion pretax per annum, take his job away from him. Nice work if you can get it. Not to mention you get to sit down twice a year with Ron MacLean and watch his elocution become increasingly bogged down as he desperately tries to corner you while your eyes dart around and your doublespeak accelerates. It’s just one heck of a wrist-grabbin’, passively-aggressive good time.

* George Steinbrenner has passed away. Condolences to the family. In other news, Calzone Corp. (NYSE:CLZ) is off 38% in midday trading.

* Carey Price any day now. I’m guessing 3 years at $2M per. If my math is correct, sets him up for a PleksPlay™; i.e., one- to five-year deal in the offseason prior to his UFA season, the term largely hingin’ on his performance over the previous three seasons. Why wouldn’t you want this guy’s career to work out? The only epic fails I Schadenfuture™ don’t wear a Habs jersey. In fact, they’re mostly effin’ Loafs or, as Chiarelli calls them, the Toronto PinchMeImDreaminHappySkipJumpSmilyWileys.

* Ah, the Manoir. Great atmosphere, cold beer and, with perhaps the exception of the prime rib and reasonably-priced burgers, really bad food. Don’t want to complain about food – we all live a privileged life on that front – but, in context, it’s just consistently bad, like the Loafs…if they were food. Whatever you do, avoid the pig’s knuckles at all costs. Not sure what they were thinking when they formulated their secret recipe but I suspect it involved the active use of a dumpster. Stick to the Krausman on Beaver Hall Hill over even the Dominion Pub (Square Tavern) on Metcalfe for yer knuckle fix. See ya on Thursday night.

58. homerbowen says:

I’m glad Laps signed without arbitration. He has the potential to be a significant contribtor this year, but this is his last chance. In addition, it will keep the RDS boys excited. Go Habs Go

59. andrewberkshire says:

He can be jealous all he wants, but last I checked Lapierre didn’t score 27 goals. But who should really be jealous, the guy who makes less money, or the guy who didn’t make the playoffs?

60. andrewberkshire says:

I agree that a consistent role would be very good for Lapierre. Not having that is a big part of why he struggled last season. I also expect Pyatt to contribute a bit more this year on the offensive side of things, as he’s shown he can do when given the chance. I think a line of Pyatt-Eller-Lapierre is very enticing, with Moen taking some shifts in place of Pyatt when muscle is needed.

61. ProHabs says:

I wonder if Laps is a little jelous of the nice contract that his buddy Lats got in Minny. Anyway, the Habs should sign Frolov to a 2 year 4-5 million dollar contract. I would feel more at ease with him on the top 2 lines than Pouliot.

62. nightmare_49 says:

dudes – You can talk all you want about the starting roster but basically the man behind the bench who cherishes his comb has the decision. He has shown us last year that his style of coaching hasn’t changed much from his days in Ottawa, so take it from there.

Most of the players mentioned can be sent down without clearing waivers (exception Darche) so juggling the roster could be used as an assessment.

63. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Agree completely.  If anything, you’d think Laps would’ve been happy with a short-term deal so that he has the chance to increase his value this season.  I guess he just wanted security and to stay with the Habs.  If Eller can step into the role Moore played in the playoffs, that third line with Pyatt will be a solid one, and it will do Laps a world of good to have a consistent role.

Yes, but how many of these people are Yeats? Take him out of the picture and those numbers skew.

65. nightmare_49 says:

a – IMO both sites are decent but i still remember last year when capgeek.com screwed up on a few salaries that had bonus issues. So far Geek seems accurate but i will still reserve my opinion till the dust settles.

66. The Cat says:

Thats a nice butt for 54 ^_^

67. Jonnyboy says:

Palushaj has played with Eller in Pretoria last season. Pacioretty was Palushaj college roomate.

I see a 3rd line.

68. andrewberkshire says:

Good contract for Lapierre, he gets a small raise for his effort during the playoffs and to show faith in his abilities, but contracts are ALWAYS awarded for regular season play. That’s why Joe Thornton makes 7 million a year. In the end Lapierre’s regular season was a big step back from him personally, so the Canadiens will give him a chance to earn a better contract next season.

69. mrstewart61 says:

As a dog, you would have to be in the red age category or you would be dead.

———————————————————————————————————————-

If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

70. JasonM says:

Can’t really blame them… they need an entire crew to keep up with what is going on with the Hawks this off-season. Talk about do or bust for last season.

71. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I’m glad that Carle is signed.  I was impressed by him in the couple of games I’ve seen him play with the big club.  He was very steady and had a couple of hard shots that he got through to the net.  Obviously not the second coming of Savard, but I think he’ll be an important depth defenceman.

Not surprised Laps didn’t get a long-term deal.  He still hasn’t shown consistency.  If he can play like he did in the playoffs for an entire year, he’ll get a two or three year deal I’m sure.  Hopefully playing on a line with Eller and Pyatt (I’m guessing that will be the third line) will offer him a measure of consistency.  Last year he was bouncing around on different lines, playing on the wing for the first time etc, etc.

How in the world did they collect the income stats??  (I don’t care, just curious)

72. Bob Barker says:

Third line of Eller – Engqvist and Palushaj/Avstin/Pyatt

Fourth line Moen – Boyd – Lapierre/White

73. 420cups says:

how do they know what we make tho? haha

74. Rob says:

proof that age isn’t really a good indicator of intelligence

75. GrimJim says:

the support group forms on the right, Chuck. I’ll meet you at the door…

23, 55 and 62 myself. Good thing those aren’t my measurements…

76. Mattyleg says:

Wow, pretty depressing seeing yourself move from the cool, highly-populated funky green slice over to the moderately-populated Mister-Rogers-Cardigan-Blue slice.

….*sigh*…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

77. andrewberkshire says:

35 is the new 25, or on HIO, the new 15.

78. Rugger says:

Much better than the Black slice I am in!

79. A. Berke says:

Wait till you hit the “yellow”!

Right Ian?   :-))

Ali B.

80. habsfansince91 says:

lol, you got me

81. Mike Boone says:

But enough about yourself.

82. Chuck says:

Also missing is a breakdown of the “Price” vs. “Halak” vs. “I Don’t Care” and the “Free Timo” vs. “Don’t Free Timo” crowds.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

83. andrewberkshire says:

You forgot the “who cares about Timo” crowd, as well as the “I’m Yeats in 1 of 4582 handles” crowd.

84. Psycho29 says:

Welcome back Tony242

85. habs4last says:

do we actually care about signing journeyman minor leaguers? please.

habs are a bottom dweller anyways.

can’t wait for this season to start and finish so we can get the #1 draft pick.

86. _Habsoloutly_ says:

nope,  #1 pick will be going to Toronto,  errr ahh,  I mean Boston.

87. nickster13 says:

lol… we?

88. Mike Boone says:

As refreshing as a cool summer breeze …

The best people on here are women that post with their brain, Some of the guys on here only know how to use their sticks.

90. jennifer1984 says:

haha this is very true!
    i was reading this site long before i ever actually signed up.

i just like people who can talk hockey and not spew “leafs are awesome, habs suck” without having any argument.
    im all for people liking other teams (very slim though) but seriously, throw me something good, not some BS

91. Julie H says:

Likewise. I’m female and 21. I’ve been reading this site since it first came into existence but only had the guts to join and actually post last night.

92. Danno says:

Any stats on who are the real Habs fans and who are imposters?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

93. Storm Man says:

We need some people from MIT with the stats on that.

94. Geoff Molson says:

I keep hearing about “Yeats.”  I’ve never seen him on here, but he’s one hell of a poet.

95. MikeMcLaren says:

4,583

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

96. Danno says:

Mr. Molson, you know about yeast. It’s what you use in your suds to make your dough.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

97. GrimJim says:

Without Googling, what does the B stand for and where did he grow up?

98. Mattyleg says:

Butler.

Sligo.

I know my Irish Poets.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

99. Pierre Gauthier says:

Wings tonight?… on you??

100. The Capitalist Pig says:

How is your one-man quest to become perfectly spherical going?

101. The Capitalist Pig says:

Ooooo counting, I am impressed!

102. The Teacher says:

I’m not. Pretty sad indeed.

103. The Capitalist Pig says:

Three oily discharges in one day. It’s time to grab the Pepto Bismol!

104. Exit716 says:

I thought you were a vegetarian?

105. The Capitalist Pig says:

“Free” trumps type of food!

Attention whore!!!

107. andrewberkshire says:

It’s a tough life, lots of effort. Can’t be nearly as draining as having hour long internet conversations with yourself under different handles though.

108. The Teacher says:

lol, just can’t be as much fun!

109. Tis Himself says:

Typical Adrianno. Never actually has an original post, just spends his time replying to others.

110. ooder says:

represent dark blue!

woohoo!!!!!

——————

88 is the new 23

111. Mattyleg says:

…so you’re a man. Me too!! Wooo!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

112. nightmare_49 says:

UFA updates : by Pierre LeBrun

Plenty of unrestricted free agents not named Ilya Kovalchuk are still out there. I took some time to check in with the agents for a number of them Tuesday:

113. SlovakHab says:

4 players that I wouldn’t mind: 1. Belanger 2. Morrison, 3. Madden, 4. Asham

I think this team needs to add a bottom-6 PK guy. I don’t wanna see the likes of Gomez and Plekanec spending so much energy on these duties.

114. ooder says:

dark blue in both circles…

ya whattap

——————

88 is the new 23

115. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh

—Hope Springs Eternal—

116. pic1983 says:

Are you kidding me? Not one, but TWO top two picks going to an already talented boston team (the last thing we need is for boston to have two young, nhl ready, cap friendly players)?!

I find it crazy how I will actually have to cheer for the leafs somewhat this year in the hopes that they finish out of the playoffs, but middle of the pack so that boston doesnt get a good pick.

117. DavidKB says:

I’d like to see a regional breakdown pie graph.

118. habs4last says:

wrong. tat guy is an idiot. I’m just a realist.

119. notbigbird says:

We can guess but don’t know what will happen to Price, but I would be okay with a one year contract as I am for Laps. Our young guys have not yet proven themselves exactly to be young guns, so now they get their chance. It kinda worked out with Pleks last year, so I don’t see the need for excessive hand-wringing. If we on this board know that there will be capsapce next year, I’m pretty sure the players understand that too and are willing to accept it.

120. Mark C says:

You are right Aaron Johnson would make a nice fit. Once you get past the top 7 with the big club there is very little NHL experiance.

121. habs001 says:

based on the injuries in the regular season and the playoff run i think management decided to give basically the same cast a chance to prove that they are much better than the regular season showed(we really struggled in many games..even the ones we won) . we will have a lot more cap room next year and if price,pouliot,ak46,laps and other players show they can step up we will be in great shape but if they dont we l will have the capability to change the team around because of the cap room..

122. TripleX says:

Reminder: Thursday’s habsinsideout.com gathering at Le Manoir is firmly restricted to those 18 and older

Wow, not cool HIO.  xP

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

123. JIMVINNY says:

Too bad, so sad.

124. Storm Man says:

I dont understand why it matters to him. As he claims he lives in Calgary, Guess he is adding to his pile of BS on here.

125. TripleX says:

You guys need to get a sense of humor.  Notice the “xP”?  That signifies it is all in fun.

126. ari says:

this 45% has to register themselves some where(if they are available),so some guys can get lucky and not have to fight for remote and so many other things!!! too bad i am married already!!!!!!!!!!!

127. JIMVINNY says:

That’s why I responded as I did.  If I thought you were genuinely upset about it, I wouldn’t have said anything.  Just because we disagree doesn’t mean I try to pick fights with you.

128. JIMVINNY says:

“claims”?  yeah, because there’s obviously a reason to lie about something like that.

But next time, stay the f*ck out of a conversation if you have nothing to contribute.  Since I “claim” I live in Calgary, I can’t attend either, so I feel his pain.

129. TripleX says:

Sorry dude, I just automatically lumped you in with the Storm Man comment.

My apologies.

130. Storm Man says:

James if I want your 2 cents I will ask for it.

131. JIMVINNY says:

All good.  I knew what you were trying to say.

132. JIMVINNY says:

Ditto!  So keep YOUR two cents to yourself as well.

133. Bugs says:

All this pie in the sky stuff reminds me of a joke:

Guy walks into a bar he’s never been in before. Got columns all over the bar so that every patron has his own spot. Guy says to himself “Well, this is nice” and orders a whiskey. Bartender obliges.

Just as buddy’s about to take a sip, a monkey scampers down the column nearest him and dips his dingle into his drink. Guy says to himself “What the HELL is this?” and calls the bartender over. “Hey, buddy!” he says “your monkey done gone put his thing in my drink!”

Bartender looks confused and aswers “Uhh, my what did what now?”

“Your MONKEY just dipped his WING-WANG in my DRINK!”

“Ain’t no monkey here, sir.”

“The hell you say!”

Anyways, not wanting to make a fuss, the bartender exhanges buddy’s drink and moves on. Just as our friend’s about to take another sip…monkey comes back down and does the same thing.

Guy completely loses it. Smashes the glass on the floor. “What kinda ZOO y’all runnin here that a friggin PRIMATE can dip his SHLONG in people’s drinks without a care in the world?!”

“Sir, there ain’t no monkey here, I tell ya.”

“Oh, so what, I’m hallucinatin, is that it? Huh? Seein monkeys appear outta the MIST, is this what’s happening to me?! I know a MONKEY when I see one, especially if he plops his python in my DRINK!”

Bartender can now tell buddy’s serious, or at the very least, believes himself to be serious. “Ok, look” he says “I’ve only been working here a week; never seen no monkey, but maybe you can go talk to the guys in the orchestra, they own the place, maybe they can help you out with this. In the meantime, here’s another drink.”

“Alright!” Buddy says, quickly grabbin the drink “I’ma gonna go do that now; give those guys a piece of my mind!”

So he heads over to the orchestra guys who, it should be noted, havin been poundin back a few of their own over the course of the evening, and says to them “Hey, y’all the owners?”

“That, we is.” says the maestro, slurrin his words.

“Do you know anything about a friggin MONKEY comes down the columns up in here to dip his GOOGA into people’s Jim Beams?”

The stunned orchestra guy confers with his colleagues a second, then says to buddy “Well, if you sing us a bit of it, maybe we can play it for you.”

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

134. Storm Man says:

What is your need for Caps??? Does it make you tough?

Sounds like you need a drink go out and enjoy Stampede.

135. ABHabsfan says:

Good one , Bugs. Thanks for the laugh.

136. ABHabsfan says:

Good one , Bugs. Thanks for the laugh.

137. ABHabsfan says:

The late 80’s are a bit hazy for me, but i am pretty sure I got into Le Manoir when I was 15.

138. slapshot777 says:

I see where Shawn Belle signed a one year two way contract with the Edmonton Oilers.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

139. RiverviewCanadien says:

So, how were these stats collected? Has this been answered yet (yes I am lazy and don’t want to search)?

140. JIMVINNY says:

I think it has something to do with EMPHASIS.

On your other point, if we hadn’t gotten 15 cm of rain today, I probably would have.

141. joeybarrie says:

Nice to see I am one of the richest guys on here……

How do they get these numbers? Probably a scary story…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

142. Bill J says:

I believe you asked for his 2 cents when you replied to him.

Just saying ;)

143. Mark C says:

Good for him. Looking at their roster he might find himself playing some in the bigs next year.

144. Storm Man says:

I like to Emphasise things in person not behind a computer, But if you like to make a Emphasis on a computer by all means have at it. The Roadhouse is rocking tonight maybe you should drop by say 10pm.

145. sidhu says:

Too bad, I thought he played well for us — but good for him, he’ll have a better shot at making the jump in Edmonton.

146. sidhu says:

What does Hamilton’s D look like for next year?

I think these are locks:
    Mathieu Carle
    Yannick Weber
    Brendon Nash
    Frederic St. Denis
    Kyle Klubertanz

Not sure who among these, if any, are on or will make the team:
    Andre Benoit (think he’s only signed until 09-10)
    Chad Anderson (same)
    Alex Henry (same)

147. andrewberkshire says:

I agree, Mark. I’m a little sad to see him go because I liked the guy, but hopefully this allows him to finally break through and establish himself.

148. avatar_58 says:

You know it’s a little annoying that solid defensive-defenceman are overlooked all the time. It seems unless you are a puckmover who scores 15-20 you aren’t breaking the NHL lineup. Personally I feel you need both and Belle always seemed pretty damn solid in Hamilton.

149. Mark C says:

What you have is correct, wouldn’t be a shocker to see one or two of Benoit, Henry, or Anderson signed. My choices out of that group would be Benoit and Henry, or a few minor league UFA’s.

150. JIMVINNY says:

Are you seriously calling me out using the internet?  And you accuse me of acting tough?  come on.

151. Mark C says:

I hear ya, he was a great depth, 8-10 guy in the system type player for Montreal. I’ve heard he helped Subban this past season with becoming a pro…great, now I’m gonna get called a racist.

152. sidhu says:

I hope we re-sign Henry — he was the captain, he’s big, strong, fights, comes to the defense of his teammates. I think the Habs/Bulldogs are extending courtesy to Henry and the other two (just like they did to Belle), to find a better opportunity for themselves if they can.

I’d also take a look at Aaron Johnson, sign him to a two-way deal (though he’s probably looking for a one-way deal). He played in the Q, has decent NHL experience – kind of like how Henry and Mathieu Biron made it to Hamilton.

153. Dave Stubbs says:

With reasonably new ownership of the brasserie, the authorities are, shall we say, a little less reluctant to turn a blind eye to underage patrons. And I might be wrong, but I don’t think there’s a huge crowd of under-18s who would have been prepared to join us.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

154. andrewberkshire says:

I’ve heard the same thing, so you’re totally not racist. I believe they were roommates in Hamilton on the road.

155. sidhu says:

I agree fully — with the possibility of injuries (we have an aging Spacek, Hammer; and an injured Marky), there may be real opportunities for someone in the A to step up.  Weber and Carle likely will get the first looks, but if their development is not proceeding as planned (or if they are injured themselves, as Carle has been), we’ll need some depth.  I’d be inclined to give Johnson a shot.  A two-way deal hopefully would work for him and us.

156. andrewberkshire says:

Doubt Aaron Johnson would sign a two way deal. And eventually you’ve got to give the kids a shot to make the big club right?

157. sidhu says:

Yep — but he’s not apparently getting that shot from another club (at least not yet).  If he fails to earn a one-way deal, we should put a two-year deal out there for him to consider.

158. ari says:

yes ,the gender graph is not true or i should say not right.

159. ari says:

or the hio opens up with face book!

160. ths says:

No way these stats are accurate. Just a plug for more advertising revenue.

How do they determine them ? Can only be by location based access and demographics of area.

I think Bonner and Hickey help the skew the female count by handing their iPhones to their lapdancers at Chez Paree

161. Clay4bc says:

I don’t recall talling anyone my income, either…how do that claim to know this? I remember saying the same thing last time, but got no answer then. Was anyone here polled?

_________________________

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead decisions.” Red Fisher regarding the Halak trade.

162. Chorske says:

“The Roadhouse”?!

My hillbillydar just pinged.

This whole conversation reminds me of the Simpsons’ episode:

REDNECK 1: Wanna fight?

REDNECK 2: Them’s fightin’ words!

163. ProHabs says:

It was either Stubbs or Boone that called my house personally the other night. It was a little weird but they insisted I tell them how much money I make. I just made up an annual salary so I think I might have screwed up all of their data. Plus I told them I was a female which isn’t true so I think the female count is a little high.

A face only a mom could love:

164. ProHabs says:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

165. Clay4bc says:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

__________________________

166. Clay4bc says:

Also curious is the “under 18″ stat…

To register for the site, you must check a box beside the following…

“I affirm that I am of the age of majority (In Quebec, 18 and older). “

…I think my point is clear…

__________________________

167. andrewberkshire says:

They likely get the statistics the same way every other advertiser does, they buy information from credit card companies or companies like shoppers drug mart/pharmaprix which uses that information that you give when getting an optimum card. In fact in the last 5 years credit card companies have made nearly as much money selling information about their cardholders to advertisers than they have off interest payments.

168. andrewberkshire says:

Worth a shot if he signs for very cheap, provided Price does as well, but personally I’d rather see Carle or Weber make the jump.

169. Chuck says:

That doesn’t mean that someone under 18 couldn’t click on that box should they so desire… or simply view and post on HI/O while using daddy’s profile.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

170. andrewberkshire says:

???? Cynical? That’s just how it works, and how information is shared in the business world. How do you think telemarketers get numbers, or how they choose who to call?

171. andrewberkshire says:

It’s a betrayal of privacy, but no, it doesn’t go a lot further.

172. Max_a_million says:

It’s not illegal to sell this information unless it is explicity part of a signed agreement that it will not be shared.  It is indeed how they target advertising, disagreeing does not make it not so.

”Last season we couldn’t win at home and we were losing on the road. My failure was that I couldn’t think of any place else to play.” – Harry Neale

173. Clay4bc says:

Of course not, Chuck…

What it does mean, however, is that the under 18 stat should not be there. And if people are lying about being over 18 to join, how does the site claim to know how old anyone is?

__________________________

174. Clay4bc says:

but the laws are designed to protect the interests of the ruling class (those with money) over those who don’t have the same access to resources. And when I say “money”, I don’t mean the paltry sums talked about in this HIO chart…There is really not much resembling “justice” in the justice system…that’s why they can do it with impunity, and we can’t.

We are nothing but modern day serfs…

__________________________

175. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Shawn Belle could have been a great asset for PK. IMHO they would have been partners on D next season. Belle will add some muscle to Oilers lineup. WTF.

176. Clay4bc says:

Not illegal? Think again…

Class action Against Sears for Alleged Selling of Customer Information

__________________________

177. nightmare_49 says:

Choosing your free agent adventure can lead to unexpected results

By Justin Bourne, Special to USA TODAY

178. Radio Free Timo 2 says:

For speaking the truth the bosses at HIO tried to shut down Radio Free Timo. Not to fear faithful listeners, Radio Free Timo 2 has found a new hide-out from which to broadcast the word. The Glorieuxgois will never supress the Prohabariat forever!!!

The truth? You can’t handle the truth!

179. HabFanSince72 says:

Belanger and Morrison each had a single assist in the playoffs against us.

Madden had all of 2 points in 22 games in the playoffs.

180. Favorite Son says:

Pyatt, Lapierre, Moen…Boyd? I never understood why Lapierre was taken off the PK last season.

181. SlovakHab says:

Against us. Doesn’t mean they wouldn’t produce for us..

Y’know. Perhaps Dominic Moore would have been kept scoreless if he were a Capital or a Penguin last spring.. Or Maxim Lapierre.

Both of them had a good playoffs for us.

182. shootdapuck says:

Maybe just maybe it was marginally related to performance.

Yappy Lappy’s plus/minus last season was far from stellar only slightly better than Mara for team low!

Also a tendency to take bad penalty’s may influence the decision.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

183. 21272andme says:

recently learned fact (myself):

lars eller and aaron palushaj — now members of les boys — were both selected in the ’07 draft using toronto’s picks (that they sent to san jose for toskala and bell, and then were flipped to st louis).

184. Aaron13 says:

I’ll take wisdom over youth. I would never want to be a starving student again.

The yellow butter always comes to the top Ali. It is the only section that really knows!

186. Ron says:

Yellow is comforting and you can plan your week without scheduling around that thing called work.

You got it Ron!

188. LA Loyalist says:

brilliant pix – thank you.

189. mike g says:

Wow…

Just got back from the water slides, and I see on ESPN that George “The Boss” died. As a Yankees fan living in MTL, it sill hurts. What that man did for the franchise is incredible.

I know it was surely discussed, but I had to post something on this topic.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

190. The Capitalist Pig says:

People forget just how sad the Yankees were when Steinbrenner purchased the team for $8.7 million from CBS in 1973. The joke at the time was that Yankee Stadium was the house built by Ruth, but it was being torn down by Horace Clarke.

191. Storm Man says:

A very sad day for all Yankee fans around the world. I can’t wait to see them play in 4 weeks :)

192. Aaron13 says:

I’m thinking of building a coffin, just in case.

193. Aaron13 says:

Everytime I watch or play hockey, I feel 14 again. Still have an old #10 sweater. There’s nothing more painful than getting hit in the nuts with a frozen tennis ball. Glory days.

194. andrewberkshire says:

Frozen tennis ball in the nuts, that brings back memories… Playing goal with almost no padding in the street. Being a kid in Canada rocks, plain and simple.

195. adam76 says:

I can;t believe 45% are female.

Adam, Its the females that instill the passion on this site.

-More Fan Summit Information

197. Eliisa says:

Such a wise man, Ian. I am curious as to how all this information is compiled. There might just be a little 1984 style.

I wish we could attend the summit, I’ll be up two months later to watch the Habs take on the Bruins and Pens instead! Sounds like a great time though.

198. Curtoph says:

What a beautiful group of people!

199. namgel says:

Female Hab fans are soooo HOT !

200. Chorske says:

Seriously. We saw a game in Chicago last year- Hawks vs Flyers, who knew THAT would be a Cup preview- and let me tell you, it was like visiting the Land of the Dumpling People. The prettiest girls were on the ice, wearing snowflake tiaras, shoveling snow during tv breaks. Don’t get me wrong- I love Chicago, and I’d totally move there, but the Midwest Girls didn’t Knock Me Out.

Montreal women in general try, and generally succeed, Gawd bless ‘em.

201. Chorske says:

Nothing on there about mental age. Or IQ… ;)

Obviously this is a testament to the wide appeal of this site. Congratulations!

I’m 40, so I am apparently not in the advertisers’ sweet spot. I think I am someplace darker, and smellier.

202. habsfansince91 says:

if there was a chart on IQ it would be 99.99% for an IQ below 10.

203. MICP says:

If they can come up with the financial breakdowns of us they certainly know that the women prefer Boone.  HIO is playing hardball and is afraid that Boone will ask for more money &/or a contract extension.   Do not let them fool you.

Conservative estimate  80?  Is that their average age?

204. jennifer1984 says:

well if you’re like me (female, and 26!) you read more than you post.

i dont very often post but i read this site at least 7 times a day! and i get sad when there’s no new news. offseason kills me here

I’m in the 9% group,  the rest of my age group has passed on to “The Hockey In The Sky” !