“The guiltiest weren’t our inexperienced guys”

Price-Diazcrash

An uncharacteristically blunt Jacques Martin assessed the work of his ravaged defence corps by refusing to blame newbies Raphael Diaz and Alexei Emelin.

Martin said the Canadiens started well but were done in by three consecutive first-period penalties, during which Calgary scored twice.

“Then they got a third goal and that killed our momentum,” Martin added.

Tomas Plekanec pinpointed lack of support in the Canadiens’ end, where, he said, “we made too many soft plays.”

Jacques Martin audio

Hal Gill Video:

Tomas Plekanec video:

Max Pacioretty video:

Mathieu Darche video:

1. eeffvv says:

Good news: this website ((http://itshrunk.com/cd9649) ) we has been updated and add products

and many things they abandoned their increases are welcome to visit our website. Accept cash

or credit card payments, free transport. You can try oh, will make you satisfied.

2. Danno says:

When you think of the words motivation, momentum and spark – seriously – does the name Jacques Martin spring to mind?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

3. CharlieHodgeFan says:

So it was a flat game. PK Subban played in a very immature style – he’ll grow up. Price was ’2 years ago’ for a stretch of the first. He came back. The forwards were flat. They’ll get the snow tires on. Growing pains, and game 3 of a long season we may all forget (or not). The team’s interesting, the Timo’s depressing and we move on. The best habs team I ever watched lost more games in its season than this one has….

4. Habs_4_ever says:

The game was just as bad/boring as the opening ceremonies. That was so bellow the standards we have been accustomed to. If this is the new Geoff Molson era Canadiens, we are in big trouble. The most worrisome thing I saw last night was a half empty Bell Center before the closing whistle.

————————
    “That’s the save of the year and it’s not even the year yet!”

5. I’m not sure why I come here after a loss, but man it’s always funny reading the replies.

The same people over and over need to relax. No hockey is going to win 82 games in a season. (psst hey buddy listen to this) Teams have stinkers, they then see where they went wrong, and improve on it. Come out strong the next game then say to themselves, ok we’re back on track. Then maybe come out the next game a little too relaxed.

Some may even say. OK we’re done 3 defensmen, and one top forward. The next few weeks will be slow going.

But most of all, you can’t blame the coach, if the players on the ice take VERY stupid penalties and the Canadiens can’t afford to bench anyone due to man power.

Lastly. We’re all fans, and they’re in the show. If you’re opinion is so great, you wouldn’t be on here posting day in day out. Would you or would you be in the organization?

Hey lets turn that frown upside down. If you’ve got an issue, here’s a tissue.

Did I mention I get up every morning at 4am. lol, and you think the Canadiens have it rough :)

OK. Things to do today.

15. Send out invites to arenas to set up show booths
    16. Call True North about upcoming High School tourny
    17. Sharpen Matthew skates
    18. Read HIO’s afternoon rants
    19. Make chili for supper
    20. Make afternoon snack for kids

Oh wow, it never stops, but man I have a great life and I will never let this hockey team get me down.

Go Habs Go

Shane Oliver
    CEO
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

6. OneTimer says:

The Timos of the world are kings here at HI/O for the next 48h. The team sucks! The management sucks! I could do a better job! A blind monkey could do a better job! Let’s tank the season! Let’s disband the team! Let’s erase every memory of this once glorious organization, the current bunch of worthless bags of skin is not worthy of the name Canadiens! Et cetera, et cetera.

Yawn, get some new material, it was old two seasons ago. And watch all these chumps disappear again on Saturday night, post-game.

• G-Man says:

Game 3 is done and with 79 to go the season is already lost. Good! Stop typing it over and over here, trying to prove some point that really doesn’t matter. Being a fan does not mean you can’t criticize, but how about keeping it to yourself for a couple weeks? HIO is stuck with a lot of negativity. I hope you all dry up and blow away when the team wins. And the Habs will win this season.

• OneTimer says:

hm, sarcasm isn’t the most effective over the internet, but I was making fun of those trolls, those “fans” who seem to live for these losses only to gloat about how bad “their” team is on HI/O. I can live with criticism as long as it’s relatively fresh and relatively insightful.

7. steeveedee says:

OKOKOKOK i know it’s early but this is what I thought of tonight

– Worst game in a habs jersey for gionta
    – Pacioretty is gonna rock’n roll this year and he doesn’t care who he has to do it with.
    – I have been the BIGGEST eller fan since day 1, I had his jersey as soon as they were made, he comes from a hockey family (his father coached the danish national team) his hands are starting to come around, and hes packed on weight, can’t wait to see him move up the depth chart RAPIDLY
    - The one thing I was happy about in the offseason was that I would never have to see Moen in the top six again…..so much for that
    - Emelin is a very solid shut down dman , once he really gets a grasp of the rink size the hits will start coming, but he was not bad at all tonight

- Diaz- needs to hit the gym NOW
    - Cole- I don’t know why but I just don’t like his face lol, he seems completely lost on the ice, awful defensively tonight , but I also think a big part of cole’s performances since hes been here are due to the fact that JM has not identified Cole’s role on the team, The guy musta have been shot into the twilight zone when he learned he was going to start the season on the 3rd line, I mean , even he knows how much we need him on our top 6 and must not understand all the movement JM is making happen in front of him, let’s give it time oh and wasn’t he supposed to be a hitter???? I guess guys like him only hit when there’s someone to back them up if need be (COMPLETELY NORMAL) he had it in Rallye,
    -Markov- Ive posted this before but I have familly in sports medicine in California, I explained the situation down to the letter and my uncle’s reaction was that if the ” water in the knee” rumour was true markov is 4 to 6 months away from returning,

- We need to establish a top 9 and allow them to gel, even if we lose a game or 2, some kind of chemistry….something! The only REAL fear I had in the offseason was Muller leaving ( the fact we shipped away our 3 best pk guys halpern, pyatt, hamrlik and didnt replace them was also a fear, yes i know i know plecks and gorges, so what?) he served as a young, well liked intermediary between Martin and the players now the bench if full of geezers.

- Le’ts hope Saturday is a W

larsy darcy !

8. Michael says:

Most of you are hilariously insane.

9. HabFanSince72 says:

This will be a lost year. Gauthier really messed up in the off-season, and has come up with a poor team. I said this before the first period of pre-season.

Gomez is washed up. He will not get better.

Gionta is the worst player to wear the Habs C in the post-war era (I can’t really compare him to Babe Siebert 1936-39).

Erik Cole? What was the Goat thinking? An aging journeyman who lived off Eric Staal.

Our D is, on paper, the 3rd or 4th worst in the league. And that’s with Subban playing heroically. We have exactly one d-man capable of playing the point on the powerplay.

You hated last night? Wait till Budaj gets a start.

JM is out of gas and out of ideas.

10. SmartDog says:

When the Habs skated out tonight I kept thinking “man they look too relaxed”. It’s like they were trying REALLY hard to hold in their energy, not get too psyched up. Why TF not? Why not get hyped, let it show. Worst was Gionta, who looked kind of weak like he could barely lift his stick. This is YOUR team Brian? This is YOUR city? Give me an f-n break. Show that you give a crap. And don’t sit smiling on the bench when you’re down 3 goals. Go out and play like you NEED to win. Not like you’re at a summer picnic with your pals.

I’m sick of hearing how good the veteran presence is on this team. It wasn’t good enough to shape up some good young player we lost, it’s not good enough to make Gomez responsible to his paycheck let alone his position, and it ain’t good enough to get ITSELF up for the season home opener.

Stink, stank, stunk! That should be the headline for tonight. And above it should be a picture of Gionta, Gomez, and Cole.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

11. Propwash says:

Flames, you’re welcome for that glimmer of hope!

12. LA Loyalist says:

My kid (8) took a power skating class today. Halfway through, he went up to the coach and said “Dude, (we’re in California) where’s the pucks?”

Coach says: “Dude, this is a skating class.”

My kid is pissed. After I said to him:

“You like scoring, right.”

“Yah…”

“Then you need to get to the puck first, right? Or get a jump on a guy, right?”

“Yah.”

“So you need to be able to skate fast, right?”

“Ahhhhh….” The light goes on. No more complaints, we’re taking the class again next week.

So when is the light going to go on with our supposedly fast team? Get to the puck. Go to the net. Win the battles for the puck. Speed can rule in this league. Only our guys aren’t allowed off the leash.

Martin is a 2nd rate CFL defensive coach, preaching the “prevent” defense. Yeah. It “prevents” winning.

That’s what I said all summer. I didn’t want to be right.

• Timo says:

I could never understand why people thought things would be different this year? They made no improvement. So they got a washed up Cole… big whoop. Same coach, same Gomez, same munchkins, same lack of toughness. Carey wasn’t spectacular tonight and it showed on the score board. Next game Price will play lights out and they will manage a win by a measly goal. 8th place finish, first round exit… rinse and repeat next year.

• OneTimer says:

After a particularly bad loss, all the HI/O trolls emerge from their lairs triumphant. Beaming even. Congratulations!!

13. Propwash says:

Dooooooooooooooooooooooomed!™

14. Bill H says:

Living in Toronto sometimes has its advantages. The game was not televised here.

The worst thing about tonight was the fact that team came out to just skate and kill the clock. Nobody was pushing particularly hard, nobody was angry… the team has no pride or character. And it all starts upstairs.

• LA Loyalist says:

… and how is this any different than last year? Where is “the great leap forward”?

A fish rots from the head. I was worried about this all summer. The lack of passion, which is what it comes down to in the end. Bunch of clock-punchers.

16. gK_HabsFan says:

Alright, so I was at the game, and here are a few thoughts:

1) Wow they sucked! The place was emptying, and it emptied FAST!

2) Yes we got 30 plus shots on net, but most of them were “One and Dones”. Absolutely no sustained pressure in the offensive zone!

3) Most of the goals we gave up were due to defensive cramps, and the Flames capitalized.

4) Gomez and Gionta aren’t generating anything! NOTHING! A lot of our veterans weren’t all that great tonight, but they showed very little IMO. I expect more out of Gionta, and Gomez… well…

5) Subban was struggling out there! He tried to do too much with the puck in the defensive and offensive zone.

6) Can we please stop the PP experiment with Pleks on the point. I prefer him down low, where he excels, as opposed to manning the point. He has no chemistry with Subban, and he doesn’t look comfortable there.

7) Cole has to play better.

8 ) Emelin is impressive. Didn’t notice him out there all that much during the first two periods, which is kind of a good thing when you’re a defensive defenseman. But during the 3rd I saw him hitting more, and being more engaged in the game.

9) Out of all the forwards, Eller was definitely our best! He was winning puck battles, getting a few opportunities and playing well defensively. He began the game on the 4th line, moved up to the 3rd line, and finished on the 1st. I want to see him playing a more prominent role if Gomez and Gionta continue to play poorly.

10) I wouldn’t say the Flames outplayed us. They just had their chances and capitalized on them. After the 2nd goal we just couldn’t gain any momentum and generate anything offensively

17. RJB says:

Even the regulars have gone off the deep end tonight. I know we lost the home opener, let’s get a grip though. Martin is not the reason they lost tonight. We can hardly blame him for the absolutely unfathomable injuries to our d-corps can we? Ya it wasn’t pretty, but the suggestion that these guys aren’t motivated? To say Brian Gionta isn’t a good leader? He made a couple mistakes tonight, all hockey players do, even the good ones. Point being is that to try and dissect everything wrong with the Habs in 3 games? Not going to work. I’ll tell you what isn’t wrong with the Habs though: coaching, they remain a fantastically well coached team. Good coaches lose, good coaches lose badly some nights.
    I’m not saying Martin is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but come on now! Who else could wring every single particle of talent that these guys have better than Jacques has? He recognizes his teams strengths and weaknesses and he does his best with what he has. Which right now frankly, isn’t much thanks to our injuries. The guy isn’t an idiot, I would go out on a limb and say were lucky to have him as a coach.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

• t1tan5 says:

Quit being rational. The inmates are running the asylum tonight.

• pals1969 says:

Hey RJB STICK to CURLING, – J-Martin is the worst coach ever to coach the Habs, and PG is the absolute worst GM ever.
      This team will not fare well against teams that have grit, we have no balls, this will repeat over and over. There were 3 guys on RDS I would prefer coaching over this clown, Captain Bob what have you done to us.

18. The Dude says:

Thanx a lot Hab Fans….now there’s nutting left too bitch about!

19. alexalbinos says:

3-5-2 looks about right for where we’ll be at after 10 games…

It would be very nice if the media would ask the correct questions about how unprepared to compete at the NHL level this team is!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

21. Marc10 says:

I cannot figure this team out. Why is it so ill-prepared to play its home opener? They never get up for the perennial Toronto Opener where they make that glorified AHL lineup look legit… Now they let a ‘team in transition’ like Calgary own them on home ice. Unacceptable.

You’re only as good as you practice. It makes me wonder what happened in pre-season that prevented this team from getting it together.

Thankfully Eller is back. That is good news. I know that kid is going to skate his arse off on every shift and fight for his ice time. The problem is many players don’t seem at all worried about their position/ice time with the team.

I hope JM bag skates the guys until they puke tomorrow. Time to dish out some pain. We’ve got a world-class goalie back there but we’re hanging him out to dry. Disgraceful.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

22. PeterStastny26 says:

I think Moen should be a fixture on the top-2 lines.
    Same for Plekanec at the point on the PP.
    And those young offensive players, they should be used in a checking role only.

- Albert Einstein

Scotty and Toe would put this soft, half ass, unprofessional, undisciplined and unprepared group of floaters into a pro squad in a damn hurry.

In 60 years, I have never seen such a mess a week into the season. We have better depth & talent than we have had in Montreal in many years, so I look right into the eyes of the coaching staff, where I see a very pitiful sight.

I would fire the whole works of them. Since Doug Jarvis left, no one knows how to take a draw. Our leadership is non existent, our so called captain and leader takes two stupid penalties. Since Kirk Muller’s gone, we have no power play. We can not finish our checks, make or take a pass. We give up the puck very easily and do not compete for it worth a damn. No one body checked anyone until they got into the shower.

It will take weeks to get this team NHL ready and Martin is not the guy for the job. How long will Geoff Molson put up with this type of product on the ice. The club is robbing ticket holders, pretending to put a first class entertainment product on the ice. What a terrible mess out there! Shame!

• Timo says:

Ian, I think it is safe to say that Molson doesn’t give a crap. From what I read tonight the sellout was not announced. Hope the trend continues. $$$ is the only thing that will get this owner’s attention. Until then, mediocrity will be the long standing identity of this team.

• Aybara says:

Game was sold out: http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2011020040

Other facts section at the bottom of the page.

• Habspark says:

I don’t know much about the owners around the league, but I do think that the Canadiens and the Jets are two of the most fortunate professional teams in sports.

It is no secret, that if any of us had $550 million and just wanted to make more, buying a sports team would be about one of the worst investments. Guys who buy teams generally fall into two categories (a) they have just made a pile of money and want to add to their egos/empires by having their own team for a bit of fun and all the better if they can make a buck or two out of it, or (b) because they care about the team and the city.

Uncle George was an (a), the Molsons are a (b). From the little I know, the Molson family have been a driving force for the betterment of Montreal and it’s economy for over 200 years, and they didn’t drop sticks and run to Toronto when things got rough, that tells you something about them. The 90′s weren’t good years, and they were forced to sell the Habs, but they kept a share, and despite the grossly inflated price, they managed to buy back the Habs at the first available opportunity.

Yes, it’s a business, and yes they have to make money – so we have a team to cheer in Montreal – but if it was just about the money, believe me, they would would have it invested elsewhere with far less public responsibility. In my opinion, it seems pretty clear they are not here to make money from this team, they are here because they are as passionate about the Habs as any of us, and they want cups as much as any of us, and unless they fall on hard times or get pushed out they are keeping this team in Montreal, for Montreal.

As I understand it – and I may be wrong – the only influence they have on the ice as such is the hiring of the GM. So maybe we’d have Boucher/Muller behind the bench, and maybe we’d have Moore in the face-off circle, and maybe Gomez would have been miraculously traded for the second coming of Kevin Stevens, and maybe we’d have signed the guy who turns out to be the best off-season acquisition; but then we’d probably still have Halak in goal too.

Price, to me, is the one person who gives this team (or any team he is on) potential to win a cup over any other person, irrespective of who is behind the bench, and with whatever else is going on, I am for one am grateful for that.

• LA Loyalist says:

Nice line about the shower, Ian. That was lovely.

• LA Loyalist says:

We had Joe Juneau for a while who was all-world on face offs. I suggested we bring him in for a clinic or to coach our centers (he works in Northern Quebec with kids). The NFL have specialist coaches for everything. We need to freaking move into the 21st Century on this stuff.

• Matt. says:

If the respected Mr. Cobb is disgusted, well, i have to concur…

The Flames got destroyed in their first two games then came into town and smoked the Habs….

What’s Gomezs’ goal less streak at now?

• pals1969 says:

24. avatar_58 says:

Momentum for what, 5 minutes?

Killed momentum? Martin is a freaking idiot. These losers never had a momentum. The only momentum they had is running off the ice after the final siren.

That’s right. The guiltiest was the fat dude with big ears behind the bench and a carrot stick upstairs.

The team will be what it was last year and 17 years before that – mediocre. Good on Gomer doing all the training in the summer. Looks like it’s all about to pay off.

• ProHabs says:

Gomez talked a good game after the playoffs last year. But the Gomez of this year is exactly the same Gomez of last year. He has the same amount of points for the Habs this year as you do Timo, except he has had a ton of ice time.

• chinahab says:

How many stupid penalties did JM take? Maybe you should first blame Gionta and Gill instead of JM.

• Timo says:

I don’t blame JM for taking stupid penalties. I just blame him for being stupid. And not even him. At this point, it’s all on Molson. The team is run by former Senators losers. It’s all on Molson now… he has to make a call and so far his call is “sell more jerseys and hotdogs”

• LA Loyalist says:

Maybe he sprained his wrist signing checks. :-) which is why he can’t shoot.

I got slashed on my left thumb a month ago and I can’t even turn the key in the car with it or hold a coffee. Maybe Gomez has some great injury like that we don’t know about that’s lasted… what, 2 years???

27. habaholic68NJ says:

As an out-of-town Habs fan, coming all the way here for the home opener, what a disappointment. Team did not compete, couldn’t make a clean pass and in spite of the 30+ shoots, only a couple were legitimate scoring chances. The defense was a joke, not to mention the PK and PP. The whole team stunk, especially Cole. And as predicted, JM doing his juggling thing.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

28. sreuel says:

Does the habs management ever read these posts by the fans or listen to the radio talk shows they may learn something

29. PureGuava says:

I’d rather see Eller and Palushaj play 20 minutes a game than Gomer and Gionta. It’s time to send out a first PP unit that has a chance at a goal.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

30. durocher says:

JM is right on — Gio, Gomer, Gill, Cole were all horrible (though Gill may have an excuse)

31. sonnycorrleone says:

frustrating night all the way around….opening night at home and they stunk the joint out….yes its still early, and yes the injuries are piling up….but at some point, as professional athletes….dig deep and put forth some effort….a big hit, net pressure, win some puck battles….something……..how long before cole starts hearing the boos?

beat the bruins

• ProHabs says:

A big hit??? With this group???? Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin don’t believe in having guys that can throw any type of hit. The NHL is a non-contact sport to those 2.

32. ooder says:

same issues as 3 years ago..
    get shutout.. score 5 goals.. muster up no offence.. score 5 goals..
    its just annoying to see the same trends pop up..
    although it was nice to see some physicality from the habs
    imagine if ak46 had the a game like Subban…
    the guy would be scratched for the next month.
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

33. Neutral says:

The schedule doesn’t look good for the Habs starting saturday againts colorado does a four game skid sound bad.

34. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Probably be much quicker to list the innocent rather than guilty…

Peter Budaj

35. RGM says:

Not good when two of the first three games of the season are utterly forgettable stinkers. It’s only October, but they followed managed to perform worse in this game than they did against the Leafs.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

36. kempie says:

Where do ya start? I’m going back to bed because I know that had to be a bad dream.

37. Curtis O Habs says:

Forcing neutral zone turnovers is momentum?

38. deuce6 says:

What momentum?

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

39. punkster says:

Diving?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

40. Ghosts of the Forum says:

And he’s clearly getting a reputation for those dives, and justifiably so. Not good. Uncle Hal better sit him down.

41. Kooch7800 says:

the jarome iginla play where he tried to sell a hold and flopped on the ice

42. Kooch7800 says:

yeah it isn’t good to have that rep. you then get smoked and there will be no call

43. You mean the play where Iginla grabbed his arm and pulled him backwards slowly and obviously? That wasn’t a dive.

44. Stooof says:

This pretty much sums it up. Martin’s style of coaching stifles a team in so many unseen ways. For instance, going into the 2nd down 3-1. Instead of showing confidence in his team that they can turn it around, he shuffles the lines. Essentially saying he has no confidence in the people he has playing with eachother. Actually, rewind to the start of the game. Moen begins on the first line. Says to Andre, ‘I have no confidence in you playing with the first line, even though we have a injured Cammellari’, but then he messes with him midway through second period by putting him up there. To me it says JM is unprepared and can’t stick to his own gameplan. He panics, essentially making the players panic. Its like a freaking side show. Get that old fart out of there.