The Cup is ours!

Palushajmarch21
You’ll want to remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news:
The Canadiens have signed Aaron Palushaj to a one-year contract.
In other Habs news, P.K. Subban – who is unsigned – went on Twitter to say he bought his brother Malcolm, a Boston draft choice, $170 Guess jeans.

The team announcement:

Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced today the signing of forward Aaron Palushaj to a one-year, two-way contract (2012-13). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Palushaj, 22, completed his third season in professional hockey in 2011-12, his second in the Canadiens organization. In 38 games, the right winger tallied five points (1 goal, 4 assists). He recorded 37 shots on goal, and served 8 penalty minutes, while averaging 7:33 seconds of ice time per game. Palushaj scored his first NHL goal on March 17 against the New York Islanders.

Palushaj finished third on the Hamilton Bulldogs scoring list in 2011-12 with 35 points (15 goals, 20 assists) in 35 games. He scored seven powerplay goals, collected 115 shots on goal and served 35 penalty minutes.

The Livonia, Michigan native Palushaj was acquired from the St. Louis Blues in return for forward Matt D’Agostini on March 3, 2010.

1. nickster13 says:

Oh come on, I think the headline is funny! Also, we really do only have one photo of Palushaj ever don’t we…

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

2. chinahab says:

I don’t like the jokey-sarcastic headline. It seems mean-spirited to the player to point out that he’s a role player. That’s not his fault. And no one said it was big news except the media, which doesn’t have anything else to run so makes a big deal out of this minor signing.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Don’t worry. I think they’re planning to run with “The Pulitzer is Ours!” to announce Boone’s retirement.

(Please don’t ban me. It’s only a joke.)

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

3. HabFanSince72 says:

Calgary has just about the friendliest people in Canada. No doubt about that.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

But the license plates in Manitoba say Friendly Manitoba? Wouldn’t that make MB the friendliest?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Was “Nice Personality” taken?

To be honest, I went to the Peg when I was 12 and I really don’t remember. I’m sure they’re friendly too.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Too bad you weren’t old enough to have a pint at the Viscount! We prairie people are proud of our friendliness. Cheers HF!

• boing007 says:

Neil Young with Buffalo Springfield. One of my favorite groups.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

There was this tiny little cafe on Main St. in Wpg called the Bluenote Cafe, was known for the afterhours drinks served in coffee mugs and the unannounced performances by Neil Young there.

• Marc10 says:

Really?!

That must be right up until you drive up with Quebec license plates. See what happens to your car if you stay a couple of weeks…

4. frontenac1 says:

Spent 4days in Calgary on business a few years back.Had a great time,what I can remember of it .(It was a sales conference) Everyone was so friendly it was like they were your long lost friend.They should be proud of their city.But pour moi mes amis,c”est Montreal.Nothing like it in North America. Salut!

5. durocher says:

My Habs roster for the 2012-2013 season:

– trade Pleks, Eller, and a 2nd round pick to FLA for Huberdeau, Skille, and a 4th round pick
    – trade Bourque, Nokia, and Diaz, to VAN for Booth, Weise, and Sauve
    – trade Weber to NJ for whatever
    – buy-out, dump in the AHL Gomez and Kaberle
    – sign Arnott

Patches-DD-Cole
    Booth-Arnott-Gio
    Moen-Huberdeau-Prust
    Armstrong-White-Skille
    Weise

Gorges-Subbie
    Markov-Emelin
    Cube-Sauve
    St-Denis

6. Storm Man says:

I see a few on here are comparing Montreal vs Calgary in what city is better. I think I have a good fix on the matter at hand as I’ve lived in Montreal from birth till I was 24(Family is still in Montreal) and have lived in Calgary 12 years now with that said this is how I see things.
    1. taxes it’s not even close (Calgary)
    2. Anyone who thinks beef is beef has not has Alberta beef (Calgary)
    3. What city can you make more money in? (Calgary)
    4. beer who cares both citys make crap (tie) grey goose vodka much better.
    5.better weather summer goes to Montreal winter Calgary the snow factor gives Calgary the edge as Montreal get’s a ton.
    6. Hockey team…. this is not even close Habs
    7. women (tie) just look around the city’s right now your neck hurt’s.
    8. night life (Montreal)

Each city has it’s good points and bad but if you look for over all lifestyle I give Calgary the slight edge and it pains me to say that.

Or we could just say both cities are great ambassadors for their provinces and offer unique qualities the other can’t. Sorry but this whole talk of best city is crap to me. I am not ashamed to say I grew up in Winnipeg, and to me still my favourite city. Why? because the people are awesome. I haven’t seen any posters comment on the quality of great people to make a city better and that to me is what makes a city.

I now live in Burlington, ON. and to me is a smaller version of Wpg, because of the friendliness of the people, granted the weather is much better.

Canada is a great diverse country and I have been fortunate to have lived in 4 provinces for different lengths of time. Nothing beats where your from, because it represents who you are.

We have great uniqueness across this country and as a result have great cities across this country.

I will call it a tie, but of course we can’t have ties, so edge to Montreal because after all….. WE ARE HAB FANS!

7. Wintercount says:

Dog days fix.
    The task is to move a single line so that the false arithmetic statement becomes true.
    IV = III + III

Here’s a much more challenging equation to fix. Once again move a single line.
    III = III + III

8. thehabsfan29 says:

Was thinking about players who are available today and Cody fransons name came to mind

Big young and talented d-man who obviously does not want to stay in Toronto. He would be perfect playing with pk and I can’t see it costing us that much to trade for him.

We would have to find a team to take kaberle though..

Thoughts?

Franson has size I will give you that. But, he did not play well for Toronto down the stretch and was a healthy scratch for a fair amount of games. Aside from the size he offers, I am not sure what else he brings. When Toronto first acquired him from Nashville for a bag of pucks named Lebda I thought they had quite a steal. He may be adequate, but he is no top 4 pairing dman currently.

• thehabsfan29 says:

Good point

He is a upgrade over kaberle though and remember fransons only 24.
        And he put up solid numbers with the preds
        I think it’s worth a shot for the right price

9. Hobie Hansen says:

Ok the dog days of summer are here…

I noticed people comparing the city of Calgary to Montreal.

I spent to years in Calgary that included 2 winters (2008 & 2009), and let me tell you, it sucked. All that talk about Chinooks or whatever they call it was a pile of crap. It is winter in Calgary From October 15th to May 1st. It is absolutely miserable in those months. I would see the thermometer in my car hit -35c on a regular basis.

And the summer, forget about sitting on a patio after the sun goes down because it’s 5c or 10c if you’re lucky. And during the day, low twenties and like I said, the warmish weather lasts from June to September. 3 months.

If you like to drink and gamble, Calgary is amazing! There’s eight casinos in the downtown core. And people like to party at the casinos, not like Ontario. The downtown core is absolutely dead on a weekend night after dark though.

If you can put up with 3 months of summer and 9 months of winter, Calgary is absolutely breathtaking and beautiful.

• kempie says:

The one thing (and there were a lot) that bothered me the most about being there was the summer. It was between 8 and 16 degrees all summer except for a handfull of days around 20 – 24. Depressing.

• DCos says:

Umm, I’m gonna have to disagree with you on a couple of points Hobbie. I’ve been in Calgary since ’96 and most winters are quite favorable compared to other areas of the country. Chinooks do blow through frequently, snow hardly lasts and it rarely gets below -35.

But I definitely do agree with you that the summers are definitely not very summery…too short and not hot enough.

• bleedhabs81 says:

My take – having grown up near Toronto (spit), visiting montreal in the winter and summer, and now living in Calgary for 3 years.

Summer sucks…. except the last week here has been gorgeous (the 30+ also encourages the stampeding girls to wear even less)…. having said that, it is not hot long enough to justify AC – so I have spent alll week listening to a tired wife complain about the heat and how it is so worth the $3000 dollars

Winter – is actually better than Ontario… except it is longer. too long. Spring is almost non existant but -30 is way better here than -10 there (the humidity chills to the bone).

Plus – Winter skiing in the mountains kicks anything you can find in Ontario or Quebec… suck it Mont Tremblant – you are not worthy of the name Mont!

Also, Less snow than Ottawa (why did I live there during the record snowfall year!!)

• LA Loyalist says:

I would throw in that Lake Louise and the drive north to the Columbia Ice Fields is arguably the most beautiful spot on earth (on clean roads with no pot holes).

Canoeing and camping up there, or white water rafting. OMG! Every Canadian should do it. I haven’t been to Jasper yet, but it’s on the list.

10. John Q Public says:

Ah the conundrum how to have hockey in the summer?

The vision : An ice rink suspended in the air (by a Tesla device of course) over a nice Quebec lake. Cold air spilling over the boards, rolling on the waves to the fans situated all over the water and sand. The Habs are playing and kicking Boston ass.

How many licks to get to center of this idea, not many!

11. jols101 says:

CNN – “American Olympic Uniforms made in China”

Opppss, someone screwed the pooch…lol

12. habs-hampton says:

I’m gonna really miss Mike Boone. Mike, I hope you’ll find a way to still do in-game blogging and I especially enjoy “About Last Night”(especially when you’re still wound up!). There must be a way for you to do contract work for the Gazette.

If not, I hope you attend the Summit on an annual basis.

13. frontenac1 says:

42? Wow! Good for him! Go Teemu!

14. frontenac1 says:

Just wondering. Was the PM wearing that snappy cowboy outfit when he said that? If he was then that’s ok. If not,then” we got a problem Houston!”

15. frontenac1 says:

Yeah,always liked Teemu.How old is he now?

• secretdragonfly says:

Just turned 42 and still going strong!

• LA Loyalist says:

Teemu is 42, getting $4.5M, Saku is 37, getting $3.5, up from $3 last year. both on 1 year deals. I get to watch them live about 6 times a season and it is fun.

Ducks have made some good tweaks, and if Hiller is healthy (when Hiller is healthy, he is very, very good) and they play like they played in the 2nd half of last year, they will be right up there.

Even if they trade Bobby Ryan, he will bring a serious return (not likely from us :-( because we don’t have anyone they want whom we would part with (Markov, PK, Gorges).

Quack, Quack.

• joeybarrie says:

I dont see anything really different about them. Hiller struggled last season, and if he plays better they will imporve. But to me only slightly. I think they are worse off than we are on their top two lines. Especially if they trade Ryan. Their top line is great. But after that they fall fairly quickly.
        Their defence is lacking as well, and so far the addition of Souray and Staubitz isnt going to go very far.
        Souray is 35
        Lydman is 34
        Koivu is 37
        Selanne is 42
        Blake is 38
        They got Beauchemin as their top defenceman. And Cam Fowler as their number 2, and Fowler is a baby and a huge question mark, seems to be more of a liability. ( I mean baby as in his age )
        They lost Visnovsky, and I am not convinced Bryan Allen is their saviour.

• LA Loyalist says:

Hiller struggled because of his strange medical situation (which certainly could recur). There is no issue about his talent, he is really, really skilled and cool for a young goalie.

Yes Visnovski is a loss, and Fowler is really young, but super-talented. I’ve seen him quite a bit live and man he has skill.

If they lose Ryan they will get a strong return, don’t you think?

I would argue that Perry and Getzlaf will bounce back strongly. But you are right that their issues on D will tell the tale. They need(ed) a Rick Green/Craig Ludwig type to control play in their own end, not sure that Souray is that. But he should help their PP.

I will probably hit a couple of pre-season games, especially against the Kings, and will report on how they look.

16. shiram says:

If the Habs are still trying to solidify their forwards, how about Petr Sykora?

• joeybarrie says:

For his cap cost, if we can get it. 2-3 million. He might be a very good signing. 20-25 goals on a good season. Cause he was a steal for the Devils last season at 600k for 23 goals and 26 assists.
      Still a bottom pairing at best.

• habitunts1 says:

I totally agree Petr Sykora still has alot left in the tank. I would sign him in a heartbeat.

17. frontenac1 says:

Calgary? Jeesh!

• LA Loyalist says:

Ok.

1. Since they built the new highway that allows you to drive to the mountains from the airport without actually driving through Calgary, it is vastly improved, better than the Decarie. +1 Calgary
      2. Big Rock beer is far superior to Molsons. Sorry, it just is. +2 Calgary
      3. Alberta beef is great. But so is Joe Beef. A draw.
      4. They have a rodeo, Montreal doesn’t. +1 Calgary (ask CP about rodeo).
      5. They have women, but I would put Montreal girls at #1. +1 Montreal
      6. They get 1,000 meters of snow, as does Montreal. I call it a draw.
      7. Montreal has Schwartz’s. + 1 Montreal
      8. Both Flames and Habs are pretty sad. A draw
      9. Calgary is a 3 hour flight from L.A. Montreal is a 6 hour flight. + Calgary.
      10. Calgary has French Highway signs. So does Montreal. A draw.

I call it a draw, an edge to Montreal on the restaurant / club scene.

I forgot to mention Provincial taxes. Calgary hasn’t got any. Take that Montreal.

Calgary has an exciting farm team: The Hit Men, with great jerseys. Does anyone even know what the Hamilton jerseys look like?

• shiram says:

I think you can find a better beer in Mtl than Molson’s.
        Unibroue, Dieux, du Ciel, L’alchimiste…

bulldogs jersey : http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/uki1337/Hamilton.jpg

• secretdragonfly says:

I’m glad you didn’t include La Fin du Monde on that list! Blech….

• bwoar says:

Anything from Le Cheval Blanc = game, set & match.

But I do appreciate Big Rock’s Grasshopper immensely.

• Bripro says:

Montreal micro-breweries are a-plenty. +1 Mtl.
          Montreal’s woman aren’t rated highest in the country. They’re rated highest in the WORLD. +10 Mtl.
          We won’t speak environment or finances because one offsets the other.
          So it’s even there.
          I can’t rate Calgary at all, to be honest, because I’ve never been. +1 Calgary.

• secretdragonfly says:

Yep, big ugly bulldog

• GrimJim says:

FYI…
        1) no provincial sales tax but there is prov income tax in AB
        2) The Hitmen are a WHL team that is owned by the Flames. The Flames farm team is the Abbotsford Heat of the AHL.

• punkster says:

OK, I’ll play:
        1) Nobody would take the Decarie from the airport to the mountains (north)…it’s the 13 then cross over to the 15, both completely avoiding the city (Tie)
        2) Anything is better than Molsons but the majority of other beers in Quebec are just as good, and some better than, Big Rock (Tie)
        3) Beef is beef (Tie)
        4) A rodeo???…sorry, that drops Calgary from any consideration as a mecca of entertainment and though I have thoroughly enjoyed myself at every Stampede I’ve attended it ain’t no Jazz Festival (+1 Montreal)
        5) Women…no question (+1Montreal)
        6) Snow…great if it’s north or the townships, not so much when it’s here in the city (draw)
        7) Schwartz’s…not for long
        8) Flames versus Habs (draw, for now)
        9) Sorry but the further from L.A. the better (+1 Montreal)
        10) Signs (draw)

And finally…taxes…OK so this year Canada’s average Tax Freedom Day is June 6, Alberta’s the earliest at May 19 and Quebec falls somewhere around the 29th of December I believe.

Looking forward to New Year’s Eve this year.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• GrimJim says:

Wait…What? What’s up with Schwartz’s? You can’t take away Schwartz’s. That’s tied with “witty repartie” for the second reason to go to the Summit…WHAT’S UP WITH SCHWARTZ’S?

• ABHabsfan says:

All beef is not beef, punkster. Alberta beef is so good you can eat it raw.
          -Roads and overpasses in Calgary have very little chance of falling and crushing people so that has to be a + for Calgary
          – daily non-stops from Cal to Vegas and Palm Springs. Don’t like the weather when you get up? play golf in the pm

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• punkster says:

To each his own, AB…moved here 20 years ago and still love it.

So you have to dodge falling concrete while driving…enhances the experience ;)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• ABHabsfan says:

Oh and them hills north of Montreal are pretty and stuff, but they ain’t mountains!

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• ABHabsfan says:

I Love Montreal,Punkster. don’t get me wrong. I was just there last weekend with my wife for Jazz Fest. Clearly I am a Habs-Fan as well. But someone had to stand up for Cow-town on here!

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
            Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• HabFanSince72 says:

6) Snow … not for long

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• LA Loyalist says:

29th December? That was hilarious.

• Mike Boone says:

One word to settle this in my city’s favour: Harper.

Mike Boone
        Hockey Inside/Out blogger
        Gazette City columnist
        mboone@montrealgazette.com

• HabFanSince72 says:

1) How is a convenient way to bypass the city a plus for the city?
        2) I agree, and I’ve never even heard of Big Rock beer.
        3) Meat, as others have said, is meat.
        4) They have Rodeo. We have Formula One. I don’t see the point of either.
        5) Meat, as others have said, is meat.
        6) No snow these days.
        7) The Main is better.
        8) This why you’re a Ducks fan. The Habs aren’t sad. Even when we lose, we’re still the Montreal Canadiens and don’t you forget it.
        9) Irrelevant.
        10) More importantly, their highways aren’t abut to collapse.

Our symphony and strip clubs are better, their taxes are lower, and they are much friendlier.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• LA Loyalist says:

You’re right! Damn I forgot about the strip clubs! Montreal wins on that alone. And yes I forgot about the Montreal Symphony, but Ian Tyson probably balances that out. But then Mtl has Leonard Cohen.. actually, no. He lives in LA about 10 min from my house.

Habs weren’t sad last year?

In what parallel universe are you living? From barely showing up for many games to trying to charge Cammaleri for his jersey and trading the guy during a freaking game? Giving Koivu and Muller’s jersey # to Gomez?

The list goes on and on, and on…

That’s not sad? It was the saddest year since Houle/Tremblay. And Bob Gainey’s downfall? That’s on the order of Greek tragedy. I respect Bob Gainey, I take no pleasure in what happened.

The only good thing is we got a #3 draft pick and the architects of said debacle were all fired (with Gomez’s firing pending) mainly due to my personally flying to Paris and lighting many 5 Euro candles at Notre Dame. They don’t talk about that on TSN but it’s true.

Now you’ve got Montreal peeler bars into my head….

18. HabFanSince72 says:

Can’t believe we haven’t discussed this yet.

Our PM says Calgary is Canada’s Greatest City.

OK folks, have at it.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

19. commandant says:

Teemu Selanne signs to come back for one more year.

Gotta love the Finnish Flash

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

20. frontenac1 says:

Bripro.Understood. Just concerned about the highly corrosive aspect of combining sand and water.

21. Kappy says:

Hello fellow Hab Fanatics,

I am on this site everyday reading post… I usally don’t have time to post myself because I am “suppose to be working”.

Anyways, I am leaving for Halifax tomorrow and was looking for some advice on the restaurants and things to do from the locals there.

We are also visiting Annapolis & Lunenburg…

Thanks in advance

Kap

• Lix says:

Spend a night enjoying the “atmosphere” at the Lower Deck. If you’re lucky Signal Hill will be playing.

• Marcusman says:

The 5 fisherman…..Hamachi Steak house down by the water is great. The bicycle thief is the hot new resto….you’ll love Lunenburg…

• Hali_Hab says:

Hey Kappy,

There is a lot to do in Halifax in the summer. It all depends on what your looking for. As for Restaurants and music there are some pubs worth checking out. The old triangle comes to mind, decent food and a great atmosphere. If you stick to the waterfront this time of year it would be your best bet for good eats and things to do. Chives on Barington street has a great menu but is more on the pricy side. For drinks there are no shortage of watering holes. The split crow for a pint is also suggested. The best thing about Halifax is that it is small enough that pretty much everything is in walking distance.( which comes in handy for a night of drinking.) Also check out Argyle street for some places to eat/drink. The shoe shop and maxwells Plumb come to mind.

As for Lunenburg. There are a lot of great places tucked in along the way to Lunenburg. I live 15 minutes from Lunenburg and spend a lot of time in and around the place. If you take exit 10 off of the 103 you will end up in Mahone bay and there is a place there called the Mug & Anchor. Nice deck to have a lunch and a pint and watch the boats sail bye. If you take exit 8 or 9 off of the 103 you will end up in my neck of the woods and a stop in to Chester and you will find a place called the Fo’c’sle. Nice and small lots of local jams go on from time to time as the place has a wall of house instruments you can just pick up and play. You could also swing in to Chester Basin and stop at a small place on the water called the sea side shanty. I would totally recommend a pint of Propeller extra special bitter and an order of the fishcakes and homemade beans and chow.. haha. Right in Lunenburg there is a place called the Knot which is pretty nice.

If you make it to Bridgewater you should definitely check out the LaHave Bakery, soooo sooo good.

You picked a great time to come. The weather here has been terrific.

• Bripro says:

What beautiful country.
      If you’re travelling by car and have the time, just take a drive through the Annapolis valley.
      If you’re a vegetarian, the Wooden Monkey has an entire assortment.
      Seafood and steak? Murphy’s on the water or Five Fisherman..
      Enjoy!

• Hali_Hab says:

Just out of curiosity sake how many people on here are from the HRM or close?

We should totally be repin the 902 HIO contingent.

• Habs54 says:

Middle Sackville

• Hali_Hab says:

We should organize a BBQ or something.. Get all the members in the area together once a year. Just throwing it out there.

• Bripro says:

I’m from the South Shore of Montreal, but I travel the North East from Belleville east to the Maritimes and down to PA.
          My absolute favourite places to travel (aside from maybe the 1000 Islands) are all in the Maritimes.
          PEI, the entire area you’ve described (and thanks for the eatery suggestions, btw. I didn’t know them all), Cape Breton and NFLD.
          And the best time to travel it, for me, is in the fall.
          The colours are extraordinary. God’s country.
          If you live there, you’re lucky.

• Hali_Hab says:

Yeah Cape Breton is great. I grew up there before i moved up to Halifax. I Stayed in the city 10 years. Up to last year when my fiance and i bought a place down in Lunenburg county. It was the closest thing we could get that reminded us of home. As we are both from CB. I was actually just down there last weekend as i go to Margaree to fish as much as i can. The Margaree Valley is where our hearts are and we are getting married there at the end of the summer. We are pretty stoked to have all our good friends together in that place. I have spent a lot of time in NFLD as well as a lot of my good friends are from there. You hit the nail right on the head when you said god country. There is no shortage of it out this way.

• Hali_Hab says:

P.S. My sister lives in Montreal and we spend a lot of time there. Its such a great city.

• Bripro says:

You might be able to refresh my memory.
            I don’t know how familiar you are with N.B., but west of Saint John, in a harbour, is a house/restaurant. I can’t for the life of me tell you exactly where and in what community.
            I know, it’s a really pathetic description, but I can’t remember where.
            But I swear, they served up the very best lobster/salad plate combination I’ve ever eaten. That plate had 5-6 different types of salads, and wow was the food unbelievable.
            40-45 minutes west by north west, off of hwy 2…. I know, I’m not giving you much….

• Hali_Hab says:

I am sorry my friend but i cant help you out with the location of your Mystery Lobster local. I wish i could but i have no clue. I would like to know my self. You cant underestimate the value of a well prepared Lobster.

• Habs54 says:

The Fisherman’s Museum of the Atlantic in Lunenburg. As the other person said, spend time in Mahone Bay, see “the three churches”. If gardens are yoiur thing see the historic Gardens in Annapolis, a shot down to Port Royal and maybe see Fort Anne if history is your thing. If you like older homes you are going to the right places. There is an Amusement Park near Annapolis that is fun. Upper Clements is no Six Flags but a nice park and fun for the whole family. I can’t agree with the Propeller Ber, tastes like liquid cigarette butts to me.

• neumann103 says:

Don’t forget to sample the local Screech!

“Et le but!”

22. Mr. Biter says:

Unfortunatly many newspapers are downsizing or going broke and my take on it (take it or leave it) is politicial. Regular readers can (and no doubt will) tell me the politicial leanings of the Gazette (I’m guessing left leaning from articles I’ve read in the on line version). Even on this site we have hard right and hard left posters.
    What Newspapers have to understand that approx 45/45 people are right leaning or left leaning and the balance will (10%) will swing either way. If the Paper goes way over to one side the opposite politicial view will quit reading and or quit advertising in said paper causing it’s demise.
    Prehaps in Montreal it’s a shrinking Anglo population and less ad revenue, but good luck Mr. Boone I’ve loved your articles this site and your game track.
    Hasta La Vista.
    p/s when doing business I will take anyone’s money be they right or left wing cause I don’t discuss politics with my business clients.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

Question to the NFL fans on this site. Have to wonder if the Saints team is not on the verge of a complete implosion. Brees and the team are far apart from a deal, Vilma is trying to sue the League Commisioner, the Coach is suspended for a year and his relationship at home seems in dire straights while TMZ publishes pictures of him dancing with young woman down south.

Having visited New Orleans just prior to the Hurricane I fell in love with the city and moreso the people and the food. The place was awesome. The team immediately became my 2nd favourite team and was thrilled to watch their success. Seems to me though that the entire franchise is now bleeding bad and wonder if they may revert back to the Saints of Archie Manning days.

Hope I am wrong but we shall see.

• Mr. Biter says:

Brees and the Saints are less than 1 Mil.$ (per year) apart and in the NFL thats chump change. I used to actuallylike the Saints but after watching the Saints go after Farve in the NFL Championship game a couple of years ago I was wondering to myself it sure looks like they were trying to take him out (late hits, rolling into his knees etc). Who knew at the time that’s exactually what they were doing.So now whatever happens to them I have no pity. They deserve everything they get.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

I could of sworn I just read they were 10 million apart? I stand corrected.

• Mr. Biter says:

I was listening to ESPN radio last night and heard it there. I think it’s a 10 year contract but here I’m guessing.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Willy says:

Not quite. They are 10 Mil apart in guaranteed money. The Saints are offering 5 years at 19.5 mil per and Brees wants 5 years at 20.5 mil per. The 1 mil per year is obviously easy to bridge but 10 mil in guaranteed money is not quite so easy. I would imagine that they get the deal done by Monday(the deadline) because if not Brees is gone after this season(can’t franchise him again) and i really doubt N.O. can handle that. All that being said i think the Saints are in rough this season even if Brees does sign as everyone else in the NFC south got that much better.

Can’t you tell i love NFL football, pretty much neck and neck with hockey :P

• Mr. Biter says:

Thanks Willy,
            Knew they were only 1$M apart per season and so HIB was also correct in his answer about the $10M guarantee which I did not know about. Everybody goes home happy. Rare on this site.
            I’m for the Packers winning the Super Bowl. Who’s your pick?

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• habsfan0 says:

When the Superdome became unavailable because of damages sustained to it by Hurricane Katrina and the Saints were looking for a new temporary home, I thought it would be interesting if they might have considered playing at Olympic Stadium in Montreal. The city was still smarting from the recent departure of the Expos, and I’m more than sure Montrealers would have readily adopted the Saints as their own team. After all, the Saints have the fleur de lys logo on their helmets as it is.

There is no way they could have gotten passports for all the players to come to Canada for every game. I have heard numerous CFL GM’s on the radio say that one of the biggest obstacles in bringing up U.S. players is getting them a passport. Amazing how many of these players have never left their country.

• habsfan0 says:

Gerry,I find it hard to believe that,NFL players,the vast majority of whom are millionaires,don’t have passports. And for the few that don’t,how long would it have taken to get a US passport particularly if the matter was expedited? Also, this took place in 2005,which I believe was prior to the requirement that a passport be utilized in order to travel between the two countries.

24. frontenac1 says:

Stephen. I hear ya man! They got a brand new state of the art facility a few years ago and …..same results. Sigh……..

25. habsfan0 says:

Actually, the Gazette made Boone an offer which was so insulting, that he had this response for them:

26. frontenac1 says:

Stephen.Good selections and they are still there and busy

27. frontenac1 says:

Bripro. No problemo Amigo. And thanks for the link on the Vijajay stuff. Still searching for info on how to keep the sand out however.Hola!

28. jedimyrmidon says:

Check out this article: Bernier expects to be traded by Kings.

Who would be interested? Other than the Leafs of course. What could LA expect for him? More than what the Habs got for Halak?

Toronto would be more than happy I would think to offer Kadri and some kind of pick I would think. Burke has to get a goalie he can sell to the public as an upgrade from last year.

If he goes into camp with Reimer and Scrivens, the fans will be frustrated.

• Huge difference between Halak and Bernier.

Halak appeared that he could handle being 1A.

Bernier has yet to show that he is a #1 goalie. Every single game I watched him play he looked out of place. He could be another Marc Denis, or Trevor Kidd. Great in the IIHF and that’s about it.

I have Bernier on my fantasy keeper league, I hope to god he goes somewhere soon, I can’t keep him forever. Been a few years now, his time is running out.

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Bripro says:

I can’t open your link, for whatever reason.
      But I found this Bleacher report. My apologies if it’s the same article.
      Tampa Bay would make the most sense to me.
      He’s a young francophone goalie who would adapt very easily in Tampa.
      With Lecavalier, St Louis, Stampkos all in the mix, I’m certain it wouldn’t take him long to feel right at home.
      Besides, Roloson has already booked his room at the Veterans’ Geriatric Retirement Home.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I messed up the html tag format, lol. Anyhow, the link leads to an NHL article, which I imagine has a bit more weight than Bleacher Report, heheh. And it references comments Bernier made to TVA.

29. frontenac1 says:

Shootadapuck/re Frontenacs. After so many years of heartbreak in the wilderness,I have become immune to Hope.Actually quite liberating.Killer did score some nice picks in the draft but alas my highlights of this coming season will be watching Habs latest recruits when they come to town with the Sting and Spitfires.(If they are still with their junior clubs)

• stephen says:

Hi frontenac,

I grew up going to Raiders/Frontenacs games at the old Memorial barn. It was exciting to go as a youngster with my pops, but I certainly can’t remember too many years that we were considered contenders. It’s a shame, really, as the city itself is a great place for hockey.

30. Bun E. Laroque says:

Palushaj has the potential to be a decent offensive player. A fourth liner he is not. Still a young player, he is friends with Pacioretti, and with some appropriate coaching he could be alright. Excuse me for trying to be a little positive.

Kudos to Boone, you will be missed…

In hindsight it does seem like there wasn’t a great deal of coaching going on with the likes of Palushaj, Weber, Leblanc and others last year. It seemed to be more a battle of job survival amongst coaches and mgmt.

Having listened to Armstrong, Gilmour and some others talk of how they enjoyed playing for Therrien and the fact that this entire new coaching team has much to prove, i am hopeful that the development of players will be monitored much closer this season.

I think the fact nobody (or at least not me) has any preconceived notions of this team challenging for the Cup or a division title should keep the team focused on developing, learning and working hard.

Really, really hope we have a full hockey season upcoming.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

The Habs have been lacking a sense of direction for their young players for a while now and I’m hoping the people Bergevin has put in place will address this problem.

31. Adidess says:

Haha. In defense of Boone…

I can see why people don’t like the tone, but I think Boone is making fun of himself too there, having to write a new entry for Paloosh contract, and with not even the financial details to add … The only PK news he can relay is that twitter message to his brother, that sort of thing.

In acknowledging how unimportant this piece of news is, he probably used too much sarcasm.

If you’ve been reading this blog for some time, you know Boone thinks he’s funny and that can be a dangerous thing -)

Seriously, a blog does allow the author more freedom than other journalistic medium to bring personality, edge, and flavor to his writing. Not saying that’s what Boone did there, but it may have been his intention -)

And he also keeps the masses fed, gives them a new thread, and they get to comment expressing their outrage at his lack of respect for a honest though not very good player. And others like me get to say no, he’s just being sarcastic…

32. frontenac1 says:

Bripro, you came to the right guy for watering hole info in Kingston. If you take the Division St exit and follow it into town,turn left on Princess st.at the end of the block you will see Fanatics Sports Lounge.It is owned by the owner of the Kingston Frontenacs.You might on occation see Killer and some of his players in there.Nice spot with good selection on Tap and Excellent food,and loads of TV”s If you are looking for something a little different”than just down the block is The Royal Tap Room.Over 200yrs old and favourite watering hole of Sir John A Macdonald. It is a little “spartan”but oozing with character and characters.If you continue down Princess to the Lake and turn right you find a whole bunch of Pubs,Bars,Clubs etc. If you are in a real hurry off the 401,then there are the usual Chain culprets lik Boston Pizza. Give me a heads up next time you’re passing through,I’d be happy to buy you cocktail! Hola!

• Bripro says:

Thanks frontenac. It’s noted. Division street is my usual stop, and so is Boston Pizza, because I’m always in a hurry!

• stephen says:

Hi Bripro,

Thought I would chime in with my own suggestions for imbibing in Kingston, as I grew up there and did some post-grad work/play there as well.

Further down (closer to the water) off Princess is Wellington street where you’ll find the Iron Duke pub. Was always a good vibe there and they also have tv’s for when there’s a game on.

If you’re down by the water, find Clarence street and head into the Kingston Brewing Company (or the ‘Brew Pub’) for some good eats and a tasty selection of craft beers. I can taste their lamb burger now…

Cheers!

• bleedhabs81 says:

Don’t forget the Tir Nan Og. A lovely Irish Pub right beside the lake (across from the info building). Great selection of GOOD beer.

• Bripro says:

Thanks to everybody. I’ll have to make a list!

Irish pub!… for a Guinness drinker. Perfect!

33. The Dude says:

Thank-you Mike Boone for your efforts and I will miss you and your open-minded and fun Hab news articles. And do me a favor…on your last post please lie and report the Canadiens have just acquired Rick Nash for Gomez, after all what can anyone do about it,lol.

@Bri, LMAO, well done good man. Just had time now to read your Bellyfull production. Perhaps at the summit this year you and John can collaberate on something together. In the meantime I will sit at the table with the two of you and consume beer while you creative minds think. :) CHeers!

35. secretdragonfly says:

Selanne has signed a one-year deal in Anaheim – not unexpected.

• Bripro says:

Nineteen year career. Wow! One of the last franchise players.
      We had one. He’s now Selanne’s line mate.

Back in the day in the Peg, I ran into Selanne at a bank machine after a Jets game across the street from Polo Park. He had played well scored a couple goals, it was the dead of winter and after I withdrew my money while still counting it, I walked right into Teemu. I practically knocked him over and I gave a polite sorry until I realized it was the Finnish Flash. Apolgized, thanked him for giving the city of Wpg some great hockey to watch and was stupid enough to ask if it was cold enough for him. He laughed and told me, he felt like he was at home in Finland. He was a perfect gentleman. I didn’t even bother to ask for an autograph and just told him I woudl be watching him the next game. He said it’ll be fun and that he loved Winnipeg.

He is truly a special athlete.

• shiram says:

Cool story Burly, thank you for sharing!

• Bripro says:

I’ve told you the story of bringing my Mat to the Habs closed-door practice when he was 8 or 9, and Koivu sat him on the bench and they talked for 20 minutes?
          Him too….a true gentleman.

• neumann103 says:

Bri

I recall that. It was a great story. It just makes me sick to think that the Habs let him walk away because… well I won’t get into that, it will just piss me off.

“Et le but!”

36. TorontoHabsFan says:

Before people start worrying about Subban remaining unsigned – don’t forget that for RFAs without arbitration rights the only real leverage they have is time. It’s not a sign that things are going poorly or that they won’t sign with the team – they’re just trying to maximize their one advantage (and there’s nothing wrong with that..that’s how negotiations work)

Both Price and Doughty signed VERY late…I wouldn’t characterize either as unhappy with their organizations.

37. jon514 says:

I heard a rumor Gomez is is gonna take over live blogging duties on HIO. He’s pretty quick with the typing and with a joke. Not to mention he’s got plenty of time on his hands in the press box.

“This Team is Less than the sum of it’s parts while Gomez is one of those parts.”

• jon514 says:

Sorry if this is in bad taste. I too will miss you Mr. Boone.

38. blu3chip says:

Can you please add a ‘view desktop version’ option for the mobile site…..?
    The mobile site is just too primitive and butchered to use…
    My iPhone, and many other smartphones, can handle the desktop site just fine.

39. frontenac1 says:

Bripro.What’s a vijayjay and how do I keep the sand out?

• Bripro says:

Frontenac…
      Two things:
      1. It was Hard Habits who commented on the vijayjay. And here’s the link to its definition, thanks again to HH. But I appreciate you seeking me out for my (ahem) expertise in these matters.
      2. I noticed you mentioning earlier about inviting Boone to Kingston. Is that your domain and stomping ground?
      I’ve asked Ian in the past, but he’s not corruptible, so I’ll ask you…
      What’s the best watering hole in your area, for my stop-overs on my way to the GTA (laff country)?

40. HabFanSince72 says:

Roberto Luongo is in 266th place out of ~1000 left in the world series of poker main event.

He is in fairly good shape.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

41. Maksimir says:

NOOOO! Is this true? Where the source? Boone leaving?

If Boone goes I probably will too.. I only really came here for ‘live blogs’ and ‘about last night’. I’ll even have my laptop on to follow his comments while watching the game on TV. So sad…

• Adam says:

Even if Boone does take a buyout at The Gazette, he may very well still write for them and do all the HIO stuff he currently does as well. Only difference is, he’d be doing it on a freelance basis.
      Jack Todd took a buyout several years ago, but still does the MMQB column as a freelancer.

42. shiram says:

Somtimes I go on other hockey sites and I see stuff like this :
    Gomez + Galchenyuk
    for
    Komisarek + Kadri

I love this place even with all it’s faults, it’s still awesome :p

• Kooch7800 says:

I saw some Marlies vs dogs games last year and they had Kadri on the 3rd line in the AHL. Not a good sign for him

• Cal says:

Another stunningly stupid trade suggestion by a fanatical laff nation member. My eyes rolled up into my head and kept going on that one.
      Galchenyuk has a chance in a couple years to be the Habs #1 center and we’re going to trade him for laff droppings?

43. habstrinifan says:

I have not commented nor asked Boone via these pages re the pending changes in his professional relationship with HIO and the Gazete.

From the outset, Boone has been silent on these matters and I have taken that SILENCE to mean that he would rather not discuss it.

I only post now to assure you Mike Boone that MY silence is not apathy. I treasure very much your contribution to the site and your contribution to my daily excitement as a hockey fan of the Montreal Canadiens… through your blogs and “about last night” articles especially.

I will simply say THANK YOU for now and like Ian Cobb, hope that I meet you at the HIO Summit where I would be honoured to shake your hand and, with your permission, buy you a drink in appreciation.

Thank You!

44. H.Upmann says:

Whos gonna do the live blog now? Jack Todd?

45. commandant says:

Is there confirmation that Boone is indeed leaving?

Sad news if true.

I love the live blogs and about last night.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

46. Propwash says:

I was under the impression that The Gazette was downsizing quite a bit. Is that the reason why Boone is leaving?

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Cal says:

Yes. It looks like The Gazette is asking employees of a certain age to “retire.” It’s one of the bad things about the internet, but there are too many positives to complain too much. Instant reaction to plays is the biggest attraction to this site.

• habsfan0 says:

I think Boone was getting fed up with the constant breakdowns on this site.

MIKE BOONE !

I owe Mike Boone a ton of thanks for the help he has given me in navigating on the internet for the past 6 years or more. And for bringing all these new friends into my life.

He had better show up at the Summit this year, so I can thank him for all that he has done for me personally. Including keeping this site informative, fun and with the quality of his penmanship for myself to follow and learn how to write somewhat understandably.

You have done a fantastic job with this site Mike! and you have made many friends with your down to earth approach.
    Ian

For Summit Hab game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

48. JayK-47 says:

If Boone leaves, I’m going with.

49. habsfan0 says:

I detect a note of cynicism in Boone’s headline today.

50. Bripro says:

So it’s reported here that Boone is leaving the Gazette.
    Where are you off to Mike?
    Did you get into trouble for your supportive piece on TSN990, and particularly Mitch Melnick?
    I follow you closely. It’s unfortunate, and we will miss your reports and comments.
    At this point, with the closure of the Mirror and soon-to-be CKGM (TSN), and you leaving, we’ll have to rely on the unbiased perspectives of the HIO writers and GMs…..and Jack Todd! (God, say it isn’t so!)

51. Caper says:

If Boone leaves this website- and I for one hope he does not-perhaps he will start using Twitter as his main outlet or create his own website.

52. PrimeTime says:

Boone could create a job at Fox News. Quebec is the perfect place for “unbiased and balanced reporting”.

53. EnemyTerritory says:

I laughed out loud when I read the headline. It’s obviously tongue in check and suspect that Palushaj would chuckle as well if he read it. I don’t think it’s unprofessional – just humourous.

54. habstrinifan says:

WOW Guys! Easy on Mike Boone over what is really a simple wisecrack. I thought we were not gonna get antsy for a few days.

Come on put down you indignation and let’s wander over to the nearest friterie. I have a video package of Palushaj’s highlights that should last through sip 2 draught 1.

55. accp says:

Palushaj was listed as a first liner in the AHL maybe if he gets more playing time in the NHL he could become a good right winger. he’s young needs to put on a little beefcould do wonders

56. PrimeTime says:

Boone’s dedicated time to this site is much appreciated, especially his Live Blogs. Whatever changes are made I would imagine it would be difficult to find another who will attend every home game, and watch every road game sitting in his man cave to provide game updates and throw in his personal views of the game. Oh wait, I guess that would be every hardcore fan. Maybe it’s a little more difficult to find someone who won’t.

57. habstrinifan says:

” P.K. Subban – who is unsigned – went on Twitter to say he bought his brother Malcolm, a Boston draft choice, $170 Guess jeans.”

$170.00 for a pair of jeans. P.K’s in the money folks. I think I see a press release soon that he’s been signed.

58. frontenac1 says:

Hey Boone! Come on down to the Limestone City! The Kingston Whig Standard needs a great sports reporter like you! Cheap,abundant golf courses,great fishing,clean air and only 2 and a half hours back to Mtl. Oh yeah…you would have live blog one of the worst teams in the OHL,but the fans are great! All kidding aside,best of luck buddy,you’re one of the best!

59. jon514 says:

It’s crazy how far Wolski and Mueller have fallen. Is there an unspoken stigma in the NHL that a guy who has had a severe concussion is damaged goods?

60. Rad says:

I too am a bit surprised at the cynicism. This is a big day for Palushaj, let’s cut him some slack, at least for one day. Now get thee to a hockey rink Aaron, and start shooting some hockey pucks from your off-wing. Yeah, I’m talkin’ about PRACTICE!

61. holypricehabsman says:

I read the headline and started thinking we got doan or something! You got me Boone, you got me!

Only signing MAB would top this one.

I don’t get all the hate on Boone. He’s obviously talking Calder Cup.

64. frontenac1 says:

Hey Commandant! What are the odds that Galy and Brendan Vail are still with their Junior clubs come next Feb? I just checked the Fronts home schedule and the Sting and Spitfires aren’t in town until Feb 3 and10. Please give me some good news as this was going to be the highlight of my Frontenac season. Hola!

65. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I remember we brought in Palushaj because he was around the age of pachioretty and they were roomates, and the habs thought they could develop together, d’agositini i belive, was a 20 goal nhl scorer at the time, this has been completly one sided trade to this point. if Palushaj could make the jump and play on the top 2 lines, maybe due to injury with dd and paches, maybe he might break out! best luck ood signing!

66. habstrinifan says:

Hi Chris,
    Wanted to respond to you under this new thread. Read through your post very intently cause it was well written with lots of detail. I am not entrenched enough in my views as expressed in my post nor discounting enough of yours in your post to have a rebuttal. I enjoyed the discussion.

I however have to say that I am totally open-mouthed by your description of Palushaj as being able to get ‘under opponent’s skin’ when he was up with the big team. Sorry Chris, I have no complex statistical proof to refute that observation but will simply say I never saw it.

Again nice discussion prompted by Palushaj’s signing.

And oh yeah…. hurrah to new threads!!!!

• Chris says:

He hasn’t shown that side of his game yet in the NHL. But his reputation in the NCAA was as a real pest, as Esa Tikkanen type that could chirp with the best of them. And I had heard similar things from his time in the AHL, but I haven’t been to any Bulldogs for years. There isn’t much in this world that can make me willingly make the drive to Hamilton…such a depressing drive, coming down Highway 6 and seeing the smog…ugh!

I think it often takes a couple of years of being a regular before most youngsters feel confident to start chirping NHL players. P.K. Subban was somewhat anomalous in that.

Playing for Jacques Martin and knowing that one penalty was enough to be benched for 8 games, I think Palushaj was on his best behaviour in Montreal, which may actually limit his effectiveness.

67. Bripro says:

In the spirit of having time on my hands and no hockey to speak of, I give you my best imitation of a John Bellyfull blog:

MONTREAL – The proverbial poop hit the fan yesterday on one of hockey’s more popular blog sites, with curt discussions and shortened fuses after Tuesday’s announcement that Bell intends on converting TSN990 into a French all-sports radio station, pending approval from the CRTC.
    The commentariat of this site, usually known for perceptive comments on current affairs dealing almost exclusively with the Montreal Canadiens, got into a verbal exchange, which ultimately shut down the Montreal Gazette’s servers.
    Hostilities spilled over as some of the Montreal-based members took to the streets with their pots and pans, banging and chanting in unison:
    “We want hockey now! We’re bored, and how!”
    As they meandered aimlessly through the streets of downtown Montreal, they were soon walking elbow to elbow with student protesters who have now been marching for over 100 days.
    As one member who would only identify himself as “Tom” was approached, he immediately got into a verbal argument with a student protester. The argument ensued for several minutes, where it was obvious to the student that he wasn’t about to win the argument, and decided to move on.
    “Mess with me…” Tom was heard muttering. When asked where they intended on marching to, he replied: “I haven’t got the foggiest idea, but we’ve all brought our hockey sticks to defend ourselves.”
    Said march headed in the direction of the Hydro building, where Jean Charest was seen peeking from his top-floor window.
    Another member of the crowd was overheard saying: “Look at that curly-haired little weasel. He doesn’t know I can read lips, even from a distance.”
    He was asked what Charest was muttering. He replied: “Something about the english electorate that they take for granted.”
    The parade moved on, heading up to Jean Talon to the Bell executive headquarters. Once there, they held a sit-in, where they were greeted by a wee bit of a man with a barrel stomach who happened to own the friterie across the street. He offered them fries and a drink, but was surprised to learn that there was a poutine expert in the group who insisted that their fries be bathed in cheese and gravy.
    Another argument erupted when they were told to go home, since Bell executives were having a meeting at the local Hyatt with executives from the CRTC, in one of the suites, and were not available for comment. One member in particular yelled out: “I walked here from Burlington! If you think I’m walking back already, you’re out of your mind. Not until I’ve had my draft at Hurley’s!”
    Yet another: “You think you’ve got it bad…I’ve come from Surrey, B.C. I know I’m a great speed walker but this is ridiculous!”
    A reporter from LaPresse was overheard interviewing a few marchers who refused to respond in French. And the reporter refused to interview in English. Finally, one marcher approached, with his bald head visibly burned from the extended exposure to the day’s sun, holding his grandson.
    When the reporter tried to ask them a question, the baby was seen grabbing the microphone, yelling “mine, mine!” When the reporter attempted to retrieve his mike, the baby regurgitated on the reporter’s shoes. As the reporter’s cameraman got upset at said site, a few members of the parade came to the baby’s defense. One marcher, seen with a joint hanging from his mouth and his iPod screaming out Led Zeppelin’s “Cashmere”, came face-to-face with the cameraman and told everybody to “just chill out, man!”
    Finally, the burley member from Burlington stated that, if they have to, they intend on holding a sit-in until all concerned parties are rounded up into one room, preferably with Guinness on tap, to iron-out a deal between all parties concerned.
    Said another: “If we have to, we’ll stay until the end of October. We’ll all be back here at that time anyhow.” This older gentleman, with a whistle strung around his neck, conducted himself with courtesy, keeping everyone within the lines.
    When asked who this man was, the little bald man with the grandson replied:
    “Ian for Premier!!!”

And this reporter got the last laugh as one marcher complained that if he sat down, he’d tear his spandex.

• Cal says:

Nice story, Bri! :D

• habstrinifan says:

Gloriously done sir! Beautiful.

Question 1. What the hell is a friterie? Well regeardless it has now replaced ‘depanneur’ as my favourite cross over word. I say all future Canadiens trades and other activities involving the bartering of and for human bodies (wink wink) be conducted in friteries.

#2.Speaking of cross-over. While you properly identified several eclipsing bodies in HIO’s solar system I feel slighted that my spandex-clad self did not catch your eye.

Oh Well! Palushaj’s signed! Beer for everyone at the friterie. Do they sell beer at the friterie. They must. In Quebec they sell beer everywhere. Heck I am sure a priest offered me a beer at a confession I made in Quebec so that I could cross the border back into Ontario un-sullied… but that’s a whole different story.

• Bripro says:

Sorry I missed you trini. But it’s all good now. You’re in the edited version.

BTW a friterie is a french fry joint.

• boing007 says:

A french fries and hot dog truck. Used to be dozens of them in Hull, Quebec, some 40 years ago. Mmm, greasy french fries. A little something to warm you up on a cold winter’s night in Hull while heading for Le Rendezvous.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

68. PrimeTime says:

Cynic fans make lousy journalists.

69. rhino514 says:

I think if Paloosh has a good training camp I would give the starting role on the third line over Armstrong or LL. He´s a natural right winger with scoring instincts and has never been given a string of games on anything other than a fourth line to prove himself. Better to try him early in the season and let LL polish his skills with Hamilton.

I also see it as kinda sad that LL will have no chance to become a centre with the montreal canadiens, which is his natural position, and he may not develop appropriately playing on the wing, even though he has shown he can do it when asked.

70. nellis13 says:

He might be OK if he settles down. He just seems too nervous. He’s got nice numbers with the Bulldogs. Maybe they can work him into a trade.

71. JUST ME says:

An AHL player with an up side…i think…Just 22 years young so hopefully with the new team in Hamilton he gets a decent chance to evolve.
    He was asked to fill big skates in the NHL last season an did not play with players that completed him. That is what happens when a youngster is asked to come in the big league. He does not play on a line that helps to build confidence.
    But let`s not kid ourselves , he is not the difference maker.

72. Chris says:

For those of you that watch the Bulldogs regularly, how are Palushaj’s defensive skills in the AHL? I envision him as a future Pascal Dupuis/Maxime Talbot/Vernon Fiddler type.

Those kinds of guys don’t earn a lot of credibility, but they are tremendously important. Palushaj has the speed and is generally lauded as a smart player, but I haven’t seen him in enough situations to judge whether he could become a good checking line player. Playing with the Habs scrub fourth liners of the past few years is not a recipe for success.

• commandant says:

He’s decent defensively in the AHL.

The biggest thing with Palushaj is that he needs to get stronger. If he can do that this summer he’ll have a good chance at a roster spot IMO.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
      Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• Mats Naslund says:

I don’t watch the Bulldogs, but I think you’re right in terms of what we saw in the NHL. He clearly has a great offensive sense, but to me he was purely physically outclassed – which often resulted with him taking unnecessary contact, which in one case led to a concussion if I remember correctly. Its certainly too soon to write him off, but unless he can get used to having bigger defenders and less time & space to work with he’ll continue to get crushed in the NHL. Still – he’s a viable guy to see time if there are injuries.

73. twilighthours says:

He’s not the missing piece, mike, but he’s an honest player. No need to rip him.

• Ton says:

I agree……….Mike certainly there is better ways to get attention………please re track your comments……..and come up with a better headline!

Agree with you Twilight, however, with the rumours abound regarding The Gazette and how it affects Mr. Boone, I could understand if he has some cynicism these days. All the best Mike! I am hopeful you continue to be a leader here on this great site you helped create.

• This Guy says:

Bit of a low blow at his current circumstance, seeing as he’s used this title/bit many times in previous signings and call-ups. Cheers to the last sentence!

I didn’t mean to take any low blow at Mike. I don’t care too much for the ripping of Palush, perhaps I shouldn’t have linked that together, my bad.

But certainly appreciate all he has done for this site and hope it continues.

• This Guy says:

Frankly, I didn’t care for it much either. I always respect your posts, heck you sounded sympathetic. I simply wanted to clarify the situation.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

mike boone always does this he ripped filip forsberg too, call him a slight upgrade to travis moen. this guy dosnt know what it means to be professional!

• wjc says:

Sarcasm gets tiring after awhile, I wonder what he would have said about a young Doug Harvey when he was 22 years old.

Mike Boone was 22 once learning his craft at one time, if that’s what sports writers do, learn their craft? Why not announce the signing and wish him well. Two way contracts are no guarantees for success.

Every player back in the 50’s and 60’s were on two way contracts. You could be sent down at anytime. Gump Worsley got hurt and spent one and a half years in the minors before he found his way back. Harvey ended his career in the minors also.

74. Mr. Biter says:

Agree, AP waste of cap space. Rather have Gefferion (probably spellt wrong). AP will never become a full time NHL player. Better have been a 2 way contract.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

75. Kfourn says:

Relax it’s a depth signing…

It was indeed a 2 way contract.

77. Kfourn says:

Does that mean when Lucic plays the Canucks, he has to beat himself up?

78. Chris says:

Right. It is the Euro-style, not the lack of talent, that made them a bottom-5 team.

79. joeybarrie says:

Having a player who can fight, does not make a team tough. Ask BGL….

80. piper says:

Better to ask a skilled player if he plays tougher with that type of player on the team.