The Comeback Spring

4751021

Photo by Mike Carlson/Reuters

No playoff game is over until it’s over.
The Tampa Bay Lightning became this postseason’s third team to rally from a 3-0 deficit to win a game.
San Jose and the Bulldogs get a chance to even their series Sunday afternoon.

And hey, the world didn’t end on May 21.

Bruce Arthur’s game story

• The view from Boston: A very bad loss

Mike Smith, unlikely hero

Malone makes impact

Kaberle the goat

Sharks plan to stay physical

Canucks forced to shuffle D

Bulldogs will not go quietly

Boogard laid to rest

Special video treat for Bruins fans: 1971 Game 7

1. Mr_MacDougall says:

I haven’t commented since the season has ended.

I have put a lot of thought into the state of the team, and have concluded that it will be a few years before we can be a Stanley Cup favorite… not to say that if a few players played better than expected we couldn’t win next year.

Our strongest position is a tie between goal-tending and defense.

Our defense is solid provided we sign Markov and he stays healthy. Hopefully his injuries are fluke and he is not brittle, remember when Koivu had consecutive seasons with knee issues and people thought he was done, now he has played a few seasons injury free, hopefully the same happens with Markov. So long term i think Markov, Georges and Subban are a very strong top three; two all stars in Pk and AM.

Goaltending is looking great moving forward, I don’t think I’d trade Price for any goal-tender in the league.

That leaves the forwards.. yikes! In my opinion we have a great number two center in Plekanec. He is an excellent defensive shut down center. Pacioretty is a solid youngster with a seemingly bright future.. possibly a 30 goal man. Cammalleri is another solid and clutch winger along with Gionta. AK has the potential to be a solid rough winger with strength, but I’d like to see another consistent scoring winger with size and skill to replace him in the long term plans.. I do not see AK as a career impact Hab. Gomez is a major problem because we have him for three more seasons. I am certain two of those will be as a Hab, unless Pierre Gautier pulls off one of the best moves in recent history. Unlikely.

Basically, if we have Markov, an experienced Subban and Pacioretty, along with Pleks, Gionta, Cammy, Price, and Georges and The 11 million we have tied up in Gomez and Spacek spent on a TRUE #1 CENTER! We will be a serious contender, it is just going to take some time.

Also, I wonder what kind of raises PK and Carey will be getting in their next contract, and for how long?

Have to wonder if PG is looking at Drew MacIntyre as possible backup next year. Guy is playing great in playoffs and was good down the stretch in reg. season going into playoffs.

Great Effort Boys, PG get to work this Summer!

3. TheThinker says:

Someone asked the question why Dawes is not with the Habs, maybe can’t play the role of Moen, Pyatt, White. As a scorer, I think he would be better than Moen, Pyatt, White. don’t know any other reason maybe size, speed don’t know what Habs management is looking for. I know what they need “more scoring” part from that, this is a pretty good team.

4. baruch says:

Turning points of the Nucks game last night.
    1. Luongo gets his pad down and blocks a Clowe redirect on like the 5th consecutive powerplay.
    2. Ballard duck/hit on McGoon, guy wasn’t the same after that one…

5. rocketsglare says:

Great news about the Bulldogs winning in 2OT. I’m sure both Dawes
    and Palushaj will be looked at very carefully next season. But, they
    are still small and the Habs need to get bigger up front.

6. CHsam says:

Cant help but feel that certain members here are up in arms everyday when SF09 or Berkshire drop a few words…… Everyone needs to take a chill pill… At the end of the day, we’re not curing cancner and we’re not getting No. 1 draft pick. So why get so upset? Things will be the way they are…..

7. jew4jah says:

good for the dogs! double OT to force a game 7.
    does anyone know if this game will be available in on TV, a bar in montreal or streaming?

chara = חרה

8. MD says:

So…
    According to “monster” Pierre the team needs the following 7 stars to win the cup:
    – Goaltending
    – All Star defenseman
    – 1st line center
    – Sniper
    – Power-forward
    – Energy(Role) player
    – The specialist

Who are we missing?

• cheezboie says:

– Goaltending – got it with Price
      – All Star defenseman – got it with PK, Markov
      – 1st line center – missing but won’t get it this year – closest match is Laich who is a 2nd line center but would work well as a 2a/2b with Pleks IMHO.
      – Sniper – got it with Cammalleri, Gio
      – Power-forward – should have it back with Max-Pac
      – Energy(Role) player – got it with White, Darche
      – The specialist – ?Weber on the 4th line/PP

• habstrinifan says:

Need two more pieces. If yemelin is on and maybe Diaz.. lose Gill(sad to say) and Hammr and Mara and Wiz and maybe Weber and GET a stay at home D with Gill’s size but better and tougher defensively. I would have kept Gill but if the two new signings are gonna play (and rumour is they both are NHL ready) then we dont need to resign him. So Markov/Subban/Gorges/Yemelin/Webber/Spacek.. and that BIG STEADY MEAN-TOUGH addition.

Power forward.. replace Moen with more grit/meaness, youth ,size and little better skill.

Then we are SET.. oh yes get Emery for backup goalie.

• issie74 says:

Pierre,is looking for a job.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Aaron Palushaj to Nigel Dawes, Game-winner in Second OT of Game 6, Hamilton Bulldogs have forced a Game 7, third time in 75-year history of the AHL to make a 7-game series after falling behind 0-3 in the playoffs.

Palushaj now has 18 points in 18 playoff games (6G, 12A). Nigel Dawes is tied for the lead in playoff goals with 14. Andreas Engqvist had his first 2-goal game in the AHL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• HardHabits says:

Boyd got an assist on the game winner too.

• showey47 says:

I can’t understand why dawes wasn’t kept up with the habs. IMO he would have been an upgrade over pyatt. Dawes scored more goals with the flames last year then pyatt has career points.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Issue is speed, Dawes has some good scoring talent but he’s not as quick as a small man should be to stick in the NHL hence why he bounces around the league, he needs to work on that in the offseason.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• ManApart says:

You said that about DD also.

• SeriousFan09 says:

DD did improve his skating though compared to last season and let’s not forget he didn’t score a goal after March 5th. He has some fantastic puck skills, but on the whole he wasn’t breaking away that often like you’d except Pleks or Gionta to with a pure burst of speed.

And the book isn’t closed on DD sticking in the NHL, Dawes had 3 straight seasons of scoring at least 10 goals, now he’s playing in the A.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• ManApart says:

DD’s skating is the same as it was last season, don’t make up stories. You talked about DD’s speed this season anyway, about a month before he was called up for the season. My comment wasn’t about Dawes or DD necessarily being NHL players, although I believe they both are. My comment was that if they are in the AHL it’s not because of their speed.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Because I’m still not convinced he’s fast enough to stick around. he had some good moments with MTL but he doesn’t seem have a real breakaway gear and pretty much the rule in the NHL is if you’re going to be small, you have to be very fast.

The NHL is hard-up for players who can score goals and with the talent gap between the Top 5 teams and the bottom 5 teams generally, anyone who can put a puck in the net is worth something. What’s keeping them out of the NHL is that if St. Louis or Gionta get the first step on someone, they’re gone, if Dawes or Desharnais, it’s a maybe.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• showey47 says:

He is obviously not as quick as pyatt but he also isn’t corey locke slow. If he was,he wouldn’t have been putting up the decent numbers he was as a role player in calgary and new york. I remember him being a real pain in the ass to play against as a ranger. Just my opinion,i would play dawes ahead of pyatt.

• issie74 says:

Looking for speed…Danny Kristo.

• Number31 says:

Pyatt is a penalty killer specialist with speed to burn. It’s that same role that saw him fill a spot on the national junior team where he collected two gold medals.

• slapshot777 says:

It was a beauty too. Palushaj picks off the puck in the neutral zone and goes in on a 2 on 1 slips it over to Dawes who scores his second of the game and 14th of this playoff season. I wonder if Dawes will play for the Habs next season.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• naweed235 says:

highlights anywhere?

• RetroMikey says:

LOL! Now jumping the bandwagon are you? You didn;t give a squat about my hometown Dawgs until our Habs got eliminated, remember SeriousFan? I believe the words you used waas and I quote you said “I don’t give a rat ass about them” in a previous post when we were discussing them and kept berating me on this site about my Dawgs.
      Why the change?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks re updates.. I wa sjust about to go searching.

• LA Loyalist says:

Dogs are really showing us some stuff especially after we raided them all year for bodies… really impressive.

• sidhu says:

SF09, do you think Palushaj will earn a roster spot after training camp, or do you think he may be a top call-up during the year?

Thanks for your updates on the ‘Dogs.

10. showey47 says:

Sure wish rds would show bulldogs games.

11. Robert L says:

Some of Gauthier’s best trades were AHL moves.

• HardHabits says:

The Expos had one of the best if not the best farm systems in MLB. Build them on the farm.

It would be nice to see the Habs develop and graduate a team of young superstars from out the rabbits hat like the Expos did.

• showey47 says:

Doesn’t look like the expos farm system or scouting staff followed them to washington,lol. I agree about them having one of the best farm systems/scouting staffs in the league at the time though.

12. punkster says:

Wow…Dawes the Dawg!!!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

13. NoTinFoilCups says:

Dogs win in double OT! Dawes with his 14th goal of the playoffs!

14. aemarchand11 says:

DOGS WIN!

Dawes! Come to training camp in shape next year buddy, its your spot to lose.

“I have a different constitution. I have a different brain; I have a different heart; I got tiger blood, man.” – Charlie Sheen.

Dawes from Palushaj.

Up to now Houston 60 shots – Hamilton 37 shots.

17. Robert L says:

‘Dogs on the PP 5 mins into 2OT. TMM for Houston.

18. Mr_MacDougall says:

My brother told me that we are on the hook for the full cap hit and only on the hook for half of the Gomez salary (the Ranger pick up the other half). Gomez makes 7.5, 5.5 and $4.5 million over the next three seasons. With that being said, a low budget team could be attracted to Gomez because.of his large cap hit. For example, the Florida Panthers could use Gomez to eat up $22.2 mill of cap space over three seasons for only $8.75 mill. (half of the remaining contract for three years with an annual $7.4 mill cap hit).

So there is a glimmer of short term hope in the Gomez fiasco.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Hamilton Bulldogs going to Double OT.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

20. slapshot777 says:

Tie game now with 2 minutes to go.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

21. cheezboie says:

Listening to the Bulldogs game (now 4-4) – Go Dogs! Have to say play by play guy is great – colour guy is black & white… McIntyre for Lapierre not looking so bad (via Festerling)

My armchair GM 11/12 habs –

Camm – Pleks – (AK46 or upgrade)
    MaxPac – (Desharnais or upgrade) – Gio
    Darche – Eller – Dawes or Palushaj
    Moen – Engqvist – White
    Pyatt

Markov – Gorges
    Gill – Subban
    Yemelin – Weber
    Spacek – Diaz

Price
    Auld

Gomez for captain of the Hamilton Bulldogs!

• pat s says:

cheezboie—nice comment on gomez–i can’t stop laughing

yemlin/diaz–you are that confident that they will make the team–

i say go get bieska–no excuses–he is an impact player

• Chris F says:

THIS LINE-UP WILL NOT GET IT DONE, PERIOD!!
      I like Dawes, but he is an AHL Player. Enqvist is not going to be our fourth line center, and Gomez is not going anywhere.
      PG has to pick up a scoring winger, and someone bigger than 6’0″, 190 lbs. This is an absolute must. I believe this summer will really show what PG is made of. There were far too many beatdowns by the hand of the puke Bruins this year. Pyatt, Spacek, Pacioretty’s life flashing in front of our eyes, Pouliot being bullied by that puke Lucic (after the patches hit!!), the list goes on and on. Vancouver used to be soft, and they lost. Big difference this year, the twins are still the twins, but they have size and grit, without it, they lose to Chicago in the first round.
      We need someone playing center on the fourth line that can put some real pain on the oppositions D, ex: Zenon Konopka.
      We can’t continue to rely on Travis Moen to pick-up for all of our small guys. He’s not a heavyweight.
      PG has made his move on D, picking up Emelin, add our own players in Markov and Gorges, along with PK, Weber, Spacek (unfortunately) and there you have it. They may re-sign Gill. I would love PG to put his balls on the line and demote Spacek and go after Bieksa, but it’s not going to happen.
      However, there is some toughness out there that we may be able to get without killing the cap, ex: Shane O’Brien.
      I think we should go after one or two of the following:
      Joel Ward, Konopka, Rick Rypien, Raffi Torres, Anton Babchuck, Adam Pardy, Jonathan Ericsson.

• cheezboie says:

Bieksa is a no go as you won’t spend 5 mill on a 3rd pairing right sided D (Gorges plays right with Markov, Subban). I’m with adding size & Strength especially down the middle as a 1B with Pleks but who? Not against Konopka as a 4th line center but don’t misjudge Engqvist he has size and plays a great shutdown role in Hamilton. P.S. DAWES SCORES DAWES SCORES!!!

• cheezboie says:

UFA List pretty dry I’d go first for Brooks Laich, not Shane O’Brien as I don’t like my D spending time in the box

Gomez for captain of the Hamilton Bulldogs!

• pat s says:

cheezboie–i hope you are not comparing bieska to georges–i’ll trade goerges for bieska any day of the week–please tell me you are not comparing georges to bieska b/c there is no comparison

• cheezboie says:

Not comparing – But you need to manage the cap and I think Gorges is a better deal than Bieksa as a top four D-man for the price. Bieksa is a buy high player much like the Wiz will be. Need to buy low in this cap world. As I previously mentioned I prefer my D to be on the ice and not in the box so for bang for the buck Gorges > O’Brien, Bieksa. Use the money for Laich or Frolov (who happened to have great chemistry with Cammalleri in L.A. & is a natural RW unlike AK46).

My armchair GM 11/12 habs –
            Camm – Pleks – (AK46 or upgrade ?Alex Frolov)
            MaxPac – (Desharnais or upgrade ?Brooks Laich) – Gio
            Darche – Eller – Dawes or Palushaj
            Moen – Engqvist – White
            Pyatt

Markov – Gorges
            Gill – Subban
            Yemelin – Weber
            Spacek – Diaz

Price
            Auld

Gomez for captain of the Hamilton Bulldogs!

22. TheThinker says:

I hear nothing, I say nothing

Enqvist scores shortie 4-2 Dogs.

Bulldogs radio stream –> http://cham.player.amri.ca/

25. SeriousFan09 says:

A Globe and Mail piece on the life of NHL enforcers.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

26. slapshot777 says:

Dogs leading 3-2 over Aeros after two. Two late goals in the second to take the lead. Nigel Dawes sets a Bulldogs record for goals in a single playoff season with his 13th.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

27. slapshot777 says:

Dogs and Aeros are tied at 1 after first period. Dogs played a good first should have had more if not for the play of Aeros goaltender Hackett, Jeff’s nephew.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

28. Psycho29 says:

Amazing how CBC says Lapierre is “relentless”…..”a pitbull” now that he is a Canuck. Last year he was a “cheap shot artist”

29. SeriousFan09 says:

Well, Heatley’s certainly proving he’s good in the clutch, or not…

Scores .49GPG in his RS career, but only .23GPG in the playoffs and it’s not like he can say he’s sacrificing that production for sound defensive play. Little harder when you’re not shooting on Team Latvia I guess.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

30. Psycho29 says:

Could someone please post the site for free TV, Pay-Per-Views, etc?
    Thanks in advance!

31. HabFanSince72 says:

This one’s in the books.

Nucks just need to make sure no one gets injured.

32. Mr_MacDougall says:

I haven’t commented since the season has ended.

Our strongest position is a tie between goal-tending and defense.

Also, I wonder what kind of raises PK and Carey will be getting in their nex contract, and for how long?

• kempie says:

Good sensible post (a rarity) and I agree with just about everything. I think that we need to add another solid top-six forward to play with Cammy & Plex. AK seems to do very well playing against third-line competition and he has something clicking with Eller. Speaking of Larry, there’s another youngster who’s becoming pretty impressive and he’s still a really skinny babyface kid. On D, don’t forget Emelin. That could be really something. Plus, I could name off the top of my head, 6 or 7 prospects that are very exciting and who are in the 2-4 years away range. As for the contracts for Price and PK, if they have another year like the past one, that equates to some pretty monster contracts. Price will be looking north of $6 and guys like PK don’t grow on trees. The only thing going against PK is that it’s only 2 years of NHL time, but man the 1st one was pretty impressive. Whenever you try to improve this team within the cap, everything leads back to Gomez. And I agree that Gomez isn’t likely to move for a couple of years. But I think that, if we can add a forward, Pacthes picks up where he left off, Emelin becomes solid, and we catch a little injury luck (and by that I mean no broken necks, severed tendons, ACL/MCL catastrophes, career-threatening brain injuryes, you know just the basics) this team can be the one that nobody wants to play.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

My brother told me that we are only on the hook for half of the Gomez salary (the Ranger pick up the other half while we take the full cap hit) and that Gomez makes 7.5, 5.5 and $4.5 million over the next three seasons. With that being said, a low budget team could be attracted to Gomez because of his large cap hit. For example, the Florida Panthers could use Gomez to eat up $22.2 mill of cap space over three seasons for only $8.75 mill. (half of the remaining contract for three years of $7.4 mill cap hit.

So there is a glimmer of short term hope in the Gomez fiasco.

Hopefully we get PK for around $3 mill over a few seasons and Price for $5 mill long term.

Here is the question, where will we get the number one center that everybody wants.. you know, size, speed, scoring, consistency? I can only think of a few of those anywhere.. Thornton, Datsyuk, E Stall, Getzlaf, Toews, Crosby, Malkin, B Richards and Sedin. I’m sure a left out a few.. but IMO there are between 12-18 true number ones in the league, I wonder how we can land one? UFA? Trade?

FYI Crosby is UFA in two more years lololol

33. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

So, I guess Vigneault worked on the 5-on-3 then.

Very impressive how quickly they executed on all 3. San Jose just handed Vancouver the game with some stupid penalties.

Vancouver is too good of a team not to win the Cup this year. Chicago was their only obstacle the last couple of years and they got over that hump in the first round in a big way.

At least the Cup is coming back to Canada.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Much like the Bruins against our Habs. I think if Habs won at least game 3, we would’ve been in ECF. Just came 1 goal short to win that series.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I don’t see how my comment has anything to do with our series against Boston.

However, you’re right, we were very close to winning the series. I think the key game was Game 4. We had a chance to really put the screws to Boston, and we blew it. We were still one goal away though.

34. Toe Blake says:

Niemi is done! They keep him in and the final score will be 8-1!

35. Steven says:

Are the Canucks something, or what?

Already 3 goals on 3 shots.

McLellan is calling the timeout but I don’t think it’ll save them, the way the Canucks are going.

…But how did they find themselves on the 5 on 3 that many times? Are there some chancy calls or are the Sharks just imploding?

• HabFanSince72 says:

One call was bogus – too many men that was really just a hasty change.

The other was bad luck. Murray shot the puck down the ice and it went directly out – over Luongo’s head.

• habstrinifan says:

Dont know if calls were bogus or not, I was listening on my bus radio. But sure hated to see a playoff hockey game where the officiating/penalties had such a huge impact. It wrecked the game.

I think the referee went a litle clueless for 2 minutes.

• habstrinifan says:

Listened to the game on radio.. the Canucks did not impress me. Those consecutive 5 -on-3 wrecke dthe game. And I dont mind if the Canucks win but heck it’s hard to lose a game like that.

36. HabFanSince72 says:

Terrible call on San Jose. A very marginal too many men on the ice whlie they are short handed. Complete nonsense.

And now another 5 on 3!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this.

37. pmaraw says:

looks like the fix is in in sj/van game

38. SnowManHabs85 says:

Anyone has the link that explains to why the world would end on may 21? I seriously don’t know what’s been talked about. Everyone I know are talking about that the world didn’t end or survived the rapture or judgement day.

39. habsfansince91 says:

anyone know a link where i can watch the bulldogs?

40. Psycho29 says:

What a horrendous anthem singer in SJ…I think he was channeling Bill Murray…

41. CHsam says:

Hahah. You know a Habs website is doing a good job when the first person to post on Boone’s morning postings is some Bruins nutjob fan

42. JohnBellyful says:

So much for the Rapture — and, boy, do I feel stupid handing over my house and car to the HIO Pension Fund to help all the heathen posters left behind.
    There was a mini-Rapture, however. The Bruins’ meltdown, which did transport me to heaven, if only temporarily (they make you take off your shoes at the Gates). What bliss it was to see the Claudehopping Juliengans snatch defeat from victory. What’s the diagnosis, Dr. Recchi? And prognosis? No, not Marchand’s nose, you idiot.
    And you call yourself a doctor?
    So the EndTimes didn’t happen — that would be Boston winning the Cup — so hope has been restored that all is right with the world — that would be the Bruins losing the next two games.
    Fear of the Rapture, however, was enough to cause my PC to expire. Time of death: sometime early Friday morning. Which means I had to go offsite to get my HIO fix. Signing off now. Just heard the neighbour pull into the driveway. Talk to ya Tuesday (that’s when he goes on the night shift).

• HabFanSince72 says:

Why is the non-occurrence of the rapture in the news? It’s at the top of my homepage news listings on various different sites?

• ManApart says:

With all this Dr. Recchi talk, in his defence, Max-Pac was skating 3 weeks after the incident. I mean many dramatists on here were calling for a police investigation and Chara to be suspended for life etc. because Max was an inch from death. Next thing you know, he’s skating and everything is fine. Recchi didn’t say he was faking, but he suggested there were some exaggerations on the original diagnosis. It was an ignorant comment, but I kinda see where he was coming from. Really it’s all the Hab fan drama queens who look stupid and have egg on their face, not Recchi.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

The Hab fans that were calling for a police investigation would have looked ridiculous regardless of Recchi’s claims.

To suggest that Recchi doesn’t look stupid for suggesting the team or Pacioretty embellished his injuries is just plain wrong. Pacioretty suffered a concussion and a fractured vertebrae. He was very lucky with the vertebrae injury.

People react and recover differently from concussions. No two concussions are the same. There was an article in Maclean’s magazine that came out shortly after the Pacioretty incident that quoted research on concussions being done at a university that showed how Pacioretty could recover more quickly from his concussion than Crosby, even though it seemed the hit on Pacioretty was worse than the hit on Crosby. It had a lot to do with the direction of the impact and other factors.

Recchi made some stupid and very ill-advised comments.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Here’s the link to the story:

• kempie says:

Tuuuuuuuurrrrrooooooooollllllllllll much?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Manapart – If you aren’t an ex-employee who was fired by the Canadiens I’ll eat a hockey puck.

• SeriousFan09 says:

In the defence of trained medical professionals, you can be concussed and be playing right after the fact depending upon factors. Paul Kariya scored a huge playoff goal after getting crushed by Scott Stevens in 2003 but he was never really the same after. Other players have jumped back on the ice as well.

Crosby’s concussion was obviously more severe than originally let on, but because of the issue with diagnosing such injuries it was deemed ‘mild’ and he missed the rest of the year.

For a guy who was around to see the decline of many fine NHL careers due to head injuries, it’s a ridiculous statement to suggest that concussions aren’t a big deal. And people were right to demand SOME kind of justice regarding Chara’s hit, that was a brutal play with malice, a half-assed series of excuses about what happened and in the end of, “Sloppy seconds” had Sean Avery in more trouble, or Wiz letting Avery know what people think of him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• ManApart says:

I never said concussions weren’t a big deal. I said I kind of get where Recchi was coming from and was making fun of what people were saying and doing in the few weeks after the incident.

• SeriousFan09 says:

He insulted the medical opinions of an outstanding team medical staff is what he did, accusing a team’s doctor of embellishing an injury is not making fun of what people were saying but downright disrespectful.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

STFU troll.

• pat s says:

ManApart–reechi should not have said anything but i know what you mean, pac is my favorite hab player so i was mad what chara did but i was more mad with montreal not having a lineup that protects players like pac—if this happened with serge savard being our GM there would have been a riot the next game

• habstrinifan says:

LOL. Funny post. Although I didnt get the neighbour part. Either you are banging his wife or surreptitiously using his computer. Since I dont see a true HABS/HIO underhanded enough to covet a man’s computer, I am gonna assume it’s his his wife.

• punkster says:

I really have to do this more often…wait a day or so before reading the comments on this site. This post is an excellent example of the humour and lighthearted attitude that normally eases the tensions here. Then I read a couple of the responses, from the asshats who populate this site for the single purpose of trolling up a storm, and I get an even bigger laugh. What a couple of wingnuts.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

43. Favorite Son says:

Hmm, it’s nice to see videos from a time where the Canadiens were actually good.

It will be close, but I believe Tampa has what it takes to get past the Bean Town Bullies! Go Tampa Go.!

This tells a story on how good the Habs were this year, one goal difference from still playing.

45. HabsFanInTampa says:

Great game yesterday. The natives here went crazy when the Bolts tied it up and eventually won the game. I was surprised the Gooins didn’t resort to their BS when the game was out of reach for them after the St. Louis empty-netter.
    My two cents: Guy Boucher keeps impressing me more and more each game. He coaches like a seasoned veteran coach and not a rookie. His decision to yank Roloson with 1:55 to go in the first period and not wait for the period to end was, looking back, genius. He sent a strong message to all his players. Tell me again why he wasn’t nominated for Coach of the Year?
    Secondly, former Habs players Moore and MAB (Yes MAB!) are becoming well-rounded players. I never liked MAB’s defensive breakdowns when he played for us, and was glad when we let him go. But, I believe him throwing down his gloves, standing his ground and fighting to a draw was a turning point for his team. After that fight the Bolts looked like a more focused, balanced team.

• Bugs says:

Think Guy’ll go back to Rollie?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Mark C says:

MAB’s play on Boston’s second goal was horrendous, not sure, he’s any more “well-rounded” than last year. But hey, anything that makes Boucher look good!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Boucher is good. He’s taken a bottom dweller to the conference finals.

• Mark C says:

Didn’t say he wasn’t. But, saying Moore and MAB are more well-rounded under him, when there is no evidence of such, is a little ridiculous. Tampa was hardly a bottom dweller last year, even with a completely incompetent head coach.

Hey, how did your “fighter” Tim Thomas do yesterday?

• ManApart says:

Don’t forget what Yzerman has done to hire Boucher #1 and also bring in some key pieces to bring TBay from a non-playoff team to the verge of the Finals. Now that’s what I am talking about when I say we could have better management on the Habs. We’re going on year 8, with our goofs, while Yzerman is not even finished year one.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Right, because the roster Bob Gainey inherited in his first year is totally comparable to the roster Steve Yzerman inherited in his first year.

Yzerman inherited Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman, two of the top young players at their respective positions in the NHL. Stamkos was already a superstar when Yzerman got to Tampa. He also had Stanley Cup winners Martin St-Louis and Vincent Lecavalier who have both been in the top-10 scorers in the NHL at one point in time.

Bob Gainey inherited Saku Koivu, Mike Ribeiro, Michael Ryder and Richard Zednik. Those were the top offensive players on the team. Markov was not yet an elite player. The roster also included such terrific players as Andreas Dackell, Jan Bulis, Darren Langdon and Jason Ward.

Could you at least concede that Yzerman walked into a much more favorable situation?

• pat s says:

ManAPart–well stated, and you are completely correct. Yes, I still have read posts that say Gainey did a goo job for the habs–he did a great job in making our team become victims of bullies on the ice. Seriously speaking, Gainey was great as a player but horrible as a GM.

The excuses I have to hear about how other GMs are able to do well b/c of whatever reason but Gainey was not b/c of whatever factors–give me a break

• ManApart says:

Yes, Yzerman had a better core than Gainey. He still walked onto a team that missed the playoffs 3 years in a row. They had all those guys you mentioned the last few years, except Hedman also. This is only his 1st year. Gainey/Gauthier has had 7. If Yzerman had done this in year 3 or 4 it would be different. It’s pretty clear to me. Yzerman is a great GM and Gainey/Gauthier are not.

• ManApart says:

You are dead on Pat S. I’ve never seen so many excuse makers like I do on here. Instead of recognizing the actuality, they always have some excuse why others do well and The Habs don’t. When there is no more excuses they just claim others are lucky and the Habs are unlucky lol.

• saskhabfan says:

This coming from the guy who claims every hab injury is an excuse but then blamed halak’s poor season on blues injuries? Now do you get why you are considered such a joke along with retromonkey?

• pat s says:

saskhabfan—i’m not sure why you have to be so bitter, all we are doing is debating on the habs b/c we all like hockey and we are all hab fans.

People say yzerman had a group of core players and that is why he is doing well. At the end of the day, his team is doing well. But if they were in last place you would not to hesitiate and say he did a bad job. Maybe we would have better players if gainey drafted richards or carter rather than AK. We can start with that one.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

ManApart and pat s:

I’m not saying Yzerman hasn’t done a good job. I think he is a good GM and will probably be a great one over time, but I’m just pointing out that it’s kind of ridiculous to compare what he did in his first year to what Gainey did over time. Gainey inherited such a mess of a roster and had NO prospects to work with. Yzerman walked into a situation that was ripe for a quick turnaround.

Tampa missed the playoffs the last 3 years because they had some of the worst ownership, management and coaching that this league has seen. They had two owners who didn’t see eye to eye. They had an amateur GM. They hired Barry Melrose for crying out loud. And when that didn’t work, they replaced him with Rick Tocchet. There Vinny trade rumors for 3 years. That clearly affected his play.

That team needed some stability and professionalism to give the players a shot in the arm. They got a good owner, a good GM and a good coach. Now they are perfoming the way a lot of people expected them to over the last couple of years.

Yzerman made some good depth moves, but it’s not like he re-invented the wheel or anything.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

Mark C: MAB will always be MAB when it comes to defensive breakdowns. But, he showed me alot when he fought yesterday. That’s all I’m really saying.

46. RetroMikey says:

B’s will win the series….everyone is human…..we choked in Game 4 in the series against them ….everyone seems to forget that.
    We could have ended up in 4th or 5th but we choked down the stretch and TBay is playing spring hockey instead of us right now.
    And yes, the world did not end for the Bruins on this day.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• HabFanSince72 says:

“B’s will win the series….everyone is human…..we choked in Game 4″

You sure did. You had the Bolts where you wanted them and you choked.

• HabsFan2 says:

“Kudos for Tampa Bay, they had a lucky seed to go this far in the playoffs by their seeding in the playoffs.”

Bahahahahahahahahahahaha

You should change your name to RetroExcuse. I wonder if you would make the same excuses for the Habs. I already know the answer!

———————————————-
      RIP- K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

• RetroMikey says:

Next!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• HabsFan2 says:

Next? What, your excuses?

Don’t worry, you’ve got many more for the rest of the league. You’re top dog when it comes to that.

Suivant!
          ———————————————-
          RIP- K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

• Bugs says:

We didn’t forget it; it happened yesterday.
      Choking is what you Beaners do best; no need to explain it to us.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• habstrinifan says:

You are on! Tampa will not only beat BOSTON but will win CUP. I made the call weeks ago and I am sticking to it. Although last game I was nervous.

47. kempie says:

I just had a hearty laugh reading on a TB message board. I found this:

“I was at the game today and there were Boston fans smoking in the section I was sitting in (214) and I’m like seriously your going to do that indoors in a state where smoking indoors in public places is banned???”

Aaaaah classic Bs fans.

• TINMAN17 says:

It’s banned in Massachusetts too. But, we (Bostonians that smoke) smoke anywhere. Some of us are smart enough to find a bathroom though. Went to a Habs/Sabres game a few years ago at the Bell Centre and there was a lot of smoking going on in the restroom and I can definitely say that it was pot also. A guy in a Kovalev shirt wasn’t even hiding his pipe.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

48. Exit716 says:

Everyone’s favourite Boston Columnist KP Dupont says Winnipeg’s owners should be forced to cover losses up to 50 per cent of the salary cap.
    I get the impression that KP seems to be anti-Canadian and probably breaks out in hives every time he sets foot in our country.

• BsFanforLife says:

I dont think that is anti-Canadian at all actually. How is that any different than Glendale AZ paying $25 million to the NHL to cover the losses of the Coyotes?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Phoenix has no owner.

Glendale’s payment is a one-shot deal to give the league one more year to find one.

Wrong again, BS fan.

• TINMAN17 says:

He’s a di!do. I think it’s cute that he calls Subban out for Diving but not Chara in the same game. Sure Subban looked like an a-hole, but hey, if we get the call, that there is a veteran move. Chara gets bumped by a gimpy shouldered Lars Eller and acts like he got stabbed in the kidney and flops, got the PP, but we got a shorty. Maybe that’s why he doesn’t mention it. By the way, I’ve never watched a B’s game where Marchand doesn’t dive, he’s Boston’s Lapierrre.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

Memorial Cup is a great hockey tournament, it is on the tube every day! A couple of surprises so far. Every NHL scout in the land is here.

2011 SUMMIT INFORMATION

I received two letters pertaining to our Annual Hockey Inside Out Fan Weekend Summit. One from Anna Gainey thanking us for our donation of $1200 again this past year to the Gainey Children’s Foundation. Hockey Inside Out Hab Fans have now raised over $5000 in total for this charity. We are a very generous group!

I also received a letter from Reg Houle thanking us for our continued support. And that he will see us all at next years Summit

And below I received a letter reminding us that the dates for our next years Summit will be out at the end of July. I will pick the best dates that gives us a game Friday at Hurley’s and Saturday at the Bell Center.
    (give me your suggestions, early in the season or later ?)

So pay attention to the site so you do not miss out on 2011 Summit tickets that have to be paid and ordered well in advance.
    Some disappointed HIO people missed out on tickets last year because they were on summer vacation when we collected for the tickets and ordered them.

Dave Stubbs told me he is going to line up some players to hang out with us this year.

I will repost this a few more times so more people will be informed.

Dear Mr. Cobb,

On behalf of the entire Canadiens organization, I would like to thank you for your support during this past hockey season. Gathering a group of fans for a game at the Bell Centre requires a lot of time on the part of the group organizer. To that end, your involvement is greatly appreciated.

Though our playoff run was unfortunately too short, it was nevertheless exciting from start to finish. Pierre Gauthier and his team are already planning for next season and we feel we can build on a solid core of promising young players and talented veterans.

At the end of July, we will forward to you the official home game calendar for the 2011-12 season and all the details regarding group sales and our ice rental programs. The information will also be available at the same time on our Web site, canadiens.com.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a great summer – I’m looking forward to seeing you in September. Until then, please do not hesitate to communicate with me or our group sales team.

Regards,