The CHardiac Kids

469064-scott-gomez-marque-premier-but
Never in doubt, right?
Your Montreal Canadiens were cruising to a 3-0 win over the Islanders with less than three minutes to play.
And then …
But hey, three in a row.
And 11th place, baby!

And on the day the Roman Catholic diocese of Montreal ran newspaper ads urging parishioners to pray for the city’s hockey team, Scott Gomez scored a goal.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

J.T. talks to Ryan White

• Conference Board: Canada could support nine NHL teams

1. ZepFan2 says:

NM

———————————————————————-
    “Wins? We don’t need no stinkin’ wins!”

2. habstrinifan says:

From Mark DeLarosa of Bleacher report re Habs not picking up Anthony Stewart.

“although he’s having a down year, it should be noted that just about everyone on the Hurricanes roster has seen their production slip.

So, why not take the seemingly minuscule risk needed to pick up Stewart? Is there some can’t-miss prospect in the Habs’ organization that the team is saving a roster spot for? Is Gauthier worried about messing with the chemistry on a 13th-place team? Has Scott Gomez been such a revelation on the wing that there simply isn’t room for a waiver pickup?

Stewart is big, strong and he can contribute. I understand that he isn’t a franchise changer. His best days might even already be behind him. There also may be a reason that 29 other teams passed on him. I simply can’t understand what this team has to lose.

Mind you, there’s very little anyone can understand about this team at this point.”
    =========================
    Response comment from Dee Hoa:

“Ok, so Pierre Gauthier (and 28 other GMs I might add) decided not to pick up a “has-been 3rd line inconsistent player” and you’re calling him clueless and incompetent. That makes a lot of sense.

This team needs top line players who can score to improve. It doesn’t need more support players, because at a 1 million dollar price tag, I’d rather have young guys like Palushaj, White and Blunden (who are just as big and can skate) playing on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Most of all, the team doesn’t need “fans” who are quick to dish out the lame jokes about Gomez and where the team currently is in the standings. Seriously, looks like it doesn’t take much to become a Bleacher Report contributor around here.”.

Which side do you support. I am thinking that Habs biggest need next year is for that consistent 3rd/4th size line which can a) make room for our good present and prospect players and respond to the 3RD period weakness we have ( which could be due from not having real pushback grit). A cheap Stewart for the rest of the season may have given us a headstart. I know we need scoring and defense but I would give our prospects the chance to provide those.. surrouded by 3 or 4 players like Stewart. For one I would have Stewart for 2 yrs rather than Palushaj’s promise.

It would be nice to have had him in the line-up TONIGHT!

Aside: On days like today with games like tonight, Boone’s Blog should start at 6:00AM. What could be more important Boone? Load up the family in the wagon, take them to the Aunt and setup up shop in the basement for the day.

• Mark C says:

If we read between the lines it seems pretty obvious that something is really wrong with Anthony Stewart, or at least the entire league perceives this. Carolina already doesn’t want him after a few months, and the entire league passed on him while he only $300K more than the league minimum.

3. rhino514 says:

Does anyone remember how we ended up getting the nº5 pick overall in order to get Price?

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

@G-man …for Your viewing pleasure

…AND, for all other red-blooded males in HIO, whether You are a New York Giants’ fan , or not (and I am NOT :) )

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

5. The Jackal says:

Chris – FB is private in the sense that the individual makes it, but what is posted on it is public to whoever can see it. TT is aware of this and posts his political opinions on it – he must know they will garner some widespread attention.

• Chris says:

I’m not disputing this, although I do question why people care so much. I generally consider the average athlete to be as interesting as a lump of clay. There are exceptions…I would love to read an autobiography of a player like Igor Larionov

I’m disputing whether he has the right to cut off any discussions with journalists of said political opinions while he is at work.

Of course he knew that journalists would jump on it. For all I know, he’s getting his name out there for a potential run for politics when he finished (he is nearing the end of his athletic career) and is trying to establish his credentials.

But I always find it funny when somebody says “I’m not going to talk about _____ in this press scrum, so let’s please move on to something hockey related” and the very next question is about _________. It is ridiculous.

• Bill says:

He’s having a hell year. On the other hand, Bourque hasn’t been any better for us. At least he’s cheaper.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habsfan0 says:

Cammalleri has had a string of injuries over the last few years, possibly the most serious of which was the deep skate cut he incurred during the second game of the season in Winnipeg. He hasn’t been the same player since.

• habsperspective says:

All players that come to Montreal, and leave are usually finished. This town is a player killer.

• habsfan0 says:

Don’t tell that to John LeClair.

• Bigdawg says:

kind of refreshing to hear we don’t get rid of people who go off and do better on other teams for a change

this is simply the other extreme. HA you funny!

ever heard of ROY, GRABO, KOIVU, TANGS, CARBO, SKRUD, GAINY, RIBS, ODIE, DESJARDINS, CUBE, HAINSEY, LUDWIG, LEMIEUX, RICHER, and there are tons and tons and tons more…some have even gone on and still been impactful for years, even winning cups with other teams – Imagine!!

• rhino514 says:

Cammalleri shows up in the playoffs. That´s really what counts in today´s game. As a regular season trade, the trade was a good one. But the day the Habs do get back into the playoffs they will have one of the game´s best clutch performers missing, and that´s big.

6. MTLCANADIENS says:

if the habs win tomorrow, we might still have a chance for the playoffs..
    MUST WIN TOMORROW

• Bill says:

This is SILLY TALK.

There is NO chance of the playoffs. Can we get over this?

Let’s say the Habs beat the Leafs tomorrow. Let’s say. The the Habs would have 55pts to the Leafs 62.

Then let’s say the Leafs went a mediocre 12-10-4 down the stretch, while the Habs sizzled along at say 15-7-4.

That would leave the Leafs at 90pts, and the Habs at 89pts.

And that’s leaving it just between the Leafs and the Habs.

It’s not going to happen, no matter what happens tomorrow.

Full Breezer 4 Life

7. H.Upmann says:

Hahaha HH dropping some inner wisdom ;)

If Habs make the playoffs, that will be a miracle … And I just might make a pilgrimage to my beloved mtl

Obviously a team in the position the Habs are in has to keep three options open; to be sellers or buyers come the trade deadline or to stand pat. At the moment the Habs hold which of those destinies will be the one to choose in their collective hands but nothing is certain yet. An extension to this win streak and they are back in business, even as unlikely as that sounds, a string of losses and it doesn’t look like the play-offs will happen.

One thing for sure is Cunneyworth is trying new things lately. Limiting Gomez’ ice time for example to around 11 minutes per game. Rationing the minutes of whoever makes up the bottom 5 on the 7 man defensive unit. Plex with Darche and Moen as the defensive trio against the opponent’s top line.

So far it’s working. And it almost looks like a new allure team.

I still think the play-offs are a long shot, but I have to agree with the most optimistic thinkers here that the Habs still can make the them.

If by the trade deadline they are 6 points or better out you’ve got to figure they have to go for it. However if it’s 10 or more, then it might be time to cut losses and think about next season and further down the road.

I made a few projections for goals, assists and points this season for each player and it is interesting to see what the final tally will be. Who exceeded my expectations and prognostications and who fell short. I am also looking at data that I find interesting in terms of value or liability to the team, such notions as hits per minute played, plus/minus, takeaways versus giveaways, blocked shots, etc. There is a trend developing for who should be part of the future and who should not, according to the findings I am compiling.

Just a little caveat for those who want to trade Moen and/or Kostitsyn. You might want to re-think that tendency because if either or both of those players are not resigned, the Habs will be missing two very useful players and will be hard pressed to replace them.

I will in advance say that I think both Gomez and Kaberle hurt the team and I find both to be liabilities. Markov and Gionta should still be given a chance moving forward and I suspect both could have bounce back seasons. But they are both questions marks moving forward, for different reasons. Also, IMO only one of Weber or Diaz should be kept moving forward, my preference being Diaz.

More to come once the season ends but at least it is going to be interesting for the next few weeks. I think the fat lady got a little hoarse over the past few days.

I wont say that I have rediscovered my faith, only that I am embarking on a new inward journey.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

:) …o’ Dave …WHAT ??? would HIO be without Ya ???

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• NCRhabsfan says:

Don’t “go for it”! What is “it”? “It”is a losers game. Make the playoffs when you have a chance to actually win in the playoffs.

I’m not advocating that they “tank”. Rather, don’t try and pretty up an ugly picture. This is a bad team with some good parts. Get rid of the bad parts and/or the parts that don’t fit into the future picture to improve the team for next year. If they make the playoffs after that, fine, if they don’t, that’s fine too.

This “make the playoffs at any cost” attitude has just got to go.

• HardHabits says:

I totally agree. If they look like they can make it I’d rather they stand pat and not try to acquire some expensive piece that accomplishes nothing. Maybe if Markov is skating introduce him into the line-up gradually. I still think they should try to unload Kaberle and if a miracle can happen Gomez if the can, even if they look like they can make the play-offs, just because I am not very fond of either of those two players.

Apart from that I’d much rather see them pick 5th over-all then 10th or 12th.

• HabFab says:

Why tank you very much! I always knew there was a hockey man lurking within your “inner” self. I agree with most of your observations.

9. matt jordan says:

I hope Phoeniz moves to Quebec, just so Gary Bettman’s dream NHL of hockey teams in the desert is a total failure.

It really pissed him off that Winnipeg got its team through a sunbelt failure. Do you remember Bettman pushing money into Winnipeg, or Quebec like he does with Phoenix? Nope.

10. H.Upmann says:

Have to agree that HIO isn’t quite the same without SeriousFan’s prospect watches etc , and even going further back some of Lepage(?) pieces….

11. Stev.R says:

I think the pervading idea is that Montreal will try and draft a big center. Luckily, there is 4 available in this years draft:

Grigorenko – Slated to go number two so it may be unlikely that we will be able to get him. Left handed Russian who has scored 66 points in 45 games in the QMJHL. 6’2”, 191 lbs.

Galchenyuk – Slick American center who was considered a top two prospect before he went down with a season long injury. Mckenzie has him ranked 7th now. He could be one of only three real game changers in the draft, but injury may scare teams off. He had 31 goals and 52 assists as a rookie in the OHL last year. He was paired wit Yakupov though. He’s 6’1”, 185 lbs.

Faksa – The one we may end up drafting is Czech born Faksa. He’s a 6’3, 202 lb playmaker who has 22 goals and 26 assists in 43 games. He seems to me to be a good fit in MTL, especially with Pleks there to help him out. NHL.com has all three MTL picking him in all three of their mock drafts. He’s a humble kid. Article: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=615482

Gaunce – If we continue to win then we may end up drafting Gaunce, a well rounded centre from Belleville. He has 23 goals and 26 assists in 50 games. He is 6’2, 212 lbs and has good leadership qualities.

There is also Filip Forsberg who is listed as a winger someplaces, and as a center in others.

• Chris says:

Having watched Gaunce play a number of times in person (brother has season tickets with the Bulls), my assessment of Gaunce is that he’s a nice player, but he will be a slow developer. Good skater, good stickhandler, good positiong, but not great at anything. I wouldn’t count on him playing in the NHL for another 2-3 years, to be honest.

12. Al aboo says:

spotted eller, desharnais and gomez at the raptors game…………..

13. SmartDog says:

I hadn’t heard a lot of Knuckles Knilan until lately. Man, he’s a cool dude. And he’s totally straight-up. On the air today he says “if I’m Molson at the end of the year I say you’ve done some good things, made some good trades and signings, but the team’s not headed in the right direction – and then I’d say ‘you’re fired'” LOL Nice.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’m a fan of Nilan, but his decision making hasn’t been the best.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• SmartDog says:

Yeah I can see that. He totally just puts what he thinks out there, no holding back. In this case I think it’s good both because I agree and because I think most media people do but they can’t just SAY it so directly. So it’s good to hear.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

14. Paulin98C says:

@habitant in surrey

Re: team in Halifax

I hope it never happens… I’ve been living here for 12 years and planning to stay for like 20 more. As much as I love the Habs, I would have to cheer and support the local team because they would need all the help they could get in order to survive. I don’t want to cheer for anything otter than bleu blanc rouge.

You are a dedicated fan! Cheers to you. I am torn as I was so happy to see Jets back in my hometown. Granted they were never #1 on my list so my happiness was for the people of the ‘peg, the less fortunate aka non Hab Fans.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

:) understand where You are coming from Paulin, but I have lived pretty well equally in Vancouver and Quebec over past 45 years,including last 15 years in BC …I still wake up each morning to read THE MONTREAL GAZOOTE …and, obviously am still EXCLUSIVELY a Habs’ Fan :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

15. SmartDog says:

The Hype TSN tries to pump into trades this time of year is so pathetic it’s laughable. Every couple of days I click the link that says “see today’s trade rumours from around the league” and it’s Dreger saying this team might be interested in that guy, or this GM says he’s not trading this guy. That’s it! Exciting! LOL

The one interesting thing on TSN today is the article on Grabovski. He still hates the Habs and says this: “I always say thanks to (former Habs GM) Bob Gainey because he traded me,” said Grabovski, who has repeatedly stated his intention to re-sign with the Leafs.’ TSN guestimates that Grabs will sign for about $5 million/year or more. Plekanec money. He’s on pace for 27 goals.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Bill says:

Ugh, Grabovski. I can only pray that Burke signs him for a long-term deal at over five million. PLEASE. He’s a career-best 58-point player. And he does nothing defensively … he’s got two more points than Plekanec this season, but he’s no Plecanek.

On top of that, he’s a frigging knob. Fits in nicely on Toronto.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• SmartDog says:

Total knob. True dat.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Chris says:

Grabovski is certainly not as good defensively as Plekanec, but he was +3 (2nd best on the team) in 2009-10 for a team that was -24.

Grabovski was a team-best +14 last year on a team that was -22.

Grabovski is 3rd on the team at +7 this year for a team that is +13 overall, despite his usual linemates (Kulemin and MacArthur) slumping badly.

Despite playing top-6 minutes for the past 2 seasons on one of the worst defensive teams in the league, Grabovski ended up as a “+” player. He may not be a defensive wizard, but his line generally out-performs whoever they are matched against. That is worth something.

• Bill says:

I hate to get all Corsi about this, but +/- sucks as a stat. Meaningless. Grabovski isn’t played against high quality opposition. Even Leaf fans admit he sucks defensively, and you know how blinded those guys can be to the faults of their players. He’s going to get big bucks, and I hope it’s the Leafs who give that cap space to a truly one-dimensional player.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Chris says:

+/- is not a meaningless stat and I don’t frankly care whether he plays against high quality opposition.

Hockey players, whether 1st or 4th liners, NHL players or beer league players, have one sole job when they play hockey. Score more than the other team.

+/- as a statistic proves that in the role that Grabovksi is called on to perform, he is a positive influence on the game.

Like I said…he is not even close to Plekanec. But he doesn’t have to be. Wayne Gretzky was one of the worst defensive forwards, but it didn’t much matter because he spent 99% (like how I chose that number?! ;) ) of his time in the offensive zone. But when the game WAS close, you would never see Gretzky on the ice…Sather went with Messier instead. So you could argue that Gretzky, who generally saw the Carbonneaus and Linsemans and Poulins and Grahams, was not playing against high quality opposition. He was playing against defensive forwards holding on for dear life and trying to minimize the damage.

And before I get accused of it, I am of course not even coming close to suggesting that Grabovski could even hold Gretzky’s jock-strap. I merely use the most extreme example possible to illustrate that a player does not have to be a “good defensive player” to be a net positive on his team’s fortunes. He simply has to do his job.

If the Leafs gave him $5 M per season, I would frankly be shocked. But I could easily see him settling on a longer term $4 M per year deal, and that would probably be fair for a guy who will get you 45-60 points per season.

• HardHabits says:

I disagree Bill and agree with Chris on this. +/- is a very good stat to consider when measuring a player’s usefulness. For example Plekanec’ this season is one of the reasons why the Habs are doing so poorly. The bottom line is a team needs to score more goals than gets scored upon. Who is on the ice when that happens is significant. Goals count. Not shots at or toward the net or duration of puck possession. +/- is significant. Fenwick and Corsi are not.

• Bill says:

@Chris and HH

+/- really does mean nothing IMO because it doesn’t consider what you’re being asked to do. Grabovski’s +/- can’t be compared to Plekanec’s because one is asked to perform against the Malkins of the league while the other is asked to perform against the likes of Gomez.

It’s great that Grabovksi has outscored the other teams’ secondary lines by a marginal amount, but if you don’t care what kind of opposition he’s getting his 58 points against … well, let’s say that a hockey coach probably would think different. A guy like Grabovski is great at $3 million. Over $5 million, not so much. And that was my only point.

And Chris, don’t be shocked when he gets it!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mark C says:

Why is a stat the equally measures offensive and defensive output, considered a good measure of defensive ability or production?

It’s not that the +/- stat is not worthwhile, it’s just so wildly missed used. It’s not an offensive stat. It’s not a defensive stat. It merely states players on ice goal for/goal against ratio at even strength. At best, it only paints half the picture of any players defense.

• Chris says:

Of course it is misused. I have yet to see a stat that isn’t misused.

Shooting percentage, save percentage, time on ice, giveaways/takeaways, hits….every one of them is a questionable statistic in its own right.

A stat that equally measures offensive and defensive output is a good measure of defensive ability or production because you can’t be scored on if you are in the offensive zone scoring yourself. When you take it as a relative measure, comparing it to the team performance, than it DOES become a starting point for a player’s defensive ability. There are many players in the NHL that score far more often than Grabovski yet they end up as minus players on the season. So he’s clearly not as inept as people would have us believe…his +/- is not a Gretzky case of just scoring so much that the other team can’t possibly keep up.

You of course have to supplement these things with what your eyes tell you. Plekanec is a wonderful defensive player because of his penalty killing and ability to hound opposing centres. And his +/- generally supports that observation…he has struggled at times this season, and he is a minus player for only the second time in his career, the other time being his abysmal 2008-09 season.

16. WestHab says:

I would like to share my Gomez Goal moment with you first off. I had PVRed the game . Just after Numero onzzze one timered that patty into history I paused the thing and climbed from the Man cave to the kitchen to pour myself a shot of tequila. I did not expect him to also obtain the winning marker .

There may be more reason for optimism after three win a row but I’d be happy to just cause injury to the leafs hopes by beating them demain soir . Has Bam Bam Bam been in TO yet? Every time I watch this guy he gets better. He more than a great hitter he can move da puck as well. Good suff coming from #74.

“Merci beaucoup.” Randy Cunnyworth

• SmartDog says:

I’m a huge Emelin fan too. Great addition to the team. Talk about sandpaper, this guy’s a big bag of bricks.

Here’s my Gomez goal story: I was watching the game, Gomez scored. It was a good shot. Nice to see. I went and fed the cat who was meowing. I think that’s it. Oh yeah – I turned the dishwasher on.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I read the projection on behalf of the Conference Board of Canada analyzing the viability of new potential Canadian NHL franchises

…Quebec City and Hamilton determined by they as the 2 only viable at this time

…I wonder if they are underestimating Halifax’s potential on the ‘build it and they will come’ philosophy ? …would be wonderful for Canadian franchises to exist coast to coast (with apology to My beloved Newfoundland :) ) …is drawing sufficient attendance and franchise support from New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia not doable ? …it would take a Winnipeg-like communal obsession and effort to make it viable, but there must be as much hockey-passion in the Maritimes as anywhere else in Canada …n’est ce pas ?

…was surprised the Toronto Raptors out-draw the Weeds per game …I guess ticket pricing and ‘entertainment value’ :) explains that

…finally, re Quebec City …I hated the Quebec Nordiques with an addled passion when in the NHL …so what I say here is not without significant Hab-absorbed bias …but if I was Geoff Molson behind the scenes, maybe I would be enthusiastic for a new Quebec City rivalry on one hand for the passion that it will create to replace the waning rivalry with the Weeds or indifference most Fans feel towards the Ottawa Senators …but, on the OTHER hand I would be very wary and concerned about COST to the Montreal Canadiens annual bottom-line in the year-end financial report

…a new Quebec City franchise will mean splitting-away 40 % to 50 % of corporate advertising revenues, sweater sales and fan support within the Province of Quebec …this will certainly have longterm financial repercussions in a province struggling economically and population wise

…are there any economists and marketing experts among Us that agree or disagree with Me that a new Quebec Nordiques NHL team will mean serious financial impacts to the Montreal Canadiens ?

…will be interested to hear Your thoughts

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Bill says:

I live in Moncton, and I can’t see driving to Halifax in the winter to see NHL hockey more than twice a year.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…communal season ticket sales/sharing ? …just brain-storming
        …what We know, there is significant hockey obsession in the Maritimes spead-over a disparate area
        …it’s figuring-out a doable solution

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Bill says:

As a Maritimer for life, I have to admit it’s just too small. The HRM is geographically enormous, but the population is under 500,000. You’d have to get at least 10% attending nearly every other game …

I’d love to see it, but nah. The CFL would be nice! Though I think it would work better in Moncton. There’s actually a larger population within two hours of Moncton than within two hours of Halifax, btw.

Full Breezer 4 Life

18. The Jackal says:

TT didn’t specify what his affiliation was, but it is implied he is pro-small government, so Republican or Tea Party at the most extreme. Not that there is something wrong with having an opinion but a lot of what they stand for today is very against the times. And Shiloh, I agree with your comments too but I like the activeness of this site.

19. The Jackal says:

Chris I agree with your take on TT and his opinions. But athletes express them at their peril and they should be aware of any repercussions. And just as they are free to express their views as are we to disagree. And I disagree 100% with his political views.

20. ABHabsfan says:

So on CBSSN right now N. Dakota playing Minn. Duluth. 3 Habs prospects in the game. Kristo and mark MacMillan for N.D. and Scott Kishel (defense) for Minn. D. I’m still trying to figure out what # they are. Pretty sure McMillan is #16

21. jedimyrmidon says:

So the guy, George Parros, who had the next longest goal-less streak in the league just scored tonight. Pretty crazy.

22. manu07 says:

Since when do you have to be a nice guy in the NHL. Look. Most athletes have a bit of a chip on there shoulder. PK is no different. I prefer a player like PK who competes. Sure he makes mistakes but the effort is there most nights, rather then a player like Gomez, Mr. Feel bad for me because i am a nice person. screw that. Pk is a keeper

23. immortalhab says:

Dd is one of their two or three best players right now. If you don’t think so, I suggest reading Hockey for Dummies if you can handle the big words.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

He certainly creates a lot and plays a fearless game, and makes tight passes in traffic.. I don’t think he is a player you can bank on.. sophomore jinx potential.. I like watching him play though.

• LafleurFan says:

In the spirit of poking fun, a kind of non-biting humour, I think Mr. Biter was thinking of DD’s size as a minus in PK duties. Where can I find the latest copy of this book?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mr. Biter says:

It was a Sarcastic look at what the tankers want. DD was put on the PK unit for his size only. He is one of my Favorite Habs and a role model for anyone that small players can play in the NHL and one of our untouchables. God, can’t even have any fun on a Friday night.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• LafleurFan says:

Last season, Pacioretty called DD the best hockey player he’s ever played with. Hey, from someone who came from and loves the ‘Peg, to you Mr. B., keep in mind some of the posters resemble Leaf fans.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mr. Biter says:

If Cammy was still here he would have been on the PK not DD. Also I hope your not calling me a “Leaf poster” (if that was your meaning), as Them’s fighting words in our house. 2 years ago when the Habs and Leafs were playing around Christmas time Myself, Daughter and 3 year old (all wearing our Habs jersey’s) went to walk her dog during a period break. The neighbour is wearing his leafs jersey while BBQing and Adam the 3 year at the time yells out to him “Leafs Sucks”. I teach them well. BTW I live in the Peg.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Mr. Biter says:

Local Peg. saying:
            You can take the girl out of Transcona, but you can never take Transcona out of the girl.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

24. Higman says:

Let’s see if WHITE can bang a few in tonight. He’s already throwing the checks. Looks psyched!
    ————–

25. ont fan says:

lou Lamoriello and Brian Lawton were talking about building a cup champ..they agreed that a very good defense is the key..a good goalie and opportunistic forwards will be a winner. If you go after a star it should be your defencemen.

26. ed lopaz says:

so it seems like many people have us probably picking 8th at the draft.

and the consensus 8th pick is….Radek Faksa, a centreman playing for the Kitchener Rangers who has come over from the Czech Republic.

jeff skinner and gabriel landeskog both just graduated from the Kitchener program, and their coach is comparing Faksa to that type of player!!

he is already over 200 lbs and the coach says he will top out at around 220 – as a centreman – that’s very big.

He is scoring and playing all three zones – very heavy hitter as well.

He sounds great to me!

Here is a link to a good article written about Faksa.

He sounds like a really excellent prospect- I have never seen him play.

(guess who his agent is??) – Alan Walsh (remember him?)

Maybe someone out there from Kitchener can tell us about the kid.

• HabFanSince72 says:

If these bloody fools keep trying to prove they’re not a bad team we might be picking 15th.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Seps says:

Believe it or not, I’m from Kitchener and I’ve had the privilege to see many future nhler’s develop, Faksa is a big kid out there, rarely does a player get a good hit on him. He has a scoring touch and he isn’t Russian so he’s not going to be taking nights off. Hard working guy though, center power forward, and he shows promise to be a great nhl player. I’d rather have him over Nail or Grigorenko.

Edit: his talent might not be at a Yakupov level but his head is all together whereas Yakupov scares me and Grigorenko reminds me too much of Semin as a player. Also word of note, Faksa’s line looked the best in the CHL prospect game.

• ed lopaz says:

I like much of what you posted – especially “hard working”.

Seps, you should not judge ALL Russian players as “taking nights off”.

There are some, like Datsyuk, who are amongst the hardest workers in hockey.

I think Datsyuk might be the best player in the game now that Crosby is out.

And what can be said about Malkin this year?

He is likely the NHL MVP at this point in the season,

So keep up the scouting reports from Kitchener, buddy, I think its

great to have you here at HIO.

• Seps says:

True true, Kovalchuk is the complete package I think as well but there’s always that unknown factor and I would be soo upset if we had a top 3 pick and the player didn’t fan out.

And thank you, I’ll do my best.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I’d be sooooooo stoked to get Faska. Nice thing about this draft is the number of big centers, so as long as we’re in the top ten we should be able to grab one.

• Chris says:

Even if you aren’t in the top-10. Defencemen are expected to rule the roost in the draft…Grigorenko and Yakupov are going 1/2, but after that, this draft is a crap shoot. So many good defencemen and so many serious injuries to top prospects (Frk, Galchenyuk, Koekkoek, Murray and Rielly…even Yakupov is battling a back injury) means that there will probably be some serious discrepancies between rankings and when a player is ultimately drafted.

On the down side, this draft is not particularly deep in elite level players that can contribute right away. It is deep in good players that will contribute in 2-4 years time.

Galchenyuk is the wildcard center…he has the talent to be as good as Grigorenko or Yakupov, but the team that takes him is taking a risk on that knee injury and the lack of development time for him this season.

27. habstrinifan says:

Man I wish we could have called up a big body for tomorrow’s game! It’s gonna be war I think.

28. habstrinifan says:

So say we make the playoffs.. and go on to win the Stanley Cup! Gonez’s goal would then have to go down as one of the biggest in Habs history. So based on that scenario does Gomez go down in Habs Hall of Fame.

29. Shane1313 says:

Just watched Emelin’s hits and PK’s hits on youtube. Man just another indication of how we are getting more physical. Subby doesn’t get that much praise for it either. They’re almost all perfectly clean too!!

30. habstrinifan says:

First chance to post since 3rd win in a row. Cool Feeling!

But let me give the obligatory Bertuzzi countdown.

Math according to Bertuzzi the Bullish. 10-3-7!

3 wins 7 more to go fot Bertuzzi’s 10 IN A row!

Think it’s time for the Bertuzzi for Prime Minister buttons!

On the same note… Man I would give my soul for a beatdown on the scoreboard and in the corners of the Leafs tomorrow!

31. Sportfan says:

With this craptacular season and the many ups and downs is it a bad thing that i rather us crap out at this point and get a top 5 pick ?

Don’t get me wrong i love the habs so much but it would be nice to have a top pick and build for a great next season

• GrimJim says:

Hey, HH, there’s a convert knocking on your turret hatch…

• Sportfan says:

I’m just saying it would be nice to have a top pick I mean if we make the playoffs I’ll cheering my ass off for them and i havent given up trust me

• Mr. Biter says:

You’ll know when we start tanking because Cunny will be told to play Budda for the rest of the season, and the PK will have DD, Eller, Gomez and Borque as the 1st unit and the PP could stay the same but just to make it easier, first PP unit, Gill, Campoli, Georges, PK and Gomez.
          That would be called tanking.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

32. Danno says:

Is Ryan White back tomorrow against the Leafs?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

33. GrimJim says:

@Ian Cobb
    Sorry, my mistake. It’s allhabs.net
    Or google “Catching the Torch”

34. HabFanSince72 says:

The argument that #1’s don’t automatically go on to win the cup is specious. First, as everyone realizes, it’s a team game. There is no position in hockey that is like QB in football or starting pitcher in baseball. Even goalie is not as crucial, although it comes close.

Moreover, a lot of #1 picks go to bad organizations (why do you think they finished last?).

If you look back at the last ten years’ worth of #1 or #2 draft picks, they are almost all all-stars. The only #1 pick of the last decade who could be called a bit of a bust is Erik Johnson and he’s still very good (Toews was #3 that year…). There hasn’t been a total bust since 1999.

So the point is that for a good team like the Habs, with good coaching and scouting, a good farm system, and the willingness to spend the cap to make the team competitive, a #1 pick would be extremely useful.

Montreal has not had a player like Stamkos or Tavares on its roster in a long long time. The only way we will ever get one is through the draft. You can’t build a team through free agency anymore. Just ask Bob Gainey.

We have had one top-5 draft pick in the last 30 years! And he happens to be our best player.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

35. Mr. Biter says:

Saturday night game vs Leafs biggest game of the season (up till now). We win 7 points behind Laffs 8 behind Sens (with 2 games in hand) if they lose. If we lose big , big problem. Most must win game of the season so far. Go Habs Go.
    I am one of the 26%.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

36. LafleurFan says:

In Datsyuk’s draft year, he scored 10 goals. His highest NHL total is 32. Makes me feel even better about trading a 9th rounder for Eller.

Hindsight says it would have been better to keep McDonaugh but if we had to give up one of the 2008 draftees, I think we kept the right (insert Darren Pang here) ones in PK and Max-Pac.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

The “nicest” Bruin turns out to be an epic jerk.

How surprising.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chuck says:

As a public figure, he makes his points-of-view known on his Facebook page, then isn’t willing to publicly comment about his public comments in public.

Huh?

• HabFanSince72 says:

It’s called “turtling”.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chris says:

As a public figure, he makes his points of view known on his PERSONAL Facebook page. There is a difference.

As much as I disagree with Thomas’ viewpoint, I agree with his opinion that athletes are entitled to have opinions. That some people choose to put more value in his opinions because he is a hockey player (and this, to me, is more condemning of the reader than the writer) is their prerogative. But getting bent out of shape when he refuses to answer questions regarding his personal life at work is not a problem for me…I do the exact same thing myself.

Thomas’ refusal to attend the White House was a mistake and childish and he deserved the recriminations he suffered for it.

But this is something else entirely.

• Chuck says:

It might be his personal Facebook page, but the comment wasn’t set as ‘private’… thus, it’s public, and fair game for the media to question him about it. If he truly meant for it to be private, he would have set the security accordingly, or not posted it on his Facebook page at all. If the comment going public was a mistake, he should have said, “I’m sorry, but my comment wasn’t for public consumption, thus I’m not going to answer questions about it.”

• Chris says:

My point was not that the comment was set to public, merely that his Facebook page is in no way connected to the team and therefore he is free to say whatever he wants.

And he is equally free (and should be encouraged) to not talk about what he writes on his personal webpages when he is at work.

I am all for separation of work and private life, even for professional athletes. If he had said this during a discussion with reporters in the dressing room, or issued a statement through the team, then sure…fair game.

But if it is in his personal life, reporters can ask and he can tell them that he isn’t talking about that during a Bruins function. If they want to pursue it with him, post on his Facebook page. :)

• Bill says:

Facebook isn’t private. It’s a public proclamation on the internet.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Chris says:

Facebook is not a required duty of his job as a Boston Bruins goaltender. Therefore, what he does on it is private, regardless of whether you or I can read it.

I should have said separation of personal and work life. That would remove all ambiguity.

• Duracell3 says:

“responds” may be a bit of a misnomer.

37. LafleurFan says:

Top 10 Scorer’s draft positions:
    Malkin- 2nd overall
    Giroux- 22nd (we took Fisher @ 20)
    Stamkos- 1st
    Kessel- 5th
    Lupul- 7th
    Henrik- 3rd
    Daniel- 2nd
    Datsyuk- 171st, 6th round
    Eberle- 22nd
    Spezza- 2nd

Malkin and Datsyuk have Rings

“May you live in interesting times.”

38. HabsFan82 says:

IMO these lines have the best chance at making the playoffs

72 51 67
    27 14 46
    32 81 71
    ?? 11 52

• VancouverHab says:

If 51 is our first-line centre, then we tank now.

A good third-line centre on the top line means we have no plan, no intention, and absolutely no hope of succeeding. It means we want to lose.

Some DD fans are like Beliebers in their fanboi excitements….

• HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t understand why you say he’s a 3rd liner. He’s is an excellent playmaker (leads the team in assists).

Sure DD is not Sidney Crosby or Henrik Sedin (no one on the Habs is – remotely) but he is clearly our most creative playmaking centre right now.

And let’s not forget that he was not made #1 centre, he became our #1 centre when his line became our #1 line.

It must be remembered that initially the #1 line was Plex/Cammy/Gionta (with AK46 sometimes replacing a winger). DD’s line only became the number one by virtue of their results.

I realize you think Gomez should rightfully be centering Cole and Pacioretty. You are the only person in the world, including Scott, Scott’s dad, and Scott’s mom, who believes that.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

39. jon514 says:

Hey! White had 2 goals in his first game conditioning with the bulldogs. This kid doesn’t miss a beat :D!

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

40. manu07 says:

Maybe PG should go after Stasny. Colorado would probably like a guy like AK or plecks for the playoffs. I think he is a great young player that maybe need a better fit. Maybe his style would be better fit in the east.

41. GSP says:

We made another video!

Scott Gomez: History Will Be Made

Enjoy!

__________________________
    Saku Koivu is a Hero.

42. The Jackal says:

I hope the Habs keep winning and we knock some poor team off 8th place, that would be awesome. If we don’t make the playoffs and don’t get a good draft pick, it’s not the end of the world. This team ain’t so bad, we have a good core that is only getting better, and some promising prospects. While it would be cool to get a high pick, I think the team is better than its record, and no matter what happens this season, next season will be much better.

• jon514 says:

Would you still feel that way if we lose the next 3 games (2 of which are against Toronto and Boston)?

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

• LafleurFan says:

Rational and thoughtful insights. Some emotional fans think championships are built with ONE 1st overall pick. Still waiting for Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tavares, and others to get their first. Given that they play on different teams, one or more of them may never get one. Raymond Bourque got one but it was contrived (I know he was not 1st overall).

“May you live in interesting times.”

• G-Man says:

Remember, around HIO losing is the watchword. Habs have to lose to win. It’s the latest in doublethink.
      My best scenario is the Habs knocking off the laffs to capture 8th and dropping the laffs into 9th. If that happens, my ass would fall off.
      The Habs aren’t as bad as the current record. I want the team to win and keep winning. F*** losing.

43. thorandresson says:

What ever happened to the weekly or was it monthly prospect reports?

• shiram says:

Seriousfan09 decided to stop posting on here because of a piece the Gazette put out about Theo Fleury.

• thorandresson says:

Really? That’s a shame. Sounds a bit Tim Thomasesque

• GrimJim says:

Serious is still doing the reports at allhabs.com

• kholdstare says:

and pointless.

• neumann103 says:

It was a little more than that. Mr Hickey wrote a column that crossed the line into victim blaming which generally is considered a no-no in the world of sexual abuse survivors.

The original post is here

there were followups, TV appearances etc. Google “Pat Hickey Theoren Fleury Graham James” if you want to read the full story.

I never liked Fleury as a player. He seemed like a dick. But Hickey seemed to have no understanding that sexual predators like Graham James are successful because they make their targets feel special and cared for. The kids feel guilt for denying them, validation from their attention. Many remain “friends” even after the abuse stops and these scum move on to the next generation. This was true with Fleury and James. It was also true with Kennedy and James.

When called on it, Hickey’s initial response was to double down rather than gracefully admit that perhaps he had erred. This was compounded by the fact that he contrasted Fleury’s failings with Sheldon Kennedy, despite the fact that you could apply virtually all of Mr Hickey’s criticism of Fleury to Mr Kennedy. He was factually wrong in multiple instances of contrasting the heroism of the latter to the enabling behaviour of the former.

I think that calling for Hickey’s firing was over the top. Even if he was wrong, that is not a free speech road we ought to travel. But I agree with the sentiment expressed by Robert Rice that Mr Hickey ought to:
          – get the facts right
          – educate himself on the range of common behaviours of victims of sexual abuse
          – stop digging the hole deeper

SeriousFan09 wanted Mr Hickey to apologize. Not quit. Not retire. Just admit that maybe trying to stage a public showdown on TSN’s “Someone Please Change The Channel With Michael Landsberg” was not the appropriate response to penning an opinion column that mistated facts and misunderstood generally well understood behaviour of victims.

There are lots of places to discuss all things Habs. Mr Rice took his thoughts elsewhere. This forum is poorer for it.

“Et le but!”

• joeybarrie says:

I am saddened by the news that Robert has let someone else’s opinion discourage him from continuing here. In my opinion in journalism there is reporting the news and giving opinions on the subject. I disagree with a lot that Jack Todd has to say, but I don’t stop reading the rest of the Gazette because of it.
        I liked Roberts posts, and find this site a little less cause of this. However, I believe in freedom of the press and freedom of speech. Plus I did not completely disagree with the article. It makes some good points. But in the end I find that not writing the articles simply hurts Robert, and the rest of us who liked reading them. I don’t feel it had any other effect.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, it’s too bad Robert made this decision, I miss his contributions.

EDIT: I think we have to respect his decision, even if it costs us a valued contributor to this forum, or if we disagree with it. If you remember the discussions that surrounded Mr. Hickey’s articles, there was a lot of emotion and some posters had some very personal reactions to it and the treatment given to Theo Fleury. This wasn’t a trivial spat or someone pouting and deciding not to play anymore.

This week’s prospect roundup is linked below.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• bleedhabs81 says:

I think a better way to respect his decision is to not post a link to his prospect round up.

He was pissed at the gazette (and this forum) and he decided he didn’t want to contribute to it anymore. Posting his work (or a link to his work) here is kind of violating his stance on posting here, don’t you think?

I might be sensationalizing it, but I think his approval should be sought before posting anything of his here (or links to him).

• Un Canadien errant says:

Unless I hear otherwise, I don’t think so bleedhabs. On his ‘farewell’ post, he invited everyone to visit him at allhabs.net, so it’s not like he wanted to go underground or cutting all ties with posters from this site. He wasn’t burning bridges, he just declined to participate here and told everyone where he’d be. I guess I’m just passing on the info about where to find him.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

44. alwayssunny says:

Now that we are in the thick of a playoff race, I think it is clear that we are buyers again. The important thing is to make the playoffs at any cost and keep those revenues flowing. After that, anything can happen. Kaberle and Gomez could revert to the players they were many years ago, Price could play like the great goalie we all know he will be someday. Who knows?

I don’t think Mr. Gauthier and Mr. Gainey should even wait until the deadline. Another center would help. If they can get a small speedy center for a couple of draft picks they will be all over it. Another guy who can fill that role until Gallagher gets here.You can never have too many of them. And I like the talk about moving Moen. He is clearly a player that does not fit the mold here. I think a package with him and Ryan White and Ian Schultz could get us a nice project. It’s an exciting time of year.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Sarcasm?

• rhino514 says:

Getting rid of Kaberle won´t affect the team at all and will free up a ton of money. Otherwise they are stuck for two more years with that salary. Kaberle is definitely not going to be the difference between us making the playoffs or not. Besied, Markov is skating again and should be back by the end of the month. Even a Markov on one leg is a more complete player than Kaberle.

45. I really don’t get the hate-on for Kaberle and the sweeping desire to trade him. Sure he costs $4M, but he’s also put up 14 points in 26 games. That puts him right on track to be a 45-55 point guy across a full season — right where he’s been for years. That’s what it costs to land one of the better puck-moving defencemen in the league. He’s just 33, and he’s only got the one year on his contract after this one — it isn’t like we’ve signed another Gomez…

If he’d been a Blue Jacket instead of a Leaf, we’d all have thrown him a parade when we landed him in exchange for a 37-year-old who hasn’t scored more than 21 points in three years, for about the same cap hit. I love Spacek and the heart he poured into the team, but come on, Kaberle is a clear upgrade.

• Some people talk hockey, and some people know hockey. You Sir are one of the few that can do both.

Thumbs Up On Kaberle, it had to be done.

I’ll take Kaberle over Spacek any day.

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• Aw, thanks Shane!

• jon514 says:

I remember back when Markov used to play for the habs… every time we would play Pittsburgh or Toronto I used to dream of a PP with Markov and Kaberle, or Markov and Gonchar on the points. We are actually close to making this happen!

Anyone notice how Czech players historically seem to be able to weather the storm of the Montreal media with grace and consistently play their best hockey here? More Czechs please!

“Let’s be clear on the facts…”

• shiram says:

It’s actually 2 other seasons at a cap hit of 4.25 millions.
      He is paid 4 millions this season, next season he is paid 4.25 millions, and after that 4.5millions.

• DorvalTony says:

Ah the braying morons take a personal dislike to various players: Richer, even Saint Patrick during the Detroit slaughter game, Brisebois, Jacques Lemaire, Bobby Rousseau, Terry Harper etc etc etc. It’s basically anonymous cowards who would never say anything to the player’s face. Safety of the nosebleed seats or of the Internet. There’s no coward like a bully.

• PrimeTime says:

The extremist Hab fans dis any player that isn’t a future Hall of Famer. They think the team should be full of them as if this was pre 1980.

“Gomez can’t hear what you’re saying because his ears are blocked with his 2 Stanley Cup rings”.

• Bripro says:

I wrote earlier that Kaberle is soft. He IS soft. I don’t question his ability to carry the puck into the offensive zone and make sure it stays in there. Most of the time, that’s when the team is on the power play.
      However, at 5 on 5, I find he’s weak. His pivots are slow, he doesn’t dig in the corners, preferring to stand behind the player to see which direction he’ll take. That’s not a bad strategy, but sometimes you’ve got to get your hands dirty.
      And he clears the puck in a panic a little too often when there’s pressure in our D zone. IMO, that’s fairly obvious with his +/- of -14.
      Pleks is also there, but he’s face-to-face with every team’s top players, all the time.
      The first three games after Kaberle arrived, he seemed to show the energy and creativity he possessed during his best years with the Laffs.
      But I find he’s slumping into the same style that frustrated Carolina.
      I think we’re very close to having a very effective line with the young D, PK and Gorges, and it might be worth considering trading Kaberle while his value is still there.

• rhino514 says:

It is like Gomez-Lite. He is a one dimensional player who is going to average, when all is said and done, about one point every two games, and maybe a couple of goals. The team´s power play has not improved with him on the team. What does he bring, then? The coach doesn´t like to play him more than 10-12 min a game. So basically you have a guy brought in just for the PP who hasn´t improved the PP. And what the team really needed on the PP was a consistent shot from the point, which he no longer has.
      Nothing againsta Kaberle personally, seems like a nice guy, but they HAVE to get rid of his salary.

• G-Man says:

2 more seasons on the Kaberle contract. I still agree 100%.

46. AndyF says:

I hope the Habs lose the next few games, just so that someone in Habs head-office can start seeing straight.

Yes, the Cage-Aux_Sports will love the extra beer revenue from a few more days of hope.

But please… let’s stop this nonsense. Our rental players are losing value every day they continue to help us win. Moen, Gill, Kostitsyn, Campoli, Darche, and the gang should be traded as soon as possible so that we can get on with the job of drafting high and plentifully.

Wouldn’t you like to see the following picks in this year’s draft: 3rd, 32nd, 44th, 57th, 68th, 86th, 115th, 144th, 160th, and 173rd ?

Having a lot of picks in the later rounds has a tremendous benefit, as you never know who will make it big. Having twice as many later draft picks is a huge advantage.

So, c’mon — enough with the false hope. Let’s start doing things to really improve this team!

• G-Man says:

That’s right. Winning is nonsense. Doh!

• AndyF says:

It just depends on your time-frame. If you want to win in the long-run, then you need to prepare for it. Otherwise, every win is a lost draft position.

Even Tour de France riders know that you can only peak a couple of times a season, and you have to be ready to lose a battle to win the war.

Somehow, the Habs have never done this because they’ve been busy selling beer to people who think their team has a chance to win the Cup every single year. Result: no Cup since 1993.

Quit thinking like a player. Start thinking like a GM…

• chemic says:

Tour de France riders are all freaking cheaters and drug addicts! really a bad example to make your point.

how about the idea of raising trade value by actually playing good hockey. no one makes a trade for players who sucks on a bad team.

• AndyF says:

Umm… if you don’t think there’s drugs in pro hockey, you’ve got blinders on. I think you should wake the frick up. I can truly say that you probably know nothing about the reality of pro sports.

And I don’t mean just Pseudophedrine or caffeine. I mean EPO, anabolic steroids, autologous blood doping, and every kind of stimulant you can imagine. It’s in hockey, just the same way it’s in cycling. Not everyone, and not all the time, but … well, you might want to rethink your world view.

Athletes all work the same way. You train, you peak, you recover. Lather, rinse, repeat. You can’t win every game, you can’t win every season, and you work with the cycles.

47. EdSmith says:

Regarding high-stick goals and contact above the level of the crossbar:

Find a hockey net, or put a piece of tape on the wall at the level of the crossbar. Measure your shoulder height while standing, while crouching, while bending your knees just a little like Matt Moulson did (or Arron Asham earlier this year). Compare the heights….

A 6’1″ man – without considering the added height of skates – who contacts a puck at shoulder height will while upright or nearly so will ALWAYS contact the puck above the crossbar.

I am 5’6″ and I have to be practically sitting down before my shoulders are at ~4 feet, and that’s while barefoot! It’s not a matter of “inconclusive camera angles”, it’s a matter of Geometry 101 that everyone should understand out of grade school!

Moulson’s goal should have been called back. Asham’s goal should have been called back. Who knows how many other goals over the years – against the Habs and other teams – should have been disallowed but weren’t because the referees – and worse, the guys in Toronto with the benefit of replay – can’t understand basic geometry and spatial skills? It’s not only the impact on a given game that annoys me, but the blatant display of sheer stupidity that is being allowed.

• savethepuck says:

When I saw the replay it was obvious to me that the puck was on a downward trajectory and went in just under the crossbar over Carey’s shoulder. Video review is definitely not allowed to take common sense into account either. With today’s technology, you’d think the NHL would figure out some way to have an imaginary line to use as a comparison.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Bripro says:

I’m sure that a small, high focus camcorder-type unit flat-mounted between the glass panels, right at crossbar height would suffice.
        That way, there could be no argument.
        The unit is level with the bar and anything above that line is a no no.

• EdSmith says:

Alternatively, a basic understanding of anatomy and 3D space will suffice. It really, really isn’t hard. It doesn’t need to be a fancy, expensive TV display…just a modicum of common sense and an IQ above 60 should suffice.

Really, is the state of education THAT poor nowadays?

• rhino514 says:

didn´t they change the rule so that the player has to touch the puck below shoulder height and it has nothing to do with the cross bar anymore??

48. Was at the Sens game in Ottawa last night, and Chris Lee actually reffed a decent game. I want to believe he’s just a dolt and not particularly biased against the Habs, but he actually did his job last night…

Best part of the night by far though: the fans chanting “Leafs suck” all night. And they were playing Nashville. : )

• EdSmith says:

That’s the problem with Ottawa – they care more about booing other teams than they do about supporting their own. The All-Star game was a riot, as the boos for Phaneuf were louder than the cheers for Alfredsson!

49. Strummer says:

Mr. Boone-

Will you be catching the ManU-Liverpool match tomorrow morning?

7:45 EST on TSN2

Should be crackin’ game!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

50. wd40 says:

I’ll say this for Gomez: he’s not the world’s greatest enunciator.

51. Propwash says:

I got a pretty good chuckle out of this…..

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

52. Dr.Rex says:

GOmez finally gets off the the goose egg and then he almost immediately gives the Islanders a goal back wiht his clueless and lazy defensive play on Streits goal. First off when playing wing you should never get caught behind the net and he has done so about a dozen times in the last few games. ALso a pathetic one hand stick swing at a defender who is moving into the slot is bantam style at best. Everytime GOmer is on the ice we seem to be running aorund in our zone. This will bite us and hopefully RC has learned to keep him off teh ice in the last 5 mins.

• smiler2729 says:

I think it was “suck it, Phaneuf, WOOOO!”

Don’t forget the “WOOO!” for emphasis, it really drives home the “suck it”…

Gotta love Hartnell now

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• HabFanSince72 says:

It’s funny what happened to Dion. I don’t think we have to love Hartnell though.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• bel33 says:

Hey I admit Faa-noof is not the smartest tool in the shed and I can’t stand the Loafs (especially since I live in Toronto) but seriously…. the hit didn’t seem dirty (I couldn’t really tell)… and every guy who gets knocked on his ass feels wronged. No one can take a hit anymore… just my two cents.

Hope we have a chance to knock both of these chump teams out of the playoffs.

Interesting article, seems like the people of Detroit aren’t all dancing in the streets afterall with the Outdoor Classic. Have to say, this writer has a point about how the game should be in Detroit, not near Detroit. Whodathunk the NHL would rather go for the bigger dollar at the Big House.

54. The Dude says:

The fact that today’s C.H. conversation is about “it not over till the fat lady” and Gomez one goal a game for 8 million a year JUST PISSES ME OFF!

55. HabsFan82 says:

If the Habs don’t go into another slide and the four teams ahead of them lose a few here and there they’ll have a chance. but I wouldn’t bet on it. lets not kid our self, 9 points out of a playoff spot and the four teams ahead are not playing that bad, they’ll have to beat some pretty good teams to catch up. starting tomorrow night in Toronto.

56. HabFanSince72 says:

Dear H I/O

Can you please ban habs17.

Thank you.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

57. Strummer says:

Is anyone aware of Habs record when they have to sit through a boring number retirement ceremony before puck-drop?

The reason I ask is Leafs are honouring Sundin tomorrow night so beware of BS that will provde.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

Shouldn’t be too long a ceremony, unless they plan on discussing his play for Sweden in the Olympics, otherwise fairly routine, couple of playoffs no real success.

• Mattyleg says:

I like how Pierre Houde talked last night about the ceremony for Sundin, who was such an inspirational figure… in Quebec City.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

;-)

(Although if you can have Tie Domi night at Maple Leaf Garden – you can probably come up with a lot to say about Sundin.)

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

58. joshua94k says:

Toronto is not the centre of the hockey universe. NHL decisions are made in New York.

The Canadiens Hall of Fame has more accomplishments than the entire Hockey Hall of Fame situated in Toronto.

The Canadiens have the most passionate fans in the world. Most players are excited to play in the Bell Centre not dull ACC.

59. manu07 says:

These hockey analysts are brutal. Especially on TSN. They made a big deal about Getzlaf or Ryan being traded along with several other players. Now they are all back peddling. GMs are waiting I see where they sit at the deadline. Blah blah blah. TSN spends a day of deadline TV. But for 2 months that’s all they talk about. It’s brutal.

60. MiltonHab says:

For years Hab fans were concerned about giving Plekanec a big contract for fear of him losing his ” fire”. This is exactly what has happened to Gomez. As much as we all wanted him to be a big success here he hasn’t been the same player since Sather gave him an enormous contract. A player with his skills does not go ” south” in such a short timeframe after signing. Thats why Carter is not such a good idea!

• habs17 says:

did u not hear what happen last nite GOMEZ IS BACK

I support Scott Gomez

• govenah says:

It’s as easy as one two three…
      1. Fix the power play.
      2. Find out how to motivate the team for 60 minuets.
      3. Practice shootouts!

If Randy and team fix these things then we have chance.
      And if you have to make the Goat get rid of some ufa’s to acheive #1 then so be it.
      Looking forward to beating the leafs twice more this year. Then I will be happy regardless of playoffs.

• Cardiac says:

I disagree. Gomez is slowing down. He’s 32 and broke into the league over 10 years ago. His first year the Rangers was 4 years ago and he scored a respectable 70 points.

Scott Gomez is a mirror image of Chris Drury (minus the knee problem, but he was already on the decline before that). I got another example for you, Wade Redden. This guy was a superstar in the making and no one, with the exception for Drury and Gomez have slipped so far so fast as him.

Makes you wonder what was in the Rangers’ drinking water those years ago…

– Jerry Maguire