The CHardiac Kids

469064-scott-gomez-marque-premier-but
Never in doubt, right?
Your Montreal Canadiens were cruising to a 3-0 win over the Islanders with less than three minutes to play.
And then …
But hey, three in a row.
And 11th place, baby!

And on the day the Roman Catholic diocese of Montreal ran newspaper ads urging parishioners to pray for the city’s hockey team, Scott Gomez scored a goal.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

J.T. talks to Ryan White

• Conference Board: Canada could support nine NHL teams

1. G-Man says:

For all you Perry Como fans out there and the still hopeful among us.

It’s not impossible for the Habs to make the playoffs,
    It’s not impossible.
    It’s improbable, yet Gomez scored one and I am a bored one,
    It’s just improbable.
    Can we see Stanley on Ste-Catherine even though he’s tough to win?
    It’s just improbable.
    But the second that I begin to doubt those Habs let it all hang out.
    Oh, how improbable.

Can 29 others keep my Habs from knocking at the door?
    It’s just impossible.
    And if they make it in the end could I ever ask for more?
    It’s just improbable.
    And if the sun shines down on Stanley in June,
    and glimmers wanly in the light of the moon
    I’d not regret it for to live without Stanley…
    Is just impossible.

After watching the Caps/Jets highlights last night, i now understand why Vokoun signed for so little in Washington.

• Bripro says:

Yeah, pretty brutal.
      Another weak goal-of-the-week on a long shot.

• savethepuck says:

In fairness to him he was going to the left to make a save blocker side and the puck was deflected glove side and bounced over his pad. As a former goaltender I don’t blame him on that goal at all. Pavelec at the other end added even though it may of looked bad, he didn’t think Vokoun had a chance on that goal it was a lucky bounce for the jets.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

3. Les Canayens says:

Philippe Cantin of La Presse: Non à «Fail for Nail»
    In it are things that have been said many times here, but one interesting point he made was that a losing team like Columbus has to overpay James Wisniewski $33 mil for 6 years to have a chance to sign him. It may imply that the Habs could’ve kept him for something more reasonable, which means that there are other markets far less desirable than Montreal who had to overpay even more to sign free agents.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ❝ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.❞

• Bripro says:

GMs overpay due to their lack of basic math skills.
      4 out of 3 of them can’t even do fractions!

• Cardiac says:

While I agree with the logic of what you’re saying, there are two schools of thought to this:

a) Habs thought Markov was coming back so there was no need to keep Wiz or even offer him a contract. It’s not like he was drafted and developed by the Habs, he was a rent-a-player. He needed to show no loyalty to us.

b) This business is manipulated by greed. Wiz pays his agent to get him the best contract for the best money/terms he can. Some players give hometown discounts, but most don’t.

With that said, it all comes down to the individual. I’m sure Edmonton wanted to desperate keep Pronger and probably offered him top dollar, but his wife wanted out of there and that was that. What’s I’m trying to say is, money is a huge factor. We offered Cole more money than Carolina. However, if you believe what he told the media at the time, he wants to play here. If he didn’t, I’m sure he would have taken a hometown discount.

- Jerry Maguire

• Les Canayens says:

Couldn’t have said it better.

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌

• avatar_58 says:

I said over and over the habs could have had the Wiz for less but no one listens. People seem to think if a player signs a big paycheque that automatically the other team would have had to match it.

Wiz stated many times he loved it here. Unfortunately they treated him like a “suitcase” and he was forced to look elsewhere.

Maybe it’s me but I’d rather give Kaberle’s contract to the Wiz

• Cardiac says:

It’s you. Wiz has scored only scored 17 points in 29 games whereas Kaberle has 14 points in 26 games. Most obvious of all is Wiz is a horrible -18 whereas Kaberle is -2.

- Jerry Maguire

• habsperspective says:

So your saying +/- is all on the players onus.

The team around him makes no difference.

• avatar_58 says:

Funny wasn’t the Wiz a big minus with his old team until he joined the habs and lit it up? When a player plays somewhere with passion and skill they do better. He was given a crapload to play on a garbage team and you wonder why he’s doing badly?

4. habsfanforever7631 says:

I was listening to tsn990 earlier on, and they said that We have no chance of making the playoffs, and even if we do, we’ll get smashed outa the first round.
    Well lets say we make the playoffs and we’re 8th we’ll probably play the rangers, and we play pretty good against the Rangers.
    What gets me mad is how can people say that we’ll get kicked out in the first round when they themselves say that you never know what will happen in the NHL from night to night.
    Are they just hating, or just don’t have anything elce to say?
    I know that losing and geting a top pick is a good choice but how can we sit down to watch a Habs game and say “No no no don’t score, lose lose lose!”
    We can’t we want our team to win every night.
    I say get into the playoffs and you never know what will happen, it’s only up to the players, if they really want to win, they will.

• habs17 says:

i doubt we would get smashed, in order to make the playoffs we will have to be the hottest team going into the playoffs, aka look at the giants in football ride the momentum if we make to playoffs we will go to the cup

I support Scott Gomez

• Psycho29 says:

All Marinaro does is bash the Habs every chance he gets, just so he can say ‘I told you so’. Not that he’s always wrong, but he talks like he should be the GM….
      The night of the Bourque trade he was so upset, claiming that the trade was terrible…Now he says that maybe the Habs should trade Cole if a big deal comes along…

Anyhow, not that it would happen again, but a couple of years ago we were supposed to get smashed by the Caps (121 points?); and then the Penguins, no way we’d beat the Penguins….
      Anything can happen in sports…..

• nellis13 says:

we have 27 games left and we’re only 9 points back so at first glance it doesn’t look that bad. we have to win roughly 2/3 games to be a contender. assuming we have 50/50 odds every game that’s a 33% chance we can even contend for the 8th spot. now factor in there are 7 other teams in the same position the odds fall dramatically. 10% would be generous. it could happen but it’s HIGHLY unlikely.

5. HabFanSince72 says:

“Hockeytown” is even more egregious than “Centre of the Hockey Universe”.

Hockeytown is a marketing slogan.

Detroit can barely sell out playoff games.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

6. PrimeTime says:

Gomez can’t hear what you’re saying because his ears are blocked with his 2 Stanley Cup rings.

• habs17 says:

exactly 2 stanley cups

I support Scott Gomez

• Cardiac says:

Are you honestly trying to compare Roy’s role in winning two Cups for the Habs as Gomez’s role with the Devils’ Cup wins?

Remember, Marc Savard got himself a ring AND his name on the Cup, yet his was most likely ineligible for either…

- Jerry Maguire

7. savethepuck says:

I see the poll question is up to 25% yes from yesterdays 21%. Is that because people are happy about last night’s win and more of you are jumping back on the bandwagon and think they now have a better shot? Or is it because more on here are starting to realize that as long as a team is not mathematically eliminated they can still make the playoffs and the question should be will they?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• nellis13 says:

didn’t they get the memo? 15th is the new 1st. stop playing kaberlame 7 min per game. put him on the 1st pairing with weber. what? weber’s injured? even better. this is our first chace at at top 5 draft pick since 2005. don’t screw it up and finish 9th!

8. Fired Right UP!

TSN The Team 990 says they are Done. Maybe so but it’s gonna be a fun ride finding out.

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

9. habs17 says:

right now at school im wearing my gomez shirt and every1 is loving it whooooo never been more proud of gomez
    I support Scott Gomez

10. Bripro says:

My very good friend and fellow Habs-watcher was asking last night who I will root for if the Habs don’t make the playoffs.
    I went through the entire Canadian team listing, but just like the Enterprise commercial, I omitted the Leafs.
    “What, you wouldn’t root for them?”
    Put it this way, if they meet the Bruins in the semi-finals, I’ll be watching the western semis to have another team to root for.

11. third generation haber says:

How can any of u defend Gomez????

He scored a goal and then gave one back! Streit skated freely into the zone b/c he knew there was no chance he would be checked. How tough do u need to be to at least get in someone’s way???

Other teams seem to know that they won’t get hit when they enter our end, our blue-line is a free pass.

Please put Gomez, Campoli, and Kaberle in a rocket and fire it at the sun.
    j.p. murray

12. Marcusman says:

So is it just me or has the dynamic of the team changed since Cammy got traded and Gionta got hurt? The boys seem to be having way more fun now…

• third generation haber says:

I think Gionta competes hard every night and would be helping us now (Possible chemistry with Bourque???). Gomez and Cammaleri are passengers.

j.p. murray

13. habs17 says:

congrats gomez now its time for you to lead this team into the playoffs

I support Scott Gomez

14. Tharsis says:

Did anyone notice how happy AKost looked after Gomez’ goal?
    He had the biggest smile, and gave Gomer a huge hug.
    It is nice to see such emotion from the big lug.

Considering last weeks comments from Gomez regarding AK, I think that they are bff’s.

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

Yah, AK busted his chops pretty good right after and they were both howling. Pretty neat to see how happy all the guys on the ice were immediately after also.

Hopefully things go well for Scotty rest of the year, it can only help our team.

• Bripro says:

You could tell he was pulling Gomer’s chain sitting on the bench after the goal. I don’t know what AK said, but Gomez’s response (with a huge smile on his face) rhymes with “puck two”.

• Mattyleg says:

Apparently Gomer made AK a BFF collage, and used some sparkly gel pens that he bought with his own money.

There are hockey photos of each of them, of course, but also some pics of guys in shampoo ads and truck ads, and one pic of two cowboys riding across the range together with “Me” and “You” written in liquid paper over their heads.

There are rumours there was also a mix-tape.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Les Canayens says:

Hmm did Gomez say something like AK is the most popular guy in the room?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• Rudy says:

I’m trying to find coverage of the bench after the goal, and can’t find any. Any suggestions where to look? I’m in the States so CBC not an option

15. habs001 says:

If the habs resign moen and ak46 than the decision will probably be that they will come back basically with the same forward lineup as this year with one or two changes on the 4th line…

16. Bripro says:

Did anyone read where Burke was saying how the Jan 1 game between Detroit and the Laffs will be “Hockeytown against the centre of the hockey universe”?
    Is this guy for real?
    I almost tossed my breakfast, right there.

17. ogilthorpe says:

Good on Gomez for finally getting that monkey off his back…as I said long ago, he’s a good play maker.. Now, hopefully the floodgates will open and we’ll see some action…. Also, a big, fat rotten tomato for Tremblay for that stupid, sarcastic clapping on AC last night…maybe we should all do the same in memory of his “spectacular” coaching way back when……

Saturday night, and we are in the so called Universe of Hockey.
    Just in time to “Beam Us Up Scotty.”

19. The Jackal says:

If Gomez was a bad guy and the team prankster, would he have been shipped out? If Gomez was the guy who left a dna sample in Cammi’s glove, prompting him to call the team losers, would he have been traded too? I think so. Discuss.

20. Josh says:

So because of one mistake after a very strong game by Gomez, Ladouceur gives him a 6.9. He’s just another one of the french media playing favourites. Why even link him?

21. Old Bald Bird says:

My two cents on the NYI second goal. I’m not a Gomez fan, but he tried to make a play on Streit, who simply made a better one. If Streit had made that play for us, as he once used to, we would be exulting on his brilliance rather than Gomez’s supposed gaffe. I see that on this play credit belongs to Streit not blame on Gomez.

• Bripro says:

If I might allow myself the luxury of criticizing Price, I’ve seen him give up a few weak goals through the five-hole this year, and last night’s was the same.
      By the replay, it looked as though he could see the shot coming, and was well positioned for it, but his stick was off the ice again, and woosh, right through the gap!
      OK that’s it. Short critical comment. Aside from that, he was great, yet again!

• sanman_11 says:

I could accept everything you said except that you didn’t mention that huge body all alone in front of him. It was a hard low shot, perfectly placed between the legs of Price AND the screening forward. That was not a weak goal.

I’m a HABS fan not a Leaf blower.

• Ian Cobb says:

Brian- We saw things very different. Price played very well my friend. The boys in front let him down.
        Price is the best goal tender we have had here since Saint Patrick. Yes he lets in a few weak goals, but that they are only weak goals for him, at his level of game. But other tenders let them in all the time, and they are good shots, or good goals for their capabilities.

• DorvalTony says:

Five years of nothing from Price. Order the Moet Chandon my friend. His drought is longer than Gomez’s.

• Bripro says:

Ian, you and I are in total agreement on his pedigree.
          I love the kid, and he’s by far our best line of defence (with Gorges and Emelin).
          All I’m saying is forgets his stick once in a while, and although there was a big body in front of him, the replay from the camera angle at the other end showed that he could see the shot coming, but his stick was out of position. That’s my only complaint.
          But I’m with you buddy. He’s the best we’ve had since St Patrick.
          Thank God Corey, Houle and Tremblay aren’t around to ship him out.

• Ian Cobb says:

He also gets caught behind the net at times, but that is only because he can do twice what any other tender can do. He is a beauty and cool.!

• Ian Cobb says:

Dorval- You are talking about the Price is Right, we that know hockey are talking hockey, join us and learn my friend.

I thought he was screened very effectively, and as we know first hand, Streit has a great shot and took advantage. I know you aren’t trying to critiicize Price, but to me was just a good goal by the opposition. Now the high stick goal, I am still fuming, okay maybe still frustrated. Funny thing was just as the ref grabbed the headset at the scorers window my phone rang and some guy just mumbled in the phone for like 3 seconds and hung up. Then I looked back at the TV and the ref was skating to center ice, Coincidence? I think not.

• LA Loyalist says:

8 year old goalies learn to keep their sticks on the ice.

Maybe we need a new goalie coach? I don’t deny Price’s physical package, it’s the software that worries me. It worries me a lot.

I’m afraid he’s the Joe Thornton of goalies.

• sanman_11 says:

He should have taken the body, plain and simple. He didn’t have to knock him over, just get in front of him and stay there. Instead he did a fly by.

I’m a HABS fan not a Leaf blower.

• Timo says:

Nah… It was Gomer’s fault.

I’m with the Bird on this one.

• LA Loyalist says:

All I, and I presume most of we, have ever asked from Gomez is a sincere effort. If he tries to make a play and Streit makes a better one, as you describe, then c’est la eau de vie.

It’s the waving his stick at his check as he blows by, the blind dump passes to nowhere, the turning away from the scrums… I don’t need to iterate his sins here.

The funny thing about hockey is if you try really hard and do the right things, good stuff happens – throw the puck at the net, put it hard off the boards to clear your zone… this is all stuff we try and teach our kids, and I think it’s not unreasonable to expect Gomez to try, too.

• DorvalTony says:

Gomez sucked on that as he too often does. Small soft ineffective. Little commitment. Half hearted. If PK had done that some would roast him alive.

22. Donnie Murdo says:

In view of the tireless (and tiresome) comments about the drag on this team that Gomez’s contract/his (non)justifying production has…

What if (and this is completely hypothetical) the league was to instill a player salary cap, but where the performance bonuses based on the skillset and role of the player could greatly enhance the earning potential.

Kinda like a base salary/performance bonus deal, y’know like most of the western capitalist world adopts.

Again, this is entirely hypothetical cuz the NHLPA would never agree to something as outlandish as this.

The questions would be (among others):

- What would the player cap be?
    - Does this impact league parity, as those organisations with deep pockets could pay bigger bonuses, unless your total bonus projections factor into an overall salary cap.
    - In case of injury…??

Objective is to minimize risk on investment while rewarding those who perform.

Thoughts?

For the record, I’m not anti Gomez… it drives me crazy when I read other armchair GMs consolidating Gomez the person, Gomez the player and his salary as being all one and the same.

• LA Loyalist says:

Donnie, what would you pay a non-defensive player for one goal per year?

What will you be able to talk about if and when Gomez is no longer in the Habs lineup?

• DorvalTony says:

How great it is that that deadbeat is gone and how good his replacement is.

• LA Loyalist says:

As long as their are Gomez apologists I’ll be around with the noose and stool.

That said, the day he is gone I will open my last bottle of 2002 Champagne I’ll relax and enjoy the game again.

By the way, I was almost in Burlington last weekend, I was going to Dundas to see a friend and the “Hockeyville” rink (nice!) and went over that fancy bridge by mistake. Nice area, the escarpment and all that. I hope you have many opportunities to enjoy it.

No apologist, just don’t find myself saying the same thing post after post after post is all.

Edit: They did a nice job at the Dundas arena, one of my buddies plays there every week still. Dundas is a nice little town.

• Donnie Murdo says:

The point here is that you play a player to play. You incent him to score, or hit or black or whetever he’s there to do… In which case Gomez qualifies midway- up on the base table ($4M – Stanley cup winner and previously proven point getter?) with the opportunity to make his 7 mil through production.

• SteverenO says:

The Gomez file:

Lets compare the Habs centers this year, Gomez, Desharnais, Plekanec and Eller. Ill throw in Nokia, and Leblanc as well.
      These numbers are for Even Strength situations only!
      We will look at minutes of ice time per goals allowed, and minutes of ice time per goal scored. (goals are by the team, not the actual player)

Gomez: 25 minutes per GF , 19 per GA TOI even strength: 302
      Plekanec: 24 minutes per GF , 17 per GA TOI even strength: 795
      Desharnais: 18 minutes per GF , 23 per GA TOI even strength: 771
      Eller: 22 minutes per GF , 25 per GA TOI even strength: 682
      Leblanc: 24 minutes per GF , 49 per GA TOI even strength: 195
      Nokilainen: 52 minutes per GF , 24 per GA TOI even strength: 311

Their average ice time (even strength) of these players are as follows
      Desharnais, Pleks 14:30
      Eller : 13
      Gomez : 12
      Leblanc; 10
      Nokilainen: 7:30

Interpretation : Gomez does NOT significantly hurt the team even strength. neither is he a great asset. Leblanc is a keeper, and should get better and better (offensively) if he plays with better wingers. Nokiainnen is not good enough defensively to account for his ineptness offensively. When his injury is over he should be dealt, or made a healthy scratch.

Gomez scoring a goal, on the PP is the worst thing that could have happened to this team. He will now continue to get PP time and take time away from Leblanc and Eller. If we are stuck with having Gomez on the team, let him play 10 minutes even strength, I deven use him on the PK, but keep him off the PP!

regards,

Steve O.

Is it possible to find out if Ryan White will be called up in time to play Saturday against Toronto?

Would really like to see same lineup as yesterday add White to AK and Gomez, Remove Campoli from lineup.

If information about White has already been posted by someone today, sorry for repeat question, just skimmed over the posts and didn’t see anything Ryan White related.

Oh yah, Way to go Scott, keep it up. Timo and SD are behind you now!

• shiram says:

I don’t think there is any information floating around about that.
      It would be great to see White back playing again, could possibly have a worthwhile 4th line and play 12 forwards.
      Bulldogs play 3 games this week-end, so that’s going to be a great way to test his condition.

• G-Man says:

I think he can only play 3 in Hamilton as part of his conditioning stint. As far as I know, he’s played 1. After the next 2 (or earlier) he can be brought back. Otherwise, White will have to go through waivers.

• habs03 says:

Like shiram said, Dogs play Friday-Saturday-Sunday. Maybe Friday game and call him up for Saturday. Because if he does play all 3 weekend games for the Dogs, I don’t think we’ll see him until late next week since Habs play Monday and Wednesday, Monday would be for sure a no-go imo.

• ffenliv says:

It would be nice to see him. Sadly, I haven’t heard anything about him coming up. After all this time off, you’d have to imagine they’d give him the 3 games allowed without having to go through waivers to get him back up.

Sorry I didn’t add any real info there, just opinion.

• Bripro says:

“Remove Campoli from lineup.” Yes!
      He’s our new goat! Bloody wet noodle!

• sanman_11 says:

I’ll let you know if I see him at the Marlies-Bulldogs game on Saturday. My thoughts are since the big club and farm team are 10 km apart, he will either join the team for the game at the ACC or ride back with them. But that’s using logic!

I’m a HABS fan not a Leaf blower.

• Ian Cobb says:

JT has an article about White Gerald, up top.

I read it, and kind of got the impression he said he would play all 3 games, but i had the impression the interview was from before the game he already played and was hopeful they may change their minds and bring him up sooner.

Was a good read, JT did a really nice job.

• Timo says:

I always supported Scott Gomez.. but not as much as MAB.

What time are the prayers tomorrow?

25. habs001 says:

Many posters all year advised that the markov salary is not an issue as it does not count towards the cap…but this summer if the team is still not sure if he can play would that not greatly influence how they structure the team? would they not have to leave some cap room so they can add him to the roster in the fall without having to get rid of 2-3 players at the last second…

26. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:
    1. Was the first NYI goal a good goal? How sure are you?
    2. What happened in the last 3 minutes…is this part of a pattern or just a one-time thing?
    3. When people argue about Gomez the salary is always in the background (as it should be – in a cap world a player needs to pull near his weight). But at what price would you be perfectly okay with him being on this team?
    4. Has Kaberle improved our power play?
    5. Has Plekanec’s game improved lately?
    SD
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• JimBob says:

1. It looked kind of borderline to me, though my initial impression was that it was high. Oh well.
      2. I wish it was a one-time thing, but we’ve seen it happen time and again this season. Last night was just remarkable because instead of spacing and spreading out the collapse over a period or so, our boys compressed the collapse into 3 minutes.
      3. As long as he pulls his weight, works hard, and plays to his abilities, I’d be ok with him. As long as he doesn’t look lazy out there, which he hasn’t since he got back, for the most part. Sure I’d love to be able to count on him for 60-70 pts, but…..
      4. Barely, but yeah I suppose so.
      5. Marginally better, but still lots of room for improvement there.

• Timo says:

1. doesn’t matter
      2. well, on the second NYI goal Streit simply walked around Gomer and had all the time in the world to place a perfect shot.
      3. Darche has same # of points as Gomer, so for whatever Darche makes. But I’d rather not have either on the team.
      4. Is this a trick question?
      5. Well sure, but who cares now? When it counted he sucked as much as the rest of these Gomers.

• habs-hampton says:

1. stick looked over crossbar to me.
      2. I was surprised the collapse didn’t start earlier in the 3rd.
      3. He should pay the team $1M each of the next 2 years out of the $21 M the team already paid him.
      4. No.
      5. Meh.

• Bripro says:

1. Nope. Positive (by the way, that makes it 6 questions)
      2. As in “third period collapse”? What do you think? Been there, seen it.
      3. $1MM base plus a % of revenues for every standup comedy act he performs.
      4. Trick question….The real question is whether or not he’s improved our defence.
      5. No question. … he’s back! I think he likes playing an easy north-south game with journeymen like Moen.

• shiram says:

1. It looked bad to me. Not being on the ice it’s tough to make a call, but i’d say 60% sure.
      2.They did not play bad the rest of the third, I’m thinking the Isles were surging.
      3. Moen type money.
      4. Not really,any change he brings have been too insignificant to make an impact.
      5.Slightly, but I don’t think he was playing very badly before.

• SmartDog says:

I love Pleks, and he’s worth every dime. But he’s -14. The next nearest is Gill at around -8. There are reasons for that – he gets tough assignments, etc. but for awhile he was looking tired or something. Not at his best. Seems better now with better linemates (big surprise) including Gomez not on his wing.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Old Bald Bird says:

1. Pretty sure it was a bad goal, but I don’t think it was quite flagrant enough to expect TO to overturn the call on ice.

2. I can’t see that fluke goal batted out of the air as being part of the pattern. The team wasn’t on their heels for the whole last period and had been playing fairly well.

3. Given the history, I am not sure I’d be okay with Gomer at any price.

4. No movement on the PP for much of the time, so there’s nothing much that Kab can add.

5. Pleks seems to be back on form. We have an odd team where people can’t always play where they should best play IMO. Pleks should likely play #2, but we sort of have 3 #2s. I think they can be 3 very strong #2s, and with 3 somewhat balanced lines next year, each being defensively responsible plus being an offensive threat, we could mitigate the lack of a true #1. I still think Eller might get there in 2013-14. Meanwhile, however it’s constructed, I think we have a pretty reasonable top line, so perhaps we dwell on the concept of a #1 centre too much.

• J_P says:

1. Looked awfully like contact with the puck was made above the crossbar, and I even think the side angle showed it quite well, but it counted so not much we can do about it.
      2. Just the team getting overconfident. Sucked for Carey who played a great game and deserved the shutout.
      3. $3 million. THere’s no denying I like his character. Seems like a good guy, and I think with lowered expectations and playing on the third line, he might actually start to produce. I have to think the burden of expectations that come with such a contract affect his psyche, and there is definitely a huge psychological element to being effective in ALL pro sports.
      4. Clearly not. Than again, I think our powerplay is such a mess that until they change the way they run the powerplay completely, it will never be effective.
      5. Seems like it. Hopefully its not too little too late.

27. habs001 says:

At this point of the season plecks,gion,ak46,gomez and camm/bourque combo have not met production expectations that were expected at the beginning of the season..some are due to injuries etc…these 5 forward positions have not performed to expectations…this team should not be a few points ahead and a few points behind with most of the teams that are in the bottom one third in the standings…

28. docketrocket says:

There may be a few better long term prospects in the league, but I doubt anyone is going to trade them to us for PK. Subban is a one of a kind gem. The abuse he gets, much of it racist, from the other teams and media is bad enough. When fans of the CH run him out of town with constant abuse, we’ll regret it for the next 15 years.

29. PrimeTime says:

Way too many people here take themselves too seriously. Some claiming they have 1st and 2nd hand insight to the players thoughts on the team and their teammates. Uh huh! The Gomez haters whining about his 1 and only goal, I’d say he was a bigger man than any of you…..focus on “whining”. Others now complaining about Pleks playing a defensive role @ $5M??? Nice lead from the Anti- I can’t get an NHL job- idiots. The media always focuses on individual players and that gets in the heads of the fans. Players and Coaches understand the concept of “team”. They know the game better than fans, played it at the highest competitive levels their whole lives, have won and loss, and know better than media and any fan that the game is a “team” game and you play for your teammates. It is only their opinion that counts of you that matters. Posters have the right to express their opinions but don’t think it matters a lick outside of your own ego.

• J_P says:

I would definitely argue that you are individual who takes themself quite seriously based on a lot of your posts that I have read. Its the internet, 90% of people posting on the net think they’re right and everyone else is wrong lol That’s what comes with zero accountability. Im sure my posts come off as some jerk and know-it-all often enough, but obviously the majority of what I say, like everyone here, is my opinion.

That being said, GM’s have made mistakes. Just because you hold a position of power does not mean you are more qualified or know better than every other person. Heck, I probably watch more hockey and know more about every other team than Pierre Gauthier does. Case in point, Mike Milbury and John Ferguson Jr.

30. SmartDog says:

Gotta say, it’s nice to see Plekanec playing better. He still doesn’t have the linemates to score goals, but he’s playing a better all around game – more aggressive, better defensively, more take-aways.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• joeybarrie says:

So its Gomez’ fault his line mates can’t score. But its the line mates fault that they can’t score on passes from Pleks.
      ah, I got it now….La je comprends.
      I’m not for keeping Gomez at that inflated salary, but all our problems are not his salary. We are a better team with him. We will be a much better team without his cap hit.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

31. habs001 says:

The decision to keep or let gomez go will greatly influence the lineup next year…the team has to know if markov is ready to play next year in order to know how much money they can spend this summer…

32. JF says:

Since giving up that soft, momentum-changing, confidence-sapping goal against the Devils, Price has been superb. He’s looked as good as he did for most of last year, and better than he has looked consistently at any time this season. Too bad about the high-stick goal; if that hadn’t been allowed, I doubt the Islanders would have gotten their second, and Price would have had a shutout. But I guess the important thing is that the team, although they almost collapsed, did not. Blowing third-period leads and losing used to be inevitable; perhaps that is starting to change and the team’s confidence is growing as a result.

I loved the Plekanec-Darche-Bourque line. It is producing lots of puck-possession, lots of north-south play, and good chances. I think people unfairly malign Mathieu Darche. He doesn’t score a lot, but he is defensively responsible, he plays with a ton of grit, and he goes hard to the net. He’s still a decent fourth-line grinder IMO. Rene Bourque had one of his best games since becoming a Hab. That trade is looking good for us, especially in light of how well Patrick Holland seems to be doing.

It was great to see Scott Gomez score and hear Pierre Houde’s reaction. An historic moment, but it’s good to get it over with so it can cease being a distraction.

If we beat Toronto and Carolina, things could get interesting, but realistically I can’t see it happening. Toronto will be desperate for a win, and the Habs, following their usual pattern this year, are probably due for a stinker.

33. likehoy says:

we’ve won every game that gomez has scored in this year.
    1-0-0

34. icemachine says:

So very happy that Gomez got the monkey off, hopefully things start clicking for him now. At this point I will be happy with Habs playing the spoiler if they can keep the Leafs out the playoffs with Ws on Saturday and the last game of the season

Its time to switch to whiskey, we’ve been drinkin’ beer all night

35. J_P says:

The habs just wanted Gomez’ goal to be the game winner so they let the islanders get a couple lol

Nice to finally see him pot one. Must be a huge relief for him. If the habs are going to perform a miracle and make the playoffs, we definitely need all the help we can get. Gomez finding some confidence and getting hot could certainly help.

36. jew4jah says:

gomez would look great in a leafs jersey

chara = חרה

37. joshbenn says:

top salaries from capgeek this season

Player Pos Team Age Length Amount
    20. Nash, Rick » F CLB 27 8 $7,500,000
    21. Weber, Shea » D NAS 26 1 $7,500,000
    22. Koivu, Mikko » F MIN 28 7 $7,290,000
    23. Campbell, Brian » D FLA 32 8 $7,142,875
    24. Iginla, Jarome » F CGY 34 5 $7,000,000
    25. Briere, Daniel » F PHI 34 8 $7,000,000
    when you think about it most teams have made mistakes with bad contracts and were not the only ones overpaying a player enormously like gomez

• J_P says:

You do realize that every single player on your list has more points than gomez right?

Even Crosby whos played 8 games and Pronger whos played 12 games.

I dont even really get the point of your post because you are showing real salaries and not the cap hit, and I would take every player on that list before scott gomez.

• Les Canayens says:

I think the point of the list, inadvertently, shows how tremendously unlucky the Habs are among teams who have franchise-player salaries in their rosters.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• kirkiswork says:

Most of those players have played a lot more games than Gomez too.
        A lot of the players on that list are overpaid.

• J_P says:

they get paid millions to play a sport, they’re all overpaid! that goes without saying. But i would still take every player on that list (other than a goalie) over scott gomez.

38. SmartDog says:

It seems to some people, Gomez is like a giant puppy dog. A big $7.5 million dollar puppy dog.

Awwwww who cood not wuv dat wittle face? So gwad he’s on OUR team.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• joeybarrie says:

You know its genius posts like this that really really help sell all the points you make.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• J_P says:

Cant really argue with him though. Gomez talks to the media, says all the right things, and once again charmed everyone into getting on his side. No ones disputing that gomez is probably a great guy, but hes a massive disappointment any way you look at it. We also gave up a very good asset to acquire him and his albatross contract, and allowed the rangers to get a premier sniper in doing so, while we got absolutely squat save for one less defensiveprospect and $7.3M of wasted cap space.

39. petefleet says:

The view from my Rec Room:

1. Max was hungrier than ever last night and it showed. Could’ve easily had a couple more.
    2. Cole looked like he was 1/2 step behind last night…might be tired from playing at 125% every night.
    3. Carey deserved a better fate. As has happened so many other times this season, a third period collapse almost cost them 2 points.
    4. No way that was agoal. That’s the third time, by my count, that the “War Room” has made the wrong call but this time it did not cost the game.
    5. #74 is quietly becoming #2 on this team. Love the way he plays with poise and patience. Oh, love the hits too.
    6. Still hate the way Gomer is playing. He must have been out of position on his goal because normally he wouldn’t be within 30 ft of that piece of ice.
    7. Pleks just keeps on giving. Glad he signed a long term deal.
    8. DD is just getting started people. I see this cat leading the team in scoring….soon. He reminds me a bit of St. Louis.
    9. I am very tired of PK Subban. I’m not sure how many more times “keep it simple” can be said to him….he’s just not getting it. RC has his hands full with this guy. Some of his handy work last night had me seeing red, I can’t imagine what the coaches are saying to each other.
    10. LL is a keeper. Smart player that goes to the tough areas. Look for him to break out next year.
    11. I stll don’t think they’ll make the playoffs but wins are much gooder to watch. I know gooder is not a word but it’s funner to say.
    ******************************************

Nothing would be written at all if a man waited until he could write it so well that no one could find fault with it.

***Habs Forever***

• SmartDog says:

Great post. I agree 100%. Gotta have patience with PK though. He’s young. I think he needs better mentoring. He’s probably getting it now with Cunneyworth, and personally I wish they’d play him with Gill (but then what would be our #1D pair?). But he’ll improve. He’s been better the last few games even.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• J_P says:

I agree with every point except for the one about PK. Pk’s mistakes are going to be amplified because hes ALWAYS on the ice. He’s also generally playing against the other teams top lines. Everyone needs to cut the kid some slack. Let him play the way he plays and make some mistakes along the way. He’s young, and trying to uselessly reinvent him just makes him doubt himself. With the playoffs requiring a miracle, this is the opportune time to let PK be PK and show him some confidence.

40. kempie says:

Here’s what scares me: I can really see the nightmare scenario happening; Habs will rattle off another 10 in a row, climb the standings until the last game of the year, where they will need 2 points against the Leafs to make the playoffs. They will, of course, lose in a shootout, miss the playoffs and pick 17th at this summer’s draft. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been excited about getting a high draft pick and the feeling has been building lately. Now I don’t advocate going “full tank mode”. It would be an awkward conversation to tell these guys to lose games on purpose, especially guys in a contract year. But, if it was up to me, Budaj would get a lot of work and guys like LL, Palushaj and even Avtsin would be getting a lot of quality TOI. It’s called developing youth for the future and it’s a totally legitimate plan. If they lose a few along the way, and they will, then that’s part of the development.

And I’ve been trying to figure this one out: Night before last I had a dream that Price had written in big block letters the word “bullshit” on the inside of his trapper. Weird.

• petefleet says:

Here’s the thing. If they don’t sell off assets before the deadline has come and gone, they can package the players with #17 to get a higher draft pick. I wouldn’t get real excited about #1,2 &3 anyway, they’re all Russian or small. #1 is both Russian and small. They may be able to trade up to #8 or 9 to get a high quality pick. Just sayin’.

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

• ” I wouldn’t get real excited about #1,2 &3 anyway, they’re all Russian or small. #1 is both Russian…”

Guess, you’d like to see Malkin, Datsyuk, Ovechkin estc. among Habs. But no way. ‘Cause they are all Russians ( btw as Emelin, Markov).
        Hope, the ‘Russian’ picks will be taken by other teams , so they could kick your fat “north american white power you know yourlself what” big time.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is Choibolsan.

• J_P says:

yeah i guess you’re right about being weary of selecting russians in the top three… Kovalchuk, Malkin and Ovechkin are terrible players…

Crosby is 5’11. He isnt exactly big, and just for the record, when pittsburgh won the cup it was a certain russian who was selected 2nd overall in his draft year that won the conn smythe.

Give me a break. Pretty silly comment, and thats me being polite.

• petefleet says:

Well I didn’t really anticipate such a strong reaction but I have broad shoulders and will try to explain.
          The Russians have, of late, been notorious for not coming to the team that drafts them. Look it up, teams are wary of picking them for this reason. Emelin was drafted in 2004 and only decided to play for the Habs this year. That’s a long time to wait if you pick a guy who you expect to impact your team sooner than later. As many great Russians as you can point to who show up every night, I can point to 3 more who don’t. For the record, i wouldn’t have OV on my team because he’s selfish. Kovalchuk is one dimensional and streaky. Malkin is too when Sid is in the lineup. I would take a Steve Yzerman or Joe Sakic type player any day over any Russian or other European. I’m not hating. I just don’t think their worth the risk….especially with so much at stake. You would want to have a your best chance at improving your team if you had #1,2, or 3. Not a crap shoot.

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

• J_P says:

Maybe because there’s people on this site of russian heritage who takes offense to such generalizations. Choosing a player off the board with the 1,2 or 3 pick would be completely ridiculous. Scouts have NAil Yakupov as the 1 pick, and although he is russian, he doesnt play in the KHL, he plays in the CHL as does Grigorenko. There is no risk of them running to russia and not playing as they are already here playing for peanuts when they could already be making big money in russia.

Ovechkin came over immediately, and Malkin, if you recall, actually ditched his KHL team and created a whole controversy when he came over.

YOu made a general statement which frankly depends on the player and their situation. I would definitely be weary of drafting any russian who currently plays in the KHL. Also, stop trying to cover up your tracks by trying to find fault with some of the players. Kovalchuk plays on the PK and has short-handed points. How is he one dimensional? He’s also the guy who i want to have on the ice in the dying seconds of any game where im trailing or tied. His contract is ridiculous, but New Jersey offered it, was he supposed to say no? Ovechkin may be selfish and have trailed off, but hes a Two-time HArt trophy winner. The fact that hes also a two-time lester b pearson trophy winner shows you that his NHL peers see him as a valuable player as well. Malkin has battled through many injuries, but when you need him most, he takes the team on his back. You clearly just have it out for russians for some reason.

What about a precious canadian like Corey Perry? He’s a having a real good season, let me tell you… Or Getzlaf? Or Carter? How about Mike Richards? How about Michael Cammalleri? YOu just cant generalize like that.

• mdp2011 says:

Yes, I don’t advocate tanking and hate seeing the Habs lose, but that would be the worst case scenario. But let’s hope that they do get on a roll and beat the Leafs on the last game of year, knocking out the Leafs and taking that 8th spot.

41. sprague cleghorn says:

Gomez has now gone over twelve hours without a goal!

As was said in the House of Commons to Neville Chamberlain in 1940: You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!

Price was very pissed off when leaving the ice last night, and I do not blame him a bit.
    He played great and kept a shutout going with two minuets left and his team mates went to sleep and were 1 shot away from going into over time. Eller, a stupid selfish penalty, and then a minuet of very poor play.

Other than nearly blowing another one, it was a good game to watch. We have to win them all.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think Eller’s penalty was selfish, Ian, it’s not like he was trying to do it, it was just clumsy and showed a lack of concentration.

To be honest, I think Price was more pissed off with the video “judging” that didn’t really take place. Everyone was convinced it wasn’t a good goal.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ian Cobb says:

Could be, but Eller in the far end taking that penalty, was certainly a rookie mistake. I would like to see it again in case I might be wrong. But I warn you, I don’t know what that feels like yet, to be wrong!

• J_P says:

Yeah that goal looked like a high stick. On borderline plays like that I think the refs should more often than not rule it no goal on the ice. I mean it looked pretty conclusive to me, but I guess the war room felt it wasnt conclusive enough to overturn the decision on the ice.

• stevieray says:

I can’t blame him …I’d be pissed also not only with the Eller penalty but also theb stellar defensive performance of Gomez when he just waved at thepuck and circled away .which resulted in the 2nd goal !! ..grated he scored finally …but …he’s the wrong person to have on the ice in the final 2 minutes of th egame when the opponents are pushing back ..

• Ian Cobb says:

Steve- I always backed him, after all when I watched him play for Jersey, how many times did I cringe when they put Gomez on the ice to win a game against us. He was a great hockey player, but he has not got what he did have. But the bugger still has his speed.

• stevieray says:

Was is right ..
          but I can’t argue about his speed .. he can go !
          best head out to the woodpile ..sunny + 4 in NS today !
          Sat. nite should be fun !!
          later my friend !

43. Mattyleg says:

Hi everybody,
    In a bit of a feisty mood this morning, finally recovered from the gastro-from-hell of Sunday night and all day Monday.
    (holy god, I would not wish that even on the Bruins…)

Having lots of fun with this team! They’ve got the right pieces in the right places, and still suffer from shaky confidence from time to time, but as long as Price plays like he did last night, anything can happen.

Love Pleks with the grinders. They create space, and Plekky scares the crap out of whoever isn’t cycling in the corners with his ‘peekaboo’ plays.

I love how DD uses his diminutive size. Watch him along the boards, he is constantly squeezing out from under the checks of these arboreal defencemen and making wicked passes.

Our PP is still brutal. Kaberle had the puck at the line, and was looking for someone to pass to, and NO-ONE was moving. There were two guys standing with their sticks in the air at the periphery, and two guys in front. That’s never going to get a goal, just a missed shot, and the puck ringing around the boards and back into our zone! They’ve got to revamp that bloody thing! It’s maddening.

Time to bake the Loafs.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ian Cobb says:

Matthew– Our young, green kids on defense are just not there yet to quarterback the power play. And the vets that we have, are not skilled enough to do the job. Look how many defense men that use to play for us, are filling that roll around the league. Starting with Mark Streit

• Mattyleg says:

It’s not the QB-ing that’s the problem, it’s the movement of the forwards inside the zone. Kaberle does a fine job, but when the defenders realize all they have to do is block his shooting lane, all he can do is pass the puck to the periphery.
        There’s not much else he can do with NOBODY MOVING!
        (sorry, just gets under my skin, you know?)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

44. Kimberly2u says:

It’s so funny reading the Leaf fans in The Star…saying if they lose to the Habs on Saturday panic will errupt….hahaha…too funny…if there is any game we need to win will be that one…Go Habs go

45. Donnie Murdo says:

I dunno about you, but I woke up this morning expecting the skies to be blue, global conflict to have ended and the world stock exchanges to be booming.

0-3

I guess a Gomez goal doesn’t put EVERYTHING to rights.

46. Habitall says:

Apropos absolutely nothing, I noticed that of the 30 top scorers this year, there are numerous so-called smurfs (defined as 5’11” and under): Giroux (#2); Datsyuk (#8); Eberle (#9); St. Louis (#19); Whitney (#20); Parise (#22).

That’s 3 smurfs in the top 10, two of whom (Giroux and Datsyuk) are perennials. (Not sure about Eberle over the long term, but who knows?)

Of the remainder, most are 6’, with none over 6’3”. The big 6’4” guys — Getzlaf, Nash, Penner (hah) are nowhere to be seen. And by the way, Bobby Ryan (6’2”) who some here were willing to trade half the team for, has fewer points (32) than 5’11” Tomas Plekanec (37). Ryan plays on a team that should be an offensive powerhouse. Plekanec doesn’t and he’s having an off year.

All this to say, if we were in the running for Yakupov (small) or Grigorenko (big), who would you take? I’ve leaned toward Grigorenko, but as seen from the above list, 5’11” can meet with big success. On the other hand, I do acknowledge that all of the smaller players mentioned above play wing (except Datsyuk). So maybe there’s something to big centres. What do you think?

Meanwhile, the guy in the list above who blows me away is 39-year old, 5’10” Ray Whitney. How is it that some guys can maintain a high level of play for years like that? Is it conditioning, talent, genetics – what?

47. mb says:

I don’t read this blog too often, but since it’s a slow news day, I think this worth the read:

French version, also:

“Booing individual players on home ice every time they touch the puck, starting or participating in smear campaigns in a public display against one or a few of them, or to raise political issues when the team has said all along that a move was temporary, all of that plays against your team in the long run. If or when a marquee player signs elsewhere, those so-called fans will be the first ones to complain that management should have matched the offer. Perhaps they did folks, but the player(s) chose to go elsewhere.”

I think that makes much sense.

On another note, SO glad to see these 3 wins in a row!… That’s good but please, please beat the Leafs Saturday night! :)

• LafleurFan says:

“The fans, and the Montreal Media, they hurt me.” Sincere words, spoken in Landsberg’s documentary.
      Unthinking Leafs fans boo’d Larry Murphy out of town, all the way to Detroit where he may have won his only Cup(s), unless he won in ’99 with Hitchcock, Hull and the Stars. The Leafs’ fans did this BEFORE the salary cap era ’cause they resented his salary and lack of production. What did Jimmy Devallano see in Murphy?
      Do we have Habs fans that match these Leafies?

“May you live in interesting times.”

48. ont fan says:

On Sportsnet last night, they said if someone was remotely interested in Gomez, they thought someone might be, the Habs would put him on waivers, recall him and the cap hit would only be 2.5 m. They thought that might be quite resonable for someone who has injury problems.

• mdp2011 says:

well Sportsnet is wrong, Gomez’s cap hit is 7,357,143, if they put him recallable waivers, Habs are responsible for half of that, which is roughly 3.7mil, not 2.5.

• Strummer says:

his salary is only $5mm next year hence the confusion

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

49. Mike11 says:

Gomez – it is about time. Scores a goal and makes a bonehead play on the 2nd goal by Streit. He should have hit him and sent him flying instead he plays the puck. Let see if there is any continuity in scoring goals or going back to old ways – I actually saw him in front of the net once.
    Pleks – great 2 way player
    Pacs – would have eliminated Boston last year if Chara had not broken his neck (AND he did not have the puck)
    Cole – grear worker game in and game out
    PK – starting to play as a TEAM player. He has great skills and perhaps he is starting to listen to RC and RL
    Moehn – starting to get his legs back
    Gill – he is a Stanley Cup winner and should be leading as one who has been there.
    Coach – he always played hard and was a very good 2 way player. The players should LISTEN to him. I think they are coming around (digging in corners, going to the net).
    Overall, the team is improving thanks to RC.
    Darche – he would make a great coach – Montreal should not let him get away.
    GO Habs GO – Do it to Toronto

Mikee

50. RetroMikey says:

So Tomas Plekanec earns $5 million a season playing on a checking line…..wow!
    I gotta ask the Habs for a tryout this fall.
    I’m a damn good checker for my mens hockey team!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

51. Sap Anderson says:

I’m sorry but why in the world are people celebrating Gomez all of a sudden? All he’s done is take over a year to score a goal… I mean seriously this is ridiculous. I don’t understand people who “feel for the guy” when he is laughing all the way to the bank and just does not give a rat’s ass about his performance

Gomez has stunk out the joint all year with his terrible play, and furthermore is a hindrance to the team as he gets icetime (and often lots of it) at the expense of a younger player with actual potential.

For all those of you pointing to media interviews from his teammates or himself as “proof” that he is well-liked and that his teammates love him… well what else do you expect? These guys are coached not to blast each other and they do it for the good of the team. Ask any one of these guys in confidence and the answer you will get is very, very different.

Gomez is terrible and I can’t wait for him to be off the roster (hopefully tomorrow).

52. habs17 says:

ummmmmm, a certain some1 scored the game winner lastnite

I support Scott Gomez

53. pastor_prime says:

I don’t understand all the ‘tankers’. What fan would rather see his or her favorite team lose even one game? Besides, tanking is no recipe for a cup, look at Edmonton or Toronto, tanking year after year, I don’t see any imminent cups there.. Boston (though, if they hadn’t broken somebody’s neck, wouldn’t have won the cup) has built a contender without tanking. But most of all, I don’t want to think that tanking is really a good strategy, because it corrupts the value of the actual individual hockey games which I, as a fan, prefer to invest in as much as my recently bruised and battered habs fan pride will allow.

Only Gomez knows what being Gomez feels like.

I posted this yesterday, (all Summiteers take note)

NEWS FLASH!!
    To all the 2011 Summiteers.
    I received this thank you note to-day from the Canadiens Childrens Foundation.
    By next season’s 2012 Summit, HIO Fans will have donated over $10,000.00 to Children’s Charity. We sure are a fantastic community of hockey fans. Great work everyone!

Dear Mr. Cobb,
    On behalf of the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation I would like to thank you and your wonderful HIO Fan Group for your generous donation.
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
    Best regards
    Sylvie Nadeau
    Coordonnatrice, Dons et administration – Fondation des Canadiens pour l’enfance
    Coordinator, Donations and Administration – Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation
    Canadiens de Montréal

55. SmartDog says:

PLAN THE PARADE…. FOR 2015
    Good win, but don’t get too excited. Here’s how deep our hole is: we could win our next EIGHT games straight, with all other teams in our conference winning about an average of half their games, and we’d STILL be out of the top 8.

PATCHES
    Amazing to see this guy play today. I still remember thinking his career was over last year, or that he wouldn’t be the same. Damn he’s awesome.

GOMEZ
    One goal people. And he sucked besides that – lots of peripheral play and bad passes. Couldn’t believe the stupid pass he made to Kostitsyn. They entered the zone to the write with Kostitsyn 5 feet behind and two defensemen on them, and Gomez turns and dishes to AK like “here – you shoot”. The puck didn’t even reach him before the two D pounced and it was back the other way. Only an idiot would make that pass, anyone else would either try to get to the net or turn back and buy space. Gomez has bad judgement. And that is another reason it took him a year to score a goal.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• joeybarrie says:

Its funny you say that. Cause the guys who play the game for a living have been telling us otherwise. That being said given his salary, most fair weathered fans will continue to bash him and only see the bad. He has sucked the last year. But it isn’t ONLY his fault. Last night he put 4 goals on players sticks who couldn’t cash. Yes Gomez has underperformed, but he is a playmaker, and our guys have had HUGE problems scoring.
      But by all means, keep idly blaming Gomez. Cause without him, we would have 1 less underperforming player.

• SmartDog says:

I agree it’s not his fault he has so few points. Totally everyone else. Weird, but there you have it.

I also agree he’s not quite worth $7.5 million. What do you think he’s worth? What would another team pay for him now? $5? $4? What would your guess be?

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

Gomez turning also gave all the information Nabokov needed to position himself and make a save, if need be.
      I’m just glad Gomez got a goal so people can focus on something else, it definately was like a dark cloud around the team.

• likehoy says:

when the hell is gomez going to score a 2nd goal?!

• shiram says:

Does not matter, he scored.

• likehoy says:

delusions! 7.37 million per goal is absurd!!

scoring 1 goal doesn’t change the fact that gomez is a blackhole.

• Sap Anderson says:

How does it not matter? The guy is taking up a huge part of the salary cap and has only just gotten over the point-per-million mark

What a loser!

• shiram says:

Honestly I could not care less if Gomez does not ever score another goal, I think he’ll be gone before next season, so it’s not an issue for me.
            I was just so very tired of the un-original hate-on he was getting, everyone is aware how gomez plays, the piling on was getting tiresome.

• likehoy says:

I actually like the way gomez plays for the most part.. he’s lately been very close to the other teams puck carrier in the neutral zone at all times.. causing turnovers and making their job difficult. I think Gomez may be the best neutral zone player on the Canadiens.. but terrible in the other two zones lol.

• G-Man says:

You’re as predictable as a bad smell after a particularly loud fart.
      Keep preaching how shitty Gomez is while his teammates (you know, the ones that matter to him) keep saying the opposite. You’ve been smelling your poop for too long and it’s affected your thinking.

• SmartDog says:

Yah he must be REALLY snakebitten to not score a goal in 50 games while playing so well. Pffffffttttt

Very eloquent by the way.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• G-Man says:

Your practically unrivalled hatred for Gomez and management and coaching of the Habs leads me to wonder something. Why bother? If all the Habs do is give you conniptions, where’s the enjoyment? Is it so at the end of the season you can be “right”? I mean, after the 1000+ posts you’ve done ranting about Gomez, it is an OCD thing now?

• SmartDog says:

I was right about Gomez. Most people were wrong. I think that includes you. If he was an “okay” player – if he put up MOEN points – we’d have won more games and be in the playoff hunt. He’s promised over and over to be better but he still plays bad. Do I hate that? Yah. Sue me.

I like Cunneyworth by the way. I want to see more but I think he’s a good coach and handles the players well, which is a very important thing. Thanks for making up stuff though. I bet you find it always makes for a more civil argument.

————————————-
            Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• HabFanSince72 says:

The essential difference between H I/O trolls and farts: With farts, the silent ones are the worst.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Mustang says:

S-Dog I am amazed at the Gomez love-in that we are hearing about today. This is the most expensive goal ever scored by the Montreal Canadiens. I am not trying to rain on his parade but even if we forget about his salary, as a star forward he should have scored at least 10 or 12 goals so far this season. Max scored a hat trick and all we hear about is Gomez finally scoring in more than a year.

• SmartDog says:

It’s crazy. Yah, let’s talk about Max… what a game. I love that kid, he’s the real deal. He and Cole are such a great 1-2 punch and methinks the student is over-taking the master soon.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

56. joeybarrie says:

For all the tankers. What do these players have in common?
    Kadri, LeBlanc, Myers, Karlsson, Couture, McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Kopitar, Zajac, Carter, Parise, Getzlaf, Lupul, Semin, Frolov, and Hartnell.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

57. BLACK ICE says:

They never even looked the vid of the high stick goal last night! Price was screwed out of a shutout last night! As long as Buttman is running the show the NBHL will go down further & further …

58. joeybarrie says:

Honestly. How can anyone say that their first goal was good. The decision was made so fast as well. Complete nonsense. I wish someone would call them out on it. Price deserved a shut out, and there is no doubt in my mind that he would have gotten one should the rules have been correctly applied.
    Its astonishing to me that these things are allowed to happen. Cause I guarantee that if it was for our 4th goal. It would have been disallowed.
    Honestly, get that team out of Long Island.

• G-Man says:

It’s one of those rinks where when you speak slightly loud there is an echo.

• shiram says:

Refs said it was a good call on the ice, so the guys in Toronto had to prove it was not good to disallow the goal.
      I figure they could not conclusively prove it was over the height limit.
      It seems it was too high to me too.

• joeybarrie says:

On the replays I saw, I could tell it was too high. I don’t have the benefit of their equipment. No doubt in my mind it was a bs call, to give a pathetic Expos sized crowd something to cheer for.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• likehoy says:

isn’t that flawed logic?

if needing the benefit of equipment is the necessary condition to overturn a decision made on the ice, and they didn’t overturn it.. but you have no benefit of the equipment and you think they should over turn it?

• joeybarrie says:

I don’t NEED their equipment. That’s why it would only be a benefit. I don’t THINK they should’ve overturned it.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• likehoy says:

sorry I don’t think I understand your logic.

if by HAVING the equipment is the necessary condition to determining whether to overturn a call, and the call was not overturned,

then how can you KNOW that it should have been overturned?

if you’re saying that you don’t need the equipment to make the call, why do we have the equipment to begin with? why do we go to Toronto?

I’m sorry I don’t understand how you can KNOW the call should be overturned if you haven’t satisfied any of the conditions

You should just stick to saying it’s your opinion and you believe, but not generalize your statements

59. alwayssunny says:

I know you can’t look ahead and you’ve got to take it one game at a time. But how can you not be excited about the Canadiens playoff chances when they get on a roll like this? It was only a matter of time until Gomez caught on fire and now he is ready to put this team on his back and carry it to the promised land.

60. Rudy says:

Does anyone have a link to the bench reaction when Gomez scored? I’m in the states and the RDS website keeps freezing on me.

61. Cardiac says:

So the Habs are in 11th… for now.

The Islanders, Sabres, and Lightning all still have two games in hand. Two or potentially all three could leapfrog over us by the end of the week.

The three wins in a row is good for team morale, good for the city, us as fans, etc. But it’s going to be too little too late.

My fear is we are going to make a late season push and up 2-5 points short of a playoff spot and end up with another middle of the pack draft pick.

- Jerry Maguire

62. Richard B says:

I encourage everyone to keep praying.

Richard B

63. HabFanSince72 says:

I have to mea culpa myself regarding Tim Thomas.

When he refused to go to the White House I thought it was as a birther/tea partier who just didn’t like the fact that there was an African American president. I didn’t believe his justification: that he was just opposed to the Fed Govt meddling in people’s lives.

However he has now proved me wrong.

His recent tweet opposing the Catholic Church for meddling in individuals’ reproductive health choices shows that he really does stick up for the individual against large meddlesome institutions.

Well done Timmy.

And sincere apologies.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Rugger says:

You got it backwards, Thomas is backing the Church not individuals.

• 123456 says:

if the media and fans would stop following his remarks they woudl fall on def ears and noone would care. i am generally conservative but i think it was disrespectful to not visit the white house – was it his free choice – hell yea it was…. that is what makes our (US) country so great. but given these freedom i’d still like to see respect given when due. i do not think obama has done a good job, but given a chance to meet him i woudl be there is a heartbeat – he is part of american history – like it or not.

• Gerry H says:

lol

Mebbe Teabag Timmy is just pissed that Rome is evidently backing the Habs.

• Strummer says:

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion- unles you’re a libertarian ice hockey goaltender.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

• RetroMikey says:

There are always two sides to a story and what you hear is what the media wants you to hear and not Thomas’s story in this case.
      Tim Thomas is a world class athlete, have met him several times in fundraisers, he’s a winner, off and on the ice!
      If I were to pick a goalie to lead us to our next Cup, it would be either Rinne or Thomas….in a heartbeat.
      I am still not sold on Price if he has what it takes to play under pressure and win the big series, or a Cup with us.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

64. 123456 says:

i thought borque was weak on many plays

gomez still a defensive liability – great to see him score a nice goal

patches – what can you say… one of the keys to his success… GET OPEN to give yourself a shot

price played very well

WTF with toronto doing replays – was the highstick goal even looked at? yes it was close but seemed 100% over the crossbar

65. novahab says:

Molson should take the tape to Bettman and demand he fire everyone in Toronto. A 3 year old looking at that tape in slow motion or stop the frame can see that was a high stick. Bettman the crook ,it called game fixing. Move the GM war room to Halifax have people from Halifax man it. Get the dam thing out of Toronto, what a joke.

• Cardiac says:

He’s too busy selling beer and posing for PR pictures. Wanna know how much clout he has with league officials? Remember the letter he issued to the fans after Chara wasn’t suspended for almost killing Pacioretty? How effective was he in that situation?

- Jerry Maguire

• Strummer says:

When Molson speaks- everyone says “what did he say?”

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

66. LafleurFan says:

Like the Rene Bourque scenario, undrafted, 4 years at Badger’s Bob’s alma mater, FREE AGENT signing as a 22 yr. old by Chicago.

Brian Burke’s one and only Cup win in Anaheim, was serendipity. Good draftees in Getzlaff and Perry, but FREE AGENTS Scott Niedermayer (who wanted to play with brother Rob), Teemu Selanne, Andy McDonald, Dustin Penner, and the benefit of obtaining Chris Pronger (“my-wife-hates-Edmonton”) for Lupul and 1st round picks.

Say no to tanking! (Machiavelli was a Sith!)

“May you live in interesting times.”

67. jew4jah says:

if only JT could take the other JT’s job at the gazette.

chara = חרה

68. Marcusman says:

On the HIGH stick goal by Moulson…..if you watched the game on RDS last night they showed 4 angles of the tap in. 3 of them were the wrong angle…one of the from the end boards in the corner was bang on…they showed the other 3 angles 3-4 times each and never the corner shot.

How does the tv director miss this?

Te goal should not of counted..

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Agreed. It was clearly both above the cross bar and above his shoulder. Price should have had a shutout. Good win and I liked how cool Gomez was in scoring for the first time in a year. At least, it looked like he’d done it before.
      By the way, I can’t help but say you mean should not HAVE counted.

• TomNickle says:

I can’t say definitively that the goal shouldn’t have counted. But what I can say is that the video review of that goal was amazingly quick and in no way was enough time for them to conclusively call it a goal.

Officials must have had an early flight booked.

• New says:

Yeah I thought it was too quick as well. Almost like they hadn’t captured the feeds. The NHL is like that though. They want gate receipts, close games, comebacks, and shootouts. Like wrestling – most of the paying customers come for the show.

69. HabFanSince72 says:

Trade Travis Moen or sign him?

If we trade him for a #2 pick (presumably roughly a 50-60th pick) is that worth it? Those picks have a 1/5 chance of ever making the NHL.

If we sign him, what is he worth and will he accept it? His current salary is $1.5M/year. He is now 30 years old.

If we can get him for $2M/yr for 3 years is it a good deal?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• If they could sign him at 2Mill as you suggest i would say sign him, no question. He’s a great value and is one of the few tougher Habs.

• G-Man says:

3 years at 1.75mil. Try to sign him now. If he doesn’t sign, time to go. He is a player with size in a shutdown role. Definitely worth it. You never hear about Moen complaining about anything. Good for the team.

• TomNickle says:

The thing about those low dividend second round picks is that they do actually have value. They’re often used by teams to move up in draft selection at the draft or to acquire a good roster player who can contribute for a long time.

Runblad and a 2nd for Turris is a great example.

Imagine the Habs finish with the 10th pick and can use their 1st this season, a 2nd(presumably acquired by trading Gill or Moen) and another insignificant piece to acquire the 2nd or 1st pick in the draft.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Good point.

• Chris says:

I would love to imagine such a trade, but it is an EXTREMELY long shot to hope for. Once teams know they are in the running for a top-5 pick, they generally don’t deal that pick, and a top-2 pick is so rarely in play that it isn’t even worth contemplating.

The last time a top-2 pick was traded, it was the 1st overall pick (Marc-Andre Fleury) and a 3rd round pick (Daniel Carcillo) in exchange for the 3rd overall pick (Nathan Horton), a 2nd round pick (Stefan Meyer) and Mikael Samuelsson. That is the closest thing to your proposed scenario but it only worked because it was a 3rd overall pick (not a 10th) and the consensus top player in the draft was a goalie, which Florida was not interested in with Roberto Luongo in the fold.

In 2001, the 2nd overall pick (Jason Spezza), Zdeno Chara and Bill Muckalt were sent to the Senators by the New York Islanders in exchange for Alexei Yashin. Such a lopsided trade probably can’t happen again unless somebody gives Mike Milbury a GM position again.

I’m not disagreeing with you that 2nd round picks are useful. The Senators packaged 2 second round picks to acquire a late 1st round pick in last year’s draft, and they grabbed Matt Puempel, a player that I think could still be a dark-horse sniper down the road. I just don’t see much chance of jumping up in the draft using picks…the only way to get one of those of late has been to make a trade and hope that the other team unexpectedly struggles, like the Leafs with the Kessel trade.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, there’s no way they could move from 10th to 1st/2nd pick with a 2nd rounder + insignificant piece. Not a chance.

Torranna moved from 7 to 5 to pick Schenn, and they gave up what? a 2nd and 3rd to do so, i think.

• HabFanSince72 says:

No need to go back that far. We got Tinordi with a second rounder.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ont fan says:

I agree…moen is a nice piece but if you happen to get a 2nd..you can use it like the Tinordi deal…someone will make a switch with 1st and your 2nd..it may be big if we have 5th overall and want to move down one.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

If a lack of available players drives up Moen’s value to being tradeable for a prospect then I would like the Habs to gamble but if all PG can get in return in a 2nd rounder then I’d prefer they keep him. After all, a lot of criticism this year has been about our lack of grit, depth and the 3rd & 4th lines so ….

• Chris says:

I’m not a huge Moen fan, but he is a good leader that sets a strong example for his teammates and he is an excellent penalty killer.

The best teams in the NHL have strong 4th lines. Moen is a great 4th line player. But you can’t over-pay 4th line players…they are typically in the $0.8-1.5 M range.

Moen got off to a hot start for his skill level this season with 6 goals and 8 points in his first 18 games. But since then, he has amassed his more typical 3 goals and 8 points in 30 games. In his two previous seasons, he had 16 and 19 points. At 30 years old, he will never be more than what he is now.

70. joshua94k says:

The Church places an advertisement to God. Scott Gomez finally scores, the Habs win again. There is no stopping the Canadiens now.

Once again the 3rd period meltdown is attributed to the officiating against the Canadiens. A questionalbe penalty call, a clear high stick and the goal is allowed. This stuff is been happening all year long.

During the 2010 play-offs the officiating tried their best to elminate the Canadiens during the Pens and Caps series, but couldn’t.

Last year the Bruins scored their 3rd period goal after three missed infractions on that play in game 7.

In Ontario, Panic is setting in. The Senators are in a slump and the Leafs are beginning a prolonged one. Once again Team 590 discussed the 93 Leafs and how they were probably a better team than the 93 Habs, and how the Habs were lucky.

Fact is you cannnot win a 4 round play-offs with luck. The Stanley Cup is the toughest championship to win. One win can be lucky, not 16 wins.

With a win on saturday, it is going be a tough battle but no one has a play-off spot locked by a long shot.

Can’t wait to see Sportsnet issue with a correction, instead of the Habs, it will feature the Leafs who are in decline.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I always thought Ottawa would start to go down the standings. They are 28th in goals against.

The Leafs are hardly better in 23rd place.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

71. LafleurFan says:

Nice win but some weaknesses noticed with the Isles 2nd goal (the 1st was flukey). Streit’s goal was scored on a grade A scoring chance. Before criticizing Andrei, I saw his positioning as needed support of the D-men, i.e. AK was behind the net to gain possesion of the puck which he achieved. An experienced shut down guy would have eaten it there, banged around, and hopefully, no expectedly, teammates would have gained advantageous positions instead of being in scramble mode. The soft clearing attempt up the left boards was like a primo Islander pass to the point, and the subsequent pass to Streit lead to a fait accompli.

My questions are, could a shut down D-man (Nicklas Kronwald) have controlled the zone better than needing AK46 to retreat deep, and where were Gomez and Cole on the play? Coaching tasks are in order.

“May you live in interesting times.”

72. Habfan10912 says:

At the risk of nit picking dont you think that Rene B could learn a few things from Patches. They have similar bodies and from a distance skills. Rene goes missing for great gaps some games. Kind of like AK. I guess the difference is heart cause Patches certainly has plenty of that.

73. Leucotome says:

If only Gomez would have scored at home…

74. Psycho29 says:

Interesting stat on TSN-990:
    Patches is on track for 35 goals. The last Hab to do so was Kovalev.
    The last home grown player to do so was Stephane Richer in 1989.

• Kappy says:

WOW… I sure hope he nets 35. That would give him a lot of confidence going forward.
      To think his career was put in jeopardy by that vicious hit from that big dumb bastard!!
      I can’t help but think what would have been in last years playoffs if we would of had Patches. I don’t think the bruins would be celebrating a cup win. But, that’s what happens when you have the NHL in your back pocket and your players daddy’s work in the front office!! Pathetic.

75. G-Man says:

Time for a new name and a new attitude, or do you want the Habs to lose all the time. My attitude is this: F*** losing.

76. joeybarrie says:

How can you win a Cup with guys who are willing to tank? How can you get players to sign here when the mentality is to lose?
    The only way to really have a good shot is to tank for years and start new. Its a 10 year process. Why would I want to see my team lose for 10 years?
    Tanking is honestly for the daft.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

77. Strummer says:

There’s no honour in finishing nineth.
    Draft pick at 14 is much better.
    No-ones going to care next year where you finished unless its with a Cup

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

78. Mattyleg says:

Man, you’d HATE it if we won the Cup.
    What a terrible draft pick we’d get!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

79. Sap Anderson says:

My hate has not blinded me. I see it pretty damn clearly, my friend.

Gomez does not care, and his teammates hate him (not personally, but because he gets priority and icetime ahead of them due to his large contract and the GM’s ego).

Take the info for what it’s worth… some guy on the internet telling you he knows these things. But I happen to be privy to this information (some first-hand and some second-hand) and I’m sharing it. What you do with it or think of it is up to you

80. mb says:

“Gomez does not care, and his teammates hate him”…

Yeah, they obviously do… Especially when you see them smiling and congratulating him on the bench after he scores, and when they all are happy for him. Yup, strong hate there.

81. G-Man says:

Privy schmivy- yet another guy on the internet with an unnamed source. Ho-hum.

82. ZepFan2 says:

^^^^ :lol:

They hate him so much that they flew over to hug him as soon as he scored.

Good thing we have your insight to the room.

———————————————————————-
    “Wins? We don’t need no stinkin’ wins!”

83. Mattyleg says:

Hey, apparently his injury didn’t come from anything on the ice: during a road trip, two guys held him down with the sheets on his bunk, and all the other players came in and beat him with soap bars stuffed into their socks.

You don’t have to believe me, but let’s just say this: I KNOW. Don’t ask me how. Don’t. Don’t do it. I just know. I don’t know how I know, I just DO. And now you do too. If you believe me, which I don’t care if you do or not. But you should. Because I know. I have contacts. Don’t ask me who they are. I won’t tell you. Message me, and I’ll tell you who told me. You might not recognize their name, but I do, and he KNOWS.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

84. mb says:

OMG! So you’re an insider! So you do know EVERYTHING! I can’t believe you have access to a private source who provides you such scoops!!! LUCKY!

85. Mattyleg says:

I don’t like to brag, but I’m amazing, and even a vague connection with me makes you considerably better as a person.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

86. RGM says:

Says the guy that has spoken of nothing but tanking for the past 3 months. LOL

Bazinga!

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez, a potential Hall of Fame player, has two Stanley Cup rings and a Calder Trophy that says ‘I’m a player whom any authentic NHL coach will rely on to fix a game problem.’” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

87. JohnBellyful says:

BIN!
    (the game for people who think Bingo takes too long)

88. WestHab says:

72 51 67
    72 51 67
    72 51 67
    72 51 67

“Merci beaucoup.” Randy Cunnyworth

47 47 47
    47 47 47
    47 47 47
    47 47 47

90. ZepFan2 says:

@HH

Double shifting 32?

———————————————————————-
    “Wins? We don’t need no stinkin’ wins!”

91. montreal ace says:

you guys feel comfortable hiking when you dont have a football

92. jimmy shaker says:

Is that LeBeau or MAB?

Shaker

93. HabsFan82 says:

WestHab: if we had 4-lines like that. there would be a parade downtown Montreal June 2012.

94. boing007 says:

Let’s not forget Guy Carbonneau. Great two way player.

Richard R

95. Les Canayens says:

I’m pretty sure he’s referring to MAB

He might as well do this:

47 47 47
    47 47 47
    47 47 47
    47 47 47

47 47
    47 47
    47 47

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭

96. Stev.R says:

I remember everyone praying that he wouldn’t take Kopitar because nobody trusted a Slovenian to turn out. He made a pick that some questioned at the time, but it was a good one.

97. nickster13 says:

agreed. IMO, defencement and goalies should never be picked in the top 5, because they take much longer to pan out, and are thus more unpredictable. Gotta grab big offensive talent with those slots! Now that we have the goalie, I hope we dont do that again anytime soon. Price was a good pick, but like you said, at number 5 that’s pretty steep

98. Mark C says:

Based on all this Kopitar love, you must have loved the AK46 pick then, since all the knocks on Kopitar were the same for AK.

99. otter649 says:

La got lucky with Kopitar @ 11 overall but then a couple years later the hockey gods got even when their 4th overall pick dman Thomas Hickey still has not made The NHL……..lol

Thanks for spotting that. I put Blunden on the 4th line.

101. Un Canadien errant says:

Unfortunately, Mike Blunden is out 4-6 weeks after arthroscopic knee surgery. Sounds like cartilage damage based on the video of his check and the recovery period. It could also be a mild MCL sprain (1st degree or 1-2nd degree). If it’s a MCL, I’ve had experience with those, he can come back at full strength relatively quickly if he works hard at his rehab. I suffered one in my left knee in January 2001, and was back on the snow by March.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?