The bible is available

McKeen’s Hockey Pool Yearbook, our fave, is on newstands; and everyone is urged to plunk down their $7.99 for a copy … even though Mike Cammalleri isn’t on the cover.

What distinguishes McKeen’s are player evaluations from real scouts. Candid insight makes for great reading.

McKeen’s picks the Canadiens to finish seventh in the East with 93 points – one more than the Rangers, two up on Tampa Bay.

Taylor Hall tops their list of Calder Trophy candidates, but guess who’s runner-up? (Hint: His name begins with two initials.) And they like Lars Eller’s potential.

While we’e playing, let’s test your knowledge of the Canadiens. Here are some quotes from McKeen’s scouting assessments. Let’s see if you can figure out the players they’re describing. (For answers, click below):

a) “Elegant stickhandler and strong shooter, sporting a heavy shot and quick release … Prone to lapses in urgency and judgment … learning to activate his feet away from the puck and not wait for linemates to do the dirty work”

b) “Offensive-oriented playmaker with excellent vision … swift and nimble … accelerates rapidly and generates tremendous top speed … Over-extends himself, holding the puck too long or turning it over in risky areas of the ice”

c) “Competes effectively in his own end, aided by strong positioning and stickwork … Not overly big and tends to get banged up over the long haul”

d) “Talented skater, fast and fluid in all directions … Can be underwhelming along the boards and in the defensive zone due to his lack of size”

e) Moves fluently with the puck and shows good elusiveness and creativity … Defensive postures and positioning still require refinement, even if he is a conscientious backchecker”

• Another assessment of the Canadiens’ talent, from Premium Scouting

• Brilliant piece by Yves Boisvert on the French fact and the Canadiens

• The end is near for Uncle George in Liverpool

a) Benoit Pouliot

b) Scott Gomez

c) Jaroslav Spacek

d) Tomas Plekanec

e) Lars Eller

1. Da Hema says:

I am not an expert on the organisation of professional sports teams, but neither of your claims seem plausible to me. Timmins’ imprint is all over this organisation. He is not some minor manager in the Canadiens’ organisation. Indeed, Timmins had been announcing the draft selections at the amateur drafts, a role almost uniformly performed by general managers. His official title is Director of Player Recruitment and Development. Unless the Canadiens as an organisation have absolutely no administrative nor managerial accountability, he would certainly be responsible for more than merely selecting players at the draft. Timmins would oversee the young players from the scouting stage to their final ascent to the NHL, which would include the team’s farm system.

Sorry, but your statements appear to me utterly implausible.

————————

“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge….”

–Hunter S. Thompson

2. LA Loyalist says:

G*d let’s hope you are right a) on skill and b) on character, maturity and willingness to pay the price.

We’ve needed a big center with some cojones for many years and I have harshly criticized the Halak deal in these pages.

But let’s hope you are right.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

3. LA Loyalist says:

I’m just throwing this out for you guys to discuss. A lot of the difficulties we’ve had seem to come from a lack of, maybe character is too broad a term, but a lack of fire or passion or courage — something that might just be maturity.

My question is how can we hold Timmins responsible for the speed at which someone matures? Isn’t that the manager and coaches? Timmins job is to identify and track skill, how much does he have to look for character and maturity?

I’m not defending or slamming him, I don’t know – can you guys provide some insight? It does seem weird that all the troops are fired and the head is still there.

Latendresse and Price are two prime examples of VERY badly handled young men with unquestionable ability. They were both rushed and both couldn’t handle it. And until our management ACKNOWLEDGE – even just to themselves – that they blew it with Latendresse and Price (if Price redeems himself it will be no thanks to Habs management) we won’t do better with future kids and we won’t win another cup that I can guarantee you.

The train wreck that was Price and Latendresse was 100% Gainey and Carbonneau (and I loved them both as players and I opened champagne when they became our leaders so this is damn painful to acknowledge for me).

I’m sure it was beyond frustrating for Carbo and Gainey to deal with these young millionaires who somehow are not prepared to bleed (literally, in some cases) bleu, blanc, rouge as they were. Not many guys left more on the ice than Carbo and Gainey.

Martin was a great strategist in the playoffs last year, all credit due.

But in the big picture, my concern is that we let that young coach Boucher go. Maybe the game has changed so much that management has to change more than it has.

I’m not (unlike most of my posts) trying to pick a brawl. I really would appreciate your thoughts. If the talent pipeline is messed up how can we surprised at what comes out of it when it’s bad?

4. nightmare_49 says:

Many posters can learn something from this article by Justin Bourne.

Bourne Blog: The hockey locker-room clique scouting report

5. Uwey says:

Why is it we blame Timmins??? Yet youngsters like S. Kostitsyn, Pacorietty & O’Bryne had great success, as short as it may have been in some cases, under the coaching of Donnie Lever & Guy Boucher, using these players to make the Bulldogs very successful over the past numbers years. But when they get to the NHL level, they are confussed by the coaching & the system. Latendresse could be yet another solid young player the Habs let go because of poor instruction at the NHL level, he would have benefitted IMO from some AHL time as would Price with at least one more season at that level, though it may not have made a difference if you consider the others progress once they played in Montreal.

Let’s hope this trend does not continue & we see PK Subban’s slip under the Habs coaching staff in Montreal or Lars Eller for that matter.

6. nightmare_49 says:

Lots of NHL Tidbits from Fluto Shinzawa – Boston.com

–

7. HabFanSince72 says:

1. He is not in charge of developing the players after they’re picked. He has nothing to do with players being rushed to the NHL, if that was the case (I’m not sure it was).

2. He actually emphasized defence with his picks. Man of his d prospects were traded (nothing to do with him) or decided to stay in Russia.

8. nightmare_49 says:

Here is what Steve Simmons had to say this Sunday:

–   The Atlanta Thrashers say that Dustin Byfuglien will play defence for them this season. Good luck to them. I’ll give it 10 games before Byfuglien is spending more time in front of the opposition’s net rather than in front of his own.

–  A Sunday question: If Tomas Kaberle is the power-play specialist he is purported to be, how come the Maple Leafs have been 30th, 16th, 15th and 16th with the man advantage the past four seasons? And did you know the last time the Leafs had a high-end power play, Bryan McCabe played the part of shooter and Jason Allison handled the puck down low.

–   The Devils aren’t the only NHL team that has some salary cap paring to do in the next month. The Vancouver Canucks need to move $3.6 million US in salary and the Boston Bruins are just behind them at $3 million. How comfortable willl training camp be with veterans worrying about who’s getting moved or shipped to the minors?

–  Not hockey but the Department of no surprise: The ex-wrestler, Jim (The Anvil) Neidhart, was arrested this week in nowhere Florida for possession of Oxycontin and methadone. Bet you didn’t know The Anvil tried out for the Calgary Stampeders prior to turning to wrestling.

Read more of Steve Simmons sports article:  http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_simmons/2010/09/11/15321646.html

9. The Cat says:

Good point.

10. Da Hema says:

I guess so. I recall three to four years ago how many people were praising Timmins on the basis of the potential of the team’s youth. Yet how many of these same players are either gone (e.g., Komisarek) or soon to be out the door (e.g., Andrei Kostitsyn)? Ironically, the best development project for Timmins was Jaroslav Halak, and now he too is elsewhere. My criticisms of Timmins are not focused on his draft picks (which to be fair is an extremely inexact science) but rather his priorities (e.g., after six years the team still does not have sufficient numbers of defence prospects) and his development of players such as Price, the Kostitsyns, Latendresse, and Pacioretty–all of whom were “rushed to the ice” before they were geniunely ready to play NHL-level hockey. Let’s just say that if Tampa Bay comes and “steals” Timmins away, I will not consider it such a great loss.

————————

–Hunter S. Thompson

11. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m guessing the early success is enough for the management to consider them valuable results, provided these prospects continue to improve and look good.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. mbplekfan says:

The junior/amatuer draft is the biggest scam going.

Its a lottery, under-age players picked based on someones guess as to how they will turn out.

But for some reason the free-agents like Brock Trotter mostly turn into duds.

13. Da Hema says:

That may explain the rationale behind the team’s decision not to hold Timmins accountable for player development, and instead place that accountability on a few full- and part-time scouts, but I find parts of your reasoning somewhat odd. You appear to be falling into the same peculiar reasoning as others about Timmins. Since Kristo, Leblanc, Dumont, and Avtsin have yet to play even one single NHL regular season game, surely you must admit it is too early to say these choices were a “success.” Timmins’ work should be assessed on basis of how his selections during his tenure have fared in the NHL. By that standard, he is certainly no guru. The Habs would have fared better in the first round of the last five drafts merely by selecting the Central Scouting Bureau choices than the ones Timmins made.

————————

–Hunter S. Thompson

14. SeriousFan09 says:

If Subban wasn’t such a successful pick, Timmins might be out the door, but coupled with the exceptional NCAA seasons of Kristo, Leblanc, Dumont’s dominance in the Q and Avtsin crossing the pond, Timmins record from 2007 onwards has bought him enough room to keep on along with recent success by prospects.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. mbplekfan says:

Goaltender value is extemely low right now.

PG managed to pick up a top end prospect in a position we are short at as well as add a physical presence to our farm system with the other player. In addition with the money we saved he signed our #1-2 center.

Three players, one impact, one top flight prospect, and one physical-leadership project for a surplus goalie. This will turn into a steal by mid next year.

16. Da Hema says:

Interesting reviews. The one thing that took me by surprise earlier this year was when the team essentially razed its scouting department, and yet somehow Trevor Timmins, the person in charge, managed to keep his job. The Canadiens’ scouting, drafting, and player development–which again is Timmins’ entire domain–over the last six years has at best been middling. I will concede the team has more organisational quantity than it did prior to Gainey and Timmins–which we should not discount given those brutal years between 1997 and 2004–but I must say the current batch of prospects do not appear to me to be much more than serviceable bodies in the years ahead. Unfortunately, too many commentators early on were calling Timmins a “guru,” but, like the players he has drafted and developed, his performance in my opinion has been less than satisfactory.

————————

–Hunter S. Thompson

17. HabFanSince72 says:

The Lars Eller review from premium scouting sure makes me think we got the better of the Blues.

After all, they could have had Niemi for free, and at half the salary of Halak. So getting anything out of them is good. Getting a potential 1st line centre? Great deal.

No kidding.

19. megagoten says:

i went thursday and it wasn’t available >_< now i fear going again because if it’s still not available, i’ll pass off as a super nerdy guy

20. ooder says:

imo it’s pretty stupid to switch a 37 year old to his non natural side.

spacek has always played on the left and then he was swtiched right.

the guy is a pure team player and didn’t complain but it was obviosu he wasn’t comfortable.

usually at that age during the season vets like spacek just go through the motions and rely on reflexes, but Spacek struggled and you can tell that he even had trouble working the puck because it was a different side for him.

——————

88 is the new 23

21. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

You can get it at Chapters and Indigo!

That’s where I got mine (last year).

22. punkster says:

What, you ran out of Celine videos to watch?

FREE TIMO!

23. CanadienBoy says:

Spacek was bad last year but made it  up by the way  he handle Ovie in the playoff as far as he go , can only go up which is good for the Hab !!

24. JIMVINNY says:

Me too, but I really wanted to see Rafa get the career grand slam against Federer.  He’s beaten Federer in every other slam final except for the US Open, and I really think that beating Roger here would have cemented his legacy.

25. Yeats says:

Thanks! I was just screwing around on Youtube between Queen videos when I found those.

26. daveho29 says:

Anyone know if I can get this Magazine out west. Never seen it but sounds like it might be usefull for the hockey pools i am in.

27. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Good stuff Robert,  great reading for any Habs fan.

28. Yeats says:

You may not like the final score, but the quality of this footage is worth the watch.

Is that the Gumper in the net for the Rags?

I’d love to see Rafa get the Grand Slam!!!

30. Harani says:

Off topic but anyone watch The Djoker-Fed semifinal at the US Open? What a match! And makes you really respect the sport because they are out their on their own. All is set for a Novak-Rafa final tomorrow. If you have a chance, don’t miss it! VAMOS!

“It must be love!”

31. petrov14 says:

Darn, I only got Gomez right. I was thinking #1 was AK46 for sure.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

32. Mikey_39 says:

Same here.  And I thought c was Josh Gorges also cuz he’s always putting his body on the line for the team.

33. fbkj says:

ummmm why was my comment deleted?

was my use of the word “shrug” offensive?

anywhoo

“jusqu’à la fin des années 1960, le Canadien avait droit au premier choix au repêchage québécois.
    Les meilleurs Québécois appartenaient d’office à «leur» équipe, avec laquelle ils rêvaient naturellement de jouer”

i questioned why this is still perpetuated to this day… especially considering it wasnt that black and white…

second to last paragraph sums it up

i pray to the mod gods that they dont arbitrarilly delete this post as well

34. ZepFan2 says:

Damn, you beat me to it.

I thought the same thing when I read that. The same bs myth that by now, should be clear it’s a bs myth.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

I totally agree with Mike, this is a must buy. Ian Morrell is the fellow who oversees this magazine and he is the ultimate hockey nut. Lives in Scarborough with his wife who is a principal with the TDSB (my former employer). He has a long list of contacts who scout every aspect of the hockey world. Mckeen’s Hockey is far superior to anything the Hockey News puts out.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

I got Spacek for C, because Gorges is an iron man on D and Spacek has had injury issues in the past. Was quite sure AK was first up myself as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. _Habsoloutly_ says:

The Gomez quote is spot on.

38. LA Loyalist says:

$538,000 a goal. Target this year: $400,000. That’s fair, right?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

39. thorandresson says:

I really liked Premium’s Scouting report on the Habs’ prospects, but it made me curious how some of the other young guns would rate at (Subban, Price and Pouliot).  Actually it’d be interesting how they’d rate the whole team for that matter.  Any one out there have any info on this?

40. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m going to tell you what I told a guy at school who wouldn’t stop doing ‘Smoke on the Water’ on his guitar, learn a new tune already.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. soflohabsfan says:

Still on that are you did not read all those replys to you last post about that. Gomez does not get paid to Score goals he gets paid to set them up among others intangibles.

42. fbkj says:

dude although im not thrilled with the contract you do realize that gomez is a playmaker and not a goalscorer right?

of course you do you have been told this

M

A

N

Y

times

goalscoring does not determine the value of all players, its how well they play their role that one guages their value

^

just an example

43. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I personally like Gomez.  I like him as a player,  I like him as a person and I’m more than happy to have him on my team.  Unfortunately, what some of the poster’s here fail to understand is that in a hard cap reality, overpaying any payer (no matter how much you like him!!)  can come to haunt you.  A hard cap salary system dictates financial responsibility, and anyone who isn’t a mindless fanbot sheep can recognize that his contract is a little out of whack.  It’s a hard point to get across here at HIO.

44. habs4ever2894 says:

Most on this site understand that his contract is terrible, but what’s the point of talking about it forever? It’s not like his salary could be changed so why even bring it up anymore? Gomez does what he is supposed to do on nightly basis and is a very good player and thats what we should talk about when it comes to him.

45. soflohabsfan says:

I understand what your saying and agree that Gomez is overpaid and a 5 million cap hit would br much better for him but the reality is that his cap hit is 7.35 million. I can’t think if 1 center that has a 5 million plus cap hit that Gainey could have aquired that summer and at the time Pleks( my fav player) was a question mark.

46. notbigbird says:

Did we not just do this exact comment on the previous pos?. Perhaps you could repeat it tomorrow too.

I can’t wait until we get the cost of a Halak save versus the cost of Price one. Or the difference in the value of goals either of the two let in. C’mon bean counters, get out your abaci.

48. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Good points.  I do agree that Bob’s hands were a little tied when he was shopping for free agent center’s.  As I was saying I really like Gomer, it’s just that the hard salary cap world we live in makes his cap hit hurt us in that it it eats up a little space that is so valuable when building a championship team.

Overall I think we have enough depth with prospects that we will overcome any disadvantage Gomer’s contract gives us, so as I said I am happy to have him in the bleu, blanc et rouge.   The thing that bothers me, it seems on an annual basis, is goal scoring.  I don’t know if it’s just me or if it’s valid, but every year I wonder if we will have the goal support we need to reach the promised land.

49. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I agree that he is a good player, albeit overpaid for his satistical contributions.  But in a hard cap reality GM’s,  (and armchair GM’s like us that like to pontificate)  have to face the reality of dollars and cents.  It’s not the old days where you could just pay through the nostrils and hire expensive free agents willy nilly.  These days financial responsibility is the law of the land if you are even gonna hope to ice a competitive team with a chance of going all the way.

50. soflohabsfan says:

Yeah I know with Cammy and Gio we got 2 legit scorers if only Pouliot and AK step up to there potential then scoring shoul d not be a problem. Hopefully Eller can bring some scoring as well.

51. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Oh man, if Pou Pou, AK, and Eller come out gangbusters and light the lamp often, this team will surprise quite a few people in the hockey world.  I think defensively we are a lot better than a lot of peeps give us credit for.

52. ABHabsfan says:

Also with Gomez on the team before UFA day, the Habs were able to attract Cammy and Gio to the team. Without Gomez that was unlikely to happen so it is hard to put a $ value on that contribution, IMHO

53. RGM says:

Of course she will – and ultimately we’ll bite on it too. Trolling at its finest.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

54. _Habsoloutly_ says:

There seems to be an urban myth around here that “we wouldn’t have got Cammy if we didn’t have Gomez”

The facts at the moment say that Cammy wanted to sign in TO, and was turned down, and he went with the highest bidder after that which was us.

55. otter649 says:

Next season Tom Brady of NE Patroits will get paid more than $1 million dollars a game if the so called salary figures are correct if he completes/plays out his contract……..

PS.  It is throw the torch not passed……….

56. observer says:

No position in pro sports is as vital to success than quarterback in the NFL. And if you have one of the best that’s what it costs to keep him.

57. LA Loyalist says:

You’re right. I must have been thinking of kidney stones.

“To failing hands we’ve thrown the torch.”

58. LA Loyalist says:

By all accounts he’s a great guy and good in the community. At $4M and change. I would shut up.

And the #11 thing still upsets me, though I guess i can’t blame Gomez for Gainey’s sins. i just hope he plays well this year.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

59. LA Loyalist says:

Finally the point is made clearly. Thank you.

That our scoring ability 5 on 5 is so unknown at this point is the main reason that dumping Halak was highly questionable.

If our goat tending (sorry, goal tending) was secure, it would be less of a concern, but we don’t know if Price is ready yet or not, nor even if he ever will be ready. And the converse, if we knew we could reasonably expect to light it up 3, 4,5 times most nights, having a great goalie would be less of an issue.

But with questionable scoring 5 on 5, and questionable goaltending, it’s very hard to project what we’re going to get.

As for Gainey’s shopping for a center – he should have kept Koivu and I will never forgive him for that, though he is due all respect for his great contributions as a player.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

60. LA Loyalist says:

How can I argue with a mullet like that? It’s not fair, that’s what it is.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

61. LA Loyalist says:

minus 6 in the playoffs, dude. Gomez was minus 6 in the playoffs. Plus you should learn to spell gauges.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

62. LA Loyalist says:

How about “Highway Star” :)

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

63. saskhabfan says:

Cammy and Gionta were also a -6,and -4 of those -6  for gomez was when halak was a pilon against the flyers.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

64. fbkj says:

OH NOES NOT T3H TYPOS ON T3H INTERNETS!!!

my point still stands, your kvetching about gomez’s goal production when he was never a dominant goal scorer

65. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

I’m 99.9999% sure that’s not true.  From what I know, Leafs offered Cammy significantly more money, but he passed on it to join the Habs (and thank god he did)

It’s the only single bit of “insider info” I’ve ever had on a hockey player, so I like to break it out as much as possible :-)

66. soflohabsfan says:

So it is quite clear why you harp over Gomez’s goal production still hurting over the lose of Koivu. Don’t get me wrong I wish Saku would have raised the cup in a Habs jersey but at the point in both players career as a pure hockey decision I would still take Gomez.

67. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

And as much as Saku loved Montreal, I’m sure he was quite happy to get a fresh start  in Anaheim.

68. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I guess you missed the recent news story where Cammy admitted he came to Toronto with his agent to try and get a contract from the Leafs, his home town team and the team he wanted to play for.  Here’s the quote’s:

Mike Cammalleri was on the ice with several friends from the Starlight Childen’s Foundation, helping seriously ill children and their families get a morning away from their daily challenges. Cammalleri was raised here, played in the GTHL for the Toronto Red Wings and on July 1, 2009, showed up at the Air Canada Centre to offer his services to Brian Burke.

“I came down with my agent and met with them,” Cammalleri confirmed. “I always loved the city and had a passion for the team here, too. It is what it is, and I didn’t end up in Toronto. That stuff will stay behind closed doors.”

As he has done since arriving, general manager Burke advertised for size and toughness and apparently thought the 5-foot-9 185-pound centre couldn’t deliver those attributes. Disappointed, Cammalleri got on the phone and before Canada Day was done, signed for five years and $30 million US with Montreal. He had 50 points in 65 games and a further 19 in 19 playoff matches during the Habs’ admirable playoff run.

Are you still 99.9999% sure?

69. LA Loyalist says:

Only in Toronto would you have a team called “The Red Wings” when you compete against the Detroit “Red Wings”.

Idiots.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

70. LA Loyalist says:

Fair enough guys. We can agree to disagree.

It’s probably a relief for Koivu to be in Anaheim.

Personally I guess the reason I struggle with closure on this is that we don’t REALLY know why/what/who was going on that caused Gainey to feel he had to do the “night of the long knives” last summer.

I think if I knew, whatever the story was, I would be able to process it and move on. But it’s a fog, thus…

Thanks guys. Talking about it helps.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

71. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

huh……coulda swore it was the case, but I guess I heard wrong.

Seems odd that a player (especially one like Cammy) would openly admit to getting turned down by his first choice, especially given the enthusiasm for the Habs that he showed immediately after signing……either way, bottom line is that I’m sure he now knows he made the right choice…..that, and Brian Burke is clearly deluded.

72. fbkj says:

also who scanned the cover?

73. Mike Boone says:

Me. I’m lousy at scanning.

74. _Habsoloutly_ says:

You were drunk when you scanned that weren’t you Booner?

At least it’s consistent with your photoshopping skills.

76. Lap4Cap says:

He prefers B-luv…

77. _Habsoloutly_ says:

So do I,  but I still toss back a few on occasion.

78. the_larry says:

This bible, just like the other one, is full of fairy tales and false predictions. Its a waste of money. Id rather live in the real world than read about the dream world that had the Habs finishing in 14th last year.

79. christophor says:

?

A middle-of-the-pack team was exactly what the habs were last year, in the real world (playoffs aside, since these are regular season predictions).

consequently, we should expect to find an intact ark somewhere on ararat.

If the Habs still manage to unite a very diverse city from time to time in a common cause, they have accomplished much.

I’d even say unite a Province. That’s why IMHHO Aerobiz’s post on the Gomez has high hopes for 2010-11 thread was so poignant.

81. K-hab25 says: