That’s a wrap

Melissa Leo would call Trade Deadline Day a total #$%^ing bore.

All Montreal Canadiens fans had was a hoax.

A phony Pierre LeBrun Tweeted Dustin Penner from Edmonton for Jarred Tinordi and the Canadiens’ first-round pick.

Plausible enough.

But not true.

Penner is going to L.A. for Colton Teubert (13th overall in 2008), the Kings’ first-round pick this year  and a conditional pick in 2012.

François Gagnon just Tweeted the Canadiens will not make a move today.

Pierre McGuire on the Canadiens: “They’re an older team. The window’s shrinking on them. They don’t have a lot of prospects. Tough to deal.”

“Montreal is not that close to winning at any point,” says Craig MacTavish, explaining the team’s inactivity.

•  •  •

Very expensive price to make L.A. the league leader in physical Dustins.

And it begs the question: Did Edmonton ask for Tinordi and a first?

Line of the Day: “The Kings Speech is a Dean Lombardi press conference. And The Kids Are All Right has become Edmonton’s slogan.”

Late breakers: Habs reunion in Vancouver – Christopher Higgins and Maxim Lapierre.

REAL NEWS: Ryan White isn’t at a very spirited practice in Atlanta. Sending him down for Nigel Dawes?

OK, everyone back to sleep.

A chronicle of this non-eventful day on the jump

• Jason Arnott to Washington for David Steckel (the guy whose hit on Crosby started the concussion problems).

• Brad Richards stays put … and may walk for nothing on July 1.

•  •  •

Dustin Penner shed fewer tears than Ryan Smyth.

“If I tried to fill everyone’s expectations, I would have driven myself clinically insane,” Penner said.

• So a total stranger rings your bell and urges you to taste the pizza you just ordered. And you DON’T phone the police?

• Kings out of the Brad Richards sweepstakes. Rangers or nothing now

• Pierre McGuire reports Penner’s Mrs. Jessica Welch, is a Montreal actress living in L.A. “Nice little bonding there” remark convulses the TSN set.

• Whoah! This is a late biggie: John Mitchell to the Rangers

• Keith Jones likes Caps’ moves, Sturm and Wideman

• Oh, BOOST as part of a daily nutritional diet. I thought (hoped?) he said “Booze”.

• McGuire is working his Berry. News?

What we saw on TV and the Web earlier:

•  •  •

Tweet from Paul Bissonnette (BizNasty2point0): Damn, Charlie Sheen sent right to San Antonio. Couldn’t “crack” the line up. Oh well back to the drawing bored.

Chris Stevenson of the Sun newspapers Tweets: Penner to the ? Lots of noise out there. They need the size, for sure.

On TSN, MacT defends Penner after McGuire disses the big lug.

• Peter Chiarelli says Boston is “tinkering a little bit with minor depth … we’ve done out heavy lifting in the last couple weeks.”

• Brian Burke: “Obviously a lot of key pieces moved well in advance of the deadline” but he predicts a late flurry this afternoon

• Another Florida move: Sportsnet says Bryan Allen to Carolina for Sergei Samsonov

• James Duthie: “You know that James Franco 127 Hours where he’s got his arm stuck in a rock? Feels like me right now. And I don’t have a knife to cut it off.

• Scottie Upshall is an articulate guy

• Chris Campoli to Chicago

From earlier:

• This just in: the official HIO Trade Deadline Day Lunch – tuna salad and a Diet Coke

• TSN talking to Scott Niedermayer. More interesting would be a substantive update on the man who scored the Golden Goal.

• Dave Hodge and panel talking about the inactivity. The problem: Not many teams are out of it and selling. Plus many big deals have been made.

• Peter Chiarelli coming up on TSN. We hate the Bs, but he’s a smart GM

• Gotta love those Subaru sumo dudes.

• Shawn Belle traded! Edmonton to Colorado for Kevin Montgomery

• On the phone to TSN, Rosty Klesla is setting a record for a central European saying “you know”

•  •  •

Doug Wilson on TSN: “Every team in the league will tell you they’re looking for a centre and a defenceman”

• Columbus has traded Rostislav Kesla, and we couldn’t care less, except to note he was the first draft choice in the franchise’s history.

• Colin Fraser? Hmmm …

• Mathieu Darche is not on the trip and no one talks about him. Far be it from the Kremlin, of course,  to issue any injury updates

Stuff from earlier:

Fans with espresso makers and strong stomachs doubtless have been glued to TSN coverage since 8 a.m.

Judging from the Comments, Pierre McGuire has not been kind to the organization that, amazingly, still has not hired him.

Biggest move so far: Washington gets Dennis Wideman, which shores up the Caps’ back end.

And in a deal with Atlanta that will see Radek Dvorak suiting up against the Canadiens tomorrow night, Florida acquires young and promising Niclas Bergfors.

Late Sunday, Buffalo landed Brad Boyes, giving away hardly anything.

Pierre? You awake?

Pierre …

• It’s waiver wire time and Bob McKenzie’s computer screen is frozen. Ottawa has claimed another goaltender, and Rob Schremp was claimed by Atlanta, which will have a new look just in time for the Canadiens’ visit tomorrow

• Breaking news! Dustin Penner has arrived for practice in Edmonton. Penner is on TSN, strolling in wearing a bcakwards baseball cap, a tee-shirt and a ski jacket. I’d like to see more intensity.

• Panger says Brayden Schenn isn’t going anywhere. But the Kings would move Wayne Simmonds. Hmm…. Pangers says it would have to be a “phenomenal deal” to get the 22-year-old power forward.

• Panger and Dutchy in window-pane checks. I’m SO GLAD I don’t have 3D.

•  This is pathetic. TSN is flashing back to last year’s Deadline deals.

Brad Richards audio from Dallas practice

• Down Goes Brown Tweet: Update: The fax machine in the Leafs war room just slowly spit out a picture of Keyser Soze.

BlackBerry has bought a lot of time on the TSN special. So who do they figure is watching on a working Monday

• Red Bull. Now THAT’S good ad placement

• Craig MacTavish says Vancouver needs “depth on the fourth line.” Poor guys. Canadiens fans sympathize.

• I like McGuire’s shirt/tie/suit combo. A Montreal guy teaches those ROC schmucks how to suit up

• Michael Farber on the loaded Canucks:  “If the Stanley Cup is going to come down to whither Marty Reasoner, we’re all in trouble

• Dave Hodge: “It’s 9:35 on the West Coast. If Mike Gillis is still asleep, that’s fine with me.”

• Eric Duhatschek is talking about Vancouver’s “malleable” playoff opponents. That’s twisted.

• Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal Tweets: After seeing small oil forwards vs redwoods bruins can they really move their only big guy penner? Don’t see it even if penner has warts

On a snow/rain/sleet day in Montreal, those California commercials look very enticing

• The hilarious Paul Bissonnette (BizNasty2point0)Tweets: In case you folks are wondering I have a no movement clause, but its from the middle of the bench

McGuire leaves the set … in great haste. Shouldn’t have had the burrito breakfast.

• Pierre says a big one is coming. But he can’t say what it is. This is more mysterious than a CSI episode.

• Projecting the next Olympic team, Michael Peca and Matthew Barnaby both drop P.K. Subban. Everyone hates the Habs, eh? Mike Johnson defends P.K.

• Scottie Upshall and moves again, with Sami Lepisto, to Columbus for Rostislav Klesla who had been mooted as a Canadiens’ target

1. HabsfaninMA says:

I agree with you. This management IS arrogant, and there have been several examples of this. And, you are probably right about AK46 and Gomez. Why would they be traded anyway – they never get benched for poor performances.

It’s the same with Eller. The guy is just not producing. He can’t score, and what he really needs is more seasoning down in the minors. But, management starts him every game because they want to show how great the Halak trade was. Why mess with this guy’s development?

2. Propwash says:

I think Pierre did what he could feasibly do seeing 3/4 of our starting lineup in defence is now gone for the season.

The Habs don’t have much cap space left, and unfortunately, no one is gonna take Gomez off of the teams hands, barring divine intervention.

We are good enough to get the job done this year. The job at hand is to get to the 3rd round this spring.

4. Chuck says:

It’s better than trading away all of your assets for an attempted quick fix, instead setting yourself up to be a non-playoff team for years to come *coughmapleleafssuckcough*

5. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Then YES i would do that trade. Love PK but I would do that trade.

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

6. Fansincebirth says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Blocked…whew :o)

7. Shiloh says:

Dumont’s cap hit is $4 million for one more year.

8. sidhu says:

Enough about Aaron Ward!

9. Propwash says:

Hmm, replacing players who are out for the season isn’t improving or bolstering the team?

So the Habs are better off without them, right?

10. Mark C says:

Yes, he should have traded half the farm and the next two drafts for Johnson and Kaberle.

11. Shiloh says:

Would you make this trade?

From Nashville: Dumont and Shea weber

From Montreal: Gomez and Subban

12. TomNickle says:

They’ve cut bait on mistakes before.  Latendresse ring any bells?  Chipchura?  Hainsey?

13. Fansincebirth says:

I’m at work stuck in front of a computer for 8 hours but that’s still better than being in front of a TV watching TSN make up crap for 8 hours :o)

14. yves_on_habs says:

Would be pretty hard to make moves to improve on Markov and Gorges….

He did acquire players to compensate for their losses.

– Yves –

One of my major issues with the Habs management is that they are arrogant. They never admit when they are wrong. I am convinced that AK46 will not be traded. The Habs will resign him also.

Gomez will not be traded either. He’s finishing his career as a Hab.

I’d love to be wrong about this. I would gladly eat crow on both these subjects and am looking forward to the day the AK is gone and Gomez is traded and some-one dregs up this post to nah-nana-nah-nah me.

Or better yet, the Habs win the Cup and AK scores the winner on a pass from Gomez. Yeah, right!!!!

16. Shawn S says:

Mr. Boone, Noticed you’ve stopped referring to McGuire as “your guru” the past few months. Glad you’ve finally seen the light!

17. otter649 says:

Maguire would rather be managing/coaching 30 NHL teams in the Media with his extensive NHL experience from the early/ mid-90s & no actual NHL experience since………

18. JIMVINNY says:

That tablet in Panger’s hands is a chinese ipad rip-off that runs on android.  Hilarious that they tried to hide that by throwing a massive TSN sticker across the back of it.

19. jew4jah says:

i thought we had a ton of capspace with markov being out early in the seaon.

20. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Boyes isn’t that great… would have done little or nothing for this team. But I think it is a good move for these crappy Sabres.

21. Scotty90 says:

I would like Konopka…. tough guy and excellent on faceoffs!  Would like Neil but he would cost a bit more. With one of those two I think our smaller guys won’t have to put up with the bullying as much.  Do it PG, help your team.

22. sidhu says:

ZK’s latest fight, in which he quickly and easily disposed of the Caps’ Hendricks:

23. longtimehabsfan says:

I’m so bored I’m playing songs from The King and I in my head.

24. observer says:

Gauthier adds Wisniewski, Sopel and Mara replacing Markov, Gorges, Spacek —— this is NOT improving or bolstering the team!

25. DearyLeary says:

Goons are obsolete… for the love of god would you guys stop this nonsense?

26. HabFanSince72 says:

Didn’t Florida trade Horton for Wideman?

27. yves_on_habs says:

McGuire’s angry-ish rant was kind of amusing.

It’s pretty close to being the highlight of this Trade Deadline Day.

– Yves –

28. petrov14 says:

I’d call it ‘plugging holes’…

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

29. petrov14 says:

C’mon PG, bring back Turgeon, Damphousse and Recchi!!

P.S. Odeline too 😛

Very boring trade day. I get suckered in every year.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

30. lenny says:

McGuire is a tool, I’d like to see him and Todd in a death match

31. avatar_58 says:

Why, do GMs of other teams ever admit they are wrong? Like a press conference “I apologize, I was a tool for signing so and so.”

32. Mark C says:

Yes, Boston also traded a 1st(15th) and a 3rd, while Florida traded Campbell in that deal as well.

33. Scotty90 says:

Who on the existing Habs roster has a better faceoff percentage than Konopka? Who stood up to Komisarek and Phaneuf last week when they manhandled Pleks? who on the team is going to stand up to Flyers and Bruins muscle?  I rest my case!

34. Mikey_39 says:

I wouldn’t call Neil and Konopka goons.  They both can play hockey as well as be tough and fight.  Konopka has a 57% faceoff win percentage!  That would place him first on our team in faceoffs.

35. Shiloh says:

Really? That bad, Lenny?

36. TomNickle says:

Probably, and hate myself for doing it.

37. Chuck says:

Hey Boone, what’s more pathetic… 8 hours of boring trade deadline TV, or blogging it?  😉

38. habs001 says:

with injuries and other issues it is amazing we are only 6 points behind the bruins…based on stats we should not be this close to them

goals per game      boston    4th        habs   24th

goals  against                      2nd                 11th

goal differential                   +46                  +1

road points                          1st                   25th (tied)

pp                                      14th                 9th

pk                                      15th                 10th

if these two teams were A and B and you had to predict how close they are it would be hard to predict that it is only a 6 point spread. .

39. Fansincebirth says:

LOL….good one Chuck

40. Habs_Fan_In_Edmonton says:

Not a chance. Subban is a hab for good

41. nick says:

NHL.com has a couple advertisement scrolling across the top of the site.

They have a funny one on now which asks:

“What do you need? A Russian sniper or a Mexican fiesta?”

42. observer says:

I repeat he did not improve or bolster the team. Even if they were not injured and those players of lesser ability not acquired. I said “the team” and again (so far at least) he has not improved it like other teams do as they bolster their team for the final run. Just as Gainey since 2004 – deja vu all over again for this management team.

43. Les-Habitants says:

Any chance you could turn this into the live feed like you do in your posts?  Not that this is earth shattering stuff, but so far the most exciting thing about this trade deadline is the few seconds I wait while my page reloads.

44. RetroMikey says:

Hello Pierre?  You there?  Sorry Bonjour Pierre?

Typical Habs trade deadline as usual.

Stay conservative, hope for the best with the players we have assembled, and pray we do some damage in the playoffs and perhaps to escape with a first round series to make the fans happy and say “better luck next year”.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

45. Mikey_39 says:

Id take both Neil and Konopka.  They would give us an awesome 3rd/4th line which we don’t have right now, not even close actually.

46. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

You know…I just might! Webber definitely offsets the loss of Subban and…wait a minute…what’s dumonts cap hit?

47. avatar_58 says:

No. The fallout of watching Subban become a star elsewhere would be immense.

48. observer says:

Yeah right all those other GMs who try to bolster their team are idiots. Gauthier who has never even been to a Cup final series since he was in the business – about 30 years – is the smart one. Keep drinking the koolaid.

49. geo_habsgo says:

Keep Subban out of any trades please. Why trade someone with Elite potential who is contributing right now and is a major part of this team? I just don’t like trades involving Subban or someone like Patches cause it seems like a deal that takes us nowhere since we are giving up a huge working asset for a another working asset. It just takes this teams development in a giant circle. I also know that my reluctance to give up any of these young assets would mean that I wouldnt get anyone huge out of a trade. I guess thats why I’m not a GM :p

50. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Ha Ha that would be awesome! Jack Todd vs Pierre McGuire in the Thunderdome!! And the winner gets banished! Perfect!

51. observer says:

Good news for you – you can watch ——– http://www.tsn.ca/live/nhl/TradeCentre2011/

52. Mattyleg says:

Said this just as the other thread died:

Don’t forget, kiddies, no trade is better than a bad trade.

If there are no moves by PG today, all it could mean is that people don’t want what he’s offering, or want too much for not enough.

It’s easy to say “He’s an IDIOT!!! Godddd!!” if PG makes no trades, but if he gives away DD, Pouliot, and a pick for Dustin Penner, would that be any better?

Y’see?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

53. shiram says:

We need someone to take away a Russian sniper, and a Mexican Siesta off our hands.

54. Psycho29 says:

All the GMs are on their lunch break from 12:00 to 12:45, so not much will be happening.

There’s Pierre Gauthier enjoying his raw carrots and tofu…..Brian Burke woofing down a porterhouse steak with 3 baked potatoes…and a pitcher of beer to wash it all down…

It will be up and running again soon!!!!!!

:-)

55. Mattyleg says:

Sorry 001, but those stats you chose don’t mean very much.

That is to say, just goals don’t make much of a difference.

Whether you win a game by one goal or twelve makes no odds.

Just goes to show how selective stat-crunching can skew a picture.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. OneTimer says:

I’d rather a GM that doesn’t make a bad trade, than a GM who makes a trade “just to make a trade” and satisfy fans like you…to whom he owes nothing. He will do what’s best for the team, given the opportunity.

57. yves_on_habs says:

Have any better ideas then the moves he made?

Care to share?

Replacing or “improving” on Markov alone would be quite a task.

– Yves –

58. Mark C says:

Relax. One, I repeat ONE of the sixteen current playoff teams has made a trade so far today.

59. avatar_58 says:

Trading Pacioretty right now would be nonsensical. The guy finally finds his game WITH this team…..he’s going to be permanent 1st line material in the future. Why ruin this?

60. TomNickle says:

If Penner’s coming it’ll be Weber and Kostitsyn.  And I sure as hell hope Penner figures out how to skate before he suits up for the Habs if he is indeed coming here.

61. Chuck says:

We’re even more pathetic than Boone. We’re reading it.  :)

62. avatar_58 says:

…..aaand Conklin clears waivers. Bleh.

63. observer says:

How about for the #1?

64. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Penner for Webber and AK?

No thanks.

65. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Penner straight up for a #1 pick?

Definitely do that trade, but it ain’t gonna happen.

Can are cap handle it? I dunno, but someone here will know.

66. observer says:

3 salaries if spacek too? markov, gorges and spacek? is that enough space less wiz, sop?

67. Habs fan in Sens land says:

I’m not going to disagree that the management team can be arrogant, but really, which GM and management in this league are not arrogant? At least, they don’t bolster about how good they are or how much everyone in the league wants there overpaid spare parts *cough* burke *cough*.

I will, however, disagree about Eller. As of a few weeks ago, I would have agreed with you. However, in the last 2-3 games, Eller has been playing center, with AK for that matter, and has actually looked quite comfortable and has produced some important points. Last game, he scored the second goal of the game, on a heck of a play by AK by the way, that gave the Habs quite the momentum going into the second.

I’ll reserve my judgement of the game agains the Leafs, as I only caught a portion of it. Versus the Canucks, however, he made a near perfect pass to AK, who ended up scoring the GWG. The issue was not necessarily about Eller playing with the big club, but Eller being put in a situations where he would not be succesful. Once again, I think the blame to lay here is more with JM than with Eller. Granted, he is responsible for his own production, but a player like Eller, who is good with the puck, strong in the corners, reasonably good defensively and a good passer should not have played 60 of 63 games with 4th line grinders. He should have been playing with skilled players.

This is a very similar situation to Spezza’s situation, when JM was the coach of the Sens (I’m not saying that Eller is another Spezza, but I’d personally take it if that were the case). It took JM leaving for Spezza to start putting up big numbers consistently. Once he left, Spezza was not scared of making a mistake, out of fear of being benched, or in his case, sent down to Bingo, and he flourished into one of the league’s best playmaking centers. I’ll concede, however, that many of those points and career seasons could easily be attributed to him playing with Heatley.

68. RetroMikey says:

We will be a non-playoff team for years to come with the salaries we are paying for the smurfs and some old goats on DMan.

Start from scratch, develop the youths, and perhaps we may find a Cup sooner in Monteal than going through this path of signing players who are past their prime.

With the way things are going Chuck, you will be content for the team to have entertaiing nights at the Bell Centre and hoping or should I say praying we do wonders in the playoffs.

That’s not what I want.