That was the “easy” game?

And now the team that can’t win in the west goes on to Calgary and Vancouver.

Dave Stubbs’ game story

Quotes from the room

Quick Hits and About last night …

Arpon Basu’s game analysis and Pierre Ladouceur’s

1. Say Ash says:

Yarring as we speak. Thanks, dude.

2. HabsoluteFan says:

I think he would be the cheapest solution based on how Ottawa is unloading right now.  I don’t believe it means Stanley Cup, but yet again with all our injuries, I don’t see many moves that would bring us our 25th Cup.

3. lefreak says:

the reality is that when you watch every habs game, and then see where they are in the standings, you realize how lucky we are to be there….because without strong goaltending we might very well be on the outside looking in come playoff time.

Yes we are really injured, but this team is the definition of inconsistency on the offensive side.

4. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Thomas has been pretty good too though. I mean Carey has been phenomenal, but I think we are also opportunistic scorers.

5. fbkj says:

yep 4 goals on 4 shots

6. habfan53 says:

I’m having less of a problem with Jaro since the beginning of the year. He has stepped up since  the injuries to Markov and Gorges. Spacek’s problem now his he is playing way to many minutes .

7. HabsoluteFan says:

So seeing how Ottawa is unloading, I wouldn’t mind bringing Kovalev back.  The guy loves the attention from the fans in Montreal and I’m willing to bet he would be lights out until the end of the playoffs.  Recently, wanting out of Ottawa and trying to prove he can still play, he’s been putting up the numbers.  5 Goals, 8 Points in his last 7 games.  He usually shows up when it counts and what better time to have him than in the stretch where every game is important.  I would not have wanted him for the whole season seeing how he plays 1 game and takes 5 off but I think it’d be interesting to see if this kind of gamble could pay off for the final stretch.  Think about it.  Kovalev could be traded for a draft pick and wouldn’t be a huge cap hit.  I believe he can still be an impact player for us and is probably the cheapest solution for our offensive problems.

Forget about how he can be a cancer in the dressing room, the guy would be here for the rest of the season and the playoffs, and would want to prove he can still play.  I think adding him and trading AK46 for a gritty forward could do wonders for our offense/team

I’d like to know how you can be totally against the idea of having him for the playoff run ? Thoughts ?

8. BoomBoom says:

I’m thinking the Habs will take Heritage won’t be pretty but it will be a win. The reason we’ll win is that we won the last one!

Also, that Nash kid has a lot of potential but he’ll need some more seasoning in the AHL. Once some of the walking wounded come back, I’d send him and Eller down to Hamilton.

Can anyone explain to me what would be the cap hit if we bought out Spacek at the end of the season. I’ve read that since he signed the contract at 35 yrd old, the Habs couldn’t buy him out. If we stuck him in Hamilton next year would his salary count against the cap since he signed at 35 yrs old. What would be Gomez’s cap hit if we bought him out?

9. shiram says:

I like Hamr, he’s been great in covering for Markov, and he is dependable. The issue with him right now is his time on ice…

Last 4 games : 27:07 25:15 23:32 and 27:36
    And thats a bit much, even for a 36 year old workhorse.

Really am glag that we have Mara, we can use the experience and spread out the TOI with him too.

Gomez was better than most of his recent nights, but not really up to snuff, it seems to me he can still play better. I guess you can figure in AK and Moen in this problem.

10. Batalla says:

It’s the Bulis Affect…  That guy had a 4 goal game once!  Too bad those were his only 4 goals.

Not sure why this team loves to put grinders on top lines (Moen, Lapierre, Begin, etc.).  Maybe it speaks to how badly we need a sniper or how off a season some of our “scorers” are really playing.

11. lenny says:

Why does our Coach keep on playing Moen on the top 2 lines? He provides nothing…He is a 4th liner at best…

Gomez, what else can we say…his trade  may actually be the worst in Habs history…

AK 46 sorry excuse for a hockey player. sadly on his next team he’ll be a 25-35 goal scorer

12. habstrinifan says:

Maybe this is why PG and JM and habs management have done nothing significantly important in taking this team out of its decades old mediocrity. Fans see hat tricks in players with scoring occurences as infrequent as comets, or believe that returning players have found their scoring touch while ‘skating on their own’ (weird even saying it) or believe that other teams have been lucky. Meanwhile almost every other teams finds their scoring touch once or twice and re-invigorate themselves while… well it is what it is folks.

13. JD_ says:

“Because it’s there.” – George Mallory (1886-1924), English mountaineer

Wild horses couldn’t drag me out to watch an All-Star game on TV, but when it hit Montreal, I took my eldest daughter to the Bell Centre and had an absolute blast.

Set all the issues regardin’ sightlines, weather, discomfort, Bettman, Fehr, and oxygen aside. Everyone’s in the same boat.

It’s about the event.

14. Kooch7800 says:

Save your money.  Watch it in the warmth of home with an ice cold brew and a bathroom with no line up.  The outdoor games are never that great. I know people who have gone and were dissapointed

15. habitual says:

I agree Pleks doesn’t look like himself – I thought he’s looked tired since at least the three game home stance in early Feb. I’d give him a break from killing penalties.

While Cammy, Gomer and AK have been disappointing all year, Les Boys are going to struggle until they get their D back.  Offense starts with the D:  think about the Big 3 in the glory days of the ’70s.

When you D struggles in your own end, break outs are very difficult.  Notice how Edmonton’s D would often stay put on the offensive blue line last night, confident that our forwards had to stay put to help defensively.

16. Peterborough Habs Fan says:

Why hasn’t anyone mentioned Price’s stinkers last night, 2 in 15 seconds which did us in completely.

Embarrasing against worst in the league. 0-3, all in regulation out west!

17. PrimeTime says:

I said it before and I’ll say it again: When our team doesn’t play smart defensive hocky our chances of winning decrease exponentially. We did not have the horses last night. All we could for was EDM and Bulin played poorly, which they didn’t. Game over.hopefully soon our D wil get healthier and stronger. When it does, then we will be fine again!!

18. Cool Ice Price says:

The Canadiens battled hard last night against the last placed team in the league.

19. adamg84 says:

Gomez has been awful this year, no question about it.  Is his effort there? Meh not really, it was in some spots last night though.  AK looks like a lost soul out there too.  I don’t know what kind of a return you can get for him on the open market but he most definetly needs a kick in the pants..

20. joshua94k says:

The Canadiens battled hard last night. With a depleted lineup including 5 top defencemen not playing, it was tough. By the end of the second period it was 1-1 and the visiting team heard chants of “go Habs Go”.

Alas, only 15 seconds in the 3rd period did them in. Hamrlik and Subban battled valiantly playing half the game. Let’s hope Gill, Wisniewski and Cammalleri can make it for Sunday’s game.

21. CanadienBoy says:

Gomez lost that extra drive the day Gionta got the C

22. Habitoban says:

This may have been Pouliot best complete game as a Hab, including the “don’t mess with me” moments at the end. He seems to be playing with more authority now that he’s a “senior” member of the youth core. Who knows, maybe he’ll soon be able to regain Boone’s affection that he enjoyed last year. Weber is coming along nicely. He is playing larger. Looks like his positioning has improved which allows him to use his body more effectively.

23. nick says:

In my opinion so did Cammy.

24. Habs fan in Sens land says:

With our road record falling 2 games below .500, I’ve been wondering. Does this have something to do with the players, or is it simply that Martin can’t make adjustment if he doesn’t have last change? I’ve never been a big Martin supporter. I do follow the sens quite a bit (since I’m living in O-town and most of my friends are sens fans, so when we go out for brews on the weekend, it’s always sens games on the tube), and even when the Sens were on top of the eastern conference for a few consecutive years, I never felt it was due to Martin’s coaching or system, rather, there winning ways were due to good to great teams at that time. Even with some of those teams that dominated the league, or at least, the Eastern conference, he was never able to lead them to a cup.

Although I’m not a Martin supporter, I have been trying not to bash him. I mean, he did bring the team to the Conference Finals in his first year at the helm, albeit on the back of great performances by a select few players (I do say a few players, as Halak was NOT the only reason, but that’s an old story and let’s not get back on that beaten down horse). As well, this year, with the decimated D-corps we have, we’re still battling for, not only a playoff spot, but also for the lead in our division.

Speaking of the D-corp, Markov, Gorges, Gill, Spacek and Wiz out now… That IR list seems like it could be a pretty good group of defencemen… Oh yeah, that SHOULD be our d-corp… At least some of the kids are getting some experience much faster than anticipated, and are doing an admirable job. Had it not been for this rash, or it could even be categorized as an epidemic, would we have known that Weber is NHL ready, in a limited role, that is?

I was just wondering, was I the only one that felt that way about JM’s coaching, or is my view shared by others?

25. habfan53 says:

Good News for Edmonton fans is that they now know they can beat an AHL team.

26. W35T5ID3 says:

‘sigh’…so typical….

…..they lose and u abuse…..

ITS not the end of the world!

THIS TEAM HAS PERFORMED SPECTACULARLY DESPITE THE CRITICISM AND BS from everywhere.Injuries play a factor too.Price is a beast.Dont biiitch at him.he’s a friggin  rock….

GRRRR…im mad and enough is enough..stop hated on this team just cuz we lose a game.FFS!

27. W35T5ID3 says:

do me a favor….if ya aint got nothing good to say then just go back to bed….Because.Yah we may have had an AHL ‘er or two in the lineup but u know what….INJURIES occur aand when that happens u get call ups.Cappeeeesh?

BOTTOM LINE:  If we pop a few early goals (an inch here an inch there) i.e. Moen and AK46 chances in early 1stperiod, then this would be a completely different hockey game.Ya know?We didnt play bad at all.PK SUBBAN was ridiculously amazing if your WATCH.Its unbelievable how far this team has come when ya really think about it.

….All i ever wanted ,pretty much, was to see them try….give an effort.And ya know what?For the most part they friggin do!So all this BS about oh blah blah blah we need to trade ak46 and gomez needs to get the F outta MTL,JM has to go….etc etc etc…. is purely idiotic….IDIOTIC.This team competes.And as i recall we are in contention for tops in the NE division which would probably place us into 3rd in the East at the end of the season.Ya’ll gonna be biiieeiieetchin then if they end up at 3rd spot?

…FFS….this is a GOOD …GGGGGGOOOOD TTTEAM!Each player is a factor to the overall TEAM!!!Gomez may be overpaid but he brings it …and i dont care what any of u say because it goes deeper then just what u see on a game by game basis on the ice….

28. avatar_58 says:

And? It’s not like Auld is an answer. There’s zero point in calling out the goalie that’s basically kept this team from being a bottom dweller on countless nights

29. W35T5ID3 says:

thankyou avatar 58 … i concur….man people need to lay off this team just cuz we lose a bloody game.Price is phenomenal most nights.Technically sound.Matured immensely in the past year and is such a key part of this team.Yet we get bonehead like this other guy questioning the 2 softies on Price.UN-frikkin-REAL!He aint perfect!Habs aint Perfect.Its a game of inches and luck ..puck bounces…ya know…Price if anything is the most consistent and solid hab performer this season.

……………2  Softies???…PLeeease….give it a rest.

30. Habfan4lfe says:

Sorry but you are out to lunch. Gomez is an overpaid waste of time and he hasn’t brought “it” to any game since he’s been with us. When you look up “suck” in the dictionary it say’s simply Gomez. I’d personally kick his hobbit like butt out the front door so fast!

“And now the team that can’t win in the west”… I think one could say “And now the team that can’t win” and just stop there. Not like Habs are winning left and right in the east.

Is The System broken? No way… I refuse to believe it. The System will be back. The System will take over and Habs will be glorious in no time.

32. W35T5ID3 says:

Plex is fine.We lost the game.Its just a game.Next game vs Calgary Plex could get a hat trick and we’d all be saying..”Way to Go Turtle nECK man!”….he’s HUMAN…..he aint gonna meet your expectations every night!!Eeesh..

33. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Hey all,

Need some input. I live in Calgary and can get some tickets to the Heritage Classic, but they are in the boonies. These aren’t nose bleeds, these are oxygen needs.  And they are in the corner of the endzone. So I won’t really be able to see the game at all, or not in any detail at least.  But… is the Heritage Classic.

So what do I do?  Go the game for the spectacle and try my best to figure out who is actually on the ice when?  Or sit myself down in a bar on the Red Mile in my Richard sweater and let Flames fans have it?