That was the “easy” game?

And now the team that can’t win in the west goes on to Calgary and Vancouver.

Dave Stubbs’ game story

Quotes from the room

Quick Hits and About last night …

Arpon Basu’s game analysis and Pierre Ladouceur’s

1. J_P says:

Allow me to retort.

Without Carey Price, the habs are playing for a lottery pick, not a playoff spot.  Plain and simple.

And dont even bring up the “halak would have won that game argument”…He isn’t doing so hot down in st louis.

2. habstrinifan says:

“If we pop a few early goals”. And that’s the rub. we need to pop a few early goals or a few more goals. We need teams to be aware that we can score. Sure we are hurt defensively and could use a seasoned defenseman… but the MAJOR problem with this team is WE CANT SCORE. Period! Look at the facts folks! We need to be able to score a goal or two on a more consistent basis, either to bounce back in a game or put away a game. And we NEED the coach to adjust his style a little to help do that. Yes we do also need a player or two up front.

3. punkster says:

I look at it this way. It’s like seeing your favorite musicians in concert. You buy all the recordings, listen to all the tracks, can hum all the melodies and even play some of the licks. But when you see them in concert you capture the essence of creation, those moments that will never, ever happen again and they live in your memory in a way very few others can quite experience.

Go man. Go!

***Subbang!!!***

4. avatar_58 says:

Did anyone else catch Healey saying Gomez’ issue was playing with Eller and Moen “all season”. Did he miss the revolving door of AK46, Cammy, Gionta, Pouliot, etc?

5. habstrinifan says:

“but last i checked Gomez wasnt signed by our GM”. Bulletin PG bulletin! Gomez was not signed by our GM(you nor Gainey).  He is an interloper, Show him the door.

What a totally ridiculous statement!

6. JD_ says:

The lights are much brighter there
    You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares and go to
    Cowtown, things’ll be great when you’re in
    Cowtown, no finer place for sure,
    Cowtown, everything’s waiting for you

- Petula “Wendel” Clark

Off to Trudeau International, destination Cowtown for some Sunday afternoon shinny.

Have fun, please do keep my seat warm, and remember the three tenets:

• Andrew Berkshire ain’t goin’.
    • When in doubt, blame Punkster.
    • It’s about the karma, man.

Good times.

7. Drive_For_25 says:

Gomez was the best player on the ice last night…..for either team.

8. AH says:

Hey come on SD, leave Gomez alone! I was at the game last night and it was spectacular seeing him live flying up to the Oilers blueline and lose the puck, or pass it into someone’s shins.

But the real highlight for me was when he went in all alone and completely missed the net, that ought to be worth at least 5 million of his salary! PFFFT!

9. Kooch7800 says:

I did hear that. I started swearing at the TV lol. Healy is a Moron

10. theremster says:

i see what youre saying. The only problem is, it makes no sense. You cannot blame multiple players and then say that gomez would be playing great if they werent around. the problem is Gomez. He’s the most unmotivated, scared of physical play, non backchecking foward the canadiens have. He knows he’s being payed alot, thats the only reason he isnt complaining though hes playing terrible. JM wont demote him to third line because he would then risk the chance of having a ridiculously high paid player not trying at all (though that may not be far off from what Mr.Gomez is doing now). The problem is not half of the Habs’ team, its obviously a player thinking he is worth more than he is.

11. Kooch7800 says:

We did have a young D core but what is our excuse for 1 goal?

12. Chris F says:

I have an idea. Do whatever is humanly possible to sign Webber from Nashville. Overpay, term, whatever it take. You couldn’t hand pick a player more needed by an organization. Let Markov, Hammer, Gill go, Sign Gorges, keep Weber, PK, Wizz, maybe Gill if he’ll sign for alot less. Give Markov’s money to Shae Webber, pay him 7 million a year if you have to. All of a sudden, we have one of the top three d men in the league for the next 6-8 years. It will completely change our team.

Just like Boston did for Chara. You build around Shae Webber. Do it. Don’t sell the boat this year, we are not good enough anyway. Yup, that’s what we have to do.

13. Storm Man says:

What should you do? The weather is going to be great 41,000 plus at the game you can’t find one person on here that would not go if they had tickets(Im going and so can’t wait even after watching them in deadmonton last night:( ) I feel the players were thinking ahead to the Sunday game and will play alot better…. I hope:).

14. Say Ash says:

Was it me or did they confuse Patches and Pouliot a couple of times, too?

15. joeybarrie says:

Why so rough on AK???? Its not like he missed an open net last night to put us ahead…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

16. habs001 says:

the only forward injured is camm and was struggling before his injury…i think with the d injuries we will have to score 4-5 goals in calgary and vancouver to win…sadly only the devils,blues,oilers,senators have fewer road points than we do…what has brought us to where we are in the standing is solid goaltending,great pk and timely goal scoring and gritty effort…our  individual talent level is not even much higher than the teams who are 20th and lower in the standings…it is team play and chemistry that has put us where we are in the standings…there are at least 14 players on the roster than in talent are about the same as 14 players on every team in the nhl…

17. avatar_58 says:

Thats ok I do it too. It’s because Patches tucks his jersey, covering the 6 and making it look like a 5.

18. AH says:

Yup…and when you treat a player who is clearly giving you very, little night in and night out, with kid gloves like JM is doing with Nomez , it also breeds an sense of “entitlement” in that player and that can even be worse to try and get rid of.

19. dh says:

I heard him but ignored it with the rest of what he says.  It was actually pretty annoying last night.  Healy says something stupid, switch to RDS.  Brunet says something annoying, switch back.  You’d think that we could get some commentators that could do a play by play without being idiots.

20. habfan53 says:

The injuries are mostly on defence. Our problem is that right now we have 7 forwards that can’t find the back of the net: Moen, Pyatt, Eller, Gomez, AK, Darche and Halpern

21. habfan53 says:

Again I agree that this is AK’s last chance with Montreal. It really hit me in the shoutout with Buffalo earlier in the week, that Montreal has a lot of hard workers that just do not have a touch around the net. IE: Moen, Halpern, Eller, Pyatt, Darche (to some extent)  add Gomez and AK that is 2 full lines that can;t find the back of the net.

22. Chris F says:

Yeah, didn’t realize he was an RFA and not UFA.

23. HabsoluteFan says:

You’re right, what a trio it could be if they ”decided” to play in the final stretch and playoffs, we would have Gio-Pleks-Cammi as our first line.  Thanks for your input

24. shiram says:

I think Ak’s last chance is this season, and likely the playoffs. But a line of MaxPac / DD / Ak would be wonderful if AK can play up to his abilities. They might even be able to make alot or room for DD too.

25. habs4_25th says:

Maybe he could be on a line with Gomez then we could have a line like AK27 – Gomer – AK46 the line that only plays when they want to  what a trio that would be.

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be it yours to hold high.”

26. lefreak says:

the reason is simple : Carey Price.

27. adamg84 says:

I’ve always enjoyed watching Kovalev come off the half boards on a powerplay and rip it upstairs. I think though that the Kovalev expirement is over, he never accepts accountability in the defensive end and more often than not is a liability. Don’t get me wrong I like the guy but with his cap hit it means unless someone else gets unloaded too then all our moves are done for this year…and I don’t think Kovalev means Stanley Cup.

28. PrimeTime says:

I said it before and I’ll say it again: When our team doesn’t play smart defensive hocky our chances of winning decrease exponentially. We did not have the horses last night. All we could for was EDM and Bulin played poorly, which they didn’t. Game over.hopefully soon our D wil get healthier and stronger. When it does, then we will be fine again!!

29. Admiral_Adama says:

Healy is a frakin’ JOKE.  He seems to love pinching a big wet loaf on ANY positives the Habs would be having.  And when they play the Laffs, he seems to make sure he eats mexican the night before.  I pester Kelly Hrudey and Friedman on Twitter all the time about it.  Why does he get Habs assignments when it’s been clear since his playing days he’d rather cut off his little Healy and kick it around on the floor than talk about them.

30. Cool Ice Price says:

The Canadiens battled hard last night against the last placed team in the league.

31. habfan53 says:

I agree he is playing well with DD  However I would try DD and Max Pac on the 2nd line with AK (his last chance)

32. adamg84 says:

I like where your heads at. Keep in mind too that Tinordi is maybe 2.5 to 3 years away from being a solid NHL d man, thus making us a force.  I enjoy dreams.

33. punkster says:

I willingly accept blame.

Enjoy!

***Subbang!!!***

34. AH says:

W35…got to tell you, I saw a guy at the game last night wearing an Oleg Petrov jersey…I had to do a double take!

35. habfan53 says:

What do expect from Healy. The biggest blowhard on ANY broadcast. He was a fair goalie and is a lousy analyst.

Just looked at his stats he was a lousy goalie and is a lousy analyst

36. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Thanks for the comment below. You too JD.  Just bought two tickets, taking the old man — a Park Ex man who gave me my love for the Habs.  Can’t believe I was even debating this one.

37. Malreg says:

It’ll cost 4 1st round draft picks to sign Weber to the type of money it would take for Nashville to MAYBE not match.  No thanks.

Your comparison to Chara isn’t valid, since Chara was a free agent and didn’t cost Boston anything.  I would love to Weber, but it just won’t happen.

38. punkster says:

And taking your Dad…man, that’s the way to do it right. Have a great time.

***Subbang!!!***

39. Top Corner says:

Have a blast      REPRESENT !!!!!

40. king ddd says:

itisyn last year game 2 vs caps

** Buck Fruins **

41. AH says:

System Timo???, we don’t need no frickin’ system! Not when we have all our “speed” and “puck possesion” to get us through..oh wait isn’t that supposed to be the system???, I’m not sure anymore…

42. AH says:

I was at the game last night…after that crap performance by the Habs, and all their “injuries”, they could really get bombed on Sunday, so IMO if your seats were great I’d go, but because they’re in the boonies, I’d pass.

43. Batalla says:

I was at that game last night.  It could have gone either way, but you could tell that the team was gassed near the end and mistakes were coming.  A couple of things struck me:

• Gomez “cared” last night, but he was grossly predictable.  He always looks for a pass and the Oilers (and probably every other team, really) knew it.  He was largely ineffective as a result.
    • There might be something wrong with AK46’s flex on his stick.  How can he miss the net that much?
    • Hamrlik has taken some flak for bad play and such this year, but I feel he has been pretty solid considering his age and situation (the ToI).  But he was aweful last night.  There were some nasty giveaways right in front of me that I couldn’t believe.  Honestly, a backhand no-look pass into the slot of your own zone?  Wow.  If Coach Marty could have afforded it, he would have benched him.
    Fact:  Did you know that had Hamrlik been out, the average age of the Oilers defense would have been older than that of the Habs?
    Fact:  Did you know that the Oilers are the only NHL team not to have scored a 5-on-3 goal this year?  At least we can say we kept that streak alive!

44. RJB says:

In an effort to cheer everybody up, Radiohead’s new album is now up for download off of their website. listen to it and be in awe!!!

You are welcome

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” – Bilbo Baggins

45. habfan53 says:

Will someone please remind me why JM split up Halpern, Pouliot and Darche. ?? They worked hard as a unit gave the other teams fits with their energy AND scored a few goals!!!!!!.

I have stayed out of the Scott Gomez debate all year but it is time to sit him down for a couple of games like Gainey did to Kovalev 2 years ago.

I don’t expect him to score a ton of goals heck he only averages 14 a year and he is on pace for 10-11. His assists are down as well but he is not on the first line BUT if he does’nt score then he has to contribute defensively and his +/- is at a carrer worst of -18 on pace for a -24 . Michael Ryder was booed out of town for roughly the same numbers .

46. sholi2000.com says:

lol, Bulis.  That was against the Flyers right?  or was that Bure?

They Call Me Shane

47. adamg84 says:

Gomez has been awful this year, no question about it.  Is his effort there? Meh not really, it was in some spots last night though.  AK looks like a lost soul out there too.  I don’t know what kind of a return you can get for him on the open market but he most definetly needs a kick in the pants..

48. joshua94k says:

The Canadiens battled hard last night. With a depleted lineup including 5 top defencemen not playing, it was tough. By the end of the second period it was 1-1 and the visiting team heard chants of “go Habs Go”.

Alas, only 15 seconds in the 3rd period did them in. Hamrlik and Subban battled valiantly playing half the game. Let’s hope Gill, Wisniewski and Cammalleri can make it for Sunday’s game.

49. CanadienBoy says:

Gomez lost that extra drive the day Gionta got the C

50. StevieRay says:

I agree .. never could figure how Healy showed up on HNIC …old boy’s club I suppose …his glass is always 1/2 empty ….plus why does he have to yell some much ?

51. Habitoban says:

This may have been Pouliot best complete game as a Hab, including the “don’t mess with me” moments at the end. He seems to be playing with more authority now that he’s a “senior” member of the youth core. Who knows, maybe he’ll soon be able to regain Boone’s affection that he enjoyed last year. Weber is coming along nicely. He is playing larger. Looks like his positioning has improved which allows him to use his body more effectively.

52. shiram says:

Pouliot has more offence, and so he was moved to the third line, and he’s been doing great with DD, why change it now? DD is definately more “scoring” oriented than Halpern, so it makes sense to have him with DD. And White can fill the role of Darche too.

Gomez showed some flashes of what he can last night, but consistency is still the issue. I thought his pairing with AK/Moen signaled his fall to the third line as well, but last night JM kinda messed that idea up.

53. nick says:

In my opinion so did Cammy.

54. habs001 says:

we are only 2 points behind the bruins yet  as a team the habs are a plus 4 while the bruins are a plus 39…again at the beginning of the season someone said team x after 58 games will be around 24th in goals scored and have only 4 teams with fewer road points than they do ..please predict where this team is in the standings…most people would say a lottery pick team…so there is something this team has that goes beyond stats as i have no doubt that there is no other team in the history in the nhl that is this low in goal scoring and road record after 58 games that would be not way out of the playoffs by now

55. flanman says:

He also said on Twitter that Wiz will not play on Sunday, and *could* miss 4 weeks.

56. gohabsgo25 says:

habs practice 2:45 pm at the saddledome

57. RJB says:

Wiz wont practice today, wont play sunday according to Mr. Lavoie

58. Habs fan in Sens land says:

With our road record falling 2 games below .500, I’ve been wondering. Does this have something to do with the players, or is it simply that Martin can’t make adjustment if he doesn’t have last change? I’ve never been a big Martin supporter. I do follow the sens quite a bit (since I’m living in O-town and most of my friends are sens fans, so when we go out for brews on the weekend, it’s always sens games on the tube), and even when the Sens were on top of the eastern conference for a few consecutive years, I never felt it was due to Martin’s coaching or system, rather, there winning ways were due to good to great teams at that time. Even with some of those teams that dominated the league, or at least, the Eastern conference, he was never able to lead them to a cup.

Although I’m not a Martin supporter, I have been trying not to bash him. I mean, he did bring the team to the Conference Finals in his first year at the helm, albeit on the back of great performances by a select few players (I do say a few players, as Halak was NOT the only reason, but that’s an old story and let’s not get back on that beaten down horse). As well, this year, with the decimated D-corps we have, we’re still battling for, not only a playoff spot, but also for the lead in our division.

Speaking of the D-corp, Markov, Gorges, Gill, Spacek and Wiz out now… That IR list seems like it could be a pretty good group of defencemen… Oh yeah, that SHOULD be our d-corp… At least some of the kids are getting some experience much faster than anticipated, and are doing an admirable job. Had it not been for this rash, or it could even be categorized as an epidemic, would we have known that Weber is NHL ready, in a limited role, that is?

I was just wondering, was I the only one that felt that way about JM’s coaching, or is my view shared by others?

59. savethepuck says:

I thought Gomez had a great game last night. So did AK

60. avatar_58 says:

What do you mean? By his account “the book is out on kaberle” and he knows how to stop him every time. He said this during on game. I’m still waiting for him to get in net and prove it.

61. habfan53 says:

Good News for Edmonton fans is that they now know they can beat an AHL team.

62. W35T5ID3 says:

‘sigh’…so typical….

…..they lose and u abuse…..

ITS not the end of the world!

THIS TEAM HAS PERFORMED SPECTACULARLY DESPITE THE CRITICISM AND BS from everywhere.Injuries play a factor too.Price is a beast.Dont biiitch at him.he’s a friggin  rock….

GRRRR…im mad and enough is enough..stop hated on this team just cuz we lose a game.FFS!

63. W35T5ID3 says:

do me a favor….if ya aint got nothing good to say then just go back to bed….Because.Yah we may have had an AHL ‘er or two in the lineup but u know what….INJURIES occur aand when that happens u get call ups.Cappeeeesh?

BOTTOM LINE:  If we pop a few early goals (an inch here an inch there) i.e. Moen and AK46 chances in early 1stperiod, then this would be a completely different hockey game.Ya know?We didnt play bad at all.PK SUBBAN was ridiculously amazing if your WATCH.Its unbelievable how far this team has come when ya really think about it.

….All i ever wanted ,pretty much, was to see them try….give an effort.And ya know what?For the most part they friggin do!So all this BS about oh blah blah blah we need to trade ak46 and gomez needs to get the F outta MTL,JM has to go….etc etc etc…. is purely idiotic….IDIOTIC.This team competes.And as i recall we are in contention for tops in the NE division which would probably place us into 3rd in the East at the end of the season.Ya’ll gonna be biiieeiieetchin then if they end up at 3rd spot?

…FFS….this is a GOOD …GGGGGGOOOOD TTTEAM!Each player is a factor to the overall TEAM!!!Gomez may be overpaid but he brings it …and i dont care what any of u say because it goes deeper then just what u see on a game by game basis on the ice….

….’sigh’….ugh..

64. avatar_58 says:

And? It’s not like Auld is an answer. There’s zero point in calling out the goalie that’s basically kept this team from being a bottom dweller on countless nights

65. W35T5ID3 says:

thankyou avatar 58 …..as i concur….man people need to lay off this team just cuz we lose a bloody game.Price is phenomenal most nights.Technically sound.Matured immensely in the past year and is such a key part of this team.Yet we get bonehead like this other guy questioning the 2 softies on Price.UN-frikkin-REAL!He aint perfect!Habs aint Perfect.Its a game of inches and luck ..puck bounces…ya know…Price if anything is the most consistent and solid hab performer this season.

……………2  Softies???…PLeeease….give it a rest.

66. Habfan4lfe says:

Sorry but you are out to lunch. Gomez is an overpaid waste of time and he hasn’t brought “it” to any game since he’s been with us. When you look up “suck” in the dictionary it say’s simply Gomez. I’d personally kick his hobbit like butt out the front door so fast!

“And now the team that can’t win in the west”… I think one could say “And now the team that can’t win” and just stop there. Not like Habs are winning left and right in the east.

Is The System broken? No way… I refuse to believe it. The System will be back. The System will take over and Habs will be glorious in no time.

68. W35T5ID3 says:

Plex is fine.We lost the game.Its just a game.Next game vs Calgary Plex could get a hat trick and we’d all be saying..”Way to Go Turtle nECK man!”….he’s HUMAN…..he aint gonna meet your expectations every night!!Eeesh..

69. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Hey all,

Need some input. I live in Calgary and can get some tickets to the Heritage Classic, but they are in the boonies. These aren’t nose bleeds, these are oxygen needs.  And they are in the corner of the endzone. So I won’t really be able to see the game at all, or not in any detail at least.  But…..it is the Heritage Classic.

So what do I do?  Go the game for the spectacle and try my best to figure out who is actually on the ice when?  Or sit myself down in a bar on the Red Mile in my Richard sweater and let Flames fans have it?

Thoughts?

I don’t now man… based on the last few games it looks like no matter where you sit it will be a waste of money. I say you will be better off in the warmth of your home on a nice couch with beer and chicken wings.

71. W35T5ID3 says:

..Listen,Guy…but last i checked Gomez wasnt signed by our GM ….Sather and his NYR overspending summer bonanza’s is to account for this.You wouldnt be saying this if he had a salary of half of what he makes now.And i bet he’d play better too.Do u not think that he feels the pressure?The hefty Contract he has and the fact that peeps like u have to call him out on it every time he has a mediocre game?Listen ,the man has 2 cup rings….and he knows how to play hockey.if you subtract him from this team then that leaves a void.Hes a fast mofo who canh transport PUCK from our end to their end FAST.What…you gonna rely on guys like Halpern to do that ?Moen?|Eller??Gomez is a good player.Go to sleep please….goodnight.

72. Say Ash says:

Yarring as we speak. Thanks, dude.

73. HabsoluteFan says:

I think he would be the cheapest solution based on how Ottawa is unloading right now.  I don’t believe it means Stanley Cup, but yet again with all our injuries, I don’t see many moves that would bring us our 25th Cup.

74. lefreak says:

the reality is that when you watch every habs game, and then see where they are in the standings, you realize how lucky we are to be there….because without strong goaltending we might very well be on the outside looking in come playoff time.

Yes we are really injured, but this team is the definition of inconsistency on the offensive side.

75. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Thomas has been pretty good too though. I mean Carey has been phenomenal, but I think we are also opportunistic scorers.

76. RJB says:

McKenzie makes it seem like its the Bruins first rounder.

77. Hellfire_Habsfan says:

The pick is Boston’s original 1st rounder… Colbourne is a very very good Centre huge and has skill, he’ll be a decent nhl 2nd liner.. maybe the centre for kessel.. its not a bad return for burke…

In other news steven hindle is reporting Mtl will make a move by tonight, there are waiting until the Kaberle trade goes down..

78. RJB says:

They say he doesn’t use his size at all though, which is interesting. As for the Habs people keep saying Brad stuart? I don’t know if it will happen but its an interesting rumor.

79. Hellfire_Habsfan says:

Done deal.. Colborne 1st and conditional pick (if kabby resigns in bos) for Kabby

80. Admiral_Adama says:

Starting to pray to the Lords of Kobol that Gauthier doesn’t do something stupid, deal-wise.  I think he needs to sit tight.  Dealing with no assets will tend to get you a good old fashioned fleecing.

I got worry.

81. lefreak says:

100% agree.

this will not be our year…sit pat and keep improving slowly is the way to go. The off season is going to be very interesting for us.

82. LA Loyalist says:

AK, Cammi, Hammer to a contender (no one will take Gomez) for one great pick/prospect.

We are in a world of hurt and we can’t give up any of our young studs.

At least they’ll have a long summer to heal.

83. LA Loyalist says:

You are right about Hammer, we need him, he and Mara are going to be on the ice a lot.

I was just thinking of the guys we have that could be tempting to a playoff team.

As for a first round exit… I don’t think we are going to have a very long spring. We should have 10 more points than we do, minimum, we’ve mailed it in too often and i don’t think we are mentally or physically tough enough.

Sorry. It hurts to even contemplate.

84. habfan53 says:

I’m not willing to give up on Cammi yet. As for Hamarlik not at this point with every body down. Unless you are looking at a first round exit.

85. LA Loyalist says:

I agree. If we were on fire and healthy and ready for the playoffs, I would rent Kovy to work the 2nd pplay, but not now.

86. LA Loyalist says:

How did Dustin Penner look last night? I couldn’t see the game. Here in LA a couple of weeks ago he looked great (I was at the game) but that’s only one game.

As to cost, what’s the cost of mediocrity?

87. habfan53 says:

I think we have a ton of assets look at all the Bulldogs that have contibuted this year. OK we keep Pacioreti and Desharnais up front and  Weber on defence.  that leaves eryone else PLUS some veterans that may need a change in scenery.

88. lefreak says:

the problem with most of us habs fans is that we tend to value our prospects more than other teams do.

boston has extra draft picks (ummm had)…philly is way deeper than us by a a mile. We are not in the same position as either of these teams. What the other teams might want, we need. No one wants to give us value for our cast offs, which seems to be what many HIO’ers think we can get.

Who would you trade and for what just for fun?

ps…the fact that all our defensemen are injured makes acquiring a quality one more expensive. Other GMs know our situation and desperation, so we aren’t the ones negotiating from a position of power.

89. habfan53 says:

I don’t watch other games much and don’t have much of an idea however 2 defencemen I would look at would be Eric Brewer  and Jonni Pitkanen for short term. Up front Vorocek, Cory Stillman and even Kovy from Ottawa  Would love to get Justin Penner but the cost would be to high.

Who to give up?  for the forwards a 3rd rounder and one of Moen, Pyatt, AK (with a 4th rd not 3rd) for Brewer or Pitkanen I think we have a second 2nd rd pick I know we traded one for WIZ.

90. lefreak says:

i don’t think what you want to give gets the deal done at all.

please, give up on Kovy…he is done.

we don’t even want the players you are offering, why would another team?

91. SmartDog says:

> Jacques is really good at seeing who isn’t effective and adjusting accordingly.

I guess that’s why Gomez gets so much ice time.   hahahahahaha

92. Miltie01 says:

Yes that is why, and he has also limited his ice time when necessary

Done the same thing to PK in the past.

Did it last night with DD and Darche.

You have a strong opinion about 1 player, because Martin does not agree with you does not mean what I say isn’t true.

93. tony d says:

took the words outta my mouth dawg

94. RJB says:

Mckenzie says Kaberle to Boston for Colborne and the Bruins first rounder is about to go down. Kaberle has been asked to waive his NTC

95. Mark C says:

That would be a pretty good haul for Kaberle, the Montreal rough equivalent in value would be Louis Leblanc and Montreal’s 1st.

Would anyone want to trade that for Kaberle?

96. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Doesn’t make sense unless Boston was given permission to talk to him and they negotiated a deal to sign a contract.

97. slamtherimtim says:

i hope its at least the pick he gave up last year for kessel , or else he is getting burnt again,  top 5 pick versus top 20 , huge difference

98. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Is it Bruins’ first-rounder or the one they got from Toronto?

99. avatar_58 says:

As a habs fan I’m getting tired of watching my team injured every single year while Boston and Philly trade for potential cup runs. What exactly did Montreal do to anger the hockey gods?

100. _Habsoloutly_ says:

It all began the day we traded Roy away.  Hockey gods have hated us since.

101. habfan53 says:

WON 24 cups

102. lefreak says:

It can be rough to accept for sure, but we have to be used to it by now. I just don’t see us being able to pull the types of moves that Boston or Philly can, because we don’t have as many assets as they do to use as trade bait.

103. habs001 says:

our coaching staff is also very stubborn in some situations…for 2 seasons now plecks has been horrible at winning the draw at the start of the pp…usually the opposition team wins the draw and they clear the zone and we miss a good 30 seconds of pp time before we reorganize…i was under the impression that it is very valuable to win draws in the attacking zone but looks like the coaching staff differ as they keep putting plecks out there at the beginning of most pp and he keeps getting beat to the draw…

104. LA Loyalist says:

Gee, Ducks use Koivu for lots of important draws. What secret members only info do they have that we don’t?

And you know what a smart team-player Koivu is? He knows he doesn’t match up well with Dallas’ Richards on draws, so they use another guy.

We used to have the best draw guy – Joe Juneau – did Habs ever think to have him come to camp and do some special work with our centers?

My 8 year old has specific training on draws, and won 100% of his faceoffs in his last game. How come we know it’s important and our fancy-ass count chocula is clueless? Couldn’t Muller work with them? (Muller was a great all-around center though I don’t remember if his faceoff skills were exceptional or not – anyone?)

Or are we so busy making sure we don’t use up our monthly quota of goals scored we don’t have the time?

105. habstrinifan says:

Day After! Day After!

Ok folks let’s get up, take a shower, put on our ‘working’ clothes and face the future.

Bring your notepads and pencils everyone… to the war room. We need to come up with a PLAN P.

Plan P cause alphabetically we probably are that deep into plans and coincidentally it is time that we decide upon a PLAYOFF PLAN come hell or high water.

Coffe and donuts will be provided. Your presence is REQUIRED!

So injured and not expected back! Georges/Markov who else?

Who said Gomez…. HA! HA! You should be on ‘last comic standing’. Leave the room NOW!

So injured but returning: Gill/Spacek/WIZ/Cammilierri

Addition: Paul Mara. Should stay up.. WHITE. Should go back … Nash

Not significant in playoffs run.. Eller/Pyatt/Picard?.

So with all bodies back sooner or later… our defense is Mara Gill Subban Hammrlik Spacek Weber Wiz

Here are my suggestions.

No way can you at this late stage add to defense without paying too steep a price and even if you did there is NO  Larry Robinson or Chris Chelios out there now. So I say we go with the DEFENSE AS IS. Hope Paul Mara is as tough as some here say and is healthy. Get a defensive coach to halp… someone in the organization or ex habs  who will come on board.

But we supplement with grit and  offense, or potential offense, as cheaply as possible.

a: We must add a BIG PUGNACIOUS GRITTY FORWARD.  A team guy who WILL be given minutes not inserted only for fighting and can help set tone on the ice. Then we assign him, White, Moen to be our toughness by committee solution. At practices they must be drilled accordingly. No trying to make them part of top line or 2nd line etc etc.

Their role is not to score. Their role is to make room on the ice, push back at key moments of the game, disrupt the opposition, be forceful and irritating. Every nw and then we insert a player who’s showing game in with them as a reward(extra time) but we DO NOT TRY AND FIT THEM IN TO MAKE OTHER PLAYERS GO.

b: We must add a pure goal scorer ‘rental’. Someone who may not have had a great season but who is definitely a threat on the ice. I say Kovalev but you can suggest others. A power play specialist. Please no ‘small forward’. It aint gonna work irregardless of his pedigree. We are too small AS IS.

c: Get Auld ready for more action. It looks like he’s gonna have to be thrown into the fray. Carey may need rest.

So with those pieces assembled, JM and PG and coaching staff analyse last previous 15 games and next 20 or so games. Honestly hone in on patterns and weaknesses .. including decisions or tendencies from the bench. In other words an honest appraisal and re-dedication to becoming a more ASSERTIVE team.

No time to fool anymore. Too late and too poor options wise to look for that big impact trade. Too fragile in composition and style on ice to stand pat in personnel and philosophy. Too nebulous formation wise to properly identify real strengths…. meaning too many players being asked to do the same broad type of work on the ice.

Ok!  Meeting over. Let’s put this plan in action and go make the playoffs and get focussed. No more looking at past glories. No more trying to get ‘superstar’ results from underperforming forwards. Forget about being 1st in Division… let’s just be IN and READY!

Fill the holes and go play.

Who ate the last donut? Geez!

106. shiram says:

Prospect and a first rounder for a rental? no thank you.

107. RiverviewCanadien says:

Hmmm I would do this years 1st round, Sanford and Maxwell, provided they could lock Kaberle up

108. sholi2000.com says:

Funny how this game can turn in an instant.

On Feb 1, I predicted maybe two loses.

Now they can’t beat anyone worth beating.

Nothing you can do when the injury bug gets ya.  In the long run it could make for a better playoff run.

Off to Minot ND, for an atom hockey tourny.  I’m actually happy I won’t be watching the Habs this weekend.  I hate the ol idea of a outdoor game against the Flamers!  There’s nothing classic or heritage about it.

They Call Me Shane

109. Miltie01 says:

Darche and DD played poorly last night, their ice time reflects that.

Jacques is really good at seeing who isn’t effective and adjusting accordingly.

No judgment on those two however, they are usually to of our hardest workers and are usually effective.

Last night just was not their night is all.

110. ed lopaz says:

One of Jacques Martin’s in-game adjustments – along with playing his D half to death after James Wisniewski’s injury – was sitting two players whose skating couldn’t keep up with the whippet-fast Oilers. But the limited use of Mathieu Darche, ToI 5:40, and David Desharnais, 11:06, meant Martin was going with a three-line team that ran out of gas in the third period.

I’m not sure what to say about this – from Boone’s “about last night”.

My first thought was:  David Desharnais has been our most productive forward, and is CERTAINLY FAST ENOUGH to keep up with the Oilers.

My second thought was: it is Darche’s relentless effort and forechecking, backchecking, that has helped us stay a float during this tough stretch of injuries

My third thought was: everytime someone tries to convince me that Jacques Martin is an “excellent” NHL coach, he coaches a game like the one last night.

I wasn’t even going to post this morning, but someone needs to hold the coach accountable.

When we win games by playing our most effective players, and then we lose a bad one with 2 of those guys on the bench, someone needs to ask for an explanation.

We never get the explanation because Martin is given a free pass in this town.

111. shiram says:

RDS is saying (speculating?) Wisniewski is out for the Classic, up to one month, if there is a fracture.

In other somewhat related new’s the Wiz’s  hockey stick is the coolest.

112. habs365 says:

Bottom line..AK don’t wanna be a Hab..they got rid of his brother and if you don’t think that is a factor..you’re wrong..he’s a good player..but he’ll never fit in with the Habs…

113. Cool Ice Price says:

I’d say it’s even!

114. Kooch7800 says:

Gomez for sure.  Moen is being put in a role he is not suited for.  In no way is he a top 6 guy.

I am not a gomez fan but he played pretty well last night.

AK minus one season has played like this every year

115. SmartDog says:

Who’s sucked more this year:  AK, Moen, Gomez?

116. Say Ash says:

If the Wiz plays tomorrow, is that more impressive than Moen or Gorges last year? Rank the three…

117. Kooch7800 says:

I would agree.  Right now I think there is a bigger issue on our D though.

118. Cool Ice Price says:

Yes they do Kimberly,. Yes they do. BUT that Forward nas to be big & tuff. Same goes for the D-man. We need two big D’s

119. Kimberly2u says:

We need another defensemen and another forward…whether that will happen or not who knows….they are playing the best they can considering the injuries but it’s catching up with them

120. Kooch7800 says:

If we don’t play better D we are going to get destroyed in the West swing.  We don’t have the fire power to play run and gun.

Hopefully Wiz is not out too long

121. SmartDog says:

Gomez has looking like he’s trying hard down to an art.  I have a 6-year-old who’s got it down well too, she’s cute and people always rush to her aid.  Works for her… but she’s 6.

Gomez’s crappy season continues to roll on, when the Habs win he’s all “I’m happy the team is winning”.  When the Habs lose he should donate money to charity for his generally sucky play.

—-

122. HabFanSince72 says:

Great analysis again by Arpon Basu.

I still thought Gomez and AK46 were trying hard.

123. derfab says:

Darche has proven himself and should have had Moen’s spot. Moen is a trooper but horrible with the puck. His only use on the Gomez line would be to police a little and that was not an issue.

124. nhsdgbfdge says:

this handle makes my lifestyle route has undergone enormous adjustments. This handle can make me pain and joy. I misplaced too considerably, but I acquired also considerably. As soon as once more verify him, I burst into tears once again.

thanks, thanks fish. I can see him ~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe inside future I will notice my dream, when I enjoy the dream into reality when I even now be nostalgia for your these individuals, people stuff ~~~~~~~

thanked posts inside the blue clown fish, Lotte PIE,ms office 2010 OneNote download, windcandle, milk Miller,windows vista home premium reviews If life can not, Huan River, Yuejia Yang, Mei Chuan spouse operate. . . . . . Hope they have an ideal existence now. Dig ha ha

Chen

5 a long time back and now I’m fully not a similar person I may want to, even though I still possess the impulse in the time, but many of the time nevertheless dominated by my personal purpose. I saw him cry mainly because he was for me frank innocence,Hilarious!,office 2010 InfoPath keys, since I have the want then the simple and refreshing. So I misplaced the person ought to not be misplaced,JAY, may want to not have created a mistake. But perhaps these kinds of a mistake, let me grow to be who I’m and my motivation to become powerful,win vista generator store, so I’ve a purpose. So I want to thank him I’ve actually cherished, I prefer to thank him I manufactured a error, mainly because not having them I’d not possess a sturdy internal desire to become a guy.

125. LA Loyalist says:

You know what is scary? The Chelios and Roy train-wrecks both tie to Ronald Corey — what if we brought Roy back as coach with Muller to coach the offense and Chelios to coach the defence…

…would that correct the rend in the time-space discontinuum? Hey, it works in the movies…