That really did happen, right?

The series standings say Canadiens 1, Capitals 0. Is this a good time to remind our friends at The Hockey News that they picked the Capitals in four straight? Is this a good time to remind Alexander Ovechkin that the series has begun?

Of course it much too early to gloat. The Canadiens, while quite terrific for some of the game, were decidedly outplayed for portions of the match and needed the usual heroics of goalie Jaroslav Halak to save their bacon.

The Habs must win three more games in their Eastern Conference quarterfinal – and you know the Presidents Cup-champion Capitals are not going to go quietly into the night.

Both teams practise today (Habs skate at noon at the Verizon Centre) in advance of tomorrow night’s Game 2. Stay tuned for updates, audio and more.

1. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m sure the Olympic Gold in his house will sustain him for a while.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. Ronan G says:

Hey I have that same habs wall piece!! haha

Cheers!

“The NHL was going to test the Stanley Cup for lysteria, but then they realized it hasn’t touch a Maple Leaf product in over 42 years!”

3. Bugs says:

Aw nuts, I’ve been saying “Go to bed, the Red” for a bit now.

Do I have to switch?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

4. habs03 says:

I think two people that deserve a lot of credit for last night other than Gomez, Cammy, Jagr and Spacek, are JM and Hal Gill, JM outcoached BB last night and Hal Gill played over 25 minutes of solid D. Question, I don’t think Markov is playing as much as he could because MAB is his partner, I must admit MAB has been playing well (for you Jimmy Shaker, MAB #1 fan), but why not put Markov with Spacek and MAB with Hamrlik, just a thought.

5. TomNickle says:

Rick Nash may have to wait a long time too!

With Jacques Martin at the helm, we are doomed to be a good team instead of a great one.

6. Bugs says:

You’re too dang diplomatic, Stubby; say what you mean.

Aw hell, I’ll do it:

To all you scum who said Cappers in 4. To all the pseudo-connaisseurs who can’t see further than their disdain for our club. To all those who saw us as fodder incapable of resisting the oh-so-mighty Ovy,

In. Your. Face. Thass right: in your face.

Take last night’s score, take the psychological war we are winning like gangbusters, mix’em up, and shove’em both. In. Your. Face.

All up in your face.

Suckers.

Thank you.

Signed, Stubby.

There. Is that so hard?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

7. TomNickle says:

I wonder if Mike Shanahan and Donovan McNabb will make an appearance tomorrow night?

Gilbert Arenas probably won’t.  Ha.

8. Dave Stubbs says:

Going to suggest to my friend Red Fisher that he change his name for the rest of this series.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

9. havok says:

Stock also said that Habs were aweful in the second, passing wasnt crisp and that they basically sucked LOL, Stock as an analyst is like a Stupid person calling you Stupid, you just dont take it seriously

10. joeybarrie says:

This is my new saying…. I LOVE IT. Youre a genius…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

11. tdrmoss84 says:

The talking heads below the boarder don’t know what to say either…Melrose and Barnaby said the Caps will sweep em.  Loved watching them eat their words today, let’s just hope it continues!  Mullet boy is still sore about the illegal stick call back in ’93!  Get over it Barry…Hail St Patrick!  Go Habs Go!

12. nunacanadien says:

I am grateful no one wanted Halak last year at the end of the year when Gainey was still coach/GM,  let us at least get our history right.  With Martin there, he has transitioned Halak nicely and spared Price the shame of having to earn his spot on the Habs.  Price is lucky to have the respect of some fans still.

13. joeybarrie says:

My mood is GREAT. I haven’t really heard from ANY of my friends here. Most people here only care about Hockey when the Caps win. When it doesn’t happen, they go to Football, Baseball, Basketball, or whatever. So far though I haven’t heard from anyone. AND I LOVE IT…

My Facebook page status was updated yesterday to “YOU HAVE MUCH TO LEARN ABOUT HOCKEY WASHINGTON CAPITALS….GO HABS GO…”  And I have only had friends from Montreal commenting…

But I will keep you posted. However i feel people will just stay away from me today…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

14. ACF says:

I hope it turns out to be “Shock the Red” instead of “Rock the Red”…

15. Clay4bc says:

As have I, my friend…

_________________

Don’t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

16. Malreg says:

I can’t stand him on the CHOM morning show.  Every single time he does the sports he takes a shot at the Habs.

17. TomNickle says:

What’s the mood like in D.C. today Joey?

18. Storm Man says:

Stock that ice princess just mute him, he was scared to skate down the track at the Red Bull crashed ice in Quebec City.

19. TomNickle says:

FANTASTIC!

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Well when you’re a marginal NHL player trying to work every possible radio and TV gig at once because you’re starved for attention, chances are you’ll contradict yourself now and then.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. joeybarrie says:

Game one down, and we are ahead. We may not WIN, but I think we have learned we can’t simply write of the Habs chances. And we certainly can’t say now that our Smurfs suck……..

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Quote of the day for me is Habs Eyes on the Prize post-game writeup by Robert L.

“Better yet, Montreal took five of a possible eight points against
    Washington. So did the Capitals, which might suggest the NHL is as
    mathematically challenged as Gary Bettman is vertically challenged.”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Messier and Gretzky were in their 6th NHL seasons before their first win, Lemieux didn’t lift a Stanley Cup until his 7th NHL season, Sakic took 8, Stevie Y took 14 seasons to get there. They weren’t winners? Not all stars, superstars become winners right away. A lot of it is where you land and what kind of teams you play on.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

24. BoomBoom says:

PJ Stock is anti-Hab and never gives the Habs any credit but always points out the negative. He’s a Bruin at heart and a marginal NHLer at best. I don’t give 2 hoots what he has to say about the Habs nor hockey. Glad he left Team 990, Randy Tieman is much better and a real pleasure to listen to.

25. TomNickle says:

They traded their Captain early in the season.  Their coach is abusing reporters on a daily basis.  They’re under investigation for steroid purchasing and usage, they have one superstar who gets more attention than the other 19 players combined and they have guys like Laich, Fleischmann, Knuble and Schultz who get next to no credit for their success.  Win they win it’s because of their offense and when they lose it’s because of their goaltending.

Would it really surprise anyone if there was a problem in the locker room?  I’m not saying there is, but it wouldn’t shock me.

26. Top Corner says:

Love the “quote”….hilarious…LMAO

….and that goal WAS SICK…..GOMEZ…WHAT!?!?!? WHOOO

27. HabFanSince72 says:

PJ sings a different song when he’s  on l’antichambre, the little two-faced snitch.

28. showey47 says:

every time i see your avatar i break out laughing, giggity,giggity,goo,lmao

29. forskis says:

You might be just grasping at straws…if OV decides on his play based on who is in net, then that would lend credence to the same arguments used in Price vs. Halak…got to give the players a little more credit than that.  OV had a bad game, that’s it, that’s all.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

30. habsguy says:

You mean all of a sudden something is wrong in their dressing room,  they just won the presidents cup.

Did you ever think maybe he’s a little banged up,  or maybe took us to lightly.

As for Varlamov,  why would they bench Theo,  he was awesome!!!!!…as a matter of fact,  they were both awesome!!!

31. AndyF says:

I think he took a really nasty spill into the player’s bench in the first period.   That must’ve hurt.   Halak and the Habs played a good game.  Washington gave up, for some reason.

Site of Aerolab, A Virtual Windtunnel
    for You and Your Bike

32. forskis says:

Not that it matters…but since I heard that Milbury and Hrudey laughed at Montreal’s chances, I checked CBC post-game to see what they would say…Milbury, to his credit, mocked the Caps’ attempts to play defence and the trap…however, Stock during his intermission highlights threw in the term “undeserved” to describe the win…in any case, it does not matter what the talking heads say…what matters is on the ice and so far the ice says 1-0 Montreal…

Now go and win Game #2 with a better first period, Les Boys and you will have beaten the expectations of the pundits.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

33. Ton says:

not true you saw the transitioning of price to halak happening while was gainey was actively there. i am sure he still has a say in this matter. like any manager you go with  your go to guy until the lastest possible time and than make adjustments if need be. gainey could do this. i don’t think gainey would have traded halak.  put it this way halak is on  short leash. if he would have lost both games in wash or get hammered 7-1 i bet we see price in net. therefore do not disassociate this team with gainey. it was his team that won yesterday period.

34. Ton says:

35. TomNickle says:

I hate to knock one of our players today but if MAB leveled me when I was going to the net I’d probably have some confidence issues too! Haha.

Anyway, I posted on the other thread that I think this season our Habs have frustrated Ovechkin with the in your face play that he’s seen. He’s shown at every level that when you get on his nerves he goes into a shell and hides.  Hopefully the trend continues.

36. Rush says:

Well said, and I remember a similar phenomenon a few years ago [’08?] when the Habs came out SMOKIN against the Bruins in the first period of Game 1, and I don’t recall seeing that level of intensity from them again in that series [even tho I believe the Habs won it in Game 7…]

37. CHsam says:

i agree with ya Ed. I think theres something wrong in the room….and a tinge of entitlement feeling

38. SlovakHab says:

Right, worst fans in the league. How many of those other ‘great’ fans did stay up til 4-5am to watch the game?

How many of them have done it regularly in the last 3 years? Because I have, and I wouldn’t take any of it back.

39. ed lopaz says:

trying to figure out whats wrong with ovechkin – only 2nd game all season failed to register a shot – boudreay really called him out in post game press conference – saying OV did NOT PLAY WELL ;

I may be ahead of myself – but I think there is something wrong in the Caps room – maybe the Captain does not agree with the coach on some key decisions – like goaltending. for example.

I know habs played OV tough – but he was definitely not himself last night – on many occasions he simply gave up after losing the first battle.

he could run over any of our defence at will – crush them on the forecheck – literally injure them with a legal hit – yet he chose to play very passive by his standards.

I think we will see Varlamov before this series is out – maybe as early as Saturday.

40. Storm Man says:

Im happy that we have the players that want to be physical and take it to a new level in the playoffs. One down three more to go :)

41. Malreg says:

Well unfortunately I didn’t buy the cancellation insurance…  That and my wife would probably kill me.

Maybe I’d try to sell the vacation to someone….lol

42. TomNickle says:

I think the first period was more indicative of a home playoff game for the Caps than it was a poor showing from the Habs.  In playoff games it’s typical that the road team has to weather the storm in the first period.  The great thing about it is that if the home team doesn’t score during that storm, they’re usually ripe for the picking immediately following it due to being spent.  That’s just my opinion though.  Saw it in the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia games Wednesday night too.  Even saw it in the Canuck game last night.

43. pmaraw says:

LMFAO!!!!  (i want the habs to lose so they put price in net)  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

44. madmat411 says:

You know, I asked myself that very question this morning. “Did That really Happen Last Night”. So, I opened my computer and saw that on H I/O, it said we won…..I wasn’t convinced. So, i dragged my still half asleep self upstairs and found the newspaper. It read that the habs won…..still not convinced. So, i went to my tv and rewatched the game i recorded…..then realized i was watching the wrong recording….when i finally watched the end of the Habs/Caps game, I was convinced! WE WON!….thought i’d share a lovly story HAHA

45. pmaraw says:

would you cancel it? if the habs made it that far? how deep do the habs run in your blood?

46. SLONCOLD says:

let hope we have more second period efforts as compared to the first period efforts.

47. TomNickle says:

Win or lose, this team is playing PLAYOFF hockey which is something that’s been missing in this organization for almost twenty years.  If they continue to be physical and fight to win battles I’ll be happy.

48. linp says:

I think Washington will play more physical and hit harder next game. Our team needs to prepare for that. We need to watch the replay of the 2nd and 3rd period and continue to play our game no matter what Washington is doing. JM’s “system” works very well when we roll four lines. Last night’s 2nd and 3rd period reminds me of our team right after the Olympics.

49. MontrealAtheist says:

Just keep in mind that with Bob Gainey as coach or GM we would never be in this position in the first place. Heck, due to his blind faith in Carey Price we would almost certainly have missed the playoffs altogether and Halak would already have been traded away.

JM, while being far from perfect, gave Halak the chance that he deserved and as everyone could see yesterday, it’s paying off very well.

50. pmaraw says:

i think he played mab cause he figured it’d be a shootout ie. 6-5 score or something.  the more offensive weapons habs have vs caps the better.

51. pmaraw says:

looked like a rope a dope to me, not 1st period nerves, but who knows, i’m probably overly optimistic that jm would come up with a clever idea like that.

52. Ronan G says:

Ovy is a goal scorer not a winner… he hasn’t won any big prize in hockey yet to date. I still don’t get the argument of some people who would rather have Ovy over Crosby. Crosby’s resume speaks for itself…..

53. Ronan G says:

JM thinks MAB will be more beneficial for the power play so he sat the guy that he felt he could do without. Plain and simple. MAB scares me though……….

54. SLONCOLD says:

Theo had a heck of a game. bottom line yesterday is the caps couldn’t hit the net in the second and third period. they were going high and missing on jaro alot. and our defense never gave up and they weren’t perfect but when it counted then came back to break up some odd man rushes

i would be surprised if they switched goalies but ya never know…

55. ed lopaz says:

you’re right – of course  – I was just speculating on why OV played so crap, and how this series will evolve.

56. Shublips says:

Amazing win by the Habs but they’ll need to be better if they want to win the series.  They can’t give up 19 shots in the first and expect to keep coming out with a 1-1- tie.

Montreal-Washington: Plekanec’s OT Winner Draws First Blood for Habs:

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

57. Ronan G says:

Great game boys! Shake off that first period nerves, and get going. How about that sick play by Gomez to setup and finish the game tying goal!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Must have been a lot of habs fans logging on last night cause I couldn’t get onto habsinsideout because of “too many connections”. BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!!!

58. McPhee35 says:

Question:  On All Habs it says “As for the adjustments, its time that coach Martin shelves his enormous ego and does what is best for the team.” in relation to adding OB to the lineup… What did I miss regarding OB vs. Martin?  Was their some type of specific drama between them or is OB being punished for not playing as well recently?

59. notbigbird says:

As we have seen, when they want to, Habs can play with anybody although that doesn’t guarantee a win. Conversely, anybody can play with the Habs although that doesn’t necessarily guarantee a loss.

60. nohockey2004 says:

The 4th line didn’t play much in the first period, but when they got the chance in the 2nd & 3rd, they showed what hard work will do. Max, Darche & Pyatt did lots of dirty work when they were out there.

I wish Sergei would keep his foot on the gas & take a hit to make a play.

61. avatar_58 says:

Good lord buddy get over yourself. You just want to be there to say “ha see I was right we do suck!” when they lose. How about showing some joy for the utter insanity we just witnessed?

Personally I couldn’t be happier even if this is the only win we get.

62. BosKibbles says:

He was healthy and tried to work his magic earlier this year on the Habs, and that didn’t work.

I figure he’s got a couple of games where he’ll get 3 points – but if the Habs are going to lose a few games to the Caps they better be the ones where Ovechkin is on fire!

63. Tharsis says:

Some people just have a complete inability to be happy…instead of bashing all habs fans for being happy after an unlikely victory why not suck it up and say ‘YAY’, who knows it might make you smile a little bit.

Why not enjoy the fact that Gomez played great, enjoy the fact that Spacek was able to neutralize Ovechkin, enjoy the fact that Halak played lights out.  If you sit back and enjoy it for just this one moment you may not feel the need to be a hater.

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

64. BosKibbles says:

Hahahahahahaha Leafs.

65. ed lopaz says:

OK – I’m going to be the first one to say it.

I “think” – total speculation – that Ovechkin would rather have Varlamov tending the twine.

theodore has won a lot of games lately, so I thought their goaltending “issue” might be behind them

theodore did NOT play badly last night – I thought he was better than OK at some points – but not spectacular on the Cammy and Pleks goals – beat clean by shots.

Varlamov carried this team last playoffs – Theodore appeared in 2 games last year and totaled 6 minutes of playing time

Varlamov is a young russian kid who could have a close relationship with Ovechkin and Semin, is waiting to get back in the nets.

if i’m boudreau – I make the switch for game 2 – and this could ignite Ovechkin and Semin;

I’ve seen great players’ games sag quite a bit when they don’t believe in their goalie; and the opposite is true as well – many players raise their game to another level when they have confidence in their goalie.

pure speculation on my part – of course.

66. BosKibbles says:

Jaromiroquoi – he’s got some moves! Virtual insanity in goal last night.

Our little girl has quite the rocket too.

67. Malreg says:

Oh boy, I foolishly booked a 1 week caribbean vacation for the first week of June, not realizing that the Habs will probably be in the Stanley Cup Finals at that time!!!

😛

68. Ton says:

This win is dedicated to Bob Gainey

Bob had a vision, a managerial savvy that was beyond most of us. He tried telling us fans that building a team in the new NHL was a difficult to do Especially when other teams are attempting the same. I hope he left on his own accord and not driven away by his critiques.  This is his team, his vision. Good managers get most of it right and do make mistakes. (Sam Pollock did also) In end he gave us respected representation like no other. He talked, we listened. He reignited the passion in us all that disappeared in the nineties. Best of luck Bob. Enjoy your family.

69. SLONCOLD says:

still alot of hockey to play but what a game it was. Halak kept us in and then shut the door. and our money players came out to play.

Habs will have to be even better to win he next one but if then can shuti down ovi and get the small, tired, not really a starter, can’t handle the pressure halak to play at the top of his game, i gotta say i’m liking our chances.

logic says caps should win this, but screw it i’m changing my view and going with my heart now

70. BosKibbles says:

The icing on the cake for last night’s game was that the guy who runs Pension Plan Puppets lost a bet that the Habs would get swept in the playoffs!

Go here for deets -> Ha ha Leaf fans

71. avatar_58 says:

I’m still stunned. Who was that team playing in the last half? The habs? Wow.

Jaro – unreal. There’s no way they’d have a chance if he didn’t decide to channel his best Roy impression.

72. soperman says:

YOU ARE DARN FREAKING RIGHT IT HAPPENED.  AND IT WILL HAPPEN A LOT MORE TIMES!!!!!!

“Pusie possessed a wickedly wild shot, so inaccurate that he could not hit the province of Quebec if he was standing inside the Montreal Forum.” Dick Beddoes

73. coachdoug says:

Weren’t you were posting that Plek was a “little girl” prior to the game…Montreal fans are some of the most passionate fans in the NHL…Yeah some are idiots…

Who cares about Ovechkin…This is a team game and I hate when all the focus is on one guy…The Caps may still beat us but let’s applaud the team when they play like last night…Ovechkin fell apart during the Olympics…I would be way more worried about Crosby if we were playing the Pens…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

74. sholi2000.com says:

Montreal Fans?  Easy there fella.  Don’t compare the whole crop to one bad batch.  We fans (yes I represent all fans from Manitoba and PEI) are completely different from the non believers in Montreal, and by non believers I mean the drunks up in the balcony haha.

They call me Shane

75. Iceberg84 says:

My main fear right now is that this game was basically what the caps would be like without Ovechkin. If he starts working his magic, games like last night will go the other way long before OT…

Still, my meager playoff expectations were met: the habs weren’t swept in the first round. We gave the best team in the league something to think about and hopefully garnered a little respect for the Canadiens! Let’s see how long it continues…