That really did happen, right?

The series standings say Canadiens 1, Capitals 0. Is this a good time to remind our friends at The Hockey News that they picked the Capitals in four straight? Is this a good time to remind Alexander Ovechkin that the series has begun?

Of course it much too early to gloat. The Canadiens, while quite terrific for some of the game, were decidedly outplayed for portions of the match and needed the usual heroics of goalie Jaroslav Halak to save their bacon.

The Habs must win three more games in their Eastern Conference quarterfinal – and you know the Presidents Cup-champion Capitals are not going to go quietly into the night.

Both teams practise today (Habs skate at noon at the Verizon Centre) in advance of tomorrow night’s Game 2. Stay tuned for updates, audio and more.

1. TomNickle says:

Ian.  I’m giving Bob Gainey credit.  I was telling Patty that the majority of HIO posters hate him because the team hasn’t won a Cup.

You won’t find a bigger fan of the man that me.

With Jacques Martin at the helm, we are doomed to be a good team instead of a great one.

2. avatar_58 says:

Good lord buddy get over yourself. You just want to be there to say “ha see I was right we do suck!” when they lose. How about showing some joy for the utter insanity we just witnessed?

Personally I couldn’t be happier even if this is the only win we get.

3. BosKibbles says:

He was healthy and tried to work his magic earlier this year on the Habs, and that didn’t work.

I figure he’s got a couple of games where he’ll get 3 points – but if the Habs are going to lose a few games to the Caps they better be the ones where Ovechkin is on fire!

4. Tharsis says:

Some people just have a complete inability to be happy…instead of bashing all habs fans for being happy after an unlikely victory why not suck it up and say ‘YAY’, who knows it might make you smile a little bit.

Why not enjoy the fact that Gomez played great, enjoy the fact that Spacek was able to neutralize Ovechkin, enjoy the fact that Halak played lights out.  If you sit back and enjoy it for just this one moment you may not feel the need to be a hater.

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

5. BosKibbles says:

Hahahahahahaha Leafs.

6. ed lopaz says:

OK – I’m going to be the first one to say it.

I “think” – total speculation – that Ovechkin would rather have Varlamov tending the twine.

theodore has won a lot of games lately, so I thought their goaltending “issue” might be behind them

theodore did NOT play badly last night – I thought he was better than OK at some points – but not spectacular on the Cammy and Pleks goals – beat clean by shots.

Varlamov carried this team last playoffs – Theodore appeared in 2 games last year and totaled 6 minutes of playing time

Varlamov is a young russian kid who could have a close relationship with Ovechkin and Semin, is waiting to get back in the nets.

if i’m boudreau – I make the switch for game 2 – and this could ignite Ovechkin and Semin;

I’ve seen great players’ games sag quite a bit when they don’t believe in their goalie; and the opposite is true as well – many players raise their game to another level when they have confidence in their goalie.

pure speculation on my part – of course.

7. BosKibbles says:

Jaromiroquoi – he’s got some moves! Virtual insanity in goal last night.

Our little girl has quite the rocket too.

Dead wrong Tommy boy!

9. Malreg says:

Oh boy, I foolishly booked a 1 week caribbean vacation for the first week of June, not realizing that the Habs will probably be in the Stanley Cup Finals at that time!!!

:P

True dat Patty boy!

11. Ton says:

This win is dedicated to Bob Gainey

Bob had a vision, a managerial savvy that was beyond most of us. He tried telling us fans that building a team in the new NHL was a difficult to do Especially when other teams are attempting the same. I hope he left on his own accord and not driven away by his critiques.  This is his team, his vision. Good managers get most of it right and do make mistakes. (Sam Pollock did also) In end he gave us respected representation like no other. He talked, we listened. He reignited the passion in us all that disappeared in the nineties. Best of luck Bob. Enjoy your family.

12. Ronan G says:

MAB will definitely be a re-signing player for sure, i’m not too sure there is a lot of interest for him and we can sign him for cheap. Hamrlik will be traded with whichever goalie they can’t re-sign. I’m still interested in who will be staying and who will be going.

“The NHL was going to test the Stanley Cup for lysteria, but then they realized it hasn’t touch a Maple Leaf product in over 42 years!”

13. SLONCOLD says:

still alot of hockey to play but what a game it was. Halak kept us in and then shut the door. and our money players came out to play.

Habs will have to be even better to win he next one but if then can shuti down ovi and get the small, tired, not really a starter, can’t handle the pressure halak to play at the top of his game, i gotta say i’m liking our chances.

logic says caps should win this, but screw it i’m changing my view and going with my heart now

14. BosKibbles says:

The icing on the cake for last night’s game was that the guy who runs Pension Plan Puppets lost a bet that the Habs would get swept in the playoffs!

Go here for deets -> Ha ha Leaf fans

15. avatar_58 says:

I’m still stunned. Who was that team playing in the last half? The habs? Wow.

Jaro – unreal. There’s no way they’d have a chance if he didn’t decide to channel his best Roy impression.

16. soperman says:

YOU ARE DARN FREAKING RIGHT IT HAPPENED.  AND IT WILL HAPPEN A LOT MORE TIMES!!!!!!

“Pusie possessed a wickedly wild shot, so inaccurate that he could not hit the province of Quebec if he was standing inside the Montreal Forum.” Dick Beddoes

17. coachdoug says:

Weren’t you were posting that Plek was a “little girl” prior to the game…Montreal fans are some of the most passionate fans in the NHL…Yeah some are idiots…

Who cares about Ovechkin…This is a team game and I hate when all the focus is on one guy…The Caps may still beat us but let’s applaud the team when they play like last night…Ovechkin fell apart during the Olympics…I would be way more worried about Crosby if we were playing the Pens…

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

Well you have just seen Bob clean house and rebuild from the ground up. 100% better team than last years floaters. Bob has done the job that he came here to do before he retired.

Great job Bob! we owe you tons for years to come sir.!

19. sholi2000.com says:

Montreal Fans?  Easy there fella.  Don’t compare the whole crop to one bad batch.  We fans (yes I represent all fans from Manitoba and PEI) are completely different from the non believers in Montreal, and by non believers I mean the drunks up in the balcony haha.

They call me Shane

20. Mad Habber says:

Actually didnt they pick the Sabres/Bawruins over the Habs?

21. Iceberg84 says:

My main fear right now is that this game was basically what the caps would be like without Ovechkin. If he starts working his magic, games like last night will go the other way long before OT…

Still, my meager playoff expectations were met: the habs weren’t swept in the first round. We gave the best team in the league something to think about and hopefully garnered a little respect for the Canadiens! Let’s see how long it continues…

22. forskis says:

Relax about the CBC…the fact of the matter is that the NHL gave TSN the rights to one first round playoff series involving a Canadian team…the CBC picked Crosby vs. the Sens for their East coast coverage and get the Canucks for their West coast coverage and that leaves the Habs for TSN.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Bettman and the NHL for breaking CBC’s tradition of showing all the Canadian teams in the playoffs.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

23. SLONCOLD says:

just to push your buttons lol JM made this team better

24. forskis says:

But that would mean that Gainey knew what he was doing (for this game at least)…but that can’t be true…Gainey’s players are all too small to compete and they are going to get swept by the Caps in the first round…but that would mean Gainey isn’t “Bobby” or “Bobo”…my head hurts now…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

25. TomNickle says:

Ok Sergio.

26. joeybarrie says:

I must say that i don’t understand the reasoning some have about players playing better depending on which player is in the net… I cannot imagine Ovie woprrying about Theo or Varly in goals. I cannot Imagine having either in the goal doing ANYTHING for a forward player… Just my opinion…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

27. Clay4bc says:

Letting Dandy go was a mistake IMO – can’t believe he wasn’t scooped up right away too. Heart and grit like that is rare.

_________________

Don’t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

28. derfab says:

CBC picking Crosby over the Habs is what really sucks. Shame on the effite bastards. I hope their budgets get slashed to nothing and that they lose whatever decision making power they now have. The Habs paid the bill for the crap they have put on for 50 years.

29. krob1000 says:

In all fairness…..he was that horrible when he first signed with us (defensively). I find it funny now but he could barely skate…he looked like a drunk garden gnome out there. He was falling all over the place, couldn’t hold onto the puck, got drilled every game, was ridiculously out of sync with the game,etc……but then every now and then he would unleash a bomb from the point and score.  Then he got his feet under him …after all he had no training camp but most of us did not see enough of him to have an accurate gauge of what were getting…and the early indications were enough to warrant the criticism…defensively.  He has since proven that he is a great first passer and another puck mover as well as a threat from the point….he can make his own space and we needed that.  Defensively he is still below average to average but as for the total package he offers…I like him on D.. especially at his price…..he would be better camouflaged on a d with more physicality but with our teams makeup offensively at forward a guy like him is needed as our forwards need the puck with speed..he helps big time back there with that.

30. jimmy shaker says:

And a way, way, way cheaper cap hit (then green)…..I say sign him as well!!!

Shaker

31. jimmy shaker says:

I thought the best fit for MAB was on the D, but with JM using 7D, so he wouldn’t get the crazy minutes he’s been getting.  I thought if he was used about 15-17 min, that would be perfect…..even I am surprised at his minutes and his play of late.  I know he’s weak at times in our zone, but he must be working hard at practice because he’s really improved.

Shaker

32. HabFanSince72 says:

I did too, although I don’t post often. Playing him as a forward only decreased his confidence on D.And he really isn’t that bad on D. In fact he made some good defensive plays in the 2nd and 3rd period yesterday. Besides, if we’re going to repeat 1993 we need someone to play the role of Eric Desjardins.

I hope we re-sign MAB next year. Second highest goals per game after Mike Green.

33. TomNickle says:

Giving Bob Gainey any credit for building this team is borderline blasphemy on this site Patty.  If he were judged by this site alone he would be considered a complete failure who did nothing to make this team better when all of the evidence suggests otherwise.  Any success this team has from here forward will be the direct result of Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin and you will be chastised for suggesting otherwise.

34. habs03 says:

Very true but I still think we need some retooling in the summer, but I wanted to point out Gill and JM because they get a lot heat from everyone here.

35. jimmy shaker says:

Last night I was crowned #1 fan of Halak, and today I’m MAB’s #1 fan………that’s some pretty big shoes to fill.   But yes I like what these two guys bring to the table and enjoy watching them both play.  Even though MAB does have his occasional brain cramp if the puck is on his stick a little too long, and does get out muscled sometimes…but overall I thought he was very solid in his 27+ min he and Marky were on the ice.  I just think for what MAB brings and the cheap cap hit he takes:  he is a great fit for this team……Now if you want to talk about #1 fanclub president, then for sure I’m that guy for Mathieu Dandenault….I wish we had this guy on the ice, he’d be way better than Hammer and his 5mill cap hit and Dandy is twice the player at a fraction of the cost……I’ll get that petition going in the summer!

Shaker

36. habs03 says:

Ever time MAB makes a good play Defensively I tihnk of you, your the only guy that kept asking for MAB to be put back on D and I would always call you out on it, your really making me eat my words :)

37. HabFanSince72 says:

In fairness to PJ, he bloodied Dale Hunter in a fight.

38. HabFanSince72 says:

And he STILL wears a mullet.

Having a mullet is like listening to CHOM: a mistake in the 80′s, but a total lack of a clue these days.

39. TomNickle says:

I don’t think I would characterize Bylsma as a better coach than Boudreau but I would rather have Pittsburgh’s blueline than Washington’s any day of the week.  Jordan Staal helps too.

Oh, and Crosby doesn’t take 180 second shifts like Ovechkin does.  That makes playing in May and June a little easier.  If Crosby took a 2 minute shift, I don’t think Bylsma would encourage like Boudreau does however.

40. habs03 says:

Right on with Markov covering for MAB and Spacek for Hamrlik, but what I was trying to say is putting them together who lead giving more mintues to Markov and Spacek, but hey your right don’t fix it if it’s not broken

41. jimmy shaker says:

Spot on there Ronan….Spacek and Hammer have been together all year, they have to stay together.  And I like Marky and MAB together.  Marky pinch’s a lot too, but he knows how to pick his spots better than MAB.

Shaker