That really did happen, right?

The series standings say Canadiens 1, Capitals 0. Is this a good time to remind our friends at The Hockey News that they picked the Capitals in four straight? Is this a good time to remind Alexander Ovechkin that the series has begun?

Of course it much too early to gloat. The Canadiens, while quite terrific for some of the game, were decidedly outplayed for portions of the match and needed the usual heroics of goalie Jaroslav Halak to save their bacon.

The Habs must win three more games in their Eastern Conference quarterfinal – and you know the Presidents Cup-champion Capitals are not going to go quietly into the night.

Both teams practise today (Habs skate at noon at the Verizon Centre) in advance of tomorrow night’s Game 2. Stay tuned for updates, audio and more.

1. adam76 says:

billions of dollars a year of taxpayers money goes to the CBC – it makes my stomach turn.

2. TomNickle says:

Ian.  I’m giving Bob Gainey credit.  I was telling Patty that the majority of HIO posters hate him because the team hasn’t won a Cup.

You won’t find a bigger fan of the man that me.

With Jacques Martin at the helm, we are doomed to be a good team instead of a great one.

Dead wrong Tommy boy!

True dat Patty boy!

5. Ronan G says:

MAB will definitely be a re-signing player for sure, i’m not too sure there is a lot of interest for him and we can sign him for cheap. Hamrlik will be traded with whichever goalie they can’t re-sign. I’m still interested in who will be staying and who will be going.

“The NHL was going to test the Stanley Cup for lysteria, but then they realized it hasn’t touch a Maple Leaf product in over 42 years!”

Well you have just seen Bob clean house and rebuild from the ground up. 100% better team than last years floaters. Bob has done the job that he came here to do before he retired.

Great job Bob! we owe you tons for years to come sir.!

7. Mad Habber says:

Actually didnt they pick the Sabres/Bawruins over the Habs?

8. forskis says:

Relax about the CBC…the fact of the matter is that the NHL gave TSN the rights to one first round playoff series involving a Canadian team…the CBC picked Crosby vs. the Sens for their East coast coverage and get the Canucks for their West coast coverage and that leaves the Habs for TSN.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Bettman and the NHL for breaking CBC’s tradition of showing all the Canadian teams in the playoffs.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

9. SLONCOLD says:

just to push your buttons lol JM made this team better

10. forskis says:

But that would mean that Gainey knew what he was doing (for this game at least)…but that can’t be true…Gainey’s players are all too small to compete and they are going to get swept by the Caps in the first round…but that would mean Gainey isn’t “Bobby” or “Bobo”…my head hurts now…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

11. TomNickle says:

Ok Sergio.

12. joeybarrie says:

I must say that i don’t understand the reasoning some have about players playing better depending on which player is in the net… I cannot imagine Ovie woprrying about Theo or Varly in goals. I cannot Imagine having either in the goal doing ANYTHING for a forward player… Just my opinion…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

13. Clay4bc says:

Letting Dandy go was a mistake IMO – can’t believe he wasn’t scooped up right away too. Heart and grit like that is rare.

_________________

Don’t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

14. derfab says:

CBC picking Crosby over the Habs is what really sucks. Shame on the effite bastards. I hope their budgets get slashed to nothing and that they lose whatever decision making power they now have. The Habs paid the bill for the crap they have put on for 50 years.

15. krob1000 says:

In all fairness…..he was that horrible when he first signed with us (defensively). I find it funny now but he could barely skate…he looked like a drunk garden gnome out there. He was falling all over the place, couldn’t hold onto the puck, got drilled every game, was ridiculously out of sync with the game,etc……but then every now and then he would unleash a bomb from the point and score.  Then he got his feet under him …after all he had no training camp but most of us did not see enough of him to have an accurate gauge of what were getting…and the early indications were enough to warrant the criticism…defensively.  He has since proven that he is a great first passer and another puck mover as well as a threat from the point….he can make his own space and we needed that.  Defensively he is still below average to average but as for the total package he offers…I like him on D.. especially at his price…..he would be better camouflaged on a d with more physicality but with our teams makeup offensively at forward a guy like him is needed as our forwards need the puck with speed..he helps big time back there with that.

16. jimmy shaker says:

And a way, way, way cheaper cap hit (then green)…..I say sign him as well!!!

Shaker

17. jimmy shaker says:

I thought the best fit for MAB was on the D, but with JM using 7D, so he wouldn’t get the crazy minutes he’s been getting.  I thought if he was used about 15-17 min, that would be perfect…..even I am surprised at his minutes and his play of late.  I know he’s weak at times in our zone, but he must be working hard at practice because he’s really improved.

Shaker

18. HabFanSince72 says:

I did too, although I don’t post often. Playing him as a forward only decreased his confidence on D.And he really isn’t that bad on D. In fact he made some good defensive plays in the 2nd and 3rd period yesterday. Besides, if we’re going to repeat 1993 we need someone to play the role of Eric Desjardins.

I hope we re-sign MAB next year. Second highest goals per game after Mike Green.

19. TomNickle says:

Giving Bob Gainey any credit for building this team is borderline blasphemy on this site Patty.  If he were judged by this site alone he would be considered a complete failure who did nothing to make this team better when all of the evidence suggests otherwise.  Any success this team has from here forward will be the direct result of Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin and you will be chastised for suggesting otherwise.

20. habs03 says:

Very true but I still think we need some retooling in the summer, but I wanted to point out Gill and JM because they get a lot heat from everyone here.

21. jimmy shaker says:

Last night I was crowned #1 fan of Halak, and today I’m MAB’s #1 fan………that’s some pretty big shoes to fill.   But yes I like what these two guys bring to the table and enjoy watching them both play.  Even though MAB does have his occasional brain cramp if the puck is on his stick a little too long, and does get out muscled sometimes…but overall I thought he was very solid in his 27+ min he and Marky were on the ice.  I just think for what MAB brings and the cheap cap hit he takes:  he is a great fit for this team……Now if you want to talk about #1 fanclub president, then for sure I’m that guy for Mathieu Dandenault….I wish we had this guy on the ice, he’d be way better than Hammer and his 5mill cap hit and Dandy is twice the player at a fraction of the cost……I’ll get that petition going in the summer!

Shaker

22. habs03 says:

Ever time MAB makes a good play Defensively I tihnk of you, your the only guy that kept asking for MAB to be put back on D and I would always call you out on it, your really making me eat my words :)

23. HabFanSince72 says:

In fairness to PJ, he bloodied Dale Hunter in a fight.

24. HabFanSince72 says:

And he STILL wears a mullet.

Having a mullet is like listening to CHOM: a mistake in the 80’s, but a total lack of a clue these days.

25. TomNickle says:

I don’t think I would characterize Bylsma as a better coach than Boudreau but I would rather have Pittsburgh’s blueline than Washington’s any day of the week.  Jordan Staal helps too.

Oh, and Crosby doesn’t take 180 second shifts like Ovechkin does.  That makes playing in May and June a little easier.  If Crosby took a 2 minute shift, I don’t think Bylsma would encourage like Boudreau does however.

26. habs03 says:

Right on with Markov covering for MAB and Spacek for Hamrlik, but what I was trying to say is putting them together who lead giving more mintues to Markov and Spacek, but hey your right don’t fix it if it’s not broken

27. jimmy shaker says:

Spot on there Ronan….Spacek and Hammer have been together all year, they have to stay together.  And I like Marky and MAB together.  Marky pinch’s a lot too, but he knows how to pick his spots better than MAB.

Shaker

28. Ton says:

but it was his team that got the win yesterday. gainey discovered halak, gainey kept halak, gainey hired martin, gainey’s team period!!! . gainey is a winner throughout, stanley cup,player, in montreal, etc. get the facts straight.

29. Ton says:

30. PattyBoy31 says:

How bout Bob Gainey? Most of the guys who stepped up were his criticised signings.

31. joeybarrie says:

Saw McNabb driving a Porsche Panamera last week on the highway here near Virginia. I doubt he will be at the games…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

32. HabsFanInTampa says:

Barry Melrose is such a buffoon! How he still has a job is a mystery. He doesn’t know a$$ about anything, his credibility is nonexistent. When he “coached” the Lightning for those 16 games before he was fired, he further ruined a team that was already in ruins. He wouldn’t give rookie Steve Stamkos any ice time because Doofus Melrose, with all his expertise, stated that “Stamkos wasn’t ready for the NHL”.

33. lavie says:

Penguins no Gill, no win;

Devils no Gionta, no win;

Rangers on Gomez, no playoff;

Ducks no Moen, no playoff;

Flames on Cammi, no playoff.

34. joeybarrie says:

YEAH…….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

35. cautiousoptimist says:

“The series standings say Canadiens 1, Capitals 0. Is this a good time to
    remind our friends at The Hockey News that they picked the Capitals in

I’d say no to both questions — the less noise there is around this series, the less fired up the Caps will be.  And we certainly don’t want to wake up a gamebreaker like Ovechkin.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  36. SeriousFan09 says:

Crosby’s team has the better coach and the only top-ranked defencemen on the Capitals last year was Mike Green and he had a terrible playoff run, Crosby scored his hat trick because Green couldn’t do his job even half-assed. Boudreau isn’t that great of a coach, he plays all offence and wouldn’t know defence if Doug Harvey and Bobby Orr sat on his head, there’s a reason when they do score their 7-goal outings they tend to allow 4 later in the game. Penguins had a much better defence last year in Letang, Orpik, Gonchar, Gill, Scuderi and Eaton compared to Green, Poti, Jurcina, Pothier, Erskine and Morrisonn. Ask anyone in the NHL which D lineup they’d rather have.

Capitals aren’t well-built for a playoff run, everything’s been wagered on offence. Carlson and Alzner their top D prospects aren’t really ready to form roles in the organization yet but they keep getting shifted back in because the organization doesn’t hire any defencemen who actually know defence beyond a couple 3rd-pairing guys. I love watching the Capitals play generally, but it is painful watching them on defence. Boudreau doesn’t know how to organize it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. Ronan G says:

well said!

38. joeybarrie says:

You have to switch…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

39. Le Jadester says:

PJ is a carney !

The 2nd is when the momentum started shifting our way.  Les Boys started to BUZZ ! Anybody with a half a _________ could see that !

Habs, OLE !

40. Ronan G says:

MAB AND HAMRLIK WOULD BE SCARY!! I value your opinion, but those two can’t play together!!!! You have to keep Spacek and Markov on seperate lines.

Spacek is insurance on Hamrlik when he makes those Hamrlik giveaways.

And Markov is insurance on MAB when he pinches in like a donkey and gives up the odd man rush.

JM has it right, let’s hope he doesn’t change anything coming off a W!

41. Ronan G says:

Ovechkin has the better team. Crosby is just a winner. Plain and simple. This Pittsburgh squad has a lot of gleeming holes in the roster but they somehow keep winning. Good Chemistry? Good Leadership? Great coaching? Ovechkin has a sick roster to play with….