TGIFF

Mario Tremblay will supplement his RDS gig with daily appearances on a new CKAC radio show.

Mario Langlois will be host of Du hockey, on en mange, weekdays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tremblay’s segment will run from noon to 12:30.

He’ll also join the supporting cast on Les amateurs de sports, Michel Villeneuve’s afternoon-drive show.

• Patrick V. Hickey has some thoughts on Tremblay

Andrei Markov should be captain, Saku Koivu tells La Presse’s Richard Labbé

* This is going to be so much fun to read: the brilliant Down Goes Brown has a column in the National Post

Blake Wheeler signing pushes Bruins over the capnew

Ian White for $5 less than $3 million? Wow!

Today’s fan video (warning: Chick flick)

UThZQQlLEkQ

• A good man leaves the hockey beat. Tarik El-Bashir of the Washington Post will be doing other stuff. He Tweets: Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was time to try something different. More important, it was time to have time to be a full-time dad.

• Michael Whitehouse on Canadiens playoff goaltending performances

Andrew Ladd gets $2.35 million

• Another Q guy who got away: Jason Demers, two years for $2.5 million in San Jose

Updated FA list

Hawks tickets up 20 per cent … even before the Niemi decision

• SI’s Jim Kelley on the NHL’s Summer of Discontent

• Scott Burnside: Five Centres to Watch

Could Kaberle be staying put?

European Hockey for Dummies (thanks, nightmare_49)

1. Storm Man says:

Ask him your standing right next to him :)

2. habs03 says:

What is the difference between him signing now and aug 30th for example?

3. ed lopaz says:

Philly destroyed us in the blue paint. they scored almost all of their goals by crashing the net.

Halak’s BIGGEST WEAKNESS – is that he is too nice, too soft, and he was unwilling to stick a forward in the back of the leg where they would have felt it.

regardless of new rules, habs could not clear the crease vs philly.

they lost the series in “the trenches”.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

4. SLONCOLD says:

uhm halak was your number one and that’s why he got the games. do u bench cammy the next game if he doesn’t score a goal or move him to the fourth line? JM was trying to win games and halak was the better of the 2 this year so he went with halak. what’s hard to understand about that?

by the way niemi wasn’t benched when he gave up 5 goals a few times in favor of huet.

5. TomNickle says:

All I’m doing is showing people who claim Jaro Halak’s playoff performance to be the best they’ve ever seen a performance(Giguere’s) that was head and shoulders better.

You want me to pat Jaro Halak on the head and say good job, I’ll do it.  I’ll kindly thank him for playing outstanding in elimination games against the Capitals and Penguins.

I will not call his post-season the best I’ve ever seen and will try to show people who believe it to be that there have been several performances in the last decade alone that have been better.

6. TomNickle says:

I don’t disagree one bit Ed.

Price probably should have started game 2 or game 3 of the Philadelphia series.

Obviously we won game 3 and hindsight is 20/20 but your point is valid.

If nothing else Jaro Halak might have needed a break like he did against Washington.

7. Chuck says:

Not only was that a stunning series performance, but it was CONSISTENTLY stunning. All four games. Jaro had three great games in a row, but showed chinks in his armour early in the series. Giguere was the true definition of a wall.

8. matraque says:

Did Carey signed yet?

Man i’m getting impatient… we lost our no 1 and now Carey is not signing… WTF?

——

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

9. TomNickle says:

Come on.  Have you seen Jaro Halak, or any other goaltender without their equipment on?

They essentially deflate.  Giguere had no more of an advantage in 02-03 than any other goaltender in the league.

10. SLONCOLD says:

tom, why can’t fans be happy with what they saw from halak during the playoffs. it was fun to be excited with his play. like you mentioned before in previous posts with halak, he didn’t do the goal scoring and shot blocking… same logic should be applied to gigy’s performance as well. he was one member of team that helped the team win

11. ed lopaz says:

I am still troubled by the unwillingness of Martin to play Price when Halak had his bad moments.

For example, didn’t we lose the first game to Philly 6-0??

Why wouldn’t Martin show some confidence in Price?

Its Martin who has DIMINISHED the reputation of Price.

Its the perception that Price had become a back up to Halak, by only playing a few games down the stretch and 1/19 starts in the playoffs.

Its this that has created the turmoil around Price.

This is what Gainey was trying to avoid the previous season by playing price all 4 games vs Boston.

Gainey knew 2 seasons ago that Price needed to be kept in the net; to develop, and to sustain his confidence.

Martin through all of that out the window.

Now Price is left to pick up the pieces while the f-heads in the rafters boo him.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

It would appear that the never ending Halk-Price debate will never cease to bring thousands of hits to the H I/O site.  If this keeps up all summer, Mike Boone’s Gazette bonus is going to be on a par with Taylor Hall’s.

13. Chuck says:

Problem is, even the author admits that the stats are incomplete, and
    that he can’t measure performances back as far as he’d like. The other
    problem is that it’s completely subjective; the numbers used to
    tabulate are accurate (shots, saves, etc.), but the weighting system is completely
    arbitrary. He could have used any number of weighting systems in order
    to influence the outcome… which is in fact what he did, considering that he used a different method from his first chart to come up with a completely different result.

14. SLONCOLD says:

Gigy was create that year but boy i remember his equipment being soooo huge. that chest pad of his was massive

15. mike g says:

Not to mention Giguere’s crease was full of crashers…

Alot of people tend to forget how difficult it was for goaltenders 5+ years ago, before the NHL implemented stricter rules on interference. Big, strong forwards like Holmstrom in his prime used to just go park their behinds infront of the net and take a beating. The defenseman would cross-check, punch, and do everything to try get them to move, but it wouldn’t work.

Goaltenders had alot more “dirty” saves to make, and they were interfered with alot more than the goalies today. I still think that if the rules would be the same, someone like Niemi wouldn’t have won the Cup this year. He’s terrible on rebounds, and back then rebounds were what the net crashers looked for and fed off of.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

16. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Sorry, I didn’t mean ridiculous as in “too much”. I think White is a good defenseman, it’s a pretty fair contract. It’s just the 3,000,000 – 5 part that I find ridiculous. I can just picture Sutter discussing it in his office.

“No WAY am I giving that clown 3 million dollars! (cough) Knock a fiver off there and sign it.”

17. TomNickle says:

Giguere swept the 02-03 Red Wings on the heels of a game 1, triple overtime, 63 save performance.

That team’s roster included…..

Sergei Federov, Brett Hull, Brendan Shanahan, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Igor Larionov, Tomas Holmstrom, Luc Robataille, Steve Yzerman, Nicklas Lidstrom, Chris Chelios, Mathieu Schneider and Jiri Fischer.

Giguere held the Red Wings to 5 goals in 4 games.

And swept them.

If you think Halak’s performance against the Capitals even sniffs Giguere’s against the Wings, I feel sorry for you.

18. PrimeTime says:

Your point is well taken….especially your arguement posted below @ 9:25. However, fans such as Clay and others of his camp will never accept it and will continue to counter based the perspective he provides. I agree with you, the only way Price (IF he re-signs) can build fan support to is to win. Unfortunately, this pressure makes it that much more difficult for him to succeed. He doesn’t have a clean slate and has zero “benefit of the doubt” credability whether that is valid or not. In 29 of the 30 NHL cities, the goalie is just part of the team but in MTL the position it the center piece of the team like it or not. Price has a steep hill to climb but it starts with the TEAM winning games. In the end, if I’m his advisor, I’m telling him to get the heck out of Dodge and enjoy your professional career elsewhere as soon as you can which is why I believe he is quietly holding out and requesting a trade. Lebron slipped out of the pressure and I think Price will try to do the same (in no way am I comparing the 2 athletes to each other…….just the pressure put on them by the fans in a no win situation).

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

19. habs03 says:

White is a good D-man, 2.5 would have been more reasonable but I wouldn’t call it “ridiculous”.

20. TomNickle says:

Actually Ed I’m suggesting the contrary.  I see plenty of posts from people saying they’ve never seen a better playoff performance than Halak’s this post-season.

It’s funny considering what Giguere did merely seven years ago.

Also funny considering performances from the likes of Brodeur, Roy, Turco, Osgood, Hasek, Joseph and a few others.

Halak’s post-season had it’s ups and downs.  Certainly not worthy of being called one of the all-time best.

21. habs03 says:

Halak was amazing but he had a few off games, what Halak did in game 6 Vs. the Caps, Giguere did night in night out, that Ducks Vs Wings first round was amazing. I still remember that Stevens hit on Karyia in the finals like it was yesterday.

22. Mattyleg says:

Ha! Great line, Hickey: “Montreal already has a surplus on unemployed coaches who have found new
    careers second-guessing guys who have gainful employment.”

Precisely why I hate Mike Milbury in particular on HNIC. A proven flop at so many levels, and his “opinion” counts?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

No way was Darryl Sutter going to pay Ian White 3 million/yr.

Ha! That is amazing! What a ridiculous contract.

24. ed lopaz says:

Tom, what is your point in this post.

Giguere won a Stanley Cup in Anaheim.

he has had a successful career, and is now in his mid 30’s.

Are you saying that Giguere did not have a good career?

Are you suggesting that halak should be compared to Giguere?

I’m not sure what you are saying here.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

25. Clay4bc says:

“If you’re of the opinion that Halak’s playoff performance was the best you’ve ever seen….”

Love the melodrama!

I said it was the best single series performance I have ever seen (against the Caps). Whitehous’s stats back it up. I stand by my statement…

__________________________

Carey Price killed my dog.

26. RGM says:

He’s been here for longer than the majority of the team, so he’s got seniority over a lot of other rumoured candidates – the only one that is a serious candidate that he can’t pull rank on is Markov. A simple extension takes care of the contract status (I don’t think he’ll get as much as Eric Engels speculated the other day, but it’ll be a nice raise), but I do see your point there. Youth is clearly not an issue when it comes to assigning the C in the NHL anymore – look at Toews and Sid and how old they were when they got their letter.

It’s going to be a fun discussion in the coming weeks – certainly doesn’t have the ugliness to it that the Price-bashers bring to the table when they set him, and by proxy the team, up for failure.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

27. nightmare_49 says:

In business, Blackhawks Colors are more Red than Black / Chicago Tribune/Business

The Blackhawks ended their season with capacity attendance and record merchandise sales, television ratings and sponsorship revenues, and the Stanley Cup.

But financially the team was a loser.

(No way was Darryl Sutter going to pay Ian White 3 million/yr.)

via NHLPA tweet,

Ian White settles with #Flames on 1-year $2,999,995M contract prior to arbitration hearing.

28. RiverviewCanadien says:

Sorry RGM, I like Gorges and I have said in the past he could be Captain material. I think because he is still not signed past this season (and is still young on the team, both in age and seniority), that will have a factor on it.

By no means was I trying to take anything away from Gorgie…he is another one of our iron-men. One of the best acquisitions Habs have made.

29. TomNickle says:

Jean Sebastien Giguere posted the following statistics during the 02-03 playoffs with Anaheim……

GP     W     L     GAA     SV%     SO

21     15    6     1.62    .945      5

If you’re of the opinion that Halak’s playoff performance was the best you’ve ever seen.  You weren’t watching in 02-03(understandable since they played a lot on the West Coast).

It was pre-lockout but Giguere had to go up against Detroit and Dallas in the first two rounds and they were the class of the West.  He also saw 33 shots per game, which in the pre-lockout period was probably the equivalent to what 40+ shots per game is now.

I remember the Ducks played the Stars in a game that went at least three overtime periods where Giguere was peppered.  That game, in my mind was far and away better than any of Halak’s performances this post-season.

The thing to consider about Giguere’s run is not only that he took a #7 seed to the Finals and within one game of winning the Stanley Cup but that he almost single handedly swept the Red Wings and Wild and kept his team in games long enough against the Stars to win in 6 games.

30. RGM says:

*ahem* What about the guy below?

—————————————–

Josh Gorges for Captain!

31. Curtoph says:

Well put, I also believe who ever is made Captain is going to be Captain for the right reasons, and will be able to lead the team to good things, the team knows how the team works inside and out and therefore they know better than us who it will be.

I just wonder, if they have already picked 100% who the captain will be?

32. RiverviewCanadien says:

My thought on the potential Captain and reasons:

Gionta – hockey smart, size does not matter with him, very effective and a good role model for the young guys. He knows what has to be done night-in and night-out.
    Markov – he is Markov, nuff said. Hab for life? (I hope so)
    Pleks – I always hear about how he talks to the guys on the bench and gets them going, has been a Hab his entire career and is well spoken. Plays the roles the coach and team needs him to. He seems to love this sport and this team. He is the Habs iron man.
    Gill – big, tall, wore the A all season, seems to be the glue amongst the players.

As a fan, we have no idea what really goes on behind closed doors, we see the on-ice product which does speak volumes, but does not give the entire picture. Anyways those are my top candidates, but whoever it is, I know it will be the best fit, that is why they waited a full season with all the new faces. I never mentioned Camms, not because I can’t see him filling, I just don’t see him filling that role. He has a good media presence and is a fan fav, but I like how things were last year with him, scoring goals.

I am so looking forward to this season, I love this team, I love the moves the club has done.

33. Nina76 says:

bob……………I agree with your post very good right to the point………….some of the habs fans [which I doubt] will smash some of these players into the ground before they have even played they seem to think that they know how they are going to play……………….back off guys you are NUTS you will never have anyone better than Sakuo miss him & all he has been through & given to the people in MLT……………But take it for granted guys see if you will find another one like him …….       ……………NOT. I also am tired of the rubbish that is posted by some people on here tired of bashing players before they play leave Price alone see what he can do.If you think that he is going to stay with us you are dreaming after this year my opion is that he will be gone where he is apreaciated then what in heaven’s name have you got………………………………just alot more bitching…..GO HABS GO!!!!!!

34. RGM says:

Thank you for proving my point.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

35. RGM says:

I wholeheartedly agree that there has been a steady decline in the respect factor at this website, and it has been increasing in speed since about January. I simply stopped posting for about 4 months because of the negativity, the personal attacks, and the folks like Timo winning the day over the numerous good and decent posters here. There is a way to disagree with a person without being disagreeable, and it’s unfortunate that the art of it is lost on so many people who are all ostensibly here to share their passion for their common favourite team.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

36. ZepFan2 says:

Not really. Kind of a bust. lol

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

37. K-hab25 says:

Perfectly played sir.

38. TommyB says:

Thanks for that update on one of my favorite coaches, all-time.  It’s still sad how the HOF dropped the ball on this one.

39. Chorske says:

So it’s OK to talk about the love child thing? Cos that is shite is GOLD.

I don’t feel bad at all for Tremblay. Because here is the thing- he is part of the crew that took their warrior status, and used it to crap on those that they deemed- for whatever reason- to be unworthy of wearing the Habs jersey. To mix a bunch of metaphors: when you’ve spent your life being celebrated for being a hammer, you start thinking that the fine chisels don’t even deserve to be called tools. He had this notion that all that matters is “heart”, point, a la ligne. I have a long memory, I can nurse a grudge with the best of them, and as far as I am concerned, we have yet to dig ourselves out of the hole Tremblay dug us into.

Love child. Love it.

40. Aerobiz says:

On the subject of fan videos:

Bugs, there’s no denying the awesome cool of Batman: Dead End. Nicely done.

If you haven’t yet you should check out Grayson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiZuvJ48MZ0

A couple of miss-steps, but filled with ambition and understanding of his subject matter.

(sigh) I miss hockey.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

41. habs03 says:

Sorry for the rant, and I won’t be suprised if my post gets deleted by HI/O. I’ve been a memember since this site began almost 3 years ago. When the site started they were many of us that disagreed with one another but there were a certian level of respect and unity between one another that made this site fun to come to. I think ever since the Halak/Price debate this site has become a place where if you post something and one person doesn’t agree, get ready for a negitive reply. I find myself going to another board more and more recently(hfboards), as opposed to HI/O. Again sorry for the rant, this is not inteded at anyone, but just my general feeling, and I’m just trying to figure out the reasoning for it, is it the Price/Halak thing, is it the Team lack of success…

42. ZepFan2 says:

Thick heads need refreshers.

So, you want that vowel?

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

43. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Was that ever confirmed?  I remember the rumour, but can’t remember if it was definitely true or not.  That being said, I’m sure the situation is different now.  Or maybe not, it is a rather high-profile job for a guy who seems more comfortable keeping to himself.

44. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I definitely don’t want him testing the market.  I just figure that being captain would give him another bargaining tool, and management mightn’t want to hand him anymore leverage than he has already got.  It’s more of a question of how much influence the business has on the hockey.

45. SLONCOLD says:

goalies don’t hit people lol

46. Bill says:

I doubt that the people taking the time to wait on the phone on call-in shows are the sort of casual, never-watched-until-game-7 fans. I know for a fact that the great majority of the people posting here who disagree with the Halak trade are far from the kind of fan you describe. They just disagree with it. But therefore, “they know crap?”

Full Breezer 4 Life

47. ooder says:

in the ohl?

but has he done anything in the NHL

——————

88 is the new 23

48. avatar_58 says:

Lookit pal – if you are suggesting Marky’s going to test the market I may have to break one of your legs. If you actually believe they would him go, I may have to break them both.

Course given Halak who knows….

49. yathehabsrule says:

A little bit of news on Pat Burns.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

50. Chorske says:

Your MOMMAS a monkey. (actually, all of our mommas were monkeys)

Yet, I agree. And I feel bad for Eller getting caught in the crossfire- because as you point out, if the kid fails to sparkle immediately (there is no point pretending Habs fans have the necessary patience to wait and see how this kid pans out in 3-5 years), he’ll just be more cannon fodder for the crew who think PG/JM/BG/CP can’t do anything right. Like Gui! before him, he is perhaps being set up to fail? The one thing that saves him is his age- he’s coming in at 21, with (hopefully) more maturity. And his skill set. And his status as a large centre in a town that has been whining for one like a hungry, tired baby.

51. ooder says:

actually managment did approach him, he did not feel comfortable at that time to be captain…

especially with all of the new faces that came in

——————

88 is the new 23

52. Storm Man says:

I LOL at you please find me a post where Im demeaning what he did in the playoffs. If you toss a person a slice of pizza that has not had pizza in 17 years he is going to think he is eating the best pizza ever. Baaaa haaaaa

53. JD_ says:
    * In the Koivu piece, Saku notes that former Hab vets have either been booed or really well-received on their initial return to the Bell Centre and that he really doesn’t know what to expect. That Saku, what a kidder.

* Still of the firm belief Niemi’s toast in Chicago. Pig, lipstick, ‘n’ all that. And it’s too much of a buyer’s market.

* From Pat Hickey’s piece on Tremblay: “…while his [Tremblay's] level of incompetence has been exaggerated…” Now, if by exaggerated, Hickey means well-documented, then me ‘n’ the Patser are totally on the same page. I really don’t give a shiznat what the boy accomplished hidin’ behind Lemaire’s pantaloons.

* As a Hab, Mario was as honourable a warrior as they come and I loved his win-or-die intensity. Ronald Corey demolished both Tremblay’s and Houle’s reputations by offerin’ them jobs for which they were wholly unqualified. Gross incompetence. Peanut and Le Bleuet Bionique, passionate as they were about the bleu-blanc-rouge, could not realistically be expected to turn down offers that they rightfully should have turned down. All these years later, I still sincerely feel bad for the two of them and wish things could have been different. In the intervening years, Houle’s done an amazin’ job reinventin’ himself and has a ton of responsibilities with the Habs org. Guess it’s Mario’s turn to come home.

* Can’t, however, say I feel Corey’s pain. Except, of course, for the fact one of HI/O’s frequent contributors is Mme. Corey’s and Chris Chelios’ love-child.

* Carey Price hasn’t signed. In other news, goin’ to chow down on some good ol’ fashioned paprikas csirke tomorrow night at the mumsters, courtesy of my aged aunt. Unlike me, she doesn’t use baking powder when preparin’ her nokedli. Not sure if there’ll be cucumber salad on the side.

* This just in: Cadbury Adams, manufacturer of Dentyne® chewing gum, is rumoured to be takin’ out full-page ads in this weekend’s Montreal newspapers. Goin’ to be in the open-letter style of those Maple Leaf Foods and Toyota mea culpas, except that the message will be somethin’ along the lines of “Cadbury Adams, the manufacturer of Dentyne® and other popular global confectionery brands, wishes to reassure RDS viewers that the we have absolutely nothing, we repeat, absolutely nothing to do with that white glob Mario Tremblay is chawin’ on while on air, you know, the one you can even hear him smackin’ away at while he’s off-camera. We really don’t know what that disgusting shizzy is *cough*Juicy Fruit*cough*, so please don’t hold it against us.”
  54. G-Man says:

First decent goalie playoff performance for the Habs in 17 seasons and all you try to do is demean it. Pfffffttt!