Mario Tremblay will supplement his RDS gig with daily appearances on a new CKAC radio show.

Mario Langlois will be host of Du hockey, on en mange, weekdays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tremblay’s segment will run from noon to 12:30.

He’ll also join the supporting cast on Les amateurs de sports, Michel Villeneuve’s afternoon-drive show.

• Patrick V. Hickey has some thoughts on Tremblay

Andrei Markov should be captain, Saku Koivu tells La Presse’s Richard Labbé

* This is going to be so much fun to read: the brilliant Down Goes Brown has a column in the National Post

Blake Wheeler signing pushes Bruins over the capnew

Ian White for $5 less than $3 million? Wow!

Today’s fan video (warning: Chick flick)

• A good man leaves the hockey beat. Tarik El-Bashir of the Washington Post will be doing other stuff. He Tweets: Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was time to try something different. More important, it was time to have time to be a full-time dad.

• Michael Whitehouse on Canadiens playoff goaltending performances

Andrew Ladd gets $2.35 million

• Another Q guy who got away: Jason Demers, two years for $2.5 million in San Jose

Updated FA list

Hawks tickets up 20 per cent … even before the Niemi decision

• SI’s Jim Kelley on the NHL’s Summer of Discontent

• Scott Burnside: Five Centres to Watch

Could Kaberle be staying put?

European Hockey for Dummies (thanks, nightmare_49)

1. avatar_58 says:

I have no idea. I had fully expected to read “Price traded to ****** for ******* and a ******* round pick” this off season. When my boss said Halak was traded with a smile (leaf fan) I laughed and said “haha, really funny.”.

Much like the Huet trade I refused to actually believe it was anything more than a leaf fan trying to play with me. Much like the Huet trade it turned out to be true and I wished I was dreaming.

2. Bugs says:

“Obvious proper move”??? Looked through the rest of your post for to explain WHY it was the “obvious proper move” but nothing was found.

The best part however is your SUPPORTING argument that says: because you feel that trading our winning-consistently-for-four-years-and-single-handedly-securing-a-spot-in-the-playoffs-for-two-years-and-possibly-a-third-had-Huey-not-played-that-game-against-the-leafers-and-being-a-Conn-Smythe-trophy-candidate-during-the-2010-playoffs num1 goalie was a terible, terrible mistake, THAT MEANS you will boo Price, Gomie, Gio, Gill, PK, and Poolio, and Mother Goose, and sick kids, and God.

That’s what that means. If you think losing Halak was bad, you’re a booer. Plain and simple. You got it? Good!

I love it!

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory:

3. habrez says:

I wonder if both AK46 and Frolov struggle to start the year how long before Eklund predicts a swap.

4. mike g says:

A real fan will always see a positive in a negative situation. When you see a guy like Pouliot struggle, don’t boo him.

When you see Price, a 22 year old goaltender of the Montreal Canadiens that’s trying to find his game in the NHL, don’t boo him.

When Eller goes through his struggles next year, don’t call the radio stations the first chance you get in order to bash him and say we should have kept Halak because Eller is useless…

There are so many examples I can use. This city and fans are lost, they don’t know what they want. The hype for Price was insane, he came here and played very well in his 1st year, then he struggled abit so everyone threw him under the bus at 21 years old. Seriously?, that’s pathetic. Sergei came here as a 50 goal scorer in the OHL, big hype and hopes for him, but after 3 years he’s shipped out of town. Everyone hated him lately, but then the day he’s traded the “fans” ask themselves why we got rid of such a talented player, why he couldn’t work here, and why we only got Boyd.

The fans don’t know what they want. When Kovy left, this city was in shock, who was gonna replace him? The fans did a parade and protested. Now, Cammy took that love from the fans, and we don’t want Kovy anymore. But, we still flooded the media with that and hated Bob Gainey for it. But why doesn’t anyone love BG for getting Cammy? Sounds very strange, doesn’t it?….

We label players as something, and then don’t change our minds. We labelled Koivu as a selfish person who used the Habs to get rich since he didn’t wanna learn french. That’s sad, considering he donated millions to Quebec hospitals to help the sick kids live since the Gov’t wasn’t buying the necessary equipment.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

5. ZepFan2 says:

Losing record?

134 GP – 60 W – 48 L

How is that a losing record?

– Steven Tyler

6. j2w4habs25 says:

10, there is 1 real fan? probably ,more like

For every 10, there is 7 real fans…

7. smiler2729 says:

I liked Halak but I started disliking him more and more not because of him but rather the “fans” who elevated him to godlike status when in essence, and it will be apparent this season, he is an overrated goalie.

8. ooder says:

man this goalie argument is starting to get so annoying.

it’s no secret I like Halak as a goalie and I think that even with the adversity he faced he did a very good job.

however, there is no point in having 2 great goalies since 1 always sits on the bench.

Price is the canadiens guy.. that’s it… let’s roll with it and cheer for him and the team.

guess what, favorite players get traded or leave.. it happens.. gilmour left toronto, Linden left vancouver etc etc

however, can we stop putting halak down as well to prove a point.

I mean I read here that halak really wans’t that good these playoffs, i mean cooommmon lets stop twisting facts

if it wasn’t for his awesoem play we don’t even sniff the second round or the third.

Oh sure the blocking shots helped, but still… i thinks ome of you guys forget how monstrous halak was when it came to crunch time.

88 is the new 23

9. HabFanSince72 says:

I’ve been a staunch, though hopefully good-natured, opponent of the Jaro Kool-Aid drinkers. My view was: good goalie, but it was him or Price, and since he is the one who forced the issue, and his trade value was sky-high, it was probably  right to trade him – and this Eller kid looks pretty good.

But lately I’ve been thinking. Maybe we should have kept him. He had roughly  the same save % as Ryan Miller last season (.924, 4th in the league). His playoff run was phenomenal. He carried that same  save % throughtout the playoffs against the two most offensively explosive teams in the league.  He’s young and would have only cost $3M.

10. habs03 says:

“For every 10 Habs “fans”, there is 1 real fan”, you nailed it right there, some people who think Halak is god like are ones that watch th Habs during playoff time only.

11. habs03 says:

12. j2w4habs25 says:

I totally agree about how people say this is the best hockey fanbased in the Hockey world aha that is just funny if there is people that really think that. I wish we can be but it will be many years if that were to happen. Maybe Team Canada fans are the best I would think.

But the way we boo our players, the way support them when their losing is just insane..

like you said buddie, I cant wait till Price and Eller get booed because they arent Halak.

13. aemarchand11 says:

I think people should be thankfull there is a team in montreal and that it has such a great history. But along with that great history is also a reputation of having rediculous expectation from unreasonable fans.

Went to the OTT-MTL game right after Markov and Scheider went down with injury in 2009, right before the playoffs. Halak was in nets at the time, but the team looked lost. They did just lose both of their offensive defencemen in one game. They blew a lead and Heatley scored two goals in the 3rd peiord, well WOW is all I can say the fans booed the habs right out of the arena, not taking into account the situation the team was in.

I was shocked, and wanted to throwdown with the people around me for being rediculous. Mind you the entire game they were dicussing how Vinny was coming home. That really worked out eh?

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

It is listed on the Summit page with all the information . READ IT CAREFULLY

Click here–Summit Game Tickets—Send Money Order to Reserve Them

The  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

15. G-Man says:

Tooooo sarcastic. lol

16. G-Man says:

So, mindless “real fans” are the only ones allowed to express an opinion? lol.

Blind faith, Habs pennant- waving fanatics with no judgment only, please.

Development is for the minors. Habs should have players, not projects.

17. Chuck says:

Uh… that’s the joke.

18. j2w4habs25 says:

good post.

19. ZepFan2 says:

I liked the idea of Cammi wearing the C. But the more I think about it, I agree that it’s probably better he just stick to putting the puck in the net and be a leader on the ice.

Like here:  Cammalleri OT goal vs Rangers

Mike cammalleri overtime goal vs rangers

Gionta seems more adept at doing both.

– Steven Tyler

20. Curtoph says:

Skippidy doo-daa

21. HabsFanInTampa says:

Mattyleg: You’re so right on about Mike Milbury. I have the exact same feeling about Barry Melrose.

How many do you need? Send your money order with all the requested information and you won’t be disapointed.

click here–Summit Game Tickets—Send Money Order to Reserve Them

23. Khabo says:

Hi Ian

I lost your address since last year.  can you send it to me so i can send you the money order for 2

24. mike g says:

During last season, I tried to talk like you on this site….

The result was a backlash of “insulted fans”. They hosed me, and said I was crazy. People replied to my post saying we have the best fans, we just demand the best, were the most knowledgeable fans, etc…

It’s all bs. I said that for every 10 Habs “fans”, there is 1 real fan. The rest believe everything they hear on the radio, read in the papers, and all the rest of the crap that goes around. They then repeat it all day long, and act like they know something about hockey.

It’s very sad to say it, but most of the Habs’ fanbase is illogical, one-dimensional, and delusional. As a die hard fan myself, it hurts to admitt it.

I just can’t wait till Price and Eller get booed because they aren’t Halak. That’s one heck of a way to encourage our team and help the young guys develop, eh?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

25. Howie55 says:

Good post. I agree 100%

Pour moi, Saku c’est un champion qui n’a pas encore gagné. Il joue comme un champion, il s’entraîne comme un champion, il mange comme un champion. Un jour, il le deviendra

26. G-Man says:

This won’t stop because there’s nothing else going on until the mid-August camps in Brossard.

Telling Halak fans to cheer for the Blues is just arrogant. Fans of the Habs can hold any opinion they want and this is the site to put it on-line. Don’t like the pro-Halak anti-Price debate or vice-versa? Skip the post.

27. joeybarrie says:

I am finding it hard to find the right word or feeling i have based on the multiple posts STILL mentioning us losing our NUMBER ONE. Not even as much as when we lost Huet.

I can’t figure out if it’s sad, pathetic, stupid, ridiculous, antagonistic, or annoying.

Not sure if I am shocked people STILL can’t accept an obvious proper move. But I guess i’m hoping for too much in this city.

I wonder if anyone understands that by doing these things we actually hurt our own team. Or if anyone actually cares. I guess because of previous success then ANYONE can tell us what we have to do to win. And that they are of course right, despite their absolute lack of experience in professional hockey.

First step to the Stanley Cup will be to BOO Price on his first mistake. I have to say as much as I WANT us to win the cup, Sometimes the people in this city DO NOT DESERVE IT.

We are far from the best fans in Hockey. We are the loudest, and the best when we are winning. It always makes me laugh when people say I will not apologize for expecting a winning team. But can they apologize for being an idiot?

So I say we start to really pester our players we are unhappy with.

Lets BOO Gomez because someone else over paid him.

Lets BOO Price because he is young and people believe Halak’s one year of more success makes him the better goalie.

Let’s BOO Gionta because he isnt taller

Let’s BOO Gill because he isnt faster

Let’s BOO PK when he makes a rookie mistake

Let’s BOO Pouliot if he goes a few games without scoring.

ON AND ON.  We are pretty BAD fans when you think about it.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

28. fuhgawz says:

Ian how many $160 tickets are available?

29. G-Man says:

Problem is that your avatar is of a “retired” jersey with Price’s number on it. Gimme a break. No goalie with a losing record gets his sweater # retired.

30. ed lopaz says:

the 5 elimination games – with our backs to the wall – and NO ONE expecting us to win – Halak’s .960 save percentage was truly amazing in those 5 games.

that is what should be remembered about the ’09/10 playoffs.

those 5 elimination games that staved off elimination against Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

2010 HIO Fan Summit Itinerary Nov. 5th and 6th in Montreal.

Book your room at this # and tell them you are with Habs Inside Out Group or HIO to get the deal rate everyone.

The  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

Nov. 5th, We are watching the Habs vs  Sabers game at Hurley’s Pub
    1225 Crescent St.  on big screen around 6pm. Name tags will be given out.

Sat. morning, Breakfast will be at Chez Coras 1240 Drummond St. at 8:30am

Sat. at 10;30 Bell Center tour and Habs Hall of Fame tour.

at 2:45 Pregame meal and The Children’s Foundation Raffle at The Baton
    Rouge Rest. 1050 Mountain St. Don’t forget to bring along something to
    contribute to the raffle please.

Across the street at 7pm our Habs take on the Ottawa Senator’s

game celebration. We have the second floor of Hurley’s Pub reserved for
    us. A password will be given to you at the pregame meal to by pass any
    line up and entry to our HIO celebration room.

Sunday farewell breakfast to be announced.

See you all in Montreal,!!

1st Door Prise Winner

First SUMMIT ticket reserved for James David (JD) received your money order and your personal info just now.

click here-Summit Game Tickets—Send Money Order to Reserve Them

33. ed lopaz says:

after we lost game 1 vs philly 6-0, even though I was a huge halak fan, I would have gone to price for game 2.

we needed a bigger and more physical presence vs philly.

philly charged the net and played very physical in the blue paint.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

34. G-Man says:

Giggy has always cheated to the best of his abilities with his over-sized lacrosse outfit. If there was a way to make his mask as wide as the top of the net, he would wear one. Still, he did win a cup.

And no matter what stats you can pull out, Halak helped the Habs have a great run last playoffs, while CP didn’t. There is no goalie debate. Halak is better. Habs kept the other 1. Cheaper cap hit. If it isn’t a $2 mil cap hit or less, Goatier will be looking like a real idiot.

35. fuhgawz says:

I come on HIO once in a blue moon during the summer to see what everyone is talking about the funny thing is it seems like its mid season and the goaile debate is on fire.  I can believe it.

Jaro is gone Carey is in — If your a fan of Jaro go cheer for the Blues If your a fan of the Montreal Canadiens then shut up and cheer for who we got its a TEAM game alway was always will be.

Hope everyone is enjoying thier summer anyway

As for Captain all i know is who ever wears the C will do it with pride so that is all i can ask for

36. nightmare_49 says:

One time Flame Eric Nystrom on what it was growing up on Long Island as the son of the great Bob Nystrom / by Brendan Manley/Syossott Patch

For Syosset native-turned NHL vet, there’s still no place like home.

Nystrom Just Can’t Get A Decent Bagel In Minnesota

Eric being drafted 10th overall by the Calgary Flames in 2002. The selection was yet another feather in the cap for LI hockey, which in addition to 1998 draftee and fellow Syosset native Rob Scuderi (now with the L.A. Kings), produced other top talents like Chris Higgins (Florida) and Mike Komisarek (Toronto) during the same period. (Higgins was also drafted in 2002, 14th overall; Komisarek was picked seventh overall in 2001.) All three players came up together and remain friends to this day.

37. Mark C says:

That didn’t take long…B’s agree to terms with Wheeler’s award.

38. punkster says:

Loved your Bower/Sawchuk comment earlier Steve. I was 15 at the time and idolized Keon but the magic those two goalies brought to that Cup run was amazing. This is one of the reasons I could never get to hyped up on the Habs Goalie Controversy. They couldn’t hold a candle to that 60s tandem.

39. mike g says:

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

40. habs03 says:

lol, I’m also sorry, I didn’t see that your comments were a reply to the post above :). I like Ian White because he reminds me a lot of Bullion expect White has a better all around game, both are small but the size of their hearts makes up for it. I’ll never forget Bullion lay out Ovie two years ago.

41. Storm Man says:

You know what the difference is, When Price signs all the boo birds can come on here and say that is too much money and WTF is with the term and all this for a 4-11 goaltender ect ect ect.

42. ed lopaz says:

why be upset?

Gauthier is fine with it.

Price seems fine with it.

The 2 of them are enjoying their summers.

So should we.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

43. Storm Man says:

Ask him your standing right next to him 🙂

44. habs03 says:

What is the difference between him signing now and aug 30th for example?

45. ed lopaz says:

Philly destroyed us in the blue paint. they scored almost all of their goals by crashing the net.

Halak’s BIGGEST WEAKNESS – is that he is too nice, too soft, and he was unwilling to stick a forward in the back of the leg where they would have felt it.

regardless of new rules, habs could not clear the crease vs philly.

they lost the series in “the trenches”.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

46. SLONCOLD says:

uhm halak was your number one and that’s why he got the games. do u bench cammy the next game if he doesn’t score a goal or move him to the fourth line? JM was trying to win games and halak was the better of the 2 this year so he went with halak. what’s hard to understand about that?

by the way niemi wasn’t benched when he gave up 5 goals a few times in favor of huet.

47. TomNickle says:

All I’m doing is showing people who claim Jaro Halak’s playoff performance to be the best they’ve ever seen a performance(Giguere’s) that was head and shoulders better.

You want me to pat Jaro Halak on the head and say good job, I’ll do it.  I’ll kindly thank him for playing outstanding in elimination games against the Capitals and Penguins.

I will not call his post-season the best I’ve ever seen and will try to show people who believe it to be that there have been several performances in the last decade alone that have been better.

48. TomNickle says:

I don’t disagree one bit Ed.

Price probably should have started game 2 or game 3 of the Philadelphia series.

Obviously we won game 3 and hindsight is 20/20 but your point is valid.

If nothing else Jaro Halak might have needed a break like he did against Washington.

49. Chuck says:

Not only was that a stunning series performance, but it was CONSISTENTLY stunning. All four games. Jaro had three great games in a row, but showed chinks in his armour early in the series. Giguere was the true definition of a wall.

50. matraque says:

Did Carey signed yet?

Man i’m getting impatient… we lost our no 1 and now Carey is not signing… WTF?

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

51. TomNickle says:

Come on.  Have you seen Jaro Halak, or any other goaltender without their equipment on?

They essentially deflate.  Giguere had no more of an advantage in 02-03 than any other goaltender in the league.

52. SLONCOLD says:

tom, why can’t fans be happy with what they saw from halak during the playoffs. it was fun to be excited with his play. like you mentioned before in previous posts with halak, he didn’t do the goal scoring and shot blocking… same logic should be applied to gigy’s performance as well. he was one member of team that helped the team win

53. ed lopaz says:

I am still troubled by the unwillingness of Martin to play Price when Halak had his bad moments.

For example, didn’t we lose the first game to Philly 6-0??

Why wouldn’t Martin show some confidence in Price?

Its Martin who has DIMINISHED the reputation of Price.

Its the perception that Price had become a back up to Halak, by only playing a few games down the stretch and 1/19 starts in the playoffs.

Its this that has created the turmoil around Price.

This is what Gainey was trying to avoid the previous season by playing price all 4 games vs Boston.

Gainey knew 2 seasons ago that Price needed to be kept in the net; to develop, and to sustain his confidence.

Martin through all of that out the window.

Now Price is left to pick up the pieces while the f-heads in the rafters boo him.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

It would appear that the never ending Halk-Price debate will never cease to bring thousands of hits to the H I/O site.  If this keeps up all summer, Mike Boone’s Gazette bonus is going to be on a par with Taylor Hall’s.

55. Chuck says:

Problem is, even the author admits that the stats are incomplete, and
    that he can’t measure performances back as far as he’d like. The other
    problem is that it’s completely subjective; the numbers used to
    tabulate are accurate (shots, saves, etc.), but the weighting system is completely
    arbitrary. He could have used any number of weighting systems in order
    to influence the outcome… which is in fact what he did, considering that he used a different method from his first chart to come up with a completely different result.

56. SLONCOLD says:

Gigy was create that year but boy i remember his equipment being soooo huge. that chest pad of his was massive

57. mike g says:

Not to mention Giguere’s crease was full of crashers…

Alot of people tend to forget how difficult it was for goaltenders 5+ years ago, before the NHL implemented stricter rules on interference. Big, strong forwards like Holmstrom in his prime used to just go park their behinds infront of the net and take a beating. The defenseman would cross-check, punch, and do everything to try get them to move, but it wouldn’t work.

Goaltenders had alot more “dirty” saves to make, and they were interfered with alot more than the goalies today. I still think that if the rules would be the same, someone like Niemi wouldn’t have won the Cup this year. He’s terrible on rebounds, and back then rebounds were what the net crashers looked for and fed off of.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

58. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Sorry, I didn’t mean ridiculous as in “too much”. I think White is a good defenseman, it’s a pretty fair contract. It’s just the 3,000,000 – 5 part that I find ridiculous. I can just picture Sutter discussing it in his office.

“No WAY am I giving that clown 3 million dollars! (cough) Knock a fiver off there and sign it.”

59. TomNickle says:

Giguere swept the 02-03 Red Wings on the heels of a game 1, triple overtime, 63 save performance.

That team’s roster included…..

Sergei Federov, Brett Hull, Brendan Shanahan, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Igor Larionov, Tomas Holmstrom, Luc Robataille, Steve Yzerman, Nicklas Lidstrom, Chris Chelios, Mathieu Schneider and Jiri Fischer.

Giguere held the Red Wings to 5 goals in 4 games.

And swept them.

If you think Halak’s performance against the Capitals even sniffs Giguere’s against the Wings, I feel sorry for you.

60. PrimeTime says:

Your point is well taken….especially your arguement posted below @ 9:25. However, fans such as Clay and others of his camp will never accept it and will continue to counter based the perspective he provides. I agree with you, the only way Price (IF he re-signs) can build fan support to is to win. Unfortunately, this pressure makes it that much more difficult for him to succeed. He doesn’t have a clean slate and has zero “benefit of the doubt” credability whether that is valid or not. In 29 of the 30 NHL cities, the goalie is just part of the team but in MTL the position it the center piece of the team like it or not. Price has a steep hill to climb but it starts with the TEAM winning games. In the end, if I’m his advisor, I’m telling him to get the heck out of Dodge and enjoy your professional career elsewhere as soon as you can which is why I believe he is quietly holding out and requesting a trade. Lebron slipped out of the pressure and I think Price will try to do the same (in no way am I comparing the 2 athletes to each other…….just the pressure put on them by the fans in a no win situation).

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock The reason we are Hab fans

61. habs03 says:

White is a good D-man, 2.5 would have been more reasonable but I wouldn’t call it “ridiculous”.

62. TomNickle says:

Actually Ed I’m suggesting the contrary.  I see plenty of posts from people saying they’ve never seen a better playoff performance than Halak’s this post-season.

It’s funny considering what Giguere did merely seven years ago.

Also funny considering performances from the likes of Brodeur, Roy, Turco, Osgood, Hasek, Joseph and a few others.

Halak’s post-season had it’s ups and downs.  Certainly not worthy of being called one of the all-time best.

63. habs03 says:

Halak was amazing but he had a few off games, what Halak did in game 6 Vs. the Caps, Giguere did night in night out, that Ducks Vs Wings first round was amazing. I still remember that Stevens hit on Karyia in the finals like it was yesterday.

64. Mattyleg says:

Ha! Great line, Hickey: “Montreal already has a surplus on unemployed coaches who have found new
    careers second-guessing guys who have gainful employment.”

Precisely why I hate Mike Milbury in particular on HNIC. A proven flop at so many levels, and his “opinion” counts?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

65. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

No way was Darryl Sutter going to pay Ian White 3 million/yr.

Ha! That is amazing! What a ridiculous contract.

66. ed lopaz says:

Tom, what is your point in this post.

Giguere won a Stanley Cup in Anaheim.

he has had a successful career, and is now in his mid 30’s.

Are you saying that Giguere did not have a good career?

Are you suggesting that halak should be compared to Giguere?

I’m not sure what you are saying here.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

67. Clay4bc says:

“If you’re of the opinion that Halak’s playoff performance was the best you’ve ever seen….”

Love the melodrama!

I said it was the best single series performance I have ever seen (against the Caps). Whitehous’s stats back it up. I stand by my statement…

Carey Price killed my dog.

68. RGM says:

He’s been here for longer than the majority of the team, so he’s got seniority over a lot of other rumoured candidates – the only one that is a serious candidate that he can’t pull rank on is Markov. A simple extension takes care of the contract status (I don’t think he’ll get as much as Eric Engels speculated the other day, but it’ll be a nice raise), but I do see your point there. Youth is clearly not an issue when it comes to assigning the C in the NHL anymore – look at Toews and Sid and how old they were when they got their letter.

It’s going to be a fun discussion in the coming weeks – certainly doesn’t have the ugliness to it that the Price-bashers bring to the table when they set him, and by proxy the team, up for failure.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

69. nightmare_49 says:

In business, Blackhawks Colors are more Red than Black / Chicago Tribune/Business,0,3785092,full.column

The Blackhawks ended their season with capacity attendance and record merchandise sales, television ratings and sponsorship revenues, and the Stanley Cup.

But financially the team was a loser.

(No way was Darryl Sutter going to pay Ian White 3 million/yr.)

via NHLPA tweet,

Ian White settles with #Flames on 1-year $2,999,995M contract prior to arbitration hearing.

70. RiverviewCanadien says:

Sorry RGM, I like Gorges and I have said in the past he could be Captain material. I think because he is still not signed past this season (and is still young on the team, both in age and seniority), that will have a factor on it.

By no means was I trying to take anything away from Gorgie…he is another one of our iron-men. One of the best acquisitions Habs have made.

71. TomNickle says:

Jean Sebastien Giguere posted the following statistics during the 02-03 playoffs with Anaheim……

GP     W     L     GAA     SV%     SO

21     15    6     1.62    .945      5

If you’re of the opinion that Halak’s playoff performance was the best you’ve ever seen.  You weren’t watching in 02-03(understandable since they played a lot on the West Coast).

It was pre-lockout but Giguere had to go up against Detroit and Dallas in the first two rounds and they were the class of the West.  He also saw 33 shots per game, which in the pre-lockout period was probably the equivalent to what 40+ shots per game is now.

I remember the Ducks played the Stars in a game that went at least three overtime periods where Giguere was peppered.  That game, in my mind was far and away better than any of Halak’s performances this post-season.

The thing to consider about Giguere’s run is not only that he took a #7 seed to the Finals and within one game of winning the Stanley Cup but that he almost single handedly swept the Red Wings and Wild and kept his team in games long enough against the Stars to win in 6 games.

72. RGM says:

*ahem* What about the guy below?

Josh Gorges for Captain!

73. Curtoph says:

Well put, I also believe who ever is made Captain is going to be Captain for the right reasons, and will be able to lead the team to good things, the team knows how the team works inside and out and therefore they know better than us who it will be.

I just wonder, if they have already picked 100% who the captain will be?

74. RiverviewCanadien says:

My thought on the potential Captain and reasons:

Gionta – hockey smart, size does not matter with him, very effective and a good role model for the young guys. He knows what has to be done night-in and night-out.
    Markov – he is Markov, nuff said. Hab for life? (I hope so)
    Pleks – I always hear about how he talks to the guys on the bench and gets them going, has been a Hab his entire career and is well spoken. Plays the roles the coach and team needs him to. He seems to love this sport and this team. He is the Habs iron man.
    Gill – big, tall, wore the A all season, seems to be the glue amongst the players.

As a fan, we have no idea what really goes on behind closed doors, we see the on-ice product which does speak volumes, but does not give the entire picture. Anyways those are my top candidates, but whoever it is, I know it will be the best fit, that is why they waited a full season with all the new faces. I never mentioned Camms, not because I can’t see him filling, I just don’t see him filling that role. He has a good media presence and is a fan fav, but I like how things were last year with him, scoring goals.

I am so looking forward to this season, I love this team, I love the moves the club has done.