TGIF roundup

Have y’all recovered from the spine-tingling excitement of watching The Decision?

LeBron to Miami.

Now back to hockey:

• Pat Hickey on pint-sized prospect Brendan Gallagher

P.K. honoured by AHL

Ian Schultz wants to emulate Milan Lucic

• Juniors eye Louis Leblanc

Mike Cammalleri has been watching the World Cup

• La Presse reports extra police for the playoffs cost $2 million

• The indefatigable Robert L sizes up the team

Why not Quebec City?

• Darryl Sutter does something right

Josh Gorges’ Kelowna D partner becomes captain of the Predators

And before we close the book on LeBron James, check out this open letter by Cavs majority owner Dan Gilbert blasting a “shocking act of disloyalty.”

Hey, 838 Comments yesterday? Canadiens fans are crazy.

But we knew that.

1. JoeC says:

Thats for everyone that hates the Habs now that Halak is gone and is bandwagon hoping please go over there and praise Halak and stop with the arguing here.  KK Thanks

2. Castor says:

Great post.

I actually think that our bottom six are BETTER than last year right NOW.

Think about it.

I’ll take Pyatt, Byod and Eller over D’Agostini and Laraque.

I know it’s asking a lot, but imagine everyone plays to their potential

GOMEZ – GIONTA – POULIOT

CAMMY – PLEKY – AK

MOEN – ELLER – LAPS

DARCHE – BOYD – PYATT

People forget that we have 4 proven 25 to 35 goal scorers on the top two lines alone.

If Eller even plays to half his potential and Laps plays like the playoffs and Boyd plays marginally well we got ourselves some decent grinder lines.

Plus this year we have PK all year on defense.

3. Jbird says:

You mean this isn’t Gary Bettman and some impostor poser?!?!?

4. ed lopaz says:

dude – with all due respect, it is pretty much accepted by everyone, media, fans, etc, that

gauthier was directly involved in every major decision gainey took last summer – including gomez.

when you say,

it is my understanding that Gauthier /Gainey can NOT be separated like that.

Gainey, has himself admitted publicly that people such as Gauthier and Timmins were in fact given

the ultimate responsibility in their respective offices.

If you like what gainey has done – great! – you can also feel good about gauthier.

If you didn’t like the signings last year – it was ALSO GAUTHIER (and sometimes MOSTLY Gauthier) who brought these contracts to montreal.

5. habsonly says:

Excellent post, rational and well thought out.

Agreed with your all points and believe we have to remain optimistic that this team is on the right track and has alot of potential going forward.

I like the character that this team has developed and demonstrated during the playoff run this year and with a few surprises who knows. Looking forward to the 2010-2011 season.

6. TorontoHabsFan says:

I’m assuming that he was referring to Eller’s base salary minus performance bonuses – which is $875,000. I’m not sure what those bonuses are, but it isn’t inconceivable that Eller wouldn’t reach them.

I still think that Eller should stay in Hamilton for the year, and try to get Torres on a bargain deal as the summer drags on.

7. WarHero says:

Maybe, maybe not, once those Championship rings are on their fingers I think they might be singing a different tune 🙂

————————————————————————

8. Slovak says:

The post was about Price… As i still don’t understand why he is not signed already and how much money he deserves…

9. smiler2729 says:

Garry, the real Bettman only has one ‘r’ in Gary…

10. Mr. Biter says:

Very good article by R Lang to which I compleatly agree with. PG still time to sign Moore. BTW did Laps sign yesterday and if so what salary? Also great re-buttal letter to LB  from Cavs’s owner. Boy those he sound Pissed. What’s LB making, about 1/2 of the Habs entire cap per year?

11. SmartDog says:

Pretty slim.  He might be a late season call-up for games against tough teams if we have injuries.  But I would expect we’ll either not see him this year or see him for a few games next year.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

12. Bill H says:

No offence to the people that are still pissed, but I bet Halak is over it and has moved on.  These guys know it is a business.

Even when Saku was dropped, I was sad to see him go, but its a business, especially in the Salary Cap Era.

I really don’t get all that attached to players anymore.  When they move on to other things, I tend to cheer for the new team, not grieve for the old team.

13. SmartDog says:

For enough $ he will.  And he’ll give you a lapdance and striptease first!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

14. mike g says:

You know, I can’t argue with that..

So many crutial decisions in the past 10-15 years have been botched. Where to move teams, the incompetent salary cap, no more ESPN, etc…Gary Bettman has made the game worse for the fans. And in the end, the fans are the single most important variable in the equasion of a healthy league/sport. Without fans, there is no money.

And he’s stuck the finger to the fans with way too many bad decisions. The only problem is, the “loyal” fans in Canadian and few American markets, still pay for the on-ice product. No matter how much this league is mis-managed, we will always watch because it’s in our blood. And because we still pay, teams continue to make rediculous amounts of money. And the league uses a formula to calculate profits, according to it the league is healthy.

However, I can’t wait to see how the new formula is renegotiated for the new CBA starting in 2012…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

15. G-Man says:

He replied to that question last year with “I was never asked.” Look it up, I’m not a link provider today, it’s too bleeping hot!

16. SmartDog says:

Partly true.  You’re right that it’s the overall profit motive that drives decisions and the owners want maximum profits so they are with Bettman in seeing the US as having $ growth potential.

But Bettman’s not a robot. If he wanted to move Phoenix to Canada it would happen.  A financial argument COULD be made since the owners know that they’re propping up these lousy-market teams.   But the will isn’t there. Gary wants what GAry wants – and he wants to be the baseball of winter.  That’s ALL he wants.  He doesn’t give a rats ass about Canada, it’s fans, or even it’s money.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

17. Jbird says:

So is China – you should go there for 10 years and come back and tell us what happened.  We will somehow survive without you Czar Bettman.

18. adamkennelly says:

any chance Shultz makes the team?  if not (and maybe even if so) this is one soft ass hockey team.  Moen as your toughest player- give me a break…other teams muscle up in FA and Habs sit there like they don’t even know they have to play those same teams.

19. Jbird says:

Remember when the “big three” signed in Boston in 2007?  Most people said the exact same things as you and expected them to fail.  They didn’t. To recap: 3 Seasons One Championship, and two finals appearances for Boston.  NOW you have Wade, Bosh, James???  They would need to literally stab each other to fail here – and Bosh ain’t that gangsta – in fact he isn’t at all.  I predict Miami domination.

Not a fan of what happened in the NBA – especially that they all knew they were going to Miami for weeks, or months.  What is happening in the NBA is that individually the superstar players have become more powerful than the owners.  I want to be mad at Bosh and James but can’t.  They did exactly what any savy owner would do in the situation: Built the brand, built suspense and made loads of money in potential sponsorships.  The difference is the owners doing it is that their body and personality are not the brand it’s the Yankee pinstripes, the Raiders Black and the Chicago Bull.  Call me a “commie” but I’m sort of glad the players are getting this type of play – they are what we want to watch, Who wants to watch takhe owner play? They are the product and smart enough now to make just as much as any owner.  Good for them

20. WarHero says:

Markov refusing is more due to his broken english and not being good around the media. Can’t have a captain like that, especially in Montreal.

————————————————————————

21. G-Man says:

Wrist injury keeping him off the ice.

22. G-Man says:

Management is over-reliant upon “potential” panning out. This isn’t supposed to be the frigging Bulldogs. After 17 years, I want to see players that can play, not might bes and maybes.

23. j2c says:

As per one of the articles mentioned above it seems Avtsin got injured while at camp. This is not good news especially with where the injury or re-injury happened.

~Avtsin ailing: The Canadiens haven’t had much of an opportunity to evaluate Alexander Avtsin. The 19-year-old Russian injured his wrist and wasn’t able to practice yesterday. The Canadiens are trying to determine the best place for him to play next winter. He could go back to the KHL, play junior hockey in Canada or suit up with the Hamilton Bulldogs.~

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Subban+honoured/3254382/story.html#ixzz0tCAF1Qrm

24. derfab says:

Will Betman bend over? That is the question.

character is derfab destiny.

25. Slovak says:

26. mike g says:

Dear Lebron….

Thank you very much for increasing my interest in yet another sport. As if I didn’t spend enough of my time with hockey, baseball and football.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

27. Slovak says:

I need more than one team to cheer for…:-) On one extreme side I really think Price will fail – I just can not say I like him as n.1 – he did not earn it at all – it is the same with friendship in life – you are not friend with someone who did not somehow earn your sympathy… (but maybe he will earn it in the future), on the other extreme side I still somehow like the team. I think I don’t have to like all parts of the team to cheer for it as I don’t have to love superintelligent management… do I 🙂

Except that I must say this is the best forum so far in the whole NHL according to amount of informations, fans and atmosphere…:-) Even if I don’t post so often I like to read it…

And I really think many people here are overacting when it comes to strong disagreements – prime example is TONY – so many people here don’t like him but why? Is he really that bad? I don’t think so, many times his negativity is much more interesting than someone’s blind positivity…

But that is just a view from overseas 🙂

28. gumper says:

For what they’re worth, here are my thoughts about next year’s version of the Habs.

First of all, I think it’s unfair to characterize PG as the puppet of BG. What we’ve seen since Gauthier took the reins is a manager trying to manage his way around the constrictions placed on him by Gainey’s Free Agency Madness buying spree last summer. Not an easy thing to do. Burdened by one or two inordinately large contracts, Pierre has no choice but to gradually bring things back into reasonable balance. For this year, the wisest way to do this is to trade for/sign young, inexpensive personnel with (we all devoutly hope) significant upside in the next 2-5 years. As far as trading Halak rather than Price, you just had to know that Halak would be the one on the trading block for two reasons. 1. Habs have committed to Price from the get-go, as the goalie with the bigger upside long-term, whether it’s true or not. 2. Halak likely has more value right now in a trade as the more proven NHL goalie.

Secondly, several people here have made the point that the end of next year will see significant dollars freed up for free agency. I agree with those thoughts, and the related idea that Gauthier is definitely not setting the team up for a deep run next year, but rather sometime within the next 3 years. I know we’re all tired of five-year plans, but we just have to accept the fact that for our current GM, this is year one. We can’t expect him to accomplish all of his goals and visions within the first year of his tenure. Afterall, most of us were willing to give Bob five.  I agree with people who are saying that, on paper, the team we have heading into 2010-11, is not better than last year’s version. It lacks experience, particularly in the bottom six. However, the other side of that coin is that we may just have a bottom six with more potential than last year’s version, and that’s the key from PG’s point of view. I suppose, in his mind, he believes that a less expensive group with more potential is the best way to deal with cap issues, given the cards he’s been dealt.  (Eller, Boyd instead of Moore, White, Maxwell, instead of Metropolit.)  Next year, with more FA dollars to spend, and with a better understanding of what he really has, Gauthier will be in a position to fill in holes with veteran players and make a serious run.

Thirdly, and quite irrationally, I’m pretty excited about the youth movement on the team. For whatever reason I believe this team could surprise a few people next year. Personally, I really like it when the pundits start counting the Habs out, because that’s when they perform best. Going into next season, the veterans are established and there will be no major breaking-in period while they get to know each other. We have young guys challenging for ice time at most positions, and the general attitude on the team is one of confidence and healthy competition. When you are feeling pessimistic, compare this to the state of confusion that reigned at this time last year. This has to be a big improvement.

Finally, as far as the Carey Price/Alex Auld experiment is concerned, what can you say? We just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope it all pans out. This is by far PG’s biggest gamble. If it doesn’t pay off, there’s always the possibility there may be some free agent tenders still floating around out there. Anyway, there’s naught can be done about it anyway, and I refuse to spend my summer gnashing my teeth and rending my garments over things that can’t be changed.  With kids like Avtsin, Kristo and LeBlanc in the wings, we might as well remain optimistinc. It’s better than the alternative!

29. bwoar says:

There is no truth at all to the Markov/captaincy thing, you can put it to bed.

30. Garry Bettman says:

But the united states are an unserved market!

31. HabFanSince72 says:

Bettman does what the owners tell him.

32. krob1000 says:

what happened with Avtsin..I thought he was at camp…..did he leave?

33. bwoar says:

re Avtsyn

Yes, and that something is the Montreal Canadiens, who didn’t have the class or organizational intelligence to make sure the kid had A TRANSLATOR on hand.  I’m not a negatron but WTF – the kid doesn’t speak English, they invite him over and he comes, and they have not a single Russian on hand to help with communication??

Amazing.

But I don’t think it’s quite so dire as you make it out to be, a lot of people feel he’s got some kind of injury that is holding him back right now.  I read that Moscow Dynamo has announced his contract was broken so I assume he is serious in pursuing hockey on this continent.

34. avatar_58 says:

When a team makes a player captain it usualy signals he’s not moveable for awhile

35. SmartDog says:

Alright!  You must be a genius too!  🙂

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

36. SmartDog says:

I see it as “because Bettman ONLY WANTS to sell the game to Americans”.

But I agree with your point.  These articles are useless.  Just a journalist making a story out of nothing.  Canadians will watch anyway so where’s the profit in that?   But I hear there’re a few people excited about hockey in Butfuk Ohio.  Maybe THEY’ll get the next team.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

37. derfab says:

Based on what I saw during the olympics, Weber is definately the best.

Your audacious comments remind me that I am still bothered by the assumption or fact  that Markov refused the C.

If he did, it tells you he’s not fully on board with this team and probably can’t be counted on for 2011-12.

I was one of the “idiots” ready to give him up for Lecavalier before we got Gomez.

character is derfab destiny.

38. SmartDog says:

Apparently last year and this year he said he’d play in NA but he didn’t last year and now is saying he won’t this year either.

And though I agree the stupid Canadien management should’ve had a translator there with him, the longer he stays in Russia the harder it’s going to be to pick up enough English to play in Canada.

So if you look at his choices, he’s not getting closer to being a Hab, he’s getting further.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

39. Clay4bc says:

Get over it – people are still pissed.

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Denis Diderot

40. HabFanSince72 says:

No point in having a veteran for one year at this point – better to bring up the youngsters, especially when said veteran was never that good to begin with.

41. StevieRay says:

2) not only left ..but got nothing for them …nothing !~~ Should’ve traded Bosh to Utah !  Jerry Sloan would of made a player out of him !! Looks good on Toronto though !!!

42. SmartDog says:

I try to be realistic…. which means I have difficulty seeing things in the rosy way that some people think a “true fan” should.  But I have to say I love the optimism around some of our prospects and it’s easy to get caught up in it.

I think this Gallagher kid is cool. His numbers are awesome -he’s a true performer – and the fact that he has the toughness and fitness to match, to me means he may just have what Marty SL has.  A good late-round pick I think.

I also love Shulz’s attitude. He sees the Habs need and wants to be that solution.  We need more of that.  Sounds like a positive camp… except for Avitsyn (sp?) who seems like something or someone is blocking him from making the jump to either North America, or English capitalist society, or both.  starting to look like another stay-at-home Russian.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

43. Clay4bc says:

🙂

__________________________

44. Bill H says:

Get over it.  Halak plays for St. Louis now.

45. StevieRay says:

What a bunch of BS….I was never a Bosh fan especially when he went all gangster lookin’ last season …he’s just a soft.. perimeter shooter ..

I am Canadian and Hockey is my game … thank God !

46. HabFanSince72 says:

Surely the answer to all those “Why not Canada” articles is “Because we sold the game to Americans.”

47. Chris F says:

OK, lets start the insanity. Next year we go after Shea Weber with everything we have. Hammer and Gill off the books, and even if we have to part with Markov. Yes, Shea Weber is that good, he’s as good as there is. Big, strong, best shot in the league. What more could you want. Keep O’Byrne, Georges, Subban, and I believe Spacek is still under contract, pick up someone else to fill in the number six role, and there you have it.

Shea Weber will play 26-28 minutes a night when it counts. Man, this would be awesome. But…Nashville may try to sign him early if they are smart, they just made him captain as a ploy to keep him no doubt. Same thing Vancouver did with Luongo. Anyway, I’m just saying that this guy would be the absolute best player we could possibly get for this team. Lock him up for 10 years and have him teach Tinordi.

Hey, tell Georges to open the lines of communication this year. It’s not tampering if it’s a buddy joking around right?

48. Clay4bc says:

Get outta my head man! How could you possibly know exactly what I was thinking? You’re freaking me out!

__________________________

49. derfab says:

One of the great things about hockey is that there is still place for smaller players to excel. I am starting to appreciate the fact that the Habs have gone after some good, tenacious young players like Boyd and Shultz. Galagher is my kind of player and could really be a good one. Good pick.

character is derfab destiny.

50. Chuck says:

I say sign him for four to take him to 27. That way, he’s locked in until he’s UFA-eligible and less of a risk for a potential trade partner should someone come along with a deal that the Habs couldn’t refuse.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

51. puck face says:

man it’s going to suck for anyone not named James , Wade , OR Bosh playing for the heat ,  three guys with huge egos each wanting to score 30 points per game ,  good luck  ever seeing the ball. this could end up backfiring for the heat if things don’t go smoothly from the get go , there’ll be three big egos back stabbing each other and a bunch of support players pissed off that they don’t have any stats to negotiate new contracts with.

52. Clay4bc says:

Seconded!

(or thirded, if Tony’s on board…? Whichever…)

__________________________

53. Slovak says:

I really don’t understand what are they waiting for, do you? But maybe I am wrong and there are superbrains in HABS management and they will show us all that they got some “super 6th sense chess master plan” for everything…

54. WarHero says:

Hopefully we’ll see Price sign today. Followed by Laps.

————————————————————————

55. Clay4bc says:

Good post though…it’s pretty much exactly how I see it – right up to the last sentence about the “best option”. Thanks for that, Slovak.

BYW…nice to see you still around after how your boy was treated here…

__________________________

56. Dintrox says:

Some comments:

1) Feaster hiring good for calgary. The owner has said over and over again that Sutter’s job is safe. Maybe finally Sutter is on his way out.

2) Cavs owner upset. i think the raptors should be way more upset. Add Bosch to a long list of players that have left at the first chance out of TO — Stoudamire, Vince Carter, tracy McGrady,

3) Give Kovalchuk a half hour special on TSN to explain his destination. Then maybe the circus will be done.

4) Leblanc should stay in the NCAA. It is very unlikely given the tough CHL schedule that he could complete much at McGill. He probably has a 4 year scholarship at Harvard and he would have to pay for McGill.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

57. punkster says:

And the Price watch continues. We anxiously await that puff of smoke that will signal the signing.

At the risk of sounding Tony-esque I repeat my Price contract wish: $1.5M per, maximum 2 years.

FREE TIMO!

58. SmartDog says:

As always, a thoughtful article by Robert, but this one has more holes than Swiss cheese.

It looks like Robert is trying to convince that Gauthier’s decisions make sense even while not really believing.  The Metro-Eller comparison is a clear example.  Metro could be signed for 1.27 in a heartbeat.

Robert also gives Gauthier credit for this HUGE insight (LOL): “One thing smartly noted by GM Gauthier in recent weeks, was that
    the last two Cup winners – Pittsburgh and Chicago – benefitted from
    bargain performances by players on the cheap…. it’s all about bang for the buck.”  How brilliant!  You kjnow where you can REALLY save money?  Not trading for one of the leagues biggest joke contracts.  Or are we to assume Gauthier was sick the day they traded for Gomez?   Why did he give Pouliot such a nice raise?  Why trade for Moore and then drop the guy?  Doesn’t a draft pick count as something of worth?

I appreciate that Robert is trying to make sense of Gauthier…. and trying to believe things are being well managed. But I think he’s bending truths to make his case.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

59. WarHero says:

Amen, it is quite refreshing!

————————————————————————

60. von says:

P.K. is so committed to this organization, it is so refreshing. When he matures, I see the ‘C’ on this mans chest down the road.

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

61. WarHero says:

FYI, Price never made near his actual salary last year due to NOT meeting his bonus targets. I think he only actually made about 900k last season.

————————————————————————

62. ed lopaz says:

Robert L. says that Metropolit might have cost the Habs DOUBLE the salary of Eller

“Eller is the best Canadiens prospect at center since Plekanec, and he will cost the team half of Metropolit’s salary in estimation, while being ten years younger.”

But Cap Geek has Eller signed at 1.27 million for this coming year and next.

Does that mean Metroploit is going to get 2.54 million as a free agent?

I doubt it.

63. Slovak says:

Till Price will be signed (maybe superbrains in management want to give him his dollars as a christmas present), i found this nice post from outside world, quite interesting, isn’t it? 🙂

“$2.5-3mil plus bonuses for Price? Ridiculous. Price hasn’t held up his end of the deal yet; in fact, once the opposition got the range, he done gone ka-bust.

He should grab his qualifying offer to make it very attractive to give himself a shot at a good season. Another season like last season, and he’ll be job-hunting. There’s no need for bonuses of any sort whatsoever – he already made out like a bandit for $6mil in that category.

He didn’t just have lousy numbers – he had controversy and attitude. His best ranking is PIMs at 6th (1st in post-season, very tough on a team when the goalie causes the PK). His losses 15th; his wins 37th; his GAA 31st; his sv% 20th.

He ranked 19th in 6 post-season categories – from a seed of 16 teams.

His NHL trend is sinking through the ice. He was 13-20 in his 3rd year in the league (his worst year), on a team that miraculously raised their game when he wasn’t in net.

Only the magic shine from management keeps this guy out of the heat lamp. Oh, and Scotty Bowman said keep him …

It’s a puzzle. Best explanation is the cap-crunch forces them to keep the goal-tending costs under $2mil (and parachute the real deal in if the team stays in the hunt).

2.5-3.0mil per and bonuses – dump Price and grab Turco or Nabakov. The best option already left on jet plane.”

64. slamtherimtim says:

838 comment , and how many deleted

65. WarHero says:

Not quite that much, but bet he could feel good about asking for 2mill flat for all the goals he scored. That being said, Eller would still be cheaper.

————————————————————————

66. avatar_58 says:

Couldn’t they have used Darche’s money + 500-1mil of leftover cap to offer him 1 – 1.5 mil? I mean come on, he’s worth at least that much. If he turns it down so be it, but it sounds like he was never asked.

67. StevieRay says:

Is it just conicidental that since being Steve Moore’s brother …. he has a hard time staying with one team .. after all he was one of the Laffs top scorers during Brian Burke’s first year …… and was let go … suppose he’s getting the old “black balled” treatment ..??

68. WarHero says:

Expecting Moore to buy it? Perhaps he will when he signs his new contract, lol

————————————————————————

69. WarHero says:

There was just not enough Cap to keep Moore, he priced himself out of the Habs plans.

————————————————————————

70. CanadienBoy says:

Robert read is dead on  how i feel about the habs moves ,like him why why why not keep Moore and trade him down the road when went the youngs guys proved them self!!!

71. WarHero says:

While I would Like LL to play junior for the extra games, I agree with 24cups that he would be a fool to stop going to Harvard. It’s to good an opportunity.

————————————————————————

72. Puck Bard says:

It’s soooooo dull. Let Tarana have their dinosaur club.

73. The Cat says:

Man I cant get excited about basketball.

74. nick says: