Game on! Tentative deal reached to end lockout

kidweb

The NHL lockout finally came to an end in the early morning hours Sunday in a New York City hotel ballroom following a marathon 16-hour negotiating session.

After six long months of negotiations, a tentative deal was reached at 5 a.m. to end the 113-day lockout. Training camps are slated to open this week and there will be either a 50 or 48-game season that will begin as early as Jan. 15 and as late as Jan. 19.

Before the new CBA officially comes into effect, it must be ratified by a majority of both the league’s 30 owners and the union’s membership.

“We have reached an agreement on the framework of a new collective bargaining agreement, the details of which need to be put to paper,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told a news conference. “We’ve got to dot a lot of i’s and cross a lot of t’s. There’s still a lot of work to be done but the basic framework of the deal has been agreed upon.”

Said Donald Fehr, executive director of the NHL Players’ Association: “Hopefully within a very few days the fans can get back to watching people who are skating, not the two of us.”

Neither side announced any details of the deal, but The Canadian Press reported that according to a source it’s a 10-year agreement with an opt-out option after eight years. It also includes defined benefit pensions for the players as well as a $64.3-million salary cap in 2013-14.

The pro-rated salary cap for this season will be $70.2 million and the Canadiens have 23 players under contract for a total cap hit of $63.9 million.

Reported Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News: “The particulars look like this: It’s a 10-year deal with an opt-out for either side after eight, so it guarantees labour peace until at least 2020. The two sides will split revenue 50-50, with US$300-million in make-whole money to cover contracts already signed. The players have strengthened their pensions, which are defined benefit plans with the majority of responsibility placed on the NHL. Pensions became the signature issue of the talks, and were agreed to in the early hours of the morning. Players said the settlement issue truly gave the talks some real momentum, and at that point they realized there might be a deal that night.”

Arthur also reported that the NHL “will see term limits on player contracts for the first time, with players limited to seven-year deal if they sign with another team, and eight years with their own team. There will be two compliance buyouts per team, which will spur some serious player movement.”

Arthur added: “Teams can spend up to US$70.2-million this year, and the cap in 2013-14 will be US$64.3-million, which is closer to what the players wanted to begin the day than what the owners wanted. The floor, both years, will be US$44-million. The cap is also guaranteed not to fall below US$64.3-million in subsequent years. Contract variance from year-to-year will be limited to 35%, and can never drop below 50% of the highest year of any deal, which puts contracts in a box.”

Arthur added there are a number of issues which still need to be agreed to, including the Olympics, though NHL participation seems likely.

Read more by clicking here.

Read Arthur’s column by clicking here.

Now the nearly 200 NHLers who had been playing in Europe during the lockout will be heading back home and will have a big advantage after playing games for the last three months. Read more by clicking here.

Here is some of the reaction from Canadiens players on Twitter:

Colby Armstrong (@armdog): “Thanks to fans for hanging in there. Exciting time for all you fans. The best game in the world is back. Go Habs Go!!! Hell ya!! Love it.”

Brandon Prust (@BrandonPrust8): “Is anybody ready for some hockey? Man this is gonna be good”

Josh Gorges (@jgorges26): “Today is a good day!!! I just want to say thanks to all the fans who have supported us thru this and been waiting patiently… You guys are the best!!”

Max Pacioretty (@MaxPacioretty67): “Great day and great start to the new year. Hoping for a great season now for our team”

Owner Geoff Molson (@GMolsonCHC): “On joue au hockey! Let’s play hockey!”

From former Hab Hal Gill (@Skillsy75): “48-50 game season? That means the fans who do come back are in for a treat!”

From former Hab Sheldon Souray (@SSouray): “Ahhhh, the sun FINALLY came out for real this morning!!”

From CBC’s Don Cherry (@CoachsCornerCBC): “For all you people that are going to watch NHL hockey this year, make no mistake about it, you’re watching it because of Gary Bettman… Bettman was the guy that had to pull the trigger whether this was done or not. He saved the season.”

From player agent Allan Walsh (@walsha): “On behalf of my clients and all NHL players, THANK YOU DON FEHR. You did an fantastic job and the players appreciate all your efforts.”

From country-music superstar Carrie Underwood (@CarrieUnderwood), who is married to the Predators’ Mike Fisher: “Well, folks, hockey is back! Very bittersweet…I just lost my purse holder but gained cheering on my hot husband as he kicks butt!”

And from former Canadien Chris Nilan (@KnucklesNilan 30): First game in every NHL city should be a freebie for the fans

You can follow Twitter updates from The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs by clicking here.

The Canadiens posted a Game On! video on their website. Check it out by clicking here.

TSN will air a Game On Special tonight at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. ET.

(Photo by Phil Carpenter/The Gazette)

1. habstrinifan says:

Thanks to all replying to my question. I dont want to clutter the thread so I wont say thanks individually under it. Hope u understand.

And I am keeping track as a fun exercise.

2. habstrinifan says:

Two Questions!

OK Pick 1: Only 1:

I will keep a list of all your picks. It will be cool to see the what happens.

Who cracks the Habs line-up right out of ‘camp’. If no camp.. who is starts and stays longest would be the criterion. Let’s not do too muchdifferent scenarios…… just pick someone and go with it.

Galchenyuk.
    Gallagher.
    Tinordi.
    Beaulieu.
    Blunden.
    LeBlanc.
    St. Denis
    Your pick ——————–(if not in above group).

Question 2:
    Who among ‘regulars’ loses spot right out of camp? Dropping from to 3rd/4th line is ‘losing spot’ for a forward or 6th 7th D for a defense. So is being traded.

Weber.
    White.
    Gomez.
    Bourque.
    Diaz.
    Subban.
    Your pick_____________.

3. HabFab says:

LouisJean_TVA – Don Meehan and @PKSubban1 to meet tomorrow to discuss contract talks w/ #Habs. Meehan says he will then contact Marc Bergevin.

4. Bripro says:

It’s amazing…
    For so long, there was so much doom and gloom on this and many other sites.
    Talking down the NHL, the players, PK on TV, whatever could be criticized.
    There were many non-participants for so long, you thought the world was coming to an end… well, not quite, but you catch my drift.
    But today?
    The “flush Gomez” talks are back.
    Who we’ll play first.
    Whether we will purchase NHL paraphernalia or not.

Ahhhh…. hockey’s back, baby!

Let the tanking begin!

5. Haberoooo13 says:

Any ideas and/or reports to how many guys will be at Hab camp? (Apologies if I missed this elsewhere)

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

6. frontenac1 says:

@steeltownhab. Agreed . Saw Dumont knock the sh*t out of Joe Colborne. He has moxie amigo.

7. Haberoooo13 says:

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

8. Bripro says:

Testing the new Habs-supportive avatar….
    For the new hockey season!

9. frontenac1 says:

Love Whitey,my kind of player. He would have your back in any dark alley. Important player on any line up. That was a serious sports hernia injury he had last year. I hope he is over it.

10. Steeltown Hab says:

I can’t figure out how to update my avatar. Could someone gimme the rundown?

———————————

Lars, PK, Pac, Emelin, LL – @J_Perez22

• J.J. of Turku says:

You should google “Gravatar”, register there and follow the easy instructions. Even I managed to do it with my poor english…. :D

http://media.turku.fi/kamera1.html (don’t click, the camera is not in use)

• Bripro says:

Gravatar.com
      They’ll ask you to create a profile.
      Then you’ll either download an image from your hard drive,
      or off the internet.
      And once you click “confirm”, it’ll take a few seconds, but an image associated with your email address will show up.

11. Harditya says:

Bob McKenzie is reporting that Tim Thomas is not interested in playing this season (this is his contract year by the way). I guess he has made up his mind to retire from hockey.

12. Chris says:

It got buried below, so I’ll repost this as a question… If Ryan White is healthy, why not groom him to be the team’s fourth line centre?

A fourth line centre should be defensively responsible and hopefully capable of bringing some energy to the team when they are on the ice. Ideally, the fourth line will spend more time in the opposing team’s end, even if they can’t score while there, then their own end.

Ryan White is interesting in this regard. I think he is yet another victim of heightened expectations based on his initial impressions in Montreal. He is a decent skater and he showed a willingness to back up his teammates. Based on his last couple of years in junior , where he was a point-per-game player, I think people were hoping he’d develop into a third line winger. But his offensive growth never really happened.

What White brought in junior hockey (and to a certain extent in Hamilton) seems like a prototypical fourth line centre. He was voted by league GMs, coaches and players as the second best defensive forward (behind Brandon Sutter) and the best at faceoffs in his final season, and he had consistently been receiving votes in those categories throughout his WHL career. He has decent size (6’0″, 195 pounds) and his oft-cited trait is that he has a great work ethic. He consistently played against the other top centres in the WHL.

If you give up on the idea that he will ever be anything more than a player who can give you 8-10 minutes on the fourth line, I think Ryan White might be worth looking at in that role. He obviously hasn’t played centre for some years now, but it is what he played his whole career before the NHL.

Gabriel Dumont is getting some attention for a fourth-line role down the road, but his credentials are no better than those of White, and White brings some things (physical play, willingness to fight) that Dumont can not bring.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Dumont plays physical but doesn’t have Whites size. As for “willingness to fight” I’ve been to 4 bulldogs games this year and Dumont dropped the gloves in each one. I’m not saying he can throw down with the NHL heavyweights but he’ll mix it up.

Not worried about him fighting when we have White and Prust, in addition to Moen n Armstrong this team has enough grit in the bottom 6. Dumont brings more offense and is a C already playing pro hockey which is the main reason I’d give him the nod.

———————————

Lars, PK, Pac, Emelin, LL – @J_Perez22

• commandant says:

I’ve always questionned if White has the footspeed and the vision to play centre in the NHL. Those are his two biggest challenges IMO, he just isn’t a fast enough skater to cover the amount of ice a centre needs to cover… and two does he see his linemates and the play well enough?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

13. Mavid says:

12 hours in with hockey being back and its up to almost 400 comments..I love you guys hehehehehehehehe….I can hardly contain my glee…

14. J.J. of Turku says:

Nice.

No more sleeping at nights.

Phew… :D

http://media.turku.fi/kamera1.html (don’t click, the camera is not in use)

15. slapshot777 says:

Ok now that the CBA has been settled time to turn to more impotant matters. How many days before the announcement of a PK signing. Any guesses ? 2, 3 or 7 days ?.

I think PK will be signed by Thursday. So I think it will take 4 days.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

16. Boomer says:

I like the idea that fans should not attend a few games in protest and no one should watch on tv. Send a message to both sides that this kind of ***t won’t be tolerated. But alas, rinks will be packed and ratings will rise.

How does one make a sheep sound on a website?
    Bahahahahaha?
    anyways you get the point.

• commandant says:

The NHL wasn’t worried about cancelling 32 games per team. As long as the fans come back a “few games” of protest will have next to no effect.

It needs to be something that happens for at least the entirety of this 50 game season, but as you say, its almost impossible.

As for me… I won’t buy NHL merch, but being honest with myself, I know I’m watching the games.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Harditya says:

We will ALL be watching the games. Several people here will be eating crow on the regular season opener haha

• RetroMikey says:

I won’t be watching…..but maybe surf RDS the odd time when the Habs play but you won’t see me running to call the Boutique to buy Habs’ merchandise or watch games at the ACC or go to Buffalo as the days of yore.
          Besides, how can we all get excited knowing our Habs are destined to be bottom feeder dwellers for the next 3 or 4 years?
          Honestly, what is there to be excited about?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Stevie.Ray says:

I’ll watch, but won’t attend or buy merch for a year.

• Garbo says:

Not buying merchandise is going to hurt the retailers more than anything, who have nothing to do with the lockout.

On the other hand, watching games on tv will ensure the NHL keep capitalizing on their massive tv contracts.

You have backwards logic.

The only way to stick it to them is to boycott everything altogether. And as many have pointed out is not going to happen.

Just buy a new jersey, go to a game, and enjoy what we have missed for so long. To think you have any influence by doing otherwise is delusional.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I can’t afford it. Thanks your ruining the one excuse I had. Now I just have to admit I’m poor

17. pmaraw says:

o m g o m g o m g o m g I didnt think today would come that we have a hockey season o m g o m g o m g I hope Galchenyuk plays o m g I AM EXCITED!!!

kk I know a handful of you want to see them keep Gally in the ohl, but I really think he could be the habs trump card, does Donald Trump own euchre?

18. Steeltown Hab says:

Just a quick Q – Can we use our compliance buyouts right away or just at the end of the year?

Also saying right it now. Dumont has earned the 4th line C role already with what he’s done in Hamilton and what he showed on his few call-ups last year.

Looking forward to watching the young core this year, and hoping Therrien actually puts Eller in a position to succeed, he should break out this year.

———————————

Lars, PK, Pac, Emelin, – @J_Perez22

• JF says:

The buyouts can only be used in the off-season.

On Dumont – I think he’ll be our 4th-line centre, but not yet.

• commandant says:

Dumont has had a nice couple weeks, but on the balance of the season, he’s earned nothing…. especially with DD and Pleks as our top 2 centres and his size.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Steeltown Hab says:

Wasn’t basing his deserving a look for the 4th line on point production. Dumont plays with grit and speed and MTL doesn’t really have anyone in that role (I’m not sure White can play C in the NHL).

I agree the top 6 is too small down the middle but having a big 4LC doesn’t solve that. DD will have to move to the wing eventually to fit into the top 6. He was effective on the W against Boston in the playoffs.

———————————

Lars, PK, Pac, Emelin, LL – @J_Perez22

I am going to miss the most talented broadcaster to come along in a long time. The PK has a lot going for him, he should take over coaches corner for the has been himself! Now who is eating crow Cherry!??

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

20. axxerd says:

So does this mean we won’t get to see how the fantasy season plays out?? :(

jk of course! Let’s go Habs!

—-
    Newfoundland’s biggest Habs fan. Hands down.

Boone will have to get some live blogging practice in, In Hamilton to be up to speed by the 19th or so.

Gee! I can hardly remember the color of our sweaters!

22. HabFab says:

Shannon’s take on what he will miss about the lock out. Actually pretty good read and working with PK at SportsNet is one of them;

The Tank™ is ready to be un-mothballed should the need arise.

• HabFab says:

Section 52, subsection ix has eliminated all future tanking. Understand scrap metal is selling presently, get out while the money is there :)

• HardHabits says:

Are you kidding me? That would be like recycling a Van Gogh for paint chips. I am currently in negotiations with the HHOF for a special section dedicated to the NHL Entry Draft and the vehicle needed to cross the finish line in 1st place. The Tank™ is going to have it’s own monument.

24. Habilis says:

“Renaud Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS
    Si la saison commence le 19 janvier, le Canadien pourrait bien recevoir les Bruins comme le calendrier original le prévoit. On verra.”

So we’d get to boo Dougie Hamilton on opening night? Excellent (taps fingers together).

25. Haborama says:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!

So how many Habs players will be injured before the season even begins? Btw, is the league looking to have a few pre-season games?

27. SmartDog says:

Is this kid saying:
    A. Hooray there will be hockey!
    B. Yay, no more stupid “fantasy” posts.
    C. Buying out Gomez – yeehaw!!!
    D. All of the above…

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

28. j2w4habs25 says:

feels good to be back – i missed everyone!!!!. Happy New Year btw

GO HABS GO!

Carey Price #31

29. smiler2729 says:

…………….. yawn.

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

30. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

why do we have a chance??

Because of the N.A.G. element on the team:
    (N.A.G. = North American Grit)

COLBY ARMSTRONG 6′ 2″ 195 LLOYDMINSTER, SK, CAN
    RENE BOURQUE 6′ 2″ 211 LAC LA BICHE, AB, CAN
    ERIK COLE 6′ 2″ 205 OSWEGO, NY, USA
    TRAVIS MOEN 6′ 2″ 215 STEWART VALLEY, SK, CAN
    MAX PACIORETTY 6′ 2″ 196 NEW CANAAN, CT, USA
    BRANDON PRUST 6′ 0″ 192 LONDON, ON, CAN
    RYAN WHITE 6′ 0″ 193 BRANDON, MB, CAN
    FRANCIS BOUILLON 5′ 8″ 198 NEW YORK CITY, NY, USA
    ALEXEI EMELIN 6′ 2″ 223 TOGLIATTI, RUS
    JOSH GORGES 6′ 1″ 200 KELOWNA, BC, CAN
    P.K. SUBBAN 6′ 0″ 206 TORONTO, ON, CAN

these NAG players can deliver the type of elements needed to be an elite team.

The reason i bring this up is because it has been many years since we have iced a team that brings respect and fear to the opponent.

Our 70’s dynasty with (8-9cups in that decade!) had this composition.

add a “Staubitz” and we really have a chance to contend with the Bruins… remember the “LaRock effect” rendered the bruins into little mice (rats)…

Finally we have management and coaching that understand the NAG element..

The N.A.G. effect remains the only path to success…

• B says:

Carey Price 6’3″ 219 lbs Anahim Lake, BC, CAN ?

–Go Habs Go!–

• HabFab says:

What about Lars, good nag going there 6-2 210?

• commandant says:

In the year before Laraque arrived, Habs were 8-0 vs Bruins in the Regular season, and beat the Bruins in the playoffs.

In the year Laraque was here, Habs were 1-5 vs Bruins in the regular season and 0-4 in the playoffs.

But yes…. Laraque turned the Bruins into mice.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good argument though.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• HabFab says:

Ben, don’t believe you have been around long enough to experience the full force of the NAG ;)
        The Professor has been amongst the missing for a couple of seasons.

• HAB-PROFESSOR says:

we had a team last season?

yes when they acquired Staubitz and White came back…briefly

The N.A.G. effect remains the only path to success…

• Stevie.Ray says:

In the last series against the Bruins, I remember the games we won were the ones where we dumped and chased and didn’t let the Bruins bodycheck us.
        The games we lost were the ones where we tried to carry the puck across the blue line, and allowed the Bruins to be more physical.

• HAB-PROFESSOR says:

“LaRock effect” doesnt necessarily mean George…

although he did entertain us.

The N.A.G. effect remains the only path to success…

31. TrevEllwood says:

Potential starting lineup suggestions. Anyone?

• CHasman says:

It’s been so long I had to go to the Habs website just to see who’s on the team. With a new coach the lines are up in the air I would imagine that Max, Eric and David will be given a chance to display the magic of last year. I expect big things from Lars Eller this year but really, I’m afraid we’ll have a hard time scoring. Have to give Therion the benefit of the doubt but the only positive I have to say now is that he has to be better than Jacques.

• Habilis says:

Cole-DD-Patches
      Gio-Plek-Galchenyuk
      Prust-Eller-Bourque
      Moen-Gomez-Armstrong

Gorges-PK
      Markov-Emelin
      Bouillon-Kaberle

Price
      Budaj

• Stevie.Ray says:

I like this, but would like it more with White in Gomez’s place.

And it’s not for sure Galchenyuk will make the team.

• Habilis says:

I don’t like Gomez either but I think he’ll outplay White in camp. Same with Kaberle vs Diaz or Weber. I know it’s not for sure with Gally but I was just putting down what I thought would be the best possible opening night line-up. In my eyes, Gally is already among the top 6 or 7 forwards in the organization. Just my opinion.

• rhino514 says:

Not bad, but Bourque makes me nervous and i believe right wing is his off wing which makes matters worse. His lack of passion makes me nervous. And I wouldn´t mind seeing Galchenyuk up but I don´t think it would happen, which makes Bourque our top six winger :(
            We need him to have one iof his “on2 years i.e. minimum twenty-two goals…

32. B says:

Olivier Archambault and the Voltigeurs take on the Drakker at 4:00 PM on TVAsports this afternoon. Note this channel is now on a free preview on Bell (channel 1883 HD or 193 std).

–Go Habs Go!–

33. Could someone help me out with this, the cap ceiling for the season coming up is 60 mil but there is a pro-rated cap ceiling of 70.2, is that pro-rated cap ceiling effective from now to the end of the season? And if so, wouldn’t we have the space to sign Subban?

Jagger – Habs7.com

• ABHabsfan says:

No trouble under the cap this season, it is making it fit next year when they have to lose $6M. Of course we can all think of at least $7.3M that can go right off the top

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• HabFab says:

We have over $7 ML left for this season based on the $70.2 Cap for this year.
      This based on Leblanc being removed as the 23rd player on the roster for PK.

34. Mattyleg says:

Woke up this morning and heard that the lockout was over, and immediately thought of this.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. Bigdawg says:

Any word on the new CBA with ragards to re-entry waivers and cap implications of burying contracts in europe ???

36. rhino514 says:

Cherry thinks Bettman saved the season??? I am in awe of Fehr, he got the players EVERYTHING they could have possible hoped for.

Things I don´t understand about the CBA:

1)If teams can spend up to 70 million, isn´t that alot more than 50/50 of HRR? Doesn´t it make the whole concept of 50/50 for the first season essentially moot?

2) How can a salary cap be set at 64.3 million if the players are owed 50/50 of HRR? If the HRR split over thirty teams is more than 64.3 million per team, shouldn´t the cap be this number?

3) Which contracts and How much of current players contracts do the 300 million forked over by the NHL cover? For example, does Gorges get ALL of his cntract amount? And if aside from this amount players salaries must add up to 50/50 of HRR, does this mean that current players contracts will be prorated (i.e. lowered) so that the total sum of all contracts is 50/50 of HRR? If players salaries are prorated then teams not going over the cap shouldn´t be a problem, but if this is not the case i don´t see how almost every single team will be in serious cap trouble.

• HabFab says:

- #1 and #2 are transitional Salary Cap figures.
      – this is top figure, Cap floor will be $44 ml each of those two seasons
      – Escrow or salary roll backs are based on the 50-50% HRR (ie if HRR remains the same as last two seasons then Cap ceiling would be $63 ML and floor $47 ML. The average would be $55 ML or 50% of $3.3 BL = $1.65 BL / 30 teams = $55 ML. Ceiling and floor Caps are $8 ML to either side of average amount.
      – The “transitional make whole” fund of $250 ML is to be used over the first 3 years to help off set the losses players occur through the escrow roll back. The other $50 ML to PPP.
      – The escrow figure will be a percentage held back against all players salaries to ensure that the total of their salaries does not exceed the 50% HRR. They are saying next years escrow figure will be in the 16-20% range.
      – Hope that helps.

37. kirbhabs says:

So much for Gomez going to the Minors with this new clause…

Any player on a one-way contract who plays in the American Hockey League with a salary in excess of the NHL’s minimum salary plus $375,000 will have the excess amount charged against his team’s salary cap.

38. Habilis says:

For those wondering about PK, nothing can be done until Tuesday at the earliest.

“BrianWilde‏@BWildeCTV
    Just got confirmation from league source. GMs can’t do contract talk until Tuesday ratification.”

So, where were the Habs after 50 games last year? I believe they were still in the playoffs no? Of course, Therrien is no JM (not nearly as great) so what the heck… I am going full tank before season even begins.

40. habsfan0 says:

NHL lockout over.

Buffalo Bills sign Doug Marrone as their new HC.

Well, 1 out of 2 ain’t bad.

41. HammerHab says:

Agree on a CBA – check
    Force Bettman to resign – pending

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

42. munch17 says:

The key to our season will be the power play – and that means Markov. A strong power play completely changes the game.
    Last year we were weak at the point without Markov and weak on the right wing where our scoring chances were previously generated ( think Kovy and Cammy).
    That might be the opening for Gally.
    Last year they tried DD who I think is to small and weak to control the play.
    And please – no Pleks at the point!!

43. Habs64 says:

Happy it’s finally over. Go HABS!!!

HIO MEMBERS.
    What do you want me to do? Have me pick a date for our Summit in March? or pick a game in the playoffs, if we get in, or wait until next year! I will decide which way to go after your input.
    Thanks,
    IAN

Dear Ian & HIO Members,

The day we were all waiting for has finally arrived!

I am pleased to inform you that the National Hockey League and the Players Association have reached an agreement in principle on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. In the coming days, the new deal will be subject to a vote of approval from both the players and the team owners. We are very optimistic and enthusiastic about welcoming our players and our fans back to the Bell Centre in the near future.

We believe that the combined efforts of the League and the Players will ensure that the activities of the NHL resume on a solid foundation for the long-term.

On behalf of the entire Montreal Canadiens organization, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you, once again, for your support and understanding during this very difficult period. We are truly privileged to count on our passionate fans. At our end, we are already looking forward to devoting all our energies in preparing for the upcoming season.

Last summer, you had purchased group tickets for a game that was unfortunately canceled during the lockout. Within a few days, the group sales department will communicate with you and offer the possibility to take advantage of a ticket pre-sale prior to the general public on-sale. All details will follow by email.

Geoff Molson
    President and CEO
    Club de hockey Canadien

Go to this site for Summit information updates!
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

45. Chris says:

And my other question…

What happens in a shortened-season with Tomas Plekanec (a notorious hot-starter) and Erik Cole (a notorious slow starter).

Plekanec has been on fire in the Czech league (21 goals and 46 points in 25 games), but he usually has rough second halves. Over the past three seasons, here’s Plekanec’s October/November/December numbers:

120 GP, 29 G, 106 PTS

We’ve often been talking about him as one of the best centres in hockey in early January. But then his second halves arrive, where he often scores at a higher clip but his assists dry up:

120 GP, 35 G, 73 PTS

Over the past two seasons, where Cole has had good final totals, here is his start (October/November):

49 GP, 12 G, 25 PTS

And then there is the rest of the season (December – April):

115 GP, 49 G, 78 PTS

Cole’s goal-scoring rate almost doubles (from 0.24 to 0.43) and his points production increases nicely as well (0.51 to 0.68).

If Montreal has any delusions of being a playoff team, they need both Plekanec and Cole to be at the top of their games. Cole hasn’t been doing much during the lockout but seeming like a twit through the media, so I’m a bit worried that he will be very sluggish. Plekanec has played quite a bit, so I’m hoping that the lower level of the hockey has let him conserve some energy and he can come in roaring and put up some nice offensive totals right out of the gate.

• twilighthours says:

How do you know Cole hasn’t been doing much during the lockout?

• Chris says:

Valid point, although Cole hasn’t been playing in any leagues. He could very well have been scrimmaging his read end off with other locked out players.

• ooder says:

I feel that this little break between playing in europe and playing in the NHL is going to do wonders for Pleks, as for Cole.. after this lockout I don’t give two poops about him.. until he scores a goal at least :p

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

46. sreuel says:

So I guess all you fans who said back when you don’t care you won’t be back. I guess you will as all fans just can’t stay away. Owners will bring in higher prices for tickets to get there money back and you will pay. Not me I really don’t care anymore can’t even afford a game at those prices. More to life than hockey. How about other teams that can’t get fans to come they could be screwed and then what

47. kirbhabs says:

So buy outs are in the summer… how do we get subban signed and meet the cap?

I am all a flutter

Fearless Predictions:

We need cap money and times are hard…. lots of signings for next year too…

Big G stays in Junior this year and likely AHL next year

Gomez to the minors to allow Subban to sign his 5 million

Gionta and Kaberle bought out in the summer

No one really comes up from the AHL till next year

• HabFab says:

Gomez still would count against the cap in the minors so nah… ain’t going to happen.
      Canadiens have Cap money this season, it is next season that we have problems.

48. Fake says:

I think many have forgotten what our hopeless attitudes we’re for in the first place. “Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.” Enjoy the season boys.

49. Chuck says:

So when can we expect H/IO to post the “Subban Signs” thread?
    ___________________________________________________

• Habfan10912 says:

They’ve already started with the “Flyers contact PK” crap on twitter.

———————————–

• Chuck says:

He’s an RFA, so the Flyers (or any team) contacting Subban is ridiculous.

___________________________________________________

• Chris says:

Why? Any team is perfectly allowed to contact a restricted free agent. It is simply the compensation that might be a bit ludicrous.

The Flyers would be fools not to contact Subban, as he could be a building block defenceman for years if they were able to land him.

It is a moot point, because I don’t see Montreal letting Subban go. Subban wants to be in Montreal, and Montreal wants Subban. The details obviously have to be worked out, but he’s not going anywhere.

• commandant says:

No one is allowed to contact an RFA before the CBA is ratified on Tuesday.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chris says:

Ben: Any team could have contacted him before the lockout, and any team could contact him after the lockout.

But yes, nobody could contact him (including Montreal) during the lockout. So it is not his RFA status that renders this nonsense, but the lockout itself.

50. Habilis says:

Is it just me or is this site alot busier today?

IT’S OVER! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYA!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Dave Stubbs, Stu Cowan, Pat Hickey, Brenda Branswell and everyone else who contributes to running HI/O. You guys and gals did amazing work bringing us stories and links during this fiasco. Cheers to ya.

51. light_n_tasty says:

buh-bye Gomez and Borque…don’t let the door hit your useless butts on the way out!

Can’t wait to see the Habs with a healthy Markov and no dead weight!

52. Chris says:

I’m curious. What made people here a fan of the Montreal Canadiens?

Was it proximity for those that grew up in Montreal or, since the demise of the Nordiques, in the province of Quebec?

Was it the influence or indoctrination by parents or siblings that were Montreal Canadiens fans?

Were you drawn to the team because of its winning ways (obviously somewhat limited to those of us who became fans before 1993)?

I ask because of this frequent assertion that people cheer for the jersey and not the players. That is probably somewhat true for those of us who are established fans, but what about the next generation of Montreal Canadiens fans? Where are they going to come from, especially with the lack of a strong legacy that they can remember and pin their hopes on?

In my case, it was Mats Naslund and the 1985-86 Montreal Canadiens Stanley Cup victory when I was ten years old. My father, a Danish immigrant, was not a hockey fan, and my older brothers were Oilers fans because that was the team that all the kids of that age who were unattached cheered for in the early 1980’s (everybody loves to support the dominant team!).

Without kids, I find my interest in the Montreal Canadiens is a lot less than it was when I was growing up. The team has been mediocre for two decades, and there hasn’t been compelling hockey for many years. I still cheer for the team, but I freely admit that my eyes have gradually wandered around the league followig my favourite players, with the result that I care almost as much about the progress of the Anaheim Ducks (Koivu) and Vancouver Canucks (Higgins) as I do the Montreal Canadiens.

• HabFanSince72 says:

A Dane cheering for a Swede?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chris says:

I know, it was hard. That was my dad’s reaction too! :)

But at the time, the Danes weren’t producing hockey players so I cheered for any Scandinavians I could find. Swedes were obviously the most numerous, but I had a soft spot for Espen Knutsen in the 1990’s as well.

If Kim Staal had ever come to Montreal after he was drafted, I would have been in heaven! :)

• Hobie Hansen says:

I was 10-years-old when the Habs won in 86 as well. I grew up in Montreal and my parents, all their friends were huge Canadiens fans, as well as every kid I knew growing up. I was also lucky enough to be downtown Montreal when they won their cup in 93 and partied like a mad man!

I was basically a Habs fan at birth. I wore #10 in minor hockey because Guy Lafleur was the first player I knew.

Not to mention I went to school and summer camp with a lot of the Habs children and got to meet a lot of the legends as a kid growing up.

• Rugger says:

Grew up in Vermont in the 1960’s, we got the Habs games on TV, so that’s who I liked.

• ZepFan2 says:

Jean Beliveau made me a fan of the Canadiens.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

• savethepuck says:

For myself, and I am sure a lot of others, it is a tradition that has been passed down from generation to generation.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I was born inMontreal in 1961. When I started to show inetrest my Dad had a long history cheering for them as did my older brother. The 1970’s were great for Habs fans- they won the Stanley cup every year I was in high school. We do , I think, cheer for the jersey, we also cheer for those players who seem to play for the jersey too. And there is little comparable to being a Habs fan when things are rolling for them, spring in Montreal when they are in the playoffs.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I believe in truth, justice and beauty. So of course I support the Montreal Canadiens.

Growing up in Mtl helped.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• BJ says:

My father and grandfather were Habs fan. I got a Habs jersey and stick when I was three. My grandfather would cut out individual weekly photo/posters from a weekly newspaper with a supplement section called La Patrie. They were nice color shots of all the players which he mounted on cardboard for me. This was 1952, I was 4 years old at the time. I got to know all the players and the adults would amuse themselves by asking me who the 15-20 photos were. Shortly after that I remember my first games on TV. They would put me in bed around 7:30 and wake me up at 9:00 for the game which only normally showed the second period. It was a 1 hour broadcast. The rest you caught on the radio. My interest grew from there. Later I became a photographer 1968 and covered probably 600-700 + games at the Forum. Also my godfather had had season tickets with his family in the 1930’s and he told me stories about Morenz, Joliat etc. So I guess its part of my DNA now.

• HabsSwag says:

I’m a Habs fan for now lol.
      I try to stick to 1 team but doesnt last fore me lol.
      but now im back with the Habs cuz i like how loud the fans are at the games. and i get the most coverige of them

go Habs go

• Cal says:

I became a fan because of Beliveau during the era when the players were bigger than life. Now, I’m a fan of the team because players come and go, but the Habs are the Habs.

• Timo says:

A cruel twist of fate.

• HammerHab says:

this one. not from montreal and my parents were not into sports. went to my uncle’s one day to watch a leafs vs. habs game….he was cheering on the leafs and they ended up losing so I was a Habs fan from then on. so glad the leafs lost that game…..phew!

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• melski says:

I’m from the relative hockey backwater of Baltimore, growing up with the Clippers of the AHL. First NHL game I saw was on national television in January of ’69 – Montreal at Chicago. The rest, as they say, is history.

• A. Berke says:

Beliveau and the rest of the team when I came to Canada (McGill) in 1965.

cheers to what’s left of this season.

Ali B.

• habsinthegap says:

I grew up watching HNIC every Saturday night during the 60’s when most of my family were Leafs fans, sprinkled with the occasional Habs fan. You had to be one or the other in my family because they were the only Canadian-based teams.

In 1967 I was 8 years old and one of my brothers was putting pressure on me to decide on one team or the other. I still remember lying in my bed, listening to the final game of the cup final on CBC radio (wow there’s a throwback eh?). When the final buzzer sounded, and the Leafs had won, I was surprised at how upset I was. I realized then I was deep down already a Habs fan, and have been so ever since.

Kind of a good move, when you consider the two teams’ respective histories since that historic night.

• neumann103 says:

Chris

I grew up in kingston in the 70s, halfway between Montreal and the greatest team ever, and the Harold Ballard era leafs. My first hockey memories were of yhe Ken Dryden rookie miracle playoffs. History kind of made the choice for me.

I actually kind of lived a version of the Roch Carriere story , when for xmas one year my older brother and i were each given sweaters. He never played at all nor cared about hockey, but he got the habs jersey. I got the leafs.

I started playing organized hockey in 1973 and my team wore leaf colours. So i picked 14 for Dave Keon. When i started playing as an adult 27 years later i was handed 14. Serendipity. Then Tomas Plekanec, my current favourite player, adopts the number.

“Et le but!”