Teeing up the draft

• No qualifying offer to Pouliot

Emerson Etem is a hot prospect from the golden state – Pat Hickey

Much suspense surrounds Canadiens

TSN’s predictions

• Who the heck is Tyler Toffoli? Scott Cullen’s mock draft

Top Russian prospects

Boone blogs live, at 7 p.m.

And, if your stomach can take it, Sergei sounds off.

1. Mr_MacDougall says:

Ohhhhhhh The “Grumpy Old Men” line… Kirk Muller, John MacLea, and Mike Keane. They were one surly bunch!

2. pic1983 says:

Well filatov was just a question of situation.  This guy wants to play in the NHL, hes just an offensive player who wasnt capable of playing for hitchcock, and the situation spiralled out of control.  Zherdev was just bad (actually, another botched columbus pick).

The only russian who I can see that truly created an issue for the NHL is Radulov. He is the only top talent prospect that I can think of who actually snubbed the NHL.

3. ZepFan2 says:

Finally, somebody complaining about the Halak trade.

Only silence and one of (if not) THE greatest goalie to EVER play for the Habs is gone…sigh.

End sarcasm.

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

4. jbroderi says:

Listen, you’ve made your point that you like Halak. You’ve made your point that you don’t like the Habs management.  Fine.  You might even have some good arguments but the fact is that you gotta move on, for Christ’s sake!!  You just keep going on and on and on.  We gotta deal with what we got now, so try an opinion on a trade or a free agent or something.  It’s getting a little tiresome and annoying, almost to the point where I think some of you guys want the Habs to fail so you can cruise around saying “I told you so”.

Suck it up and move on!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

5. thorandresson says:

I’m sure they’d like to, but can’t afford to.  And even though Moore hasn’t won a cup, I think he fits the mold of that kind of player, hope they keep him.

Wasn’t it Gainey who assembled a line of Muller/Skrudland/Carbonneau in Dallas (or something along those lines)?

6. TomNickle says:

Considering his talent he should be a 60 point/year guy minimum.

That’s on him, not Habs management, coaches or anyone else.

7. zooziff says:

Agree about Pouliot.

Your’re probably right about AK as well.
    Personally speaking though I’m tired of waiting for this guy to be
    consistent player. He just looks so disinterested at times. We all know
    he has the size and skills to perform, that’s not the question though.
    Why hasn’t he?

8. Mr_MacDougall says:

Na, I just keep positive, it’s like I had a handful of prozack.. I do like a lot about the team.. I wish they would have stayed with the strategy of signing prior cup winners.. I’d love to see one more bottom six forward with a ring.

9. TomNickle says:

First, I think you meant the Hunter brothers.

Second, you can’t make accusations that the team has treated him unfairly and then proceed to say for “whatever reasons”.

If you’re going to say something like that, give me an example of when or how he was treated unfairly.

There is no though process involved in a HabFanSince72 post.

So it should be: “Go post another worthless piece of mindless cheerleading on HIO, buddy”.

11. thorandresson says:

really?  Dagenais couldn’t skate, the only thing he could do was score cause he had a good shot and he had his buddy Ribs feeding him.

Pouliot has a way better rounded game, he’s a great skater, can bust a move or 2 and of course can snipe them.

12. pic1983 says:

give me a break….talk about OVERexagerating

13. Mr_MacDougall says:

we need Oleg Petrov to play with Gomez and Gionta.

Another zombie.

15. thorandresson says:

You have to admit he played well for the Habs in his first year

16. Mr_MacDougall says:

I hope the Habs give Pouliot time to develop.. If he ends up being a career 3rd liner he will be amazing in that role.. provided he accepts it and plays defensively. He has size, speed, puck handling.. and much like Recchi when he was here, he misses the net far too much, and always on the far side allowing the opposition to break out on the transition.. if Pouliot can hit the net more often with his bullet shot, he will be a very servicable player.

17. Jbird says:

Good for him.

18. arcosenate says:

Well I meant more than just Pouliot, but I also don’t think he’s a flop just yet, he still has time to figure it out.

19. HabFanSince72 says:

There is no cheer in either  HardHabits or Tony242.

So it should be: “Go be a grey cloud on a Leaf site, buddy”.

20. Jbird says:

Tony, it sounds like you want it to fail?  Sure thats not the case though.

Besides that there is a major difference between us – sometime smart but normally reactionary irrational fans – and a person who wears the CH.  It is a team, and whether SK likes it or not his role is to play hockey – thats the only  way he can help the team.  What he said in that article in no way helps the situation.

Name a real leader in team sports who goes out and says BS like that.  Chad Ochocinco, Terrell Owens, are the athletes that come to mind when I think of remarks like that – and the only reason they come to mind is cause they are very good players –  probably hundreds of more players who are nobodies (like SK is at this point) say the same type of crap and are forgotten.

21. TomNickle says:

It’s his job as the player’s agent to do that.

What’s the defense here?

Late for team bus.

Didn’t report for work.

Rude to teammates.

Showed no effort in the playoffs.

I can go on all day Jonnie.  He played well for London, not the Habs.

22. WarHero says:

It clear that no one will ever get through to you. Debate closed.

23. Mr_MacDougall says:

Gross… Can anybody say a return to the Eastern Confrence finals?

24. pmaraw says:

ya so he can trade away our 1st round garunteed franchise player this year and next?  you like burke?  he’s a baffoon, all he makes are bad moves in toronto.  they got kessel so they could finish second last instead of last?  oooooh way to screw the bruins….

25. thorandresson says:

go cheer for the Leafs buddy

26. TomNickle says:

I’m not gonna go looking for audio for you.  I’ve read it, in quotations.  Go find it yourself.

And most notably, I heard no denial of it from Jaro Halak, Allan Walsh(who confirmed it actually).

27. Le Jadester says:

Two sides to every story Sir.

I’m sure D. Meehan could counter all 5 of your points with a different perspective.

Habs, OLE !

In the last 12 years only 1 team that wasn’t top 4 over-all won the Cup, and tha was Pittsburgh at 9th over-all. Finishing tops in the Conference does matter unless you’re team is made up of non NAG players, Detroit being the only exception.

29. PeterStone says:

i agree .. if you go high risk, there better be high reward.  Russians are high risk.

Not sure if you saw the TSM Draft show yesterday ( that mock draft was not well done BTW ) but, they had an interesting stat .. i think it was 6 Russians drafted in the first round in the last 5 or 6 drafts combined.  They talked about Columbus with Zherdev and Filatov … disaster.

30. thorandresson says:

you forgot to mention how he requested a trade after training camp.

I think it’s especially funny to see people on this site defending him and actually taking him seriously, implying that his sentiments must be similar to others in the team, even though he’s the bad apple and no one except for his brother seem to like him on the team.

31. pmaraw says:

pouliot reminds me a lot of another guy that used to play for the habs…  dagenais

32. Bugs says:

If Sergei could back up his talk on the ice, I would love’m fit to split.

Always has a soft spot for guys who don’t mince around the straight dope. (like a certain online news service for example, harumph…).

“P’t-être qu’y m’aime pas’a face.”

I love it; I can picture it!

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

You gotta love the Habs new Minister of Propaganda and I quote:

Gauthier said the goal has been to keep the core of the team that reached the Eastern Conference final.

THE CORE was Halak and he has been traded.

I wish one day the Habs would hire someone like Burke who at least has a mind to speak with.

The Habs made enough money last playoffs that they can avoid them for a few seasons. Can anybody say draft lottery 2011?

34. Chris says:

I don’t think that the author of the article writes the title of the article…I believe that the titles are usually the work of the copy editors.  If that is the case, people might want to go a bit easy on Pat Hickey for the misleading headline.

35. TomNickle says:

$3 million for 1 season?

You are delusional.

Seek help.

36. Xtrahabsfan says:

SO WHEN DESHARNAIS makes the Habs this year Gauthier will have his and Gaineys wish   … a goalieless Habs with the smallest lineup ever,MORON!…..HEY Molsons boys, up yours!

37. PeterStone says:

i am like you . fan since the 70s … live them Habs .. I thing Gainey was a great player and a miserable GM.  I will give Gauthier the benefit of the doubt.  So far he has

1- traded for Moore … ( like it )

2- started neg. a contract with Pleks in season instead of waiting and losing him for nada. ( positive too )

3- made a trade for a player he knew he wouldnt be able to (or didnt want to)  keep ( Halak ) while he still had value.  Actually I think he did pretty good on that deal.  Obviously, he gave the best player right now, but we’ll see how it plays out.

38. habs001 says:

latts because of his attitude had to be traded…pouliot is a project both are 23 but latts has produced 73 goals and 122 total points and pouliot 24 goals and 42 total points….pouliot had one goal in his last 32 games….pouliot has played a lot fewer games….pouliot will be 24 in the fall…if he does not produce this year than i think he will be a career 3rd or 4th liner at best

39. mike g says:

You think they tell him, “Hey, go into the lineup and do absolutely nothing. Be invisible so that we look dumb, and you look useless. It’s bad for both of us, so go out there and do it or else..”.

I really don’t think so. When a guy like Tom Pyatt with 1/10 the skills of SK comes in a takes his spot after 1 good shift, it tell syou alot about SK’s character and willingness to fight for anything.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

40. TomNickle says:

Coffee all over my computer desk due to laughter.

Good one.

Seriously.  Let’s recap a short list.

1. Sent to the Dogs out of training camp for a refusal to listen to the coach.

2. Refused to report to the Dogs and refused to speak with the GM for two weeks(I believe it was 2 weeks).

3. Seemingly gets his act together.  Gets back to the big club, playing important minutes.  But then……starts to get lazy, dropped to the 4th line, nothing improves, just gets worse, gets scratched.

4. Refuses to take the extra ice that the backup goalie and scratches ALL TAKE PART IN.  Gets asked by a teammate whey he wasn’t taking part, says “mind your own business”.

5. Gets a reprieve and gets dressed for a game in the Flyers series and brings an effort that Kovalev would call lazy on his worst day.

That’s just this season.

Bullied by management?  Please tell me how this player was bullied by ANYONE in the organization.

41. Le Jadester says:

Yes I have a London bias. No doubt about it.  I like guys like Perry, Kane, Nash and even Bolland this year in the Finals etc.  (In fact I think the Sutter Bros. are probably one of the best in recent years for developing NHL talent – but again, yes that’s my bias.  I think that’s where most of the fun comes from when being an amateur sports fan)

As for SK, I’ve watched every single Habs game for the last 5 years. I’ve seen and been aware of everything the guy has done since his first NHL game with us. IMO, Yes I think the organization has treated him “unfairly” for whatever reasons.  I also can see how people don’t like him and think he’s not good for our team (although I think the media in Montreal is also partially to blame b/c their goal is to sell and profit from Soaps like this one and SK the villain creates some interest and people always believe what the media say because any alternative point of view would be absurd). As well, the last two coaches we’ve had, have been incompetent with him IMO.  Poor asset management.

Habs, OLE !

42. pic1983 says:

Unless his name is burmistov, and he somehow manages to slip down to where we are selecting.  Only russian id gamble on.  Id like to see us take petrovic if hes available.

43. PeterStone says:

I hope not.  I would be surprised if they did … but, hell, you never know.

44. RetroMikey says:

Well, for once Sergei is right,  we aren’t getting any better with this club now that we traded our MVP Halak away when we should have traded Price.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

45. likehoy says:

smithers is gainey?

46. mike g says:

Man I hate the Sox though. They remind me so much of the LEAFS. Always whining about their misfourtunes and jealous of the most successful teams in pro sports history.

They can argue all they want that the Yanks buy their championships, but they’re allowed to. And with the amount of money they Sox make, they can easily spend the same amount on their players. Their owner simply chooses not to.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

47. MD says:

What if the guy is bullied by the management?

48. ed lopaz says:

I am not a fan of the Habs current management team.

I am a huge fan of the team – and have been since the ’70’s.

I don’t trust Gauthier. He looks like Mr. Burns from The Simpson’s.

49. Malreg says:

I think people are reading way too much into Pouliot not getting a qualifying offer YET.  Even if he doesn’t figure into the future plans, they will qualify him.  He is an asset, and you don’t let that walk away to free agency for nothing.

He deserves a full season in Montreal before his fate is decided.  I think he can be a consistent 20 goal scorer in the NHL, and those do not grow on trees, especially in the Canadiens organization.  That’s why Andrei Kostitsyn probably isn’t going anywhere either.

For everybody that says the Habs should dump AK along with his brother for a bag of pucks or a random draft pick, answer this:  Who takes his spot on the top 6?  Eller? He has played 7 games in the NHL, and has played as a Center his whole life, not a very smart idea to stick him on the wing in his first real NHL experience.  He’ll go 10 games without scoring and people will be saying to get rid of him too.  A lot of Centers hate playing the wing, they feel like you’re standing still way too much, and it affects their performance (See Jeff Carter in the playoffs).

There are not very many scoring wingers in free agency this year either.  We can’t afford Kovalchuk, and Frolov is just a clone of Andrei Kostitsyn, except more expensive.

50. GrimJim says:

Gui couldn’t have been sent to Hamilton, he would have had to pass waivers first and then again when he was recalled. it’s likely that another team would have picked him up, if not when he went down then when he was called up again and the other team would have had top pay only half his salary.

That’s one of the problems with rushing a player, you burn through their waiver exemption period most quickly.

51. WarHero says:

Completely agree with you :) Good show!

52. Jbird says:

Prediction – Habs do not draft a Russian Prospect with first pick.

53. Got2BHabs says:

Halak asked for more ice time because he was tired of playing second fiddle to a guy who has not earned ice time, but rather given it due to the fact that he was the 5th overall pick. After watching Price for 3 years, yes he did ask for more ice time FIRST, and if he wasn’t to be granted the ice time that he clearly EARNED, then he asked Bob to find him a new home where the organization won’t give a rats behind about “pedigree” but rather work ethic and results. This is seen as a cardinal sin to all the Halak non-supporters.

54. TomNickle says:

Management is no better?  Because they’ve trade a player or players that you wanted in the lineup.

And you’re in a better position to evaluate the team and its players than they are.

55. RS says:

He has the talent to do it. Sure, some teams would be willing to take him off our hands. But that is very different from saying that a GM would give up any significant assets to get him.

56. TomNickle says:

Nor should they.  If Halak had been given $4 million this offseason and came back next year and struggled.  What happens if Price reclaims that #1 spot.  Does he demand to get back in the net or traded again?  YES, ABSOLUTELY.

57. RS says:

Hey, I agree! They Habs will need him especially with Markov hurt. And one more year of Hamrlik while Subban develops is probably about right. Then next summer his contract is up and the Habs will be happy to have that cap space freed up (not least because Markov will then be a UFA). Absolutely, hold on to Hamrlik for now!

58. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

59. TomNickle says:

Poor man’s Weber.  Which is AWESOME.

60. likehoy says:

so many fouls in the brasil v.s. portugal game that the commentator likened the game to an ice hockey game.

61. ed lopaz says:

yes – Burns would be great to have.

62. Storm Man says:

It is called the business of sports, it is very cold at times how teams treat players like a piece of meat, but they get paid very very well to play hockey. But for you to call the Habs management classless is a little low.

63. TomNickle says:

I’m not a red sox fan either.

Went there the day Habs played the Bruins in game 7 of the first round Zednik’s last season when Raycroft was tending the Bruins net and Theodore played lights out.

Boston Marathon was the same day.

Red Sox won 5-4 on an error by Matsui in the bottom of the 8th when he dropped a routine fly ball.

Kevin Brown for the yankees(who has arms the size of fenway by the way)

Bronson Arroyo for the Sox.

Crowd started a YOU-USE-STEROIDS chant when Giambi went up to the plate and he knocked one about 450 feet mid chant.  HILARIOUS.

T-shirts making the rounds that day were Pay-Rod and Gay-Rod.

He had just been traded to the yankees after the Sox debacle and the fans hated him something fierce for it.(not that they still don’t).

64. Jbird says:

Thats a major issue.

65. ZepFan2 says:

“The wild were certainly clearer when it came to conveying the message.”

Yeah because it’s soooooo hard to understand, “Go to the net and stand there!”, in two languages, no less.

Poor Latendresse

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

66. WarHero says:

He asked to be traded last year. Management never forget’s those things :)

67. mike g says:

Sergei should worry about buying expensive clothes, cars, girls, and partying right now..

Because with his overall attitude and work ethic, he won’t be employed in the NHL for a long time. The KHL might give him a shot, but they don’t always pay their players….it’s Russia, you know…

I really hope he’s having fun with the money he has now.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

68. Jbird says:

It could be argued . . . . Its still the dumbest argument I’ve heard today but it could be argues.  PK fizzled – Nonsense.   PK: exhausted young kid who has not played his rookie season yet was outmatched and the Flyers found some holes.

69. ed lopaz says:

too funny. :-)

70. mike g says:

I’ve never been.

I’m a diehard Yankee’s fan. There’s something about the whole city of Boston that pisses me off. I hate the Bruins, Sox, Pats, and Celtics.

I’ve said ti numerous times that because of the hate I have of the Red Sux, I’ll never visit Fenway. I know it’s full of “history”, but it’s mostly a history of losing for 80 years, lol….

Anyways, let’s not get into the huge Red Sox vs Yankees debate but yea….I’m sure theie popcorn’s good, it’s America..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

71. Rugger says:

I am hoping I make it home in time to catch the draft tonight.  We host a Rugby 7’s tourney tomorrow, 48 teams, so i will be spending afternoon/evening lining and prepping 4 pitches.  At least it’s sunny and not humid today and with the Habs drafting late i shouldn’t miss their pick.

72. arcosenate says:

It was weird, Pouliot Exits CH Picture. Yet the GM says he’ll receive a qualifying offer Monday.

Maybe they’re trying to get the 15th pick from Florida.

73. nick says:

Sergei sounds like half the people here on HabsInsideOut…

74. mike g says:

SK isn’t the ideal anything…

It’s funny how management is so pathetic, yet they were able to put together a team that finished higher than PIT, WSH, DET, and a bunch of Cup favorites last year.

But, I guess that it was solely Halak’s exceptional play that led to the great result, right? Cuz Halak did afterall score 13 goals, block 350 shots, assisted on 15 goals, etc….So not only did he play well in nets, but Halak also led the playoffs in every single offensive category……Oh boy…..

And you know what, SK had a ton of chances. He was benched more last year than any other player because he never, ever responded to it. When it cam playoff time and we dressed him for 1 game against Philly, that was his chance to make something happen. It didn’t have to be a goal, assists, last minute shot block or anything. EVen a little scrum or a fight with a guy like Briere or Giroux that were killing us with their goals. Try to disturb the oppositions best players if you can’t score goals yourself.

He had a chance to be noticed and be a factor. But, he just floated and did nothing. If I know I’m in the coaches doghouse, I’ll do anything to be noticed. Heck, I’ll slash Pronger on the wrist and risk getting a beatting.

But, at least I’ll do something to change the game..SK doesn’t play like that, hence why he’s not even worth a 75th round pick.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

75. TomNickle says:

Yeah, I knew he had a child.

He won’t be getting under $3 million on this new deal.

Which is why Burns and Schultz may be moved.