Teeing up the draft

• No qualifying offer to Pouliot

Emerson Etem is a hot prospect from the golden state – Pat Hickey

Much suspense surrounds Canadiens

TSN’s predictions

• Who the heck is Tyler Toffoli? Scott Cullen’s mock draft

Top Russian prospects

Boone blogs live, at 7 p.m.

And, if your stomach can take it, Sergei sounds off.

1. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I believe that AK has great value, you know he can get you 20-25 goals without much effort, and at 3 million for only one year, it’s not much of a cost or gamble for a team to take a chance on a guy who just may need a change of scenery to tally 40 goals, which he has the talent to do.

2. avatar_58 says:

Whaaa….Subban fizzled??

Wow tough crowd

3. ed lopaz says:

Well, certainly, that was the Habs side of things. They are quite smooth at Public Relations.

The habs screwed up the file. The kid was never SUCH A GREAT STAR that he should be exempt from training

in Hamilton. The Habs kept thinking “its not that tough” – just go to the net.

But if that’s not your instinct, you need to helped, taught, trained, right??

Guillaume had “soft” instincts – he played soft in the Q – and the Q is partially to blame for this as well.

Note to Habs – please don’t draft big scorers from the Q and expect that they can play tough NHL hockey without any time in Hamilton.

he played in Drummondville with Derrinck Brassard – Brassard was tremendously skilled; Guillaume was simply the beneficiary of being on that line.

Kind of like Esposito playing with Radulov – Radulov was the huge star of that line.

Sergei and Gagne playing with Kane in London – Kane was the huge star.

Coming out of Junior, check his numbers, Guillaume was good but far from great.

Now the Habs have learned their lesson.

That’s why PK was in Hamilton all year.

4. HabFanSince72 says:

I don’t think anyone will argue against the statement that we f***ed up with Gui.

Thing is, no one (and I mean no one) was saying we had traded away the next John Leclair when he went to Minny.

5. WarHero says:

Yes and No, Halak never showed a poor work ethic. We can NEVER fault him of that. He simply requested to be traded to another team. We allowed him to prove himself and also granted his request by trading him to a team where he will be the #1, no questions asked and got two very good prospects in return :)

————————————————————————

6. StevieRay says:

who ?? never heard of them

7. mike g says:

SK is a bum…

There’s no reason to defend him. He’s had his chances, he blew them, spit in the face of the organization numerous times, etc…

I’d love to see him, and possibly his brother, dealt tonight for a fresh bag of buttery popcorn at the Staples Center.

At least the Habs would know exactly what they’re getting in the trade. With the bag of popcorn, you get what you see.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

8. McCluskey says:

This morning on Sportsnet, when they were reporting on the Habs’ qualifying offers, their closed captioning identified SK as “Sergei Catastrophe.”  Can software make Freudian slips?

When they tried to correct the error, he came up as “Sergei Kostopoulos.”  Now that’s a player I’d love to have on my team – someone with the skills of Sergei K and the attitude of Tommy K.  Then again, what if he had Tom’s skills and Sergei’s attitude? Yikes!

9. Mr_MacDougall says:

Honestly, I have no idea what he is doing in Minny, I can’t sit through a Wild game.. a gaurenteed nap for me lol

One thing that has not been mentioned is the impact of being traded on a players attitude, there would be no since of entitlement in Minny. He has to earn his ice time I would suspect.

10. ed lopaz says:

Guillaume could have been sent to Hamilton to be trained to change his game. Habs / employer chose not to do this.

11. TomNickle says:

From what I understand all they wanted him to do was go to the net more and develop better foot speed.

Hardly an outrageous request.  I think they were very patient with him.

And if he doesn’t try, why reward him Ed?

12. Mr_MacDougall says:

Well stated, I didn’t follow Gui enough, but I can definately see how AHL development time would have been beneficial, especially for structural changer in his style. I do remember thinking “why the hell si this chump playing up here, he is huge and will not hit”

13. ed lopaz says:

never say that. if goatier gets shot tomorrow, you’re the leading suspect. :-)

14. Mr_MacDougall says:

People like Tom Pyatt, myself included, because he lays it all on the line. He is young and has hockey sense, kills penalties (which keeps us from using our stars on the PK) he is cheap and has potential. He also wins battles for the puck all over the ice. Nobody is saying he is a top 6 player, but if you can get a solid bottom six player that scores 5-10 goals for well under a million, why not do it?

15. TomNickle says:

So many errors.

I’m sorry, but Subban did not fizzle.  If anything, he got better defensively.

Pyatt- if you don’t think he was an impact player I don’t know what to say.  In what we was he not a beast on the forecheck, on the walls, on the penalty kill.  Far from interchangeable.

16. Storm Man says:

Here’s a number for your Halak problem 416-565-6111. Hope it helps you.

17. pic1983 says:

Maybe getting rid of sergei would actually be the best thing for Andrei.  That would be a huge distraction and burden lifted off his shoulders.

18. ed lopaz says:

When the Habs drafted Latendresse they knew what he was.

The whole city knew Guillaume and who he was. he was a scorer.

he needed to be trained to become a power forward, and the employer should be offering the training.

It was the Habs decision NOT to send him to Hamilton to learn how to change his game / train him

That’s not an easy task at the NHL level, playing 10 or 11 minutes a night.

The habs blew the Latendresse file as much as Guillaume did.

Sometimes the employer screws up as well.

19. Chuck says:

Yeah, if only Halak had learned to keep his mouth shut…

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

20. pic1983 says:

But thats just it, Gui adapted his game, just for the wild brass not montreals.  Some of his goals were snipes, but a lot of them were wrap-arounds, turn arounds, rebounds, and net crashing.

Hes not exactly thomas holmstrom in front of the net, but hes certainly playing like a power forward for minny.

21. Mr_MacDougall says:

I agree with everything except the Hamrlik concept.

Hamrlik cant be moved, we need him, he plays hard and has had success. Our management does not want to move him and what if we move him? we unload 5.5mill and then have to sign a replacement.. 3.5-5 mill and at what term? next year there is an abundance of UFA’s so I would expect us to keep Hamrlik and replace his contract next year. I am not a fan of the 5.5, but I do like Hamrlik and he will be a great partner for PK this season.

22. G-Man says:

Please, ed, even Goatier wouldn’t have been that stupid after a Cup win. Someone in Montreal would have sought him out and shot him. :)

23. pic1983 says:

Pouliot came over from minnesota and, expectedly, got off to a hot start trying to impress his new team.  Same thing with subban.  What happened to both of them? They both fizzled after a while.  Not many of our young players actually improved under Martin this year.  It looks to me like theres communication issues.

also, whats with everyones love affair with tom pyatt? Like hes been decent for us, but everyone talks about him like Martin made some sort of star out of him.  He was just another interchangeable piece of the puzzle last year, he wasnt exactly an impact player for us at either ends of the ice.  He more kind of hung on for dear life in a 4th line role.

24. TomNickle says:

Come on, treated unfairly?

You’re from London right?  No bias there I suppose.

25. Mr_MacDougall says:

What a downer!

26. HabFanSince72 says:

In a way he is self-employed.

And he will do pretty well this year I think.

27. TomNickle says:

Why does the race card get played with every player who is unsuccessful in a Habs uni.

Total crap.  You’re spot on.

Brent Sutter didn’t play Latendresse in the WJHC because he’s from Western Canada.  Gimmie a flippin break.

Sergei is misunderstood.  What a joke.

28. Mr_MacDougall says:

That is what seperates the solid NHLers from the marginal ones. A professional athlete must show some capacity to adapt his style of play, otherwise there would be no need for coaches. Change his game? HIS game? well it is a team game and there was a role available for him here, and he quit on that role. It is not so much changing his game as it was positioning, you’re big, and will never be a top line player, so learn to adapt, kinda like Holmstrom and you can be successful, but Gui pussied out and now is in minny.

29. pic1983 says:

Based on what i’ve seen of Gui in a wild uniform, he seems to be playing exactly how the habs wanted him to play.  Only thing is, when it comes to coaches, its one thing to TELL a player to play a certain way, and another thing to SHOW a player how to play a certain way.  The wild were certainly clearer when it came to conveying the message.

A lot of players seem to complain about communication issues with habs management, and all things considered, it seems clearly evident that there are communication issues between management and the players.

30. Le Jadester says:

I don’t think anyone is defending SK.  In fact, my perception from what I’ve read in HI/O and other places throughout this year, is that the majority of Montrealers would probably like to see him and his brother publicly hung in the middle of Centennial Plaza.

I think its more of him being treated unfairly by the organization because of his talent and mostly the potential that he has.

Habs, OLE !

31. TomNickle says:

Scoring at a rate that he did when he first got here was the worst thing that could’ve happened to him in my opinion.

He still isn’t conditioned to play a full season either.  I just know that I didn’t read reports about him complaining or throwing the whole team under the bus after he was relegated to 5 minutes/game.

I can’t say the same for the others.

On Latendresse, if I’m an electrician and my boss asks me to help out a drywaller, I do it.  I listen to the guy who signs my cheques and I don’t bitch about it.  If Lats wants to do things his was, he should become self employed.

32. RS says:

I’d be pretty surprised if the Habs don’t qualify Pouilot.

The real question marks are the K brothers and Moore. I don’t think Sergei can stay around. Andrei seems to be still liked by the organization. But what happens when they trade his brother? Will Andrei become even less motivated and more tentative in his play? We shouldn’t kid ourselves about the trade value of these guys. Both have talent, but GMs don’t excatly line up to grab guys that appear (whether actually true or not) to be headcases.

I think they would like to re-sign Moore, but is there room? Not likely unless they move some other contracts.

A lesser issue is Hamrlik. It would be nice to get rid of his contract, but the Habs will need him while Markov is hurt. At least there is only one year left. He might be traded at the deadline, especially if the Habs are out of playoff contention or the young Hab defencemen look solid.

33. avatar_58 says:

What did Chipchura do/say? I’ve never heard a thing about him sulking or “expecting” ice time. You know something I don’t?

34. ed lopaz says:

1/2 god, Halak is better on in St louis. the fans loved him, but Gauthier and Gainey did NOT.

If you’re a Halak fan, you can be happy for him.

we could have won the cup, and he still would have been traded.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Sensationalizing was when they linked Sergei and Andrei to the mob, this is another translation I found linked from an interview Sergei did in Russian, it’s not flattering in the English translation either.

Sergei just proved his utter lack of maturity, plain and simple. Let him be someone else’s problem.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. WarHero says:

I love Sergei when he is on his game, both physically and mentally, but his displayed level of maturity and poor work ethic are just a cancer to have around a team. Either he commits to turning it around or he get traded.

————————————————————————

37. ed lopaz says:

jury is still out on pouliot, tom.

something is wrong there.

I want him to succeed – he’s got the tools.

but I’m not sure what’s going on.

38. HabFanSince72 says:

” Some French reproters love to sensationalize and Sergi was never a
    favorite – taking up a spot that could be filled by one of their
    beloved.”

What bullshit.

39. ed lopaz says:

Sergei should have been a rock star.

He was not meant to play a team sport.

But theres a difference between Guillaume and Sergei.

Guillaume was asked to CHANGE HIS GAME at the NHL level, and he struggled with it.

He pleaded with the Habs to let him play on the 1st or 2nd line and just score goals.

He was always a perimeter scorer – never a guy who crashed the net, never played the body.

Guillaume was a scorer, a sniper.

The Habs wanted him to change his game and become more of a power forward.

In Minnesota they’ve asked him to play “his game” and score.

Its working.

40. G-Man says:

It’s always management’s fault that SK can’t make the team bus on time. Remember, they have to cowtow to little arrogant $hits with no sense of the privilege it is to play in the NHL and make millions.

41. TomNickle says:

All of this crap defending Sergei Kostitsyn.

Look no further than the career paths of Tomas Plekanec compared to Latendresse, Kostitsyn and Chipchura.

Plekanec, handled by the same coaches blossomed.  I will argue that it’s due to his accountability and desire to learn and improve.

He admits when he isn’t going well enough.

What did the others do?  Sulked, complained, pouted.

Pleks made a commitment to improve all facets of his game and to be strong mentally.  What did the others do?

Now Pleks hits a payday and a guaranteed roster spot in the NHL for the next decade, what does Sergei have?

Martin doesn’t seem to have communication issues with Pyatt or Pouliot.  It doesn’t look like he has any communication issues with Subban.

Gee, maybe those players are mature and want to improve instead of resting on their laurels and expecting the World to be handed to them on a silver platter by a sharp dressed butler.

42. avatar_58 says:

I saw him in the AHL too – this year in hamilton. You could see just how little he cared. He eventually pulled his head from his anus, but he sulks when he doesn’t get his way.

43. aemarchand11 says:

Sergei doesnt like Price because he called him out in the playoffs for leaving practice early. And Latendresse was probably the nicest guy in the room so Sergei didnt have a problem with him. Think about if you were on a team with someone, hes still immature.

44. TomNickle says:

For every time Price gave a glare to his defensemen, Halak threw his arms in the air.

45. Storm Man says:

you keep saying the samething over and over again. Get over it your mancrush plays for the Blues now. I cheer for the team not just one player you should try it sometime.

46. warriorhockey says:

Wholeheartedly agree – see my post above.

47. warriorhockey says:

I’d love to see a reliable translation of the interview.  Some French reproters love to sensationalize and Sergi was never a favorite – taking up a spot that could be filled by one of their beloved.  If the Halak comment is accurately translated I think it is likely a good reflection of how other players also feel.  The team seemed to play better in front of Halak – no stares from the goalie after a defensive lapse/miscue resulted in a goal – more taps on the pads after a big save.  Listen to the players comments about Halak after his wins – and even his losses.  It’s time the organization had a hard look at itself and its grooming of young talent.  Boucher and others have the better approach with young players who have grown up with very different values  and expectations about interpersonal communications than players of a generation ago.

I don’t have the time to do this but if someone was to look at Sergi’s minutes and the game situations he played in and relate them to his points and +/- his performance was not that bad.  I saw him play in junior, in the AHL and NHL and he’s got the goods to be a gritty playmaker when paired with some scoring talen – makes beautiful passes, carries the puck well – and with duty on special teams.

Best wishes Sergi.  I’m sure your huge disappointment with your time in Montreal is only a reflection of your excitement at being drafted by the Canadiens.  I hope its been a learning experience.  I’ll give a good cheer if some night you put a couple past Price – as long as the Habs win 3-2.

48. The Cat says:

The media has some blame as well. The way they coax the reader toward their opinion. Not that I like SK but with an intro like: “If your stomach can take it” it aint exactly objective…I also remember the way Leclair was portrayed as a big dumb hick from Vermont, Stephane Richer maybe had aids from sleeping with strippers etc. Or if a player is liked by them and asks to play more he is competitive, if he isnt liked hes a trouble maker…If hes in the stands and smiles like Ryder was its cause he doesnt care, if he frowns too much he isnt taking his lumps for the team…Its a very fine line.

49. notbigbird says:

There’s enough blame for all, including SK, but neither Carbo nor JM are known for being great communicators. Sometimes, you have to build bridges rather than throw up roadblocks.

50. pmaraw says:

carey did call him out when he didnt skate with the practice squad :o

51. twocents says:

Nice leap Mr. Hickey.

Do you know something you’re not sharing?

52. TomNickle says:

You sure you aren’t SK?

Blame all of his coaches, not responsibility for him for not listening, work hard, getting extra practice time.

Right, it’s all Martin’s fault, and Carbo’s fault, and Gainey’s fault, and Gauthier’s fault.

Hell, why don’t we stick some blame on Carey Price for this.

I’m sure Scott Gomez helped ruin Sergei’s career too.

53. Le Jadester says:

Good for SK !

At the end of the day its business for all parties involved.  SK’s gonna get paid somewhere else for things not working out in Montreal and our management team will also continue to get paid for continuing to ruin young talent.  I have to find me a job were I can eff up all the time, underachieve, make irrational decisions and still continue to be rewarded for it………..and I’m refering to JM more than SK. IMO he’s more to blame, but Carbo can also be blamed as well.  Therefore, the blame meter should look like this:

50 % JM, 30 % GC, 10 % BG/PG and 10 % SK

At least he spoke his mind.  Love it or hate it, what’s he supposed to say ?  “Thanks JM for sticking it up my behind all year long……I appreciated it.” I’d love to do it again but…….

Must say, that he’s been the most interesting Habs player for me in the last 3 years.  Great story line for a low budget, Sunday Night CBC movie.  Can’t wait two see part 2 ?

Habs, OLE !

54. SmartDog says:

Thanks.  Yeah, I thought it was TODAY…. but it’s tonight.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

55. TomNickle says:

If the draft starts at 7 you can expect it in between 8:30-9pm.

That is of course if they don’t move up.

;)

56. TomNickle says:

Was there any miscommunication when Sergei said that Halak, Latendresse and Chipchura’s trades were bad for the team?

Come on, quit giving this guy breaks.  He made his bed, now he has to lay in it.

57. The Cat says:

As a person who speaks 2 languages, I can say its very easy to get your wires crossed, so I can only imagine when russian is involved. Thats a very good point you make.

58. SmartDog says:

Can someone tell me roughly when the Canadiens will make their first round pick?   I don’t have time to watch the whole thing today.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop.

59. TomNickle says:

If you were to take a job in Russia tomorrow would you expect your manager to have a translator on hand?

Sergei speaks excellent English by the way.

Does interviews in full English, the only communication barrier are the two enormous cotton swaps lodged in his ears.

60. MD says:

French take on Sergei’s interview is completely bad.

What he was actually saying it that he was left alone for the whole year by JM. The only time somebody talked to him was in Hamilton when he knew he had to work hard to get back to Montreal.

I don’t understand, how hard is to find somebody who speaks russian in the organization if you’re picking up russian talent all the time…

61. Storm Man says:

do you have any clue what the definition of core means? The core of the Habs is still in place.

62. Chorske says:

Did you seriously just use “NAG” in a sentence?

Imma come over and dump some goulash, hot potato salad, and rollmops on yer fool head. Don’t encourage the anti-euro contingent… and Habs-Professor in particular- by adopting that meaningless term. You’re better than that, dude. ;)

63. Chorske says:

So many old saws about hockey have died this year.

The Hawks disproved the notion that Stanley Cups are won on elite-level goaltending.

And the Leafs have disproved (disproven?) that the team that gets the better player wins the trade. Kessel’s good, but how excited would Leafs Nation be about a top two pick right now? And how stacked is Boston these days? Urgh.

64. jbroderi says:

you are the perfect poster, or at least the attitude is.  We should be talking about how to improve our team through personell changes, trades, free agents, coaching changes, etc.  we are here to talk hockey.  We can and should be critical, but not to the point of being critical for the sake of it, or bitching and moaning because we have the same gm and coach again, etc etc.  Let’s all talk about how to improve our habs, not about how PG and JM are ruining them!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

65. Bugs says:

If my new boy Sergei said “Maybe the coach doesn’t like me”, the translation is perfectly accurate, idiomatism and all.

If he said “gimme mustard on my hot-dog”, then, there’s a problem, agree.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

66. Bugs says:

(gasp)

What…exactly are you implying, sir?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

67. twocents says:

When do you plan your flip flop on this HH?

(you’re really scraping when you use Burke as a model) I remember last year how so many people said the loafs would be better than the Habs. How’d that pan out? Kessel boy and all, how’d that work out?

68. Chorske says:

C’t’en plein ça, simonac. ;)

69. thorandresson says:

Speaking of AK, say he has a big season.  Which wouldn’t surprise me, he has the talent, it’s a contract year and if he doesn’t suffer any major injuries he should be able to score 70 points or more along Plekanec and Cammalleri (disclaimer that’s if he is consistent and plays to his potential).  So if he does this (big if), do you sign him next summer to big bucks?

My point being, that even with the best case scenario for AK next year, there’s still a big question about signing him next summer, so why bother and why not try to get something for him now?

70. twocents says:

Pardon me here Chorske…

Bugs, I think what Chris means is that the Sergei quote you like so much is a translation and given the local flavour injected into it, it would seem the writer is using the same sort of license that the Habs Bros. employ.

71. Chorske says:

Oh HELL no. I’ll bet they can’t stand each other. But I’ll also bet the translator took some… liberties, is all.

72. thorandresson says:

I don’t get these people, if they don’t like it and are suffering why don’t they start cheering for another team?  There are 29 other teams to cheer for.

73. Bugs says:

You think, on the contrary, that Jack Marty LIKES him and is just showin tough love in not playin’m?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

74. Mr_MacDougall says:

i like your style.. I will say this.. we need help on the Left side.. Pouliot and AK aren’t going to cut it.. everything else looks fantastic.. Pleks and Gomez up the mid, and Gionta Cammy on the right side… Me and my brother were wondering who the team will get to back-up Price and he mentioned Marty Biron… I haven’t heard anything…