Teeing up the draft

• No qualifying offer to Pouliot

Emerson Etem is a hot prospect from the golden state – Pat Hickey

Much suspense surrounds Canadiens

TSN’s predictions

• Who the heck is Tyler Toffoli? Scott Cullen’s mock draft

Top Russian prospects

Boone blogs live, at 7 p.m.

And, if your stomach can take it, Sergei sounds off.

1. mike g says:

I’ve never been.

I’m a diehard Yankee’s fan. There’s something about the whole city of Boston that pisses me off. I hate the Bruins, Sox, Pats, and Celtics.

I’ve said ti numerous times that because of the hate I have of the Red Sux, I’ll never visit Fenway. I know it’s full of “history”, but it’s mostly a history of losing for 80 years, lol….

Anyways, let’s not get into the huge Red Sox vs Yankees debate but yea….I’m sure theie popcorn’s good, it’s America..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

2. Rugger says:

I am hoping I make it home in time to catch the draft tonight.  We host a Rugby 7’s tourney tomorrow, 48 teams, so i will be spending afternoon/evening lining and prepping 4 pitches.  At least it’s sunny and not humid today and with the Habs drafting late i shouldn’t miss their pick.

3. arcosenate says:

It was weird, Pouliot Exits CH Picture. Yet the GM says he’ll receive a qualifying offer Monday.

Maybe they’re trying to get the 15th pick from Florida.

4. nick says:

Sergei sounds like half the people here on HabsInsideOut…

5. mike g says:

SK isn’t the ideal anything…

It’s funny how management is so pathetic, yet they were able to put together a team that finished higher than PIT, WSH, DET, and a bunch of Cup favorites last year.

But, I guess that it was solely Halak’s exceptional play that led to the great result, right? Cuz Halak did afterall score 13 goals, block 350 shots, assisted on 15 goals, etc….So not only did he play well in nets, but Halak also led the playoffs in every single offensive category……Oh boy…..

And you know what, SK had a ton of chances. He was benched more last year than any other player because he never, ever responded to it. When it cam playoff time and we dressed him for 1 game against Philly, that was his chance to make something happen. It didn’t have to be a goal, assists, last minute shot block or anything. EVen a little scrum or a fight with a guy like Briere or Giroux that were killing us with their goals. Try to disturb the oppositions best players if you can’t score goals yourself.

He had a chance to be noticed and be a factor. But, he just floated and did nothing. If I know I’m in the coaches doghouse, I’ll do anything to be noticed. Heck, I’ll slash Pronger on the wrist and risk getting a beatting.

But, at least I’ll do something to change the game..SK doesn’t play like that, hence why he’s not even worth a 75th round pick.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

6. TomNickle says:

Yeah, I knew he had a child.

He won’t be getting under $3 million on this new deal.

Which is why Burns and Schultz may be moved.

I WOULD LOVE BURNS.

7. ed lopaz says:

He’s no Brett Hull, for damn sure.

He is good for 20-30 a season, if he plays 18 minutes a night, and on the Power Play.

Not bad, for less than 2 million per.

By the way, a few things you might not know.

Guillaume is married (well Quebec style marriage, no papers).

He has a kid as well.

8. thorandresson says:

So the headline on Hickey’s article is “Pouliot exits CH picture”, and yet the article never clearly states this and never goes very deep into the matter, it only says that he didn’t get a qualifying offer and it even quotes Gauthier saying “The process of evaluation is not complete for certain players and I would expect he’ll get a qualifying offer by Monday,”  Hmmm, sounds like a poorly and misleading written headline.

9. mike g says:

Best popcorn I’ve ever had was at RFK stadium in Washington.

The 1st year the Expos moved there, me and 3 friends drove to Wildwood for a week. On the way, we stopped in WSH to catch a Nationals game. That popcorn was rediculous. Americans sure know how to add “flavour” to their food. Even McDonal’s tastes better there.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

10. Chorske says:

It could be argued he was less effective in his last few games once the initial adrenaline wore off and opponents figured him out.

I certainly felt he was outmatched at several points in the Flyers series- but then, so was everyone.

11. Chorske says:

Agree,

And: we can say “bullshit”?!

Wish I’d known that last week when Thomas Le Fan invited me to become a Blues fan. Coulda used it then.

12. TomNickle says:

Every reputable media outlet in Canada that covers sports.

Bob Gainey

Allan Walsh

Play me more or trade me is a trade request.

You can spin it however you want, but that’s the reality.

13. mike g says:

For the 1st time since my draft year, I’m actually really anxious for tonight….

The draft isn’t usually the most exciting time of the year. Not many people follow the young prospects alot, largely because it’s so hard to do. The NHL is so much more accesible whether it be on tv, radio, newspapers, etc…The junior ranks are mostly covered in their home cities, so unless you really have a passion to follow them you won’t.

Here in MTL the newspapers even lack space to criticize and question every single move the Habs do. Adding a few pages on the juniors wouldn’t be smart. But, I’ve been reading up and watching some clips of some players and I’m actually gonna plan my night around the draft.

That, and also because there will likely be alot more trades than usual this year, due to the extreamly weak UFA market.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

14. ed lopaz says:

“without much effort” – agreed

15. TomNickle says:

Tough crowd is one way of putting it.

I have a few more but will hold back.

16. ed lopaz says:

I’ve never been to the Staples Center, but when I was at the arena in Florida to see Habs, they had the best freakin popcorn I’ve ever tasted. It was like $10, but it was big enough and tasty enough to be a meal!! :-))

17. TomNickle says:

I know what you’re saying Ed.  But Gui didn’t exactly handle it like a pro.

He should’ve been in Hamilton, I know that, you know that, everybody and their dog knows that.

But being a hockey player is just as much about the way you handle yourself off the ice as it is on the ice.  He handled himself very poorly.

He was given chances to develop his game while earning a very nice paycheck with the big club.

I for one don’t believe his success this season will carry over to next year, I could be wrong but I don’t think he’s the type of player to continue scoring from the perimeter at the rate of a Brett Hull.

18. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

2007: Brendan Smith

2008: John Carlson (Great prospect)

Hey, at least the history has been changing lately. Not the “watch out” type of prospects, but they’re fairly good and still young. Scouts will have to make a smart decision.

Wasn’t Corey Perry a 27th overall pick too?

19. HabsTrueBlue says:

Ummm, I doubt it was more effective coaching. It was much more likely that the notion finally entered Gui’s thick noggin, after being traded away, that doing what his NHL coaches wanted him to do was a lot better than riding buses in the AHL.

20. ed lopaz says:

Andrei needs someone to pour his milk in the morning.