Technical difficulties earlier today

Due in part to the popularity of the new site, our web server was offline for a little while this morning and early afternoon.

To keep this from happening again, we have temporarily turned off a few features, in order to lessen the load on the server. We will be moving the site to a higher-capacity server in the next few days, at which point we will be able to carry on adding new features for you and expanding the site. Daily Habs coverage will continue as usual.

To everyone who has made this site so well trafficked (and very briefly, too well-trafficked) we thank you for your patience and enthusiasm.

–John MacFarlane, Senior Producer and Dru Oja Jay, Web Administrator

1. Naila Jinnah says:

Yey! Popularity is a good thing, no?

2. Mr.Hazard says:

“Due in part to the popularity”
    SURE JOHN! BLAME IT ON US!!

Ex nihilo nihil fit

3. Conor says:

how do you add a photo to your profile?

4. HabsInBlood says:

Go into your profile.

5. HabsInBlood says:

More specifically:

Click “change your profile” (red title bar above) -> edit -> account settings.

No, I don’t work for this website ;-)

6. HabsInBlood says:

Ooops, that should have been a reply. A few suggestions for mainainter:

* The reply/thread feature is awesome.
    * It would be nice of we could delete edit our own comment so I could correct my above faux pas without another post.
    * You should provide a text input box only after a user has selected “reply” or “new comment”. I’d imagine a lot of people (at least one, as I’ve already proven) will accidentally start typing in the default input box at the bottom of a post/thread intending it to be a reply to previous comment, not realizing it will show up as a “new comment”. Then again, maybe I/we just need to get use to the new usability aspects of this new HIO site.
    * Get rid of the blue back drop. We need more of a Habs feel in the template design.
    * Have a suggestion box so I can write stuff like this in the right context.

7. OldGrover says:

Is there a way to know if someone replies to you? That might help generate some debate – if someone responses to your specific post you could know and make sure you respond to them.

8. HabsInBlood says:

OldGrover. I don’t know if you are aware of this, but replies to a comment (by explicitly selecting “reply” within a comment as opposed to “post new comment” at the bottom of a thread) are indented below your original comment. To see if someone has replied to one of my posts, I would go to my profile and pick a recent post of mine to see if there are any replies below it.

9. Conor says:

thanks!

that option wasn’t available earlier when i tried to do it.

i’m not a moron, i swear.

10. OldGrover says:

Heh. I was hoping for something lazier :)

11. mjames says:

Whenever I click on “Main” , I get booted off and I have to log in again.

mjames

12. Sanchin Films says:

Hi Kevin, Dave, Mike, and (in absentia) Pat:

I was interested to hear your thoughts about Patrick Roy’s number retirement. I understand your reservations about Roy’s character. I grew up idolizing him, but I always understood Number 33’s ego matched his swollen equipment. He was my favorite Hab, but I knew he was no role model.

I also knew Roy’s greatness depended on his arrogance. He thrived in a town that can destroy lesser puckstoppers. His swagger rubbed off on his teammates; the Canadiens haven’t been the same since he left for Colorado. Roy’s Habs were the last squad to walk with the assured stride of hockey’s greatest franchise. That alone merits a Number 33 banner in the rafters.

You pointed out the Canadiens’ love for history. “The franchise is about tradition,” you said. No argument here. But the Habs are about one thing above all: Stanley Cups. The Cups make this club special. The Cups (24 of them – a ridiculous number, really) separate our Habs from the Leafs and Wings. So there’s really just one reason to retire Patrick Roy’s number: without him, we’d be moaning about a 28-year Cup drought instead of a 14-year one.

Love the Puckcasts. Keep up the great work.

(Note: Intended to post this to the latest Puckcast, but the “comments” link took me here.)