Team 990 new radio home of Canadiens

HIOplaceholder9

From The Gazette:

The Canadiens will have a new home on English radio with news Wednesday that THE TEAM 990 will have exclusive rights to all the team’s games over the next seven seasons. In addition to the radio broadcasts of all 82 regular-season games plus playoffs, THE TEAM 990 will also produce extensive pre- and post-game shows. The Canadiens coverage will also be available online at team990.com

“It’s truly something special for everyone here at THE TEAM 990 to become the new radio home of the Montreal Canadiens,” said Wayne Bews, the station’s general manager. “As a proud member of the Montreal community, the Habs have always dominated our airwaves. This new partnership with the Canadiens organization will enable us to give hockey fans even more coverage of our city’s team.”

Said Geoff Molson, chairman of the board of directors and owner of the Canadiens: “We are very pleased to have entered a new partnership with THE TEAM 990 to become the Canadiens English radio broadcaster. This long-term agreement with THE TEAM 990 is a testament to our commitment to provide our fans with the most comprehensive and reliable broadcast on English radio for the foreseeable future.”

THE TEAM 990 and the Canadiens will announce the radio play-by-play team later this summer.

1. Jason MacCuaig says:

This is great news! It will likely also have an effect on 730 CKAC. I live in Ontario, and CJAD doesn’t reach us very well, so I would often listen Habs games on CKAC if I was on the road. I got to really enjoy their broadcasts… and didn’t particularly enjoy CJAD. I’m a big 990 fan though, and it reaches us just fine! An Elliot Price, Denis Casavant combo would work fine in my opinion.

2. cuzzie says:

They should put Marinaro on midnight to 4 am shift.

3. J_P says:

It only makes sense to have the broadcasts on the team 990 because of the extensive coverage they provide all day long on game day. However, NO ONE from the existing team 990 staff should get the assignment of play-by-play or color analyst. Especially not that flake marinaro. He was great when he first started, and was a nice counter-balance to the completely ridiculous PJ Stock. Ever since Stock left, Marinaro just became more and more cocky and condescending every year.

I definitely dont want Nilan doing color, unless he’s part of a color commentary tandem (meaning the team would consist of 1 play-by-play and two color analysts). As much as I like Nilan, I don’t think I could listen to him for an entire game.

4. sally122 says:

I know radio is a business paid for by advertizing but the CJAD broadcast was like listening to an infomercial with breaks for a hockey game. Not a fan of Moffat or Momesso really. I grew up listening to Dick Irvin on the radio so maybe I’m just hard to please.
    I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on–s’e’ek’c’ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!

5. EricInStL says:

I stopped listening to the TEAM990 since it was fast becoming TEAMELNICK990….

If you are IN you are IN right Chris Nilan ????

Anyways, I dislike Elliott Price, in the morning and his Junior de Montreal broadcasts are very painful to hear.

Marinaro is ok but it just might too much for him to handle and might make his head explode.

Too bad for Momess, the time I listened he was actually good.

Good luck Team990….

6. mcmikel says:

Moffat & Momesso were a great team. As Habs fans living Louisiana, my wife & I turned down the Centre Ice feed and followed the CJAD broadcast. Hopefully TEAM990 will avoid fielding a Jack Edwards-type ass. If they could keep the Moffat team in tact…

7. Number31 says:

They should give Derek Wills a promotion from the Bulldogs! (Truth: His subbing for the Sabres was excellent).

8. Say Ash says:

what would barry trotz have to do to win the jack adams, exactly?

9. RabidHabsFan says:

I think they should give Knuckles a shot, I know he interviewed for the spot last year as color commentator for CJAD but they eventually chose Momesso to fill the position.

Mike Milbury is the Archie Bunker of Hockey.

10. Jim Edson says:

Hoping that Marinaro is not allowed to turn NHL hockey broadcasts into a giant infomercial for all his buddies!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

11. stubbornfool says:

Moffat would be the best choice as play by play guy. Price is good but better at baseball.

12. hab_skill says:

I went to the TSN homepage and there was a photo of Gomez with the first word being “Winnipeg”. Thought for a brief second that PG had given Gomez to the ‘Peg. Oh well, wishful thinking. Turns out we might be playing Winnipeg in their first NHL game.

13. Alex Rio says:

I wasnt crazy about CJAD broadcasts, but ill take em any day over the cocky marinaro.

last thing i need is to hear his anoyying voice and sense of superiority. Thats why i stopped listning to team 990…darn

• LA Loyalist says:

CJAD wasn’t the same without Murray Wilson.

Dick Irvin for home games is a brilliant idea. Give him a Red Bull and he’ll be great.

14. HabsFan24Cups says:

*** HEY FOLKS…LONG TIME READER FIRST TIME POSTER*****

Very Happy to hear that the Team 990 has the broadcasting rights. A couple of suggestions

1) Realizing that he is close to 80 years old…I think that they should bring back Dick Irvin to do colour on all HOME games. If he wants road also…give it to him. His stories take us on a magical journey every time. Plus, they haven’t won a Cup without him!!!

2) Keep Tony Marinaro away from the broadcasts. He will spend the whole time doing “shout outs” to his family during the games

3) I like Eliot Price for baseball..but not so much for hockey

4) Dino Cisto is working at Mike FM…is the restraining order lifted? Kidding… don’t bring him back

5) Ron Reusch is a good idea

6) thanks for allowing my post

• stubbornfool says:

Dick Irvin, Ron Reusch and Red Fisher. The golden aged trio would provide a lot of information and insight but each would need a nap between periods.
      I wouldn’t expect Sisto to be rehired by the Habs.

• LA Loyalist says:

Have them each do a period. We do mostly afternoon games anyway, don’t we? Anyway, it’s easy to call a game with a Jacques Martin coached Habs team:

Announcer:
        “The puck is in the Montreal zone.”

Color Guy:
        “What was Gomez thinking?”

Announcer:
        “The puck is in the Montreal zone.”

Color Guy:
        “What was Gomez thinking?”

Announcer:
        “Desharnais and Pacciorety are working the puck in the offensive zone.”

Color Guy:
        “Oh crap, Martin’s going to have them riding the pine now. Hope they don’t score or they’ll be selling steamies on St. Laurent.”

See. Easy, breezy!

They could do it with a teleprompter, like Obama.

Bring on Dick Irvin.

• cuzzie says:

Sisto and Mitch had a scrap.

15. Bugs says:

If whoever they get to call the games is HALF as good as Martin McGuire and Dany Dubé, it should be a rip-roarin success.
    Wish them luck. L’even give’em a chance.
    But either way, McGuire and Dubé, for me, are brilliant all across the board and it’d take a miracle to tear me away from’em.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• rompomurro says:

Great we will finally get rid of that annoying play by play commentary by whats his name Rick i want to be Gallivan with his stupid Ak 47 comment when Andrei rarely scored and his other mindless play by play comments. Good Luck to team 990 believe you cannot do worse and with the talent you have I am sure you will not.

Passalaqua

• EricInStL says:

I second that…..

• havok says:

Agree 11000000000%…
      No one can beat that team, I am so happy to be bilingual und be able to follow them
      I stopped listening to 990 as well, couldn’t take anymore Marinaro or Tieman, I mean wow…
      If you wanted to call in your name had to end in an “O” LOL….
      I do wish them luck because I think the younger guys like McKenna and Campbell are actually OK…

• Bugs says:

Tieman, gosh bless’m, is a completely useless fuddy-duddy when it comes to debating sports and a total waste of radio waves.
        Marinaro has become more and more unpleasant as his head progressively inflates.
        Only The Morning Show and Melnyk hold interest now, imo.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ll agree with what Tom said below, the last thing we needed is MTL radio’s equivalent of a National Enquierer writer getting more air time. Condolences to Rick Moffat on being out of his job.

• Rick was good enough to stick his head in post-game at Hurleys to say hello to everyone still sticking around after the HIO Summit, the last two years.

Unfortunately his commitment to Als broadcasts will prevent him from jumping ship to continue covering the Habs.

One thing I wish the Team990 would upgrade is their audio clips, and maybe have a better page dedicated to the Habs as CJAD does.

Even TheFan590 in Toronto pretty much posts audio of every interview, and yes that sometimes includes Habs personnel and media.

Most of the Team990’s clips are McGuire/Melnick.

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

17. Gindan69 says:

So does this mean the constant shitting on the team by wanna be coach Melnick, wanna be GM McGuire and wanna be secret agent Meatball Marinaro will be highly curbed? I don’t see the Habs wanting anything more confrontational then what they had at CJAD.

18. longbow says:

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

19. awesomerino says:

Amen! Salut la visite, uber-bland Rick Moffat and barely coherent Sergio Momesso!

I hope they bring in Elliott Price and Chris Nilan to do the games.

• longbow says:

And Chris Nilan is coherent ?

• awesomerino says:

I take it you haven’t heard Nilan’s spots with Mitch Melnick? He’s more than coherent, he’s funny, engaging, and self-deprecating. I’ll take that over Momesso or Murray Wilson any day.

• longbow says:

Yes I have heard him with Melnick. I enjoy listening to him in that context but he isn’t quick enough for a hockey broadcast.Spends to much time looking for words.Not his fault.A result of playing hockey but it just wouldn’t work in the faster pace of play by play.

• EricInStL says:

Nilan + Beer = Hilarity… But it’s not really nice since he has an alcohol problem.

Hey it could have been worse, it could have been PJ + Nilan. 2 ex-bruins doing MTL color…

• Tony McLean says:

Momesso was painful, Nilan is entertaining. Yes it’d be taking a chance letting him do colour, so what? Is so called sports “journalism” full of articulate Einsteins or wannabe’s and ex-jocks? You’re never going to please everyone. Look at this page. Or any chat room/mailing list. I say he’s ready. If he falls he can go back to teaching at Hah-vahd.

“Rebuilding since 1979.”

• RabidHabsFan says:

Mike Milbury is the Archie Bunker of Hockey.

20. habsfan_61 says:

curious to see who they get to be the lead lung on the broadcast. please no marinaro though,in any capacity.

21. SmartDog says:

Does anyone know how good their reach is? Up in the Saint Sauveur area, CJAD800 is iffy. You can get it sometimes in some areas but you turn a corner and its gone.

• Tremblant Habs Fan says:

CJAD comes in ‘iffy’ in Tremblant too, but it’s clearer than the Team 990, CKAC comes in pretty clear so I listen mostly ‘en francais’.

22. dhenry1234 says:

Does this mean that CJAD will not be broadcasting the games anymore? If so that kind of sucks. I always enjoyed the commentators.

• SmartDog says:

CJAD’s gonna have more time to talk about things like who’s wearing what this season, or why parking tickets are bad.

Moffat is good. I thought Momesso was okay but I missed Murray. I liked him more, he was smoother.

23. vaya_ says:

seems like a logical move considering the team 990 talked about the habs for practically 21 hours every day, besides between 7 and 10 pm on game nights.

i do like rick moffat and sergio momesso, so i wonder who they’ll keep/bring in for play-by-play.

24. otter649 says:

Bell Media owns Team990 quite a jump for the station from broadcasting soccer & junior A hockey to doing NHL hockey featuring The Montreal Canadiens…….

25. secretdragonfly says:

Guess CJAD’s bid wasn’t high enough – that’s just great – now we get to listen to Marinaro’s knee-jerk, too fast off the mark rumour-mongering.

• RabidHabsFan says:

I don’t think they pay a lot because what the Canadiens get in return is basically a 24hr a day Habs radio station with little to no investment , next step will be for them to set up that all Canadiens/Habs TV station. Montreal Canadiens TV =D
      Mike Milbury is the Archie Bunker of Hockey.

26. TomNickle says:

The last thing Tony Marinaro needs is a bigger sense of entitlement.

27. Habitant in Surrey says:

“… The Canadiens coverage will also be available online at team990.com”
    …THAT’s all I need to know
    …exhale !

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Un Canadien errant says:

A Habitant in Whistler agrees!

I would often mute Benoit Brunet on RDS and tune in CJAD’s audio on NHL.com. If I can go straight to TEAM 990’s site, that’ll work just fine.

———————————
      “I hate the Bruins more than the Nordiques, who I hate more than the Flyers.”

28. avatar_58 says:

So what does this mean for CJAD? Is this because Moffat and co went nuts over the Chara business?

29. habsfan0 says:

Wasn’t THE TEAM 990’s former call letters CKGM?

The radio station which carried the Expos during their first season?

The station where Pat Burns (no,not that one) had a call in show where he always said: “Burns hotline, go ahead!”

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Pat Burn’s ? …the rabble-rouser ?
      …yesteryear’s version of Rush Limbough (…OR is it, Limbaugh ?) …the guy who’s narrow-minded mouth prompted someone he offended to place a bomb in his station’s entrance on de Maisonneuve ?
      …the anti-christ to Paul Reid ?
      …THAT guy ???
      …ah, THOSE were da GOOD ol’ dayz !!!
      …eh HF0 ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• habsfan0 says:

Yup..they sure were. One of the things about Pat Burns (the radio station call in host, not the hockey coach) was that his and Ted Tevan’s voice seemed to be identical.

• ZepFan2 says:

Ted Tevan. lol

I loved the gun shots and the, “YOU’RE gone 790…”

Hilarious.

———————————————————————-
          Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• habsfan0 says:

Or, how about…”McGaretty..get me some women on the line!”

• ZepFan2 says:

@habsfan0

I forgot about that one.

———————————————————————-
            Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.