Recognize the guy behind the mask?
The NHL thinks Ron Francis was a better number 10 than Guy Lafleur (thanks, NightRyder).
• Pat Hickey talks to P.J. Stock about the Battle of the Blades: “You
get $25,000 for the charity of your choice just for participating and
$100,000 if you win,” Stock explained. “I talked it over with my wife
and we agreed it was a way to give something back. We’ve been fortunate
that our kids are healthy.”
• Arpon Basu says the acquisition of Jeff Halpern may mean a lighter load for Tomas Plekanec. Arpon also suggests the likely forward lines this season.
And Mark C posts some interesting Jeff Halpern stats:
– Halpern had 47 blocked shots last season, which would have ranked him
3rd among Montreal forwards, behind only Pleks’ 63 and Moen’s 51 and 11
more blocked shots than Lapierre.
– Halpern averaged 2:24 of PK
time per game in Tampa last season, which would have ranked 2nd behind
only Pleks’ 2:44 among Montreal forwards.
– Halpern’s FO% of 51.6% would have lead Montreal.
Shout-out to Watsatheo for this very loud Jeff Halpern compilation
• TSN’s Fantasy projections. Highest Canadien is Scott Gomez at number 40.
• Redesigned Capgeek. Canadiens have $778,273 to spend.
• James Mirtle Tweets: “I guess because I’m from B.C. originally I don’t quite understand the intense hatred for all things Leafs.” Maybe it’s because they invite thugs to training camp.
• SB Nation’s mock NHL expansion draft.
Scott Gomez is picked third … by the Nordiques!
• Stan Bowman gets a promotion.