Take me out to the brawl game

LucicKomo
Monday was fight night in the NHL.
The Rangers and Devils got into three seconds after the opening faceoff.
And Mike Komisarek – whose death wish is bigger than his Toronto contract – dropped ‘em again with Milan Lucic.
It did not go well for Komo … or the Leafs, who were skunked 8-0.

1. First of all, fighting is not part of the game – that’s why there are penalties when players drop the gloves. It also does not change momentum or police the game but it does injure players and ruin a beautiful game. After almost 50 years of playing and watching hockey I am hopeful that the NHL is finally looking at fighting and thinking of ways to reduce or eliminate it. Junior hockey will likely ban it starting next year although it may take a few years for all leagues to get on board. Then we will get players, euros, NCAA and Canadian Juniors, whose hockey culture does not include fighting. Perceptions will change and the NHL and NHLPA will do the right thing and ease fighting out of the sport.

2. AH says:

Lucic destroyed Komo the first time, but you have to give Komo major credit for taking him on again. It takes courage to step up, knowing you’re most likely to get your butt kicked.

• PEC Hab says:

That was the time when he separated his shoulder. He is not a good fighter, but does better than he is credited, I will happily take someone that “participates” on my team, win or lose. Tom the bomb never won a fight that I remember but he always answered the bell. Komo cares and he though it likely embarrassed him to no end after the first fight, he has fought him at least two times after, and I hope he fights him again. Lucic needs people to call him on his crap.

• foghorn11 says:

lucic is a coward yellow he picks his spots wouldnt fight larouche

t lett

• Michael says:

I wouldn’t call him a coward because he strikes me as one of the tougher blokes in the league that are actually good at hockey, but if you’re looking for good evidence to support your point, Don Cherry once called Lucic out on Boston TV because Toronto’s Colton Orr was beating him so badly that he actually invited the ref to break it up. The incident occurred in 2010, and in fairness to the despicable Bruin, he’s a tougher player now.

3. HNS says:

Komi can’t fight. He couldn’t even beat his meat.

4. LafleurGuy says:

Feel free to move onto the next thread and let this be the last post on this one.
    Lafleur, Baby!

“May you live in interesting times.”

5. boing007 says:

Conference final, 6th game 1987 Canadiens/Flyers pre-game brawl:

Richard R

6. arcosenate says:

You know, I am certainly not the biggest Komisarek fan for obvious reasons but I wish he had one magic right that would put Lucic’s lights out one of these times. Just once…

7. LafleurGuy says:

Any sincerity in the facade of concern several months ago over the deaths of Boorgaard, Rypien, Belak? Or is it agreed that enforcer’s job has no connection with mental health? Was Cherry Pie right in calling Chris Nilan, Stu Grimson, and Jim Thomson (in stating their opinion that the fighting role is harmful) “Pukes?” Memory loss favors those with un-thought out opinions. No wonder Cherry Pie is so popular.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

And being in the States, all I will hear and see on ESPN all day is highlights of the fights, Jack Edwards glee over blood, and the jokes about ” I was at a boxing match and a hockey game………” **sigh**

• TomNickle says:

Fighters don’t have to be in elite physical condition. More specifically fighters who are lucky to see ten minutes of icetime in a game. They’re on the road for the majority of the year and many turn to substance or alcohol abuse. Since the time they were in junior hockey they’ve had drug dealers soliciting them free narcotics and bar owners allowing them to drink for free because they’re fans. This of course is not meant to be a generalized statement about fighters but the harsh truth is that close to the majority of them fall into this category.

Don Cherry’s comment a couple of years ago that there was an epidemic of drug abuse in the Quebec Junior League absolutely infuriated me. The primary reason being that I know a lot of the substance abuse surrounding several OHL teams and Tier 2 teams that aren’t kept secret. If anything, the OHL has a big problem with its players.

• yehaken says:

What about rock star drinking awareness?

Minnesota with the big win over Vancouver, good to see.

• Habfan10912 says:

Yes. Was worried about the Wild tanking further then Habs. Hey Gerald. Does Burke speak French? :)

He speaks Lawyer talk, but the airwaves here in T.O. today will be abuzzing and not about Manning.

He is going to have to turn this roster over this summer, which will be interesting to watch. Because there is virtually no one left on the Leaf roster that he hasn’t either brought in or resigned. Therefore it is on him. His first couple years in Toronto he blamed prior mgmt, he may wish he could do interviews here in French now.

• TomNickle says:

Which is hilarious considering that his best players not named Kessel or Phaneuf were acquired by John Ferguson Jr.

Ferguson didn’t draft too poorly if you look at his record. And Burke has never drafted well outside of the top 10.

• Habfan10912 says:

Very true Tom. Boy, it sure looked like that team was not interested at all last night. Can’t wait for the waffles to fly tonight.

• LafleurGuy says:

Understand. Better odds for 3rd pick or higher.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

I am no draftnick but it sounds to me that the draft has about 7 players of equal value. Maybe I am stressing out the clubs position if it moves from 3 to 6 or so. That said, id kind of like “Nail”. Would be a nice summer if we could hit the lottery.

• LafleurGuy says:

Before moving on to the next thread, I’m not all that obsessed with the draft either. Much more inspiring lore when retelling….”Sam Pollock got a lock on the 1st pick by trading….,” than ….”we got Grigorenko, and Wickenheiser ’cause the team was….”

“May you live in interesting times.”

9. HabFanSince72 says:

“You can’t ban fighting, it’s part of the game”

Is that the best argument for fighting?

It’s just about the worst argument for anything. Can’t change the way we do things, we’ve always done them this way.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• TomNickle says:

Yep. Can’t stop throwing accused criminals into water with anchors chained to their legs. “We’ve always done it this way”.

Fighting will be necessary only as long as the NHL’s supplementary discipline is a joke. Which puts the league into a conflict of interest when evaluating the place for fighting in the NHL, because it sells tickets and they promote it.

• Habfan10912 says:

I dont mind fighting but its this stage fighting that for me infringes on the sports credibility. No place for that in the game.

• TomNickle says:

You can’t have it both ways. There’s little staged about the Devils and Rangers game last night. It’s two teams who strongly dislike each other, have made no secret of that fact and two coaches who put guys on the ice to start the game who wanted to fight trying to gain an edge.

That’s it. Tortorella is notorious for it.

• Habfan10912 says:

If what I saw last night wasn’t staged I dont know what it was! The Devils wanted to start the game sending out a defenseman as a wing for the express purpose to take Pristi out of the game for several minutes. Nothing to do with dislike. They probably play golf and fish with each other during the off season.
          When I defend fighting I speak to spontaneous emotional fisticuffs. Not what I saw last night. That sir, disgust me.

One thing is guanteed this summer, Carlyle will tell Burke he needs another goon. Maybe Toronto can trade their 1st round pick to Anaheim for George Parros.

11. The Cat says:

Toronto’s going to 15th place with a bullet, theres no stopping them now.

12. Cal says:

NHL should officially change its name to the NGL. National Goon League. National Garbage League.
    Tortarella and deBoer should be fined. Pathetic.

• habs-hampton says:

This is the same league (and their media puppets) that want to give Chris Neil a first star for picking a fight with Brad Staubitz.
      And at the same time they’re “trying” to figure out how to get rid of concussions???

• HabFanSince72 says:

Didn’t you hear? The NHL claim they’re doing “all they can” to get rid of concussions.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

13. Steve C. says:

Gotta love that class act Jack Edwards and NESN for showing Lucic kicking Komisarek’s butt in the past, his «final moments» as a Canadien. There isn’t a more impartial sports announcing crew in all of pro sports.

Komo hasn’t been the same since that fighting loss to Lucic in his final year, as dismal as it was. But he always played hard for the Canadiens, and despite his mistake in signing with the Leafs (although it’s obvious now that he’s not even worth 3 million, let alone the 4.5 that Toronto is paying him), he served Montreal well; he was a favorite of mine when he played for Montreal.

And Milan Lucic is a coward anyway. Only fights guys he knows he can own…or suckerpunch…or punch with his gloves still on before a fight has begun. At least Komisarek keeps coming and challenges him, I don’t care how many times he loses.

• Marc10 says:

I always turn the audio off when its the Beantown feed.

And I’ll give props to Komi for standing up to Lucy. You know if the tables were turned, Cindy Lu would never have dropped them.

• The Cat says:

I agree Lucic doesnt fight fair at all. Youd think someone would try to fight fire with fire for once.

• habsgod says:

your absolutely right lucic is a gutless chicken shit coward! i still remember the him running and hiding behind chara when gorges laraque went and asked him to fight………the gutless one lucic wouldn’t drop the gloves instead he chose to run and hide behind chara! he knew that laraque at the time was the toughest guy in the league and would’ve handed him a beating of his life.

• LafleurGuy says:

Komisarek has guts. That fight in the past badly injured his shoulder which even after surgery may not be normal. Hope Lucic p-offs Washington and has to take on John Scott.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• boing007 says:

Komisarek reminds me of those old Timex watch commercials. He takes a licking but keeps on ticking.

Richard R

14. nickster13 says:

Come on people! Is no one on the other side of the world like I am?

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

15. Marc10 says:

Just listened to St Patrick getting interviewed by local radio about the Remparts (in French).

Great dissection of his team’s key players. He’s realistic and very much a straight shooter. Answers all the questions straight up and clearly loves the sport and can’t get enough of it.

He would make a very good NHL coach. I was very impressed. I’ll leave it at that.

He even talks about Radulov…

16. H.Upmann says:

@dtoight: Habs Professor confirms that they are pure N.A.G….(naked a$$ gyynnas?). Over and out

17. H.Upmann says:

Awesome! Way to go Halak!

18. HabsBeen says:

Congratulations to Halak and the St Louis Blues for clinching a playoff berth. Wow, 100 points already and no real stars. A team that plays like a team. Kudos to Hitchcock for delivering.

19. slychard says:

That Rangers/Devils game was pure SLAP SHOT. I was expecting the Hanson brothers any moment.

Got some foil?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

20. Clay says:

Wow…it becomes harder and harder to stay a fan of this game. Fighting needs to be weeded out of this sport completely – ESPECIALLY that planned crap 2 seconds in. This makes hockey look bad…
    It was also painful to listen to the absolute glee of Jack Edwards as Lucic pounded Komo.

__________________________
    ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

21. D Mex says:

Komisarek’s on-ice (in)abilities have been badly exposed since signing with the Laffs, where he is well-suited yet grossly overpaid to watch from the press box.

Meanwhile, Jack Edwards once again leads all sports broadcasters in knob-of-the-year voting : the man is an unmitigated @$$hole.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

22. Hamayoune says:

I don’t know why but I still felt pissed off seeing Komisarek taking a beating from Lucic

23. podbay says:

If the NHL is 1% serious about reducing fighting, then make the penalties for staged fighting harsher. Two players stage a fight, they get 5, a misconduct, and a game misconduct. What happened in the NJ/NYR game was pure bullshit. As for Lucic, a goon is a goon is a goon.

24. sreuel says:

I thought this was a site for the habs

25. zoobydooby says:

Feel bad for toronto and how their gm made the team go nowhere. Feel bad for montreal and their fake gm also. Both teams suck!

26. Habitant in Surrey says:

…humorous comment on CBC.ca from Weeds’ fan at his or her’s wits-end: Billboard on google; Tavern promotes; “Free Beer and Drinks” for all Leafs playoff games

…for the FIRST time in 60 some odd years, I am finally feeling a ‘twinge’ of empathy for weed nation

…hmmm …that didn’t last long :)

_________________________________________________________
    HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song: Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

27. H.Upmann says:

*thud* ! sounds like the Leafs just hit rock bottom. Helas!

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…BRAWL ???????? …You call those BRAWLS ??????
    …YOU call those pussy-pants tiffs …BRAWLS ??????
    …Philadelphia-Habs …pre-game WARM-UP !!!!!! :)

_________________________________________________________

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• LizardKing1967 says:

Man, I remember that one. Gotta say, I would keep fighting in hockey, but you are right, nothing today compares to stuff like that. Or the good friday masacre against the nordiques.

Those were the good old days when the Habs were tough.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

29. Malreg says:

Sportsnet trolls Mark Recchi:

30. Gerry H says:

What a fracking disgrace. These guys are such skilled athletes, yet they persist in looking like clumsy couch potatoes hepped up on a bottle of Jack every time they drop them. Boxing is a sport practiced by first rate athletes. It has grace, style and athleticism. Hockey fights are graceless gong shows that have never settled anything AND make these fine athletes look like uncoordinated dorks.

Can’t end soon enough.

31. HabsinLA says:

Who would you rather have at 4.5 million/year. Komisarek or Kaberle? Assume length of contact is the same and also assume your GM is PG so “neither” is not an option.

32. I see Pouliot is blossoming with the Broons. All the way to 12 goals from ten. I guess they keep him for the Laffs.
    Give him a year and he will be in Van with Higgins.

And its nice to see the Leafs falling in the spring. A Canadian rites of spring? Go Burke go!

33. FanCritic says:

Komo couldn’t beat his sister

34. The Dude says:

That was fun and way better to watch than this Habs season…

35. Duracell3 says:

Every time the NHL says it is trying to do away with staged fighting……

I don’t even care, but at least be honest about it.

36. Clay says:

Part of the game…planned fighting 2 seconds in. Yes, such an integral part of the game for sure… :roll:

__________________________
    ☞ If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong. ☜

37. nickster13 says:

Sobotka, Polak, Berglund. Not much, and 2 of those guys hardly see much ice time.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

38. Steve C. says:

Don’t know what you were watching, but it was all very relevant. Ask anyone at that game if they want their money back for having been forced to watch a fight.

39. The Cat says:

Well thats the problem. Hockey in the US relies on it for money but it hurts the integrity of the game. There isnt much difference between hockey and wrestling, and to some that may not be that bad of a thing but is that the way the NHL wants to be? Sooner or later the NHL has to take a stand, a stand that they keep shoving under the table cause itll cause a financial downfall.