Too bad they don’t have hockey clips on the Monday Night Football pre-game feature.

Jody Shelley on the power play?

C’mon, man!

Quotes from the room

About last night …

Dave Stubbs on Sergei Bobrovsky

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

• Pierre LeBrun on a statement win

• Roy MacGregor on the search for a French-speaking saviour

1. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I was worried about that too, I admit.

What can the league do? THere’s no way that they are going to hand out penalties (monetary or otherwise) for teams who ‘intimidate’ others.

I think it’s pathetic. If it happened to Bettman’s Babies (i.e. P’burgh) it’d be a different story altogether.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. notbigbird says:

If memory serves, thirty years ago, we spent much of the first period if not the first game brawling with them. We took the fight to them, and they went quietly after that. Unfortunately, this team isn’t equipped to do that. Of course, my memory may be playing tricks on me.

3. observer says:

Leafs went after him the same way. Oh I understand if Subban was a dirty or cheapshot player BUT NO what they are enraged about is the athletic ability he is displaying and trying his best. I remember when the NFL had only white receivers, dbacks, even many running backs, nba was basically all white, NFL Redskins owner would not have a single non-white on his team into the 60s(Bobby Mitchell),same for other sports Subban is the first potential star out of what is now MULTI-CULTURAL CANADA. 3 that’s 3 guys came after Subban late in the game one Odonnell from 15 feet away the punk grabbed Subban’s face from behind – why? Did they attack rookies Gretzky, Lemiuex, Orr like this for “trying to show up us people?

4. habs11s says:

Soon they will be selling Sidney Crosby’s sweat….

5. HFX-HabFan says:

Neuvirth and David Krejci (surprisingly, as my third centre) are the only guys I have on all three of my teams.

Took Neuvirth in the late rounds in all three drafts and the payoff has been huge.

6. habaddict_andy says:

Let’s not go to Halpern being injured just yet.  We need that line.  Without that line we will be .500 team.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

7. HabsFanInTampa says:

LOL. Some people will just about buy anything. That water inside the bottle looks rancid.

8. observer says:

Wouldn’t surprise if he’ll be fined, even the coach too for sending that goon Shelley out after game was beyond a doubt on the power play no less.

9. habs11s says:

Unrelated but, who wants a $40 container of water? http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10847192

10. Mattyleg says:

Not sure how racism comes into that…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I see that Huggies is running an ad on this site for a year’s supply of free diapers.  Might be a great Christmas present for Mike Richards.

He looks like he knows Shane, but really, this guy is trouble.!!!!

13. ezzeloharr says:

Anywhere I can go for post-game audio?  Coaches’ press conference?  I imagine the NHL website should have this stuff…?

Feel great today -thanks. But I go under the knife again tomorrow morning. No big deal this time.

15. observer says:
    Mike Richards: “Something might happen to Subban..”

How dare that uppity one play to the utmost of his ability and  “show up (us) people” The racist Richards threatens. Bettman will be into this.
    MAGodin (twitter)

Richards: I’m not saying I’ll do it, but something might happen to (Subban) if he continues to be that cocky. http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc…ampaign=Sports (French)

M – It’s losing players to injuries due to cheap shots that worries me. I’m not negating last night’s game (and Price victory), but I really fear what might happen to a guy like Subban.  They will be head-hunting him right from the get-go.  Especially when Philly is playing at home.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

You too? Doan’s been killin’ me for a bit.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

18. Fire_Laraque says:

Question for you guys, Can Richards get suspended for his comments on Subban after the game?

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Managed to steal Neuvirth in the 12th round in one pool and with him being WSH’s starter it’s paying off big-time between him and Price. Wish I’d managed to get Pleks in a pool but everyone was just ahead of me in each draft.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

20. Mattyleg says:

I passed on Price and AK.

Regrets? I’ve had a few…

(Shane Doan)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

IF Halpern can’t play, and is replaced by Boyd, then our cap doesn’t change (they both count right now).  If we replace Halpern with White, it would increase by around $10000 a game, (as we would still pay Halpern, Boyd as well as White).

22. SeriousFan09 says:

White’s been a winger in HAM and he’ll likely play the wings on a checking line, not sure who’d draw the center assignment if Halpern is out for a couple or more, might be Max on the 4th line instead and Eller gets a little more ice time. It’s going to be ugly on Monday, Habs will have to keep their heads up and skate all night long again, wear them down and avoid the garbage. The season series will be ugly, we can best hope someone else knocks off PHI for us in the playoffs because even if we won, they’d be nasty and dirty enough to make sure we lost enough players that the Habs couldn’t go any further.

Sean Courturier doesn’t make sense with Krejci, Bergeron, Savard (If he isn’t done), Seguin and Colbourne (top C prospect in their farm system), if anything we need to worry about them getting their hands on Adam Larsson and having a franchise D to add to their blue line. Toronto’s errors are potentially building the strongest team in the East… Infuriating.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

23. HFX-HabFan says:

Too soon?

24. HFX-HabFan says:

Cammy is also currently 24 and Pleks is 26, one shy of having three players in the top 25.

I have Price in one of my three pools and he has bailed me out in the goaltending categories for multiple weekly matchups.

25. NightRyder says:

I’d take Richards in a heartbeat.

26. longtimehabsfan says:

Is Hickey driving to Philly for Monday’s game?

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Managed to get Price in two pools this year, he’s my MVP easily.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. habs33 says:

Does anyone know how Halpern is doing? Did he suffer a concussion? it looked like he was conscious and coherant when he was being helped off, but that doesn’t rule out a minor concussion.

29. Mattyleg says:

I agree that we need someone who can really drop the gloves, but we have such great depth and well-constructed lines, it’s hard to justify. Especially if we come away with a 3-0 win.

Putting someone in just to fight is a pretty old-fashioned idea, and fighters these days need to put up points as well. Look at Dan Carcillo. He’s been benched a bunch of times already this season (now he’s injured), because just dropping the gloves isn’t enough.

It’s true that it pi$$es me off to see teams like the Flyers bashing us around, but we can take it, and fights won doesn’t mean games won.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. CBrady12 says:

need a tissue ryan?

31. Hobie Hansen says:

Last night was one of 20 regular season games that turned out to be pretty darn entertaining. Throw in our season series with the Leafs and add another series of games in the final month of the season and that’s all the regular season is good for.

Carey Price was spectacular. He looks so big and confident that he doesn’t even resemble the goaltender he was the past two seasons. I would never boo a Canadiens’ player but I’d be lying if I told you I was 100% confident with him between the pipes heading into this season. Heading into the summer he must have had a real bad taste in his mouth and realized that dedicating himself to hockey “again” was more important than being a celebrity. I’d take him as my starter over 98% if not all of the other goaltenders in the league today.

With Markov gone, most likely for the season, I think we all know what Montreal should do with the extra money. If there is such a thing, they need to acquire a 25-goal-scorrer who can hit and fight to play on the top two lines. Then they need a rock solid defenseman who’s not only willing to drop the gloves but a guy who’s feared around the league.  We may have beaten the Flyers last night but over a 7 games series they might drive us into the ground again.

We’ve taken some huge strides over the past few years, which is fantastic, but I think we could take an even bigger step and become the best with a couple additions.

32. habfan53 says:

I’ll probably get blasted for this but I did not have a problem with Powe’s hit on Gorges , on Halpern however MINIMUM 2 minutes for boarding.  Joel Bouchard who was between the benches was saying last night that Halpern wanted to come back right away saying he was fine but Dr. Mulder chose to keep him off the ice.

Also I have to hand it to Lapierre so often called out for tautnig and running he stood up KNOWS he will probably get the S*#T get kicked out of but he did step up.

I have no problems with toughness but draw the line on goons. 30 years ago the Flyers tried this route and the Canadiens showed them that skill and speed won championships.

33. TomNickle says:

A panel of three won’t work any better if they hire two more people like Campbell.

Competition committee should have this duty with any member of an organization in a conflict of interest removing themselves from the decision making process.

34. Mattyleg says:

(they’re sleeeeeeping…)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. Psycho29 says:

Cedric Desjardins?

36. BJT says:

Anybody know how Halpern’s doing? Wouldn’t wanna lose him.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

37. Psycho29 says:

Heh heh…Hope you’re feeling better Ian!

38. Say Ash says:

Really? Was that necessary?

Be nice now.   Don’t be a Psycho!

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Campbell being solely in charge of discipline was a mistake from the being, like it has been suggested in recent days, doesn’t a panel of 3 make more sense? Right now Campbell’s too busy covering his own rear end to actually take care of discipline and drop the hammer on Powe for twice giving out dangerous hits in a game.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

41. Psycho29 says:

I think the most important question on this beautiful rainy morning is:

Where are Nunacanadian, Observer and Xtrahabsfan today???????

42. SmartDog says:

Campbell needs to resign.  His credibility is (rightly and finally) shot.  He’s too busy covering his own a$$ to anchor the league’s regulations. Not to mention that for years people have known that he’s not the kind of figure anyone should be looking up to.  Totally the wrong man for the job.  Now that this is public how long will it take the league to act?

An answer to my question: let’s see, how long did it take the league to respond to the knowledge that head shots were causing life-altering concussions…. 5 years?  10?  20?

NHL + leadership =  a joke

Holy crow! Try not to be jealous but… my fiance just surprised me by getting a Habs logo tattooed on her lower back. It’s awesome.

43. habfan01 says:

Can somebody help me out here?

What was the name of the goalie we traded this summer?

44. habfan01 says:

double one

45. SmartDog says:

Richards is the right captain for the Flyers.  He’s a little chickensh$t and afraid of Suby.

I have to say “Danny” Briere is starting to look like a goon. It’s like the Golem transformation in Lord of the Rings… he started out a hockey player, now he looks more and more like a creature.  Weird.

46. avatar_58 says:

So how is Halpern?

47. kirkiswork says:

The hit on Halpern should definitely be reviewed, and if Richards thinks PK is too cocky well that is just too fricken bad.

48. SmartDog says:

The attitude of these refs seemed to be “no big deal, business as usual”.

Back to the old days now that Campbell is busy covering his ass.

‘The purpose of Habs Inside/Out is to teach people how to spell “traditional”.’
    And Bonne! goes the dynamite!

You got it right Dog!

I would like our media friends to ask some pointed questions.!!!!

50. shootdapuck says:

You have never been to Kenora! Aint no sheep there just “Husky the Musky”!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3”

51. TomNickle says:

If Richards wanted Subban’s respect maybe he should’ve fought him when Subban wanted to go.

52. TomNickle says:

If they are serious about these things Laviolette should be fined and Powe should be suspended.

Shelley on the ice for a powerplay with 2 minutes to go.

Powe with two almost identical hits that both should’ve had him ejected from the game, and on top of that, the linesmen don’t even allow retribution.

53. boneheadslanger33 says:

Totally agree about the injuries. It is utterly ridiculous

54. Habfan29 says:

you are one smart dog on this point!

55. Habfan29 says:

exactly I cannot believe that with the Ref standing right there to the left of the Halpern hit that he did not see the shot to the head or hit from behind, just brutal might as well have minor hockey officials out there as they know what hitting from behind is!!!

56. SmartDog says:

Flyers prove once again that they are goons.

The league proves once again that it is toothless, not unlike half the Flyers… which accounts I guess for why there was no penalty on the Halpern hit last night.

The hit worries me. Halpern is important to this team.

Sometimes I think of not watching the NHL anymore.  Seriously.  Any league where a winning strategy can be “knock this guy out and then that other team will be weaker” is not worth supporting.  It’s not because injries happen. It’s because of how this league lets them happen.  It’s irresponsible to the players and the fans.

‘The purpose of Habs Inside/Out is to teach people how to spell “traditional”.’
    And Bonne! goes the dynamite!

57. TomNickle says:

Both hits were deserving of major penalties by the letter of the law and in the case of Halpern’s hit, the officials would’ve had no choice but to call a major penalty if a call had been made at all.

58. Habfan29 says:

What little respect I had for Mike Richards is gone. He is basically advocating that someone take Subban out, the league has to do something about this. Alex Henry and Conboy should be called up for Monday’s rematch. If the league lets the hit on Halpern or Georges go unpunished, Powe and Shelley on the ice for a power play with 2 minutes left then they league is totally bush! oh wait Colin Campbell is in charge of discipline, did he not play for the flyers at one time???? The habs might as well forget the league doing anything. Was not the elbow to Georges a blind side hit to the head????? Sure looked like it!!!!!!!

59. TomNickle says:

There are positions that command respect but Mike Richards not being 30 years old yet doesn’t put him in one.

Notice Subban not taking cheap shots at Pronger?  They needed to answer for Powe.  I’m very disappointed that it took that long for somebody to do something.  Would have been nice if Moen had been the guy or if the linesmen wouldn’t have been stupid and separated Lapierre and Powe when Lappy got back to his feet.

60. KenD29 says:

I say leave him there, end result !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

61. TomNickle says:

I’d far rather have my teammates’ respect than the oppositions’.

He must be trash talking quite a bit on the ice to rattle people like this, and if he is, good for him.  God knows he’s dealing with it coming his way.

62. Propwash says:

If one demands respect, they haven’t earned it.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Classic line about Mike Richards making his comments about Subban needing to show respect to him on Twitter: Pssht…Please. Dude’s from Kenora, where the men are men and the sheep are afraid.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

I’m worried about these upcoming re-matches.  We can’t have Laps taking on Flyers in a fight (he got his clock cleaned) and that just leaves Moen.  Everyone is talking about the Halpern hit but the one from behind (elbow) on Gorges could have been worse.  I guess we could always bring up Henry but then who would Martin sit out?  If Halpern can’t play, our best alternative might be White.  I’m not sure if he’s been playing on the wing down in Hamilton and I doubt that he can win face-offs the way Halpern does.  He also has little offensive to offer up.  You also have to wonder what Boyd is doing here if he’s not going to play when someone gets injured.  I thought he was here to supply some grit and sandpaper.  We’re going to need the coarsest grade they have at Canadian Tire when we go up against Philly next Monday.  You just know they are going to be head-hunting for Pleks and Subban.

As for the article on a French-Canadien star coming to Montreal, the only guy we really had a shot at was Giroux (I really don’t count Briere as being a star player).  It’s easy to look back and play the what if game.  We were trying to re-build our D with some size and Fischer was another possible addition to go along with Komisarek.  Made sense at the time.  Not to mention that small players from Quebec don’t always cut it at the NHL level.

The real concern is having Sean Couturier land up in Boston.  That nightmare could set back our franchise for the next 15 years.  The laffs won last night and I’m glad they did.  I hope and pray they finish 8th or 9th in the East.

65. Bugs says:

“You’re off the case, Bobrovsky! Hand in your badge!”

(Sorry, I’m still not over that one. I’ll hand in better thought-out posts when I collect myself.)

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

66. SeriousFan09 says:

Desjardins who is currently 2.73 GAA and an .891 save % in the AHL.

I seem to recall suggestions that he was going to threaten Carey’s job, hahaha.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

67. Fansincebirth says:

Briere reminds me more of Bobby Clarke than a real goon. Get into a scrum, stir up sh!t then run and let the knuckle-draggers step in to fight your battles….

68. Chorske says:

That is excellent news about Halpern. Good for Mulder to keep him off the ice, though. Concussions are a hard thing to self-diagnose, everyone thinks they are fine afterwards. But Mulder made the right decision: you can’t “skate off” a concussion.

69. Rudy says:

Can someone explain to me the cap-issues with injuries.

I know Markov counts until he is put on LTIR, but what about Halpern? If he can’t play for a couple of games (I hope not, but he looked really out of it last night) and we play Boyd, or a Bulldog, do those salaries get added to the cap?

Basically my question is do we have to put 2 players salaries against the cap when an injured player is replaced.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

70. HFX-HabFan says:

Price now ranked 8 overall in Yahoo! Fantasy Sports’ daily fantasy rankings.

The seven listed ahead of him:  Stamkos, Thomas, Ovechkin, Crosby, Perry, Semin, and Brad Richards.  Not bad company at all.

71. joshua94k says:

Roy MacGregor of the Globe and Mail is always anti-Habs. Last year he went on and on about the disastrous 100th Anniversary with coach firing, player changes scandals etc. He could have discussed how the team faced adversity and made the play-offs, made key personnel changes for the better, and had the best play-offs in 17 years.

When the Canadiens outlasted the other Canadian teams in last years’ play-offs, his quote “Are the Flyers Canada’s Team” was on the front page of the Globe and Mail.

Now with the Habs having an amazing start, he brings back the French saviour topic and erroneously mentions the historical Quebec terretorial rights for players. (See the blog Habs Eyes on the Prize for a very good analysis that debunks that myth).

The fact is that French Canadian players are in short supply throughout the NHL, forget superstars. Instead he should focus on how the Habs players are embracing this city. Captain Gionta takes French lessons and addresses the Bell Centre crowd before the season opener in French. Mike Cammalleri makes an effort to address fans who approach him in French. PK Subban also said he wants to learn a little French. These are our saviours.

Ken Dryden said “Do you want a good team or a French Canadian team”.

72. HabsTrueBlue says:

You’re right but 30 years ago we had Robinson, Lambert, Tremblay, Risebrough, and other gritty players. I think Robinson’s pounding of Schultz established that the Canadiens not only had skill and speed but were not going to be intimidated.

Right now only Laps, Moen, Subban and Hammerlik seem comfortable playing against physical teams. In a couple years maybe Tinordi, Schulz, and White will be able to provide some more grit to this team.

73. habaholic68NJ says:

Why am I not happy?  The Habs have one of the best records in hockey and have already beaten the Penguins, Nucks, Bruins and Flyers.  The reason is that I am disgusted with what we witnessed last night and how the league allows the Flyers to get away with dirty tactics and potentially career ending plays.

Jacques Martin.  Here is my suggestion for the next week’s rematch and every other game against the Flyers until the playoffs.  THROW THE GAME.   Rest a number of our top players (including Price) and call up at a minimum White, Henry, Conboy and Schultz.  Tell the farm boys to go out and out-goon the flyers and not worry about the score. Maybe this would catch the league’s (But-Man’s) attention.