Sweet!

Too bad they don’t have hockey clips on the Monday Night Football pre-game feature.

Jody Shelley on the power play?

C’mon, man!

Quotes from the room

About last night …

Dave Stubbs on Sergei Bobrovsky

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

• Pierre LeBrun on a statement win

• Roy MacGregor on the search for a French-speaking saviour

1. JF says:

I’m tempted to agree, at least for the next game.  Last night’s goonshow sent the message they’ll be gunning for us.  If we take out a couple of their top players and avoid losing any of our own, we might see less thuggery in the other two games.

2. punkster says:

Tony, you’re trying to make something out of this that isn’t there. I saw no racial undertones in the Cyberpresse report you linked.

3. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I was worried about that too, I admit.

What can the league do? THere’s no way that they are going to hand out penalties (monetary or otherwise) for teams who ‘intimidate’ others.

I think it’s pathetic. If it happened to Bettman’s Babies (i.e. P’burgh) it’d be a different story altogether.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. Rudy says:

Can someone explain to me the cap-issues with injuries.

I know Markov counts until he is put on LTIR, but what about Halpern? If he can’t play for a couple of games (I hope not, but he looked really out of it last night) and we play Boyd, or a Bulldog, do those salaries get added to the cap?

Basically my question is do we have to put 2 players salaries against the cap when an injured player is replaced.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

5. notbigbird says:

If memory serves, thirty years ago, we spent much of the first period if not the first game brawling with them. We took the fight to them, and they went quietly after that. Unfortunately, this team isn’t equipped to do that. Of course, my memory may be playing tricks on me.

6. observer says:

Leafs went after him the same way. Oh I understand if Subban was a dirty or cheapshot player BUT NO what they are enraged about is the athletic ability he is displaying and trying his best. I remember when the NFL had only white receivers, dbacks, even many running backs, nba was basically all white, NFL Redskins owner would not have a single non-white on his team into the 60s(Bobby Mitchell),same for other sports Subban is the first potential star out of what is now MULTI-CULTURAL CANADA. 3 that’s 3 guys came after Subban late in the game one Odonnell from 15 feet away the punk grabbed Subban’s face from behind – why? Did they attack rookies Gretzky, Lemiuex, Orr like this for “trying to show up us people?

7. habs11s says:

Soon they will be selling Sidney Crosby’s sweat….

________________________________________________________________________________________________

8. HFX-HabFan says:

Neuvirth and David Krejci (surprisingly, as my third centre) are the only guys I have on all three of my teams.

Took Neuvirth in the late rounds in all three drafts and the payoff has been huge.

9. habaddict_andy says:

Let’s not go to Halpern being injured just yet.  We need that line.  Without that line we will be .500 team.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

10. HabsFanInTampa says:

LOL. Some people will just about buy anything. That water inside the bottle looks rancid.

11. observer says:

Wouldn’t surprise if he’ll be fined, even the coach too for sending that goon Shelley out after game was beyond a doubt on the power play no less.

12. habs11s says:

Unrelated but, who wants a $40 container of water? http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10847192

13. Mattyleg says:

Not sure how racism comes into that…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I see that Huggies is running an ad on this site for a year’s supply of free diapers.  Might be a great Christmas present for Mike Richards.

He looks like he knows Shane, but really, this guy is trouble.!!!!

16. ezzeloharr says:

Anywhere I can go for post-game audio?  Coaches’ press conference?  I imagine the NHL website should have this stuff…?

Feel great today -thanks. But I go under the knife again tomorrow morning. No big deal this time.

18. observer says:
    Mike Richards: “Something might happen to Subban..”

How dare that uppity one play to the utmost of his ability and  “show up (us) people” The racist Richards threatens. Bettman will be into this.
    MAGodin (twitter)

Richards: I’m not saying I’ll do it, but something might happen to (Subban) if he continues to be that cocky. http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc…ampaign=Sports (French)

M – It’s losing players to injuries due to cheap shots that worries me. I’m not negating last night’s game (and Price victory), but I really fear what might happen to a guy like Subban.  They will be head-hunting him right from the get-go.  Especially when Philly is playing at home.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

You too? Doan’s been killin’ me for a bit.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

21. Fire_Laraque says:

Question for you guys, Can Richards get suspended for his comments on Subban after the game?

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Managed to steal Neuvirth in the 12th round in one pool and with him being WSH’s starter it’s paying off big-time between him and Price. Wish I’d managed to get Pleks in a pool but everyone was just ahead of me in each draft.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

23. Mattyleg says:

I passed on Price and AK.

Regrets? I’ve had a few…

(Shane Doan)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

IF Halpern can’t play, and is replaced by Boyd, then our cap doesn’t change (they both count right now).  If we replace Halpern with White, it would increase by around $10000 a game, (as we would still pay Halpern, Boyd as well as White).

25. SeriousFan09 says:

White’s been a winger in HAM and he’ll likely play the wings on a checking line, not sure who’d draw the center assignment if Halpern is out for a couple or more, might be Max on the 4th line instead and Eller gets a little more ice time. It’s going to be ugly on Monday, Habs will have to keep their heads up and skate all night long again, wear them down and avoid the garbage. The season series will be ugly, we can best hope someone else knocks off PHI for us in the playoffs because even if we won, they’d be nasty and dirty enough to make sure we lost enough players that the Habs couldn’t go any further.

Sean Courturier doesn’t make sense with Krejci, Bergeron, Savard (If he isn’t done), Seguin and Colbourne (top C prospect in their farm system), if anything we need to worry about them getting their hands on Adam Larsson and having a franchise D to add to their blue line. Toronto’s errors are potentially building the strongest team in the East… Infuriating.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

26. HFX-HabFan says:

Too soon?

27. HFX-HabFan says:

Cammy is also currently 24 and Pleks is 26, one shy of having three players in the top 25.

I have Price in one of my three pools and he has bailed me out in the goaltending categories for multiple weekly matchups.

28. NightRyder says:

I’d take Richards in a heartbeat.

29. longtimehabsfan says:

Is Hickey driving to Philly for Monday’s game?

30. punkster says:

Ouch, that’s an insult of the highest order SM ;)

Tony is definitely being Tony today. Nuf said?

31. SeriousFan09 says:

Managed to get Price in two pools this year, he’s my MVP easily.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

32. habs33 says:

Does anyone know how Halpern is doing? Did he suffer a concussion? it looked like he was conscious and coherant when he was being helped off, but that doesn’t rule out a minor concussion.

Twitter:jrosshfx

33. Mattyleg says:

I agree that we need someone who can really drop the gloves, but we have such great depth and well-constructed lines, it’s hard to justify. Especially if we come away with a 3-0 win.

Putting someone in just to fight is a pretty old-fashioned idea, and fighters these days need to put up points as well. Look at Dan Carcillo. He’s been benched a bunch of times already this season (now he’s injured), because just dropping the gloves isn’t enough.

It’s true that it pi$$es me off to see teams like the Flyers bashing us around, but we can take it, and fights won doesn’t mean games won.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

34. CBrady12 says:

need a tissue ryan?

35. Hobie Hansen says:

Last night was one of 20 regular season games that turned out to be pretty darn entertaining. Throw in our season series with the Leafs and add another series of games in the final month of the season and that’s all the regular season is good for.

Carey Price was spectacular. He looks so big and confident that he doesn’t even resemble the goaltender he was the past two seasons. I would never boo a Canadiens’ player but I’d be lying if I told you I was 100% confident with him between the pipes heading into this season. Heading into the summer he must have had a real bad taste in his mouth and realized that dedicating himself to hockey “again” was more important than being a celebrity. I’d take him as my starter over 98% if not all of the other goaltenders in the league today.

With Markov gone, most likely for the season, I think we all know what Montreal should do with the extra money. If there is such a thing, they need to acquire a 25-goal-scorrer who can hit and fight to play on the top two lines. Then they need a rock solid defenseman who’s not only willing to drop the gloves but a guy who’s feared around the league.  We may have beaten the Flyers last night but over a 7 games series they might drive us into the ground again.

We’ve taken some huge strides over the past few years, which is fantastic, but I think we could take an even bigger step and become the best with a couple additions.

36. habfan53 says:

I’ll probably get blasted for this but I did not have a problem with Powe’s hit on Gorges , on Halpern however MINIMUM 2 minutes for boarding.  Joel Bouchard who was between the benches was saying last night that Halpern wanted to come back right away saying he was fine but Dr. Mulder chose to keep him off the ice.

Also I have to hand it to Lapierre so often called out for tautnig and running he stood up KNOWS he will probably get the S*#T get kicked out of but he did step up.

I have no problems with toughness but draw the line on goons. 30 years ago the Flyers tried this route and the Canadiens showed them that skill and speed won championships.

“THOSE THAT TEND TO FORGET HISTORY, TEND TO REPEAT IT”

37. TomNickle says:

A panel of three won’t work any better if they hire two more people like Campbell.

Competition committee should have this duty with any member of an organization in a conflict of interest removing themselves from the decision making process.

38. Mattyleg says:

Shhhhh!!!

(they’re sleeeeeeping…)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

39. Psycho29 says:

Cedric Desjardins?

40. BJT says:

Anybody know how Halpern’s doing? Wouldn’t wanna lose him.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

41. Psycho29 says:

Heh heh…Hope you’re feeling better Ian!

42. Say Ash says:

Really? Was that necessary?

Be nice now.   Don’t be a Psycho!

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Campbell being solely in charge of discipline was a mistake from the being, like it has been suggested in recent days, doesn’t a panel of 3 make more sense? Right now Campbell’s too busy covering his own rear end to actually take care of discipline and drop the hammer on Powe for twice giving out dangerous hits in a game.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

45. Psycho29 says:

I think the most important question on this beautiful rainy morning is:

Where are Nunacanadian, Observer and Xtrahabsfan today???????

:-)

46. SmartDog says:

Campbell needs to resign.  His credibility is (rightly and finally) shot.  He’s too busy covering his own a$$ to anchor the league’s regulations. Not to mention that for years people have known that he’s not the kind of figure anyone should be looking up to.  Totally the wrong man for the job.  Now that this is public how long will it take the league to act?

An answer to my question: let’s see, how long did it take the league to respond to the knowledge that head shots were causing life-altering concussions…. 5 years?  10?  20?

NHL + leadership =  a joke

———

Holy crow! Try not to be jealous but… my fiance just surprised me by getting a Habs logo tattooed on her lower back. It’s awesome.

47. habfan01 says:

Can somebody help me out here?

What was the name of the goalie we traded this summer?

48. habfan01 says:

C

double one

49. SmartDog says:

Richards is the right captain for the Flyers.  He’s a little chickensh$t and afraid of Suby.

I have to say “Danny” Briere is starting to look like a goon. It’s like the Golem transformation in Lord of the Rings… he started out a hockey player, now he looks more and more like a creature.  Weird.

———

50. avatar_58 says:

So how is Halpern?

51. kirkiswork says:

The hit on Halpern should definitely be reviewed, and if Richards thinks PK is too cocky well that is just too fricken bad.

52. SmartDog says:

The attitude of these refs seemed to be “no big deal, business as usual”.

Back to the old days now that Campbell is busy covering his ass.

———

‘The purpose of Habs Inside/Out is to teach people how to spell “traditional”.’
    And Bonne! goes the dynamite!

You got it right Dog!

I would like our media friends to ask some pointed questions.!!!!

54. shootdapuck says:

You have never been to Kenora! Aint no sheep there just “Husky the Musky”!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

55. TomNickle says:

If Richards wanted Subban’s respect maybe he should’ve fought him when Subban wanted to go.

Gutless.

56. TomNickle says:

If they are serious about these things Laviolette should be fined and Powe should be suspended.

Shelley on the ice for a powerplay with 2 minutes to go.

Powe with two almost identical hits that both should’ve had him ejected from the game, and on top of that, the linesmen don’t even allow retribution.

57. HFX-HabFan says:

Price now ranked 8 overall in Yahoo! Fantasy Sports’ daily fantasy rankings.

The seven listed ahead of him:  Stamkos, Thomas, Ovechkin, Crosby, Perry, Semin, and Brad Richards.  Not bad company at all.

58. joshua94k says:

Roy MacGregor of the Globe and Mail is always anti-Habs. Last year he went on and on about the disastrous 100th Anniversary with coach firing, player changes scandals etc. He could have discussed how the team faced adversity and made the play-offs, made key personnel changes for the better, and had the best play-offs in 17 years.

When the Canadiens outlasted the other Canadian teams in last years’ play-offs, his quote “Are the Flyers Canada’s Team” was on the front page of the Globe and Mail.

Now with the Habs having an amazing start, he brings back the French saviour topic and erroneously mentions the historical Quebec terretorial rights for players. (See the blog Habs Eyes on the Prize for a very good analysis that debunks that myth).

The fact is that French Canadian players are in short supply throughout the NHL, forget superstars. Instead he should focus on how the Habs players are embracing this city. Captain Gionta takes French lessons and addresses the Bell Centre crowd before the season opener in French. Mike Cammalleri makes an effort to address fans who approach him in French. PK Subban also said he wants to learn a little French. These are our saviours.

Ken Dryden said “Do you want a good team or a French Canadian team”.

59. boneheadslanger33 says:

Totally agree about the injuries. It is utterly ridiculous

60. Habfan29 says:

you are one smart dog on this point!

61. Habfan29 says:

exactly I cannot believe that with the Ref standing right there to the left of the Halpern hit that he did not see the shot to the head or hit from behind, just brutal might as well have minor hockey officials out there as they know what hitting from behind is!!!

62. HabsTrueBlue says:

You’re right but 30 years ago we had Robinson, Lambert, Tremblay, Risebrough, and other gritty players. I think Robinson’s pounding of Schultz established that the Canadiens not only had skill and speed but were not going to be intimidated.

Right now only Laps, Moen, Subban and Hammerlik seem comfortable playing against physical teams. In a couple years maybe Tinordi, Schulz, and White will be able to provide some more grit to this team.

63. habaholic68NJ says:

Why am I not happy?  The Habs have one of the best records in hockey and have already beaten the Penguins, Nucks, Bruins and Flyers.  The reason is that I am disgusted with what we witnessed last night and how the league allows the Flyers to get away with dirty tactics and potentially career ending plays.

Jacques Martin.  Here is my suggestion for the next week’s rematch and every other game against the Flyers until the playoffs.  THROW THE GAME.   Rest a number of our top players (including Price) and call up at a minimum White, Henry, Conboy and Schultz.  Tell the farm boys to go out and out-goon the flyers and not worry about the score. Maybe this would catch the league’s (But-Man’s) attention.

64. SmartDog says:

Flyers prove once again that they are goons.

The league proves once again that it is toothless, not unlike half the Flyers… which accounts I guess for why there was no penalty on the Halpern hit last night.

The hit worries me. Halpern is important to this team.

Sometimes I think of not watching the NHL anymore.  Seriously.  Any league where a winning strategy can be “knock this guy out and then that other team will be weaker” is not worth supporting.  It’s not because injries happen. It’s because of how this league lets them happen.  It’s irresponsible to the players and the fans.

———

‘The purpose of Habs Inside/Out is to teach people how to spell “traditional”.’
    And Bonne! goes the dynamite!

65. TomNickle says:

Both hits were deserving of major penalties by the letter of the law and in the case of Halpern’s hit, the officials would’ve had no choice but to call a major penalty if a call had been made at all.

66. Habfan29 says:

What little respect I had for Mike Richards is gone. He is basically advocating that someone take Subban out, the league has to do something about this. Alex Henry and Conboy should be called up for Monday’s rematch. If the league lets the hit on Halpern or Georges go unpunished, Powe and Shelley on the ice for a power play with 2 minutes left then they league is totally bush! oh wait Colin Campbell is in charge of discipline, did he not play for the flyers at one time???? The habs might as well forget the league doing anything. Was not the elbow to Georges a blind side hit to the head????? Sure looked like it!!!!!!!

67. TomNickle says:

There are positions that command respect but Mike Richards not being 30 years old yet doesn’t put him in one.

Notice Subban not taking cheap shots at Pronger?  They needed to answer for Powe.  I’m very disappointed that it took that long for somebody to do something.  Would have been nice if Moen had been the guy or if the linesmen wouldn’t have been stupid and separated Lapierre and Powe when Lappy got back to his feet.

68. KenD29 says:

I say leave him there, end result !

69. TomNickle says:

I’d far rather have my teammates’ respect than the oppositions’.

He must be trash talking quite a bit on the ice to rattle people like this, and if he is, good for him.  God knows he’s dealing with it coming his way.

70. Propwash says:

If one demands respect, they haven’t earned it.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

71. SeriousFan09 says:

Classic line about Mike Richards making his comments about Subban needing to show respect to him on Twitter: Pssht…Please. Dude’s from Kenora, where the men are men and the sheep are afraid.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

72. Drive4twenty5 says:

I would agree with that. But for that game I would Sit picard and put Alex Henry on PK line for that game

“Well, he’s a thoroughbred, and maybe your wife doesn’t recognize that, but then again, I can’t bake bread all that well. We all have different skills.” …Bob Gainey “Classic”

73. B says:

I often refer folks (usually Toronto fans, go figure) to Liam Maguire’s great article when they try to whine about Montreal’s unfair drafting advantage over the years:

74. habs-hampton says:

Well stated!

What has Richards ever done to earn ANYONE’s respect?

75. G-Man says:

No pizza with onions today.

76. Malreg says:

Thanks for bringing that up, brought me back to earth.  I mean, something that happened 3 seasons ago, with a different coaching staff, and 95% different roster, while the goaltender was just a rookie, is definitely something we should all reference after every win this season.

77. newbrunswick troy says:

Question i need answered, Now that it looks like Markov is indeed done long term , how does that effect the teams cap space….can they go and buy or trade up for a definite top 4 d-man???

i ask this cause although the defence are getting it done now….Hammer & Spacec will soon tire out…we seen this last year…

Thanks, Trolly.

79. SeriousFan09 says:

Except the Habs didn’t win the President’s Trophy, they were #1 in the East but Detroit won the President’s Trophy with 115 points overall.

This is a far different team from 2008, Price has matured in play, mental toughness and technique, Plekanec is a far more complete player and the depth is much stronger. Didn’t have a natural-born sniper like Cammy than either or such efficiency in 5-on-5 play.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

I see… that’s rough

81. Malreg says:

Apparently getting in 5 fights as a rookie like he did gives you permission to cheap shot and be an arrogant asshole to anyone you want.

82. Ton says:

interesting this PK issue

I did see him make a great rush and I did see a flying sliding check from a flyer that literally without exageration started at the hash marks!! So what the flyers are really saying is; he’s hotdogging because we can’t catch him.  Subban was already inside the goal lines making his turn. Reality of it is this guy can make others look silly with his edges. Ablsolutely great edges that are fined tuned. Bobby Orr had this skill and so did Larry Robinson. Having said this he needs to tone it down a little for the Habs don’t have team toughness. I am against goons but we are short an agressive style player that can play hockey. We have one in Hamilton and its beyond me why he is not on the big club. As for PK he’s young and bringing him into perspective is a Hab task not a MIke Richard’s one.

83. surprise says:

why does pronger always steal the puck?

is he that big of a douche?

84. joeybarrie says:

Actually the team that won the PRESIDENTS TROPHY in 2007-2008 WON THE STANLEY CUP.

Guess trolls are clueless about hockey.

Philly lost to the Pens the next series, and I feel the need to point out that the last time the Flyers won the Cup the New Jersey Devils were called the Kansas City Scouts…….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

85. tippytoes says:

Could someone tell Subby-Doo that this is the NHL and not the NBA. This cocky attitude has to stop. Stop chirping and trash talking and play the game. I know for a fact that his own team mates do not like his arrogance….Play the game and keep your trap shut until your establish  yourself.

Never before has a rookie on the habs acted this way….Robinson, Chelios, or even Roy.

P.K…Check yourself before you reck yourself.

86. cautiousoptimist says:

Hey Troy, here’s an explanation of the impact of injuries on cap space, from About.com:

• A player expected to miss at least 10 games and 24 days due to injury can be listed as a long-term injury (LTI).
    • An LTI can be covered by replacement players, as long as the
      replacement salaries do not exceed the salary of the injured player.
    • If the replacement salaries would push a team over the salary
      cap, the team is allowed cap relief, but only for the portion of the
      salary that exceeds the cap.
    • When the injured player returns, the team must immediately comply with the normal terms of the salary cap.

So if Markov is gone for more than 10 games and 24 days, the Habs can pick up a replacement player who makes Markov’s $5.75M salary or less (minus the salary Markov earned for the handful of games he played this year).

87. johnny_habs_4ever says:

So its okay to say in April that it “feels like ’93″. But when I say that it “feels like ’08″, all i get is “noooooo don’t saaaaaaay that, booo hoo hoo”.

Maybe we need a catchy song to make it a little more acceptable.

Annakin Slayd, I’m looking at you.

BTW Annakin, Darth Vader called and he wants his first name back.

88. CBrady12 says:

Lol who are you exactly to be tell someone in the NHL how to play….”this is the NHL not the NBA”…what are you trying to say exactly…

89. soperman says:

He is a bigger douche than anyone can imagine.

Get well soon, Andrei Markov

90. johnny_habs_4ever says:

Maybe we need a catchy song to make it a little more acceptable.

Annakin Slayd, I’m looking at you.

BTW Annakin, Darth Vader called and he wants his first name back.

91. cautiousoptimist says:

I guess there’s always that song you like — the one about how the Leafs are Canada’s team…

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  92. shiram says:

Hal Gill a few games ago told P.K. to be more vocal and assert himself. I dont know where you get that his team-mates dont like his attitude.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

93. cautiousoptimist says:

You can diss the team, the players, the city, no problem.  But their sandwiches are awesome. : )

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  94. shiram says:

I don’t think he won’t ever give a straight answer to that, but i feel he is just trying to get under the skin of other teams, another step in their thuggish way of playing.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

95. soperman says:

I like PK and he does listen to JM (the least razzle dazzle coach in hockey) who apparently tells him to limit his “Subby-Doos”.  If Martin is okay with them occasionally, let the kid be.  He has style and flair.  I came to Montréal last month to watch a game and I did not get to see a Subby-doo.  I was disappointed.

Get well soon, Andrei Markov

96. cautiousoptimist says:

97. punkster says:

You gotta stop spilling the beans about all that talk you hear in the Habs dressing room every day. You’re violating their privacy.

98. CBrady12 says:

way to repost there rook

99. light_n_tasty says:

The Habs will get cap relief in the amount that adding Markov’s salary to the current payroll would put them over the cap.  Markov’s hit is 5.75 million. Basically, the Habs can go spend up to 5.75 to replace Markov while he is injured.  But once he comes back, they must again comply with the cap.

It doesn’t matter that the Habs already had about 1.5 mil in cap room.  They don’t get Markov’s salary + the 1.5 mil they already have.   While Markov is injured, the Habs cap will be around 65 Million.  When he comes back, the cap goes back down to around 59.5 mill or whatever it is, and the Habs have to comply.

100. andrewberkshire says:

This comment is 100% true.

101. johnny_habs_4ever says:

Mike Richards, is that YOU?!?

102. punkster says:

Pardon, we didn’t hear you the first time.

103. Chuck says:

I dare you to tell that to the kid’s face.

Canadiens to push NHL for new ‘Markov Rule’

104. Harani says:

Jeff Halpern and Josh Gorges are NOT at practice. It’s big loss for the Habs if eitherof them are out for some time. Hopefully, they will get well soon.

“It must be love!”

105. surprise says:

it seems like it..

it’s not like he’s collecting those shutout pucks and stanley cup pucks to give to children with cancer..

if he was he would say something..

106. light_n_tasty says:

You wouldn’t subtract the salary that Markov earned for the games he played this year.  It just makes things more complicated. You don’t need to subtract because the players replacing Markov will also have a discounted salary given that 1/4 of the season is over.  Instead, just use the cap hit for the full season.

107. punkster says:

5′ 10″, 170 lbs.

Uh, what?

108. Dintrox says:

HIO posters were asking about Malcolm Subban. The younger brother of PK that plays between the pipes in Belleville. Nice article from the hockey news. http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/36113-THNcom-Blog-PK-not-the-only-Subban.html also a little bit about the youngest brother Jordan a midget AAA D – man.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

109. joeybarrie says:

It is nice to at least have something that feels like success. Personally I would be crying right now if I were helping Boston to ANOTHER top 5 pick, and my team still sucks and is the laughing stock of the NHL…

EVEN the Versus announcers were asking what kind of team are they building in Toronto. It’s almost as if the Ontario Teachers Union has purchased stock in the Bruins….

TO gets worse, Bruins get better, and people still say it’s Canada’s team.  Im sorry, but REAL CANADIANS don’t lie down and get worse while helping their opposition get better… Remember the Summit Series???  Maybe you have to go back further since the Leafs haven’t won a Cup in 40blah blah years… Soon they will be forced to retire al together and turn into the Hamilton Leafs…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

110. Malreg says:

Why should he stop chirping?  Trash-talking is part of every single sport.  The fact that people are getting so riled up about shows that it’s working.

If every NHL player was as energetic and enthusiastic as PK is, the NHL wouldn’t be the lowest of the “Big 4″ sports in the USA.

111. andrewberkshire says:

Exactly what I was thinking. That statement tells you everything you need to know about this guy.

112. CBrady12 says:

I think it was obvious that Halpern was concussed last night…so it should come as no surprise that hes not practicing today…georges…hopefully just a therapy day

113. andrewberkshire says:

Hoping that’s just a precaution, therapy day for the two of them. Regardless Powe should be suspended long term. Two illegal hits in one game.

114. Malreg says:

He does it to divert attention away from his team’s poor performance when they lose.  It’s actually pretty smart.  After the game no one asks questions about how his team performed, they just ask about the puck incident.

Worked like a charm in the playoffs.

115. Caballero says:

Hey who knows, maybe there will be another collapse, but that’s what makes the game so exciting. I am sure you know this because I am getting this vibe that you are the type who watches F1 hoping for a deadly crash. I watch the Habs hoping for victory, but recognizing that something horrible can happen at any time.

116. newbrunswick troy says:

On a different note:  Notice how the refs rallied behind the Leafs last night??  handing out 8 straight penaltys or until they finaly tied the game……thats pathetic, i would be ashamed if the same happened to the habs!!!

so i reviewed the highlights and sure enough they were all phantom calls

117. shiram says:

Great read, truly a hockey family.
    Malcolm is the calmer of the two, being a goaltender.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

118. Omit says:

Would you prefer PK skate on tippytoes or like a MAN?

119. TheDagger says:

I wonder who David Booth respects more?

120. notbigbird says:

The thing about Philthy that I can’t respect is that they can dish it but they can’t take it. They’re immature schoolyard bullies and not real men.

121. andrewberkshire says:

Good news on Halpern and Gorges, it’s a therapy day for them, so likely no major injuries.

122. rated_R says:

I dont get it. Why are you comparing NHL with NBA? You do know there’s more trash talking in hockey than b-ball right? Second of all its not a cocky attitude. Its a confident player. That’s why he’s had so much success so far in this league. We always say that some of our young players have lost confidence or lack confidence and when we do have a player who has it all you complain? Where do you get your info from? “I know for a fact that his own team mates do not like his arrogance”

123. Maksimir says:

Just read that… I don’t know I think maybe PK should hold back a bit on his on ice comments.. I wouldn’t want to see him gooned.

124. arcosenate says:

TSN has picked up on the Flyers and Subban:

I find it hard to believe that Mike Richards, Chris Pronger, etc. would have the cajones to talk about respect in the NHL. They have no respect for anyone on the ice, and don’t deserve an ounce for it.

It’s going to be a hell of a ride between us and them if this is what happens after one game!

125. Chuck says:

I’m guessing that if PK were a Flyer that Richards wouldn’t have a problem with him needing to ‘earn respect’.

Canadiens to push NHL for new ‘Markov Rule’

126. Fansincebirth says:

Richards – 5’11″ 200 Lbs

Subban – 6’0″ 206 Lbs

Step up or shut up Richards

127. Fansincebirth says:

He is going to get gooned though, Cherry has marked him.

128. avatar_58 says:

What a crybaby. WAAAAAH I got beat by a rookie. Cry some more. It’s about damn time we had a player the league feared. Get used to it boys, Subban is a hab for life.

129. Maksimir says:

I thought Cherry liked PK?

But he is young, he’ll probably learn, but it would be nice for Gionta or Gill or someone to tell him to tone it down.

130. avatar_58 says:

Nothing like a blowhard cocky old man telling a kid not to do the same. Do as I say, not as I do.

131. ZepFan2 says:

He has OPD. Obsessive Puck Disorder. He can’t help himself.

I feel for the big lug.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

132. Fansincebirth says:

CHerry likes him but called him out on HNIC about yapping at Cindy Crybaby. Said “he’s gonna get hurt”

133. KenD29 says:

He’d still be yapping, telling PK to stop as it was making him (Richards) look bad!

134. Omit says:

This is the M.O. of all bullies.

All the Habs have to do is stand up to them, hit them back and out-score them, and you will the frustration ooze from their pores.  Then we will have their number.  No goons are needed.

135. rated_R says:

LOL

If someone on the Habs’ team should address Subban’s attitude, then someone on the Flyers’ team should address the whole team’sattitude. Report this comment!

136. avatar_58 says:

Hahahaha Roy didn’t act this way? Roy was 10 times as cocky.

Also they don’t like his attitude? Martin is that you? No? Then you have no idea. Last I heard Gomez (who is a cocky bastard himself), Cammalleri and Price love him and his attitude. He doesn’t just talk the talk, he walks the walk. Richards is just jealous.

137. KenD29 says:

Probably they (Richards and Pronger) were a little cranky at that point in the locker room as they had not had a chance to change their diapers.

138. ZepFan2 says:

You “know for a fact”, really?

From TSN:

“Subban’s confidence has also been noticed by his teammates, with forward Mike Cammalleri referring to Subban as “Primetime”.”

Better check your facts.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

139. avatar_58 says:

Don’t know about you guys but I’m LOVIN this anti-Subban sentiment around the league. Maybe you guys prefer the teams respect us, but I don’t. I *want* them to hate us and our players. They can hate us all they like as Price shuts them out and Subban shuts down their top scorers.

Funny, it’s ok for other teams to have mouthy superstars but not the habs? Yeah that Crosby never mouths off. Ovechkin – I bet everyone LOVES his goal celebrations.

Keep it up PK, get under everyone’s skin and take them off their games.

140. Eric37 says:

Just heard the Richards interview. You got to be kidding me! I’m kind of stunned that of all teams, and of all the captains, Mike Richards of the Phladelphia Flyers is speaking out against the cockiness and confidence of a rookie with some jam in his game.  By the way, P.K. earned his wings in the playoffs last year.  What gives Richards the right to talk about how another player on another team is performing? It’s not like he’s Sean Avery out there. Of all teams, you think the Flyers would appreciate that play.  This is a team with Scott Hartnell on it.  We should also be talking about Powe’s TWO headshots.  I lost respect for Mike Richards right then and there.  I hate to even bring this up, but it makes you wonder if this is a race issue.  Let;s get some mics on the ice and hear what they’re saying to each other.

E.

141. Rugger says:

Loved all the comments backing PK at the bottom of the aticle

142. punkster says:

Where did you hear it?

143. Gormdog says:

Not a race issue – juste a douchebag issue.

For the first time in a long time the Habs have a complete player from top to bottom in every single aspect – I’d be really annoyed too if he kept smiling at me with those pearly whites while he was shutting my team out.

144. avatar_58 says:

You know what grinds my gears? Not that Richards is complaining  – I LOVE whining from losing teams – but why did TSN write their news post as if it’s fact? Oh he’s not the only one saying this, blah blah. What is that about? Just report on what he said, don’t try to write it as if PK is indeed too cocky.

Notice how only the teams that lose to the habs complain? Only the players shut down by him? Yeah, case closed. People complain about goalies too, remember Ovechkin?

145. Eric37 says:

I agree it’s not a race issue, but it’s so douchie it does make you wonder.

E.

146. forskis says:

What I do not like about this Subban stuff is the following:  people for years have said that the Habs have no grit, no swagger, no attitude and that lacking these things would not help them win nor get respect…along comes these things and now we hear:  bad attitude, can’t be cocky, earn respect, tone it down.

Honestly, what do people want from the Canadiens?

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

147. smiler2729 says:

Mike Richards decapitated David Booth, that says all you need to know about his class as a player… forget the bum.

148. rated_R says:

i was saying the same thing. I don’t know what the fuss about PK’s attitude. I love it and he needs to keep it that way.

149. Mikey_39 says:

They’re a bunch of sore losers.  It started with Crosby who lost in the playoffs.  And now Richards who DEMANDS RESPECT! I can’t stand him or any other dirty player on that team.

150. Caballero says:

That Giroux article was interesting. Another talent who says he used to dream about playing for the Habs and how he is inspired when he plays against them. When are these young talented kids who dream of playing for the Habs going to play for the habs instead of using that building as inspiration to beat us.

151. HabsFaith says:

Cocky? Next time I want to see him lay richards to the ground :)

152. SmartDog says:

LOL  Grinds my Gears.

Good point too.  To TSN an anti-habs article is the next best thing to a Burke-just-had-a-crap article.

———

153. andrewberkshire says:

Twitter, my friend. Renaud Lavoie.

154. KenD29 says:

And no further discipline will be taken by Campbell on the hits!

155. SeriousFan09 says:

Gorges is just showing Halpern where he got his skeleton replaced with titanium.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

156. Malreg says:

I really don’t understand where all this hate and talk of lack of respect from P.K. is coming from?  Because Don Cherry thinks P.K. isn’t allowed to look at a “star” player after a whistle?

He hasn’t given any cheap hits or dirty plays that I’ve seen and he doesn’t randomly attack people.  Richards says he has no respect because P.K. grabbed him when Richards was going after one of our snipers?  How dare he!!!!

So what if P.K. runs his mouth after the whistle?  Last time I checked trash-talking has been a part of every single sport since the beginning of time.  But I guess since it’s a Canadiens rookie who is going to be a star player in this league, it counts as a lack of respect.

Last point…  Who is Mike Richards to be talking about a lack of RESPECT?!  Where was his “respect” when he tried to end David Booth’s career?  He says that someone on the Canadiens should talk to P.K. about it… Pretty ironic since he captains a team that consists of Pronger, Carcillo, and Hartnell.  Go talk to your own boys about respect.

157. TheDagger says:

Is Chris Nilan still in game shape?

158. Nina76 says:

rated_R……………GOOD ONE!!!!!!!!

159. Corio says:

Good post, I totally agree!

160. Malreg says:

Does Georges St-Pierre know how to skate?  If not I say we start teaching him… He’s such an amazing athlete that he would probably be twice the hockey player Laraque ever was after only a year or two.

161. G-Man says:

Mike Richards is captain of the Flyers. That’s all we need to know- he is the king cheap shot artist who likes to do it when the opposing (sniper type player) is helpless and his back is turned. He is nothing but a gutless piece of smoething that exits your body after consuming one of those awful cheese steak sandwiches (that they are so proud of).

Colin Campbell is the “dart board” disciplinarian who is as corrupt as they come. Bettman is a strong believer in hockey at 30° C in the desert. Both are a blight on the game.

I don’t understand. Are you upset about something?

163. johnny_habs_4ever says:

Dear HabsInsideOut.com members,

Remember in 2007-2008 when the Canadiens won the president’s trophy, Price looked invincible, and the team looked unstoppable?

Then you got ripped a new ***hole by Philly in the second round of the playoffs?

I’ll be here to remind you this fact every so often to burst your bubble.

Sincerely,

Green Troll

164. KenD29 says:

Yes, him too!

165. krob1000 says:

Listen guys…PRonger has earned the respect to pick up game pucks and mouth off to the media, Richards earned that respect too…he can be a sore loser…he is Mike Richards, Scott hartnell is not dirty he is respected…see the difference…Carcillo? respected..Powe? respected..Shelley? respected…

Quite frankly I think PK and the whole Habs team for taht matter were very disrespectful to the Flyers…they are made men in the NHL…yuo cannot just disrespect these guys…at one point Gionta ( stanley cup winning captain actually had the nerve to get mouthed off by Nikolai Zherdev…another who earned tons of respect in the KHL last year and throughout the league…..then there was those Flers thinking they can just hit JJosh Gorges and Jeff Halpern in the heads…well…because they are not respectable guys.

I think from now on the HAbs PR poepl should show Rodney Dangerfield clips when we play the Flyers, play the RESPECT song and have the Godfather music also playing….we need to respect these Philadelphia Flyers…they have earned it and it is high time we honour that.

166. Rusty says:

Mike Richards is officially a fool. Respect? The captain of the biggest goon squad in the history of the game speaks about respect. The captain of a club that nearly ruined the sport in the mid-70s with its savagery speaks about respect. The captian of a club whose players never hesitate to injure an opposing player. Mike Richards – Oh, what a fool. Talking about respect. It’s like hearing Bin Laden talk about peace and tolerance. Mike Richards is officially a fool.

Rusty Stubb

167. JF says:

Halpern seems to be OK.  According to RDS, he should play tomorrow.

168. observer says:

the great shutout the habs specialist leighton did not play last night. he has the ability to hypnotize them into taking as little as one shot on goal at him in a period.

169. rocketsglare says:

Richards talking about respect. Are you kidding me. He seems to be smarting after the Habs took

it to him last night. What a whiner and hypocrite.

170. jrshabs1 says:

Note to Carey Price: Do not shave the Movember Stash.

Go Habs Go!!

171. shiram says:

Superstitious much?? Or do you just like the look?

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

172. samTHEman says:

1) With all our players healthy (Markov), and the way our forwards (-Gomez) and Price is playing, a case could be made. The series would definately go to 7. It’s hard to say. If the Flyers are going to go head hunting and take cheap shots, it’s up to the Habs to be on guard at ALL TIMES when on the ice. Use your speed to get around the defense and be very careful along the boards.

2) Rough play is fine as long as the main target isn’t the head and a blindside hit. I’d like to see more open ice hits like Mesjaros on Pouliot last night or the one on Toews last year. Those are strong legit checks. Cmon boys stop being scared and hit from behind when the player has no idea you’re even comming at him. Cowardly!!

3) If the only aspect they bring to the game is size and toughness than no. To win the cup you have to be well-rounded. this is why Keith and Weber are so damn valuable. Players like that don’t come very often. They can skate shoot pass check….ala PK!

4) Hard to say. There could be some injures but you can’t fold or play your superstars less because you’re afraid of facing potential injuries. Be smart and keep your head up.

5) If you are talking about Plekanec Gionta Cammalleri, they are all in great shape despite injuries. Plekanec has never sustained a serious injury. I’m not worried for them in terms of being worn out. Worried about Hamrlik and Spacek though.

173. avatar_58 says:

I don’t. I mean movember good on ya, but man. He’s not a stache-type.

174. observer says:

habs also fought them face to face – watch the hbo torrent that series ends the documentary and the bullies forever———————–

175. PrimeTime says:

What goes around comes around….Habs and Flyers rivalry renewed and in the forefront again. I love it! Last night was a statement game for us and Monday the Flyers will have the same opportunity. As we did in the 70′s, the best offense is on the scoreboard….it’s all that matters. Habs played like men and the Flyers played like boys who had their candy taken away.

Although we won the 1st game between they are tough to beat. We’ll see if we come out “shy” against their goonery next game. I’m a proponent of speed & skill hockey but as I posted in the past, we are more fragile than other teams and the lack of physical toughness will be a factor that will need to be addressed before the playoffs.

Lastly, I think Richards will find himself on the wrong side of any talk of Subban being cocky. PK is earning respect by playing lightouts D and becoming a major contributor to the team on every level. Being called out by Richards proves that PK is making a name for himself. If Richards doesn’t like it, then GOOD! If being “cocky” makes PK play better, then so be it. He will be C for this team someday and it will be earned….and Richards and others know it!

176. Gormdog says:

I really enjoyed this post until I saw who posted it.

177. observer says:

he showed anyone with a brain just who and what he is. also alerted campbell and bettman to watch that game oh so close and anything flyer players do. did he get that upset at stamkos for scoring too much or playing too well as a rookie or is it another issue in the sick mind of richards that bothers him about subban. guaranteed today his owner, his agent and others told him to shut his ignorant mouth.

178. habfan53 says:

Just a few Facts on Carey Price

WINS    Price 71  (T-15)       Next    Brian Hayward        72        Leader  Jake the Snake  314

Games  Price 151 (T-15)      Next   Jocelyn Thibeault   158        Leader  Plante               556

Shutouts Price  7  (T-16)      Next   Lorne Chabot           8         Leaders George Hainsworth  75

179. Chuck says:

I dunno… there’s something a little bad-ass about a dude who has a hard time growing a mustache, but is willing to try anyway, regardless of the results.

Canadiens to push NHL for new ‘Markov Rule’

180. jrshabs1 says:

Can’t argue with the Movember stats.

Go Habs Go!!

181. Corio says:

Man Monday’s game is going to be crazy!

182. cautiousoptimist says:

JF reported it first below, but here’s the link: RDS says Gorges and Halpern are okay.

183. Say Ash says:

It’s better than Darche’s

184. Landof10000lakesHab says:

In response to posts that imply Mike Richards is a cheap shot artist and / or a racist.

Mike Richards is a top 15 offensive player in the NHL, wears a C, plays the game hard, and is a Gold medal winner. I was amazed that the Flyers were able to draft both he and Carter in the same year. While others were lusting about Vinny over the past few years, I would have much preferred to see Habs draft or trade for a Mike Richards.

Yes, there have been incidents involving Richards (Booth) that were considered dirty, but it’s not like the Habs ice an innocent team every night – as Pleks, Cammi, and Laps all had suspensions in the last year. Things happen at high speed on the ice  … it’s not like we’re talking about Matt Cooke (multiple suspensions) here.

Mike Richards was likely frustrated by the shutout and with PK as per his poorly chosen “respect & cocky” words after the game. I bet MR would be thrilled if PK was wearing a Flyer uni.

PK is the best young talent the Habs have seen in years and his confidence will attract league wide attn. No player comparisons here - watching NHL network earlier, talking how Orr was constantly attacked first year and how his tough / aggressive style helped him to thrive. PK needs to ensure he responds to the attn on the ice and not with the media.

I am more concerned about Habs playing the Flyers 3 more times and dealing with Powe, Shelley, and Carcillo types. Habs beat Flyers last night due to another sensational CP tending effort, great special teams, and solid team D. I will be more confident about Habs beating a Flyer type team in a 7 game series, when players such as White and Shultz who blend skill and toughness are ready to contribute on a nightly basis. Add in a power forward - Max Pac type (again, when truly ready) on the top 6 and the Habs will truly be able to contend on every level, and with any team.

185. Mr. Biter says:

1) Flyers suck

2) Price is playing great and will take us to the promised land. His anticipation of the flow of the game in the Habs end has never been better and he is heading to the top tier of goalies in this area.

3) White should dress next Monday

4) we have the 3 rd lowest goals against (L.A. & Boston are lower) so how come there are still certain Trolls who post constantly that the defense is to old or slow and that We should have kept Halak instead of CP.

5) Hell froze over again! Laps actually dropped the gloves and though he did not fare well did change my opinion of him (as a Yapper only).

186. Nina76 says:

krob……ARE YOU SICK!!!!!!! nothing wrong withPK he plays well. Don’t change big guy ,Richards is just jealous that he cannot do the things that PK can do….Shut your big mouth Richards & any other  Philly players. That will be the day when I HONOUR THAT DIRTY TEAM JG & JEFF have earned their RESPECT BIG TIME ALOT MORE THAN THE FLYERS & have alot more CLASS …………………………GO MY HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THEM.

187. Hobie Hansen says:

It’s just painful to think that the Flyers are going to be slapping the Habs around on Monday night and there’s nothing we can do. If we win we can say that’s the most important thing… I guess.

They took Halpern out of the game last night, roughed up Georges and are making threats towards Subban. All we can do is sit here and hope they Flyers don’t hurt us on Monday. That’s sad!

We could sure use an Odelein, Manson, Quintal or a Corson type of player right about now…

Wins are most important but being a bunch of wussies in kind of demoralizing.

188. HabsProf says:

During the 2nd intermission last night, Keith Jones (on Versus) talked about the loss of Markov.  He said that Markov is such a good defender he “even made Mike Komisarek look like a strong defenseman”.  He then went on to say that Mike doesn’t look so good now.

Don’t know if someone else mentioned that already, but I thought it was a line worth sharing.

_____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

189. KenD29 says:

Nilan or Kordic too!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

Hahah… good on him. I bet all the leaf homers just about sh!t their pants. Did anybody see what Belak said about Avery on TSN? Hahah… he said that if Avery were on fire he wouldn’t piss on him. :)

191. Corio says:

Perfect time for a new icon!

192. cautiousoptimist says:

Belak stole that one from Bobby Hull, who first said “I wouldn’t urinate in his ear if his brain was on fire.”  Not that I disagree with the sentiment. : )

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  193. Chuck says:

Just gotta do what the ’76 Habs did: beat ‘em on the scoreclock. That’s the best revenge. When they engrave your name on the Cup, they don’t make note of how many fights you were in.

Canadiens to push NHL for new ‘Markov Rule’

194. smiler2729 says:

I was in Grand Bend in a bar on that fateful July 1st afternoon in 2009 with a couple Leaf fans. We had to find somewhere with TSN and watched as the signings unfolded.

Cammalleri, Gionta, Gill, Spacek to Montreal! Cool!!

Komisarek to Toronto!! I laughed and spit out my beer and told ‘em “good luck with that guy, you’ll see, Burke’s an idiot!!! And why are the Leafs always picking up Habs’ garbage??”

I was right… again.

195. cautiousoptimist says:

1) No idea, but we’d have a much better shot than we did last year.

2) Sure rough play has a place in the game — but dirty play is something else entirely.  You want to hit a guy who has the puck, go for it.  But don’t hit him from behind, or in the head, and don’t leap off the ice to do it.

3) I think a guy like Jody Shelley is just a waste of a roster spot and cap space, but a Zach Stortini-type player who’s tough as nails and also a good shutdown forward who can eat up minutes: that’s the kind of guy I’d want on my team.  Chris Neil’s another one who contributes with more than just his fists.  Steve Ott too.  And Lucic.  Even Raffi Torres.

4) Sure — you can’t hit what you can’t catch, and the Flyers are skilled and strong but not the swiftest team in the league.

5) I don’t think the team’s size will affect things much at all — and I’m not sure you can say they’re small.  After our snipers in Cammy, Gionta and Gomez, our forwards aren’t small at all, and neither are our D corps or goalies.

196. G-Man says:

1. No- just give back what you receive. If a Hab gets hit from behind- the gesture must be returned in kind. 2. It requires other to step up their game, so yes. 3. yes- rest Price after every 4 or 5 starts. 4. His shots reaching past the goal line? He has never stopped working and is a streaky scorer. 5. Both have made the NHL what it is today- Mickey Mouse with no end of the stupidity in sight.

1. 1000 times yes. and the dirtiest as the come.

2. Well, he wins most of the faceoffs which  means puck possession. So losing him may mean a few extra goal against us which is not really a problem if we either shut down the opposition or score 7 per game

3. Yes. Next game would be a good one for him to play

4. Probably something mexican Gomez slipped into his food.

5. Bettman hired Campbel, so ultimately everything is on Bettman. Campbell is a corrupt brainless sleezeball who should go back to a farm. He doesn’t ahve to throw himself off the bridge. He can get stuck under a combiner, for instance.

198. Rugger says:

1. No, Bruins have goons, it didn’t protect Savard.  Hockey player first, if he is tough enough to fight great, but rather have a good hockey player.  Goons don’t protect, they retailate.  The only way to stop it is take out a star in retaliation.  What good does it do to take out Powe after a dirt hit? Eye for an eye, not little toe for an eye.

2. Yes, this team steps up where needed

3. Yes, against Toronto

4. simply luck, he was getting same opportunities and shots before but was unlucky.

5. Bettman, but Campbell will be the sacrificial offering in trying to save Bettman’s reign, kind of like Nixon having Agnew resign to divert attention.  Don’t care how Campbell leaves.

199. habs-hampton says:

1. The league supposedly discourages goons, but does nothing to back it up, so every team needs one. But we  don’t need a Boogaard, we need a Nilan!

2. The PhD line is playing great! Hard to replace him and get the same chemistry.

3. Next weekend (Atl or Buff).

4. Patience. It was simply a drought. He had lots of shots and close calls. Now they’re going in.

5. Bettman, hands down. Campbell has to step down. I can go to a party and vent about co-workers and bosses, etc. But if I put in writing for everyone to see, I’m done!

200. SmartDog says:

C’mon guys… Gionta goes from 3 points in 14 games to scoring EIGHT points in his next 4 and no-one thanks Plekanec.  Seriously.

.. and interesting that we’re split on whether the Habs need some sort of tough guy.  I’m convinced they do.  Not a goon formally, which is useless, but a Fisher kind of guy at least.  Someone so that PK doesnt’ end up being our enforcer because that’s what’s starting to happen. Awesome how he stood up for AK. We need more of that but who’s goign to bring it?

———

201. punkster says:

1. No. Please, not another waste of bench space for the 1 in 10 games that this is required. It would help if Max just went berserk once in a while instead of trying to “box”.

2. A Halpern-type player is key to this team. If he’s out we’ll find another journeyman/soldier.

3. Here’s a thought. How about playing Auld against Philly next week? I fear the Flyers will try to intimidate by running both PK and Price. Give Auld the start, let him hack a few crease-crashers and if he gets tossed then bring in Price.

4. November. Who doesn’t like November? It’s my birthday month.

5. Bettman. But I would like to see Bettman throw Campbell from that bridge.

202. shiram says:

1. No, i dont think we should play their style of game, its not suited to our system, and that would take a roster spot from skilled player most likely.

2. Yes it hurts alot, he’s been a key addition to the team this summer, so his absence would change our team dynamics.

3. I have not checked the calendar, but he is young and should have the stamina to take alot of games. Unless he has a bad streak i wouldnt play him untill we have back to back games, or if we play western division teams.

4. Gionta?

5. Bettman

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

203. punkster says:

Your troll for an anti-Gomez comment was a bit weak today, SD.

;)

204. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:

1. Do the Habs need a goon to keep up with the leagues supposed top teams, at least one of which specializes in trying to disable opponents key players?  I’m going to give my answer here on this one: yes.  Tired of goons beating up Habs skilled teams and our being helpless.

2. Can we be the same team without Halpern?  Sad that this has to be a question after a dirty hit.

3. Should Auld play soon? Or do you just let Carey keep going and going and going….?

4. What is responsible for Gionta’s sudden outburst of scoring?

5. Who’s done more damage to the game – Bettman or Campbell?  Would you rather see Campbell step down or throw himself off a bridge?

———

205. Malreg says:

While a goon or heavyweight would have certainly been useful last night, it’s just not worth wasting a roster spot, messing with the lines, and wasting cap space for someone that will only be useful 5-6 times a year, and play 3-4 minutes a night.

The Flyers are pretty much the only team that we have to worry about…  There was no problems when we beat Boston last week.

206. thorandresson says:

Maybe they’ll bring up Henry for the next few games, he played with Subban last year so there’s some chemistry there, and things might get uglier next Monday.

207. Danno says:

1 – Unfortunately, yes. If the refs are going to allow things to get out of control and give carte blanche to goon squad teams like the Flyers, then we have to find a way to police the thugs ourselves. Don’t like the idea, but it appears the league is willing to allow this stuff to go on unchecked. We need to find an enforcer that will make everyone think twice before they play dirty.

2 – I think the team is remarkably adaptable and has proven it already by winning without Markov. Halpern will be missed and I hope he’s back soon, but I don’t think it will be an insurmountable loss, especially now that the first two lines are producing.

3 – Play Carey until he says he wants a rest. He’s red hot and seems to get better every game. Why sit him down and risk having him cool down? Keep him in that zone.

4 – Pride and heart. It was obvious that Gionta was upset during his slump and it seemed to really bother him to the point where it became a question of honour for him to return back to his winning ways. I think he has tons of character and I’m really glad to see he’s back in the groove again. Now the goals will come his way in banana-sized bunches.

5 – Hard to answer that since they both symbolise what’s wrong with the NHL today. And Campbell should just do the honourable thing.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

208. KenD29 says:

let’s hope!

209. KenD29 says:

And Lappy was suppose to have taken boxing lessons over the summer. At least he threw down his gloves…

210. Bill J says:

There’s no way PK signs in Toronto, he is a DIE hard Habs fan.

Interesting Note: so is Nazim Kadri….

;)

Price no longer has a Glove side issue.

211. KenD29 says:

And he is a Toronto native… they would be lining Young street for the parade if Burke landed him at some point.

212. Gormdog says:

That is the crux of my argument against him not being locked up forever. If i were Brian Burke i would go as far as pure unadulterated collusion ( “Hey Pernell, how does 8 million a year sound if you hit the FA market?” ) to get this man on my team.

213. shiram says:

Well maybe so, but if he wants to win, he wont sign with the Leafs. Didnt he say he wanted to play in Montreal and prefered them over the Leafs??

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

214. smiler2729 says:

Karl Subban, his dad, grew up in Sudbury a Habs fan and young PK is a Habs fan from birth, there’s no way he goes to Toronto unless it’s for insane money and then play to help the Leaf losing continue.

215. samTHEman says:

If he ever signs in Toronto I will personally go up to him and beat his @$$! Ok…maybe not, although I’ll do a much better job than Lapierre.

216. adam76 says:

Jody Shelley STILL in the NHL?

C’mon, man!

217. sholi2000.com says:

You spend the entire summer bitching and complaining about Halak vs Price and now you wear his jersey?????

pft

They Call Me Shane

LOL… I just think he doesn’t like to be upstaged. you know, the spotlight is not on him so he gets all pissy. Richards is wortheless and I hope PK does come down to his level and just runs him head first into the boards from behind.

219. Storm Man says:

He sure was talking alot shit To Subban on the ice and from the bench. I wonder if Richards has some KKK in his family tree.

220. KenD29 says:

How are the sights?!  Anything like your avatar?!

221. Storm Man says:

The sights are A+…. and the one in my Avatar is here in Calgary…. Guess you need to giddy up here sometime :).

222. KenD29 says:

Definitely another perk !

Calgary… sadly.

224. Mattyleg says:

Oof.

Buddy of mine came to Mtl recently from Cgy, and said that the worst thing about coming to Montreal was having to go back to Calgary.

That being said, I’ve never been there.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Well… I shouldn’t complain to much since after all I left montreal to afford my family a comfortable living and Calgary enabled me to do that. But man, I truly truly with every ounce of my being hate the drivers in this city. Today I didn’t bother going to the office. Seeing how it will be snowing through the weekend I will not go to work until monday at least. Thank god for the flexible environment I work in but still… My wife is not so lucky and it took her 1 1/2 hrs to get to work today what is usually a 25 minute commute.

Another thing about Calgary is that it depends on your lifestyle whether you feel comfortable here or not. If you like night life and simply a huge variety of activities available to you Mtl or TO (bleah) is where you should stay. But for neither my wife nor I are great partiers and with a little one we do home-work-home some outings on weekend (great outdoors here) so… Calgary is just fine except for the f#$^#ing drivers. Oh and the flames. But they are just comical.

226. KenD29 says:

Hmm… no office until Monday and it’s Wednesday. Calgary may have a perk!

227. Storm Man says:

Hmmmmm where in Calgary was that buddy of yours. Im in Montreal right now for a week but Calgary is my home right now, If you are looking for night life Calgary is not the place, Montreal hands down, But no PST here and you can make a ton of dough here and if you want to work from home you can as driving around here in rush hour is a joke. I live in upper Mount Royal and I hate the drive downtown. Calgary is a great place to live but my heart will always be in Montreal.

228. TheDagger says:

Well a lot of the drivers here have the brutal combination of A) Driving a car for the first time, and B) Seeing snow for the first time. It is far far too easy to get a drivers licence.

229. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh. My sis lives there, and I’ve heard all about the drivers.

She’s huge about the outdoors, so she loves it there.

And as for the Flames, I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart (head?) for them.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

230. Fansincebirth says:

Holy crap Shelley looked like a Neanderthal sitting in the penalty box last night.

My apologies to Neanderthals everywhere for the insult….

How many times are people going to say “Yes, Montreal has won some games and look good but, THIS is going to be their first real test”?

231. adam76 says:

I met Jody Shelley in Halifax.  I was a young man, and had a part time job at the corner store while in High School.  Jody comes in, having won a free can of Pepsi.  Before he could get his pop, he had to answer one of those skill testing questions (6 + 3 – 2 = ?)

Jody wrote down “purple” as his answer.  Nice young man, but you will never see him as a contestant on Jeopardy.

232. novahab says:

That meathead coach tried to send a mesage late in the game by putting Shelly and his goon squad out on th ice. He was telling the Habs you are coming to Philly Monday night and we will give you pay back goon style. The management of the Habs should go to the league and demand the coach to be suspended and Powel should be gone for a cheap head shot to Georges. late in the game Subban had to fight of four different flyers trying to get at him. Markov was lost during the playoffs because of a cheap shot and now he losted again because of a kneeing from Staal. Montreal will continue to lose players because they don’t carry goons. So PG and the Molsons start carring a goon or speak up and put the pressure on the league. I would pefer the latter I love the way the team is playing and Subban may turn into the most exciting player in the league if the Flyers don’t mug him Monday night. Then again we have the biggest meatheads in Hockey coming in Saturday night so the flyers may not get a chance to break Subban legs.

233. lenny says:

Proud to be a HAB fan this morning. Carey enjoy it, YOU deserve it.

234. W35T5ID3 says:

Amen,brutha.

235. Fansincebirth says:

Always proud to be a Habs fan…just more somedays than others :o)

236. W35T5ID3 says:

ok …I DONT CARE WHAT ANY OF YOU SAY…i’m gonna tell ya it like it is and what is gonna be:

—-Price wins the Vezina…..(i said it b4 …i say it again)…

—-SUBBAN is the ULTIMATE hab and plays like he’s a vet ……THE 29 other NHL clubs are DROOLING TO HAVE A PLAYER LIKE PK.HE BRINGS NOTHING BUT POSITIVES AND SKYHIGH POTENTIAL.He is truly unique and there aint no one in this league like him.He’ll get Calder trophy.

—-The so called experts or analysts u see on tv always seem so hesitant to give this group of habs any credit when it comes to top tier teams in the NHL.Well, we are.KNOCKING off PIT & CraPitals…..HELLLLLOOO????That takes a TOP team.OUR FRIGGIN TEAM.We are THAT good.WHY?Because we all play for each other …TRULY as a team….better than any other in the league.We have a team full of winners …vets…characters….leaders…..scorers…..grinders ….youth…..YOU NAME IT ….we got it.

- – - -ITS TIME THIS TEAM GOT CREDIT GODDAMMMNIT!!!!…..

—In closing…..

………………………………We are gonna win the cup this season.Watch.

237. pmaraw says:

price, vezina, quite possibly.

subban, calder, unquestionably.  norris, he has a chance.

the so called experts that I see are 4th liners usually.

I would like very much for one of our reporters to speak to Gauthier to find out how there was not even a call for the head shot on Halpern. And if there was going to be a review of that incident and the conduct of the Flyers coach and team by the league.

If this league is serious about cleaning up the game, then it is up to the media to ask the questions that keep the pressure on, please.

239. TomNickle says:

This Colin Campbell business shows you just how serious they are about it Ian.

Campbell doesn’t like Savard so Cooke doesn’t get a suspension.

That’s where we’re at.  So what happens if somebody kills Sean Avery with a blind side head check?  Do they win the Lady Byng?

240. coachdoug says:

Great win last night!  I want to see the hockey pundits put some salt on that crow they are eating…

Next week does concern me as clearly Pete L. has bought into the Philly system of goonery when all else fails…

If Halpern is out that is really bad because he has been a big part of the team success…

Is there anyone on the farm who can fight?  I know JM says we don’t need no stinking enforcer…but the Habs will have no lunch money when they leave Philly…

I guess we will have to count on Colin Campbell and the “Wheel” of NHL justice to protect us…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

241. TomNickle says:

Halpern being absent for a week or two could open the door for White to come up.  I’d like to see him in the lineup against Phili.  If they don’t think Subban shows them respect just wait till White suits up.

242. secretdragonfly says:

Has anyone heard anything on Halpern – he hit his head pretty hard on the ice after taking that cheap shot and lost his helmet and I’m hoping he’s OK.

243. SmartDog says:

You win the dog bone Timo.  My pick for best answers!

———

244. TomNickle says:

Our goaltender who can’t make a big save, win a big game or be consistent is currently 11-5-1 with a .930 save percentage and a 2.05 gaa and three shutouts.

245. Habfan29 says:

enough said, Price is Fantastic…….

246. Habfan29 says:

great one that cracks me up!!!!!!!!! Was Colton Orr with him?????

247. adam76 says:

Jody Shelley, Tie Domi and Colton Orr on the next celebrity jeopardy.

248. Say Ash says:

“I’ll take your head off for nothing, Alex.”

249. Fansincebirth says:

Should put them on Wheel of Fortune but you’d have to start the puzzle with all but one letters up.

Pat Sajak (after 20 exhausting spins) – “It’s a H, a Goddam H. I LIKE TO PLAY ‘H’OCKEY!! F**K IT!!! I quit!

The league better start protecting the players, if they are wanting a more finesse speed game, instead of the broad street bullies game. Other wise someone it going to take it upon himself and give a goon a two hand-er across the nose with the stick, at the risk of his career.

I could sure see this happening if they don’t stop it now. The day of teams paying millions to carry these meat heads are suppose to be over. The league better get serious protecting players or there is going to be a serious incident. Mark my words.!

251. TomNickle says:

Ian.  I’m more upset with the linesmen who did that game than I could ever be with Campbell for not dishing out supplementary discipline to Powe.  They knew Powe was going to have to fight, and after Lapierre falls and gets to his feet they break up the fight before he can get engaged again.  This crap from last night is going to carry over to Monday and if Halpern is out, White or Conboy should be called up for that game.

252. TomNickle says:

The Flyers are very fortunate that we don’t have any idiots on our team.  If we did, one of their skilled players would’ve been very hurt before the conclusion of that game.

If they call me up, I’m coming with my 30.06.

254. Habfan29 says:

White would be perfect and for good measure bring up Henry, things will be a little different on Monday, but I doubt that Jacques (Count Chocula) will go for that….

255. TomNickle says:

Henry won’t get called up but White might.

256. Caballero says:

We definitely need someone who can prevent things from degenerating. Makes me think of Iginla. Didn’t he once skate up to our bench and say if anyone wants to go I am ready? That’s the kind of badass we need just to keep things on the straight and narrow. You can’t just take it all the time. Lapierre’s heart was in the right place but he is a pest, not an enforcer. In other news, Gomez can’t buy a goal!!!!!!! Dude, snap out of it!

257. VancouverHab says:

Aw c’mon. It’s just ridiculous to be ragging on Gomez at this point. Whatever his points totals are, who do you think is a major part of our PK–which P.K. & JM both correctly identify as the cornerstone of our current success? That’s s.u.c.c.e.s.s “success,” as in “if it aint broke don’t fix it.”

Gomez is doing a lot of things very well which contribute to the team success – including take the opposing coach’s resources away from double-lining Pleks.

258. punkster says:

We’ve got more good centers than most teams. What we need is another established winger who can finish. As for D, we’ve needed an additional one since last season but these guys don’t grow on trees and I’m opposed to rentals. This is already a dangerous team and still a year or two from full potential. No need to rush.

259. Kamal Panesar says:

The Habs look really good right now and there are still a bunch of holes on the team.  If they can keep playing well, it will put Gauthier in an excellent position to shore up some of the potential problems.  Namely, toughness, another top-4 dman if Markov is gone for the season, and a true second line center.

A few tweaks and this could become a truly dangerous team.

Kamal writes for HabsAddict.com and Hockeybuzz.com.  Follow him on Facebook and Twitter.

260. andrewberkshire says:

Gomez isn’t a true second line center? Since when?

261. habaddict_andy says:

A true second line center?  What did you have in mind?  Gomez is 7 million cap hit.  Could we move him?  Or keep him and get another multi million center which does not make sense since we are tight already in cap.  Moving him is not possible but we may never know.  But yet why change what’s working.  Just because he is not scoring does not mean he is not part of the puzzle for Canadiens success.

262. punkster says:

I get tired of both the overt and veiled Gomez crap. The points will come. In the mean time he’s contributing.

263. avatar_58 says:

Richards is a p*ssy for not fighting Subban. Wimp. Respect? Earn it like a man. You skated away like a scared little baby. I, for one, was cheering Subban on to kick his ass regardless of the ref. What’s wrong Richards, habs not rolling over for your goon squad?

264. observer says:

richards is as brain dead as cherry. no! he is worse because if subban now does get hurt i hope they sue the crap out of him worse than bertuzzi. brain dead and bettman will soon say or do something!

265. samTHEman says:

For next phill game, White for Pyatt and Henry for Picard. Henry will be paired with Subban to protect him. He’s a stay at home defensemen so it works out well for Subban. White will add some grit and energy to the 4th line and he isn’t afraid to drop the gloves.

266. habs11s says:

As much as I’d love to see the Dirty Flyers get beaten up, especially a cheap-shot artist like Richards, I say leave the lines as they are, they are working for a reason

Remember: Play our game, not their’s

What was the point of shoveling all the snow last night when I got to do it all over again some 12 hours later? Useless.

268. Mattyleg says:

Uhhh… where do you live…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

269. shiram says:

Exercise?

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

270. Mikey_39 says:

Does anybody know what happened between Gionta and Pronger at the end of the game? From what I understand they fought over the game puck. Gionta got it and gave it to Carey.

271. SmartDog says:

Why would Pronger fight over the game puck except to be a complete assho…..  oh. I get it. Never mind.

———

272. HabsoluteFan says:

Gionta wanted the puck for Carey’s shutout…Pronger did what he did all Finals last spring, picked up the puck to prevent Gionta from having it.  I heard Gomez also came in and Pronger finally gave’em the puck

273. MD says:

He went to pick up the puck for Price.  And of course Pronger tried to pick it up too like he did last year in the finals against Chicago.

274. shiram says:

Pronger is just being a bully and a very poor sportsman, showing absolutely no respect. and then he plays it off with humor.

What he is trying to do is annoy the other team, trying to get under their skin.

He just comes off as a childish 36 year old.

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

275. Hobie Hansen says:

Well, well, well…I think for the game on Monday in Philadelphia we should definitely make a call down to the Bulldogs for a couple scrappers. Bring in Alex Henry to play as our 6th defenseman and Andrew Conboy to play on the 4th line. These guys may not strike the fear of God into the Flyers but at least they won’t let them off easy!

In the long run, or even over the next few days, make a trade for some added muscle that can play the game as well!!!

276. habsgod says:

better yet hobie we need pg to trade a pick to the rangers for derek boogard! the flyers won’t touch any of our players ,or play dirty with the boogie man on our bench

277. lenny says:

I’d rather have victories then the Flyers or any other teams respect :)

278. namgel says:

What disrespect ?  He played em tough all game and shut em down.  Thats respect.  What did he say to Richards ?  did he say something about his Mama ?  Whats Subban supposed to do back off when he’s challenged ?  Play like Komisarek so as not to “Disrespect” the other players in the league ?  How bout Richards little School Girl Slash on Subban’s Leg ?  How much of a Fairy are you to resort to that.  Hey if I can call Cammalleris Slash against that Islander turd wrong,  what Bitchards did was no better.

279. forskis says:

For those asking for the Richards, Hartnell comments…kinda odd that the author said that Richards earned respect in the League by having five fights as a rookie…last time I checked, fighting vets as a rookie is what he is complaining about with Subban.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

280. habs11s says:

Interesting comments about respect from a guy who almost ended David Booth’s career…

281. JasonM says:

NEWSFLASH! PK gets under player’s skins, proceed imemdiately to Hamilton.

Of all people… Richards… RICHARDS is talking about lack of respect… really? Is it groundhog’s day or something?

I love how PK is doing this to other players and still dominate in his gameplay.

282. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Ugh…the MacGregor article is such crap. It’s the kind of piece a 1st year journalism student would come up with.

283. cautiousoptimist says:

Agreed — looks like he was late on deadline and mailed one in. Says a whole lot of nothing.

284. madcap_habsfan says:

Has anyone else seen Scott Hartnell yammering on about Lapierre choking him? I find that a little hard to believe coming out of the mouth of player whose team got away with way too much who posed with justin beiber for a pic

-”People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

285. Storm Man says:

Hold the bus…… Jeff Skinner may have something to say about who wins the Calder this year. PK is playing good but at this point Skinner is playing great.

286. forskis says:

Different perspective…their homer perspective, of course…what I did not like was the sidebar about the PK/AK46/Richards scrum…he basically pinned it on AK46 not dropping the gloves and giving the hit; of course, their homer neglected to mention that it was Richards with the first cross-check that started it and AK46 responded in kind…

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

287. Corio says:

Lost a lot of respect for Richards, keep that stuff in the room and stop whining to the media!  Pathetic!

288. Propwash says:

If you have to ask for respect, you haven’t earned it.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

289. Mikey_39 says:

He’s such a child.  I just saw an interview where he was claiming he wanted to give it to a fan.

That’s what remote control is for.

291. Gormdog says:

Am I the only person thinking we should give Subban one of those front loaded mega contracts before the CBA is tweaked to disallow such things?

I mean, I don’t even know the technical rules about signing extentions to rookie contracts, if such a thing is even plausible…

But is there ANYONE out there who doesn’t want PK on this team for the next 8-10 years?

Yes there are always risks with such contracts (injuries, bad attitude, complacency, anything that resembles an action Garth Snow would take), but I really dont like the (potential) idea of Subban even sniffing the FA waters before he’s 30.

What he brings to the team is invaluable. Although Markov is a better positional player, Subban is more valuable to us (already!) on the back end because of his compete factor, physicality, instincts, and, apparantly, the ability to get in his opponents heads. Could you imagine what a player like him would fetch in an open market when he hits 27?

Over the next few seasons he will become the face of our franchise, and I personally am very comfortable (once again, if possible), giving him 6-7 mil a year starting at 23 carrying through 32.

Maybe I’m being selfish. Maybe I just love watching him play so much. Maybe it will cripple our organization when his mouth catches up to him  as well as injuries from his rough and tumble ways…

But I doubt it. Subban is the real deal. I’m not drinking the Kool-aid: in fact it’s the opposite. I was reserved about Subban, the hype, the general awesomeness. What i’ve witnessed since his call up is a near bottomless talent with an attitude that has been SORELY lacking in our organization for many years.

Subban is a winner, whichever way you cut it. Why would we ever want to part ways with a winner?

292. samTHEman says:

I hope PK plays his whole career in Montreal. Hopefully he doesn’t pull a Komisarek on us. How pissed off would you be if he did? How much hate and animosity would that stir in Montreal? I can’t even begin to imagine….Oh boy! peeeeeeeekaaaaaaaay peeeeeeeeeeeekaaaaaaaaay peeeeeeeeeekaaaaaaaaaaaaay

We have now begun the PSP era (Price – Subban – Plekanec). Spread the word my lads!!!!

293. cautiousoptimist says:

I’d love to sign him long-term, and I think he’s got a long bright career ahead of him, but you’ve got to wonder what a mega-millions contract does to a kid his age — even one with his head apparently screwed on straight. Besides, the kid knows he’s good and will only get better — why would he lock himself up long-term?

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  294. G-Man says:

I want to see Subban here all his career, too. Give him 5 years right away as an extension? Hate to say this, but no. His agent will try to get the best deal possible for him, so without the threat of walking away, the agent’s leverage is very limited. By waiting for RFA status, the agent will gain his client millions more.

295. kirkiswork says:

Didn’t Sid the kid sign his long term contract as a second year player ?

296. SmartDog says:

Somewhere out there is a 6’2″ Pyatt. Unless you think he’s too good to be replaced

———

297. habaddict_andy says:

Rely on Bettman to do something to his Flyers.  Wouldn’t hold my breath.

And nice to see the observer replacing his perspective glass for a change.

298. Storm Man says:

Great game last night. Cry me a river Richards must have been out of gerber last night. I can’t wait to see the next 2 games here at the Bell.

299. SmartDog says:

Who’da thought Richards was such a pussy?  I mean is it just me or did he run from Subban?

———

300. andrewberkshire says:

Let’s start an HIO petition to get Mike G to burn his Mike Richards jersey and film it!

301. Gormdog says:

I agree to a certain extent, but you have to realize whether it is 2 years or 12 the next contract PK signs will be so much money he won’t know what to do with it. I feel that part is moot.

But yes, i agree that PK probably wouldn’t want such a thing… Part of what makes him good is his knowledge thereof!

302. keepthefaith says:

Agreed. Give Gomez two solid wingers and watch his pt totals go up. Really who is going to score with 2/3 of a 2nd line. No offense Lappy but you are not a top 6.