Surprising series

338795-esprits-echauffes-pres-filet-tim

Photo by Reuters

It’s not exactly astonishing that Tim Thomas is winning the battle of Vezina Trophy finalists.
But hands up everyone who expected Brad Marchand to be outshining the Sedins.

Vancouver D crumbles

Cam Cole on struggling Luongo

Boston D smothers twins

Pierre LeBrun: Issues run deeper than Luongo

• Roy MacGregor: Gnawing uncertainty returns

Scott Burnside on Julien’s Midas touch

Confusion on head-shot rule

Guest Comment from Rob D:

Bruins are..gasp..the better team. Van is soft, easily taunted into wrestling with the loutish Bruins, and their goaltending is now suspect. It looks like those last 4 goals last game got into Luongo’s head cause he looked like crap tonight and not just on the goals.

Where is all this talent on the forward lines and depth along the D we kept hearing about all year for Van? It’s not shown up yet in these finals at all.

The win the next one..back in business..but its hard to see how at this point. They don’t seem to have another gear and the effort level they are showing up with just isn’t going to cut it. Especially if they keep taking the bait which the Bruins must be ecstatic about.

1. fofe84 says:

If by, “hands up everyone who expected Brad Marchand to be outshining the Sedins,” you meant, “hands up everyone who expected the Sedins to behave like a couple of see-you-next-Tuesdays,” my hand is up.

2. cmrose says:

Somebody needs to call Don Cherry on this:

• fofe84 says:

Maybe it’s just the way he hates the Habs; maybe it’s racism. I suggest the latter because it seems that if Cherry has a problem with your culture, he pretends that he can’t pronounce your name. “PK – or whatever his name is – Subban…” Yes, Don, it’s PK. We know you’re illiterate, but we suspect you can say “PK.” In fact, you just did. No need to add, “or whatever his name is.” Notice when he’s paying tribute to a dead soldier how hard he works to pronounce their names properly. Don Cherry is a national embarrassment.

• Rob D says:

LOL..that’s a near perfect comparison. Where’s the “respect” for the Sedins from Marchand on those featured plays , eh?

But if you are looking for anyone at the CBC to call Cherry out on ANYTHING..you’ll be waiting a long , long time. I’d love for someone sane like Stephen Brunt to be on HNIC to act as a balancing force. Actually, I saw Brunt once go on air and talked about how Cherry is basically not worth taking on. He’s got too many friends in the media and he makes the CBC cold hard cash. Plus he’s very popular .

I really think Cherry will hang himself one day on air and I can’t wait for that moment when the old bigot stutters his way through some rant about foreigners or Frenchies or whomever and finally gets his plug pulled at the CBC. But I may be dreaming about that since he’s said plenty and still has a job.

3. D Mex says:

The guy that I expected more from in this series was Bieksa. Yes, the Canucks D is banged up and adjusting to new pairings etc but, beyond dropping his cup on the ” move ” by Lucic on the 4th goal last night, this guy has really not been a factor.

What’s interesting about his non-performance right now is that comments here not long ago suggested he would do wonders for the Habs lineup, and last summer there were similar posts about the Sedins.

Bieksa might be handy to have around for the likes of Boston and Philly, but Wiz plays with just as much (if not more) grit and more offensive upside. As for the sisters, their current play against a physical club says it all – they’re good where they are.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

4. Mattyleg says:

Okay, okay, yadda yadda yadda.
    Bear vs. Whale: everyone’s Animal Kingdom showdown come true?
    Zzzzzz… wake me when it’s over.

SO, Gomez, eh?

Who here honestly thinks he can pull it together for next season?

I’ll give you my take in a bit.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Sean Bonjovi says:

If “pull it together” means 15G 50+A and not getting scored on constantly, then I do. I’d give him Max Pac and Cammi and call it the 1st line, and let Pleks, Gio, and some UFA play against the other team’s 1st line.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

5. shiram says:

Habs resign AK46, on their official site.
    one year deal

6. kirkiswork says:

After suffering a severe concussion Horton was at the game last night. The same Boston people who thought that patches same injury was over rated cuz he went to a movie a couple of days later thought that Horton showing up was fantastic.
    Wonder what Dr. Recchi has to say about injuries being exagerrated to get a suspension now.

• shiram says:

Movies are more intense and fatiguing than an NHL locker room in the Stanley Cups finals, obviously.

• D Mex says:

I am trying to think of a former Hab that I dislike as much as Recchi, not easy to do and it is a very short list. I would see him on the street and have a hard time NOT calling him Doctor Recchi :-)
      The nonsense he came out with after Pacioretty’s neck was broken by Chara was entirely out of line. Hmm, maybe this is what results from playing for Boston AND Philly (scarier thought : what would playing in Philly do for Marchand, who achieved zero-class status while he was still in major junior)

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• JayBee says:

It bothers me that nobody’s making a stink about this.

That’s why you don’t open your mouth especially about injuries because the same damn thing might happen to your team. Recchi really bothered me with the comments he made.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…To Dave and Boonski …really terrible HIO has such shallow coverage of Our development camp …shame !

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

8. Weird…I can’t make comments

9. This series in a nutshell is a joke. Almost all the players are doing these stupid things after the scrums, on ice and off ice nonsense. I think that they are doing this for themselves especially the Boston Goons they are stuck in some big time self pride.

10. MathMan says:

I’m very surprised with Vancouver. I think they are still the better club, and they really are still the favorites, but I expected them to do better than that.

The West is supposed to be much stronger than the East, and Boston isn’t exactly the East’s best club, so I expected Vancouver to outplay the Bruins at least to the extent Tampa did, which is why I felt the Bruins would be overmatched. That hasn’t happened outside of Game One, which is very surprising to me. It implies Tampa is better than Vancouver, which just seems whacky to me given the hype the West has received. Maybe the conferences are closer than it appears?

Also, Boston is facing their third straight goaltending meltdown? Seriously? Sometimes you don’t need to be elite to win a Cup, you just need everything to fall into place (cf: Carolina in 2006).

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The superiority of the NHL’s western conference is a myth.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• MathMan says:

That may well be, but if so, the myth is based on a pretty impressive record in interconference play.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Not that impressive when you take a good look at them. This season was something like 107 Wins west + 88 Wins east + 75 overtime games. The Canucks were 2-5-2 against the top eight teams in the east, but 9-0-0 against teams that missed the playoffs. The bottom teams in the west are better than the bottom teams in the east.
          “Two-line-pass” hockey or “western conference style” hockey is far less taxing over 82 games than the kind of hockey the Habs play against the Bruins, Ranger, Devils, Penguins, Tampa ect…
          IMO Detroit plays east-style-hockey and the Capitals play west-style-hockey. how have those teams been makng out?

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

…this series is giving me a likely well-needed opportunity to enhance My sense of humility …I could not have hereto conceived the Canucks allowing the Bruins to anally impose their will a second consecutive game
    …which has probably been biased by living out here on the Wrong Coast
    …forgetting I am first and foremost a Hab Fan, and by genetic compulsion supposed to abhor EVERYTHING Bruins, I have to admit I am conflicted
    …these 2 last games have made me reluctantly ‘respect’ the Bruins (…don’t worry, THAT won’t last very long)
    …Tim Tom reminds Me of Our Gumper of years long gone …Marchand is an un-Lapierre Rat that is a brilliant hockey player and backs up his shite by unhesitatingly dropping the gloves (…someone here from his hometown in NB, previously said he was a despicable person away from the rink, but if I want to win a hockey game I certainly would look the other way)
    …I like Claude Julien …good person, …plodding, yet a good coach
    …I wish Bergeron was a Hab
    …Ryder is a good Newf …and a solid hockey player
    …THERE ! …I spilled the beans !
    …hope the Canucks come back with a vengeance …BUT, …I respect a lot of what the Bruins are doing in this post-season

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

12. RetroMikey says:

Bruins should be up 3-1 in the series. No surprise they are making a run at the Cup and seeing all those faithful fans in Beantown tells me that the Cup is coming finally home to an original 6 team again!
    Yes, our Habs fans on this site, they are a very good team and hope Mr. Gauthier makes some trades so we can be as nasty as them next year or else, we’ve got a long ways to sip the Perrier Jouet or Dom Perignon. Let’s cheer them on as they would certainly cheer us on if we played the Canucks in the final guaranteed!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Willy says:

I HIGHLY doubt any Bruins fans would be cheering the Habs in the finals and i refuse to cheer for the Bruins. It’s just plain wrong.

• RetroMikey says:

Oh yes, they would!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• OneTimer says:

You are beyond delusional my friend. However much the Habs fanbase hates the Bruins, it’s 10x stronger going back the other way. They HATE us.

And that is fine with me, I don’t normally hang at the zoo, so don’t need any bruins fans cheering for my team.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Are you nuts? Have you noticed the vitriol by their fanbase this year? Even they were after Patches for being a ‘faker’ with his injury.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• RetroMikey says:

I don;t give a squat about your opinion or others on this site and jump the bandwagon and say “boo Bruins, boo Bruins” young lad.
            Ask any fan outside this site who they would root for and you will get the answer you and others are not expecting.
            Most fans in Beantown would want the Habs to win the Cup if they made it, believe it! You are too young to understand the history and tradition of original 6 teams.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• shiram says:

Not the first time you post this, but usually very few agree with you. Basically, you can cheer for whom you want, but your arguments have little weight in changing people’s opinion of who to cheer for.

• HalifaxHabs says:

What a joke you are if you think Bruins fans would ever cheer for the Habs.

Your whole obsession with original 6 teams fans, cheering for each other teams, only makes sens to you…. to everyone else, it is very stupid

I think the only 2 Orig. 6 teams whom fans would cheer for is Detroit and Montreal. The 2 classiest of the Orig. 6 by far and away.

Chicago no one despises because for years they were never a threat. Has been nice to see there resurgence.

As for Boston, Toronto and New York, they can go eff themselves.

• PeterStone says:

Cheer for the bruins ? You kiddin’ me ? So, lets say you are dating this beautiful girl … my personal preferences would be Cameron Diaz, or Nicole Kidman, Demi Moore, Jennifer Connelly and or Anniston as well as Selma Hayek ( its a long list ) , but you can fill in your own names … and lets say Tom Cruise/Zac Efron ( trying to appeal to all ages here ) comes in and sweeps her off her feet, and she dumps your sorry butt .. are you rooting for Tom Cruise/Zac Efron to seal the deal ? or most likely, thinking Tom Cruise/Zac Efron has bad breath, hes short, hes weird , he’s a bad dresser .. and what the hell she see in him.

Well, the Habs are Ms Hayek and Sealing the Deal is winning the cup … and that short MF better keep his hands off my girl, or its gonna get ugly in here .. so, we arent going to root for the bruins. got it.

13. joeybarrie says:

Seems to me Boston is just plain stupid. Every time they start playing “Boston” hockey they win by ALOT…
    150 or so penalty minutes and they always seem to outscore the other team by alot.
    Why wouldn’t they simply keep that up?
    Its not like they will get a suspension or anything.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• kakey says:

On the other hand they only seem to play “Boston” hockey after losing some games while trying to play “regular” hockey (either during the regular season or in a series).

I did not watch their series sweep vs Flyers. Were they both playing “Boston” hockey?

14. HabFanSince72 says:

An E.coli outbreak in the B’s hotel. A bad one. Half the team on dialysis. That kind of thing.

Is that too much to ask?

15. HalifaxHabs says:

HH, responding to your post below

Here’s the 4th line you are hoping for, and it will only cost us one cheap UFA…

White Konopka Moen

now, to figure out who that big winger to play on the top line will be…

16. Fansincebirth says:

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but……

After watching ‘The Hit’, the muggings, the brutality of the Bruins vs. Habs saga and again seeing it play out in the playoffs against us and other teams, I just have the sick feeling in my gut that the stars are aligning for the Bruins to win the cup. They seem to be protected by a league that would rather sell Brutality-on-Ice than hockey. How many times do we have to see the Bruins go unpunished for brutalizing other players?

Got to admit, I had a sadistic grin on my face when Horton went down. I couldn’t bring myself to give a crap after watching Chara’s hit on Max and for what seemed like a lifetime, thought I had witnessed someone being killed on the ice.

My hatred for the Bruins is deep, and it won’t go away. A buddy of mine is a long-time Bruins fan and he fully expected me to be cheering for the Bruins because they beat the Habs. WRONG! I hoped the Flyers would beat the crap out of them but I was disappointed. We came close and so did Tampa, two team who rely on speed and skill. The ‘Nucks played the last two games much like a couple of games we have all witnessed between the Habs and the Bruins where the game looked more like a bunch of Grade sixes playing a bunch of Grade twelves a game of football.

• Favorite Son says:

Or….maybe we could just all do the mature thing and admit that the Bruins are a great team. Yes, sometimes they goon it up, but in the playoffs they’ve stepped away from that somewhat and just focused on playing while remaining gritty. I know, I know, we all hate Chara, Marchand, Horton, Recchi, but they are great hockey players. As much as I hate to admit it.

17. Thomas says:

I was just reading about the Rangers buying out Wolski & Drury and I got to thinking about Gomez. Are the Canadiens able to buy him out? Does anyone know what it would cost out of salary and cap space?

Cheers,

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I haven’t been around the site much recently.

Scott Gomez buyout from CapGeek.com

■2011-12: $1,801,587
      ■2012-13: $3,801,587
      ■2013-14: $4,801,587
      ■2014-15: $1,944,444
      ■2015-16: $1,944,444
      ■2016-17: $1,944,444

• Thomas says:

What do we all think….worth it?

If the team was willing to get to these extremes as to consider buyout, first experiment with a year of him in Hamilton, season after he becomes a cap friendly player to teams trying to reach the cap floor. Would rather go this route than have a 6 year bad memory.

Team is going to give him another chance it appears. At this point we have to hope something clicks, please ……. between him, Maxpac and Gionta.

• PeterStone says:

BINGO. Or even better, pull a Huet on him , loan him to the Swiss A league. Sadly, I think you are right, we will see him again next season. They should insist he put on the 91 back on, because his work ethic certainly doesnt remind me of the last 11 we had on this squad.

• HardHabits says:

I agree about putting him back to 91. 11 doesn’t suit him.

• GrimJim says:

Short answer, no. Look at the hit for the 2nd and 3rd years. That is what a 25-30 goal scoring UFA would get paid. Personally I think Gomez rebounds next year to a 55-60 point level. After next season it will be a new CBA and I think the NHLPA will try to get a “designated player” exemption clause similar to the NBA’s (just speculation here). Now, here is the question for you, would you be as pissed about Gomez’s production if he cost the cap $0?

I wonder if either Engqvist or Nattinen will be capable of centring the 4th line next season?

• DearyLeary says:

I wouldn’t count on it.

• Favorite Son says:

Interesting subject. As centres we have: Plek, Gomez, Eller and DD. But for sure I think Engqvist would be better for the 4th line as opposed to Eller or DD. Nattinen still has a long way to go before he reaches the NHL.

Would like to see his size centring our 4th line. We waste DD or Eller by having him on the 4th line. They need to be given opportunity to use their offensive skills and gifts as it pertains to DD, he has that hockey sense pointgetters have. I know Eller did better at centre than wing, but would be curious to see how an Eller/DD/Kostitsyn 3rd line would fare.

• Mike D says:

I was think about that too. And also Pouliot/Eller/AK46 with DD somewhere else in the lineup. If we want/expect Eller to be a top 6 center one day, then we have to give him skilled players to play with while he develops. We can’t just put him with energy guys and plugs and expect him to suddenly gel with scoring wingers one day.

- Honestly yours

19. Praj12 says:

Wow this site truly is a Hockey news site now and no longer a HABS site. Very few stories on how the HABS are doing during the off season. I couldn’t give a rats A$$ about how Boston ( puke) or the Canucks are doing. How about going out and gettin more stories on the HABS!!! Something that we care about as HABS fans. I frequent the site less and less due to the lack of HABS content.

• Favorite Son says:

Habs are out of the playoffs and a bunch of nobodies are taking part in the development camp. There, you’re all up to date now.

• G-Man says:

Agree. Less and less coverage of development camp and prospects and way too much about the Brucking Fuins.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I know… I used to come here for the Habs news, not the regular hockey news, that’s what i use TSN for. And this site does not compare to TSN’s for all around hockey info.

League stats section coming soon i’m sure.

• NDGhabsfan says:

I couldn’t agree more. Even crummy bleecher report and the fourth period cover our team more than this site does. I acknowledge the fact that we’re all meant to be hockey fans full stop and of course the vast majority of us are following the cup final if for no other reason than Bruins-centric schaudenfreud or boredom. Maybe mixed with a touch of patriotism. Anyway the point is there isn’t anywhere near as much habs stuff on here since the name changeover. We check this site because we’re religious fans of the greatest sports team in the history of civilization. We live for stats and all feel that same flutter of butterflies in the pits of our stomachs whenever there’s Habs news of any kind. And yes a lot of us dig the rumors and gossip, even if it’s indulging a weaker part of our psyche. We will consume every scintilla of conjecture or speculation (the Sundin saga, a decades worth of Lecavalier blue balls, Jagr’s last hurrah). We will do all of these things because we love our team with every part of our beings and now, in the off season, we need this more than ever. The draft is 2 weeks away and you post 7 articles about the women’s curling exhibition match we all watched last night anyway. I’m high.

From failing hands…

20. Tony McLean says:

Another blow to the myth of European supremacy. Not to mention more evidence Lou is an uber choker.

http://prosportsblogging.com/nhl-hockey/even-the-big-men-have-to-go-down-sometime/ (Liam McGuire blog)

21. canuckbot says:

Irish Leprechauns are to blame for the Bruins being in the finals. Murphy, Campbell, and Burke keep league officials in their pocket.

22. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Forgetting how I feel about the Bruins for a second, forgetting how close our Habs (can I still say that?) came to nailing them to the wall and in an effort to be truly objective, aren’t the Bruins just playing to their strengths?

I mean, intimidation is a part of hockey, and the Bruins have it down pat. Lucic and his line may not be putting up numbers, but they’re not being scored on, and pity the fool who crowds Thomas’s crease when they’re around.

Horton aside, they have Marchand and Ryder who can put the puck in the net and play agitator and pest at the same time.

Bergeron has evolved into a VERY good player.

I don’t know how he does it, really I don’t, but Thomas is lights out.

Everyone on the ice is afraid of Shawn Thornton. I suspect even his own team mates.

And the biggest kicker of all is that Chara is actually THAT good.

I agree entirely with habstrinifan below when he said that the Habs may have been the best thing that happened to them…

And I just think that the Bruins want it more. Which, and for this I expect some salacious remarks, you can put on Julien.

They are full value for where they are.

Even if they are a bunch of wankers.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• HardHabits says:

Good post. Realistic, accurate and honest.

I would also concur that this Boston team will be the best thing that happened to the Habs.

The Habs trumped this style of play back in the 70′s. They have no choice but to do it again. Or die trying.

23. RetroMikey says:

Yup Boone, Boston is a very good team, they do have the physical size and skill to sip the Dom Perignon soon. Momentum to da Bruins and they should be up 3-1 then being deadlocked at 2-2 in the series.
    Too many sour puss fans on this site cannot accept this very good team mentored by a great coach in Claude Julien that
    t h e y c o u l d g o a l l t h e w ay!
    What a letdown by those knuckleheads in Vancouver, and where are the mighty Sedins to lead them? Too soft I say to play down the strech in the playoffs.
    And please Monsieur Pierre Gauthier, see what we got to make this team better, get bigger and nasty up front and if it means trading our might smurfs in Cammalleri. Plekanec, Gionta or a defenseman like Gorges, so be it.
    Perhaps maybe we can sip champagne sooner than icing a team that is just a .500 club and expect miracles in the playoffs.
    Boston will be a very good team in years to come, better get used to it people!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

24. Chuck says:

One thing that Vancouver has going for them is that Tim Thomas has been merely decent when not playing at home. This might be a series where the home team wins every game.

25. smiler2729 says:

Not that I’ve watched more than the NHL On The Fly highlights or TSN 2Nite cuz I work evenings but these finals are a freakin’ joke!

How the hell the Boston Bruins managed to paint themselves here as the poor little victims and branding the Canucks as the hated team is beyond me?!?

Do the so-called hockey pundits watch this crap??? Do they not see the Bruins getting away with murder and provoking the Canucks?? Are the officials really bought off by Boston???

If this is the big stage where the NHL wants to sell their product to the masses then I’m embarrassed to be a hockey fan.

These finals are another dark day in Gary’s hockey world.

Funny how the little team no one gives any credit to (the Montreal Canadiens) are the only guys who can beat Boston on any given day and if it weren’t for some lucky bounces in the OTs, it’d have been the Habs moving on not the suddenly revered Bruins…

“If the Bruins played the Taliban, I’d root for the Taliban”

• EricInStL says:

Phil Jackson, Scotty Bowman etc all do the same thing. They prepare the field anyway they can to try to get an edge.

If JM doesn’t do it then too bad.

26. Chuck says:

The thought of Kaberle potentially being a Stanley Cup winning defenseman just made me throw up a little in my mouth.

• EricInStL says:

Who is going to pay anything for him now?

I think Burke (depending on who he drafts and who Boston drafts) might make the trade a little more even….

• adamkennelly says:

I think the last two games should be enough to convince any doubters that the Habs need a lot more grit and toughness to compete and win in the East. Boston is going to bully the best team in the league into losing the Cup. Van has so little push back its embarrassing – even if you lose the fight, you need to step up otherwise they got you – that is aimed at the Sedins and others.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Disagree completely. Nucks are getting sucked into playing Boston’s game, but they aren’t getting bullied.

Nucks are doing as much hitting, and often putting themselves out of position doing it. They lost Hamhuis and Rome on big hits that they made.

They need to calm down, keep their shape, and try to keep the game low scoring.

• JayBee says:

They are getting bullied because they aren’t playing their game. They fell right into the Bruins hands.

• adamkennelly says:

has nothing to do with “hitting”…come on dude….they are being bullied and are not standing up for themselves….Sedins have been invisible because everyone on that Boston team is giving it to them good all the time and they are not standing up for themselves and no one is doing anything about it. this is about attitude and Van is playing intimidated and deflated. Much like the Habs – they really don’t have anyone who can deal with Chara, Lucic, Thornton and McQuaid – so that enables pukes like Marchand to do whatever they want…..huge problem…

• habstrinifan says:

Totally agree with the calm down and keep their shape.

But of significan, other than the injuries, are two things…

Boston mean guys can play Vanc’s cant.

Boston has tons more depth. I mean when Higgins is one of your top forwards…

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Agree completely. There are three ways to beat the Bruins. The only one you can plan for is to play “low-risk” hockey and wait for a Bruins defencemen to cough up the puck and go out of position. The other two are PP goals and freebies from Timmy Thomas.

All the “toughness” and hitting on earth is insufficient, and unnecessary. Patient smart hockey by a team that can bury their chances beats the Bruins.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• Sharks9 says:

Thomas is the only reason they’re losing this series. He has repeatedly stopped any comeback attempt by the Canucks in the last 2 games and that demoralizes them more than the “grit and toughness” of the Bruins do.

25 before 14

Rise of the Planet of the Bears

It’s not so hard to believe that the Bruins have managed to punch their way to a Stanley Cup upset but unless the Canucks start trapping and turn on the jets on the counter-punch this series is over in 6. Maybe they should study some Habs tapes fast to see how a smaller and beat up team pushed these bulldozers to the brink.

Hockey match-ups are often a case of rock, paper, scissors. The Habs, as much as I bemoan their lack of size and grit, are nevertheless a team built to beat the Bruins, with of all things speed and skill. They aren’t quite there yet because IMO they still lack the physical presence needed to support and insulate the Habs more finesse players in their quest to score more goals.

If the Habs get the added physical dimension to compliment the already in place effective and efficient PP, PK and defensive systems and subsequently up the scoring ante they can legitimately be considered a team that can go all the way. They still need to win the division first and to do that they have to put together a better season than the Bruins. One thing in the Habs favour is the SCF grind is a long and hard one (imagine Pierre McGuire saying that) and by year’s end next season the Bruins should be tapped giving the Habs a realistic opportunity at the division title.

• HalifaxHabs says:

we don’t always agree, so I had to say, great post HH.

is there any specific player/players you would like to see the Habs target, to maintain their current style, but beef up size wise?

• G-Man says:

I think Lurch from the Addams Family is #1 with a bullet. With Uncle Fester for grit. And Thing to clean things up.

• HardHabits says:

TYVM. I do play nice sometimes. ;-)

I am not one to look at who the Habs can sign in the off season as I am more of a believer in building a team via the draft as opposed to free agency.

I think we’re stuck with the RFA’s we have which means Kostitsyn, Pouliot, Pacioretty, Pyatt, Desharnais, Eller and White are back at forward. Cammy, Gio, Gomez and Plex are undoubtedly returning and round out the list.

Gorges will be signed, Weber and Picard are RFA’s also so they are in play either for trades or 7th man duties.

Subban, Gill and Spacek are signed as are Diaz and Emelin. Markov and Wiz are the wildcards.

I would still like the Habs to get a(nother?) physical stay at home bruiser on the back end. Not enough grit and nastiness in the Habs defensive zone, especially when you consider Markov, Weber and Spacek in the line-up. That’s as soft as it gets. Markov might be a maestro quarter-back but he still needs some half-backs and at least one full-back in support.

Same with the forwards. I would say try and trade DD and Pyatt and build a no nonsense 4th line from free agency or the trade(s). Two crashers and bangers to go with Moen, with ample size and speed. Make the 3rd line Eller, White and AK46, put Pax with Gio and Gomeboy. I think the Habs need to either make Pouliot a top 6 or trade him (or pop him with AK46 and Eller and put White with Moen on the 4th line). Either way somebody not name AK46 should be with Cammy and Plex. Somebody big. Somebody hard to get off the puck. Maybe Jagr. Maybe not.

I think the missing pieces are;

a) one big power forward (ideally a #1 centre but realistically a winger for Cammy and Plex),
        b) one bruising defenseman, I mean a killer that can skate, hit and fight (take out the fighting and this could be Emelin but as he’s a NHL rookie I’d still like to see another player with NHL experience on D that fits the BAMF category)
        c) a seriously nasty 4th line that can chip some in.

The only other thing I can add is Price should not start more than 60 games.

• habstrinifan says:

b) one bruising defenseman, I mean a killer that can skate, hit and fight,
          c) a seriously nasty 4th line that can chip some in.

The only other thing I can add is Price should not start more than 60 games

You have fille din the holes for PG admirable.. if he and JM can do what you suggest then I say HABS will be in the contender group.

Oh for the goaltending.. get Emery.. pay up to 9.75 hundred ths if u have to. Would send a huge message to the team and everybody else in the league.

• DAVE. N says:

Agree with you in alot of what you say, but IMO, Pouliot does have to go…no more experimenting with him, as we’ve seen what we don’t get when he’s in the lineup.
          Packaging DD and Pouliot and White in some sort of combination may get a winger for Plex somewhere; or a steady defenseman..speaking of defence…
          Anyone else concerned about the $$$ amount Markov will be demanding, and how many injuries we’ve seen in the past 2 seasons? And is he going to be able to lead this defence for a full schedule? I’m doubtful, so although we do need some grit there, I’m going out on a limb and considering the need for some more offence. Hammer used to fight, Gill doesn’t…Wiz CAN fight and has that shot, but everyone keys on him during the PP

28. Chris says:

I find it amusing how the Canucks are suddenly “cooked” again.

Thus far, both teams have done what they had to do, winning their home games. The Bruins had a scorgasm in Games 3 and 4, but Luongo has already shown he can put that kind of embarassment behind him, giving up 2 goals on 45 shots in Games 6/7 in the Chicago series after getting shelled for 10 goals on 40 shots in Games 3/4.

Interesting stat of the playoffs: The Canucks have now given up 5 short-handed goals…methinks Alain Vigneault and his staff might want to work on this a bit.

• HabsFan2 says:

More like insane, if you ask me.

———————————————-
      R.I.P. – K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

• EricInStL says:

Fan = FANATIC…..

I am a supporter, nothing more nothing less. I don’t let my emotions get the better of me. There’s no use. It’s just wasted effort.

29. Chris says:

Yesterday, I put up a post questioning the love for Wisniewski, but had to run and didn’t get a chance to see all the replies.

Ed Lopaz in particular raised some good points, so I thought I would address some of them.

“1) Wiz is tough as nails, clears the front of net, fights, all much needed on this soft Habs team (this is a hugely important consideration in my opinion)”

Since 2007-08, when Wiz had 9 fights, he has only had 4 regular season fighting majors in the three seasons since. So the fighting aspect of his game is a bit overblown. I did not see him as a guy that clears the front of the net particularly well, so we’ll have to disagree on that point, but I will concede he is resilient and plays hurt.

“Wiz is way more than a “slapshot” – he finished with 51 points and that ranked him 5th in the entire NHL.”

Sheldon Souray had 26 goals (1st in the NHL), 64 points (3rd in the NHL), played 3:01 per game short-handed and 4:52 per game on the power play. Nobody could argue that he was tough, and he was a team leader. But like Wisniewski, he struggled at times defensively and the team wasn’t able to keep him due to the big money Edmonton offered. Is there anybody out there that regrets losing Souray now? He’s a great guy, but he might have been a bit of a flash in the pan.

I’m not guaranteeing that Wiz won’t be worth the money. But there is enough risk there that I’m not SURE his offence will overcome his defensive liabilities.

“3) Wiz logged a ton of ice time when he was healthy – enough that it was necessary to use others on the PK – he played ist line PP minutes

4) your suggestion that Babchuk is a comparable is laughable – he had 1/2 the points Wiz put up; Ian White is cheaper because frankly he does not bring anything near the whole package that Wiz brings.

5) We are not looking for a Hamr look a like thank you. That contract was terrible for this organisation regardless how much he is loved on HIO. Hamrlik was never worth 3 million forget about 5.5 million”

3. Good point.

4. My point about Babchuk is only laughable if you try comparing apples and oranges. I think Babchuk can fill in for Wisniewski’s shot…the savings in contract between Wiz, who is probably looking at $4.5-5 million or more per year, versus Babchuk, who might be had for $2.5-3 million, could be added to an offer to a forward. For example, let’s say the Habs sign Wiz for $5 million and keep somebody like Pouliot ($1 million) for a total of $6 million.

Instead, consider the Habs signing Babchuk for $3 million and Ville Leino for $3 million. Ignoring that point totals rarely work this way, the Habs pick up 27 goals and 80 points from last season in exchange for 23 goals and 81 points last season. Overall, it is a wash, but the team gets more depth up front…this obviously only works if Markov stays healthy, because if he does, there simply isn’t enough PP time for Wiz, Markov and Subban…Wiz’s numbers almost certainly drop if he’s forced down to the second wave of the PP.

5. We most certainly ARE looking for a Hamrlik type player. The Habs can not afford to over-rely on Gill, who is getting old, Yemelin or Weber. Markov is coming off a big injury. The team needs a defensive presence who can eat up a lot of minutes against the other team’s best players. Gorges will obviously be one guy fulfilling this role, but the team needs another shut-down defenceman, a role that Hamrlik filled admirably in relief of the injured Gorges and Markov at a point in his career where he should have been a second/third pairing defenceman.

We’ll see what the team does, but it is my opinion that Wisniewski probably doesn’t fit into their plans moving forwards unless he can be convinced to sign for $3.5-4 million per season, which I really doubt he would do.

• Mattyleg says:

I prefer a longer post.
      ;)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

When I got to the bottom I forgot what the top said?

• TomNickle says:

Subban and Gill were relied on as a shut down pairing much more than Hamrlik was.

I think you’ll either see Subban or Gorges with Markov, probably Gorges, meaning that Gill and Subban in all likelihood will be used as a shutdown pairing again.

Gorges compliments Markov’s game fairly well.

• 24 Cups says:

“Hamrlik, I believe, is much better described as a well rounded defenseman. Not having a specialty in one area but rather that he’s good in most areas.”

Tom, I never thought I would hear you say that about Hamrlik!!! Good for you.

• punkster says:

Holy crap! Just saw this one too. Jeez Tom, I harped all year that Hamrlik was a good D and took way too much flack. Welcome to the club ;)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

30. Hobie Hansen says:

Ok the Bruins are simply too big and strong for any team to handle at this point.
    I’ve heard that Kessler is hiding an injury. In the opening minutes of last night’s game Kessler skates into the corner and Seidenberg just cranked him into the boards. Kessler skated to the bench and you could see the eyes of his teammates, trainers and the officials looking at him.
    Guaranteed Kessler’s injury was either sustained or seriously aggravated by Chara or one of the other Bruins defensemen punishing him every chance they had.
    Boston is built to dish out and take punishment over the course of four playoff rounds.
    As much as I hate them, they have a great playoff team.

31. Fool of Chu says:

After the Bruins were down 2-0, I read that to climb out of this hole would be difficult for them: they did it against us, but then the Canucks would be a different team than ours…

Who would have thought this statement would be so true?
    I mean, our small team (without all the Torres’ or Keslers or Lapierres or Burrows – those ‘tough under your skin players’) put up a better fight than the ‘nucks. Where has all the credibility gone they once had?

And Luongo’s show in game 3 (I will stay in net, no matter what) may end up being one ‘leadership acts gone wrong’ – moment of these playoffs, right next to Ovie’s double (!) guarantee of a Washington win in game 4 against the Lightning…

When you talk boldly, you should follow it up with some corresponding action.

I hate to envision the Bruins winning this one (they goon up the league, and on the stage of the Cup finals, when everybody watches, are on the receiving end of a dirty play), but half the ‘nucks’ heart seems already to be flushed down the toilet…
    +++ we should have beaten them ;-)

32. rat13 says:

While the Boston-Montreal series could easily have been won by Montreal and really came down to luck the notion that Montreal would have achieved the same success as Boston is virtually impossible given the workload of Carey Price and Montreal’s dependence on him. Since the lockout, no team has made the Stanley Cup Final with a goalie who has played more than 65 regular season games. Only TWO conference finalists, the Hurricanes with Cam Ward and the Sharks with Nabokov have made it to that point with a goalie who has played more than 65 games and both of those teams were promptly swept. There is a reason teams (post-lockout) that rely overly on one goalie all year – the Rangers, Coyotes, Canadiens, Devils, Sabres etc. are not a good bet to go a long way in the play-offs. They might steal a series or two if they are real lucky but history has shown that eventually they will wear down.

rat13

33. Malreg says:

Last time I checked, you need to win FOUR games in finals to win the cup, not 2. The series is tied 2-2, and it’s far from over, yet everyone is handing the cup to the Bruins?

Remember how great the Habs looked after the first 2 games against the Bruins? Vancouver has played less than good in all 4 games so far, yet the series is still tied 2-2.

34. JD_ says:

* Unless somethin’ very fundamentally game-changin’ transpires over the next several days, it’s-a comin’, baby, it’s-a comin’. A big, grinnin’ Zdeno, happier than a pig in shiznat, liftin’ Lord Stanley’s Cup up high over his head, givin’ it the requisite smooch, then, with tears streamin’ down his mug, passin’ it over to a Connie-winnin’ Timmy, then over to Recchy, Lucy, Marcy, Ferency, Campbelly, Hortonny in his civvies, etc…everybody skatin’ around the ice, Broonz fans cheerin’ and poundin’ the glass, Milbury high-fivin’ Stocky, ‘n’ all that deeply, deeply nauseatin’ imagery.

* I think I’m gonna be sick. Real sick.

* Really, really, really sick.

* I’m tallkin’ full-blown bubonic plague here, with a side-order of some supremely lethal ebola strain, followed by a rare necrotizing fasciitis mutation heretofore unseen by mankind.

* The 2010 Art Ross Trophy winner is pointless after four games. The 2011 Art Ross Trophy winner has two points. Apparently, the human fail that is Mike Milbury referred to the Sedins as “Thelma & Louise” last night. Such naked contempt on the heels of victory speaks volumes to Shoeboy’s character, or lack thereof.

* It also opened the door to this zinger from ‘Nucks backup, Cory Schneider: “Who cares what he thinks? If he’d been their general manager he would have traded them in their first year anyway like he did with everyone else. One guy is a Hart trophy winner and the other is up for it this year and we have complete faith and confidence in these guys. Who cares what he thinks?”

* Quebec Premier Jean Charest has saved the PQ from itself by postponin’ the vote on Bill 204 – the QC arena bill – until the fall session. He may even call an election ahead of the vote, while the PQ is in disarray and Francois Legault has not yet had a chance to get his party kick-started. That’s how it’s done here, folks. All hockey. All the time. Suivant! Next!

* Poindexter Bentley Subban is a god, baby!

* Burkie sux.

• GrimJim says:

What, your kids aren’t playing soccer this year? I need those regular updates…

• JD_ says:

Why, thanks for askin’ GJ.

My 17 year-old daughter has retired from the game. The 15 year-old son is still playin’ AAA, his team havin’ gone 2-4, so far this season. Bit of upheaval with a new coach. The 12 year-old is back with the same team that didn’t lose a game last season and took everythin’ in sight.

Boston bullies do not play hockey within the guidelines of the rules. So why all the rule changes? Was it not to bring more finess better and faster play back to the game, and get rid of the slash, clutch and grab crap.

Millions of dollars have been invested into the more skilled players by owners believing that the day of the crap hockey was over with.

But it turns out that the NHL only wants that type of hockey during the regular season. The bullies and garbage play are acceptable in the play offs.

Signs of a quality and consistent league to me.!

On another topic, Luongo should not start next game. He has played very poorly, along with his defence.

• habaddict_andy says:

That’s what Montreal did, we played with skill albeit a defensive system. We were not winning through physical play but yet we did compete. Those hooking by the hip that players used to get away with are no longer there. But it was not enough by one goal…ONE GOAL!

Go! Hockey! Go!

• Stuck_in_To. says:

It is certainly frustrating to watch what the Bruins appear to be getting away with. I am so confused now about when you can crosscheck a guy in the back legally and when you cannot that I have given up trying to figure out the calls. Boston has certainly been on the receiving end of some bad stuff (Savard, Bergeron and now Horton) but it’s not the blatant head shots from the Bruins (with due respect Halpern and Max Pac) but ALL the other stuff. The truly sad thing will be if this style of play is awarded a Stanley Cup. Then I might start watching the KHL.

• issie74 says:

Mr, Jacobs needs the money.

NorthTOHab

36. CHsam says:

Most Bruins trolls are probably hanging out on Nucks sites or tsn.ca …..but you can be damn sure that if the Bruins win, the trolls will be back here within a minute after the last buzzer.

37. Chris F says:

Right now, the Canucks are beaten. Not sure if they can get it back. Very, very similar to “our” team. They’re skilled, they have some toughness (notably more than ours), but they are getting absolutely dominated by the goons. They are hurt, because they are softer. The physical marathon that exemplifies the playoffs has taken it’s turn on the Canucks. All of a sudden, Bieksa is being called on to do all the heavy lifting. The Sedins, man, embarassing to watch. Yeah, their skilled, and maybe injured, but they are very soft. Boston is simply licking their chops to play against them.
    Anyone see the replays of Boychuck repeatedly slashing H.Sedin in the left ankle, you don’t think the goons’ front office has sent the memo.
    Anyone wonder what Neely has enforced on the entire team, we will not be beat on any play physically, and especially not after any whistle. Just watch the goons at work, it’s a clinic. Vancouver players are officially scared to go to the front of the net. They simply get pounded by one cross-check after another. You have Mark F@#$ing Recchi out playing the Sedins. It’s a joke.
    Luogo has never shown me anything to say he’s still a top goaltender in this league.
    Kesler can’t do it himself.
    Like against Montreal, Boston is saying……….”Yeah, I’m going to hit you, slash you, mug you, punish you everytime you touch the puck, and after every whistle……………what are you going to do about it??” Answer, …………………..not a damn thing.

• kirkiswork says:

This is so freakin true it’s unbelievable, whatever happened to a ref going over to each coach and saying…..there better be no after the whistle crap or they will sit in the box.
      It’s like they said do whatever the F you want.

• ds says:

If Vancouver can get their PP going Boston would think twice, but when Boston is scoring more SH’s than Van is getting PP goals why not. Skill always beats brute force, Canucks have just been overrated all year.

• EricInStL says:

You play up to your ability and you use what you have. Plain and simple. If you have skill like the Canadiens you try and do it that way, if you fail you try to get a missing ingredient or 2 f possible.

A guy like Hartnell or Clowe would help a lot.

38. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

As nice as all this Playoff news is, I’m jonesing for a habs player speculation/announcement fix… and HockeyBuzz just won’t cut it.

39. JayBee says:

What is this ridiculous notion that just because the Habs almost beat Boston that they could have made the SCF? The same Boston team that’s playing now wasn’t the same team that played the Habs. It’s clear as day, Bruins are playing far better now than they did in the 1st round.

Habs are not built for the SCF.

Moral victories are for losers. Lets construct a proper team that will dictate the pace and can contend for a cup.

• Mattyleg says:

It’s not ridiculous at all.
      If we’d beat the Bruins, we would be there. It’s as simple as that. The Caps were a team in the midst of imploding, and only TB would have given us trouble, but we would’ve shut them down more effectively than the Bs did.
      And, our team wouldn’t be the same team that played in the first round either.
      All teams go through growth and development during the series.

I like that you have an idea of what “build” a team needs to be allowed to get into the finals. There’s a sign on the entry-gate saying “You Must Be At Least This Shape To Enter”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JayBee says:

The same Habs team that lost 4 of their last 5 games was going to get through the Caps and Lightning/Philly and to the SCF?

Games are played on the ice, not on paper, buddy.

As far as size. You obviously don’t watch Habs games. Size IS an issue and it’s why they can’t dictate the pace of a game and play rope a dope hockey. Good grief some of you have drank the koolaid. How a team who squandered a 2-0 series lead and lost in the first round is all of a sudden pegged to go to the SCF is hilarious to me.

• Mattyleg says:

Haha!
          You’re absolutely right, JB, I didn’t watch a single game this year.
          As a matter of fact, I live in Oahu, and spend most of my time waxing my surfboard and practising sick licks on my ukelele.

But I’ve got away with sounding like I know what I’m talking about all these years from just reading scraps of Canadian papers that wash up on the shore! Pretty sweet, eh?

But I admit, I guess I can’t really know how bad the Habs really are without watching the games, like you have, but thanks for the heads-up.

Okay, I’m off to get lei’d.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JayBee says:

Keep drinking the koolaid.

When will Hab fans stop using “ifs”?

If Markov wasn’t hurt.
            If Pacioretty wasn’t hurt.
            If the Habs scored in OT
            If Ferrence was given a penalty.

Well, none of that happened. Reality says that Boston went to the cup finals and the Habs squandered a 2-0 series lead and got eliminated in the 1st round.

Right, Habs would have reached the SCF with Halpern on the 1st line. Joke of the day.

• AntoineSabourin says:

and if montreal scored the game 7 overtime goal boston would be labelled too big and slow, no skilled forwards, ect. ect. Montreal would be labelled a small fast skilled team excellent in transition.

• Sharks9 says:

Vancouver lost 3 of their last 4 in the 1st round and made it to the Cup finals. Why couldn’t the Habs?

Not to mention the fact that we would’ve gotten Pacioretty back for the next rounds.

25 before 14

• ds says:

Montreal lost to the better team but they put up a hell of a fight. Also Boston right now is weaker than they were vs. MTL, they lost Horton who is a big part of the team.

Whether MTL would have made the finals or not we’ll never know. But this team is 1 or 2 legitamate scoring forwards away from being a contender that’s for sure.

• habaddict_andy says:

Boston is better now than they were when they played the Canadiens? On what facts are you using to analyze your claim? Whether you are from TSN (who refuse to recognize Canadiens accomplishments to date) or your Manapart in disguise.

Go! Hockey! Go!

40. ds says:

It took a while but people are finally smarting up that Roberto Luongo is an overrated goalie. He has been blown out for the past 3 years in the playoffs (3x vs Chicago, now vs Boston). And before Crosby’s “golden goal” against Team USA, it was Luongo who let in the softest goal vs Parise in the dying seconds of the 3rd because he wasn’t able to cover the puck, he almost cost Canada the Olympic Gold Medal, it’s pretty impressive we won it with so many choke artists (SJ guys, Luongo).

Boston is a solid team, they scored 8 on Vancouver without 2 of their top guys (Horton & Savard). They beat Montreal (last year’s Semi Finalist) in what was a great series to watch. They exorcised last year’s demon in Philadelphia, took out red hot Tampa Bay.

Vancouver on the other hand eked it out vs a depleted Chicago on Campoli’s repeated brain farts in game 7 OT, they got lucky to play a team with no offense (Nashville), then won against perennial chokers (San Jose).

There’s no shame in losing to Boston, they were better than Montreal, and now they are taking the cup. Vancouver wouldn’t beat any of the top 6 in the east in the playoffs anyway. MTL handled them with ease during the regular season even shutting them out.

• Mattyleg says:

Luongo has trouble with pressure.
      Which is why he played so well in Florida: No pressure!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JayBee says:

People are so fickle. Thomas has gotten shelled a number of times in the playoffs…actually shelled more than Luongo but yet he’s a conn Smythe trophy winner and Luongo is a bum.

Funny.

• Mattyleg says:

Did I ever say that Luongo is a bum, J?
          Did I make any comparisons?
          Hm?
          Eh?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ds says:

How many times this playoffs has Thomas been shelled? Luongo has been blown out 4x, been replaced several times, and even got scratched for a game vs. Chicago. Thomas is miles ahead of Luongo.

Tim Thomas 22gp 2.11 gaa .936sv
          Roberto Luongo 22gp 2.54gaa .916

Also when it counted when his team was down and out (game 3 & 4), Thomas stole the show. He was also big in big situations vs Montreal, especially those three OT’s he made lots of dazzling saves.

Also just thought i’d add, for all the complaints about MTL’s draft history at least we’re not the Panthers. Perennial bottom feeder who have drafted maybe 2 top 4 defensemen in Jovanovski & Bouwmeester in almost 20 years all the while missing the playoffs for the most part.

• prt22 says:

Also noteworthy to consider that Maxpac would have been available for round 2… Who knows how effective he would have been… but surely that wouldn’t have hurt our chances.

• ds says:

Pac would have helped especially vs Philadelphia without Pronger, but until he proves he’s consistent i’m not sure he’s a bonafide top 6. Pac’s numbers this year are the same as Pouillot’s last year (minus the playoffs) but I think Pac wants it more, time will tell. Hope he has a complete recovery.

41. Bugs says:

This is why I stopped watching after TB fell short. No more teams with heart. No more teams with “mental fibre”.
    Looking at Bos vs Van is an exercise is in foretelling which team will choke first, both of them unworthy.
    You’ll remember me predicting SJ would beat Van ONLY BECAUSE they had “experience” getting so far. There was no other reason. Cuz “bearing down”-wise, there were no favourites.
    Boston may have a few good players but the team is weak. Not a real team. Bergeron, Marchand, Thomas, and hell, RYDER, are the only ones what came to play, same as 1st series against us…series they won with 3 ot wins while ours were in regulation, taking go ahead goal in last game with uncalled spear in Hamr’s throat, not to mention uncalled deliberate headshot on Halpie warranting 5 min major and CERTAIN pp goal for win from our team. Certain.
    Luck of the draw, twist of fate, I accept it, but no one can deny that we were THAT close. Ooooh, it still hurts. Lucky, lucky, garbage-lucky maggots, that’s all they are.
    We woulda gone up against Washy, TB against Philly…I wonder…
    I guess my point is, should Boston spit in the hockey gods’ faces and win the Prize…and we get Marky, Joshy and Pac-Man (Jimmy?) back next year…not including any “interesting” additions we might make…
    Cup is ours.
    I demand it now.
    So management better PRAY Couver pulls it off cuz I’ll be down their throat all YEAR.
    Bastiches…

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

42. TommyB says:

Much as I hate to admit it to myself, but, the Bruins could actually win the Cup. Although I still have belief that Vancouver can regain control.

Should the Bruins win it, what this does illustrate is just how close the Habs could actually be to becoming a strong contender as well. Are the B’s that much better than Montreal? I don’t think so. Maybe a bit grittier, and I admit grit does go a long way, but skill has to take over at some point. Strong goaltending goes just as far as grit, and Boston has both of these going for it right now. The Habs have skill, and strong goaltending. Pick up a little bit more size and grit (size and grit that can play, that is), and the Habs are right at the top with the real contenders. Just something to think about, IMO. Maybe Hal Gill is right. This team is getting close.

So as Habs fans we hope Gomez can work hard this offseason, and hopefully with the addition of MaxPac can find a semblence of game. We all realize he isn’t going to be a 7.5Million player for us, but we need a 60 point player with defensive responiblity and able to setup Gionta and Maxpac. Having said all that, we are nearing the end of the contract, if he doesn’t come back strong for us this year, his caphit versus contract payout becomes tradeable at end of this coming season and forsure in the season to come.

My point in all this, is how would you like to be Vancouver, 11 mores of 5.3million cap hit, and not till 2018 does hit contract pay less than his caphit.

He isn’t a terrible goalie, but he certainly is not showing himself to be a clutch goalie.

• TomNickle says:

Unless the cap goes up by about $5 million next off-season, Gomez is entering his last season as a Hab. There’s no way they can retain him and give new contracts to Pacioretty, Subban, Price and Eller, especially if Markov is signed for more than a year and Gauthier looking to add to the top six.

I agree Tom. But lets say Boston goes on to win this series and Luongo continues to look average. How does a Nuck fan not sit there and say lets play Schneider. Quite the expensive backup vancouver will have for the next 10 seasons. Unless Luongo comes back with 3 great games, he becomes untradeable.

• Habfan10912 says:

Gomez should have played his way out of the NHL
      Having him on the roster would be a huge mistake.

44. DearyLeary says:

Someone explain to me why PK is a cocky rookie who doesn’t know his place, but Brad Marchand is an effective agitator.

I honestly want to know the answer.

• Kooch7800 says:

PK plays for the Habs and BM plays for Boston. CBC analysts are ex Boston players/coaches. Don Cherry was the first one to start calling him Cocky.

Even on TSN Colby Armstrong admitted he actually likes PK’s play.

I am sure there is lots of players who would love to fill in BM and it will happen.

I give him credit though, he does have skill. As much as I hate him some of the goals he has pulled off have been pretty nice.

Didn’t Pang also explain that PK doesn’t do things the White way? I agree Leary, I am sick of listening to analysts tell us how Richards and Marchand are these leaders etc….. and they still can’t just say PK is a great young player on his way to being a perennial Norris Candidate.

• issie74 says:

Mike Richards … while I think everyone sees him as a very good hockey player,I don’t think he is a very nice guy

Marchand would be called a rat by Cherry if he didn’t play for Boston,same as Cooke,Avery or any other player he considers an agitator.

NorthTOHab

• hdcase says:

PK coughs up the puck too much. Look at his +/-. He doesn’t back up his attitude with his play. He’s got some real talent but he’s way over rated by Montreal’s fans. Give him a couple or years and he might become a decent defense man.

Say what you like about Marchand, but he puts the puck in the net in big games. He was the one who really broke open game 3. That shorty completely broke Vancouver.

hdcase

“Give him a couple or years and he might become a decent defense man”
        Whatever you are smoking, it has clouded your judgement man. PK is young and still made rookie mistakes this past year. But he is on his way to becoming a Stud defenceman. Did you notice in his rookie year he played most of the year as our #1 Dman in all instances. That is not over rated at all.

• DearyLeary says:

PK didn’t score big goals against the Bruins either, and he’s only a defenceman.

Also he logged huge minutes against Krejci’s (leading the playoffs in goals and points) who was largely invisible in the first round.

But this has nothing to do with their skills (although I’ll take PK every time right now). PK yaps, Marchand yaps, but PK doesn’t go out there and taunt other players. Why is Marchand considered an agitator, and PK a cocky rookie who’s ‘gonna get got’?

45. Habitoban says:

My wife and I traditionally watch the Cup series together. Half way through the first period she declared that she wouldn’t watch anymore games until “a hockey game broke out.” I’m with her on that. I thought we put the Broadstreet Bullies stuff behind us. Well evidently not. If that’ss the direction of the new NHL (including the Habs, according to the wishes of some on HIO) and its media cheerleaders, well, see ya later.

• Kooch7800 says:

If Vancouver played their game that would not happen. As soon as Loungo choked on that second goal the game changed. I am not pinning the loss on him cause you can’t win with 1 goal in two games but Thomas is doing what Loungo needs to.

Vancouver has to win the next game.

As soon as I heard that Murphy consulted Burke on the suspension I was absolutely shocked. That is an absolute Joke. Why not consult Shanahan who will be taking over. Burke loves Boston.
      Explains a lot about the Max pac incident

46. joshua94k says:

The Vancouver Canucks are letting their fans down. Millionaires like the Sedins and Luongo are not getting the job done. Getting outscored 12-1 during the past two games during the finals is a big letdown.

Habs players like Price, Subban, Cammalleri, Gionta etc played their hearts out and competed every game this play-offs. Even Scott Gomez who struggled at times had 4-5 points against the Bruins. How many have the Sedins got ?

The fact is Montreal outplayed both Boston and Vancouver this year. If they didn’t have a depleted line-up, their work ethic would have carried them far this year. Win or lose, the Canadiens would have competed every game and not give up like Vancouver did in Game 3. Remember Game 7 against Boston, the Bruins came out with two quick goals and were leading 2-0, the building in Boston was noisy and rocking. It seemed the rout was on. On the bench the Canadiens were silent but not rattled. Habs Coach Martin was calm as usual and the Canadiens settled down and tied the game and tied it again during the last minute before losing in overtime.

This is what the Canucks need. They have to settle down and find their game or else they will end up like Tampa Bay who had such offensive talents like Lecavalier, St. Louis and Stamkos but between them had one or two goals during three games of the series.

How is it that the so-called small and lacking toughness Montreal forwards have given more trouble to Boston than the Sedins, Giroux, Carter, Stamkos, Lecavalier etc .?

People forget one thing, when building teams you need players who play with heart.

• BsFanforLife says:

Part of your offenses’ success was the fact that you were able to park someone in front of Timmy. Thomas has been able to see everything this series and when he is given that opportunity he wont get punished very often.

JM’s trap, while it drags the game to a screetching halt, was also big in those early games creating turnovers in the neutral zone that gave your forwards great looks too.

Vancouver has tried to just run and gun and that isnt something that is going to work, especially with the ice conditions in the Garden yesterday from the heat and the concert the night before.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Sorry BS Fan but I don’t give a crap.

Not sure anyone else does either.

• TomNickle says:

Nobody was ever parked in front of Timmy. The speed of our forwards allowed them to beat the slow Boston defense and get to the net for the multiple rebounds he drops into the slot. He’s playing out of his mind right now and Vancouver isn’t getting to the net for second chance opportunities.

• TomNickle says:

The Habs beat Vancouver. I wouldn’t say they outplayed them. The hardest working team doesn’t always win. For instance. I would say the Habs played one of their best games of the season against the Red Wings and lost.

47. Psycho29 says:

Like I said after the 8-1 game, I think the Canucks are intimidated and Boston will win the series. I really hope I’m wrong!
    So if you were Vigneault, do you start Luongo or Schneider? Or do you get Dunc Wilson to come out of retirement???

48. J_P says:

I knew vancouver was a fragile team, but I didnt think they were THIS fragile.

I know its hard to pull a goalie after two goals, but when you’re coming off a game where your goalie gave up 8, and he gives up two early stinkers, you have to yank him.

That’s one thing I always respected about bruce boudreau, even though it’s not always the popular choice, is if his goalie looked shaky to start the game or gave up two bad goals early, he would pull the plug before its too late.

What was the point of pulling luongo after 4-0 in the 3rd? Its already too late.

49. HabFanSince72 says:

Excellent article in the Globe by Jeff Blair, on the NHL’s farcical disciplinary system.

• BsFanforLife says:

Good article. Personally I like the idea of having people outside the game part of it. I think that Shanahan isnt an AWFUL choice but this whole thing could be averted if Bettman pulled his head out of his @$$ and appointed a committee and had Shanahan chair it. Because this is going to lead down the road of “Shanahan is a sleeper agent for Detroit” and I think he is too close to his playing days to be fully able to look at it 100% objectively

50. eric says:

luongo is the moast overrated goalie in the NHL

• J_P says:

Agreed. It’s funny that people started saying that he’s proven himself after the gold medal at the olympics. Only problem with that is he was playing behind the best defense corps ever assembled in hockey.

This was luongo’s chance to prove that he isn’t overrated, and so far he’s blowing it.

• HabFanSince72 says:

And he almost cost his team that gold medal.

Our Team Canada Roster at the Vcr. Olympics was by far and away the best there. Brodeur didn’t play well, and Luongo was the beneficiary of a great team. Yah he made some saves when he had too, but he was not a game changer for us.

Hopefully we see the NHL players in Sochi, and hopefully we see Carey Price leading the way in nets for Canada.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I have a much better idea for Sochi.

The league decides it won’t send its players.

Putin takes personal offence.

And deals with Gary Bettman the way he deals with all his enemies.

Diabolical ain’t it?

• ManApart says:

Huh, what about Price? Luongo is in the Cup finals afterall. Price has won one playoff series in his life and has a very bad playoff record. I agree Luongo is overrated, but at this point Price is more overrated, at least in Montreal.

No doubt Price has more to win in the future to prove himself to be the man. I think he will do so. But in the meantime he is on a 2 year 5.5 mill contract. Luongo is in a 12 year 64Million contract. You tell me who is supposed to be the stud based on those contracts. I think i will take Carey and his current contract over Lou and his.

51. Everlasting1 says:

As dominant as Boston has been at home, I think the tides will shift and the ‘Nucks will regain their form. I’d give Cory Shneider the start for game 5 as Luongo seems rattled and can use a game break. They sure are missing Hamhuis on D.

——————————————————————-
    ” That the Sons of God saw the daughters of man, that they were fair and took them wives all of which they chose.” – Genesis 6:2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

52. Captain aHab says:

Vancouver will come back. They still have home ice advantage – 2 of the last 3 games, JUlien won’t be able to match Chara against who he wants. They just weren’t playing with any urgency. They’ll have the urgency back now and I doubt Vigneault puts Luongo back in.

• BostonRob says:

Not a chance. B’s got grit going right now like they haven’t had much of the season. They’re going to take next game in Vancouver.

Something as a B’s fan I’ve noticed all season – the less rest they get, they better they are. If you’ve followed them at all, you’d agree. Game 6 back in beantown’s after a few days rest = fail. I say B’s in 7 back in Vancouver.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Montreal was eliminated 6 weeks ago, and yet a Boston fan still comes to a Hab site to post… that’s just sad

and throws out genius statements like “If you’ve followed them at all, you’d agree”… yeah you watch more of their games, so you know they will win game 5, lose game 6, and win game 7. You need to find a Casino and start making some real money.

• G-Man says:

All Bucking Fruins fans are sad. It is their lot in life.

• BsFanforLife says:

A Bruins fan comes here and offers an opinion in a fairly polite manner and you attack him. Why not actually argue his point instead?

• HalifaxHabs says:

because of his arrogance “If you’ve followed them at all, you’d agree”

face it BsFanforLife, you are the exception to the rule when it comes to Bruins fans, in that you are reasonable and can be tolerated.

• BsFanforLife says:

I’ll take that as the biggest compliment I will recieve here and thank you for it.

• BostonRob says:

fax. My comment was not intended to be arrogant in any way. Just a fact that when they’ve plenty of rest, they don’t play so well. When they have little rest, they seem to play better. I don’t expect you to follow the B’s close enough during the entire year to be aware of this. I do apologize if I am wrong, as well as having my statement misunderstood….

• HardHabits says:

@BsFanforLife: don’t sweat it. There are a few good posters here and the rest are either whiny cry babies or have a gang mentality.

• BostonRob says:

You got it wrong fax. I come here because it’s one of my two only things I like from Canada – Red Green and sulking habs fans…

• G-Man says:

Tell him to go away. He’s leaving a foul smell in the air.

• HardHabits says:

No. That would be your incessant whining and teeth gnashing. It’s a free world. It’s a free forum. He’s abiding by the rules more than you are.

• HalifaxHabs says:

thank god the masses have you to stand up for them HH.

53. 44har48 says:

Settle down everyone, my gosh. Step away from the ledge! This is similar to when the Habs played the B’s in the first round. Some of you were such an emotional mess, I’m surprised you survived. This series is 2-2 and is now a best of 3. Vancouver, correct me if I am wrong, has 2 of the remaining 3 games at home, and there will be a lot of travel coast to coast. Boston did nothing more than they had to do, to stay alive in this series, and that was win both games at home since they could not manage to get one in Vancouver.

I also want to address those of you who assume the Habs, had they had any 5 on 5 ability and could score an OT goal, would have beat these BrRuins and would be in the cup right now…WRONG. Our Habs didn’t have enough grit and/or scoring 5 on 5 to get much farther than they did, and this Bruins team is playing far better right now than the one that played the Habs a few weeks ago.

54. Curtoph says:

Also, I guess we can say Horton was embellishing it because he was able to go to the dressing room last night?

Let’s ask Dr. Recchi pronto if this should be allowed!

• hdcase says:

Hey, did the Centre Bell ever fix that stanchion? They needed to wrap a little padding around it. Your Zamboni guys should call up the Bruins’ Zamboni guys, they know where to get those pads.

hdcase

• BsFanforLife says:

Dude, why be an @$$ about it? Its posts like that that give Bruins fans a bad rap. Ignore the stupid posts and bring something to the table worth talking about.

Actually as I recall it was your players questioning MaxPac, in addition to the cavemen walking around Boston. You can’t come on here and act like it was just a couple fans. Your fricking Medic Man Recchi was leading the way. So don’t ignore the facts!

• BsFanforLife says:

Youre kidding me right? I just called out a fellow Bruins fan for being an idiot and you STILL overreact. You missed the entire point of what I just said. Sure, a lot of Bruins fans are rediculous, but so are a lot of Canadiens fans. Should I just assume that because there are Habs fans out there that are over the top about their hatred for the Bruins that all Habs fans are too?

55. Curtoph says:

Is it bad that I’ve stopped paying attention to games every time Boston is leading/winning the game?

Just rather not see Boston win the game! :)

I think we’re going to have a great season this next year, and take hold of that division title!

Go habs go!

56. habstrinifan says:

One more post before I go to work. Despite being down because the CUP doesnt look like it’s coming home to Canada and we, HABS, will have to go through all the immigration/custom ringarole when we do bring it back NEXT YEAR to where it really really belongs.. despite that..

I am feeling kinda GOOD really. You know why?

Think of what Cammy/Gionta/Price/Subban/Eller DID against the Bruins MAN. Think of it you who once posted “Eller is making them look stoopid”. And think of it Boone who kept calling Subban the most stud d-man in the league now. And think of Cammy’s taking up right where he left off in the previous year’s playoffs.. scoring big goals.

And think of Price.. all year LONG man!

Really think about it.

Those players played like superstars all of them. And with them in the fold and Max Pac and Markov and Gorges and the new kids and no injuries and a more ‘go for it’ JM.. MAN IT LOOKS GOOD.

This is not dreaming. This is hope based on analysis of the quality of our youth as shown by WHAT THEY DID!

And first sign that PG is thinking smartly here is he didnt follow so many knne-jerk posters and offer WIZ a huge offer based on some albeit significant power play numbers hiding a weak defensive mind.
    He knows what we HAVE and what we NEED.. (it seems).

He is doing well and going after Markov while making the YEMELIN thing happen.

Let’s get this ball rolling HIO people. Next year is our year.. not only for a real CUP run but for F’INGLY EXCITING HABS HOCKEY.

See you all later.

• JF says:

Don’t get too over-the-top about how well we did against the Bruins. We lost the series, remember? Yes, we played well, and certainly looked a lot better against them than Vancouver has. But the fact we couldn’t score an OT goal in three games highlights our main weakness – lack of even-strength scoring. We also need more grit. If Pierre Gauthier can address these two issues over the summer and if the team can avoid season-ending injuries to key players, next year could be good. But when last season started, I thought Boston was likely the best team in the conference. The only team I could see being as good was Philadelphia if they got some goaltending.

As for this series, people talk all season about how the West is better and tougher than the East, but I don’t see it and haven’t seen it in any of the series. Right now the Bruins are certainly looking better than Vancouver, and I think they would also have been better than the Sharks. The Canucks’ back-to-back meltdown games against Chicago in the first round are starting to look as ominous as they did when they happened. The team did not look much like a Stanley Cup champion then, and it doesn’t now. Their defence is disorganized, their forwards can’t create anything, and their goaltender can’t stop the puck. The series is tied, but it almost feels (like it did when the Bruins tied us) as though the Canucks have already lost.

• Curtoph says:

But of course, this is exactly why the Stanley Cup, and all other playoff rounds are Best of Seven, and therefore let each team come back or fall apart as we’ve seen here. Anything can happen in the next three games as well.

• JF says:

Yes, anything can happen, but my point was that the Canucks fell apart twice against Chicago and have now done it twice against the Bruins. Any team can have a bad game, but four bad playoff games for a potential championship team is a lot.

Another thing about the Bruins. Their historic meltdown against Philly last year, which we all enjoyed laughing about, may have been the best thing to happen to this team because they seem to have learned from it. They’re a lot tougher mentally than I gave them credit for at the start of our series. I thought we would have the edge there, but that wasn’t the case.

• mike3131 says:

JF – I’d say we need more DEPTH more than anything. We don’t have the size, but we have the grit and heart. But we need depth. I like Eller as our third line centre but we must add wingers to his line that can play gritty and provide secondary scoring. Tom Pyatt, Jeff Halpern, Benoit Pouliot and Travis Moen aren’t the solution. I think Mathieu Darche would be suitable to play on the 3rd line but we need one more winger like Joel Ward or something to play the other wing. Then we need a BIG and PHYSICAL 4th line.

♪ And we’re livin’ here in Allentown… ♪ – Stu (Hangover 2)

• habstrinifan says:

Your points are my points.. PG HAS to fill the holes which I have given my opinion on too many times here and JM must adjust to upgrade 5 on 5 scoring. Essentially you and I one hundred percent agree.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

I don’t want to get all “giddy” about how great we (Habs) are because we came within one goal or one game of advancing in the playoffs. The fact of the matter is we got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. Sugar coat it all you want, but we are a middle of the pack team. I wish it weren’t true, but let’s call it what it is.

57. habstrinifan says:

I dont know how far back our posts are retained. But while the last two games have crushed my spirits, they did not surprise me. I have made many posts where I had picked the Bruins “even in a short series..5 even). In fact I said whoever wins the EAST between Tampa and Boston will win the CUP.

I thought Vancouver winning games one and two may just make things right for them but doesnt look like it. I still hope that they can eke out a win in game 5 and sort of right the ship. Imagine a year of the Bruins as Champs…UGH.

Players on Vancouver that are tougher/better than I thought they were.. Kesler/Bieska. Even when they make mistakes you can tell they are trying and adjusting. But they seem to be trying (maybe even having to try) to do too much. They are not getting help. Kesler has incredible skills.

I also am afraid that I was dead on re the Sedin’s ineffectiveness.
    I remember saying the Sedins will have a great series against Sharks.. they did. I said that Boston will do to them what Chicago did.. and that is happening. Worst of it is the SEDINS are the type of players that dont know how to DO the gritty little things to prosper in the type of game the Bruins are bringing to them.

And then there is Luongo. Is anyone really surprised? Not if you have been watching/following him during the entire playoffs. He is what he is.

None of the above is hindsight. Anyone who may have read my predictions will know that from the minute the habs were eliminated I wrote a warning to get ready to live with the Bruins as Stanley Cup champions.

What is very hard to stomach is that HABS gave the Bruins the most trouble of this entire playoffs.
    And we may have even been the best thing that happened to them.