Super Bowl back-to-back begins

Emelin
Afternoon delight in Montreal?
Washington is in a furious battle with Florida – yes, FLORIDA!! – for the Southeast Division lead.
The Canadiens, as you may have heard, are fighting for their playoff lives.

And the battle is not going well.

The Islanders won Friday night.

Team tries to stay positive

Remembering Robinson’s big hit

Canadiens $$$-per-goal chart

The trading game

1. --Habs-- says:

Its a race to the bottom now! I’m now watching the teams below us and hope they win!
    26 Montreal 52 19 24 9 47 134 145 9-11-7 10-13-2 3-5-2 Lost 3
    27 Carolina 53 19 25 9 47 135 164 13-12-3 6-13-6 5-3-2 Won 1
    28 Anaheim 51 19 24 8 46 132 154 13-13-2 6-11-6 6-2-2 OT 1
    29 Edmonton 51 20 26 5 45 133 148 14-8-3 6-18-2 4-4-2 Won 2
    30 Columbus 52 14 32 6 34 120 174 8-13-3 6-19-3 3-6-1 Won 1

2. --Habs-- says:

Not even sure how you fix the Habs at this point. To many dead contracts to deal with. But here is a question? Would you trade AK and Plex and next years 1st round pick to Nashville for Weber being Nashville may not sign Weber to a long term deal?

3. --Habs-- says:

Don’t know what Molson is waiting for to replace Gauthier other than he has nobody to replace him with. What I don’t want is a situation where Gauthier making any more moves trading players for nothing or not much in return. Time to rebuild this clusterbuck. Dump some players including Gomez, free up some cap and add a key D. We have the Goalie, now build from the D position out. Give Markov till next season and if he’s ready good if not dump that contract too.

4. joeybarrie says:

Wow really? Still…. Price or Halak. First off, Neither goalie has done anything yet. Second ABSOLUTELY Price. First cause he is on THE MONTREAL CANADIENS. Second cause I think he is better. But it doesn’t matter. Price is on our team. Brian Smolinsky is not. So I choose Lapierre over all of them…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

5. jhab93 says:

Anyone know anything of Markov?

Thats the way the cookie crumbles

• powdered toastmann says:

Markhov is a write-hov

• --Habs-- says:

Markov will not play this season! He will begin practices in a few weeks with no contact and he’ll sit out the season to make sure the knee is OK. Even Markov can’t turn this around and this team would need a 10 – 15 game winning streak to come back. This group is simply not a group that can do that with or without Markov. I think you will see a sell-off in between now and the trade deadline. No use loosing UFA’s. Play the kids on second on 3rd lines, keeping the DD line (the only line we have together) instead of 4th, and give White a chance to return and get his bearings ready for next season. Maybe use Leblanc at center on the first line to see what he could do with Max and Cole. (Not to demote DD but just to see what he can do with 2 good players)

6. Bertuzzi says:

In order to make the playoffs, today’s game is a “Must Win” for Montreal.

7. Roy93 says:

Price win the Cup if he was on the Blues lol. Let’s get him to win a playoff round first or get us to the Eastern Conference finals. Opps we did have a goalie like that think we traded him. LOL

• mike3131 says:

He was one goal away from winning a playoff round against the Stanley Cup champs. He was also one of the main reasons why he was one goal away and not more.

8. mike3131 says:

Wow I can’t believe some of the comments I am reading here. Are we actually still comparing Price and Halak? PRICE IS THE BETTER GOALIE! You can’t even compare the two! Halak plays for team that made friggin Brian Elliott an all-star! Brian Elliott! Jaro is barely even facing 20 shots per game! Hell I can play in nets for the Blues and put up similar numbers! Do you think Halak is a better goalie than Ryan Miller just because Halak has better stats?
    Price is among the elite goaltenders in the NHL and is unbeatable when he is on his game. Halak is a middle-of-the-pack goalie who just plays for a very strong defensive team. Price plays for a team that can’t even hold on to a two-goal lead after two periods.
    The Habs suck this year! We just find ways to lose. We can’t score goals, we have a soft and inexperienced D, our overpaid vets are not getting the job done, we still have Gomez AND Kaberle… it is far from Price’s fault. Carey is our best player (hence why he was the only Hab in the ASG) and will be the best goalie in the league for years to come. He just needs a good team in front of him and he will have a GAA below 2 and a .930-plus save percentage. If Price played for the Blues, they would win the Stanley Cup!

• HardHabits says:

I watched last night’s game. Halak made numerous spectacular saves. Halak is the better goalie ATM. By a far margin. Price is average to mediocre on as many nights as he is above average. Spectacular he hasn’t been this season. Nor has he been particularly spectacular in his NHL play-off career up to now. Same can’t be said for Halak.

• mike3131 says:

I think Carey was pretty spectacular in last year’s playoffs. OK so he’s having a rough year. So is the whole team! Again, look at Miller in Buffalo. He’s having an even tougher year! Does that mean Halak is also a better goalie than Ryan Miller?

• jhab93 says:

Was reading TSN’s Canada roster for the Olympics in Russia and they had Price as the starter.. he even went on to say he thinks Price is the best Canadian goalie right now.. Brian Elliot is doing good in St.Louis right now lol. They have a good team, the habs are old and injured, but with youth coming in and if we trade a few contracts, get a good pick this year, we should be great next year ;)

Thats the way the cookie crumbles

9. Phil C says:

Re Price-Halak: I wish the Habs had more problems like which star goalie to trade.

10. Strummer says:

Price is a good goaltender- there is no question.
    The problem is he is being over-used. Ken Dryden started someting like 47 games in the record breaking 76-77 season.

We should have stuck with Halak and Price as 1/1A for as long as we could.
    That would have given Price some competetion and rest as he developed.
    Look at the Rangers. Torts says Henrik doesn’t need to play more than 65 games a year. Look at the Canuks, Bruins and Blues with their 2 man systems.

We pushed Price too fast because we were desperate for a saviour as in Roy or Dryden. He wasn’t ready for primetime in 2008 when we won the East and were poised to do well until Price collapsed in the 1st round (besides game 7).
    The skaters lost confidence and we couldn’t score.

He has been mis-managed.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

11. Richard B says:

Habs fan since 72 and j_p. thanks a lot. Ill certainly check out a couple of those. U both agree on joe beef. So id say thats one. We were also looking for sushi so thsnks for that to j_p

12. Roy93 says:

Trolling along? It’s my opinion buddy and what I’ve seen over the years. Great goalies thrive under pressure, that’s my point. Price folds like a tent ALL THE TIME. Makes 1 or 2 amazing saves and then drops the egg on us. I would explore the Miller situation and maybe getting a Bernier as backup (I hear L.A would listen). Other than that were stuck with what we have. The contracts we have will be the death of this team.

13. neumann103 says:

Some thoughts on goaltending

Price is a better goalie than Halak but has not stolen games this season.

Brian Elliot is a mediocre goalie and a 2012 All Star on the St Louis Blues.

Halak is a better goalie than the haters suggest, and the size and stamina concerns are overblown.

Keeping both as 1 and 1A was my preferred strategy but I love Lars Eller and think he is a better return on the investment than taking a chance on the pick they would have got from an offer sheet.

I think that professional athletes being paid millions of dollars should be able to deal with platooning a goaltending position as 1 and 1A.

Who is better than Price? What goalies would I unquestionably trade Price for 1:1 taking into account age and shelf life for the future: Lundqvist, Rinne. Obviously Brodeur was better, and there are a half dozen guys who are in the Price ballpark, but would you count on them being an actual upgrade?

“Et le but!”

• jedimyrmidon says:

One distinguishing factor in my mind is: can goalie X perform consistently night in and night out under the intense scrutiny and pressure in Montreal.

Also, can goalie tandems work in Montreal where fans and the media are ready to tear one guy apart if something goes wrong? Even if they are professional athletes, that’s a lot of pressure to go under, always knowing that the tide may turn against you in a very vocal manner and in an instant. In other markets, this 1/1A strategy may work where there is much less scrutiny, but I think in Montreal it would be much harder for people to keep level heads.

It seems like, in the past, the Habs have thrived when there was The Unquestioned Number 1 guy, the Hero (yeah, lots of hyperbole here). In this way, there was no question at all and the fans and media would be behind the guy 100%.

• neumann103 says:

Ummm, your point? Halak made a good save? Yes, this happens frequently. He is a good goalie. I wish he was still here.

As I stated above, keeping Price and Halak was my preferred outcome. I would have signed them both. You would have been forced to make a decision if both got offer sheets above $4M but otherwise why not keep ‘em both? The team wanted to pick a guy. They picked Price. I don’t have a problem with that. I guess each of them wanted to be a clear Number 1.

“Et le but!”

14. Who would the Habs get right now for Carey Price if he was traded?

15. Question for all Price bashers?

How many teams would like to have Carey Price as their starter?

That would be a very interesting statistic to see how many teams would take him?

Habs should just put Carey Price on waivers and see how fast he would be picked up? My bet Carey Price would be in CBJ in a heartbeat.

• neumann103 says:

As implied by my post above, I think that at least 20 NHL teams would jump on Price. There are probably about half a dozen that would view him as a lateral move, or close enough to a lateral move as to be pointless.

“Et le but!”

16. WestHab says:

So I’ve got tix to the Game here in Calgary March 6. Do you think I’ll experience a Markov sighting? Or do I have a better chance of seeing Elvis?

“Merci beaucoup.” Randy Cunnyworth

17. The Dude says:

ah the poor attempt at slagging Halak….what a joke people! Gainey should of sighned Mr Halak period and those who disagree at this point have craped the bed..ha ha ha I know ‘or I think I know ‘ what it must be like to be soooo wrong about something and how it’s embarrassing to have told the world of your very poor judgment skills through the blogs sphere but hey ,do you all really think sticking too your guns at this Point is going a help , I mean 5 shutouts in 7 games is just crazy good and your just going to look stupid trying too touch the subject . Mr Halak is one of the best goalies in the world and we blew it …. Period!

18. WestHab says:

I scrolled quickly through this mornings ramblings. I can’t believe all the Halak / Price talk. Total De-ja-vu think I went through a time portal to 2009. Look they are both good tenders and regardless of which one stayed we’d be in about the same spot in the standings today.

“Merci beaucoup.” Randy Cunnyworth

19. Captain aHab says:

I want to see Price dress as a power forward tonight. Then we can compare him to James Neal and say he sucks.

—————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

20. RiverviewCanadien says:

Since this will never go away, I will recap what I am reading.

St.Louis wins with Halak – The team out front did all the work
    St.Louis loses with Halak – Jaro sucks

Habs win with Price – he is the only reason the team has a chance EVERY night, and always should be 1st star.
    Habs lose with Price – His team let him down.

Does this sum up what people are debating over?

Let it go people.

Two different goalies, playing for two different systems. Both are good young goalies. I was a big fan of Halak before Price stepped on the ice. But Price is the Canadiens netminder, and I want him to be the best, so he gets my vote.

My opinion of who the better goalie is pointless. The only goalie that REALLY matters is Price, to me anyways.

EDIT: in my opinion the best goalie in this day and age, is King Henry. Not Price, Not Halak.

• Captain aHab says:

Please let it go.

—————-
      McGuire for GM!
      Roy for Coach!
      Sh*t for Brains!

• jedimyrmidon says:

Um, I don’t think people are saying that whenever the team wins, Price is the only reason, and that he should be the 1st star all the time (in fact, many nights, people clamour for Cole or someone else to be the 1st star) nor do people in general, if we lose, fail to recognize when Price has a bad game.

However, I think people react badly when the Habs lose and Price has a bad game and lets in a so-called softy then it’s time to ship him out, and how person X always knew Price wasn’t that great to begin with, can’t handle it, etc.

21. montreal ace says:

I have seen many scouting reports in my life that say, big,strong, great shot, soft hands, needs to work on skating to make the NHL. My question is do the Habs have a power skating instructor, who can look at a guy and say I can make him faster. Quebec has some great speed skating coaches in short track, using tools like this can give a club quite an edge.

• CranbrookEd says:

That is why it takes more than raw skill to succeed . . . there are always examples of raw skill just not making it for the long haul. Too many tangibles, such as character and determination, for skill to be the only item that needs to be investigated before drafting. There are other teams who employ skating coaches . . . since it is such a fundamental skill that everyone can improve certain aspects of, the HABs should also be doing this, throughout the season – it should be part of every practice!

CranbrookEd
      Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . . What ever happened to Johnny Jelly-Bean!?

• Phil C says:

The above link is about how figure skater Barbera Underhill helped Brian Boyle of the Rangers. I saw a news piece about her on TV. They showed a before-and-after video of a hockey player she was helping, and you could HEAR the difference in his strides. His skating strides sounded more crisp and less scratchy.

It is the little things like this that the Habs could be doing to give a competitive advantage to their prospects, or even their roster players; Darche’s stride has always looked inefficient to me.

Instead the Habs don’t even have a full-time director of player development, yet alone something innovative like a full-time skating coach for prospects. This is why I am skeptical that Habs management actually cares about winning. As long as the money is piling in and the Franchise is still perceived as prestigious, nothing will change on the ice.

• montreal ace says:

Phil great article on Underhill, I would like to see someone like her looking not only at our players and prospects, but future draft prospects that have all the tools but look clumsy. I feel clubs give up too easily, on guys who with some hard work in the skating department could turn into great players. Thanks for the info once again

22. Roy93 says:

Who cares about the regular season? It’s what you do in the playoffs that count. I liked the kid (Price) but I haven’t seen a goalie that allows so many backbreaker goals over and over again. When you have a goalie that’s money in the bank keep him. The kid always chokes under pressure. Last years back to back playoff losses to the Bruins (at home) he stunk the bed. Not to mention the crap overtime goal from the point. Brutal! The kid doesn’t have the “it” factor and I truly wish he did. These are just my opinions and I hope he proves me wrong.

• piper says:

Oh he will. Elsewhere unfortunately.

• gK_HabsFan says:

You have missed the series against Philly… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07lKf2LLgCI … Yikes!!

Not trying to diss Halak… love the guy

-GK-

• J_P says:

How about we judge him once the habs put in a team in front of him that can actually control the play and score goals? Without Carey last season, habs dont even make the playoffs, let alone come close to knocking off the eventual stanley cups champs.

• Roy93……………..Who’s your choice to replace Carey Price? Let us all know and we can debate your choice. If you cannot back it up? Keep trolling like you know it all.

When Carey Price has a healthy team in front of him, things would look a whole lot better. Right now Carey Price is under tremendous amount of pressure to perform game in and game out. Of course he might let in soft goals from time to time but in the end Carey Price will only get better in the years to come with a better team in front of him. Just wait and see.

All the bashing will end when Carey Price goes to a contending team and takes his team to a cup. Then the bashing would start for letting Carey Price go. Carey Price is not the problem? He is all the Habs got at this moment. Carey Price is Habs MVP and without him, this team would be in last place in the league.

23. gK_HabsFan says:

So let me get this straight… The WHOLE team can suck for a game, but as soon as Price lets in a soft goal he becomes the shittiest goaltender in the League? You guys are bananas!

If a team sucks like the Habs have this season… its going to have a trickle down effect on ALL the players on the team. From Plekanec to Subban to even Price. Shit is not going right… get over it!

The Habs have 19 W, and Price is responsible for atleast 75% of the wins. Imagine the kind of pressure you have when you know that if you let in more than 2 goals your team is gonna lose regardless… You guys are a Joke.

For those that want Halak back, LOL at you…. Think about it this way, Brian Elliot (The Backup), who was looking for a Job in the offseason… was an ALL-STAR, and not HALAK!!! Maybe their the coaching staff has to do with something with the success Halak and Elliot are having right now… because in the beginning of the season Halak was atrocious! And How many of you seriously believe Halak could have played in 72 games like Price played in last season. The lineup that the team is putting out there infront of Price is NOT a contender, so please stop comparing one’s success to another’s failure. The Blues are a hard-nosed team that is coached extremely well… The Habs are NOT!

Price is the reason why the Habs arent battling with CBJ for worst in the league… So appreciate the Talent you have in goal, and hope that management puts up a half-decent lineup to play in front of him next year!

Thank You!

• gK_HabsFan says:

Also… If there is a Player that you would Trade Price straight up for… One for One.. who would it be?

Now do the same for Halak…

The results may astonish you!

• J_P says:

Wow do i like this post!

Amazing how quickly “fans” forget eh? Price was the only reason the buffalo game was even close!

I especially like your point about the pressures price faces. He has to go into every game with the pressure of not letting more than a goal or two because he knows his teammates wont be able to outscore the opposition.

The defense is young and inexperienced, our forwards arent earning their paychecks, the team has been a circus all year long…What do people actually expect? Price to get a shutout every game?!

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah, I agree. I wrote this on a previous thread, but I’m not sure if some are voluntarily neglecting the fact that Halak is playing on a whole team playing well, a team that has been in the making for 5 years or so (this team having gone through some pretty bad years to get where they are), under a good coach known for a defensive style, and that while Halak can certainly steal some games, he’s certainly doesn’t need to singlehandedly steal many games for his team to win.

Also, Halak so far has split his workload with Elliot who is also putting up some pretty impressive numbers (no one appears to want him on our team even though he was available in the offseason for cheap). They form a good tandem. In Montreal, can a good tandem exist? As soon as there is a crease controversy, people will throw the struggling guy under the bus while crying out for the other one. They’d probably even boo the other guy, making it harder for him to get his confidence back and be great again. Not sure if Halak could handle being the de facto Number 1 and play 60-70 games a season.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I’m sorry; you make too much sense and must, therefore, be ejected from this site. It was nice knowing you. :)

• boonie says:

Price plays 85% of ours games, of course he has the vast majority of our wins. The question shouldn’t be who should we have kept, or is Eller appropriate value. I should be why couldn’t we have both?

Price is a talent and has a buddingly wonderful resume. I’ll be more impressed that we don’t need a 1A when he wins a playoff series or two or some post season hardware.

• gK_HabsFan says:

What i meant was… 75% of the games we have won, were probably because of Price.

-GK-

• boonie says:

That might be right. How many games did he lose for us?

• gK_HabsFan says:

Dumbass!!!

Comments like this is why I refrain from coming on this site!
            Go look at the stats… they will reveal something to you… none of the Habs scorers are playing well… Its impossible for a goalie to steal every game. Get an effing clue.

Allowing 2 goals is not called losing a game. When the team gets shutout its not called losing a game.

We get it… Halak is good… Happy?

-GK-

24. Hate82 says:

A goalie is only as good as the team in front of him. Having said that you can’t allow soft goals with a team that has a problem scoring and a weak defence. not to put Price down but that has been his problem also you have to steal a game now and than he hasn’t done that. that’s where Halak differs he can do that. as for who’s the best who knows. they’re on different teams and I would say St.Louis has better coaching.

25. badbalance says:

Cammy -6 so far in Calgary, hasn’t done squat. Perhaps it was Cammy the real loser for our team.

Honestly, who didn’t see Habs sinking this low when the management (thanks again, Bobo) started to Senatorize the Habs?

Gainey has been primarily responsible for the mess Habs are in today. It all starts at the top. I don’t know what Boivin’s contribution has been but couldn’t have been a good one either.

Why can’t this organization hire smart people to manage this team? Sigh. Here is to another 20 years of mediocrity.

27. montreal ace says:

The waiver wire is a tool the Habs have not been able to use really in many years. Is there a chance the Habs might pick up a good player from now till the end of the year

28. CranbrookEd says:

Is the team really “that” bad? Nope . . . however, nor are they really that good. There is an excellent core of players who want to play and earn their obscene amounts of money. That said, looking at the chart in the above article, I cannot reconcile any point for any of the dollar amounts – it is simply so out of line with the reality of most people who rise in the morning to earn an honest living.

Halak . . . sorry, but he was the correct choice to send packing. There would not be still be any discussion IF the HABS were placing a decent product in front of Price. When the Blues are in the playoffs, Halak will NOT be able to produce consistently over the long haul . . .

PK . . . I am a supporter of this very young and still learning player . . . who should not have had the chore of actually being the team’s defensive leader in his second full season . . . too much too soon, he will be a solid member of the team for many years . . .

It is NOT necessarily the placement of the draft pick that is (most) important, it is the scouting/evaluation/leg work completed right now that is the most important . . .

While the “rotund” lady is warming-up and will eventually get to perform, you are either a fan/team supporter or you are but a troll with a very stinky attitude . . . you do not have to be happy with the team and particular members, but at least have some good things to say about team members who do show and play hard every game . . . geez, it is only a game being played by millionaires . . . if only some of the payroll went towards real life issues . . . public education, healthcare, medical research . . . and on and on and on . . . .

CranbrookEd

• Chris says:

Why are you, and so many others, so confident that Halak is any less capable of producing consistently over the playoffs than any other goalie?

Halak is small. That is his biggest knock. But small goalies have done well: Mike Vernon, Chris Osgood, Tim Thomas, Arturs Irbe, etc. have all gone on nice runs in the playoffs.

Get the right team in front of any goalie and they can look mighty good. You only need to get hot for 6 weeks. I don’t actually think the Blues are a legitimate Stanley Cup contender quite yet (their inexperience could cause problems under the pressure of the playoffs), but I’ve been wrong more times than I’ve been right. :)

As for the $/point or $/goal charts, you always have to take those with a grain of salt. Sidney Crosby doesn’t fare particularly well on such charts even when healthy, but there is no way you trade him for David Desharnais.

• CranbrookEd says:

I base my thoughts on Halak on – take a breath – on his performance with the HABS in the playoffs . . . there were games that he stood on his head, but there were too many where they hauled him because he was just not there – he does not have the stamina!

CranbrookEd

• boonie says:

Yeah, we’re that bad. We’re tied for last in the east. 51 games provides more than ample statistical evidence.

Last season, the talk was “we took the eventual Stanley Cup champs to 7 games.” We added Cole, who has been nothing short of outstanding, and we’re worse. Much, much worse.

And, don’t kid yourself, losing Halak is a real loss. Having a 1/1a means we can spell both and play a hot one when the other gets cold. Boston and Vancouver have this.

This team is not “close”… We’re not “one player away”…

We have some good up and comers – DD, patches, PK… Leblanc looks good in a limited role. Emelin will improve. The older core is worth more to other teams than to us. The deadline is a place to maximize that value.

Guys like Gill and Moen are obvious examples. There’s more risk trading younger players, like the recent debates over Plecs. If the return is huge, it would be hard to justify it turning down.

Those returns, a high pick, the continued development of our young NHLers and growth of our prospects is what can turn around this last place group.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I also didn’t think they were that bad until last game. They were pathetic in the last half of it and not all that good in the first half. Their attempts to tie it up would have been hilarious if it all wasn’t so sad. I know there were bad breaks aplenty, but they really seemed out of it to me.

29. Richard B says:

Hey all. Im downtown for the weekend for the next three games. Im looking for recommendations on restauerants for breakfast and supper. Im here 6 days so the more the better. Thanks for your help

• remi_10069 says:

Breakfast – Chez Cora on Stanley
      Supper – Queue de Cheval $$$$$, Decca 77 $$$$, Baton Rouge $$, Old Orchard $

pipes

• J_P says:

Wow, too many great restaurants in this city to even name. We truly are spoiled in Montreal.

If you want something out of the ordinary for breakfast, hit up the Le Gros Jambon in old montreal. L’Orignal (owned by the same guy as Le Gros Jambon) is excellent for dinner and drinks, and has a unique menu. Queue de Cheval is your classic steakhouse, but for the money I would try to get in to Joe Beef on Notre-Dame.

If you’re in the mood for japanese food/sushi, I like Kaizen on the corner of Ste Catherine and Wood. Their sushi is good, but their appetizers are out of this world. We usually just end up getting a bunch of them and splitting them.

If you want a really good burger, theres MBurger. I wouldn’t say its the best burger in the city, and its quite pricey for a burger, but it has a great dinner ambiance.

For Irish pub fare, I like the Irish Embassy, although Old Orchard is a great pub as well. If you’re in the mood for smokehouse style food, Le Boucan on Notre Dame probably has the best pulled pork in the city, and their BBQ sauce is perfection.

Enjoy!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Richard – it really depends what you are looking for.

For me, the best restaurant experience in Montreal is Joe Beef/Liverpool House. It is pricey but you are getting what you pay for.

A good neighborhood is the Mile End – walk up St.Laurent past Mt.Royal and you will find a lot of nice places.

If you wish to explore the East end of our fair city, there are quite a few nice neighborhood restaurants. http://www.voir.ca will steer you right.

Tapeo, Jolifou, Le Madre all great.

The area around Concordia (Guy/Ste.Catherine) is a new hotbed of Asian restaurants many of which are fantastic.

For breakfast there are a few famous joints: Beauty’s, Cosmos, l’Avenue all worth trying out.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

30. Roy93 says:

What’s wrong with some of you? Why are we debating goalies? First of all Halak is the better goalie, period! Second management screwed that one up royally. Third we have to do with what we have. I saw the Blues game last night and Jaro is unreal man. We all know he’s just getting warmed up. When the Blues get into the playoffs all I have to say is enjoy the ride. I’m gonna love watching. Price better than Jaro? What a joke!

• piper says:

Price is the better goalie. StLouis has the better defence. Simple as that.
      Unfortunately when Price starts winning cups it probably won’t be with us.

• martincurran55 says:

Price is a hell of a lot better than Halak. I don’t even understand how this can be a discussion. Habs fans are the worst fans in the world. Shame on you Roy93.

• J_P says:

I love when people pass off opinion as fact. Its amusing.

Goalie’s are as good as the team in front of them. Look at mike smith. He was disaster in Tampa Bay (a team with extremely poor defense), yet is doing extremely well in Phoenix (a team that made Ilya Bryzgalov look like a world beater).

Brian Elliott wasnt out of this world in Ottawa or Colorado, but suddenly he goes to St Louis and hes one of the best in the league.

IMO, you put Carey Price on Boston, St Louis, or Detroit, and he would probably be a lock to win the vezina.

31. New says:

I think the Halak fans/Price haters are funny. St Louis is like 6-6 with 32 goals for and 33 against so they fire the coach and bring in Hitch. They are now 29 and 20 with 124 goals for and 96 against. They went from more goals against than scored to more goals for than scored, with both goalies “sparkling” and Price is to blame for a team with 30 some million a year tied up in players who are injured or don’t show up at all?

Face it folks the Habs are playing with half a team, no leaders, and usually on the perimeter. Price, Subban, and the other kids are not part of the problem.

• martincurran55 says:

Completely agree with you. We have a great young core, and we will get another good pick this year too. This team is not very good, the vets are awful, and our GM is a dud.
      Keep the young core in tack, let the kids play and stop harassing them. I have been a Habs fan my whole life, but if I was ever good enough to play in the NHL, I would never play in Montreal because of the fans and media. I’m sure Price and Subban feel the same way too. They are counting down the years until they are UFA’s.
      Too bad we have such an awful fan base and media.

• piper says:

You’re right Martin, I’ve been a fan of this team since 70 and its been a while since we’ve had young talent like Price and Subban.
        If these kid are driven out of town by this brutal fan base I will need to start following a different team.

32. Bertuzzi says:

One thing that has impressed me about this team all season is their ability to find a way to lose. Whether it’s an untimely soft goal, a blown-third period lead, defensive lapses, missed opportunities on the PP, you name it. It’s teamwork: one of the players always steps up and finds a way to cost them the game.

Now that we sane fans realize that tanking is the only rational option, I can confidently predict that the Habs will finish as one of the worst three teams in the league. Their clockwork ability to fail is now their greatest asset.

The path to the bottom is inevitable. The only question now is will Gomez score a goal.

33. twilighthours says:

All you folks who are worried about the culture of losing that a tank might create: where were you back in September when the true culture of losing was instilled? Remember that preseason? Still think it wasn’t important? Still think it had absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the team this year?

• Chris says:

I think the preseason was an important factor, but injuries are still the biggest culprit.

- Cammalleri missed a few games and was pretty clearly not the same after his injury
      - Spacek missed 17 games
      - Plekanec and Subban have both been playing with what look to me like back injuries…they have both been stretching themselves out a LOT on the bench, especially earlier in the season
      - Kostitsyn missed 10 games
      - Gionta missed 11 games only to come back and be lost for the season
      - Markov has missed the season
      - Gomez missed 21 games
      - White has missed the season

In and of themselves, the injuries don’t appear to be particularly major on an individual basis with the exception of the irreplaceable loss of Andrei Markov. But the loss of those players causes ripple effects; players that were expected to be playing lesser roles were thrust into major minutes, in many cases before they were ready.

What we’ve seen is not necessarily that a healthy Montreal Canadiens team is particularly bad, but more that the Habs simply didn’t have enough depth. A defence corps of

Markov-Gorges
      Subban-Campoli
      Gill-Spacek
      Emelin/Diaz/Weber

is not going to scare anybody, but it isn’t going to be brutal either. Unfortunately, we never got to see that.

• Phil C says:

If I understand you correctly, you are implying that the poor play in preseason was a result of the team not putting enough emphasis or importance on it. I see one common denominator – the players. The players were not good enough then and they are still not good enough. The lost then and they are losing now. In hindsight, I suspect management knew they had holes in the line-up and they were using the pre-season in the desperate attempt to find diamonds in the rough. I suppose Diaz was one player that unexpectedly won a job in the pre-season. No one else stepped up.

34. LL says:

All that is missing is for someone to photoshop Jaro’s head on Elvis’ body performing in Vegas. (skinny Elvis, of course). ;)

Actually for all those that love Halak and hate Price, the joke is on Price for not being traded to the better team.

Isn’t love all about seeing the person be happy? Jaro is in a good place, so be happy. Also be happy that the goalie you hate is suffering behind a crap team.

But seriously, we’ll all have to wait about 20 years, after both retire, to assess their careers, and deem who was the better goalie. Even then, we probably won’t agree. So let’s keep arguing.

35. smiler2729 says:

We don’t need to tank, this team can try its damnedest to win and still find a way to lose.

I don’t think bottoming out is necessarily going to lead to 4-5 years of suckage, both Boston and Philly scraped bottom and jettisoned excess crap in the mid ’00s and bounced right back the next season… we just need someone in the GM chair that has a freakin’ clue!

Washington 5, Habs 2 this aft
    Winnipeg 4, Habs 3 tomorrow aft
    NY Giants 35, New England 24 tomorrow night

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

36. ed lopaz says:

about goaltending and Carey Price.

let’s take any talk about Halak out of the equation.

a goalie must be able to make key saves at key points in the hockey game.

that’s why the stats the NHL compiles are not a full and accurate picture of what’s really going on.

save % is too general, too vague.

how many saves came from shots from the primary scoring area around the middle of the ice and near the net??

what was the goal differential?

what time in the game did the saves occur?

after watching almost every Habs game this season I have come to the conclusion that

THIS SEASON Carey Price has not been clutch, and he has not been a difference maker.

this team had a lot of injuries – too many.

this team has a tough time scoring.

but it seems to me that even when we score and the players we have on the ice are playing well,

we have not gotten nearly the goaltending that Price gave the team last season.

Just as Subban has been much worse this season than last,

Price has seen his play drop off considerably as well.

Without the Price of last season this team had no chance.

Especially, because our back up goalie was never given a chance to get hot.

Especially because the Habs (Gauthier) decided that Price was a goalie that HAD TO PLAY 65-70 games, and Budaj or Ault or whoever would be a completely insignificant part of the team.

Goalies like Price will have outstanding seasons, like last year.

They will also have mediocre and un-clutch seasons like this season.

So did management make mistakes- yes.

Was Martin a terrible coach who could not adjust to the players he had on the ice – yes

Did we have the worst power play – for which Subban`s inability to emerge as a legit Power Play quarterback played a key role – yes

But also Price must take some measure of responsibility in this.

37. christophor says:

In other news, Patrick blew a fuse again, but the Yakupov suspension makes it seem like he was right:

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=386741 (Roy fined…again)

http://tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=386870 (Yakupov suspended)

• Chris says:

Have to go with Yakupov. Suspending players for not taking part in a prospects game is ridiculously stupid. These kids are not being paid anything more than room and board money. Why anybody plays in the CHL when they are then forced to stay in that league until they are 20 (instead of having the option to start earning money as a professional in the AHL or ECHL as early as 18) is simply beyond me.

I think we will slowly see a trend of more players going the U.S. College route.

• Chris says:

The only problem with that is the NCAA might just be the most corrupt sports body on the planet. They are even worse that the CHL. The only saving grace is you can leave the NCAA at 18 and go play professionally, if you so choose.

I wonder if we won’t start to see some of these kids move over to Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Germany or Russia. You get to go explore a new country and you can earn an actual living while you develop, as opposed to earning $100 per week or less.

Wayne Gretzky signed in the WHA as a 17 year old, as did Mark Messier, Ken Linseman and Gordie Roberts (at the time, you had to be 20 before you could play in the NHL). The European leagues could actually draw some elite talent over if they started talking to some of the star North American kids and point out

i) We can pay you a decent wage for a couple of years
          ii) Our league is at least as good, if not better, than the CHL

At the top yah NCAA is corrupt, but talk to players about their college experience and how much they enjoy it. Top it off with an excellent education which for many who don’t make NHL builds a wonderful post hockey life. These benefits are incredible. The elite players will continue to choose CHL, but many ofmy friends are encouraging their kids to look south of the border instead of CHL.

• Chris says:

I’m sure they do enjoy their time. And for players with more marginal chances of making the NHL, playing university hockey is far and away their best bet.

But as fun as playing in university might be, I’m sure that an 18 or 19 year old kid could learn a lot and have a wonderful life experience playing in Stockholm or Geneva or Helsinki. There is no single path, I suppose, that will fit everybody’s desires.

• ed lopaz says:

not enough games being played at the NCAA schedule.

the players in junior hockey end up playing almost 300 games in 4 years.

re: your reply below is entirely correct.

but if you ask NHL scouts they will prefer a major junior experience of hundreds of games of competition.

general rule of thumb for a drafted kid:

1st round selection go major junior

any other round, go to NCAA, and protect your interests.

I agree with this principle.

• Chris says:

Which, in many cases, means higher chances of injury. There have been plenty of excellent hockey players that come out of the NCAA despite the much lower number of games.

And the offset is that while you play more games in junior, the level of competition in the NCAA is often more representative of professional hockey. Yakupov is playing in a league where 50% of the players are 17 or 18 years old. A typical NCAA player is 18 at the youngest, and it isn’t uncommon to be playing against players that are 21-25 years old. At those ages, players are bigger and stronger.

• ed lopaz says:

Players like Yakupov are likely getting much more than room and board money.

the elite of elite, and Yakupov is in that category could get thousands of dollars when they sign, and continue getting paid thousands more for every season they play.

also, some players are given financial guarantees that could go to hundreds of thousands of education money.

for example, Esposito was guaranteed by Roy to the tune of 4 years full tuition at an American university – or about 160,000 worth of guaranteed tuition money.

leblanc was given a similar guarantee when he left Harvard.

But I still agree with your post.

The league`s rule severely punish 99% of the players.

• Chris says:

I am not sure on this, but I don’t think Yakupov received a signing bonus when he started in Sarnia. The signing bonuses are typically on NHL contracts, so he’s hoping for his first payday when he gets drafted this summer.

There’s always rumours of hush-hush dealings by certain owners (Patrick Roy in Quebec, the Hunters in London), but I’m not convinced that there is much to them.

The scholarship thing IS true, but players can’t use that deal if they play a single professional game. As Esposito has now played in the AHL, he can’t use that money. I’ve heard and read rumours that some of these deals can be transferred to family members, but haven’t ever heard this from a reliable source.

• ed lopaz says:

I have sat with major junior owners and I have been part of the discussions.

I know that the money is there.

The professional status is there for a reason – and it is used to attract and keep the elite players.

The money flows for the super elite players and it keeps them from the NCAA.

38. Nova Scotia Voyageurs says:

I don’t see what all the fuss is about Gomez scoring drought. There are other much much better hockey players than Gomez who have had longer scoring drought than number 11…..
    Patrick Roy, Luongo, Tretiak, Worsley, Fleury, kiprus…….oh wait….those as goaltenders….never mind

39. WindsorHab-10 says:

CHANGES FOR NEXT YEAR MUST INCLUDE “BIG BIRD” LARRY ROBINSON.
    THAT IS LARRY ROBINSON, HALL OF FAMER, PROUD CANADIEN & GREATEST DEFENCEMAN IN HABS HISTORY.
    ONCE AGAIN, LARRY ROBINSON, THAT’S RIGHT, LARRY ROBINSON.

• montrealtilldeath says:

Totally agree. Did you see the way he was talking to his team in the last time out in the Devils game? And they were all attentive because they respect the man. Larry would salivate at the chance to coach a player with the talent and potential of PK Subban. Subban’s intensity and skills are really similar to the Big Bird’s. A rough diamond that only needs the proper diamond cutter. Larry Robinson would have PK’s instant respect because of Robinson’s credentials as well as the fact that the Big Bird would also give back respect ala the article on PK by Bobby Holik.

40. TheAmerican says:

And now my graphical representation of the Hab’s season –

CHoo><ooHC

I call it "Train Wreck."

41. twilighthours says:

G-man, you still don’t get the tank argument, do you?

• Captain aHab says:

G-Man likes to think no draft pick will ever pan out. I prefer to think that Grigorenko will Rockalenko.
      —————-
      McGuire for GM!
      Roy for Coach!
      Sh*t for Brains!

• G-Man says:

You still believe a rookie will be some sort of saviour, right? There ain’t no Crosbys in this bunch.
      Tanking, or losing games purposefully, is utter bullshit. It rips off all the paying fans while pretending to be competitive. It’s, to be blunt, nothing but a con.
      Of course, if they paid back all the money from the remaining home games and slashed prices on next season’s games- if there is one- then, tank away. I don’t think many people in Montreal would want to pay top NHL prices to watch the Bulldogs.

• twilighthours says:

My tank argument – shared by many – has nothing to do with finding the next Crosby. You’ve never read anything by me or my brethren about getting a superstar that will help next year.

So… no, you still don’t understand the argument.

• martincurran55 says:

Yes, I think most of us level headed fans realize that this season is a wash and that we need to go back to the draft. It is obviously not going to be an Oilers or Islanders type rebuild, but a rebuild nonetheless.

If we can get a top 5 pick, I think it will really help us. We are not going to get a Crosby, but if you are in the Top 5, you will get another great player to add to our young core.

42. habs001 says:

The reality is beyond a couple of goaltenders in the league the majority of the starters are about the same…right now there is very few if any canadian goalie that i would feel confident with in a must win game in the olympics or the gold medal that is tied in the third with overtime/so potential…

• christophor says:

I follow, but instead of thinking they’re about the same, I think, rather, that it’s far harder to compare goalies than people take it to be. You can’t just throw team numbers around – good or bad – and tack them solely on the goalie. In a sport where the MAIN idea is for 6 players to score goals and stop goals from being scored, GAA is hardly a goalie’s stat. Same with shut outs. Sv% is closer but it still strongly correlates with shot number and quality. That’s to say goalie performance strongly correlates with team performance. No surprise there, but people can’t get their heads around the idea.

The only time when it’s easier to criticize a goalie is when the team’s stats besides those shared by the goalie are all good. See the first third of Halak’s season vs Elliot’s. It’s also not as much as a stretch as people think to be not-so-impressed with Halak’s string of 18-22 save shut outs. My reaction is that Halak is playing well but more so that the Blues are dominating. Halak’s good. Thought so at his low times last year too. But people around here are nuts.

It’s mind boggling how quickly people turn on Price (or jump on the Price wagon). For that matter, it’s ridiculous how quickly Pleks has been dumped.

Short memories.

• habs001 says:

Very true…pure ability is pretty close for most goalies sometimes confidence plays a big part…

• New says:

You understand it. The offense is outnumbered in the offensive zone. Even on a penalty they are just even up. Someone has to make a mistake for a goal to happen and it is usually not the goalie. Most NHL goalies are very good. Teams with inexperience give up more goals than experienced teams because they make more mistakes. They don’t read the play, know where the puck will be, and habitually try too hard just making it worse. Add in that the Habs like the perimeter, and the crowd loves it, this is what you get.

• montrealtilldeath says:

True measure for goal tenders would be saves average in terms of scoring chances. I remember games where our team out shot the opposition 2 to 1 and were out scoring chanced 6 to 1.

43. twilighthours says:

That salary-per-goal (or point) chart is awesome, and speaks volumes about the realities of actually managing a team and its financials.

And it strengthens the case for Desharnais, as if that still needs doing. I guess there are still a few people out there who think Gomez is better than DD.

44. habs001 says:

This game has all the potential to get ugly.. would not be suprised with a lifeless effort and trailing 4-0/4-1 in the third………sadly it could be a long afternoon for the paying customers…

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Will definitely not watch them play because I want to be Habs-free until next season.
      With trading deadline fast approaching & us becoming sellers, I wonder how much ownership really cares about this team keeping Pierre Gauthier in charge & perhaps ruining us for many more years to come with bone-headed trades/signings. I have Zero trust in him and think he should’ve been let go before JM.
      Gainey & Gauthier have disgraced this organization & made it the laughing stock of sports. I will never forgive BG for that.

• Captain aHab says:

“Will definitely not watch them play….”

You WILL watch the game….it’s like a train wreck involving your mother in law. Both horrifying and satisfying at once.

—————-
        McGuire for GM!
        Roy for Coach!
        Sh*t for Brains!

• WindsorHab-10 says:

You’re right.

• habs001 says:

The habs are actually favoured on proline vs the caps and jets… hard to bet against the habs…i know there is a lottery for the draft but if there was not one and final game of the season leafs/habs..habs win leafs dont make the playoffs..leafs win we get first pick..still would be hard to cheer for the habs to get beaten…lol

45. richman says:

Please,for god sake lose again.Let’s go for number 1 or 2 draft this year.Making the playoffs would create an illusion to the brass that this team is close.Having said that,we have a pretty good foundation and this summer they can make the changes needed.

Richard Arsenault

46. Lets just say……Send Carey Price to his home town for Roberto Luongo and the Habs have there home town goalie as well. This would stop all the trashing of who is better CP or JH.

Lets see what CP can do for his Vancouver Canucks and play more games against JH of St Louis Blues. Who would win majority of games? Carey Price or Jaroslav Halak?

This would end all debate who would be the better goalie.

• G-Man says:

Let Luongo rot in Vancouver, hamstringing the Nucks cap for 5.3mil until 2022. If he were bought out, it would affect the Nucks cap until 2032. Is that what you want? Really?

Smart management does not overpay for goalies.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

If Luongo can’t handle the pressure in Vancouver, he will definitely fall apart in Montreal.
      Luongo is the most overrated player in the league.

47. Corson27 says:

The Canadiens are fighting for their playoff lives? The Only thing the Canadiens are fighting for is a lottery pick.

48. JoeC says:

I guess we shouldnt be surprised that the Halakians are still around since Boone is there leader….

Seriously Boone, i know some people have no lives other then to bash Price and to keep praising Halak whos been gone 2 years, but seriously, why do you feed the trolls like that?

• G-Man says:

Boone did not bash Price. He merely posted the result of the game. Price has not been the problem this season. The team defense is the problem. The Rangers, #1 in the east, have scored an average of 2.775 GPG. They have only allowed 2.04 GPG. In comparison, the Habs scoring is at 2.62 GPG and are allowing 2.78. That is where the problem lies. Team D mixed in with many games where the Habs score 1 or none.

49. How long is Mike Blunden out for? What type of injury does he have? Cheers

• G-Man says:

It looked like a concussion. That check from behind Thursday cause his jaw to smash against the boards.

• montreal ace says:

Its a shame the NHL only gave a fine of 2500 for that hit, should have been a suspension.

• The Habs have a rematch with New Jersey Devils on the 19th of Feb. at home. Hoping Mike Blunden is back into line-up that night? Patrik Elias better watch his back that night and be on the lookout when Mike Blunden is on the ice. There should be some fireworks and a bit of nastiness in that game. Habs have nothing to lose.

P.K. Subban probably be a target all night long for his hit on Larsson. Going to be interesting game that night?

• montreal ace says:

I hope that the Habs settle a few scores the rest of the season, as the NHL just lets open season continue with dirty hits against the Habs. I like Blunden and the energy he brings,while fighting hard for a job next season. I was not surprised by the non suspension, as the devils are cash poor and fighting for playoff money, I am surprised how there is no outcry over Shanashames decisions.

50. G-Man says:

As interest in this season wanes, posts fall to new lows. It’s the end of the world, I tells ya!

• TomNickle says:

Hey ya have to give Boone credit. Another link to a Jaroslav Halak win is highly original. I haven’t seen one in at least a couple of days.

;)

• G-Man says:

As Halak’s shutouts and wins mount, it’s all too easy, isn’t it.
        The Habs season is one part management- I like Diaz, but he’s tiny-one part coaching- 7 Dmen still, RC? And one part players. Individually, most Habs are having poor seasons production-wise. The coaches can mix and match lines and defense pairings all they want, but the result is the same: 3 poor games for every good one.
        I guess it’s time to bring in a hypnotherapist to suggest to all the Dmen they’re Larry Robinson and half the forwards they’re Guy Lafleur and the other half Brian Skrudland. ;)

• neumann103 says:

Revision:
          Brainwash Half the D to think they are Larry Robinson and the other half to think they are Chris Chelios.
          Brainwash Lars Eller to think he is Jean Beliveau.
          Brainwash AK46 to think he is AK27 on a motivated day

“Et le but!”

51. christophor says:

You’re exactly that irrational fan I had in mind for my post below. It’s crazy because when times are good (or even ok), you’re pretty level headed. Can’t keep a clear head when times are bad, like so many Habs fans.