Sunday argument-starter

Emelin
If Chris Campoli draws into the Canadiens’ lineup, who sits?
The Russian Bear, Alexei Emelin?
Swiss Mr., Raphael Diaz?
And what happens if/when Andrei Markov returns?
Does Emelin stay on D and Diaz become the new Mark Strei Lite, dressing as a forward/Dman in place of his countryman, Yannick Weber?

Questions, questions and more questions.

We at HIO wish we had answers.

And maybe we do. But a full football schedule (plus Stoke City vs. surprising Tottenham) on the tube beckons, so the Commentariat can work this out.

Be nice! Both the Bear and Mr. have been pretty darn good for first-year defencemen.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card (Emelin and Diaz: 6.8 each)

François Gagnon on Pierre Gauthier’s brilliant acquisition

Kaberle loved Montreal even before he got here

Here is where we place in the 30 team league this week folks.!

Goals A–77. We stand 12th. Last week 12th with 69 against.

Total Points–31. 19th place. Last week 21st place with 27 points.

Goals F–74. We stand 18th. Last week 22nd place with 67 goals.

A slight move to the positive this week folks. I just wonder why it took so long after Kirk left us to realize that a forward on the point for the power play was a bad move. If we had of scored only 6 power play goals through that total drought, we would have been in 10th place in the standings out of 30 teams easily.

Lets just hope we can keep improving.

• Habsrule1 says:

Some things that JM does really boggles the mind. I think he’s a smart hockey guy, but why can he not see when some things just are not working.
      That being said, I recently read an article about how great a coach Patrick Roy would be for Montreal.

Go Habs Go!!

2. durocher says:

Trade Weber for some grit on the 4th line; send Diaz down to Hamilton as he can go there without having to clear waivers.

Gorges-Subban
    Kaberle-Emelin
    Gill-Campoli

3. habsfanforever7631 says:

I think we should make a trade like trade Diaz, Weber or Campoli. Teams will be looking for Dmen like that.
    Trade one of them for like a forth line player, or a young guy for Hamilton.

Subban Gorges
    Emilen Kaberle
    Gill Diaz

If Weber is traded, then Campoli 7th rotating with Diaz and Gill.
    If they cant trade Weber, or if PG doesn’t want to trade him, then send him down to Hamilton.

What do you guys think?

Go Habs Go

4. keepthefaith says:

Why do we love having a D on forward? Its pathetic. Emelin stays in line up and softy mc softerson and country mate sit.

5. habsolutely416 says:

if kabelre can play like that on most nights he will be a big help to the habs. i dont like his contract but his experience should help. him playing for boston can hopefully give the habs some tips on their system and possibly give them an edge when playing them.

ill be in the slot ;)

• Hab-Q says:

How can you not like his contract?
      It’s only 2 more years after this. At a reasonable $4.25 per.

He’s one of only 3 D-men we have signed for next year along with Markov and Weber.
      If Markov can’t go- then Kabbie will be your only veteran D-man as you try to transition all your young D in.

You will never attract a free agenct with Kabbbie’s experience and ability at a reasonable price like we have him.

This was a Carolina salary dump. Good fortune for us.

If you don’t like Kabbie’s contract the others like Gionta, Cammy and Gomez should make you want to hurl

______________________________________________________
      “I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out”

~Rodney Dangerfield

6. The Dude says:

Play all the high priced players….that’s why they be making the money’s!And showcase them for a House Cleaning because LOSER pointing your way into play-off contention is for losers and not Les GLORIUX!

7. Danno says:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but…

Chara injured in Bruins’ win:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

8. kholdstare says:

I like Boone’s approach to this, it’s like Coffee Talk with Linda Richman from snl.

Diaz or Emelin? Discuss

Probably left because he was a little verklempt about Kaberle’s performance yesterday

9. BramptonHab says:

I say send down Weber to the Bulldogs and keep Diaz on the bench as a 7th defenceman or an alternate forward.

10. Favorite Son says:

Nothing spectacular about Diaz. Put in Campoli.

• wmarcello says:

I’m not totally sure there’s anything special about Campoli either. Haven’t seen much of him, but based on his career stats and his bouncing of team to team, I think the real argument is who sits between Campoli, Diaz, and Gill.

Emelin does not sit, period. He brings a physical element nobody else brings. Campoli, Diaz, Kaberle, and Subban all bring offensive elements, with Subban and Kaberle obviously being the best of the four.

Gorges-Subban
      Kaberle-Emelin
      Two of Campoli/Gill/Diaz

11. Coach K says:

Campoli will help in the short term but that should be about it. I’ve watched a lot of Sens games over the years. What I do remember about Campoli is that he was a good skater with decent offensive instincts who could leg it out of the D-zone if needed but played soft on D. And Oh yeah…he was a turnover machine! Mind you, that was fairly early in his career. Haven’t seen him play much in recent years though so maybe his decision making has improved with age and experience. That said, he’s still not the guy you want out there to keep Lucic off Price or for that matter, on the ice in the last minute trying to lock down a one goal game.
    I tend to agree with what most here are saying in that he is serviceable player who should be considered as trade bait near the deadline.

“Shut up and play against him” – Bob Gainey (2011 Heritage Classic)

12. HabFanSince72 says:

Question of the day:

Some people thought that the Kaberle trade meant Markov’s goose was cooked. Which leads to this question:

Why is having your goose cooked a bad thing? Doesn’t it mean it’s ready to eat? That’s good isn’t it?

Maybe you don’t like goose – but then why did you buy it? Maybe it was your pet goose and someone cooked it as a cruel prank – but who has a goose as a pet? If that was the meaning wouldn’t the saying be “your dog/cat is cooked”?

My goose is cooked? Great. Pass the gravy.

• habfanacrossthed says:

Cool story bro ^

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

• Habtastic says:

What if it’s your pet goose, and someone else decided it would make a great dinner?

Also Gauthier firmly denied that Markov’s recovery status had changed (for what it’s worth). It is clearly to salvage the 6 weeks before his return though. I think Markov will be fine and when back will be a beast. No more problems. In the long run, I approve of taking medical precautions. We all will.

————–
      The Drive for 25

• Rugger says:

One possible source I just read says that it came from some mad viking lord who was beseiging a village. The village hung a goose from the wall to show that they were not starving so the viking burned the village to the ground thus “cooking their goose”.

13. Chrisadiens says:

If I know JM, and I think I do:

Same line-up until we lose a game. Campoli sits.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

14. Storm Man says:

Wow I don’t talk much about other teams on here but look how the Blues are doing after making a coaching change. And Funny who the best goalie is on the Blues… H-word will be ok as the back up making 3.5 mil a year so far that is the best trade PG has made.

• Chris says:

In November:

H-word: 3-2-2, 1.55 GAA, 0.938 SV%, 1 SO
      Elliott: 6-0-0, 0.99 GAA, 0.961 SV%, 2 SO

In December:

H-word: 1-0-1, 1.97 GAA, 0.937 SV%, 0 SO
      Elliott: 2-1-0, 2.01 GAA, 0.932 SV%, 1 SO

They’re both doing well. Halak’s stats are distorted by an awful October, but he’s been playing well (every other start) since then. Hitchcock is just so good for a year or two at instilling a strong commitment to team defence.

He made Pascal Leclaire look very good in Columbus, and then made Steve Mason into a Vezina candidate.

The proble with Hitchcock is that, like Mike Keenan or Pat Burns, the players rebel against him after 3 or 4 seasons so he gets fired. Still, he’s probably one of the top coaches in hockey and will probably never be out of work for long after demonstrating that his tactics work in the “new” old NHL.

• Everlasting1 says:

Hitchcock has improved the Blues’ D and pk tenfold, and are becoming one of the best 5 on 5 teams.

——————————————————————-
        “For I will go through the land of Egypt on that night, and will smite all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the Gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD.” Exodus 12:12

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Everlasting1 says:

Elliot is posting the best numbers in the LEAGUE, and just earned his 4th shutout. Halak is seeing a lot of action as a ‘backup’. How’s eLLER doing? Another project gone bad..

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• kempie says:

“How’s eLLER doing? Another project gone bad.”

Is this a joke or are you just drunk or something?

• Everlasting1 says:

His numbers are just flying off the page, aren’t they?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Sharks9 says:

He’s a sophomore and he’s better than he was last year. Cut the kid some slack. Elliott’s not gonna keep those numbers up forever, he’s only played 15 games.

25 before 14

• Everlasting1 says:

We’ll see.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Chrisadiens says:

He’s mad that Halak is a career back-up goalie……

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Everlasting1 says:

We’ll see. Meanwhile, he’s enjoying the view on a team tied for 3rd in the tough West.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Bripro says:

The west isn’t as tough as it once was.
            Most of the superstars are getting oder. Look at the Red Wings.
            Personally, I think the N.E. is now the toughest division.

• Everlasting1 says:

Yea Bripro ..look at Det! Posting Boston’s numbers.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Bripro says:

Maybe, but you have to agree, a few years ago, there’s no way that would have happened.
            They were the dominant team in the NHL, but no longer.
            Any team can beat almost any team these days.

• Everlasting1 says:

Det. are still very dominant. 7-1 over the Jets last night.
            Vancouver are returning to form.. 9-1 in their last 10. Minny look to be for real too.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• bertuzzisucks says:

Eller’s point production is pathetic. Yes he is playing well defensively but at the end of the day defense first wont win games in current NHL.

Same goes for Leblanc. 1 point. Yeah its early but hes here to score not take up a roster spot.

Come to think of it, Eller, Darche, Nokelainen, Leblanc, Gomez, Subban, Diaz, Gill, and more are all contributing next to nothing in points.

Look at the other teams 4th lines and tell me they dont have more than 5 points ALL YEAR!

Our 4th Line- Leblanc, Darche, Nok. 5 frickin points all year
          -what a joke!

way to many guys taking up roster spots.
          Nokelainen is garbage, his face-off perentage is actually a minus as a Hab. 1 garbage goal. WAIVERS

Darche-skates like like my Grandma-1 pathetic goal with all his power-play time-WAIVERS!

Are you going to bark all day little doggy?
          Or are you going to bite?

• Bripro says:

I beg to differ.
            I’ll give you, their collective point production is down, but that reflects their lack of ice time. That’s a coaching issue. We’ve had coaching issues all year.
            Eller has lit a match under AK.
            JM refuses to let Noke play more than 5-7 minutes/game, even though he throws the body around.
            Look at Emelin. Against the Canucks, JM was saying how effective he was. Then he ends up with the lowest ice time for a D against the Devils.
            Leblanc has been here for 6 games, so you can lay off him.
            Gill is not a point getter and Gomez has hardly played, although anemic when he does.
            The only one I agree with you on is Subban. He’s struggling, but he’ll find himself. And Darche is starting to show his age, but you can’t fault him for effort. He always tries, even though I think he’s nearing the end of his NHL career.

• Everlasting1 says:

Here’s Blues’ 4th line as per last night – Dagger, Arnott, Langenbrunner! It’s called depth.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Bripro says:

I won’t disagree on the Habs’ 4th line lack of depth.
            But he’s dumping on players who have no control on how they’re used.
            I still think JM is a defensive coach with little offensive coaching skills.

• habsfanforever7631 says:

Do you really expect Gill to score? Come on! seriously.
            As for Eller, just looke at how many goals his wingers have, AK? Moen?

• Habtastic says:

Just because Eller isn’t himself putting pucks into the net, doesn’t mean he’s anything less than a very pleasant surprise and a lock for a top 9 center in the years to come. Best hands on the team, big body, wins battles down low. Now that JM has him playing solid defensively, it’s not every rush he can cause something, but when he has the puck, something will happen, particularly with AK (remember the goal against LA?). Eller is awesome. Many people think so. Great trade!

————–
        The Drive for 25

• Everlasting1 says:

‘A lock for a top 9 center in years to come’?? What bible verse is this? lol Those Mtl goggles have got to go, gushing over this career 3rd liner at best. He’s no grinder either, but being made to play one.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Bripro says:

Eller is just a kid. You think he’ll never be better than a 3rd liner?
            Time will prove you wrong, I’m afraid.

• Chrisadiens says:

You realize he’s only 22 right? Potential is there, he shows flashes. 2nd line center isn’t out of the question. If Eller turns out to be a 3rd liner, the trade is a wash…..for a backup, injury prone, can only play 30 games goaltender.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Everlasting1 says:

This team ‘rebuilding’ sure strings along the suckers. What makes you think he has any future with this organization?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Chrisadiens says:

If you watched some Habs games you would see it too. For the record, I really hope Halak turns out to be awesome. He is a great character guy and he was a huge part of our playoff success 2 yrs ago.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Everlasting1 says:

How disingenuous.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• habsfanforever7631 says:

Don’t get it, we have a big center that has some potencial , and we’re complaining.

• habsfanforever7631 says:

Are you crazy? “What’s Eller doing?” Come on man!
        AGainst the Kanucks he played against the Suddins, against the Devils he played against there top line.
        Do you watch the games?

15. jayvanni says:

Here’s an interesting lineup idea given that everyone is healthy and that we are giving Gomez one last shot.

Cammy Pleks AK <–Chemistry
    Patches DD Cole <–Chemistry
    LL Gomez Gionta <–LL sparks the line as Max did last year?
    White Eller Moen <– Shutdown/Energy/Toughness

Nokia

Markov Subban <– 2 Puck movers 1 that plays physical
    Kaberle Emelin <– 2 puck movers 1 that plays physical
    Gill Gorges <– Shutdown Pair

Diaz/Campoli <– keep 8 D on the roster as Markov's health is a giant question mark even if he does return. Weber would probably be used as trade bait at this point.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I like LL with the G’s. Like the rationale too. Gomez scares the living $#!7 outta me though.

• Favorite Son says:

Cammalleri-Plek-AK have chemistry? Not sure what you’re talking about on that one…

• jayvanni says:

More chemistry than then Cammallerri-Plekanec-Gionta and they have played together in past seasons with reasonable amounts of success . The real problem I see with this group of forwards is trying to find lines that click while trying to keep Cammalleri, Desharnais & Gionta separate as you would think that they are all too small to complement each other well on the same line.

16. habsnyc says:

One week the problem is that the team has too few defensemen. The next week, the team is overcrowded with the greatest players ever to lace skates. It does not matter who sits because, only Markov is sufficiently talented to regularly affect the outcome of a game.

The contract dollars say that Kaberle, Gill, Markov, Subban and Gorges start if they are all healthy. Emelin is sixth because he is a prospect and Campoli is a rental. Given Montreal’s injury history, I imagine Campoli will get several games.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

17. doublerr says:

Watching Mich vs Mich St. Mac Bennet and Greg Pateryn are D partners and look good. Pateryn is big and hits, JM and PG probably wont like that

18. petefleet says:

A month ago I would have said sit Emelin and play Diaz. Now it’s the other way around. Emelin has found his game and it’s exactly what the Habs blue line needed. Diaz is a good young D man but is not progessing as well as expected. Weber isn’t either. Neither is the QB they were expected to be. Might happen inn the future but not with MTL. Both are having trouble with the speed of the game lately. Maybe cause he’d (Diaz) would be at over mid season back home, I’m guessing.
    Kaberle played well last game but Glen Healy on HNIC hit it right on the nose. He’s terrible without the puck. Hard to believe after all these years that he hasn’t figured it out. He won’t be -12 onthe Habs just because of the game they play is different from Carolina, but he shouyld never be on the ice in the last 2 min of any period or any game. And I wouldn’t have him on in OT either. That said, he is a good puck distributor and will help the PP even if he isn’t the one shooting.

******************************************
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

***Habs Forever***

19. Number31 says:

What happens with Campoli? He will probably get traded for a 2nd round pick. He was essentially just a bandaid player anyway… Tampa Bay could probably take him. Or the Ducks. Both are in need of D help.

Though Diaz has the flexibility of going to Hamilton. The others do not.

20. kempie says:

Gorges-Subban
    Kaberle-Emelin
    Gill-Campo
    Weber
    Diaz to Hamilton

Gorges-Subban
    Markov-Emelin
    Gill-Kaberle
    Campo & Weber in the pressbox.

That wasn’t too difficult.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

I don’t know Campoli well enough … does he have a first pass? If he is not known for that, then I’d go:

Gorges-Campoli
      Gill-Subban
      Kaberle-Emelin

Trying to make sure each pairing has a guy who can get the puck out fast and accurrately. I am impressed with how Emelin can which makes him and Kaberle a dangerous combination … until they get pinned in our end. : )

EDIT: realize this looks like I am claiming Gorges has a good breakout pass when it is only adequate.

21. piter says:

I think that it will be between Diaz or Emelin sitting when Campoli comes back, hopefully Diaz. Then, one of them will become trade bait, along with Weber. Thats if we make it into the playoffs….if we don’t, we’ll probably lose 1 of our “snipers” as well.

22. 4m3y2j says:

Kaberle-6 points in 4 games,may be turning it around ?
    His style far suits the habs over the broons.He likes playing in Canada,lets caution on the side of optimism.We are due a home sweep so next week is a good opportunity for that.
    Why are they now talking Markov’s return for end of january ?I thought it was to be 3-5 weeks from last Saturday ?
    The Cammallerii problem is confidence and frustration.He woill work it out but I do agree that if we could get him traded for someone bigger w/ the same skills now it may be time to pull the trigger.With Gionta I think the whole Gomez situation is messing him up psychologically,they did come to MTL. as a package deal remember…
    Cole is looking like the real deal,we need to get Eller linemates that can compliment him.I like kostytsyn w/ him and Leblanc,why must Martin mess w/ a good thing to get Cammi going ?
    PK is trying too hard,it will work itself out,can someone please teach the guy how to get his shot on net….

23. pierre lapuck says:

Package one of the Swiss misses (Weber wouod be my choice) with whatever it takes to get a centre taller than 6′ who can score a little and has an edge.

24. Markov return?

Who sits?

Markov does. It would not hurt him to sit the rest of the season out. I’m no surgeon, but it sounds like his knee is not up to the task of hockey at the level we all want.

If the team decides this season is a sellers market, then Markov sits out the season. Works hard to get back for 2012.

One thing is for certain with Markov. The winter Olympics are in Russia 2014. He’ll be ready then, right now, not so much (hehe, sorry had to get that slam in there).

Ref Kaberle. Who cares what his contract is. When the time comes to sign must needs (Price Subban). The appropriate forwards will be moved out. Cammi will be high on list as he has 7m in the each of his next two years. He’ll be gone at the deadline. Plus he’s the only one of the three that may I would be looking for in a Stanley Cup run.

Ref Price/Subban

They are RFA next season. After this season’s play (to date), their payday will not be as substantial as some see. Price has been good, but not lights out good every night (I consider myself the biggest Price fan out there…well maybe Jerry and Linda :) )so he will get a raise but not Pekka monies.

And Subban? Well compared to the last two seasons, he looks like a normal young defeseman. He’ll get a contract similar to Carey’s now.

Great replies lately, the place is back!

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

25. Habfan10912 says:

Any truth to the rumor that Reichi on his way to Boston to examine Chara. Sorry, couldn’t resist.

He is going there, but first has to finish his diagnosis of Crosby and Giroux. He is a head specialist afterall.

• Danno says:

Has the vet examined the big ape yet?

PS I’m sending Chara a lovely fruit basket – with plenty of bananas

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

26. ont fan says:

Trade Kaberle. sit Campoli, why. We haven’t seen them play with this team. Play Emelin, he ‘s coming on. Diaz and Weber have had a shot, now the the others should get some time.

27. anotherhab says:

I wonder why Stevie Y was at the game yesterday?
    Malone would be nice!

Here’s another question – does Price start all three games at home this week? They are all on alternate nights and he’s coming off 2 1/2 days rest.

What about the week after? Which game does Budaj start, Chicago or Winnipeg?

29. CF says:

Emelin has to play. Period. No questions. He is the only guy on our team that can hit, and maybe Cole. But the team wants Cole to skate, shoot, and score.
    Kaberle did change the game, the PP actually looked like a man advantage. He may just fit in here.
    I still believe the way to really make a splash and turn around the fortunes of this team is to go all in on July 1 for Shae W. Let Gill go, let Gorges go if you have to, let Campoli go, send Gomez to Hamilton to help the kids and play out his contract, make a trade if you have to, and then offer Weber a 10 year deal for 80 million.
    It would change the team completely.
    A future with Weber, Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Emelin, Diaz would look pretty fantastic.
    It`s how a championship team can be built.
    Problem is, PG is not the man to make the sales pitch, not the man to be aggressive enough to make it happen.
    Weber will be available, he`s not going to sign in Nashville. He`s at least going to see what he can get. Why wouldn`t he want to come to this organization if the right pitch was made?
    If we want to continue to fill in little pieces like Kaberle to finish 7th or 8th, and play the 1st or 2nd seed year in and year out…….well, keep following the PG plan, or what can be said as the status quo.
    The team needs to make a splash, put a name to the franchise, someone besides the goalie, take some pressure off Price, let Weber protect him for the next 10 years. Tinordi can develop under him, and Subban can form quite the duo of offense.
    Just saying, this is possible, stop the short term fixing. Go all in. It`s only 6 months away.

• anotherhab says:

I thought about the same thing Shea Weber would be awesome! Actually I believe him and Georges are friends — spend their summers in Kelowna, both BC boys along with Price!

• CF says:

Good point. I’d love to keep Gorges, he’s the kind of guy you win with. Maybe we can unload someone else.
        I just believe a guy like Weber comes along once every ten years or so. Boston grabbed Chara for this reason, and it turned around their franchise. We need Weber, it would simply completely change our team.

Brian Burke will trade Franson and Lombardi back to Nashville and get Weber. While I jest I have this scary thought that Toronto will get him and Franson will be part of the package…

• CF says:

That’s part of my point I guess, I wish I had some faith that our GM could out sell another, in PG’s case, I don’t believe it. He hasn’t shown any ability to pull anything off.
          If our owner has any interest in building a true winner, he will need to get involved in bringing Weber in. Maybe a private jet shows up in Nashville on July 1st, or wherever Weber is at that point. Bring Price and Gorges with him. Let PG come to I guess!
          Whatever it takes to make the winning bid.
          Blank cheque anyone?

• 24 Cups says:

Any trade for Nashville’s Weber is going to at least cost you one of MaxPac or Subban as part of a package. You then only have him for one year before you must re-sign him. That contract is going to be north of 8M, assuming he even wants to stay here.

30. WestHab says:

I’m for keeping the Boom. Besides what ever Diaz can do Weber can do in case a D falls during a game. Emelin gives the team a balance that has long since been missing. The the case of the Markov return that is just so far off by then we can reevaluate or more likely another d will be sidelined.

31. DearyLeary says:

Best option:

Trade Kaberle back to the Leafs when his value is high and let him rot in mediocrity with that contract in Toronto.

32. BoomBoom says:

As for T.Kabs contract…I would give the benefit of the doubt to PG and company to manage the salary cap. Besides with collective bargaining between the NHL and the players who knows what the salary cap will look like. For the rest of the year, this is a non-issue. The Habs will not lose Price or Subban because they picked up Kaberle.

I think the Habs should look at moving Cammy. He seems dis-interested and down right unhappy. Not sure what value he has (I know he has value but at the same time do not see many teams giving up much to acquire him).

C’est le but!

• Bill says:

Right, Price and Subban are RFA and are not going anywhere. Worst case scenario is a tough negotiation.

Actually there is plenty of cap room to sign everyone with enough left over for any free agent you want – as long as Gomez is cut loose, as I assume he will be.

Oh, also, the team has to decide if it wants Cammalleri or Kostitsyn. I think Kostitsyn is gone, personally, though I’d rather keep him.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• ABHabsfan says:

The best value for Cammy would be back to Calgary. They know him there and had success with Iginla and Iginla had success as well. Iggy hasn’t really been the same since Cammy left the Flames actually. I think the Habs could target Glencross or Rene Bourque and a 2nd in return, which I think would be a good deal for the Habs. I think Cal would go for it too though they may need to move more contracts to make the cap work. Habs would also have an extra $3m under the cap to work with if at trade deadline we end up as buyers

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree with the first paragraph 100%. I don’t think trading Cammi makes any sense. He’s in a funk, but he loves playing here. Does it have to do with the coach? Maybe. And maybe it’s just a slump. He’s hitting some posts and getting his chances, but not burying them. I’d say give him some more time.

Go Habs Go!!

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs prospects on a milestone march:

Brendan Gallagher needs 1 point for 250 career WHL points, and is 8G, 25 total points from setting the all time goals and points records for the Vancouver Giants.

Morgan Ellis needs 7 more points for 100 career QMJHL points.

Nathan Beaulieu needs 24 points for 150 career QMJHL points.

Michael Bournival is 28 points from 200 career Q points. If he can maintain the goal-scoring form he had early in the season, he can add 100 career goals to his profile.

Danny Kristo needs 16 points for 100 career NCAA points.

Since being sent back down to Hamilton, Aaron Palushaj has crossed the 100 career point mark in the AHL.

Not as notable, but longshot prospect Steve Quailer contiues his comeback season. 5G, 7A in a 7-game points streak, the longest streak any Habs prospect has managed this season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• CanadienBoy says:

What’s with Palushaj not able to score at NHL level

• SeriousFan09 says:

4th line isn’t a good spot for him and he doesn’t have a natural finishing ability goals-wise IMO. He has a wiry frame so it makes it difficult for him to handle the NHL since his skill level isn’t high enough to compensate for that. These are just my thoughts, some still reserve hope he steps up but from my view, he is not a 3rd-line player on a Contender, or perhaps even a team contending for the playoffs as MTL currently is.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• ABHabsfan says:

Any word on how our 3 jr prospects are doing at Canada camp? Or Tinordi at US camp? Really looking forward to being able to see so many of our up-and-comers on the world stage. Is Pribyl likely to play for Czech? Thanks SF09!

• SeriousFan09 says:

Camp begins today for Team Canada, Beaulieu is Team Red, Gallagher and Bournival are Team White and face off. Cuts are expected after today’s scrimmage, tomorrow’s and than after one final scrimmage against CIS All-Stars.

US Junior camp isn’t up yet, but Tinordi is a strong probable due to his shutdown style and leadership qualities, US will want to roll a shutdown pairing and Tinordi’s previous experience as captain of the US U18 team and current C on the Knights works for him.

Pribyl, I honestly don’t know about his chances. He may or may not participate but due to the Czech team lacking talent in the U20s, he may well make it on as an 18-year old.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• ABHabsfan says:

Thanks, I was under the impression that both Can and US camps were opening on Fri.
          Aside, my younger sister works at the Banff Springs Hotel and is in charge of the account for the Can Jr team for their teambuilding retreat before the tournament starts. The Can brass has saddled her with setting up all activities for the boys before their first game. I have let her know that if Canada does not play as a team and win the tournament, it’s kinda on her!She asked me for ideas but all I have is the blindly fall backwards while your teamate catches you, routine.

34. anotherhab says:

A lot of teams are looking for D which bodes well for us right now. I would play Campoli for a few games then trade him, or package him upand get some size and toughness. Doesn’t make sense to trade Weber or Diaz when Campoli salary at 1.75 totals Weber and Diaz’s!!

35. BoomBoom says:

Right now, Campoli sits in my humble opinion. It is a shame he got hurt but he now has to wait his turn…that being said, I would insert Campoli into the mix before Weber should a dman get hurt. I would however tweak the pairings a bit because I’d prefer seeing Emeilin on the left side his natural position:

Here are my pairings:
    PK Gill
    Gorges Kabs
    Diaz Emelin.
    7th dman: Campoli.

As for Markov, we’ll see if he is ready in Feb.

C’est le but!

36. The Cat says:

I know hes pretty useful on the PK sprawling out in front of Price and becoming a 2nd goaltender, but IMO Gill should sit and not Emelin or Diaz.

• Danno says:

But you have to admit, Gill is our biggest asset when fighting a 5 on 3.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Our biggest asset for fighting off 5 on 3’s should be keeping sticks on the ice when we’re killing a penalty. Seems more often than not (not scientifically proven) that the second penalty is a hook, trip or cross check.

37. rhino514 says:

I was just thinking, what if Kaberle is traded at the deadline for a pick, which they probably could do if they wanted to? The result of the whole process then would be:

1)Spacek´s contract was unloaded for the majority of the last year
    2) The team managed to acquire probably the only PP quarterback available to possibly save the season, while Markov was recovering, giving up no long term assets in the process
    3) They get a pick out of it

Doesn´t Gauthier come out looking like a genius? If they DON´T get rid of him, it will probably be because he is actually HELPING the team and earning his pay, but then it will be the team´s choice.

I´m so tired of so many posters blasting the GM of this team. Those arguments are as silly as those who blast the coach of the team because we should´t restrict ourselves to french canadian coaches and GMs.
    The Canadiens have a good GM. They have a good (albeit boring) coach. The Canadiens have a number of good prospects in the pipeline. they have had a competitive team for a while. They have made the playoffs almost every year for the past 6 or 7 years, save one year where they missed out by maybe one point. They currently have a team that always has a chance to win a few rounds come playoff time, because the team believes in itself and has good leadership. The Canadiens are a good organization. They lost their way for about a decade. But they are once again one of the best organisations in hockey. Point Finale.

• CanadienBoy says:

We still grossly lack any form of fore checking and ours hits leaders is a 25 years old Russian

• habsnyc says:

I am tired of people not blaming the GM. This organization seeks out the worst contracts in the sport. They are among the most poorly run teams that spend to the cap.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

38. Caper says:

There is one or two trades coming to tweak-should we be competing for a playoff spot.

Weber included with a pick for a decent 3rd but likely 4th liner is very likely.

Does Diaz become the Streit-Lite and swings to the wing?

If Markov comes back, Campoli could actually be trade bait.

If we are out of the playoffs.

Hal is likely gone as someone will overpay due to his PK skills. I would not rule out Cammy (not advocating) as his two years of playoff success and only two years left on his contract would make him very attractive. L.A. would be a good fit for him and we could get back some decent talent. They could easily absord his contract as well.

And while I think Josh Gorges should remain a Hab for life and believe this is where Mr. Burns really messed up, I believe there will be a bidding was for him should the Habs be out of the playoffs.

I personally believe the Habs could rebuild very quickly similar to the Flyers should we tank.

I think Emelin has to play in order to ensure that the Habs have some kind of a physical presence in the line-up. A scan of the rest of the D tells you why.

Diaz and Weber. MB refers to them as Swiss cheese which basically sums it up. Given a choice, I’d take Diaz over Weber (and Weber should not play RW). If Markov can ever play, Weber is probably gone.

Markov – When he eventually returns, his play is going to probably be very tentative. How can he not worry about taking a blindside hit?

Gill – When it comes to the physical side of the game, Gill is a 6’7″ man who plays like he is 5’10”.

Gorges – Lots of redeeming qualities but he still loses too many battles in front of the net and in the corners. Good but not great.

Subban – Solid in this regard. Runs around a bit but he’s only a 2nd year player.

Kaberle – One game doesn’t make a player. Kaberle is here strictly for the PP. In his own end he is probably the softest defenseman in the NHL. Never hits, is afraid to be hit, plays on the perimeter and checks with his stick. Should be restricted to 3rd pairing minutes and kept away from the PK. He’s a true candy-ass in my eyes.

Campoli – Who knows? A desperate move by the Habs for a guy who couldn’t get a contract. Career has been on the slide since he first broke in so it’s really hard to tell. Isn’t known as a hitter. Needs to be hidden in the line-up just like Weber and Kaberle.

After reading that I feel really good about our Defencemen. :)

• 24 Cups says:

LOL, Gerald. As you know, I was only looking at one aspect of our defensive corps in order to explain why I felt Emelin had to play ahead of Campoli, Weber and Diaz.

I kind of feel sorry for Diaz, he’s been half decent this year seeing it’s his first go round in the NHL.

• Ian Cobb says:

Steve –good assessment of the D. Dias and Emolin will stick on our roster. They have had a great opportunity to show and I think both have done very well. Emolin has had experience in Russia, and is ready to learn to play in this league. Dias is younger and needs time, but both are going to be around here a long time me thinks.!

40. DearyLeary says:

Diaz sits. I don’t get how he’s had so much ice time.

Price and Kaberle were the difference in earning 2 points, without giving up a point to a conference team. I believe that is only our 6th win in regulation time this year. I stand to be corrected on this!

Here is where we place in the 30 team league this week folks.!

Goals A–77. We stand 12th. Last week 12th with 69 against.

Total Points–31. 19th place. Last week 21st place with 27 points.

Goals F–74. We stand 18th. Last week 22nd place with 67 goals.

Lets just hope we can keep improving.

• Habfan10912 says:

Would be nice to get on a bit of a roll and I think its the power play that must carry us. Its so darn hard to score in this league and your post points that out. I am always amazed when I watch classic games from yesteryear and see how small goalie pads were back then and how big they are today. Players have nothing to shoot at. Thomas looks like a Sump wrestler in net.

• Ian Cobb says:

James– Your right, 5 on 5 with good team defense, it is tough to score. Without a first class PP and a good forecheck, no team is moving through this league.

42. gK_HabsFan says:

Who knows… maybe the Kaberle trade might work out for the Habs!

Let’s see, what do we know about Kaberle. He’s a fairly stable D, that can make a good first pass and allow quick transitions.

The Reason why he may have failed for the Bruins:
    – They are a team that relies more on dumping and chasing, and using their physicality to gain puck possession. I won’t say Kaberle is soft, but that’s obviously not his game.

The Reason why he may have failed for the Canes:
    – When they signed him, they probably thought they were getting a top 2 defenceman, a role he probably cannot play anymore.

Why I feel he might succeed with the Habs:
    – He fits into the “System”. Good first pass, which is key to a puck possession game.
    – He’s not going to be relied on to shut down the other teams first-lines.
    – He will likely play the 3-4 position on the D-Depth Chart, which bodes well for him at this stage in his career.
    – And can obviously man the point on the PP.

It excites me to see how the D-pairs will look when Markov gets healthy (hopefully with no more injuries). Just imagine having Markov QB the powerplay on the first wave, and then having Kaberle to QB the second wave.

Gill – Subban
    Kaberle – Gorges
    Markov – Emelin
    (Compoli)

Diaz to Hamilton
    Weber likely traded

-GK-

• Bill says:

I think you can chalk Kaberle’s Boston experience up to a struggle to adapt. Anyway, his troubles there are somewhat overstated: he led their team in points by a D-man in the playoffs, and they won the Cup. He was a UFA rental and Boston never meant to keep him.

Not even going to mention Carolina, where EVERYONE has sucked this year. He’s lucky to be out of that hell hole, and may I need that I’m sorry Kirk Muller’s first job is working for someone as unprofessional as Rutherford, whose comments about Kaberle were self-serving and hypocritical.

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM KABERLE: a scoring pace of 50-ish points, 40+ assists, many on the power-play. At even strength, he should be a wash, won’t hurt us but won’t put up a ton of points either. He will help the transition though. He’s not physical, but he’s not small, and has been durable.

If he helps the power-play and plays quality minutes, he’s worth the salary for another two years. I’ve looked at the cap charts for next year and year after and I don’t get the hysteria/depression over his contract at all.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

First post about the guy that has me thinking “maybe you’re right”. I hope so, I’m not a doom and gloom guy. This trade just struck me as to much of the same old same old, and I’m sick of it.

They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

I think Boston at the time of trade had intentions to keep based on how much they gave up, but the styles just didn’t mesh enough for the contract he wanted. He does acknowledge he came into camp at Carolina overweight and feels much better now. Agree with your post Bill.

43. novahab says:

So where are all the Kaberle bashers this morning. Have you put your ropes away for hanging PG. Maybe you have learned to wait and see how things work out before passing judgement. Kaberle helped our team beat the Devils a team this team just can’t beat. They did this in their building against the biggest thorn in the Canadiens side in their history Brodeur. I think we should all say thank you Thomas and welcome this guy home.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I’m still here. I said in the ALN thread that for this trade to be a win he needs to play the way he did yesterday 60-80 games a year for the trade to be a win. A single game does not a career make.

• Viruk42 says:

He has 6 assists in his last 3 games, +2 over them with 2 PP pts.

Personally, I started neutral and remain neutral. If he plays like the all-star he used to be, it’s a fantastic deal. If he plays like he did for Carolina, it’s horrible. Chances are it’ll be somewhere in between, but where?

• cdhc says:

I just don’t get these posts? How is Kaberle for Spacek not a win no matter how you slice it? We are better with Kaberle end of silly story. Forget about contract – of course his contract sucks – if you are a habs fan and want to win, why does the contract even enter the equation? They still have lots of money left – don’t fool yourselves – Gomez isn’t helping this team and he’ll be buried in Hamilton when they need the money to do what is best for a winning lineup.

• Omit says:

LLP

You set the bar pretty high when you consider who we traded away to acquire him. I don’t think Kaberle can be the 2nd star of the game for 60-80 games.

“Time wounds all heels”. – J.L.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

In response to all, I think the 3.5 or so that Spacek was earning would have been better split between Price, Gorges, Subban, Kostits. That is my real issue. The player is irrelevant.

They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

Given you are a fan of Tomas Kaberle and wish to welcome him, you may want to spell his name correct. Not trying to be snarky, just saying.

• LafleurFan says:

Thumbs up. Folks, Jaro didn’t get 1st rotation PP time for a reason. As part of the acquisitions of 2009, he was thought an adequate replacement for Streit and Souray on the PP point.

“May you live in interesting times.”

As others have suggested, I have also said that it may be time to include Gill in the rotation. Having said that, if this team makes the playoffs Gill becomes very important. It is my recollection that come playoff time players get away with more hooking, holding etc. and Gill provides very steady play along with leadership and calmness in our zone.

He also still is one of our only Dman that can enter our crease area after the whistle and prevent players from taking liberties with Price.

If this team falls out of playoff contention he will have value at trade deadline time.

• LafleurFan says:

Gill had a great game, his best this year. He was in the middle of much of the action, not invisible like many other games. Even got an extra 3 seconds of play from the broken stick and then he deposited it in a strategic spot in front of the crease!

“May you live in interesting times.”

45. novahab says:

Hall Gill has to be the guy sitting and that is not to be mean. Gill has played well for this team and has given more that his talent . Sadly this is pro hockey and winning matters expecially while they are fighting for a playoff spot. Gill lying on the ice killing a a pentalty is getting a little old. He taking himself ot of the play and can’t get back up fast enough to clear a puck. He so slow on 5 on 5 but his heart is large. When he was last hurt I though the team played a faster game and now JM the ball is in your court. Will be interesting to see if JM can make the tough call.

• mrhabby says:

hall gill sit..not on ur life. the guy is veteran and has a big presence on the blue line despite some flaws. coachs always go with the veterans. you sit campoli.

• V says:

Only way Gill sits is injury IMO. Sitting distinguished veterans is not how JM rolls.

• HabsfanoftheHabs says:

Gill has value, no matter what is flaws are. Have you not seen this guy lay down on the ice on our league leading(ish) powerplay? That alone keeps him in the lineup. Kaberle is there for the PP, Gill the PK

• HabsfanoftheHabs says:

Gill has value, no matter what is flaws are. Have you not seen this guy lay down on the ice on our league leading(ish) PK? That alone keeps him in the lineup. Kaberle is there for the PP, Gill the PK

46. Habfan10912 says:

Even JM isn’t dumb enough to sit Emelin, right? Dias sits.

47. habstrinifan says:

The “Kaberle loved Montreal” article is a nice feel-good read.

Zeisberger knew Kaberle pretty well, I really think the Montreal atmosphere will be good for Kaberle. Also nearing the end of his run in Toronto they were counting on Kaberle in many situations including defensive help. If he can be used in proper situations I think he can find a rebirth so to say. I am hopeful. He will make mistakes in our zone, that is reality, but his first passes, his rushing of the puck and powerplay help should make the tradeoff worthwhile.

48. RGM says:

They can go on a rotational basis with some of these guys, and if they feel the need to dress 7 D and have one do some time on the 4th line so be it. I’m sure that given the opportunity Martin would go with 8 or 9 if he could.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

I guess I am a glutton for punishment but I watched Coach’s Corner last night. Amazing how bad it was watching Ronny give play by play of the Ottawa game trying to get Don Cherry to react. While I am no fan of Alex Burrows it was also evident Ron was trying to paint him in a poor light, Cherry kind of called him on it.

But most amazing was just how poorly produced the segment was, Ron started by making excuses because the wpg. game period ended sooner and they had to scramble. No leafs for Cherry to cheer on and the segment was a scrambled mess.

• Habfan10912 says:

You are a brave man. Thankfully I have the Centre Ice package and was able to flip to another game. I can’t watch him anymore. Bad for the blood pressure.

• alestar says:

That whole segment has been redundant for years…I actually prefer watching the RDS feed now, even if the games are on in English.

The CBC has cemented its total lack of all things hockey when it let the “Hockey Night in Canada” theme song go. A total joke…

XXIV…and counting

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Canning Chris Cuthbert was what killed them for me. He’s top 5 dead or alive for me I think.

• SKHab says:

I always watch RDS for Habs games. The sad and embarassing part is that I don’t speak French or understand it. I just can’t listen to most of the English announcers comment on the games. Another plus is that I get to watch all of the games.

• V says:

I don’t watch HNIC – prefer the internet RDS feed with the sound down as don’t speak french. HNIC has really fallen off of the map IMO. Cherry is a bit of a charade and the others other than Friedman are grating.

CBC will milk every last ounce out of Cherry and then drop him. My guess is that it won’t be long. He had a good run and you can’t take that away from him… judging from some of the wild tirades on this site, it should not be hard to find a Canadian to replace him.

50. habs001 says:

Giving up goals has not been a great issue for this team the last 2 years and this year but the lack of scoring is a constant issue now for the 3rd year in a row..Right now the best chance for us to increase scoring is the pp and help from the d in assisting the forwards…so i would try to have camp in the lineup and see if he and kab can helo our scoring…..

51. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s honestly insane to sit Emelin unless he completely falls apart. He adds a bruising element to the blue line and is pacing for a season of over 200+ hits and they’re not exactly the kind that go unnoticed.

At the very least, he keeps the opposition thinking about what happens if they cross the blue line and he’s getting better at moving the puck lately.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

52. Chris says:

Ugh. Just ugh.

I love loaded questions…Emelin or Diaz? Diaz or Emelin?

How about the team’s worst 5-on-5 defender, Hal Gill? At just over 19 minutes, Hal Gill’s even strength ice time per goal against is the worst on the team. Normally, defensive defencemen are up around 25-30 minutes. Offensive defencemen, like Subban and Weber, are normally down around 20-23 minutes.

Gill is terrible 5-on-5. He has no speed, contributes absolutely nothing offensively, doesn’t hit, doesn’t clear the crease and generally plays like a guppy out of water except on the penalty kill, where he lies down on the ice and dares the opposition to shoot the puck into him.

I have no idea how Gill continues to get a free pass on this team despite being the team’s worst defenceman.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I really agree with you. I find it ridiculous that some don´t even consider Gill. On the other hand we all know JMs love for veteran players, so we expect him to play no matter what happens. Interestingly enough Gill´s even strength time in three of the last four games was only between 10-12 minutes…

• Chris says:

Gill’s ice time at even-strength always sailed high because he was partnered with guys who were being played a lot. People forget that he was seeing his ice time cut back last season as well until Markov and Gorges were hurt.

Gill might have another gear left this season, or he might not. One of the biggest red herrings in sports is the claim that guys are clutch performers because they always have been. At some point, age catches up with us all. Basketball players that used to be able to dunk with ease can’t reach the rim, hockey players lose a step or three and baseball players lose some timing on their swing.

Gill, at the moment, is a liability every time he sets foot on the ice 5 vs. 5 because he simply can’t keep up with the speed of NHL players. Positioning and a veteran understanding of the game has given Gill a couple more years in the NHL, but I think he’s pretty much done at this point.

• habstrinifan says:

Chris I agree with you. I wont go as far as your critical appraisal but I would say that GILL should be sat out in any rotation.

• DLHABSNUT65 says:

Chris, I agree with you! While I love Gill on the PK, after that it’s all downhill. My D pairings when and if Markov comes back:
      Markov – Emelin
      Kaberle – P.K.
      Gorges – Campoli
      Diaz = Mark Streit Lite 4th line & paired with Markov on the PP
      I’d love to see Emelin with Markov plus I believe he would offer Markov the most protection. Kaberle looked to have early chemistry on the PP with P.K. Also maybe P.K. doesn’t try to do too much because he isn’t on the first pairing. I’d also like to see Gorges with Campoli. Gill can be our #7 D-man and continue to do his mentoring behind the bench. I think he’d be an asset there!! Does this sound too far fetched??

• habs001 says:

i agree it is time to give him games off….i am not sure why the other teams just dont blast the puck at him when he is on the ice on the pk…a couple of booming shots would probably discourage gill from this strategy…

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I like Gill as a leader though, maybe a player/coach roll? Or would that be a slap in the face?

You seem pretty tapped into what is going on in the greater NHL world, is there a marginal contender who could use the leadership and still let him play?

• Chris says:

Not particularly tapped into what is going on, just what I read on the web. And I’ve been reading less this season than in recent years after a bit of burn-out on hockey and a rather hectic time in my own pursuits. I’ll leave it to other posters to assume the mantle of tapped into the league…I’m just a guy who watches one game out of three from his couch and screams at the television. ;)

Gill is good at killing penalties, but it is not clear to me that it is worth the deficiencies in the rest of his game. At 36 years old and having never had much in the way of skating to begin with, I think Gill is approaching the end of his career.

I’m not sure that his positioning was ever a strong point, and that seems to be one of the traits that goes with the better defensive coaches. That being said, Gill has had to work hard his whole career and has managed to top 1000 career games despite a skill-set that doesn’t scream NHL. So perhaps that work ethic and willingness to adapt (who didn’t think Gill was finished post-lockout with the crackdown on obstruction?) would serve him well as a coach.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Would you keep him to open the door on the D end of the bench, like a minor hockey assistant coach? Don’t get into the x’s and o’s, but keep the guys positive about what they’re doing? Maybe a little Ying vs. Martin’s percieved Yang (Muller’s roll as far as the average guy sees it).

• Habfan10912 says:

Chris, that would be “thinking out of the box.” I like it

• HabFanSince72 says:

Gill leads the team in short-handed time on ice.

We have just about the best PK in the league.

I think that’s why Gill will play, plus he’s a veteran in a rookie-laden defence.

53. habstrinifan says:

Back of my mind I cant help thinking, “why the heck did it have to be 2-1″ and so close to being an overtime and then a shootout scenario again. Why did it have to look so much like our pattern.

I hate being so uneasy about a win in which the team did have some great moments.

This is not trolling. Just afraid to really enjoy what in many ways was a nicely played game from the HABS.
    Some of our skill and speed and passing showed up in that game . And it showed what an exciting team we have. Maybe… just maybe!

Well done Kaberle!

54. Duke_Rauol says:

I think Diaz should sit, or goto the dogs to play big mins. Having said that i dont know much about Campoli, so i guess well have to wait and see.

Unrelated but i always thought Shutt’s number 22 was retired?

——————————————————————-
    We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

• Old Bald Bird says:

The other number that I find difficult to understand is Guy Lapointe, whom I always thought was the most exciting of the Big Three. Since his number, 5, is already retired, it’s not as thought they would be losing its use.

• HabFanSince72 says:

You have to do a lot more than what Shutt did to make it to the Habs pantheon. No knock on him.

55. WNYHabFan says:

Diaz would be my choice to sit, be traded or be sent down.

I don’t think the Canadiens are done with trades.

Emelin is one player on this team that actually hits and we need a Boom to Boom, and hopefully KA-BOOM will be a great pair. Emelin offers more, is stronger, and I feel has a better upside.

Bill mentioned wanting to see Weber back on point… are you kidding me. He has been terrible on the defensive end of his game.

“I MISS 1993″ -WNYHABFAN

• Bill says:

I said I wanted him on the 4th line – where his four minutes of ES ice-time shouldn’t hurt too bad – and on the point on the PP, for his shot. Weber + Kaberle + Cole/Max in front of the net and we have a power play again!

Full Breezer 4 Life

56. ThirtyThree says:

Better to think about who plays rather than who doesn’t: PK, Josh, Kaberle, Emelin, Gill, Campoli. Too bad for Diaz, but an injury puts him back. Don’t like playing the defense on the offense.

As for Markov, it’s best to forget about him.

57. --Habs-- says:

I would bet if this were possible, Gomez allowed to renegotiate a contract to 2 Mil a year he’d start producing. I’d bet his problem is he’s trying so hard to be a 7.5 million dollar player he can’t even be a 2 million dollar player. It would allow him to relax and not push his ability and he’d start producing. I’d bet he’s embarrassed! The league and union should allow for teams and players to renegotiate and save their careers rather than save their financial portfolio! Think of it! Gomez will go down in history as the most overpaid underachiever in NHL history!

Would you ever walk in your bosses office and say, you know what I just don’t have it this week, don’t bother paying me. I hear what you say, but it won’t ever happen. Gomez has zero confidence, a brief trip to Hamilton may be the right tonic for him, would anyone claim him?

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I tried to turn down a raise once. I worked for a struggling entity that was entangled in a massive bureaucratic web. We were supposed to be self sufficient, but were a long way off. It was a nationally mandated raise, I wouldn’t have gotten one in the private sector, but I couldn’t turn it down either. Ended up costing me money anyway, higher tax bracket, I took home $20 less a paycheck. FML, as they say, FML.

• Danno says:

Check out what KC Royals’ pitcher Gill Meche did:

“Once I started to realize I wasn’t earning my money, I felt bad,” Royals pitcher Gil Meche said.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Maybe JM makes his all time favourite 4th line. Weber and Campoli on each wing and Nokia center.

4 Men back in our zone at all times!

59. Bill says:

I wouldn’t sit either of those guys for Campoli unless Campoli is a clear upgrade. Don’t know anything about him. Journeyman D, injury insurance: let him sit, he’s used to it. I would like to see Weber back on the point though. Not like he makes the 4th line any softer.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I wouldn’t say Campoli is a journeyman. He had a great rookie season in 2005-2006 but has had a lot of injuries and never managed to get completely established.

He’s only 27. I think he has potential.

60. showey47 says:

I’m pretty sure diaz can go to hamilton without the chance of being claimed on waivers. So that should be the obvious 1st choice. You can’t help but think there could be another trade involving a dman in the not to distant future. But considering what we have gone through with as many as 4 regular defencemen out with injuries at one time PG might be a little tenative to do so unless the right deal comes along.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Would Weber and a 4th rounder get a 3rd round pick from somebody?

• showey47 says:

I wouldn’t make that move. As much as weber has struggled as of late,i think he is worth more then that. If i were looking to trade weber and a draft pick we should be able to get a useful roster player(preferably a forward) in return.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Maybe a grimey grinder, like that Jones fella in Edmonton?

• 24moreCups says:

I’d love to have Jones on our team, he kinda reminds of me of Ryan White but can score more.

61. Hab lover in leafnation says:

First off, ill say i liked the move PG made. Everyone out there will complain about salary like they did with the Cole signing but at the end of the day he fills a need for our squad and can still move the puck effectively. In fact, i would say he is currently our best puck mover from the back end, hands down.

Yesterdays game for me was one of those ones like the loss to calgary, pittsburgh (first one), and anaheim. Aside from the powerplay opportunities it seemed like we had little to no chances. I have no idea why this team, or the coach has them play a game that so heavily displays a dump and chase. Aside from time to time where DD isnt the first man in, that line can try that method. For when martin doesnt want to breakup line 1b, eller-kost-moen, they can do it . But honestly, why is a team with this type of speed and skill not emphasize quick puck movement from the back end with a puck possession strategy. Too many useless dumpins, sloppy passes. And not breaking out as a unit.

Alot of these items reflect coaching. Its so sad that are season will continue to be a win one, lose one or two, win one pattern. Get this outdated, obsolete, robot of a coach with no sense of adapting/being creative his ticket out oftown. If not mediocrity will ensue.

As for the D, lets not even assume Markov comes back. And for the love of God, end this whole , throw whichever D we callup to 4th line winger duties. Your telling me michael blunden wouldnt be more effective than this flawed JM logic. Even poor Louie. Why have a guy who will not be a career 4th liner have to develop with grinders/stooges with no offensive upside. JM is pulling another make shift pacioretty experiment, its unacceptable for a first round pick.

No doubt weber needs to be a scratch, his shit isnt even that great to be kept for PP. Sure he can coordinate a onetimer and its accurate. But always along the ice and no variation. Secondly ifeel diaz has regressed a little it since his first 5-10 games. Slowly more and more erratic clear out attempts, being soft. I actually prefer stdenis.
    Gorges-campoli
    Kaberle-emelin
    Gill-subban

W markov

Markov-emelin
    Gill-subban
    Kaberle-gorges

Im a huge subban fan, but im honestly starting to get tired of making lexcuses for him although simple communcation and coaching would go along way. This whole, stopping and waiting when going back in his own end to almost like post-up an oncoming forechecker is rediculous. Get to the puck as quick as possible and get moving! Wow how isnt that logic. And the whole cock-back every time he gets the puck in the o-zone is rediculous as well. Quick decision making needs to be passed on to him. Trying to more quickly get his shot off, it takes way too long. And also, what happened to him rushing the puck and usig his speed, an asset that brought him into this league. Now it seems to be a slower skate out of from his own end, slowing down and then telegraphing a pass.

Drives me nuts the talen and young core we have on this team andthe lack of effectiveness. Believe it or not we can call this team healthy. We cant use markov as an excuse because we havent steadily had him in the lineup for two years.

For now ill back off from commenting on cammalleri, who once was my favourite player on the team, and to a lesser degree pleks and gionta.

62. Danno says:

Chara hurt his knee last night.

I must send him a lovely fruit basket.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

63. Mr_MacDougall says:

Wow, Habs are stacked on the Back end (Markov *hopefully, PK, Emelin, Kaberle, Georges, Tinordi, Beaulieu) and Price in goal. Some great pieces up front (assuming AK is signed… AK, Pleks, Cole should be 3 solid top six guys, while Eller, Pac and “plug” make a nice third)

In my opinion, what stands in the way of this team competing with the leagues elite, is the 18.5 million dollar top line. Gomez, Gionta, and Cammi are major let downs collectively (although Cammi had amazing clutch performances in the Post season).

Just out of curiosity, what specific player(s) would you guys like to see brought in via trade or in a couple years when the $18.5mill is off the books? *To create a Top Line!

• Viruk42 says:

easy one: Zach Parise. His contract runs out at the end of the year, rumour has it Jersey might struggle to re-sign him. He’s got a French-Canadian father and he’s a fantastic player. Only problem is he doesn’t fit the “big forward” mold that we’re constantly looking for, but if we no longer had 1 or more of Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri, he’d be a good fit.

• Chris says:

Unfortunately, I’ve also seen it mentioned that Parise isn’t particularly enamoured with the idea of playing in a hockey-mad market like the Canadian teams boast.

64. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Diaz I guess. I like Emelin’s hits, I think he’ll be a pretty good stand up guy if he keeps getting the chance. Old record, but let him play and learn from his mistakes.

65. Top Corner says:

Campoli….ahhh, thats right we have Campoli….sweet deal !!

Top o the morning to yahs all….did Charabacca get hurt last night?

Interesting night in the NHL East last night. Chara hurt his knee and Giroux took a knee to his head from his own teammate last night and had to leave the game. Add Pronger and Crosby to injured list, and now could be a key time to have some Eastern leading teams possibly struggle.

Re-posting this link to a story from Toronto Sun by Mike Zeisberger, this guy knew Kaberle pretty well and has an interesting tidbit about Kaberle and his love for playing in Montreal.

67. mtl1990 says:

What’s going on with webber?
    le_CH_1909

Question: Have we seen enough of Weber in order to judge whether he is here for the long haul or not? Further, has he had a fair chance to show himself as a Dman, or has the back and forth dman/winger experiment hampered us from seeing what his true potential is.

The reason to ask, he can’t go to Hamilton without hitting waivers, I am assuming someone would grab him. Does he provide trade bait, or should the person being used as trade bait be Campoli/Diaz?

Knowing our luck with injuries, this discussion may not be here long as that may prevent any need to entertain trading these Dmen in the near future.

69. habsfan reduxit says:

… seems like a no-brainer to me, Select the best D we can live without, and deal him for a sniper of merit. (I know; easier said than done.)

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

Ha ha, nice headline “Argument Starter” as opposed to discussion starter or water cooler talk.

While my preference is a rotational pressbox seat between Diaz, Gill and Campoli (let’s see what he adds before he gets a regular spot in the top 6). I am fearful we see a rotation between Diaz and Emelin.

Edit:Assuming Weber is a forward now.

71. 365fan says:

There will always be a defenceman or two hurt, so things will look after themselves. The most likely candidate to go to Hamilton, if need be, would be Diaz. He doesn’t have to go through waivers and wouldn’t suffer from a stint in the minors. That would be better than sitting in the press box. Weber could be trade bait. Overall though, we always have to be wary of 3 or 4 D getting hurt at the same time, which can happen. The experience that Diaz and Emelin are getting now will serve them well. Don’t forget about St.Denis, either. He reminds me of Boullion or Lyle Odelein in that he figures out how to play above his depth chart ranking to the point that before you know it he has a one way contract and is an NHL regular.

72. Bob_Sacamano says:

Hopefully Diaz sits but as Jacques Martin doesn´t seem to mind playing the softest D in this league, I am not so sure. I personally also think Gill shouldn´t play every game. The PK was also perfect when he was out in november and 3 against 5 aside he´s just not very good.

It´s time for Tottenham to drop some points.

73. G-Man says:

Diaz sits. Emelin gives the Habs a physical presence without compromising on intelligent play. Diaz plays well, but with no physical upside.
    Trade Diaz and Weber and keep St.Denis on the farm.
    -edit- Couldn’t have picked a pic of Emelin destroying Krecji?

• Bob_Sacamano says:

You would trade both, Diaz and Weber? With Gill hopefully playing his last season, Gorges and Campoli UFAs, a big question mark(ov) and Kaberle… that wouldn´t be really smart I think. We certainly don´t need both but one of them should stay. Who? I don´t know to be honest.

74. TheAmerican says:

Diaz sits.

75. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I’d really like to see him stick, eh? Had the lap top put away and I opened it again because it hit me that maybe Emelin is O’Byrne 2.0. Hits, can skate, good with the puck, fewer brain cramps (that I see anyway).

76. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Diaz would be a better move for the future than Campoli too, eh? Campoli came in here late when Markov wasn’t coming back, as a plug-and-play, sort of disposable contract too, didn’t he? No harm in letting him earn his 1.5 eating La Fleur’s in the press box.
    They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

You feel he deserves more than that as well eh?

78. Bob_Sacamano says:

Which slump? He isn´t in a slump. He´s done, at least when it comes to playing on the top two or three lines. If he scores a goal, nothing will chance. Alright, he might get another in the next 20-30 games but not more than that.

He still can do a job on the fourth line though, maybe at one point with Moen/Nokelainen and White I hope.

79. Viruk42 says:

I completely agree, and I wondered about something. I’ve heard mention from guys like Arpon Basu that there might be a cap-free buyout period during CBA negotiations. Obviously that would be the perfect time to remove Gomez’s salary.

But what if they talked to him, said his cap hit was hurting the team and that they were going to buy out his contract. Then they were going to offer him a new one, at much reduced value. He still gets the 7mil for each year, which the team can afford, along with whatever extra. It just means that the cap hit is lower, so the fans will ride him less. Indeed, I think if he resigned for, say, 1.5mil the fans would love him.

I don’t know if the NHL/NHLPA would okay this, but I don’t see why not. I know they (cap) penalised the Sens for buying out Alfredsson’s option year in order to negotiate an early extension, which suggests renegotiating a contract is fine as long as the player gets the money he was contracted for.

80. Mike D says:

I don’t disagree with everything you said, but one thing really stuck out to me in particular. Cammy, Gio, AND a 1st for Shane Doan?!?!?! Are you fkn kidding me?!?!?!

Not even sure where to start, but I’ll try this:

1) Phoenix has NO extra money to spend so they’re not going to take on 11mil worth of salary for 2.5 more years with NTC’s.

2) If you’re point is the Habs need to do some rebuilding, how does giving up a 1st round pick for an aged player make any sense?

3) Phoenix loses that trade from the salary side of things hands down, and we DRASTICALLY lose that trade, hands down, from the hockey side of things.

Is Doan a relative of yours or something?

– Honestly yours

81. Un Canadien errant says:

I understand that you like Doan, so do I, but the trade you cooked up and threw against the wall to see if it would stick, didn’t. Go back to the kitchen and try to figure out something that makes sense.

Don’t trade away draft picks or prospects for veterans though. You started with the premise that we’re not winning the Cup this year, and I agree with you, so we should hold on to our youth, and trade away our worthy veterans (Hal Gill, Andrei Kostitsyn, Josh Gorges, Travis Moen) to contenders who will find them valuable and pay a handsome price. If we can unload Tomas Kaberle at the deadline we should do so. Mike Cammalleri and Brian Gionta have no-trade clauses, so they’ll be hard to move, although I think some contenders might find them very attractive and make a compelling offer.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

82. Un Canadien errant says:

I agree. My wish for next summer is that he hooks up with Martin St-Louis and does a lot of the conditioning work that he does. Martin is fanatical about strength and speed and power training, David can learn from him and improve every year. With his dedication and willpower, I can see him getting more explosive and turning the doubters into believers.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?