Sunday a day of rest for Habs

The Canadiens were given the day off Sunday after losing 1-0 to the New York Rangers Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens will practise at 11 a.m. Monday in Brossard as they prepare to face the Minnesota Wild Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690). After that, the Canadiens will play Friday night in Washington before facing the Pittsburgh Penguins Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

The Wild has a 9-1-1 record in its last 11 games, including a 4-3 win over the Canadiens on Nov. 1 in St. Paul. The game will be a homecoming for the Wild’s Torrey Mitchell, the pride of Greenfield Park. The Wild has two other Quebecers on its roster, forward Jason Pominville of Repentigny and defenceman Marco Scandella of Montreal, who is the nephew of former Canadien Sergio Momesso.

Saturday’s loss dropped the Canadiens to fifth place in the Atlantic Division after the Columbus Blue Jackets surprised Ottawa on Sunday afternoon, beating the Senators 4-1. The Canadiens are clinging to one of the two playoff wild-card berths in the Eastern Conference.

The Canadiens rank 21st in the NHL in goals scored with an average of 2.43. They have a 4-5-2 record in their last 11 games, during which they ahve scored only 18 goals, an average of 1.63 per game.  The Canadiens matched a season-low Saturday with 22 shots on goal against the Rangers.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Another listless offensive effort, by Pat Hickey

Desharnais weighed down by big contract, by Jack Todd

Memorable night for Rangers goalie, by Dave Stubbs

Habs vs. Rangers photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Rangers look to ride momentum after beating Habs, NHL.com

Price, Budaj go head-to-head in Foosball (video), Canadiens.com

1. Strummer says:

In a case of “What goes around comes around” Rangers were shut out 1-0 last night by the Kings.

Also of note- Jordan Nolan’s dad Ted was supposed to accompany the Kings as they they traveled with their dads- but something came up last week

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

2. scotland says:

and then there are the posters who enjoy posting negatively about the other posters.

3. Max_a_million says:

4-5-1 with only 18 goals. That’s actually pretty remarkable. Imagine if we were scoring goals what our record might be. I’m actually quite pleased with a .500 record on no goals. Secondary scoring is greatly needed. Let’s hope Patch gets on a streak here.

I don’t understand demoting briere when he led to scoring while desharnais has not. Patches with Pleks and Bournival. Briere with Bourque and Gionta. Sprinkle in some Prust if he is up to it. Leave the EGG line alone.

4. Thomas Le Fan says:

I wonder how many posters here, think that they are influencing decision making at any level. The complainers as well as the complainers about the complaining actually seem to think so. Most of us just comment on the agony and the ecstasy of being a Habs fan these days. I do a little of both, mostly for my own amusement.
    Then there’s those that are constantly posting imaginary line makeups, some with players that aren’t actually Habs. I’ve never understood the need to do that but then Therrien may check in for that kind of advice, non?
    Then there are those who think attacking Rob Ford or Stephen Harper is germane to a Habs site. Don’t get that either but it’s sort of like Bush Derangement Syndrome, you know back when the POTUS was stupid and incompetent and not like the bundle of total awesomeness whose running the show now.
    I just want the Habs to win and need to vent every now and then when, on a nightly basis, a bunch of millionaires accomplish about what I could do. Rien.

Go Habs!

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

• mrhabby says:

MB and his team would never be influenced by a web site devoted to HABS fanatics.

• Eddie says:

If you go to other sites, like Eotp for example, the blog writers are ripping Murray for being the worst player in the NHL, Therrien for not using his players properly, and Bergevin for signing Desharnais, Bouillon, Briere, and Murray, in an effort to help this team.

Here, if you question Therrien or you criticize Bergevin, you are some kind of monster, a serial killer, a loser fan who does not appreciate the fine taste of losing.

It’s injuries, or the refs, or the league, or the media, or the fans, causing the Habs to play poor, uninspired, boring hockey.

If you say its the players, the coach, or the GM, you are wearing tin foil on your head and you don’t deserve to follow this Storied franchise.

• Luke says:

It’s not criticizing MT or MB or DD or whoever that’s the “issue”.

A complaint/critique/comment like:
        “I think MT mis-manages his bench. I’d like to see Bournival get some time with Eller and Galchenyuk.”
        or
        “DD is not helping the team. If he doesn’t score, he doesn’t do enough other things to help the team win and I think at this point White is more useful.”
        are more than welcome. In fact, It could lead to some interesting conversation.

Unfortunately those are getting drowned out by the

“DD is awful.. I Can;tr beleiev how dumb MT is is. He’s an idiot. and the team hates him. this is thjeowrst team in a hindred year of hockey that i have watcgehd. evry 1 is to small and soft and needs to be traeded/”

And when someone disagrees with ^ this guy the typical reaction is “what I cant post what i want? its a free world” so yah.

In your comment about serial killers/loser fans etc etc… its from both sides. I don’t like Parros & goonery so I get called a pussy and a panty waste from the MOAR BIGGAR side…

• Max_a_million says:

Generally not at all. Though when the full muster of the masses pushes hard it is noticed, and action happens. Not simply the HIO masses, but the whole of fandom.
      I think they listen more than some might think to the radio programs and such. Though much less than most would think.
      Without being reactionary, I think Geoff Molson wants the pulse of fandom.

• Cal says:

:lol: Your 2nd paragraph starts by criticizing those who dare to critique your political heroes then you laugh at those who disagree with your politics.
      People are discussing Ford because he is in the news, creating lower expectations for mayoral behavior every day.

5. Luke says:

So John Scott got jobbed by theleague on Saturday, eh?

Look, Y’all know I’m not a fan of his and would prefer to see him NOT on the ice, but if they are going to let him (and the Orr/Mclaren/Parros) continue to have a role, than you have to be fair.

How he wound up tossed from that game on that play is beyond ridiculous. If it was an attempt to ‘keep things under control’ perhaps the three Leafs who tried to attack him after he attempted a clean & legal hit on Phanuef should have been tossed.

Truthfully, It was Phaneuf who cause all that drama. But Scott, and not a single Leaf, gets the game. Not the guy who started the mess, and not the guy who leaps onto Scott’s back (3rd man is an auto ejection isn’t it?).

Would love to hear that justified.

Personall I think Phaneuf should have gotten a tripping penalty (or match for attacking Scott’s knees), 2 for the crosscheck to McCormick, 2 for instigating + the fight.

But yah, kick out Scott because he’s the problem.

I would put PK on the 1st line with Plekanic and Bornival.
    Keep the DaneGGer line in tacked.

PK would play on the point on the power play!

I saw him only once play forward in the OHL, he owned the puck scored two goals and had two assists, in a 4,to 3 win.

7. Mattyleg says:

Goooooood Monday Morning, all!

Lovely day here in Montreal, grey and warm, and I walked under a tree at McGill whose falling fruit smell exactly like barf. It was especially delightful when one of those little apricot-like parcels of bile-y joy landed on my shoulder! Too-ra-loo-ra-lay!

Came on here for some smiles and warm feelings, and see a poster saying Therrien has a ‘stupid mind’. That warms the cockles, don’t it?

Ahh, HI/O, never change.

Actually, no, change. Can the OUTRAGE. Just discuss.

Have a great day!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

I’d like to have a reverse day.

If your routine is to post that “DD sux and MT is an idiot for playing him”, you actually have to reverse your opinion and consider why he does get played. What purpose it serves. (“none! duuuhhhhh!”)

I’d have to defend Parros.

I’ll let the others go first though…

Anyways, Matty enjoy your vomit-fruits.

8. DipsyDoodler says:

Two things most people here seem to agree on:

#1. The fans and media make it especially difficult to play in Montreal.

#2. Mayor Coderre’s tweet was inappropriate and is in fact an example of #1.

But it is you, commentariat, who are the main culprits. I don’t mean the 200 or so of you who came to the meet and seem to be fans (in the sense of supporters), or the others who actually discuss hockey.

I’m talking about the handful who contribute about 75% of the posts on here and do nothing other than crap on the team, day in day out, win or lose. Ad nauseam.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep.

And every now and then someone posts something positive, and the silent majority chimes in in support. Those are good times.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DipsyDoodler says:

I wouldn’t mind negativity if it was funny or at least imaginative.

But this: “Therrien is such a dummy, he played player X with player Y., If it was me I’d play player X with player A and bench player Y.” is … less than entertaining.

• Habfan17 says:

If you take out all the posted opinions, then you don’t have a fan blog site. It would be far more boring and less entertaining if everyone just posted like innocent children and even less entertaining. I for one do not want to read endless posts like
          ” The Habs are trying so hard! Cudos.” “Therrien is doing a great job!”
          Weren’t those line combinations great! Isn’t it amazing Diaz was on the ice more than Subban, great job Therrien” Kind of defeats the purpose.

I would rather fans call out what they perceive as shortcomings, even if some are on the ridiculous side.

Habfan17

I think point #1 has really come to hurt the team. It is going to take an extraordinary talented bunch to win a Cup in Montreal. As great as the party would be if we ever win Cup again, the road to getting there becomes more difficult than in virtually every other NHL market.

Too bad, I don’t expect the fans and media to become blind sheep in support, but support is the key word, which often seems missing.

• DipsyDoodler says:

On the other hand the same is true in most cities and sports where the fanbase actually follows the team. I’m sure being a pro football or baseball player in NY, Philly, LA etc … is equally difficult. The difference is in hockey there are a lot of teams with no fans. No fans means no criticism.

• Habfan17 says:

I would also say that the Flyers, Detroit and Chicago probably have the same pressure issues as the Habs players. I am sure there are other markets too. Pro sports is pressure to win and as pros they need to learn to deal with it. The players faced it through junior, world championships etc. They also have sports psychologists now that help them. I will agree that there are some unique issues surrounding the Habs, real or not, like having to have a bilingual coach. I am half French and a Habs fan and I just want the coach that has the best chance of bringing the Habs a cup!

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

I think it is important to differentiate between posting an opinion that Therrien is miss-managing the bench being just that, an opinion, no positive or negative per say! Saying the Habs, players, or management suck and should all be fired is negative and does not offer support. I am with you there. I could do without those posts.

I have no problem and actually enjoy reading fans opinions on what is going on with the Habs.

It is true, there could be more positive posts about the players that are doing well to go along with the posts about those that aren’t. I am guilty of that.

Having said that, my comment is that I think Subban is doing well, and should be given more ice time and be aloud to grow with positive reinforcement from the coaches on the bench. I think that would go a long way to helping him make less mistakes and growing as a player. I love the way Price and Budaj are playing. My opinion is Therrien needs to stop shuffling the lines a la Martin and let the guys play together a few games and have a chance to gain some chemistry. I do happen to agree that DD needs to sit with the team being healthy.

Habfan17

• Ozmodiar says:

The HiO commentariat making it especially difficult to play in Montreal? :lol:

It’s just fans being fans. Criticism follows poor play. Nothing new there. I’m sure the players can handle it. They’re big boys. It seems to really bother some HiO posters, though.

9. scotland says:

no kidding steeltown. could not agree more. bournival playing fourth line when he has been one of the best habs of late. white scratched and dd on go to lone. lol

if the coach aint lost, he is doing a pretty good impression of being so.

i have to be patient. i have a vision of the habs being a contender in a few years. the faces that are not in the vision are therrien, gallant, gionta, moen, dd, brierre, gorges, boulion, murray, diaz, plekanic……………thats 11 men …..mb is not going to replace 11 man overnight.

10. adamkennelly says:

there are 12 forwards dressed for every game.

if we have

Gallagher, Gio, DD and Briere all playing – 1/3 of our forwards are tiny – not undersized but TINY.

Gallagher doesn’t play tiny but he’s not knocking any big d-men off the puck.

when the hell are we going to learn?

they go get Murray and Parros and then don’t play them.

they sit White for DD and play Moen?

something seriously wrong.

• Mattyleg says:

Um, we have the same players we had at the beginning of the season.

Bergevin can’t magically trade all of our players for bigger, better players. Those bigger, better players are the #1 target for all NHL managers, and to think that MB can just go and ‘get’ some is ingenuous at best.

Look at what we have, and have fun suggesting what we can do with our current players. That’s what’s fun about sports. We finished #2 in the East last season with pretty much the same team, don’t waste your time lamenting what you don’t have; focus on making what you do have better!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• adamkennelly says:

well you could play some of the players you acquired.

EGG
        Pleky Bournival Pax
        Gio Bourque and Briere
        White Parros Prust

PK, Markov, Gorges, Murray, Emelin, Diaz

• Mattyleg says:

True, those lines look pretty good on paper, but Parros needs a hell of a lot more conditioning before he comes back.

All you’re suggesting is sitting DD, Moen, and Bouillon.

That may happen, but the coach needs to see who works with who first.
          And the DD experiment isn’t over yet.
          But I’d like to see Whitey in, for sure.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

11. Ozmodiar says:

DD and Briere are easily the softest 3rd/4th line center tandem in the NHL.

My question to the HiO stat guys… are they also the least productive tandem, points wise, at their positions?

If so, that’s a pretty bad combination – soft and unproductive.

12. IngersollHabsFan says:

You know, I really do not understand the “glass half empty” overall feel of this forum as it pertains to team results versus the actual talent the team has at this point in time.

1) We are not even a 500 team without the hitting in the lineup after the Emelin injury going back to last April.

2) In the offseason, we add two players who are big and slow and one player small and past his prime. So one couldn’t expect better things based on signings–unless having size to deal with thugs like Orr and McClaren make you sleep better at night.

3) We see a major drop off in scoring from 2 players that were on our top line the past 2 years in Desharnais and Pacioretty. This might be the single biggest reason why we do not have 5 or 6 more points after 20 games.

4) Kid line has been great….goaltending sound and we have our intended defensive pairings in place with 2 or 3 up and comers down in Hamilton.

I for one (Considering the schedule the team had) am thinking they are doing OK– “GIVEN THEIR TALENT LEVEL”. Many of you thought we were a bubble team coming into the season…well that’s exactly where they are at with a strong %’age of western games behind us (as compared to total games played).

Having more wins than requlation losses at this point has us in the mix. They have to address goal scoring…I think the defence and goaltending will continue to keep each game competitive. Address goal scoring…I believe they are a playoff team. Don’t address it and it will be an agonizing trip to a 9th-11th place conference finish.

“The sports page records people’s accomplishments, the front page usually records nothing, but man’s failures.” Earl Warren

• knob says:

I highley doubt that anybody here thought that this team was going to contend for the cup.

I think, my best guess anyway, is that most people are busy defending MT/MB decisions or attacking them.

For example, this team would certainly be doing better if MB and MT would make better personnal decisions.

• kalevine says:

I understand that this is probably a 500 team, but I really get disturbed by what I perceive as a lack of heart and effort by most of the vets. I only saw the last 2 mins of the Rangers game but where was the desperation? None, they had conceded a one goal game. That speaks volumes

13. RAM_TOUGH says:

mksnes

“by the way montreal’s defence is making price look good too”

I’d say it is the other way around!

Guts-Glory-Ram

14. Steeltown Hab says:

How Therrien actually thinks in his stupid mind that we can afford to put Bournival on the 4th line kills me. Like we have 9 forwards let alone 6 who are playing better hockey than him, ya right.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Steeltown Hab says:

To add. Desharnais and Briere in the lineup at the same time…that’s never going to benefit Montreal.
      ———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• DipsyDoodler says:

Did that feel good?

• knob says:

Why do you mock him? He is quite right and justified in making that comment. Justified because I feel the same way about it.

Briere should centre the third line, White should centre the fourth line and Desharnais should sit. The only way Desharnais should draw into the line-up is when/if Briere or White get injured.

• Habfan17 says:

That makes absolute sense now that the team is pretty much back o full health. Bournival should also be on the 2nd line with Pleks and Gionta. Patches and Bourque should be the 3rd line with Briere at centre. You could say that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines are all really second lines.
            Habfan17

• Saintpatrick33 says:

He’s right DD should be sat out and Bournival should be on the top 6 again.

• Ton says:

I like his approach of breaking in young players slowly……..I have seen what the opposite can do……Laurie Boshman, Wickenhieser, Habs and leafs have been guilty of this trying to find the next franchise saviour!

• knob says:

There is an exception to the rule though: if the player plays well enough to earn top six minutes and when played in that role, he plays well, then he deserves to get that ice time. Bournival, when on the second line, has brought that line to life.

15. Sportfan says:

If anyone who helps with running HIO this can you please disable the stupid highlight video box, its lagging the heck out of my laptop and its really annoying when the video resets everytime a comment is made.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Said the same thing. : ) You can block it with Adblock, as someone here pointed out, but I kind of feel like we shouldn’t have to. Autoplaying video is just bad netiquette.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

16. SmartDog says:

I just figured out what Therrien is doing.

He’s doing a really good job of praising the other teams (I mean, they kicked our butts so they MUST be really good right?), while crapping on Subban especially and the Habs generally.
    So obviously he’s setting himself up for a broacast job at TSN.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Dust says:

uhhh i watch tsn a lot and i live in the GTA and i can say without a doubt that the toronto media has lots of praise for Subban. In fact you often hear them question the use of Subban in Montreal and the way he is treated by the franchise. So if he is looking for a job at TSN he is doing a horrible job

• SmartDog says:

So he’s doing a horrible job on all fronts.

Actually what you say makes sense. It seems everyone but Therrien has praise for Subban.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Ton says:

lol ridiculous ……………

17. Steeltown Hab says:

All the sympathy for Desharnais at this point is a little ridiculous.

The guy scores one shootout attempt and all the sudden gets the confidence of the coach as the go-to-line….lol, I’m not even going to read Jack Todd’s article…he doesn’t even have a big contract by NHL standards just in relation to his play as a fringe NHLer.

I really just wonder if Bergevin is going back to the drawing board at all. Like does he realize…hey what i’ve done is actually not working and we’re declining fast…its not injuries it’s the players and the coaching.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Dust says:

I agree i don’t feel sorry for DD. In fact the preferential treatment he seems to be getting by the organization makes me not like him.

I do feel a little sorry for Briere though. The guy was starting to pick it up scoring two points in two games then he gets thrown down to the 4th line while the golden boy moves up to the 2nd line. It obviously isn’t a french thing. Some kind of a man crush by MT on DD… I dunno

• RAM_TOUGH says:

I feel sorry for Carey Price. He was out of this world again Sat night! He glove saves were unreal.

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I agree with Dust 100%. I don’t feel sorry for him what so ever. He’s getting number 1 line minutes without contributing much to the team. Eller and Pleks should be getting those minutes. It’s the Gomez situation all over again. Play a mediocre player to death praying he gets a point to somehow justify his contract.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I only feel bad for Desharnais when even if he does play well, as was the case on Saturday when he was probably one of our top 3 forwards playing that night, he still gets shit on by the HIO mob.

I know many feel that because they’re fans they can be as angry as they want and say whatever they want, but there is no doubt in my mind that the constant stream of “nag”-ativity from the fans has a very real negative impact on the play of the team.

You want a winning team? Then be a winning fan.

18. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

A feww posters were asking how is it possible that Coach Therrien gave the boys a day off on Sunday.

The short answer is the new CBA

According to Section 16.5 on page 101, all teams are required to give the players 4 days off every calendar month.

An interesting read regarding young centermen in the NHL and the challenges to play this position.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Seguin being in his fourth year helps him a lot. I think that is about the time that it takes most to adjust properly, with a few exceptions. In a way Chucky’s experiment was not thought out well — putting him at centre against the league’s best team. Still I like the EGG line for now.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind seeing Chucky play on the wing for 2 or 3 years. I think I’m in the minority there.

When Tallon was scouting the Bulldogs last week I was hoping the Habs could land Drew Shore from the Panthers. Such a move would delay Chucky’s move to C until after Pleks was gone (instead of Chucky taking over after Briere’s departure).

20. Maksimir says:

I’d like to see them brring Holland and LeBlanc back up and rotate them in on the 3rd line…

Anyone notice Detroit has very quietly lost 6 in a row?

Yah, but unfortunately they managed to lose 5 of those with the OT point, makes it much harder to catch teams in the standings when we lose in Regulation while others lose in OT.

After our loss to the Rangers last night, we are slipping badly now in the standings with the other 29 teams in the league.! The only good stat is our Goals Against, which is a team stat, not just a goal tending stat.

Total points–22. We are 17th place. Last week 19 for 15th place.

Goals for—–52. We are 22nd place. Last week 48 for 18th place.

Goal against-45. We are 6th place. Last week 40 for 8th place.

Goal diff——+7. We are 13th place. Last week +8 for 12th place.

They sure do not look like a play off or even a wild card team this year!
    If Therrien cannot right this ship before the end of Dec., Bergevin will be a big time seller of old bones before the trade dead line.

22. Landof10000lakesHab says:

Someone posted earlier how the Habs tending and Dgame have not allowed a blow-out yet this season. We play two hot teams this week (MN & Wash), plus a possible hornets nest game against Pitts. Any of these three games could result in such as one gets the feeling the Habs may start taking more chances in the O-zone in an attempt to score goals.

I smell something brewing as early as today… just a call-up from the Dog pound or a trade coming? Habs could use a scoring winger, but teams with players who are currently scoring are not likely to give one up. Best bet may be a player who is currently under-performing in a system or who has been past by another player. We know that MB is building for the future, so not likely that aging players with +3 years left on a contract coming our way. Habs do have Dmen a’plenty in the system, so we have something other teams may be seeking.

Put your thinking caps on and help MB out. Being mindful of cap hit, NMC’s, and contract term, what move might you make at this point in MB’s shoes, or would you stand pat? If you turn out to be correct – bragging rights and an HIO arm-chair GM gig is in the offing..

23. Eddie says:

What I would do:

1) let Subban create more offence 5 on 5, play him with Gorges for defensive support

2) move Galchenyuk to center so that our most talented offensive player is playing at his best position, and where he can create more 5 on 5 offence

Focus on our most talented players, Subban and Galchenyuk, and focus on more 5 on 5 offence.

• Cal says:

Makes too much sense, Eddie, so it probably won’t happen.
      Subban with Gorges, Markov with Emelin, Murray with Diaz.
      Give The Cube spot duty.
      Pleks, Eller, Chucky and White at center. Mix and match the rest of them, with an eye to keeping players that go to the net.

• Luke says:

Putting PK with Gorges means every dump in and line rush is going to go down Gorges side of the ice.
      You can effectively game plan around PK and remove him, to some extent, from the play.
      Gorges gets to be either pounded in the corner or the primary puck handler at the start of the play. While PK is on the other side of the ice (or in front of the net) waiting for the puck. Unless he gets impatient and cheats to help Gorges.

The same happens with Markov… without PK there, the opposition plays the puck to the partner and limits Markov’s role.

The PK/Markov combo, #1) is awesome & #2) lets them both play 25 minutes a game where the opposition has to bring the play to one of the strongest defenders on the team on almost every other shift.

24. Ton says:

What if this site was a pay site> 40$ per year! Would we get the habs suck……MT out……..MB sucks………..were doomed posts! By the way>

Yakupov is the not the type of player we need…..we got many of those

• Cal says:

I’d be willing to have The Gazette make a digital subscription to the newspaper (boy is that term becoming archaic fast) a prerequisite to being a “commenting enabled” member.
      If The Gazette goes down, so does the site.

So Rob Ford shows up at the Argo’s game at halftime and the Toronto team doesn’t score all 2nd half. Kind of funny.

26. haballmylife says:

To all the haters of David Deharnais. I get that he’s not producing but how about the rest of the team especially the veterans. Gionta, Pleckanecs, and let’s not overlook Pacioretty whose got enough skill and size to be an awesome top 20 forward in the NHL but doesn’t have enough
    Effort the wipe his own ass. Deharnais is definitely the less productive but not from lack of effort like some of the other guys

• mksness says:

unfortunately nhl players don’t get paid 3.5m a year only for effort. the results have to be there and for every shift DD has tried hard, he’s have another 1 or 2 where he’s looked way out of place. he needs to work on his strength and conditioning. i mention this because i notice him being knocked off the puck with a s little as a push. i notice this less with guys like gionta and pleks who are both smaller type players.

• Cal says:

The term “haters” renders your point moot.
      Besides, DD hasn’t done SFA for about 60 games now. How large a sample size do you want?

So Ben Scrivens is the best goalie in the entire NHL, best save %, best g.a.a., most shutouts.

I doubt that the quality of L.A.’s defence makes him look this good, he always looked like the best goalie in the NHL even when in T.O.

• mksness says:

maybe they have a good goalie coach too

Perhaps they do, but to me shows how good of team defense they play, when a career backup borderline AHL goalie can show up and have the league’s best stats, albeit in limited action.

• mksness says:

well, he’s also only played 8 games. the majority against the bottom teams to give quick a rest. So it’s a small sample size. he’ll be in tough against some of the better talent in the west.

by the way montreal’s defence is making price look good too by the way. you have to acknowledge the team’s commitment to to blocking shots and properly angling shooters to the outside and taking away the pass allowing price to focus on the shot.

• Habitforming says:

Yeah his 6.5 shots per period average is something to behold.

28. JF says:

It seems we’re a .500 hockey team, which is roughly what I expected when the season began. Things may get a bit better when our recently injured players return to form, but not much, and this despite the consistently outstanding performances of both our goaltenders.

Nor is defence the problem, despite all the complaints about its softness and lack of size. We have yet to be blown out this season, something that has happened to just about every other team. We have given up four goals only four times – in the season opener to Toronto, against Edmonton and Minnesota, and against Colorado (one of those being an empty-netter). We have lost by more than one goal only twice.

The problem is scoring, particularly even-strength scoring and particularly in the past two or three weeks. We started out OK, but scoring began to dry up with the rash of injuries that struck the team. I think every team goes through periodic scoring droughts (look at the Leafs’ last few games, for example), but this one seems to be more than a temporary drought.

Aside from the perennial problems of poor execution and a reluctance to go to the net, what I’ve noticed in recent games, especially against the Rangers on Saturday night and against the Lightning earlier in the week, is an inability to move the puck cleanly out of our zone and through the neutral zone. Instead of two or three crisp passes so that we enter the offensive zone with speed, the puck is cleared, iced, or just pushed ahead, with the result that the other team quickly regains possession. We seem to have stopped trying to be a puck possession team and reverted to being a dump-and-chase team. What I saw on Saturday night looked more like JM hockey than the kind of hockey the Habs played last year. Clear our zone, dump the puck in, go off for a change. No puck support, almost nothing in the way of a transition game, no organized attack, very few scoring chances.

We have to get back to doing what we did so well for most of last season – speed, short passes, good puck support. This is the only way we’ll have success. If we continue to play dump-and-chase hockey, we’ll be on the losing end of a lot of close games. I think it was Matty who suggested yesterday that this apparent change in the way the team plays is the result of the recent injuries; the coaching staff have been stressing defence at the expense of offence. Whether or not this is the case, the main result of the change has been to keep the games close.

• Cal says:

Habs get trapped in their zone for long periods, forcing a line change the moment they get possession.
      No one on the team besides Gally goes to the net. Patches and Bourque have been very guilty of perimeter play.
      Price, meanwhile, is having a career year, despite Gorges and Diaz’s inability to clear the front of the net.
      MT’s choice of players to ice has been, to say the least, baffling.
      Brière centering the 4th line? That’s Homer Simpsonesque.
      Bournival giving Pleks and Gionta a spark? Let’s replace him with Perimeter Patches.
      Painful to watch, but the Habs simply are not a good team. Bring up the kids and trade the dead wood for whichever picks they garner.

• mksness says:

also once the d has the puck, you might just have to skate with it for a few seconds and not just flip it out of the zone. they might be doing a god job in their D zone with hits and positional play but what they do with the puck once they have it is horrible… not every play is bank off the glass/boards and out.

• Phil C says:

Good post JF. The break out is a big problem. The stretch pass might have worked when everyone was trapping, but it doesn’t work against forechecking teams because the defense does not have time to execute, so it’s either icing or a turn over. It was especially bad against San Jose who were also pinching a defensemen on the forward against the stretch pass, so even on the few occasions when the defensemen got the pass through, the San Jose defensemen would break it up immediately in the neutral zone. What really bothered me in that game was the Habs did nothing to adjust, they just stuck to their gameplan even though their opponent had obviously done their homework and had a plan to stop them.

Gionta said as much after the Tampa game that they are not attacking as a 5 man unit, which is essentially what you are saying. If the captain knows it, why aren’t they doing it? I wonder if there is a disconnect between the players and the coaching staff developing.

29. JM says:

WOW! what a power house we have. This team is averaging 3-Goals per player after 21 Games. 1/4 of the season gone …

30. Mr. Biter says:

Yes the Habs are playing soooooo bad. Sitting in 7th place 3 points out of a tie for 2nd. Need start tanking ASAP. Coach and GM suck , players suck, no one down on the farm, the end of the world is coming. Get a grip people. Now $15.00 beer does suck, unless someone is buying them for you.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• Kooch7800 says:

I think the issue is the team has 2 wins in the last 10 games and is back to being a one line scoring team.

We are not a cup contender which I would hope people knew before the start of the season. This team does have some serious dead weight that they need to shed.

The rest of this year and in the off season it will be interesting to see what MB is really made of. He flubbed the DD and Briere contracts and will have some big cap dollars spent on PK, Eller etc in the off season.

I hope he makes some smart decisions in the off season and at the trade deadline to get us some picks!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan17 says:

Agreed, I too believe that most of us knew the team as not a true contender.

For me, it is the fact that the veteran leaders of the Habs have not stepped up, in fact they look almost disinterested. They should be feeding on the energy the kid line gives them.

I also take exception that PK gets called out by MT and sits for the last few minutes of periods during close games and does not get PK time. MK says you earn your time. How is it that Gionta twice made brain dead passes from behind the Rangers Net, straight down the middle of the ice to no one and he did not miss a shift. The Habs had possession in the Rangers end. This killed any chance on two occasions to possibly tie the game.

In the end, speaking for myself, I expected more compete from the team than they are giving, not a cup contender yet.

I share your views, there is some real dead weight and MB has the chance to reshape the team now, I hope he is up to the challenge!

Habfan17

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Add Moen to the list of flubs. He’s been a washout again this year.

31. VancouverHab says:

“ooommmmm”

The beauty of this is that every loss that the Habs suffer is one step closer to Therrien being fired. Assuming that Bergevin learns from his rookie error (albeit a horrendous error) and hires an proper NHL coach, these pathetic performances–and the lunatic misuse of P.K.–will have a glorious outcome.

Or, if Bergevin is really so far gone in francophne-ness that he keeps the flabby ineptitude that is Michel Therrien, then we get a high draft pick at the end of the certain failure that this season will then be.

And THEN Therrien will finally be canned.

WIN WIN WIN!!!

• CH Marshall says:

Well… If only we could get more high draft picks. But I think we all know that THE BOSS would like to see the team in the playoffs for some nice cool solid revenue. MB has a 5 year contract or something? I would say the expectation is to make the 1st round each year.. I hope the way the team is playing the last fistful of games is of concern to MB

Pulp Fiction is a timeless classic.

Good night.

33. Castor says:

Everything that bugged me is coming to pass. Briere stinks. Therrien has all of his players hating him. Parros was a bad signing.
    Moen was a bad contract. DD was a bad contract…

grrrr….

I really think, as usually happens with him, the players hate Therrien.

• Mr. Biter says:

Who are all the players? PK and the other 21 or PK alone because he’s still a spoilt child? Some Vets (or Captain Gionta) should sit him down and tell him, the Norris was last year, play like you can. Besides scoring on the PP (which he is doing a great job of), some one posted earlier today his lack of hitting and his play in the defensive zone has been terrible. If he’s attempting to cause a disruption in the dressing room with a me or MT attitude then MB has a very tough call to make. Does PK run the team or does MB thru the coach MT?
      Posters keep makeing these trades of DD, oe Pleks or Diaz as if other GM’s are idiots and will send us their best players for them. Dream on. If MT’s lost the room he should go, however if PK’s the problem, and as good as he is we would get an equally talented player for him or MB would be the goat (pardon the pun).
      Moen was a bad contract but at the time it was signed DD was a good contract, but you never know with any player how they play next year. Cole is a great example.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• Saintpatrick33 says:

This post is so chock full of BS i don’t know where to start. MT has sucked the life out of PK and he hasn’t gone for those big hits because he’s afraid of making a mistake. If he does make a mistake MT comes down hard on him while playing DD some 20 odd mins a game for doing nada. Again BS. He’s a Norris winning defenseman that does not play proper key minutes ie. last nights game. He should have been on the ice in the last 2 mins. Once again BS. PK is not the problem here.

I seem to remember the mentality that the coach is bigger than the player once before…let me think now…oh yes Patrick fing Roy where did that get us?

34. PeterD says:

One trade I would consider is Gionta and Markov to Edmonton for Yakupov and Klefbom (d-prospect).
    Would move 2 aging but productive assests in final year of UFA contracts for a young under utilized scorer and a d-prospect.

• SlovakHab says:

Why on Earth would Edmonton accept such trade?
      No chance.

• PeterD says:

They need to improve their defensive game and they need veteran leadership…Gionta and Markov would do that for them and they give up some under utilized youth.

• SlovakHab says:

Would you trade Galchenyuk and Tinordi for two aging veterans approaching UFA status?

They may as well sign that sort of players in July. I can see absolutely no chance any team would do a trade like that.

• mksness says:

i agree with you but you also think that la, boston didn’t tank at all. they might not have finished dead last but as i stated in prevous posts they finished low enough to build a good asset pool via the draft and they had 2 huge homeruns in the draft, brown, simmonds, quick. these players didn’t stay but allowed for them to make big trades that brought in a cup.

• VancouverHab says:

Edmonton’s GM of course having gone completely insane….

• Habfan17 says:

Throw in Gorges and LeBlanc and maybe Edm. listens. At this point, Yakupov may be a bad fit with his attitude, and he hasn’t exactly been playing like a first over all pick. Having said that, it is doubtful Edm. Would throw in the towel on him yet.

Klefbom is a lefty, the Habs are already over stocked with left handed defence, Tinordi, Beaulieu, and Emelin. Where would Klefbom slot in?

Habfan17

35. scotland says:

this team would be losing with scotty bowman coaching. with therrien not only will they lose , they will lose badly….and he will bring about longevity in the losing department. he’ll ware out the vets, stunt the youth, pi$$ off the fans,….. this started last march and wont stop till he is gone.

36. PeterD says:

So the Habs are a healthy bunch now. Finally.
    From this point forward there can be no excuses by management for not putting a good effort out every game.
    I give MB the next 10 games to determine if he is fully satisfied with this years roster.
    If over the next 10 games this collection of players do not start consistently winning more than they lose then there will have to be some big moves made…not a tinker with one player here and there. ..but a big “hockey” trade…players for players. A deal or deals intended to improve all teams involved.
    The outcome on our end will need to be reduced cap hit or equal, but must include us getting a natural goal scorer.
    Problem is to get a natural scorer we may have to give up someone we don’t want to lose. ..say a Subban or a Price.
    I don’t want to see either of those guys involved in trades.
    But unless this team rises to heights of performance we haven’t see for a while, either a big trade will be required or they bite the bullet and move Gionta, Markov and others for prospects and draft picks and we formally head into the rebuild.
    The status quo is simply not good enough and things need to change fast.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Its been status quo for 20 years now they don’t have the guts to tank and rebuild properly.

• chemic says:

they aware of the fact that fans around the world would commit mas suicide. it mighty get i even worse, imagine the hate towards the players and the coaches after 82 bad games with no effort. with all that negativity surrounding the earth, even hitler would rise up from his unknown grave…

short answer, i guess we cant handle a proper rebuilled…

• Habfan17 says:

Unless MB determines that MT is the problem! I think given the training camp invitees and subsequent free agent signings, along with the draft MB knows he needs to upgrade the size and compete level of the team. Fournier, Crisp, McCarron. Yes he did draft some smaller skill players, but they do need them too. I don’t consider
      5’11″ small. There are plenty of players who have done extremely well at that size, Alfredson, Datsyuk, Kane Zetterberg, Sakic, etc.

They do need a better balance. Gionta is up at the end of the season as is Boullion. LeBlanc seems to be coming around, Pateryn should be ready ad then Dietz, Nygren Beaulieu, and Tinordi are on the horizon and will add size, and grit without giving up skill. Then there is Thrower, Didier, who based on reports is reminding me of Ludwig, and Ellis.

Habfan17

37. NLhabsfan says:

If we lose the next one.A trade is possible.Fall out of playoff spot..there should be a lot of worried management.

• The Jackal says:

Why should they be worried?
      This team is not expected to contend for a cup. It does not NEED to make the playoffs.
      The goal at the moment is to develop our young talent so they can carry the torch and become the tip of the spear. Sure, you bolster that with veterans and key role players, but at the moment, we are not that team – we are not a contender and what management is most concerned about is not making the playoffs but making sure that our young guys are making good progress so that they can form a competitive team at a low cap hits and then bolster that with key veterans. What we have now is a transition team with a few stop-gap players and signings.

Just enjoy the ride, for what we are, we put up a good fight each game.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• CH Marshall says:

My hunch is that Mr Molson would like to see at least one or two rounds of playoffs for cash money. If I were management, I’d be nervous…

• VancouverHab says:

So we demote our young talent to Hamilton, get two aged useless (and mean NHL-worst useless) but huge players to take their ice time. Then we reduce our best francophone prospect (Bournival) to stupid single-digit minutes while playing the aging and totally useless Desharnais in big minutes and in key situations. Meanwhile we fail to use our best young player–and our best non-goalie young player period–in important game-saving situations while the geriatric BOUILLION!!!! gets POWERPLAY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and game-closing minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I’ve said, dear Jackal, your optimism is creditable, but you live in cloud-cuckoo-land. If you want to be taken seriously, you have to live in the real world.

Life is real; life is earnest” (Longfellow)

38. kalevine says:

even during the disastrous 2011-2012 campaign I watched most games. That team had at least one line that could score. This team is lucky to get 2 goals in a game and that’s been going on for quite a while. They either get plenty of opportunities and can’t bury them, or they are firing from the perimeter and getting almost no rebounds. Shooting is atrocious and passing is even worse. As a result I’m watching less. People talk about excitement but if a team isn’t putting the puck in the net it doesn’t amount to much. VERY disappointed

39. Pris says:

Hi all, not sure I’m allowed to do this… but I have 2 tickets for Tuesday’s game against the Wild. Unfortunately, I can’t go anymore so if anyone is interested, I’ll sell them at cost. The tickets are greys, section 324, hard copy tickets. Total cost is $140. If anyone is interested, you can email me at habsaddict@yahoo.ca

Thanks! :)

40. Say Ash says:

Did anybody score tonight?

The biggest WGaF story tonight… Sask winning against Stampeders.

42. The Jackal says:

WTF is MT doing. Is he off smoking crack with Rob Ford while the Habs’ proverbial Rome burns? What a joke!
    And don’t get me started on that Bergevin character, signing veterans to decent contracts while the kids get ample time to develop – what is he thinking? Didn’t he learn that rushing players is the way to go, as evidenced by the Habs’ previous success with that? What use is there in giving kids time to develop when we are clearly not contenders? Is he even aware that we are clearly not contenders yet? FFS! FIRE HIS ASS!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

43. durocher says:

The Habs rested Saturday night, might as well give them today off as well.

The Habs are competitive, but not a contender. A competitive team is “in” each game, and gives its fans the impression that it can win when it hits the ice. It can make the playoffs. A competitive team is mediocre. A competitive team generally plays to the level of the opposition.

A contender presumably will win each game. It can win the Cup. A contender directs the play on the ice. A contender generally plays the same level no matter who the other team is.

We are a competitive team, not a contender. We should trade some vets to get more pieces to be a contender.

• Mattyleg says:

I think what you’re saying has to be tempered by the fact that at the beginning of the season, we gave that impression.

Once we stacked up more man-games in injury than any other team in the NHL, it was looking progressively less likely that we would win every game we stepped onto the ice to play.

We’re trying to get our feet back under us, and once we do, we’ll give that impression again. We played extremely well last season, and there’s no reason why we can’t do that again.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• The Dude says:

Lol …the Washington Generals are “A competitive team” and I think they beat the Globe Trotters twice.
      So here’s the truth of this matter…. Les Canadiens de Montreal are a broken franchise who have been turned into a practice team and a novelty act for the last 20 years! I applaud her fans whom have stuck by her during this farce and I also blame them for the demise of this once great powerhouse for they have supported this ruse with blind faith and with out much argument= STUPID FANS! If you want things to change for the better then first you must change yourself and insist for better…RAISE THE TEMPERATURE , because it’s the second guessing and bullspit EGO with so called experts that KILLED THE HABS and this will put a stop to that. Then the Molson bro’s have to go out and kiss Scott Bowman,Larry Robinson, Patrick Roy ,Kenny Dryden and Jacque Lemaire’s respective arses and ask for help. And ‘NO MORE CHICKENSPIT ATHLETE’S FOR CHRIST SAKE’S!”

44. Mark C says:

Hey, Erik Cole scored! There’s hope for DD.

Lost in all the negativity regarding MB is how he brilliantly cut bait on Cole. Getting Ryder and a 3rd in hindsight was a serious steal. Guess part of shine is gone with signing Danny, but that trade was great.

45. frontenac1 says:

So Mayor Ford is treated like a Rock Star after the Argo game by the fans? I guess Crack in TO is ok after all.

• Mattyleg says:

Problem is that the entire city is egging him on now.
      I’m sure they just cheered him in the hopes he’d say/do something stupid like moon the RCMP honour guard.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

…WHERE ??? is Normand (UCe) when Y’all need Him ?

…I finally have time on My hands, the Kids doing Their homework, and I have F’ all to do except kill time time reading a UCe essay on the state of My Habs !

…WHAT ???’s He doin’ ??? …likely at a bar in Whistler hustling poon-tang instead of caring about His ‘brothers’ :(

….WHICH if I had a little more time on My hands, I’d likely be doin’ Myself :)

47. montreal ace says:

This team only played 48 games last year and 21 so far this year. I can understand complaints about players, as some have been with us for awhile, but team management has not. I think that overall they have been fine, with results that have exceeded the team we ice most nights. I myself think many teams might have crumbled, with the amount of injuries we have had so far. I think it might be wise to see how this team plays, when the best players from our roster for a few games. Regarding MT and his coaching abilities, he has integrated lots of young guys, into our lineup with good results. I am very happy Emelin is back, that was a large hole to fill.

48. Phil C says:

The Habs couldn’t score last night, but let’s review the facts:

- New York didn’t play the night before while the Habs did and had to travel home from Columbus.
    - The Habs’ top goal scorer was obviously playing sick, slowing down the entire 1st line.
    - The Habs’ 2nd line had the team’s second highest ES goal scorer (Bournival) replaced by Prust, who scores at a rate of 1 goal every 10 games over the span of his career.
    - The third line, centred by Desharnais, was given 1st line minutes (18) even though he has only scored once in the last 36 games. More than twice as many minutes as Briere who scored the night before.
    - The 4th line, who were the only ones to come close to scoring despite playing together for the first time, only played 8 minutes the entire game.

No scoring was not that surprising in hindsight.

49. Mattyleg says:

I would just like to say that I am OUTRAGED.

It doesn’t matter why, I just don’t want to be left out of the OUTRAGE club, where issues concerning the Montreal Canadiens can only be discussed in varying increments of OUTRAGE.

Players, management, concessions, ticket-prices, pundits, ushering staff, in-house music selection, ice-surfacers, media, cameramen, commercials… all targets of OUTRAGED people such as myself, who cannot control their extreme OUTRAGE.

(I’m also FED UP too. So, please don’t cancel my membership for the COMPLETELY FED UP club. It is my belief that I can be members of both)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. C-Sword says:

The Rangers sucks, they had multiple power plays tonight and hardly generate any kind of offense. I’m guessing that the Kings’s big bodies and defensive style were too much for them. Losing 1-0 must suck.

51. HabFab says:

Monday – Team Russia vs Team QMJHL 7:00 pm – Watch on Sportsnet East/Ontario/Pacific

Fucale, Hudon and Gregoire playing for Team QMJHL.
    Hudon is co-captain.

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…GSP retiring from MMA

…said to be planning taking intensive course of figure and power skating after his recuperation from Big Rig’s knuckles in Bora Bora Polynesia

…Bergevin on a long-distance call ?

…Our new ‘policeman’ ?

…or, desperate conversation on a Sunday night ?

• Bill says:

I’m such a huge GSP fan. He is one of the greatest fighters and athletes of all time.

Wish his last victory had been a convincing one, but I didn’t have a problem with the decision.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…the fact he found a way to come away with a victory from Hendricks, who has an incredible mix of brute power in his fists and wrestling technique, says to Me that GSP has nothing more to prove

…I hope Georges retires but finds in acting niche or something in entertainment not as destructive to his health

…surprised he is more popular in the States and around the world than he is in Canada

• Bill says:

I’m surprised he isn’t a bigger deal in Canada as well. The country hasn’t produced a ton of athletes who dominated a sport (other than hockey) like him. He hasn’t had anything to prove for a while now. Hope he writes more books!

Full Breezer 4 Life

Long range forecast for Regina is 0 degrees for Grey Cup Sunday, what a party it will be in Saskatchewan all week.

To all Hab fans in SK, enjoy your week!

54. SteverenO says:

Its getting ridiculous!

For those who don’t pay attention the HABS most productive Powerplay producer is NOT Subban , or Markov, it is Plekanec.

Friday vs Columbus; out of a total of 6 minutes and 35 seconds of PP time.Plekanec plays exactly 27 seconds.

Saturday vs the rangers: the first PP Plekanec plays only the last 13 seconds. Subban and Markov are already on the bench.

The second Powerplay, started at 17:04 -Plekanec plays the “second” wave and gets on the ice at 18:01 exactly the time that Markov goes off the ice. 15 seconds later at 18:16 Subban goes off, leaving Plekanec on the PP with Diaz and Bouillon.

One of the primary reasons that the Habs have been so successful on the PP is that when Plekanec and Gionta are on WITH Subban and Markov we score a powerplay goal more than once every 5 minutes.

Bournival has played 10:22 of PP time , mostly, with Plekanec and Gionta and they have scored 3 PP goals in that time.
    Therrien is going out of his way to come up with different PP combinations, and seemingly will put ANYONE BUT Plekanec , with Gionta and Bournival on the ice with Subban and Markov.

Yesterdays game was decided by special teams. The Rangers went 1 -3 on the PP and the Habs were 0 for 2.

Even though we won on Saturday, the PP went 1 for 4 and even though the one goal was enough to get us to overtime, the PP ice time management was inexplicable, and unacceptable.

If Therrien continues to leave Plekanec and Gionta OFF the first wave of the PP, we will start to see the PP production decline. On a team that is not scoring a lot of even strength goals, this will be disastrous.

The worst part of it is that it is so easily corrected. The coaching staff have only to DO THEIR HOMEWORK! They are paid to make decisions and, the special teams ice time management is one of the decisions that have a significant impact on the teams success.

Furthermore, I support and defend the decision NOT to have SUbban killing penalties, when we are playing 4 on 5.

When we are down two men, playing 3 vs 5 , it is assinine to keep Subban off the ice.

WIth only 3 defenders you would want to have your best skaters on the ice. the players that have the best chance to get to the puck and clear it down the ice. if anyone thinks that Moen can be more effective 3 on 5 than Subban, they should immediately have their coaching license revoked and never be allowed behind a bench again for the rest of their lives.

I, for one, am tired of seeing the team coached by incompetent individuals regardless of what language they speak.

regards,

Steve O.

• SmartDog says:

Therrien is fiddling while Rome burns.

He’s trying so hard to get DD going that he’s messing up anything that WAS working to do it. It’s ridiculous. The only positive is that it will be his end.

Second verse, same as the first. Once again, Habs have a coach who is blinded by his own f-d up biases. If things don’t improve in the next few weeks, I’d be okay to see Molson clean house. I believe we have a strong core of youth and I don’t want to see them f-d with anymore.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

55. Sportfan says:

Sasky vs Ti Cats I’ll watch that one!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

56. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Goalie playing well, PP in the top-five, Habs can’t score and Habs battling for the last playoff spot…what else is new? Making the playoffs last year was the worse thing for a team that is three years away. MB now has to at least match last year’s success which can influence difficult decisions like trading upcoming UFAs. Hopefully he makes the right decisions for the long term success of the team.

57. ProHabs says:

MaxPac took a very stupid penalty yesterday to put the team down 2 men (which ended up costing us the game). The penalty was in the Rangers zone and Brad Richards ended up scoring as the 1st penalty just ended and the player wasn’t back in the play yet.

MaxPac never missed a shift. He actually ended up with plenty of ice time.

I really wonder what would have happened if it was PK who took the bad penalty. Would PK have been benched? Called out in the post game podium talk by MT.

I wonder if we will see Therrien addressing MaxPac in the next 24CH.

58. Mick says:

Little David got lots of ice time.
    Frankie got lots of ice time.
    Eller’s line, our best offensive line this year gets little?
    Why sit White?
    Why sit Murray?
    Therrien, “you can’t fix stupid”.
    This is all on our great new GM who I thought had a chance to fix this ship.
    I think I was wrong.
    I hope not.
    This team is sinking under this f… coach.

59. HabFab says:

Connor Crisp scored the GWG today. That after going pointless for 11 games.

Bouiilon: “On dirait qu’il y a plus de meilleures équipes que l’année passée. Nous avons la même équipe, utilisons les mêmes stratégies. Nos jeunes ont connu une bonne première saison l’an dernier et on se dit qu’avec une année d’expérience, ils devraient être meilleurs et ils le sont. ”

Is this a dig at the management or is he just stupid?

61. kingcammy says:

With all due respect to MB, season after season after season mtl has trouble scoring, they never have a player anywhere close to the top of any scoring chart, I mean Parros’s grit is very nice but what exactly did MB do to address the scoring issue this team has? (don’t even think of answering Briere)

• JohninTruro says:

Need to stick with what works. Taking Bournival off of the line with Plekanec and Gionta doesn’t make any sense. This is trying to fix what isn’t broken. This trio has had some chemistry and definitely some success.

• otisfxu says:

that is so true,,so many people on here talk about young stars, great potential, turning things around,,,but when you look at the stats, we do not have any of the top players in the league, and haven’t had for years. If so many on here would just step back, and look at the big picture, they would see that the Habs are jsut so average. We are not progressing whatsoever.

62. JohninTruro says:

I am waiting for the first player to get a penalty, sit in the box and look down at that camera in the penalty box and say “sorry” to all their fans watching at home. I want to see that instead of the stick I front, or towel, or looking away from it. Say “I’m sorry!”.

63. Habitant in Surrey says:

Please take the time to generously donate to your preferred charity (World Vision, the Red Cross, etc. ) to alleviate the extensive destruction of Typhoon Haiyan in the central Philippines.

Thank you very much.

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

So is it true someone asked Therrien a question something about people paying lots of money to see Habs not score goals. Or was it a wish that someone of Mtl media had balls.

65. ProHabs says:

It’s bag skate time.

“They want to make my job miserable, hey, its give and take”

66. Danno says:

Never mind Sunday.

Looks like Saturday was a day of rest for the Habs.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

67. RAM_TOUGH says:

Just got back form being away this weekend.

So, in the last two games the Habs scored two goals for Price. No shame in these players.

Carey is a smart kid, he knows he will not win a Cup in Montreal. Time to go to MB and tell him he wants out. Not the first player to do it & wont be the last!

Guts-Glory-Ram

68. jols101 says:

Jack Todd – ” Desharnais weighed down by big contract.”

Let’s all take a moment and light a candle and shed a tear.

Total rubbish.

• CH Marshall says:

I’m not so much bothered by the money as I am by the length of the contract. When MB came on board, I thought he’d just keep signing DD to one year contracts, maybe max two year contracts. Thankfully he didn’t sign MT to four years.

• VancouverHab says:

Jack Todd writes total rubbish you say?

Urinals flush urine you also say?

Any other self-evident truths to share?

• CH Marshall says:

I have to confess that I like reading Jack Todd. As a student in mtl, I always looked forward to groaning reading the Sports section and shaking my head at the woeful Canadiens. But those were the days when they were *really* terrible. Now, it’s a sort of cock tease. Anyways, Stubbs’ ultra sexy bow-tie keeps me coming back…

69. Mark C says:

Poor Jaro, chased after allowing 3 goals on 6 shots.

70. otisfxu says:

strong possibility no Canadian teams in playoffs,,,,Habs only one in playoff spot as of now,,,,

71. Grimmly says:

They played so great last night, worked so hard, needed the rest.
    Oh wait?

72. Bill says:

Apparently there is no rest for the weary, but plenty of rest for listless millionaire athletes, haha!

73. D Mex says:

Whoa … anybody home ?

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

74. Stevie.Ray says:

They’re hard to come by. Oilers, Buffalo, Florida seem to be the only sellers right now. Hemsky? Would cost us a D and rather would have one of their big 4.
    Nobody from Buffalo unless we got Ott to center the fourth line. Might be nice.
    Florida? Huberdeau is off limits. Kopecky, Fleischmann, Boyes? All overpaid and underperforming at the moment.

75. SlovakHab says:

He wrote “a goalscorer” and you mentioned Ott, Kopecky, Boyes…?

76. Stevie.Ray says:

I did say Ott on the fourth line :)

Kopecky and Boyes would be the best goal scorers available from Florida, but they are stinking it up right now.

77. SlovakHab says:

Kopecky is not a goalscorer, his career best is 15.
    Boyes used to be, but he hasn’t scored over 14 goals since 2008/09.
    Ott is a fourth-liner as much as the 2 guys above. Has been around half a point per game over the last few seasons.

Why don’t we just develop own goalscorers rather than trading for more of what we already have.