Sunday a day of rest for Habs; Beaulieu recalled from Bulldogs

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien rewarded his team for Saturday’s 2-1 win over the Boston Bruins with a day off on Sunday as they get ready to face Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin was working on Sunday, calling up defenceman Nathan Beaulieu from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs after Alexei Emelin suffered what appeared to be a knee injury in a collision with the Bruins’ Milan Lucic. In two games with the Canadiens this season, Beaulieu posted one assist and two penalty minutes. In 64 games with the Bulldogs, he has 7-21-28 totals to go along with 56 penalty minutes. Beaulieu was selected by the Canadiens in the first round (17th overall) of the 2011 NHL entry draft.

Saturday’s win improved the Canadiens record to 25-8-5 and gave them a three-point lead over the Bruins (24-9-4) atop the Northeast Division. The Canadiens rank second in the Eastern Conference, three points behind the Pittsburgh Penguins (29-10-0). If the NHL playoffs had started based on the standings after Saturday’s games, the Canadiens would have faced the New York Rangers in the first round with the Bruins taking on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Habs edge Bruins to sit atop division, by Pat Hickey

“We played a full 60 minutes”: Josh Gorges, by Pat Hickey

Hiring Therrien was Bergevin’s best move, by Jack Todd

Eller tugs on Chara’s cape, by Dave Stubbs

First-place Canadiens fend off Bruins, boston.com

Canadiens vs. Bruins photo gallery

Ovechkin does the trick for Caps, by Washington Post

1. Luke says:

Good Morning. Welcome to Monday.

So, I see the sky is being held firmly in place today (probably being held up by PK while DD is trying to distract him or something).

2. Loonie says:

Carey Price can’t steal a game.

9-4-4 in one goal games this year.

11-6-11 last season(a year the team finished two games under .500)

15-4-7 the previous year.

• Luke says:

But he didn’t have to STEAL this game.
      Y’know… STEAL.
      He needs to really STEAL one.
      Don’t ask me to explain what it means… that’d prevent me from complaining about Price.

3. JF says:

A couple of very positive posts farther down the page (HH and YoNiko), both very good reads.

I don’t get how even after the Habs played what was surely one of their best games of the season on Saturday night, there were at least a couple of dozen posts singling out particular players for criticism, mostly Desharnais and Pacioretty. The litany was that DD sucks, he’s useless, he can’t win a faceoff to save his life, while Pacioretty is soft and floats. Other nights it’s Price, Travis Moen, Colby Armstrong….

The Habs are playing great hockey this season. They have the occasional bad game and individual players have tough games, hot streaks, and slumps. No person, hockey player or other, is at their best all the time, and there is always room for improvement. Some of the criticism on this site is constructive, but a lot of it seems like sneering and nitpicking, especially after such a great game as they played on Saturday.

Another thing: for those who were unhappy Bergevin made no major moves at the deadline. First, he had already make several, with the Michael Ryder trade, the acquisition of Jeff Halpern, and, the day before the deadline, that of Davis Drewiske. He has also given “auditions” to some of our Hamilton kids, none of whom looked out of place, and who may be able to help if necessary. And we will have Rene Bourque and Raphael Diaz returning to the lineup, a hard-nosed forward and a responsible, offensive defenceman who will certainly help. And deadline acquisitions, no matter how good they are as individual players, don’t always help. Jagr was invisible for the Bruins on Saturday. The Penguins haven’t exactly set the world on fire the last few games (granted, they’ve lost Crosby). The Rangers look rejuvenated for now, but will the shot-in-the-arm effect of new players be lasting? We don’t know yet. On paper these teams might have gotten better. We’ll see if they can win on the ice, which is what the Habs have been doing all season.

• Loonie says:

I agree with the sentiment of your opinion Jane, but to say that none of the prospects looked out of place indicates to me, no disrespect, that you’re seeing the team through rose coloured glasses to a certain extent.

Greg Pateryn was in my opinion very much out of place.

With regard to nitpicking regarding Desharnais and Pacioretty as you say some is fair and most isn’t. Pacioretty has improved this season in my opinion. Of him, Desharnais and Cole I feel he’s the only one of the three who adequately adjusted his game from last season to sustain success. He’s passing more and that’s intelligent considering the attention paid to him when he’s attacking with the puck. On Desharnais, I wouldn’t call it a lack of effort or work ethic, but his offensive production is WAY down at a time when Pacioretty’s is up. His powerplay production and efficiency hasn’t been so much as good.

If a team’s goal is to be playing its best hockey going into the playoffs I think it’s okay to nitpick here and there.

And again while I agree that it’s great to see this team playing well, it isn’t like it can’t improve.

• JF says:

I probably am seeing the team a bit through rose-coloured glasses. I also don’t know as much about hockey as some of you guys. Pateryn to me looked a bit nervous and tentative, but he didn’t cost us anything; I do agree, however, that he was the least ready of the call-ups.

You could be right about DD (I confess I don’t pay a lot of attention to statistics). But I bet he’ll continue to work hard and try to adjust his game; it’s what he’s done his whole career. However, I agree with others that of our four top centres (Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk, and DD), DD is the one who will the most quickly become redundant.

• Mike D says:

I was one of the posters who was critical of DD and Max. If I came across as a negative Nelly, a troll, or sounded like I had a hate on for either player, let me re-assure you that is not the case.

As was stated by myself and other posters, Max can be streaky and is not good defensively. I never called him soft but I would like to see him use his size/strength more on the forecheck and to drive the net. As for DD, he IS lousy at faceoffs, not good defensively, and is often easily knocked off the puck. As a combo, Max and DD seem to have a hard time sustaining o-zone pressure despite being given many o-zone faceoffs. In the eyes of this viewer, those are fair facts.

Maybe they’re just running a bit cold lately, or maybe Gally’s incredible work ethic shines a negative light on the others since he plays on their line and often is the spark of it. I’m really not sure. It was pointed out to me that Max is actually scoring at a slightly higher pace than last year, but also has a higher percentage of games where he gets no points. Perhaps this throws off my perception.

Anyways Jane, didn’t mean to offend. CHeers and good morning to you. :-)

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• JF says:

Nothing on here really offends me; I just scroll past what I can’t be bothered with. Your comments about DD and Max are likely right and are certainly moderate, not like the “hate” that some posters seem to feel.

Am guessing no one has heard any updates regarding the health of Emelin?

5. Marc10 says:

I had a good discussion with some friends of mine who are Leaf Fans and how the HNIC has been forever tarnished by the Leaf-Bruin love fest that has gone into overdrive since Cherry became a cash cow for the CBC.

They were shocked to hear that Hab Fans would despise their beloved telecast and loathe Maclean or Cole. No one had any problem thinking PJ was just a clown though… That we all agreed on.

• Shocked? Really? Sounds like they are living in the TO bubble. I generally liked visiting a Leafs/Habs game in TO as we all just wanted to enjoy the entertainment, but the HNIC situation is just so obviously stupid and biased and may be based on the English/French, Ontario/Quebec struggles with neighborliness.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• wjc says:

Friends, it is called ‘entertainment’, you don’t like it ‘mute’, turn the channel, or don’t take it so seriously. Hockey is just hockey and take it for what it is. The RDS broadcast are just as biased as are the ‘Boston’ broadcast etc….etc…

People, are homers by nature and to be sensitive to every little thing is just ….whats the word, childish. Learn to be less sensitive, and more carefree….it is free and life is too short to worry about trivia.

If you hate P.J. Stock so much, just shut him off. He has done well for himself, being a fringe player and finding a spot on a ‘hockey show’, maybe you should cut him some space or cut off his way into your home.

wjc

• Luke says:

I find it baffling that so many get worked up about a lack of Habs content, or where that content falls in a broadcast (hilites AFTER Edmonton/Detroit game? c’mon!!!).

It reminds me of the seeming desire for Canadians to be recognized by the American Mainstream. How we point out our celebrities are Canadian, or the number of Canadians in the non-hockey leagues…
          Then Saturday Don Cherry throws the Habs fans a bone and we get all starry eyed and giddy that he noticed us!! It validates us!

Personally, I like being in the Leaf bubble. I don’t get to hear the talking heads drone on endlessly about our version Lupul’s or Gardiner’s. Makes me less jaded.

• Loonie says:

PJ Stock said and I’m paraphrasing….

“Look at Subban wearing his headphones and holding his head down, nobody on his team likes him right now and he knows it”.

It isn’t a lack of content that gets people worked up about PJ Stock, it’s the false content he delivers.

• matrags says:

The saying goes, that to know America one must know baseball, or something like that. It fallows that to know Canada one must know Hockey.I watched the Hnc broadcast Saturday and I understand why some in Quebec yearn for a country of their own. The National game featured the Habs yet the Toronto centeric broadcast turned it into a Leafs homegame. there are still two solitudes in this Country .

• Mattyleg says:

wjc, what you’ve just written only indicates that you’ve never watched RDS, or perhaps your French isn’t good enough to understand it.

RDS is nowhere near Boston or CBC when it comes to ‘homerism’.

I agree that we don’t have to watch it, but it bothers me that my tax money goes into putting PJ Stock onto a station that masquerades as a national broadcaster.

And hockey is not ‘entertainment’. That’s a recent misconception. Hockey is a sport, and as such is often not ‘entertaining’ in the strict sense of the word. Trying to make hockey ‘entertaining’ is what is wrong with the sport. If people want ‘entertainment’ under the guise of sport, I would recommend WWE. It even has ‘entertainment in its name.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Clay says:

I keep telling people – Cole is a Habs fan from way back. If he sounds critical at times, that’s just him being a fan, like we all are at times. I can’t understand all the hatred I see here towards Cole. Maybe you just have to be as old or older than me to see this.
      If anyone failed to read the Jack Todd article, you missed this line – “There was a great moment in the room Saturday when Bob Cole walked up to tell Galchenyuk how much he enjoyed watching the kid play.”
      Cole did that because he’s a fan of the team, and the game.
      As for the rest of the buffoons (Stock, McLean, Cherry) – these are legitimate complaints.

__________________________
      ☞ Montreal is the better of these two teams. No excuses for Bruins. Montreal is better.☜ ~ Jack Edwards

• wjc says:

Clay, I don’t see all the hate for Cole either, he just names players to make it easier to watch. He makes mistakes, he gets names wrong sometimes and does this all under the pressure of a national broadcast.

He has an exciting voice and presentation and I take the content with a grain of salt. Rolling my eyes when he gets a strategy wrong, but so what. I can see and make my own judgements of what is going on just say the players names.

To me there are very few legitimate conplaints, I just watch and enjoy if I can and if they start to get on my nerves I change the channel for a while or mute the damn thing.

Cherry is just, being Cherry, who say’s the odd thing I agree with and some I don’t care about, but he never makes me mad, I just flip the channel or mute button.

Mclean keeps it all running on time and everyone brief. Cherry and him have a good thing going and I understand it is just entertainment and to be taken lightly. Stock fills his roll well also, playes it light.

You could not have serious talking heads, talking about this play and that play, you have to have comic relief. Someone to say the odd silly thing or outrageous thing to keep it stirred up. Apparently, it keeps some stirred up and still watching…..so admit it, it works.

wjc

• Clay says:

It might work for some, but not for me. All things being equal, I’ll take intelligent commenting over “Someone to say the odd silly thing or outrageous thing to keep it stirred up”. That, to me, is the attitude that ruined news; we went from intelligent, respectable people like MacNeil/Lehrer, Walter Cronkite, Edward R. Murrow and Bill Moyers to the crap we have now on Fox ‘news’. To me, Cherry and Stock = FOX ‘news’.
          Yes, sensationalism and divisiveness works for some, but we are certainly not better because of it. In fact, we are much, much worse.

*Edit* I believe this goes to Matty’s point (above) about trying to turn it into ‘entertainment’.
          __________________________

• wjc says:

Could you picture ‘chainsmoking Edward Morrow and Walter Conkite and Bill Moyers doing ‘hockey night in Canada.

Hockey is ‘entertainment’, there is a winner and a loser, but not a real loser, just a temporary loser, ’till next time’. There are interviews with players that saying nothing new. Coaches get fired to be rehired somewhere else for ‘big bucks’

Cherry wears outlandish ties and coats and it is encouraged. People say outrageous things and are ‘encouraged’. Controversy, hyperbole and exageration, all in the name of “who is it hurting.

Rich players except it, it raisies their pay, more people watching, more money in till. Just entertainment after all only one team out of 30 can win the big prize. For a while it seems that all 30 can win.

The trick is to make you think your team can with the big prize, and when they don’t, use the same formula next year and after 20 years you still haven’t won, well there is next year.

Entertainment, it is, serious it isn’t, some times you have to be a “big boy” and realize ‘big boy things.’

wjc

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.
            A very entertaining post, not to be taken seriously.
            Especially the cavalier use of spelling and grammar!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habondarock says:

I don’t get the Cole hate as well. Whats wrong with some posters here, i mean he’s been calling hockey games longer than most people here even knew what a puck was. It’s one thing to criticize a hockey game or team, but to start harping on broadcasts or broadcasters is a real head scratcher for me! People, get out of your mom’s basement! The sun is a good source of vitamin D. Your computer screen just dosen’t cut it.

• wjc says:

Matyleg, when I go to parties I like ‘cavalier’

Very good and old trick, I might add. When you have no comeback you attack the grammar and spelling. You must have a field day on here correcting all the imperfections from others as well as ‘little ole imperfect me’

Cheers my friend.

wjc

• Cal says:

As a play by play man, Cole should have retired 12 years ago. He simply can’t see well enough to call the game properly.
        He is a fan of the game itself and that is what keeps him going, but his time is over. They need a new play by play man.

• Clay says:

I agree with that Cal, but that’s a whole different discussion. And certainly does nothing to explain the hatred.
          I will always be a fan of Cole though. He has an iconic voice, and was one of the best ever to call the games.

__________________________

• wjc says:

He would have to be more then a “fan” of the game, since he is the highest paid CBC brodcaster at this time.

What keeps him going is his perfect broadcaster voice for hockey. He has many fans who would miss him.

wjc

6. HabFanSince72 says:

The more salient point about PJ Stock isn’t that he’s an ignoramus and a buffoon, but that he is part of a bizarre systematic attempt by HNIC to tarnish the reputation of PK Subban. This is, for many reasons, utterly shameful.

• HabsFansince49 says:

I believe it is called racism.

• scavanau says:

The word “Idiot” has many definitions

• Loonie says:

That agenda isn’t exclusive to CBC.

• wjc says:

Habfansince72, why the ‘hatred’ for P.J. Stock. You think he is an ignoramus and a buffoon, well, that ‘my friend’ is just your personal opinion. P. J. has done ‘a lot’ with very little, first as a hockey player and and now as a broadcaster.

To say that HNIC has an agenda to tarnish P.K. Subban is not only unsubstantiated but it clearly not working.

Last I looked P.K Subban is flourishing with a winning team be touted for a possible ‘Norris’ trophy. They have done nothing shameful in reporting stories about “The Subban saga”, If anything it has kept him in the limelight. There is no such thing as bad publicity and Subban has made his team mates mad (some) by his shameless self promotion.

Did you not notice him during the ‘strike’ he was on every show in the universe (seemingly) doing the weather, doing comedy bits and interviews on his opinion on everything. P.K. sucks it up like a sponge and has lately pulled way by back and he is only 22 years old.

Markov, Cole etc. are a dozen years older and are not know nearly as well.

Face it Subban is good copy, never at a loss of words or opinion, always doing something outrageous (maybe not lately) and so HNIC focus on something that adds colour and exageration to what could be stuffy or heaven forbid boring show and spruce it up with ‘hyperbole, exageration, flamboyant (Cherry) and you have a show people will watch.

Replace “Cherry” in your mind with ‘Joe Clarke’ or ‘Mr. Dressup’ or ‘Stephen Harper’ all elegant speakers, but boring as hell.

wjc

• Loonie says:

Don Cherry on PK Subban – “Somebody’s gonna get him”

PJ Stock on PK Subban – “Nobody on his team likes him right now and he knows it”

• wjc says:

Somebody got him, it was the coach, he reeled him in and gave him a new agenda. So Cherry was right.

P.J. Stock saying “nobody on this team likes him and he know’s it”

This statement was true at the time and Subban did not care. The coach, general manager etc. decided to set Mr. Subban straight, get his head straight, get his feet on the floor (ice) and teach him a new way……..Their way.

When P.K. said what he said he was speaking the truth and there is nothing wrong with “speaking the truth”.

Now Subban is realizing that there is an “i” in teim only if you mispell it, he new spells it “team”.

So for fans to take everything so personal and not realize that at the time it was absoutely true and even Price didn’t want to do that high five thing anymore, and Subban knew where the camera was most likely to be at the end of the game…..on the goaly. No wonder that the players were fed up with his self promotion. The management finally said ‘ENOUGH’ just play hockey and play it our way.

wjc

• Loonie says:

Prust had dinner with Subban the night before that statement was made by Stock.

Whoops.

7. Loonie says:

For giggles I just took a look at the goaltending stats this year in the NHL.

How is Antti Niemi not being discussed as the runaway Vezina winner right now?

34 starts, 2.14 GAA, .924 save %, 3 shutouts.

If Carey Price can get his save percentage close to .925 he’ll probably win it considering the Habs’ position in the standings. But that’ll be pretty tough with only ten games left and one more Devils & Jets loss essentially clinching a playoff berth.

• Loonie, I like your rational comments most of the time, but I can’t agree that Price will win anything this year. He is good, not great. His defenders this year are far more cohesive than last year. We’re scoring in front of him and games like this past Saturday are not the norm for him. He’s been scored on with some regularity this year and he makes me nervous when he’s in. Yes, I’ve heard all the arguments for him making all stops look easy and that the defenders aren’t clearing his crease, blah, blah, but the fact is he isn’t great this year. His high game winning numbers are because our Habs are scoring well this year. 120 goals so far this year which is almost a goal a game better than last year. All the support for Price is heart-warming, but it’s a bit thick for a 25 year old who has been inconsistent and generally good, not great. My two-bits.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Loonie says:

I appreciate your compliment but disagree regarding Price. Did you know that he’s surrendered two goals or less in two thirds of the team’s games this season and in thirteen of those has only given up one or none?

His best season statistically was ’10-11 which was also the season that produced his heaviest workload. He gets better as the season goes on with the exception of the centennial season.

There are only two goalies in the NHL who’ve played more than thirty games who have a lower GAA and neither of them(Lundqvist and Niemi) have more shutouts. Their save percentages are higher however.

The front runners right now should be Niemi, Lundqvist and Rask. But again, if Price gets around seven of the next ten games and gets his save percentage up to the .920 mark, he’ll likely bump one of them out of the nominations.

8. Marc10 says:

Interesting little debate on censorship on HIO. My feeling is that when girls get to g-strings then the site is no longer something you’d be willing to look up on your lunch break or at even at a cafe (if you’re in my situation anyway…)

If the site goes on in that direction rather than stick to hockey, I’m cool with that, but it will mean I can’t log on between jobs to get a cheap laugh or share in the thrill of victory or in the bitter whining-fest that follows the odd loss.

Anyhow, enough about that. I’m looking forward to the Caps. Looks like they’re firing on all cylinders. How great would it be to permanently damage their psyche just when they’re turning a corner. Nope. Sorry! No cup for you. That window is closed and bolted shut.

Should be a good one. Go Habs Go!

• Cal says:

The rules on the home page state that this a “for all” web site. There are plenty of “adults only” hockey sites that spew profanity and x-rated pictures.
      Censor yourself. It works better than having an invisible moderator do it.

9. HabFanSince72 says:

DING DONG THE WITCH IS GONE!

• I liked her spice and no holds barred attitude. Brought back respect to a whipped nation. Need more politicians like her. At least she believed in her own views and fiercely supported them to a bunch of PC apologists for the British Empire

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

That was extremely small of you. Should those of us who disagreed with his politics have said something similarly nasty upon Layton’s death, you’d probably think this site was no place for such tripe. And you’d be right.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

10. As for why PJ Stock, a middling former NHL winger, who at 37 is constantly looking for his next gig, is still on TV anywhere, must be because he is a bilingual Montrealer and that is the narrow minded view of the casting people for HNIC and AC. He has always been a clown, bragging on CHOM-FM about his $150 purchase of cheap neckties, TV commercial for Depends (adult diapers) and a number of other comedic / buffoon efforts. So it would seem we shouldn’t be surprised if other panelists find him distasteful as he is just that, slapstick to the straight-men, but I would hardly call the talking puppet Ron McLean a straight man. I haven’t watched HNIC in years because of Cherry the evil clown (He should be taken out of his misery like an old horse with three broken legs) and the Clitsome / Cumiskey / Cuma for Toronto every night. You’d think the CBC would be able to get out of those contracts, especially after Cherry’s comments last year.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Habfan4lfe says:

you got it dude. he speaks french and the media talent pool is short on that. why else does Benoit brunet go from telecasting games to sit downs for pre-games. nobody likes him especially when he was calling games but yet now he is prime time on RDS.

• Loonie says:

Why do you say that nobody likes Benoit Brunet?

I haven’t read or seen any widespread criticism of him, it’s been the opposite actually.

11. CharlieHodgeFan says:

It will be interesting to see the Therrien strategies for containing Ovechkin. Ever since the famous Caps/Habs series, Ovechkin has looked like he was being sailed by Carnival Cruise Lines.
    Now, he’s moving again.
    It’ll be interesting to see how the depleted defence is used.

12. Loonie says:

Any Hockey News subscribers here?

I’m asking because as recently as two years ago they were posting how many scoring chances each team surrendered on a per game basis and what I liked about their use of the stat is that they tied it to Vezina, Selke and Jack Adams voting.

If any of you have seen this league wide stat recently I’d appreciate it if you could share the results(or best guesses from memory).

Thanks.

• Habfan10912 says:

Sorry Loonie. I just let my subscription run out last November as part of my no purchase pledge from the lockout. They did not have that stat the last couple of seasons that I remember seeing. Can’t tell you if they published it this year.

• Loonie says:

Thanks Jim, that should make the search easier. :)

I was looking for it because I remembered it from Tim Thomas’ first Vezina season, they printed that Bruins only allowed 6.5(ish) scoring chances per game.

A ridiculously low amount obviously.

13. Mattyleg says:

Hey Chums,
    Can someone help me?
    I’m worse at math than Brad Marchand is at looking intelligent.

The Penguins have clinched a playoff spot with 58 points and 10 games left.
    New Jersey, in 9th, have 40 points with 10 games left.
    Surely if they win (and everyone else wins) all their games and Pittsburgh loses all their remaining games, the Devils will surpass them and knock them out.

But obviously I’m wrong.
    I need a Master Mathematician to help me with this.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Check out the comments of Drewiske that are about half way down the page under the sub-title “Positives”.

Ed and I commented on how brilliant Dudley is at watching/scouting players. While we don’t know who targeted Drewiske, seems to me this move has Dudley’s fingerprints all over it.

• ed says:

Some team will definitely hire Dudley as GM before too long. Maybe Calgary?

• Phil C says:

At Dudley’s age, I wonder if he is just happy being the hockey guy in a good organization. The problem with being a GM is that it becomes more about management and less about hockey decisions.

Hope your right, and perhaps he is enjoying working with a guy like MB whom he is almost mentoring.

• JF says:

Nice find, Steve! I’ve been impressed by Drewiske since he arrived.

• Phil C says:

I said before the deadline that the importance of picking up a defensive defenseman would be evident if Emelin or Gorges were injured, and here we are. Drewiske ate Emelin’s minutes very effectively in the Boston game.

Based on your link, the Habs did some great pro scouting finding this guy.

“HardHabits says:
    April 7, 2013 at 11:44 pm (Edit)”

This is the post of the day (from yesterday). A must read.

Please scroll half way down the page.

I think the CBC needs to address the P.J. Stock situation this summer. He has quickly become their version of Scott Gomez abd the Habs.

Ron MacLean is a master puppeteer while Elliot Freidman has become the go to guy on the Hotstove Lounge. Glenn Healy may not be everybody’s cup of tea but he’s a sharp guy. Kevin Weekes is the complete antithesis of Stock. He is to Stock what Galchenyuk is to Gomez.

If you have watched the past few Hotstove segments you can’t help but notice the interaction among the panelists. Freidman is totally frustrated with Stock, Weekes waits patiently to correct P.J.’s mistakes while Healy barely acknowledges his presence due to his obvious contempt. Even MacLean seems to be smirking in anticipation of what Stock is going to say next.

The Habs have never looked back since they cut Gomez loose. The CBC needs to do the same thing with Stock.

Agree Steve, why does L’Antichambre keep this guy around though?

• Habfan10912 says:

Can’t help you one way or the other with PJ or any other members of CBC’s broadcast team. My channel gets changed the minute a period ends. Have not watched a Hot Stove or a Coaches Corner in a couple of years.
      I understand they are there to provide entertainment but I could not take Cheery’s blatant racism any longer and adding PJ’s spewing his idiotic garbage, I couldn’t take it any longer. Talk about a lack of institutional control.

• Phil C says:

Healy is openly hostile towards him, which I find awkward to watch. I hate to attack how someone makes a living, but it is not a great format for him.

• ed says:

Stock adds zero value to any discussion about hockey. Zero Value.
      And the fact that he is making his living these days by perpetuating the myth that Subban is the cause of all evil in this world, is disgusting to say the least.

The CBC is run by fools. Plain and simple. They either change their philosophy or they DESERVE to lose their NHL rights.

• twilighthours says:

Patience. TSN/CTV will get the next TV deal, and we won’t have to put up with that crap ever again.

17. HabFanSince72 says:

Is it just me or is the West a lot better than the East now?

Seems to me they have a lot of flashy exciting teams. The first round matchups at present are:

Chi – Det
    Ana- Stl
    Van-Min
    LA – SJ

All potentially good series.

At first glance I think the West appears to have more depth. The East however, seems about to change. Have the Rangers found their mojo? Have the Capitals finally figured out what type of game Oates wants them playing? These two teams have plenty of high end talent and if they continue their good play provide strength to the East.

The Senators appear to have finally hit a wall, The Leafs…well none of us want to believe they are that good, but they have been pretty consistent all season. And the Islanders may struggle to get in but there are some dangerous players there.

Overall I do think the West has more depth, but at the top of each conference I am not sure one is stronger than the other. Injuries could be a factor and it does seem like the top East teams are battling a few more siginficant injuries.

• Cal says:

It’s just you. ;)

18. Habitoba says:

with all this subban/norris talk going on, i started thinking about why the nhl has the rocket richard, hart and selke trophies exclusively for forwards but only has one defensive trophy. Why not have an offensive one and a defensive one. it is defense the name of the game here.

you could name the offense one the Bobby Orr and defense could be the Larry Robinson (for his =/-)

thoughts?

19. Bozo McBozo says:

JacK Todd’s column was spot on . And, I don’t care what the rest of you think, I like his writing!

20. jedimyrmidon says:

So LA wants to join in on the fun of having an outdoor Winter Classic game: LA Kings want an outdoor game at Dodger Stadium

Technology can work wonders… not sure if it can pull off having an outdoor rink in what will at best be mild summer conditions.

21. Da Hema says:

I have no intention of getting into a debate here; just a critical comment about our moderators. Several of my posts were deleted, posts which had external links to two very sexy women. I’ll concede they were provocative, but certainly not inappropriate.

What does this say about our conservative North American society? On the one hand, anyone can come here and post, for example, that they want nothing more than Chara to die or suffer some terrible fate. That won’t get deleted. So posting about wanton violence is acceptable. Yet links to beautiful young women in provocative poses will be deleted. And spare me the crap about the “poor children” visiting this site. I’d rather my son appreciate a beautiful woman than grow up glorifying violence.

That’s my two cents on the censorship here.

• Timo says:

There is clearly a need for independent review of these links. Please repost.

• Clay says:

Seconded. And to illustrate the hypocrisy, did the same mods not see the rather sexy pic Boone put up on the last ALN?
      Sex is better than violence, any day. And when I signed up to this site (back when it was Habs IO), I had to check a box stating that I was 18+.

__________________________

• Da Hema says:

Or the evening where everyone here was coming up with porno names for NHL players, such as Brandon “Thrust.” When I was 10 years of age my brother and I were sneaking looks at what then were called “girlie magazines.” Boys looking at naked women in magazines? Call the police!! Grow up North America — and the priggish HIO moderators.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I understand your position, but really, if anyone is after that kind of content, can’t they find it on their own somewhere else on the interwebs? I agree that the picture posted on ALN by Mr. Boone was relatively tame, but where do we draw the line? If we want to have an inclusive, welcoming community, we should tone down the sexist remarks. And to promote the literacy and intellectual tone, I don’t mind if we cut down on the sophomoric jokes. Whenever a certain Hurricanes winger is topical, half the posters here all of a sudden turn into twelve-year olds. It’s so moronic, I leave and go see what’s going on at the Onion or Grantland.

———————————————————————–

• Da Hema says:

I respect your comments. It is interesting you talk of HIO constituting a “community.” Communities are diverse, with all their different members interpreting and communicating their experiences in unique and discrete ways. Sometimes those words and ideas are thoughtful (e.g., yours), sometimes humorous (e.g., Danno, JohnBellyful), sometimes skeptical (e.g., Timo), and sometimes dense and jejune (e.g., me). What holds us all together is a passion for the Habs. But if members of this site could only post about hockey-related matters, then I would not bother coming here.

The problem with censorship is that its application is always arbitrary. For all I know, the moderator who deleted my posts was an overly-sensitive radical Christian who was trying to save my alleged soul. Or perhaps there was a more rational reason to do so. I don’t know, because no one has told us what constitutes “legitimate” and “illegitimate” speech here beyond the hoary criteria of “sexism” and “hate.”

Let me conclude with words by Juvenal you will appreciate: “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? – Who will watch the watchers?”

• twilighthours says:

I strongly disagree with the philosophy of – nay, I hate the idea of – anonymous moderators.

Nonetheless, I agree with this moderation. See normand’s post.

In addition, there are plenty of women who visit this site. Easy to surmise that they might be offended.

People might remember me as the Tank™ guy. punskter time and again tried to pin me as a person who advocated throwing games which is patently false. I guess that was his shtick. He was the Gracie Allen to my George Burns. My view was basically this, we as Habs fans, when the time comes that the team is plummeting down the standings and in rebuild mode, that we suck it up and embrace it. Relish the high draft pick and move on. There is no shame in not selling the farm on an all in attempt to move from 12th to 9th and maybe if lucky limp into the play-offs with the only hope a quick and unceremonious exit. Better to grab that high pick. Calgary is an example of a team that has waited too long to do the inevitable. For the Habs, the reason why Gainey and Gauthier got turfed was not because the Habs Tanked™. They got let go because of the way they handled it. That the Tanked™ season was part of a trajectory that included prospects being mishandled, brought up at the wrong time, and traded for peanuts, a Centennial that turned out to be a three ring circus and a freak side show, the squandering of 11 UFA contracts with nada in return, one of which cost a 1st and a 2nd. More forays into free agency that only perpetuated the cycle of mediocrity, with the only glimmer of hope out of this world goaltending. Last season was the culmination of a dysfunctional organization with one and only one bright light in the darkness; the amateur drafting department.

So here we are. Leading the North East. First in the strongest division in the NHL. Yet people are still griping.

I was happy last season when we finished 28th and got the 3rd pick. I was ecstatic with the draft pick haul.

I am now immensely impressed with not just the position the Habs are in but also with the way they are doing it.

People are suggesting all kinds of concerns founded in what I believe to be nothing more than the fear to believe, that a hope if not satisfied will turn into a disappointment. I suggest to live the dream. Worry not about whether we fail or succeed. There is only one way to go and that is for the championship with the team we have as is, and with whatever we can muster from the organizational depth. Regardless of whether the Habs succeed or not and are rebuilding, with an eye on garnering a more replete prospect pool for the future, it is realistic to think that the Habs can win the Cup, to believe that they are going to win it this year and that the time is now.

The last two Cups the Habs won, the team was loaded with players who never had any play-off experience. Remember that when you concern about the current roster.

• citizenSanto says:

I endorse your Hope!

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Great post. I for one was for the tank also. There were many many years under Gainey and Gauthier where the goal was to just get to the playoffs and hope for the best. No long term planning just short term thinking and knee jerk reactionary moves. Always trying to rebuild on the fly and spinning our wheels not getting anywhere instead of taking the plunge and rebuilding properly. It’s not like they were going to lose any fans in this market. I think the hiring of Bergevin was the best thing this organization has done in almost 20 years and now I have hope again for this team.

• chanchilla says:

I have never believed that you were a person that just endorsed losing, honestly, i believe halfway through the season last year we shouldve tried to sell more assets. Even though we are within the top of the league this year, we still have a lot of picks in the first 3 rounds. The reason pittsburgh and detroit have done so well recently is because they drafted well, and i believe the habs are on the same path. People didn’t agree with you, and i may have been one of those people from time to time, but you were right, and look out our team now.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I say again, I disagree with the use of the word ‘tank’. It does mean to intentionally, deliberately lose games. On purpose. Like the Oilers have done for years.

Now, I have long counselled you to stop using that word, and use the handy phrase “‘long-term view planning and asset management maximization and leveraging our dismal position in the standing for the greater good in the not-too-distant future”. Which is what the Gainey/Gauthier régime finally did last year, after a disastrous kick at the Kaberle can. And, minus the dismal standings part, what Marc Bergevin did this year, far-sightedly getting out from under the last two years of Erik Cole’s contract, and refusing to swap picks and prospects for a rental at the deadline.

Thinking long-term good. Tank bad.

• HardHabits says:

Tank has more than one meaning.

verb (used without object)
        7. Slang. to do poorly or decline rapidly; fail: The movie tanked at the box office.

Idioms
        9. go in the tank, Boxing Slang. to go through the motions of a match but deliberately lose because of an illicit prearrangement or fix; throw a fight.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tank

This is not boxing. I never said go in the tank.

It was a word always used by yours truly for simultaneous dramatic and humorous effect, because it is provocative and with the clear intent of jolting the Habs Nation out of its sleepy slumber and spell. It is now a new HIO idiom that means what I have always defined it as and as you so eloquently paraphrase, “long-term view planning and asset management maximization and leveraging our dismal position in the standing for the greater good in the not-too-distant future.”

It’s just that it’s easier to come up with clever avatars with my word than with your definition of it. :-)

• BJ says:

UCE you sound like a pompous politician that has nothing to offer more than words without substance. I endorse the word “Tank” used by HH. Its meaning is clear and concise. And in this case you can spell it Galchenyuk.

• JF says:

Hardly a “handy phrase”! “Tank”, as HH explained it multiple times last year, works for me.

• Cal says:

I hate teams that lose purposefully, ie, the Oilers. I am glad they are having all kinds of trouble turning that team into a winner after having cultivated losing for so long.
      I hate seeing the Habs suck, but I’m glad it was for one miserable season, and not the 5 or 6 like Edmonton. (I still think injuries made last season’s team appear worse than they were, but that’s another discussion.)
      It is time to believe in this team. New faces, new management and a team of coaches all working to play hockey the same way in Hamilton as in Montreal. This is a top 5 team and while there are many doubters here because in the end there is only one Cup winner, it is time to stop being hyper-critical of everything and everyone. It’s time to fly the flag again. This team is for believers, not constant naysayers.

• HardHabits says:

Cal. Nobody loses purposely. Even the Flames as horrid as they are, are out there trying and playing to win. The Oilers problem is that, unlike Pittsburgh and Chicago, they are not maximizing their late picks. I never said Tanking was a Shangri-la and the only route to success. I always stated that it was merely an opportunity to get a high pick. Late picks that turn out are needed. Multiple picks to increase those chances. Development. Pro-scouting. Trades. Signings. Coaching. Many elements to building a team.

The bottom line is this. When and if the Habs ever fail, we fans rather than only feel the pain of loss can also look forward to the potential jack-pot that is available in the NHL Entry Draft.

I also see the wisdom in not cultivating a culture of losing for successive seasons.

• JF says:

Great post! We haven’t had this good or exciting a team in decades. We should enjoy watching them play, embrace the dream, and see how far they go. With the way they’ve been playing since the start of the season, they have as good a chance of winning the Cup as any of the other top teams.

23. YoNiko says:

Here are some late Sunday night thoughts.

1- I’m overall impressed with the courage of this team that in spite of having 4 key forwards under 5’10 and 185 pounds keeps battling and shoe determination against the ‘bigger teams’

2-missing arguably one of our better forwards (bork!) and one our top 4 D men (Diaz) along with prust for three weeks and PK for the first three weeks of the season, this team has been more consistent than any other team in the league with their poorest stretch being 2 games without a point.

3- the acquisitions of halpern and Ryder are absolute steals. One of waivers and one from Texas

4- Moen is not the player he was last few years. Ill give him the season to adjust… Playoffs included only because his concussion from last year may have fogged him up more at this age and may need a while yo adjust. It’s only December in a regular season timeline after all. Some only get going right about now.

4- Carey price, if you take away the penguin game 7-6 and the leafs debacle 6-0… Would be 3rd in the league in save % and 4th in GAA.

5- sign budaj. Great backup. Cheap and apparently super team guy.

6- Colby Armstrong is definitely missed in the room.. If he is out for playoffs it’s a Shame…

7- Drewiskie is a solid 6th or 7th Dman. Very basic. Tough kid with a good stick. Solid on his skates. What more could we expect out of him? Another PK? He’s a patch job that would be cheaper to sit up in the pressbox.. Then say… KABERLE

8- Chucky and gally are only 3 points apart inspire of gally playing heavy PP minutes and top line shifts. Not negating his performances. Only justifying my argument I had with a friend that Chucky is having a great rookie season. Considering his TOI and part time line mates at times, Chucky is definitely having a great rookie season. Look out down the stretch if he gets hot. (Also currently on a 4 game point scoring streak, his longest of the season)

9- PK is absolutely dominant this year. Eyes closed Norris finalist. His past rep will be the only thing getting in the way of him winning or not.

10- how awesome is it that we have so much youth in the pipeline and for once ON the current roster. Bold prediction .. Beaulieu will be a 20 minute man within the next 365 days.. And no in Hamilton

11- Prust makes me happy. In every way. Total team guy

12- isn’t it great that its nearly midnight on a Sunday and sites like HIO allow us to cyber hug and high five each other when most other Canadian hockey cities are looking over their shoulder

One last thing.

The leafs play the rangers twice Monday and Wednesday. Fact. The leafs may in fact lose those two games. That would mean they would face us while they’re in 8th on the east. That should be interesting. And quite arousing

We play them one more time too right? :)

24. HabFan in Edmonton says:

Trevor Timmins joined the Habs in 2002-2003. These are his 2nd round picks since he joined the Habs:

2012 (Sebastien Colberg, Dalton Thrower)
    2011-10-09 (Habs traded away their 2nd round pick)
    2008 (Danny Kristo)
    2007 (P K Subban)
    2006 (Ben Maxwell, Mathieu Carle)
    2005 (Guillaume Latendresse)
    2004 (traded away pick)
    2003 (Cory Urquhart, Maxim Lapierre)

It’s always a crap shoot but given that it’s an extremely strong draft and we have 3 second round picks, I like Timmin’s chances of finding someone who can help us.

25. likehoy says:

3 points to clinch a playoff spot by my count.

26. MrNax says:

Any word on Emelin’s injury?

27. slapshot777 says:

Anyone think we will see Bourque play this week? Maybe the Washington or Buffalo game.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

28. Harditya says:

Guess who leads the league in goals again? The great 8 has been magnificent! Always good to see a player turn it around. Hoping Erik Cole can step up his game next!

• monmick says:

Mike Green also seems to be playing better. About time…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• commandant says:

Green has been injured and playing poorly for several years. I don’t know if he can stay healthy, but if he can, he can score points.

As for Ovie, its like I was saying earlier today, all NHL goal scorers are streaky. He had his bad streak to start the season, and everyone crapped on him. Now he’s on a good streak. It happens for goal scorers.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Sportfan says:

Not a fan of Ovie but happy he’s come back to life!

• slapshot777 says:

Same here, I find Ovie is not a team player. This is one of the main reasons why the Caps never do much in the playoffs. Maybe Oates may chnge Ovie but I doubt it and until he leans this any team he is on even if it is team Russia.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• commandant says:

OVY is not the reason the Caps don’t win in the playoffs. The guy has been one of the best playoff performers in the NHL. If they lose, its not because of him.

Look at the series where we beat Washington, guy had 5 goals and 10 points in 7 games, what more was he supposed to do.

overall in his career has 30 goals and 59 points in 51 games. thats a pace to score near 50 goals and over 90 points in a full season. If you think he doesn’t show up in playoffs, and is the reason Washington loses, you haven’t been paying attention.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• slapshot777 says:

It is not always about the points though. This is why we are seeing MB bring in players who he things will mesh in with the team concept and won’t disturb the room.

The players may not be household names but then again you never see them out of place or not being able to adapt. Drewskie falls into that catagory, Halpren as well just came in and blended. I dont think the same would be said if Ovie came into the room.

It takes more than one player to win, grant you that. Like you said he got 10 points in the series but still didn’t get contibutions from any teammates.

There as also been talk that Ovie is a coach killer. Again if there is any truth to this, it would be a downer for teammates in a room. Ovie maybe scoring but it will still take the other 19 players to share the the load and be on the same page to win.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• commandant says:

He’s also been a plus player while scoring those points, and is quite frankly terrifying to me in the playoffs. The guy comes to play and has a passion for the game, and just wants to win.

If some of his teammates and former teammates (I’m looking at you Alex Semin and Mike Green as well as any Washington goalie not named Holtby) played with half the passion he does in the playoffs, Washington would not be a loser.

Ovechkin’s lack of playoff success really only proves one thing, you need more than one player, to create a great team.

As for being a bad teammate or a coach killer, I don’t buy it. Most of these insults come from guys who will praise every “good ole Canadian boy” for their playoff performance, but never give credit to a Russian or other Euro.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bill says:

Alex Ovechkin: 30 goals (59pts) in 51 playoff games. But he is one of the main reasons the Caps don’t do well in the playoffs?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• otter649 says:

About time for Ovy to step it up and start earning his salary after being an under achiever since The Habs of 2010 playoffs put a major kink into his game…..

• shootdapuck says:

Must have changed his “juice”!

No player can fall so steep or jump up so fast !

=================================================
      The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
      “Le game est tous de hard work”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

• Mr. Biter says:

Cole 3 goals 3 assists. Dallas will be vigilant dealing with MB again.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

29. frontenac1 says:

Caps 4 Bolts 2 .Done

30. joshbenn says:

Does anyone feel a little iffy about our defense corpse with the injury to Emelin

Without him in the lineup we are looking at a lineup similar to:
    Subban-Gorges
    Markov-Drewiske
    Bouillon-Beaulieu

Going into the playoffs without Diaz and having Beaulieu with little experience in the NHL could hurt the team. In the playoffs the game will really tighten up and the offensive side of the game slows down. Shutdown players like Emelin come in handy along with his big hits. Drewiske has never played in a consistent top-4 role before and having him next to Markov who has bad coverage at times which leads to goals by the opposing team could hurt the team even more.

All good teams who go far in the playoffs have excellent defense and I kind of wish that at the deadline MB had gone and got a reliable top-4 defense-man because it was inevitable that an injury would occur at some point down the stretch.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

IMO Alexei Emelin’s defensive skills are over-rated.

• yodasvoboda says:

He looked good early in the year … Past 10/15 games, I would agree. At times, he and Markov formed maybe our weakest link on D, especially in transition from ofee se to Defense. Now they both have bum knees.

That said we play good team defense, forwards collapsing, swarming pucks along the boards… I think we’ll be okay.

Beaulieu was pretty good in his two games and gives us a playmaker D option on second line PP.

• JF says:

I think you under-rate Drewiske. He’s played only three games with the Habs and done very well, including playing top-pairing minutes last night after the injury to Emelin. Just because there was no spot for him with the Kings, especially after they acquired Robyn Regehr, that doesn’t mean he isn’t a decent player. I also think Diaz is very likely to be back. He started skating this week and should be playing inside two weeks unless he has some sort of setback. And if Beaulieu has problems, we still have Kaberle, who I thought looked good in the ten games he played.

• steste11 says:

Not iffy at all… Gorges subban Frankie and drewskie have great heart and work ethic and that’s what you need in playoff hockey! Markov is scary in his own end from time to time but you gotta take the good with the bad with Marky and anything we get from Beaulieu is gravy! If Nathan can’t muscle up come playoff time look to see tinordi to replace him possibly in a second round series with the dirty Bruins. We will go as far as Carey can take us!

P.K 2013 Norris Trophy Winner

• Bill says:

Yes. I think the D corps is significantly weakened. The Habs can’t carry a rookie like Beaulieu (or Tinordi or Pateryn) AND a marginal journeyman like Drewiske at the same time and hope to get anywhere. Better pray one or both of Emelin and Diaz can make it back.

Full Breezer 4 Life

31. Sean Bonjovi says:

#67 for Tampa Bay just fell down on a partial breakaway

32. Harditya says:

Those were some 2 quick goals by the Blackhawks as they now lead the game 4-3. Brandon Saad is an impressive rookie. Solid player in the making.
    Edit: 5-3 Hawks final, Saad picks up a goal and an assist

33. Mike D says:

Question for the Commentariat.

We have one 1st round, three 2nd round, and two 3rd round picks in this draft. Calgary’s 2nd round pick is looking to be in the low 30′s and Nashville’s might be as well. Out 1st round pick will likely be around 25-30.

If you were GM, would you trade our 1st round, one (or two if needed) of our 2nd rounders, and one of our 3rd round picks to move into say a top 5 pick of what is a very deep draft? Or would you keep all the picks and hope to find some gems outside the top few?

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Steven says:

I’d be tempted to move up, as long as there’s a plan in place. If Timmins isn’t really looking for any particular player higher up or sees one lower, then no reason to jump the gun.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Good question, I think that would depend on whether there is someone in the top 5 that they strongly feel would be a difference maker/franchise player. Certainly having 2 early second round picks gives them some options which is great.

• Habilis says:

I would make that trade in a second, especially considering the quality at the top of this draft. Unfortunately, I don’t think any other GM would go for it, for that same reason.

The top 5 are all studs, I just can’t see anyone giving up the chance to get one of them.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Obviously the moves depend on Timmins’s assessments. If there is a can’t miss player available near them (e.g., Tinordi), they will move up. If not, they will take their picks and be done with it.

• commandant says:

I’d trade the 1st and all 3 seconds to get into the top 5.

No one in the top 5 will take that deal though.

Bascially a late first and 3 seconds are all rolls of the dice to even make the NHL, and the chance of a superstar is very low.

The chance of a superstar in the top 5, (especially top 3 of this draft) is very high.

Quality trumps quantity every single time.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bill says:

If the Habs had a top five pick, and some other team offered them essentially three high second-round picks for their top five, do you think the Habs would take it?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• JayK-47 says:

Not with Timmins and Bergevin at the helm. I can’t wait to see what rabbits he pulls from the hat this year.

34. frontenac1 says:

3-2 Preds. 13min to go.

35. Danno says:

The Emelin Wait

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

36. Un Canadien errant says:

I saw Marcel Dionne on l’Antichambre a few days back, and I again wonder why the CBC and TSN are fascinated with grinders and muckers and goalies, and ex-Bruins, as their talking heads. It’s like they’re addicted to them.

For grins, I discover that Marcel, a Hall of Famer, scoring champion and a former member of the ’72 Team Canada (just learned this, he didn’t play, but still…), lives in the Niagara region, running his restaurant/store and generally minding his own business. The guy’s French was a little rusty, but he’s energetic, funny, he teased Michel Bergeron a couple of times, has tons of stories to tell, and is still involved in the game, playing alumni games and through his collectables business.

So why the hell is he not working on hockey telecasts, either as a colour guy or a between-periods talking head? It’s amazing. I’m not the first one to point it out, but the NFL telecasts are replete with HOF’ers and Super Bowl winners, while we endure Don Cherry, Mike Milbury, PJ Stock, and Greg Millen and his pinwheel. Why is that?

The fifth all-time career points leader in the league isn’t good enough to talk to us about hockey? Because he played in LA? Wouldn’t he have tales to tell, about the wild 70′s, and the Canadiens who would always lose in LA because they were too sunburned to play, and Broad Street Bullies and the mayhem they generated, and the stars in Hollywood?

On l’Antichambre, he explained that he put up Luc Robitaille and Steve Duchesne when they were rookies in LA, and they had so much fun Jimmy Carson wanted to be ‘adopted’ too. He explained that his kids loved Lucky Luc, and when the time came for the players’ naps, the boys would nap right along with them, except they were rambunctious, and Marcel would sometimes not get a good sleep. When they started asking if they could nap with Luc, Marcel found that he’d sleep better and play better that night, whereas Luc was off his game, so they started foisting the boys back and forth.

Mr. Dionne told another story about how very early, he told Steve and Luc to look at the other guys in the dressing room, and explained that if they hung out with the ten who went to the beach and hung out with starlets and enjoyed all LA had to offer, they’d had fun, but if they instead hung out with the other ten guys, they’d have long NHL careers.

Great stuff. Insight. History. Colour.

Instead, we have to listen to the ‘energetic’ PJ Stock, standing atop his 5-goal corrupt-referee-aided sham of a career.

Honestly, I don’t think that CBC does that bad a job televising games. Their technical side is airtight, the camera shots and all the visuals are outstanding. The opening montages are sometimes the highlight of the show. What they need to do is clean house with the announcing staff, let go of the geezers who are past their primes, and re-energize the shows, with players who will add gravitas and authority to the broadcasts. Gilbert Perreault is criminally underused. Eric Lindros has opinions and can string two sentences together. Wayne Gretzky may be too mild in his commentary, but surely there’s a member of the Oilers dynasty available who could bring something to the broadcasts. If you want some gritty player’s angle, Clarke Gillies is a great storyteller, and as a member of the early 80′s Islanders dynasty I grudgingly respect, worthy of our respect and attention.

Hockey and the NHL sometimes acts like the shiftless ne’er-do-well drunken brother of the major North American sports leagues family. It’s always whining that it needs to be taken seriously, and that it should take its place as an equal member in that group, never mind the comparatively low ratings and revenues. One thing it could do to earn this respect is to start taking itself seriously, to respect itself, and to pressure their broadcast partners to do likewise and put an end to the goon dog-and-pony show. Sure, some old regulars will howl at the loss of Cherry on their menu, but they’re probably not the kind of clientele you want anyway if you’re trying to run a classy joint.

———————————————————————–

• Mattyleg says:

Haven’t watched HNIC in years.
      No, correction, I watched half of the Leafs’ blowout on the CBC because the cottage I was at didn’t have RDS.
      It was atrocious. Bob Cole was doing the play by play, and I don’t have to say any more than that.

RDS is satisfying on all levels. Interesting AND VARIED mix of pundits on L’Antichambre, professional p-b-p from Houde and relevant and insightful colour from Denis.

HNIC could wither up and finaly dry up for good, for all I care.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

CBC…forget it. The RDS broadcast is fair and balanced. I like the guests on L’Antichambre because they cover all sports regardless of language (e.g., Dana White). However, their hockey commentary is too biased, especially towards the French Quebecer point of view. The commentators are all the same too…no real difference of opinion. The only different one is PJ Stock and he says nothing anymore. 110% was a much better debate show with a real moderator, not a sidekick. For example, PJ Stock would point out frequently the QC bias on 110% but now keeps quiet. Still…anything is better than HNIC…even a blackout.

• Mattyleg says:

Huh.
          They’ve got some kind of ‘abuse filter’ on here or something.
          A comment I made just disappeared.
          Non-abusive, I might add.
          Hmm.

What I was saying was that I rarely watch l’Antichambre, and when I do, it’s never more than 10 minutes. Not interested in ‘pundits’.

If, however, they managed to get Stock to clam up, they’ve got to be doing something right.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

PJ is an HIO moderator on the weekends… :)

• showey47 says:

That reminds me.I gotta either get satellite or internet for the camp when i open it up 3 weeks. There is no freakin way i’m watching habs playoff games on cbc.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I know, as I was saying in my game recap yesterday, I don’t get RDS in HD, so I when I get a chance I watch the CBC or TSN for the picture quality.

So agree that Pierre Houde continues the great tradition of René Lecavalier and later Richard Garneau. They all use flawless French, great elocution, a wry sense of humour, and call it when they see a Canadien committing a penalty. If the ref overlooks it, they say: “Il s’en tire bien” about the player (He’s lucky that wasn’t called).

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Same emotion too whether the Habs score or the opposition…a real professional.

• D Mex says:

Agree that Pierre Houde’s language is impeccable – your (UCE & DDO) respective descriptions of him are reminiscent of the late Danny Gallivan, who also seemed equally animated when Habs opponents would score during broadcasts from the old Forum.

That didn’t work too well for me as a youngster, but I now know that it signalled the professionalism with which he did his work, and which you refer to.
          Good posts !

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• punkster says:

Good read, UCE…thanks.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• monmick says:

I totally agree…

However, I actually found it a bit sad that a great player like Marcel Dionne is reduced to having to sell trinkets to make a living. I hope that he is doing this because he truly enjoys it and really likes to meet people and talk about the old days. But I suspect that he is doing it at least in part because he needs the money. Considering how much money the average NHL players makes these days, something simply doesn’t seem fair…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agree, I hope that Marcel is just keeping busy and social with this business, that he and his family are already taken care of and he does this to take care of day-to-day expenses.

And it brings us back to our original point. If we were to honour and grow the game, shouldn’t the fat HNIC paycheque go to a deserving member of the ex-player fraternity, instead of PJ Stock and Mike Milbury?

• 365fan says:

I agree completely. Speaking of stars-turned-into-broadcasters who are not employed by CBC, I like Denis Potvin on the Ottawa broadcasts. I can’t understand why HNIC doesn’t try to add someone like him to their broadcasts. Elliotte Friedman is very good, but he must really wonders sometimes at the quality of the commentators around him. That whole Cherry/Fraser/Orr/Kadri snugglefest was just bizarre.

• monmick says:

I agree regarding Potvin, he is quite good and he and Dean Brown make a good team.

Suprisingly, or maybe not, there are quite a few good commentators and analysts on the french Quebec side. Houde and Marc Denis are very good, but the combination of Michel Langevin and Yvon Pednault, who have been doing some of the Sens games on TVA is also very good. I also like Normand Flynn as an analyst on RDS. The old CKAC radio combo of Martin McGuire and Dany Dubé is on par with Houde/Denis, although somewhat less impartial…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• D Man says:

I’ve turned the sound off during CBC broadcasts for so long now that I barely know who some of those guys are. I never watch between periods. I figure that if you’re at the game there are no announcers so you don’t need them at home. Miss the crowd noise though.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

37. Storman says:

Senators lose again,

38. Bill says:

Send lose 2-1 to the Panthers.

Anderson wasn’t clutch.

Lol.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Their success has been defying logic…maybe it’s time for reality…

• Habilis says:

They’re doing it on purpose. The 6th seed vs Washington or Winnipeg is way better than the 5th seed vs Boston or Montreal.

I jest, of course. But it really is crazy how much better of a matchup the 6 seed will have versus the 5 seed.

39. Harditya says:

Unstoppable Ovechkin. One more goal before he leads the league in goals. Solid turnaround from this guy. Sucks we’re facing him next haha

40. frontenac1 says:

Carlson beats Bishop on a blast from blueline.2-2 in 2nd

41. frontenac1 says:

2-1 Bolts in 2nd

42. WhatUp says:

2-2 Weber just scored and Nashville on the pp

43. frontenac1 says:

2-1 Hawks in 2nd. Bickell gets the go ahead.

44. WhatUp says:

unrelated but I’ve read a few posts on the Habs ability to manage cap with current roster etc..I think the Habs should be fine in that once you buy out Kabs there really aren’t any bad contracts in our books (Gionta and DD really do not qualify as such). the only ?? was Cole and MB addressed it. as much as i like Markov I can;t see him being a Hab at the expiry of his current deal – also coincides with $$ needs for Diaz, Emelin and more importantly PK…we have lots of good prospect and with 6 picks in the next draft’s 3 rounds we will add some talent knowing Timmins.

the only real threat I can think of for the habs in the next year or 2 (and this is very likely) is an expansion and the loss of unprotected players. Habs lost Vokun, Beauchemin and Hainsey I think many years ago…let’s hope that MB has good plans for this…

last: i hope that MB can come to terms with Ryder..I dislike his defensive game/ back check (or lack thereof) but can’t deny the importance of his goal scoring …in games where you think you’re out it never hurts to have guys that can score – when was the last time the Habs were in the upper tier in scoring. i probably didn’t have any grey hair then

45. jols101 says:

F’n Country Music Awards – brutal.

46. Say Ash says:

Right now, Emelin is going through this:

47. steste11 says:

Long time visitor of the site first time poster… Love the access to info the site provides on injuries and starting goalies! Very important when betting the Habs games!

Few points… just love Nathan Beaulieu being called up! He looked NHL ready in the few games we seen him in and just seemed to have a great awareness when to jump into the play offensively and pinch to hold the blue line as well. Very promising player especially on the PP with P.K in a yea or two!

Also I generally enjoy reading the comments on here but after the very few losses we’ve seen this year reading some ppl jump on price is ridiculous. Great goalie and competitor! Some goals occasionally look bad I think because he makes every save look so easy! Kinda surprised to see a non-screened shot go in on him as that’s usually made very routinely!

That’s all folks! Go Habs!

P.K 2013 Norris Trophy Winner

48. Storman says:

Bulldogs struggling in Houston trailing 1-0 with only 10 shots through 2 periods, but considering it is there 3rd game in 3 nights, Friday night a 4-2 win in San Antonio followed by a 2-1 win in Austin over the Texas Stars on Saturday night. Gotta love AHL schedules…another reason to bust your ass to try and get to the show.

49. Storman says:

Thunderbird Center erupts, Congratulations Canada Davis Cup Team .

50. frontenac1 says:

@jols101. If Yemelin went back to Russia to get fixed by those Commie doctors that re-build his face ,then I think we could see him by the playoffs.

51. habzfan2003 says:

Anyone just see that save by Clemmenson?? WOW are you kidding me?

52. Storman says:

If anyone is interested Canada’s Milos Raonic up 2 sets to 1 and up 5-4 in set 4 trying to advance Canada to semi finals of World Group Davis Cup play kind of historic for Canada. Quite a few Vancouver Canucks on hand to cheer Raonic on at the Thunderbird Sports Center in Vancouver. Thunderbird center getting ready to explode..

53. frontenac1 says:

Expos back? I would love that,as long as the are in the NL. That way ,I can keep cheering for Oakland. Go A”s Go!!

54. Propwash says:

Is Taylor Swift considered country music? If so, here is one of her greatest tracks!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

55. jols101 says:

Did Emelin have to fly home to Russia to get this MRI or did I miss the update on him? Any news?

• savethepuck says:

I think we are supposed to get a report from MT after practice tomorrow.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• mrhabby says:

Was reading tsn home pages on last night’s game….some commentators were hearing that Emelin is gone for year with an
      ACL tear.

56. Propwash says:

Just read the comment section in the Boston article…

Timo, did you make multiple accounts and go on a rampage over there? If so, noice job!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• YOWHabsFan says:

I’ve actually done something resembling that on the NESN website, it got pretty intense……

• Da Hema says:

ljappserv
      04/07/2013 06:52 AM

P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C spells this group of Boston Bruins. It is simply mind numbing how a team can go 1 minute with a 6 on 4 down a goal at the end of a game and not ATTEMPT one shot on goal. And the amount of turnovers by a host of Bruins was equally disturbing as well as their lack of skating, and what appeared to be lack of desire. For the first time in many years, I am embarrassed to call myself a Boston Bruins fan!

ljappserv is “Evil Timo,” his Bruins’ counterpart!

• Timo says:

No bro, I am making meatballs and sipping some Pinot Noir. HIO is probably the only site where I post.

57. YOWHabsFan says:

I’m surprised that there was no retaliation for Lucic’s hit on Emelin

58. habzfan2003 says:

Stars just beat Sharks in a shootout and Predators drop down to 3rd last in the Conference.. Hopefully Blackhawks can beat the preds again tonight.

59. Stevie.Ray says:

I think we are all happy to know that as of last night, we are guaranteed to finish higher than 28th!

I guess just as coaches and GM’s perhaps get too much blame when they lose, it is easy to give too much credit when team plays well.

MB has done a great job changing accountability and attitude, MT appears to have brought in the right system, players like Gio and Markov are back from injury, while Prust, Ryder, Boullion and others have helped.

Everyone deserves credit for the turnaround.

61. JohnBellyful says:

I’m glad to see Eller could joke about his pulling down Chara with a little tug and still recognize the call “was probably fair enough.”
    It’s those kinds of plays that drive me up the wall, and I’m not singling out Eller for criticism, he was just the latest player to tempt fate and come out on the losing end. Thank goodness, his team fared better.
    I hate it when a player raps his stick against an opponent’s hip, hand, or leg, or grabs a player’s sweater cuz he’s too lazy or out of position to attempt a real body check or pokecheck.
    There’s no upside to these plays; for them to be effective, the first has to be done with violence, the second with a real tug, both of which warrant a penalty; but anything less in either instance is ineffectual so what’s the point of doing one or the other, unless you’re just begging the ref to hand you a penalty.
    And to do it deep in enemy territory when you’re protecting a lead at the other end… [shakes head]
    Lars is a much better player than that one play.

62. Sportfan says:

Chicago could clinch tonight that means we are pretty close to no?

63. We just got back from Winterpeg! My boy got his first taste of AA hockey and he loved it. The Junior Wheat Kings went 1-1-1, and Matthew was held pointless, but had many scoring opportunities, and didn’t look too out of place. He finished the house league with 17-19-36pts, I think he though he was going to have a cake walk, and no amount of my coaching could convince him until after the game. I said “fast isn’t it”. He said “yeah”, as he sucked back the water, and said “fast”. He was speechless! What a fun weekend. I miss Winnipeg.

Missed most of the Bruins game last night. Caught the last three minutes of complete shut down hockey. Sounds like the team played a complete 60 minutes and great goaltending (no surprise there).

Nice to see everyone getting along here today, remove the weeds and flowers will grow.

My favourite comment after quickly surfing this forum….
    HabFanSince72
    April 7, 2013 at 3:39 pm
    And if Nashville continue their slide we could get picks 30-31-32.

Man oh Man that is exciting if it works out. Trevor Timmins the scouting genius, will be picking some great stuff this summer.

OK time to unpack, and feed the boy :) Maybe I should have done that first :lol:

Bruins? Jagr? Bah there was never any doubt!

CAREY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

64. NTTIAWWT says:

Jack Todd may not be everyone’s cup of tea but kudos to him for an intelligent write-up on coach Therrien. Partnered with his executive team, Bergevin has done some great things to get the Habs to the position they are in. Jack is correct in outlining what the coach (and his staff) has done with what they’ve started with, been given and making into a surprisingly strong and solid team. I’d argue that the comparison to CHI, PIT and ANA having stars and Montreal not is maybe a season or two away from changing. I would suggest that other GMs might think that Price, Subban, Galchenyuk and maybe Gallagher/Pacioretty are budding and soon to bloom stars in the making.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I’m the minority I’m sure but I love reading Todd’s stuff. He tells it like it is and doesn’t mince words.

• Lafleurguy says:

Count me “in the minority.” For more than a decade, I read Mr. Todd and Mr. Fisher to get a “feel” of how the team was doing in those years (80′s and 90′s) and they came through. Went to one game courtesy of my uncle in the Montreal Forum in 1970 (Les Binkley played goal for the Penguins), but have always felt strongly attached to Les Boys, and in no small part courtesy of the hard-working Gazette reporters.

“May you live in interesting times.”

65. Storman says:

Fans looked like they were forced into attendance at Florida vs Ottawa game, more noise and enthusiasm at a high school hockey game.

66. YOWHabsFan says:

Hey guys, I’ve been a fan of this sight for a few years, but this is my first post.

All I have to say right now is that I am utterly amazed by how well the Habs have played so far this season. I would have liked it if MB had brought in some gritty players like Matt Martin who would serve us well in the postseason, but so far the boys seem to be staying afloat quite well (knock on wood).

I hope we can go far in the playoffs, particularly if we have to endure a seven game series with Toronto, Pittsburgh or Boston.

67. This Guy says:

Don’t know if this was already posted…. but this could’ve sucked

68. Cal says:

Another legendary sportscasting voice is silenced. RIP, Johnny Esaw.