Sunday a day of rest for Habs

The Canadiens were given the day off Sunday after losing 1-0 to the New York Rangers Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens will practise at 11 a.m. Monday in Brossard as they prepare to face the Minnesota Wild Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690). After that, the Canadiens will play Friday night in Washington before facing the Pittsburgh Penguins Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

The Wild has a 9-1-1 record in its last 11 games, including a 4-3 win over the Canadiens on Nov. 1 in St. Paul. The game will be a homecoming for the Wild’s Torrey Mitchell, the pride of Greenfield Park. The Wild has two other Quebecers on its roster, forward Jason Pominville of Repentigny and defenceman Marco Scandella of Montreal, who is the nephew of former Canadien Sergio Momesso.

Saturday’s loss dropped the Canadiens to fifth place in the Atlantic Division after the Columbus Blue Jackets surprised Ottawa on Sunday afternoon, beating the Senators 4-1. The Canadiens are clinging to one of the two playoff wild-card berths in the Eastern Conference.

The Canadiens rank 21st in the NHL in goals scored with an average of 2.43. They have a 4-5-2 record in their last 11 games, during which they ahve scored only 18 goals, an average of 1.63 per game.  The Canadiens matched a season-low Saturday with 22 shots on goal against the Rangers.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Another listless offensive effort, by Pat Hickey

Desharnais weighed down by big contract, by Jack Todd

Memorable night for Rangers goalie, by Dave Stubbs

Habs vs. Rangers photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Rangers look to ride momentum after beating Habs, NHL.com

Price, Budaj go head-to-head in Foosball (video), Canadiens.com

1. Bill says:

I have always questioned compulsive line juggling, but it is SOP for coaches it seems. Can’t remember the last Habs coach who had consistent lines, but it may have been Demers.

What’s wrong with setting some lines and letting the players develop chemistry and knowledge of each other’s play? Serious question from a hockey non-genius to all of you.

2. Maksimir says:

Surprised no one has commented on Diaz-Boullion pairing?

3. adamkennelly says:

habs lines: Bourque-Plek-Gio, Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust, Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher, Bournival-Briere-Moen.

hahahahah – MT is like a Bantam house league coach…

• Timo says:

Well… on a bright side there is only 1 3/4 seasons left of Therrien. And hopefully of Bergevin too.

• krob1000 says:

I actually like this…very, very much. This is the 4 line approach I have wanted …is this actually happening? This is great new….what were the pairings? It may take a while to find the rioght mix but the approach is what the depth filled but superstar deprived habs lineup is best suited for IMO.

I see that the love for Therrien and Bergevin just grows and grows with each passing day. Fantastic.

5. Phil C says:

That Emelin hit on Kreider really made me nervous. It could have been knee to knee again very easily. Is there something wrong with how he approaches players that way? It’s like he is leading with his knee, or something. When Subban, who is a natural rightie, hits players coming down the boards, he leads with his right shoulder, while Emelin leads with his left shoulder. When Diaz hits, he leads with…never mind.

I wonder if Emelin would he have the same problem on the left side? I suspect he would be more comfortable over there, but they seem hell bent on putting him back on the right.

• Say Ash says:

PK leads with his right butt-cheek.

• Mattyleg says:

I hate that ‘backing-up’ check.
        Players can see it coming from a mile away, it takes PK out of the action, and leads to flailing about that can result in elbowing/high-sticking/headbutting/stick-throwing penalties.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Timo says:

It made me nervous too but it was probably good for Emelin’s psychy. Hopefully next hit will land an opponent on their ass.

• Forum Dog says:

I was actually thinking about this after watching that hit as well. Made me wonder if, being a LH shot, Emelin wants to lead with his left shoulder (the one he can fold his arm under and make a good point of impact). If so, it means that he is facing the boards and coming across his own body to make the hit, which is not ideal and, in some cases, could open him up to awkward hits and injuries. Thought at the time that him on the left side with Diaz on the right might be a good pairing.

• krob1000 says:

This is why I would prefer Mrarkov-Diaz, Pk-Emelin I think right now…never would have thought that before but Diaz strong play so far IMO has earned him a shot for top 4 minutes. Playing with MArkov I know they are undersized but they are the two best checkers with their sticks and are both the smartest positional D the team has. This too would result on everyone on their correct side except the defensive guys…who aren;t into the quick transition game anyway. Play the Gorges paring with the least offensively inclined lien as much as possible and jsut play even hockey …the other two should be good enough.

• Cal says:

Wait until you see Diaz and Markov try to clear the puck. Then, the fun begins.

• krob1000 says:

They play together on the PK rather effectivley against other teams top guys and down a man just fine…something tells me they would be ok at even strength. Any pair with Andrei MArkov will be fine at 5 on 5. Last years Markov? ,aybe not but this year he is pretty close to the old Andrei again….he can easily play with Diaz successfully.

6. Ali says:

DD on the line with Patches, despite having no goals this season, and Briere who’s played well at center since coming back demoted to 4th line? What the hell is going on?

• Steeltown Hab says:

Nothing makes sense, DD with Pacioretty Gallagher now.

And for some Reason we have Prust with Eller Galch? Why not Bourque?

Than Bourque with Plek and Gio. Why not Bournival who when with them was the only close we’ve had to a good line outside of EGG this yr.

Then Briere Moen Bournival is the 4th? Like no line has a identity.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Cal says:

MeriTocracy at work.

• Maksimir says:

I don’t care about the forward lines… what scares me is Diaz-Boullion as third pairing… put Murray in ffs and sit Bou!

7. Steeltown Hab says:

Pacioretty – DD – Gallagher together at practice…..just absolutely anything to make Desharnais look good.

Prust with Eller Galchenyuk lol…..Bournival 4th line.. No No Therrien knows what he’s doing…maybe he does but I’m questionning whether the goal is winning or justifying to DD contract
    ———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

8. habs-hampton says:

Is there any truth to the rumor that that the over/under on Habs goals tonight is set at 0?

9. krob1000 says:

Crack the Egg and Divide the dynamic duo. Best solution of offense generation available. FOr the one millionth time and only be ause I need a place to vent (not because I believe I am influencing the team…is that ok now?) splitting PK and MArkov and the Egg line would create the most offense. I have wanted some grit on upper lines and actually thought Prust did ag reat job filling in and was very goo dint hat role but if they insist on not doing that there are other solutions.
    Sometimes when play gets stagnant the best thing to do is organzied chaos and have players play with new linemates…it forces them to move their feet, be ultra aware and play simple. IT may not be a long term soltuion but oculd lead to one but at the very least a change normally causes players to get pucks, deep, forecheck , get pucks to the net, go to the net,etc.

Mix things up starting with the d pairs and egg line would be the first step IMO.

• Eddie says:

I agree. Split Markov and Subban, let Subban join the rush and attack more often, move Galchenyuk to his own line and play him at center where he will handle the puck more.

The more Subban and Galchenyuk have the puck, the more likely we score.

I think the concept of dividing the dynamic duo can only happen once Emelin is completely comfortable and back in game shape. To do this early i think we only weaken a couple of pairings. I would like to see it tried.

• krob1000 says:

I think I would prefer to see Markov with Diaz actually and Emelin with PK. This keep the L?R thing in balance…Diaz has proven to be an effective mintue eater and is better defensively than many though. Both Markov and Diaz are as cerebral dmen as they come…I think they could work. Markov and Emelin would be a pair noone would wanat to cross theb lueline against. Then you have another pair anchored by Gorges…and whichever partner they go with whether it is Murray or Bouillon.
        BOth pairing of Markov and DIaz and PK eEmelin would still be very effective IMO.
        I know they will opt for Emelin Markov and then PK gets someone to stay at hom..but I think Diaz has emerged as the top 4 guy…not Gorges. I think having Emelin on the left would be ideal though
        The pairing of GOrges and BOuillon/Murray is likely going to be an off the galssand out pairing anyways so you could have them p,ay with the 4th line if the team insists on going on that route.
        Having PK or Markov on the ice with Diaz and Emelin instnatly enhances the offesnive ability of any line….as it stands when t a top line palys with a piar other than Markov/Subbban they become offesnively challenged. So much of offense is generated by the first pass, passes through the neutral zone, gaining the blue line and once in the zoen having to respect the point either leaves room down low or if a team collapses you have pinpoint laymakers like Markov or Pk to dissect teh d. I really don;t get the PK/MArkov pairing….anyone can see they will ahve success together but is that best for the team as a whole? I strongly disagree it is…same as with the Egg line…I belive they need to be split as well. OF course they too will have games they lok great together…they are 3 really good players. But again, spitting hem I belive would generate more offense for the team….maybe not for them as individuals…but defientely for the team

• Forum Dog says:

I’m gonna agree with this. Galchenyuk can make things happen on his own. How about:

Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Gionta
      Pacioretty – Eller – Gallagher
      Prust – Briere – Bournival
      Moen – Desharnais – White/Bourque/Parros

Markov – Subban
      Gorges – Emelin
      Murray – Diaz

10. habsfan0 says:

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford will be interviewed by Anderson Cooper of CNN tonight at 8pm.
    During the interview,Ford will make the following claims:
    1)He is not a crack addict.
    2)He is not an alcoholic.
    3)The Toronto Maple Leafs will win the Stanley Cup in 2014.
    4)He can solve the Kennedy assassination.

Claim number 3 is really stretching it.

I believe he did that interview along with an interview on Fox News on the weekend. It is rumoured that in one of these interviews he mentions another little goal of his. To run for the office of Prime Minister of Canada. Now finally we could have a PM who can represent!!!

• Strummer says:

I would be more interested if Anderson Cooper interviewd Marc Bergevin or Michel Therrien or even Josh Gorges for that matter

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

11. jrs10069 says:

Who do we offer for Evander Kane? Would you send Max P to the peg for him? Would Win go for it?

jrs10069

• Mattyleg says:

I would offer DD straight up for Kane.

Then when Cheveldayoff says “no,” the Habs happily continue their lives without Evander Kane.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

It would be tough to let go of Pacioretty but I believe Kane would be a an upgrade. Same goal potential but Kane hits, fights and charges to the front of the net. It would probably also take a bit more than just Pacioretty.

I love Max, and a year ago I wouldn’t of considered the trade. I understand the concept of moving Max for Evander. However, (yup I have a big BUT coming) before I would start moving a player like Max, I would like to hope that the Mgmt. are absolutely confident that their present coaching staff is getting the most they can out of Max.

I didn’t like the hiring of MT, but I tried to understand why it perhaps was the best move at the time. I really do believe he is a placeholder and that this is his final year as coach. I would still be much more inclined to make moves this year which move out older veterans, and this coming offseason and into next season i would begin adding pieces like a Kane.

Of course I also would like to see world peace, I would like to see cable companies lower their monthly cable fees and more importantly I would like to see a reduction in beer prices.

• Eddie says:

Hobie, you can forget about Kane. Since he killed his brother in the desert, he doesn’t pass the Bergevin litmus test for character.

Also i dont think he could play for Therrien.

I would trade much more than most people to land Kane, who would score goals and make this team much tougher to play against.

• Luke says:

Heh Heh heh.

I also think that Kane enjoys an active, some may say public and irresponsible, social life in the ‘Peg and those may be compounded in Montreal.

Imagine if he was a Hab and he tweeted the ‘stacks of cash’ photo…

• Mattyleg says:

That’s kind of what I was getting at above.
            PK and Kane on the same team would cause Montreal Sport Media to immediately turn into a black hole and suck the universe in on itself.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• jrs10069 says:

He’s a prick with an attitude problem who wants out. Doesn’t that make him “cheap?”

I would make a move…Max P + Moen and any picture from the wall in the dressing room for Kane. Done.

jrs10069

12. Eddie says:

Jason Pominville is a terrific hockey player. 12 goals already this season, a leader, a 200 foot player, who makes his team better.

It took balls for Minnesota to trade for Pominville last season.

Turns out, it was a move that is paying off for them big time.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, Pominville is a true ass-biter.
      Always hurt us in Buffalo, and I was happy to see him go West, but it turns out that we have to play the guy twice this year anyway.

Ughhh….

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Your right about what it took, I thought they overpaid for him, but once again more proof why i am not an NHL GM.

Funny thing about Minnesota, I think many people thought they were crazy for those contracts to Suter and Parise. I think they are proof that if you are going to overpay for a player, just ensure it is for a great player. Both Parise and Suter appear to be exactly those kinds of players. Cornerstones for that franchise, and they still found cap room for a player like Pominville. I am not saying they will win Cup this year, but their team it appears to be on the way up.

13. stevieray says:

So Therrian says the DD,Bourque,Pacs line was the best line against the Rangers …if that being the case we are in Big Trouble !…how long does MT with directions from MB Iimgine , continue to prop up this line and the Pleks line before he realizes the Eller line is the # 1 line ..they hustle and attack on every play and are a joy to watch , especially after the other 2 lines had been on …it seems many of the players on the first 2 lines just don’t play hard ,,,,skate hard I’ll give you that but playing hard with emotion is missing …
    I thought having the Eller line on the bench in the last minute of Sat. nites game was a insult to all those in attendance and all of us watching on TV… A what about Bournival …what the heck is the message he’s being sent . Nothing like breaking the kid’s confidence . It’s time MT and MB realize that the Eller line and Burnival are the 4 players who can ” get in done “… before it’s too late . Maritime Ron had a interesting post on our 5 on 5 scoring inability ..guess who were the 4 players who lead the team in that category …yup the 4 , I mentioned ..
    nuff said Partner

The above post should pass all standards required on HI/O. I tried to keep this post as impartial as possible.

15. Max_a_million says:

What should our fan site be if we are not considering what trades are imaginable, what lineups we would like, trying to guess how many goals our heroes will score, who we want in Hamilton, whether a move by Michel Therrien is bad or good, whether a move by Marc Bergevin is bad or good. It’s all part and parcel with loving our team. We have thoughts and ideas. What would we do if it was all ‘they know so much more than us we shouldn’t be critical’. They aren’t perfect. They make mistakes. At some point we will all want them fired, and be happy when it happens. Some players will be developed and deployed wrong, and flourish somewhere else. It will happen.
    That’s what being a fan is.
    Otherwise we are swapping cooking recipes, and sending each other links for discount foam fingers. I think that happens on another site. Take it in stride for what it is. Fans are after all short for fanatics.
    Cheers ;-)

16. scotland says:

sp… clash

17. scotland says:

btw, love the picture of joe.

the clach .. “the only band that matters”

18. rhino514 says:

Clearly something REAL should be done to increase scoring in the NHL.
    Bottom line is if 5 big lugs plus a goalie block a small net and are disciplined about it, ain´t nothin gonna get thru dat.

• Phil C says:

I have suggested in the past that you should only be allowed to lie on the ice or go down on a knee to block a shot if you are a goalie. Shot blocking used to be a specialty, now everyone does it and it does not make the game better, IMO. It is also dangerous for players the way they can shoot now, it ended Ian Laperierre’s career.

19. scotland says:

wild are one hot team right now. and they are not giving up many goals either. but they can score when they need to obviously.

habs were shut out on sat night in their own barn…..by the rangers! down 1-0 in their own rink with 55 minutes to tie it up and they did not even come close.

as i said in sept……habs will battle for last and secure a top 5 pick.

how did leaf fans do this for so many years?