Suivant! Next!

No confirmation from RDS, but the blogosphere is buzzing with the not-unexpected news that Benoit Brunet is toast.

Question for the Commentariat:

Who would you like to see/hear providing complementary analysis/colour to Pierre Houde’s play-by-play?

Yvon Pedneault redux?

Joel Bouchard?

Bob Hartley?

Guy Carbonneau?

Mario Tremblay?

Discuss.

* CapGeek has launched a FAQ

* David Perron signs for two years. $1.8 million and $2.5 million. A sane second contract for a star-to-be.

* Clarke MacArthur got $2.4 million in arbitration, and Atlanta is walking away. So he’s a UFA.

* More two-year deals: Nick Foligno in Ottawa, Patrick Kaleta in Buffalo

B0W98HQYgPA

1. db says:

The league did nothing wrong, this time..  Maybe they allowed some questionable contracts but 17 years. Cmon.  Lou even said this was an organizational decision, and that he would vote against this next CBA if he could.

Basically, in this case Lou’s job was player/risk assessment and nogotiating for an owner…. IMO

2. K-hab25 says:

Max was drafted before he ever played a game for Michigan.

3. pic1983 says:

22 years old, comes from the USHL and US college.  Generally takes those types of players a little longer to develop IMO.  I would give him at least a full season or two in the ahl before writing him off.

It’s starting to become alarming how many first round picks we are writing off.  The insistence in drafting US college committed players in the first round is killing me.  We need a few actual hockey players in our pipeline, not just scholars IMO!  Either that, or we really are the worst talent developing team in the NHL.

4. andrewberkshire says:

Err… Bugs, en Francais svp.

5. Bill J says:

How about Gaston “y’reste une chose” Therrien

When the guy says “But there’s this ONE thing” about 20 times in a sentence, man I wanna poke my ears with pencils!

6. derfab says:

Just shows you what kind of a-holes manage and coach top level minor hockey.

character is derfab destiny.

7. derfab says:

If cute means: big, strong, smooth skater with a wicked shot, Pacs is cuter and the right choice over Perron. He will be a reliable 30 goal man soon. Give him a chance to grow some whiskers!

character is derfab destiny.

8. Bob Barker says:

That’s cool. Good for him. Perseverance in the face of adversity.

9. ZepFan2 says:

Hmm, the ‘John Madden’ commentary style, in hockey.

Why not, Cole is still doing whatever he’s doing. I say go for it, Bugs.

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

10. mike g says:

With the League…

He’s the NHL stepping in, a league that’s never done anything right out of fear of losing fans, telling Lou that he can’t have what he wants. And Lou always got what he wanted.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

11. Mike Boone says:

I think Max-Pac is on the clock. Starting to get “bust” vibes off this guy.

12. twocents says:

‘Uncle Lou must be furious now.’

With whom?

13. mike g says:

I have no idea…

All I know is whichever team signs him will gain alot of haters. I for one will cheer against whichever team he signs with, and I was quite alright with hating the Devils even more than I already do.

This whole Kovalchuk saga started off with some excitement. Then, 2 days after July 1st people starting getting fed up. A week after July 1st, it was extreamly annoying. Then when he finally signed yesterday, most people didn’t even care anymore. Now the deals been nixed, and seriously I really don’t think anyone cares about this guy anymore.

I thaught his deal would be a crutial factor in determining this UFA crop. Now, I think GM’s will say “f-u” Kovalchuk, and go ahead building their teams.

I said it a few weeks ago that this whole saga was rediculous, and the greedy Russian should just go back to Russia. Alot of real hockey fans have lost a ton of respect for him, and it may sound crazy to say it, but the Devils organization looks very stupid now.

And nobody has ever made them look stupid. The Devils have always looked like a model franchise, rarely making big mistakes. Uncle Lou must be furious now.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

14. puck face says:

forget the stats , you just think he’s cute.

15. PuckBuddy says:

Boone,

No doubt looking back on it that Perron is better but do you think Max Pac can turn into the PWF he was touted to be? If he can add 15-20 lbs on his 198lb frame he might be able to compete harder. I felt he got tossed around last season too often and needed to work on his balance.

Matt

16. Bugs says:

“As you can see here on the replay, Reggie, this guy is skatin on the ice with the puck on his stick. And see, when he gets to the line, he’s confronted with the choice of whether or not to make that play. And he decides to make it. He passes it to this guy and the puck is in the net. That’s a SET play, Reggie. Putting the puck in the net. And winning. And as you can see on the monitor, the defender CLEARLY wasn’t winning properly.”

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

17. Say Ash says:

Mike Keane

18. krob1000 says:

Don Cherry! He doesn’t speak English either so language is not an issue.

19. twocents says:

How long will the Kovy Kontroversy drag out?

Will it be resolved before the season starts?

Will it be a preliminary backdrop to what we can expect in 2012?

20. ed lopaz says:

1st year Midget, Perron played Midget C !!!

he had a troubled home, and the organisations in his area had pretty much “black balled” him.

“His progression has been impressive because, less than three years before playing his first NHL game, he was still playing at the Midget C level in his hometown of Fleurimont”

21. eyhp says:

My vote goes to Joel Bouchard.

22. pic1983 says:

Watch him play and you will understand.  The idea that we took maxpac before this kid considering our team is based in QUEBEC is unreal.  I mean, I have personally watched him play when he was in Junior AAA with the panthers on a few occasions.  Are you telling me our scouts didnt see his talent in our home province of Quebec, but saw maxpacs talent playing for US college?  The habs insistence on drafting out of US college, or committed to US college in the first round is driving me nuts.

Great story this kid too.  Got called up to AAA St-Jerome Panthers because his older brother played for them. They needed an emergency call-up, and he ended up sticking with them.  I think there was some politics as to why he wasnt playing at that level.  In the end, the Q scouts noticed him and lewiston drafted him the following season, and than after a great year with lewiston, St-Louis drafted him 24th overall (maybe not 24 but somewhere in that area, right after maxpac).  I had no idea what had happened with him after St-Jerome, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw him drafted by St-Louis.

23. mbplekfan says:

If by xmas PK is performing at the level we expect and racking up points and making exciting rushes will all other GMs in the league start comparing their 2nd rounders to him?  Thus making BG look like a genius.

24. CBrady12 says:

LOL funny, I know there hasnt been any hockey for a few months, but from what I remember, you don’t really see the colour guys hands very much since the camera is broadcasting the game on the ice.

25. CBrady12 says:

No way!!! he is the most boring, annoying announcer ive ever heard!!! Not only that, he knows NOTHING about hockey!! Him and Murray Wilson are the only two people capable of putting me to sleep while listening to a hockey game…you wanna hear good play by play, listen to ckac, the guy is so into the game, its awesome. Team 990 should have the rights the the habs games CJAD BLOWS!!!!

26. Danno says:

Mister Lahey.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

27. Bryan says:

Not saying the kid’s a bad player by any means, but he also has comparable stats to AK46 during that age.  I just think it’s way too premature to call him a “star to be”

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

I vote for Bugs.

29. Mike Boone says:

No infatuation, but the kid is from Montreal and he can play: 225 GP in thgree seasons, 48 goals, 76 assists. Comparable stats for Max Pacioretty, who was drafted ahead of Perron: 86 GP, 6 g, 19 a.

30. waisguy says:

Breezer.

31. Bugs says:

I like Hartley.

I would love him if he didn’t say the word ”certes” all the time.

32. Bugs says:

Dany Dube. A most excellent, level-headed commentator. Knows the terms, is fully aware of different strategies employed and can identify who is doing what right or wrong on the ice, doesn’t search for words, and doesn’t talk to his audience like they were amateurs, thereby lookin like one himself (which, imo, was Brunet’s greatest failing. oooohh, THAT’S a “puck”; thanks, benoit).

I also like La Zone’s Gerard Gagnon. Old-time, Russian-style mathematical theory in positioning players. You’re either doing it right or wrong. Make that play! I love it. Also Rene Pothier, calm and collected, and like me, considers the psychological card as the actual 6th man to be employed as a weapon with the same precision as one would afford the PP. … They’re all good on La Zone actually. But those two stick out. Especially Gerard. Love that guy.

And hey, I’m free too. Here’s a taste:

“Look at that guy! He done gone all did somethin he wasn’t suppoed ta and that guy skated right around’m and done gone scored! See, he was supposed to stop that guy and he didn’t and the other guy had to make that play and he did. And now, these guys are winnin and these guys are losin. That’s hockey!”

33. Bryan says:

Don’t quite understand Boone’s infatuation with Perron.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

34. Habfan29 says:

Yvon Pedneault , Bouchard’s hands are really annoying and Carbo is just plain boring.

35. aemarchand11 says:

If there was an English Habs Station, Rick Moffat from CJAD sould be the Play by Play

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

36. aemarchand11 says:

CBC with Carbo, Cole and that other doofus was the worst crew EVER.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

37. Danno says:

PJ Stock!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

38. dh says:

Joel Bouchard or Carbo.

39. Thomas Le Fan says:

I’ll take Joel. Death is too good for Mario <spit> Trembles.

40. bel33 says:

Very true… I know a number of English only Habs fans here in Toronto who get the “French package” with Rogers just to get RDS.

You can’t beat every Habs game in HD!  Hell.. I don’t know if the Maple Loafs even get that kind of coverage!

41. namgel says:

Celine Dion and Jacques “The Cock” Grande

42. ZepFan2 says:

Joel Bouchard.

————————————————————————-

- Steven Tyler

43. bel33 says:

What about you Mr. Boone?

And anyone accept Bob Hartley….

44. The Beer Guy says:

Dave Stubbs! Enough people across Canada watch RDS for Habs games they would make alot more money if it was bilingual.

You’re going to love my nuts!

45. DearyLeary says:

About damn time.  I’d like Hartley or Carbo, personally.

46. alestar says:

BTW, that video is hilarious…Brunet is such a pompous tool.

Hard to believe he managed to be a worse commentator than player…its not like he didn’t spend enough time in the press box during his career!

XXIV…and counting

47. W35T5ID3 says:

claude quenneville

48. G-Man says:

Carbo needs a job and he’s probably pi$$ed enough to take it. Good money- no stress. No more ay-yi-yis!

49. avatar_58 says:

I don’t speak french so….

50. G-Man says:

GM Lou was quoted. It sounded like he was against this type of deal.

51. SmartDog says:

Does anyone happen to know if Jacques Martin ever had a house in Saint-Sauveur.  We just moved here and I just went to the mailbox and got a promo flyer addressed to him.  Or is Jacques Martin the equivalent of John Smith in English?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Got 16 results in the greater Montreal area so there’s a 6.25% percent chance you’re going to have SK ordering pizzas to your house.

53. The Cat says:

Yeah thats probably a pretty common name.

Oh no! What is going to happen to Halifax without you Dog?? No more trips to the dog park or Signal Hill.?

55. Bugs says:

There’s nothing wrong with biasness, my pappy always said, as long as you don’t allow it to influence you. He also taught me to not become obsessed with my infatuations and to despise all forms of intolerance. That wisdom, in turn, has allowed me to become the humblest guy in the world.

It’s that type of unassailable objectivity we need in sports commentating today, in my MOST humble opinion.

56. twocents says:

Full agreement there.

btw, “enthusiasm for Gauthier” is overstating it. I am just saying I wasn’t anticipating liking his moves. Still don’t like him much, but he’s been astute so far, imo.

57. christophurrr says:

well put!

58. twocents says:

That’s good.

But do me a favour, Bill. Don’t be rude to Ms. JT no more, alright?

We are lucky to have her popping back in here now and again. I’d like to see the frequency increase.

Trust me, she can put a good learning on all of us.

59. Bill J says:

I totally miss-read that post.

My bad… I apologized :)

I love J.T.  I always visit her site along with Robert L and Mike Boone’s on a daily basis.

61. twocents says:

Cool.

Happy Birthday!

62. Mark C says:

I think Conboy made Stewart pretty redundant in Hamilton.

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Conboy, the Bonnette signing for HAM and the acquisition of Ian Schultz.

64. Habs fan in SF says:

oh right conboy. forgot about him. the habs just need a guy who can just go nuts and have huge balls (sorry to use the term “balls” so much, but i guess it just seems to fit right). this team lacks balls. nobody sticks up for anyone. players get banged around and nobody steps in and takes care of business cuz they’re either too scared or they just don’t care about their teammate getting spanked around. i like lapierre when he plays good, but someday he’s gonna have to back up his yapper. i’m a fan of his, but sometimes i even get annoyed. this franchise is too wanting to protect their image and be gentlemen. aaargh!

65. alestar says:

I like Eric Neilson…he’s totally psycho! Check out his profile pic on the Bulldogs roster page:

He was great in the pre-season last year for the Habs, he hit absolutely everything that moved.

XXIV…and counting

66. riazp says:

easy…$$$$

67. Bill J says:

Must be PG & BG’s fault.

68. Exit716 says:

You could subscribe to Centre Ice through Rogers or Bell.

Then you can get the visiting team feeds of Habs games en Anglais.

Mind you, you’ll be stuck with the hyper-ventalating Jack Edwards on NESN, but that’s the price you have to pay,.

69. Habs Fan in Oil Country says:

LMAO

70. Exit716 says:

Actually it’s a conspiracy of the cable companies and the local broadcasters as orchestrated by the CRTC.

71. jimmy shaker says:

Why did Pedneault jump to CBC in the first place? Did something happen with RDS?  I liked him….  And I know that Brunet is a big jabroni and everything but what is the reason for his departure?  Any official word?

Shaker

72. Bill J says:

I “think” he was let go by RDS.

But don’t quote me on that.  Just seems to me that was how it went down.

73. likehoy says:

pedneault spent about half his broadcast talking about nonsense and not adding to the game…he often just made pierre houde laugh and mess up the calling of the game.

he was not worse than brunet…but his time was up!

74. Big Ted says:

Happy that Brunet is hitting the road, although this is not new news. There was a rumor leaked right after the playoffs that the Habs were not going to bring him back and that Joel Bouchard was the heir apparent. I also dislike Bouchard, so for me, it’s out of the frying pan and into the fire. I really liked Yvon Pedneault when he seconded Pierre and I think they made a good team. He would be my first choice to bring back, although I don’t think the Habs will do this. It would be nice to see them go out and get someone with some actual insider knowledge and who doesn’t feel inclined to suck up to the league half the time. Pierre has always been very good at being objective most of the time, but at the same time, he is not afraid of calling out the refs or the league when they do something unjust. Brunet never had the guts to do that on any kind of consistent basis.

As for Bieksa, I would give one giant pass at a contract his size, for a guy who is essentially a number 3 defenceman at best, especially with 20 million already invested in 4D. I’d much rather have Tinordi, who might be the big guy with an edge we haven’t had in a long time. If we take on Bieksa, Spacek better be going back the other way, but given the Canucks cap situation, that isn’t going to happen.

75. TripleX says:

Statement from Lou Lamoriello

Wednesday, 07.21.2010 / 4:55 PM / News
    New Jersey Devils

Newark, NJ – New Jersey Devils President/CEO/General Manager Lou Lamoriello today issued the following statement in response to the National Hockey League’s rejection of the team’s contract with Ilya Kovalchuk:

“We are extremely disappointed that the NHL has decided to reject the contract of Ilya Kovalchuk.  The contract complies with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.  We will have no further comment until the process outlined in the CBA is complete.”

I am really confused.  I thought Lou was not happy with the whole deal from some of his earlier statements.

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

76. likehoy says:

well it’s kind of like how you really hate going out for dinner with a certain friend, but you still do.

just cause you don’t like it, doesn’t mean you won’t do it.

lou didn’t like the idea of the contract he gave…cause it doesn’t make sense for the league, but he did it anyways cause he has the opportunity to…he’s going to argue it cause hossa, savard, and pronger each have similar deals.

77. aemarchand11 says:

Somebody eluded to toughness earlier, a perfect addition would be a guy like Ben Eager. He has smartened up since his days in Philidelphia, can fight and can put the puck in the net from time to time. RFA with Atlanta, but he would be a solid fit on the bottom two units. I dont know if we really have any roster space though, he would be roughly 1Milion id say.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

78. SlovakHab says:

Chris Pronger deal, while similarly constructed, is a 35+ contract (according to capgeek), so he will stay on Philly’s cap even if he retires.

(this is not to contradict what you said, just a little side note)

79. HabFanSince72 says:

This whole CBA cap stuff is incredibly geeky.

This is hockey. Not baseball.

80. crabvader says:

Golf clap for Rick Dudley.

Clarke MacArthur… 2.4 mil/per

HAH!

Good one letting him go Ricky.

It’s about time a GM puts his foot down and doesn’t award a ridiculous contract to someone who doesn’t deserve it.

MacArthur’s highest point total is 31 points.

Why the heck would arbitration find that he is worth 2.4mil per?!?!

That would’ve been as stupid as offering 3mil/per to Colby Armstrong… Oh wait, someone did do that already…

81. The Cat says:

I never heard of him before.

82. mike g says:

Was drafted by the Sabres a few years back….

Had a solid AHL to NHL transition. Played some important roles with the Sabres, but they decided to trade him because he couldn’t fit in their already established top 6. So he went to Atlanta, played the remainder of last year.

Sure he’s only scored 31 points in 82 games, but trust me he’ll be a good player one day. I can see him as a 50-60 point player maybe, if he fully develops and plays in a system/team that allows him to be offensive. The only thing that hinders him is he’s under 6 feet.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

83. crabvader says:

Christopher Higgins redux.

84. The Cat says:

Pretty precise description, I have no further questions lol

85. andrewberkshire says:

Except Higgins is quite a bit bigger.

86. The Cat says:

Yann Denis hasnt been picked up I dont think. Hes a good little goalie who could break out if given the chance.

87. JIMVINNY says:

Higgins is not a big guy.  I’m 6’3″, and met him a several times here in calgary this spring, and I can easily look right over his head, which puts him around 5’11″.  Not all that thick, either.

88. crabvader says:

Higgins is 1 inch taller. Even then, barely.

89. mike g says:

Not really, alot better…

When Higgins was a Hab, I could never understand the hype for the guy. Sure he had tons of speed, but he was artificially used as a top 6 player. We plugged him there because we had nothing else. You’ve seen him exposed on our team, in NY and in CGY. He can be a solid and effective 3rd line player, but not much else. He’s not a natural goalscorer, and isn’t a passer. So how everyone saw him as a top 6 always puzzled me a little.

Clarke scored 16 and 17 goals with the Sabres at the ages of 23 and 24. Most people overlook that, because we get too hyped up with the 1st round draft picks like Tavares and Duschene. Well, you can thank TSN and all media outlets for that, because Clarke’s a good player. I’m not saying he will be better than those 2 guys I mentionned above, but he’ll be alot better than Higgins. Clarke scored those goals in Buff/ATL playing with almost nobody, and on teams based mostly on defense. The Sabres system is all about protecting Ryan Miller and winning close games. Guys like Connolly, Roy, and Vanek are constantly hurt or playing hurt. So for him to put up an average of 15 goals per year playing without Buffalo’s top 3 forwards, and in ATL without Kovy, you’ve gotta think theres some potential there.

Like I said, I don’t think he will ever be a star. But a team could benefit from him growing into a 20-25 goalscorer if used properly. A team like Detroit would probably pounce all over him if they had the room in the cap. He fits their system, and a 20-25 goalscorer at 2.4 mill is peanuts. Were paying AK 3.25 mill, and were getting less than that.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

90. Storm Man says:

If anyone here has Bell on ch 327 Unspoken Rules examining violence in hockey and the code players fight by.

91. yathehabsrule says:

Cammalleri news: Interview on the Fan590 today and a comment at the Canadian Open Pro-Am.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

92. The Cat says:

Is it me or does Cammalleri seek attention? We never see Gionta as much.

93. SmartDog says:

Could be.

But Cami says interesting things.  He has that whole colourful Italian-Jewish thing going. LOL  I’m half-serious… it’s a pretty interesting cultural mix and he seems like a blend of the two cultural styles – chatty and talkative but a real thinker too.  If I were a journalist, I’d seek him out.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

94. yathehabsrule says:

Has nobody suggested “Breezer” to join RDS, yet?

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

95. alestar says:

Hosted by BGL?

XXIV…and counting

96. yathehabsrule says:

He’s also out in more public events (golf tournaments) more often between Montreal and Toronto, thus more exposure.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

97. alestar says:

But he has those huge bags under his eyes, that’s why he looks so much bigger…

XXIV…and counting

98. Storm Man says:

No….. lmao

99. K-hab25 says:

Well part of the hype was the 72 goals he scored in his first 3 years, Macarthur has 40 in his first 3. They both are similar players, but Higgins, to me, is a better player. It’s just the poor guy has completely lost his confidence.

Signal Hill is in Halifax, unless I am wrong. I doubt it though, I ‘ve never been wrong before!! Andree says I’m perfect!

101. Kamal Panesar says:

Ohhh, good call. Carbo would also make a good addition. Personally, though, I still think Joel Bouchard is a natural fit.

Follow Kamal on HabsAddict.com, Facebook and Twitter

102. habs-hampton says:

Ian:

Signal Hill is in St. John’s, Newfoundland.

You were close though (sort of).

Could someone translate the clip for me please??? What is Jacques talking about?

104. habs-hampton says:

Cammy summers in Canada (where hockey is a year-round sport), while I imagine Gio is in the USA, where hockey season is over. He can hide in plain sight.

Thanks Scott! What do they call the Hill in Halifax ? where they have the cannon..   I sure know where Hampton N.B. is!

106. yathehabsrule says:

OK totally non-Habs, but pretty funny.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

107. habs-hampton says:

Citadel Hill.

Seems your right Kevin.  What do they call the hill in Halifax with the cannons on it. Or did the bulldoze it away??

109. habs-hampton says:

I gotta ask… How in the world do you know where Hampton is???

110. SmartDog says:

The Citadel.   It’s an old fortress you can even tour it.

Very cool. Halifax’s famous clock is there right on the side, and the noon cannon will scare the bejeezuz out of you if you don’t expect it.  Tourists always think it’s terrorists.

Just don’t go there at night.

——–
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

There! I was close, sounds the same with my old ears!!! Thank you.

Funny yes. Saw it a few days ago.

113. habsguy says:

I know what you mean Ian,  there are so many things stories I’d like to read here but they are only in french,  I’m a life long Hab fan stuck in toronto…I would make a bet that everyone speaks and reads english…

114. nightmare_49 says:

Ray Shero Talks About Building a Team in the Salary Cap Era / by Adam Gretz

“If you have money tied up in three or four guys, hopefully that means you’ve got three or four top players,” said Shero during a phone interview with FanHouse. “The worst thing you can do is have three or four guys tied up in big money contracts, but they’re not difference makers.

Read more: http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/07/21/ray-shero-talks-about-building-a-team-in-the-salary-cap-era/

115. yathehabsrule says:

That would be the Citadel

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

116. crabvader says:

What is this supposed to be? Troll bait? :P

117. punkster says:

He be OK. Much safer now that you’ve moved ;)

FREE TIMO!

118. crabvader says:

Lol, I replied to the wrong post, my bad.

119. crabvader says:

Just talking about how fans and fans at home watching are learning to appreciate the way Mike Komisarek plays.

(Obviously this was a couple of years ago).

Jacques stumbles while saying viewers at home (tele-spectateurs) and I guess Brunet found it funny.

As we could see, Jacques wasn’t laughing.

120. SmartDog says:

You mean from terrorists, the cannon, or the night stalkers?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

121. pmaraw says:

i think its ray shero making excuses for signing two guys for 17.4 million and not having a supporting cast, including losing gonchar

122. crabvader says:

All he needs is a top 6 winger, really.

I use to have my ranch in Salisbury N,B, 22yrs.

124. Habs fan in SF says:

watching the celtic / lisbon match at fenway. looks kinda cool. not liking jack edwards doing the play-by-play though. he sounds kinda different not being totally one-sided towards the bruins

I use to have my ranch in Salisbury N,B, 22yrs.

126. pmaraw says:

i would say top 3

127. punkster says:

Which role did you fulfill?

Hey, how are you enjoying Saint-Sauveur?

FREE TIMO!

Thanks Crabvader

129. Bugs says:

Ray Shero talks about building a team?

Step 1) Stink so bad you get a first-overall pick.

Step 2) Keep stinking another year until you get a num2 overall pick.

Step 3) Keep stinking until you get a num4 (Staal?) overall pick.

Step 4) Win the Crosby lottery.

That’s how to build a team, boy, I’ll tell ya. Thanks, Mr. Shero, for detailing the steps of your briliant team-building strategy.

You loser.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

SHOOT OUT to Dave The Old Punkster.

I am hoping to get to Brossard for training camp, we might hook up again.

131. SeriousFan09 says:

Then he could use another, and another, and maybe one more for good luck.

132. SeriousFan09 says:

I look forward to the next logical article in this series, Dale Tallon and managing the salary cap.

133. Exit716 says:

Gionta is from the Rochester NY area. That’s pretty close to Canada.

134. Malreg says:

Staal was 2nd overall, so in 5 years they had two 1st overall picks(Fleury, Crosby), two 2nd overall picks(Malkin, Staal), and one 5th overall(Ryan Whitney).

135. avatar_58 says:

Same goes for Chicago. Personally I’m tired of crap GMs getting pats on the back for choosing out of the TOP draft picks. Give me a break – no one CHOOSES a top 10 pick, they take what’s given to them at their current position. Regardless of what the scouts tell them.

I mean are we seriously going to pat a guy on the pack for “picking” Crosby, Ovechkin or Taylor Hall? I’m not.

136. Bill J says:

LOL – sorry Ian no disrespect – but too funny to not post, and I hope you see the humor in it as well.

SHOUT OUT… not SHOOT OUT…

1st is a “yelling” or “calling out”

2nd is gun’s aimed …. FIRE! lol

punkster, HIDE! Ian is hunting you down!

137. punkster says:

The Old Punkster? THE OLD PUNKSTER!!?? Just who do you think your dealing with here Ian?

Dat punkster he ain’t muddafuggin’ foolin’
    Been off to university to get his schoolin’
    Spent a good long time doin’ trumpet doodlin’
    Learned the bidness world by old school schoolin’
    Den he work for da man doin’ bidness foolin’
    Now he retired and he be chillin’ and coolin’
    But he ain’t no tool, uh-huh-uh-huh-ha
    No he ain’t no tool, uh-huh-uh-huh-ha
    No he ain’t no tool, uh-huh-uh-huh-ha
    (Repeat and fade)

(PS…look forward to seing you again :)

FREE TIMO!

138. Bill J says:

Of the “leadership” core of the team, Cammy is the only one who lives “here” …

He does love it, but I think that’s great.  He digs ALL that is Montreal.

;)

139. punkster says:

It’s cute though, isn’t it?

I ain’t no tool!

FREE TIMO!

Dito Buddy!

141. andrewberkshire says:

Break out at 30?

Appreciate!

143. nightmare_49 says:

Robert Nilsson signs with Yulaev ufa

As per Jay Gold, Robert Nilsson has signed with Salavat Yulaev Ufa. I wrote about his penchant for the marvelous previously and I will certainly miss his passing ability. He remains a top-notch talent without the game. When it comes down to it, he was done in by his penchant for disappearing and Kevin Lowe’s penchant for overpaying everybody.

Nikolai Khabibulin’s Trial Postponed Again / Copper & Blue

144. SmartDog says:

I’ll take terrorists for 100 Alex.

Sauveur is great.  What’s not to like?  Nice relaxing town, great cafes, lakes and skiing near by, the kids love it.  Still settling in (boxes everywhere) but we like the place.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

145. Bill J says:

What the Kovy2 deal SHOULD be

2010-11 -- $6 million
    2011-12 -- $6 million
    2012-13 -- $11.5 million
    2013-14 -- $11.5 million
    2014-15 -- $11.5 million
    2015-16 -- $11.5 million
    2016-17 -- $11.5 million
    2017-18 -- $10.5 million
    2018-19 -- $8.5 million
    2019-20 -- $6.5 million
    2020-21 -- $3.5 million

98.5 Million over 11 seasons. Basically the same $'s minus the 750K & all the 550K's that are obviously retirement $$

8.95$ Million per year Cap hit. Now do the Devils do that ?
  146. nightmare_49 says:

Bieksa? Souray? Would either fit with Ducks?  (Why not Hammer?) / by Eric Stephens

147. Bill J says:

Because Hammer has a NTC I believe.

and Spacek may have one as well … unsure.

148. ZepFan2 says:

Hey, Rodney Dangerfield did it after 40. Why not Yann at 30?

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

149. nightmare_49 says:

B J – Your correct, six teams i believe, but Hammer is no dummy and Anaheim a hell of a lot better than other eventual destinations and they are desperate for a top 4 D. If Gagne can lift his NTC anybody can. It’s about future.

150. Bill J says:

Oh I agree – not impossible.

Just a “step” that has to be handled…

Look everybody. I know Boone needs the hits to up his ad revenue scam in order to support his habit for cheap booze, easy women and other “pharmiceuticals” but seriously guys, and apparently an almost equal amount of girls, get a life and go do something. Come back when something happens. Leave these pages to Tony and his one line monologue with himself and his new found ability to log in with more than one account at a time a la Yeats. Call me when the puck drops or Price gets signed or traded or something.

152. Bill J says:

lol for me I’m on holidays, it’s been cool getting to know a few posters a bit better. :)

At least we are not all fighting…… yet. lol

153. J Haul says:

What a talent, that Shero….

Couldn’t agree any more bugs. I’m sick of these loser franchises always being rewarded and patted on the back.

154. chelios_24 says:

Thank god Brunet is gone. I stopped watching RDS cause of him….I got Nhl Centre Ice and started watching other teams…Wings..Ducks..Canucks…

I personally like Yvon Pednault. I think Guy Carbonneau is too mellow and Joel Bouchard talks too much.

155. Bill J says:

LOL you guys think we have smurfs ?

Muller created real smurfs, funny true story.

156. Bill says:

Hey Nightmare, as an English teacher I have to say that you have a real penchant for the word penchant. :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

157. Mr. Biter says:

I liked GS also , however lots of PIM’s in minors but no  where the same PIM’s with the Habs. We need a Chris Nilan type player.Knows his job is to protect our skill players and the odd goal helps. I remenber his first game vs Bruins. 2or 3 fights first period. You tube Chris Nilan and you see what we need.

158. twocents says:

I think that penchant, is Jay Gold’s penchant.

159. Bugs says:

Speakin of smurfs, a little blast from the past anybody?

Smurf Power.

160. sprague cleghorn says:

I wish that just once the Expos had won the penchant.

161. HabFanSince72 says:

Carbo, unfortunately, is not very fluent.

Brunet was likeable enough – I don’t understand the hate.

162. kernkraft says:

Why?

• The overuse of “incroyable”
    • The blatant hate for Andrei Kostitsyn
    • The obvious love for any Quebecer
    • The tendency to start laughing when things are going bad for the Habs
    • His ignorance when it comes to prospects

Good riddance, bring back Pednault

163. kempie says:

——————————————–the puck will drop on habs with 88 pts. and Gauthier & Gainey who would rather stand pat than improve the team. those too never one aneething. theire two old an traded away our mvp fir nothing.

—————————————————–rgis team one jist 47% uv they’re gams an syand pat in their 88 pts an nevur get bedder caulze Gainey < Burke wuunt bedder ged alwaygsd cuz he wund win adyrthun fuevur. Callyjo wishes she was me.

164. pmaraw says:

they’re making a smurfs movie in 3d….

165. habrez says:

How does Carbo not being fluent in english have anything to do with him working in french?

I hope he gets the job. Best guy for the job, if RDS goes the route of hiring ex-nhlers.

166. habrez says:

Oh and Brunet was the worst. Do you even speak french?

167. GrimJim says:

Eller is listed on the “prospects” webpage on the Habs site. I suspect the NHL still considers him a prospect since he hasn’t played a season with the minimum 10 (or is it 20?) NHL games for it to be classified as his rookie season. Boyd and Auld have more played enough NHL games to be considered “active roster” players as defined in the CBA.

168. nightmare_49 says:

kk – Pednault, ouch. I guess you like listening to his lame stories while the game is on and describes every french player like he’s a hall of famer. If you want a color man you should look for someone that is young and has experience which is hard in the french language.

A color man just can’t be tossed in the cage with Houde and expect to talk at the right time and not over the play, Houde does enough of that himself. Carbo would probably get by cuz he says little but he’s really boring. Bouchard is the man until RDS realizes that they have to groom someone for the job.

169. Strabo says:

Me too, about 30 minutes from where I live. Hampton has a great golf course with a par 6 hole.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

170. SeriousFan09 says:

I like what’s coming up in the system and what the roster has to offer, better depth, leadership and a year of our young phenom P.K. Subban to finally give us more than one smooth puck-moving D who plays a true two-way game.

Gauthier, I’m on the fence with him as while he hasn’t wowed me yet, he’s neither made any moves that would make me pull my hair out. Time will tell with him, but I have no issue with him continuing as it stands right now. He’s made the kind of choices i would expect a GM to further the organization but it’s early to say whether he is definitively putting this club on the right or wrong path.

171. twocents says:

Gosh damnit, I am looking forward to next season. Sure, if you asked me in April what i wanted, I would have said I wanted both goalies back for another season or two, but I knew that was pie in the sky stuff. I would have wanted to keep Moore too. But, that’s about it and all the unexpected changes, like Eller, Boyd, Avtsin, not to mention the long term signing of Pleks, have me feeling optimistic.

The players all have clear roles, there is no acrimony in the room, and there should be a healthy level of competition at all positions. The team looks like one that will improve over the next few years and should also have an identity right from the start this season.

To be completely honest I don’t instinctively like Gauthier, but I have to say his decisions have struck me as being well founded and decisive. That, I like.

172. Bill J says:

Decisive indeed.

And I do share your enthusiasm.

No more “gelling” they HAVE gelled… now build on that & work to improve further.

173. SmartDog says:

Except for your enthusiasm for Gauthier, I feel the same.  We all have opinions but they’re a bad substitute for being able to watch the team play and see things unfold.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

174. SmartDog says:

Hmmm… maybe I could order out and just bill it to the Habs.  If I opened the door in my stiffest suit and greased my hair up it might work!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

Don’t forget the ugly tie.

176. SmartDog says:

…and not to smile.

I guess I have my Halloween costume all picked out now!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

177. Bill J says:

Oh yes now I remember…

Yeah I remember a few Goals that we missed because they had some graphic up and where talking about how little french players played for MTL etc etc.

Or how he went to a pool party &… <insert non-hockey related story>

all while there was action on the Ice.

178. likehoy says:

the worst is when the puck drops or an advert pops up JUST to ruin a good play and you just hear pierre houde “ET LE BUT!” or “QUELLE MISE EN ECHEC PAR —-”

meanwhile pedneault is still talking about what he ate for dinner….

at least you have to say it was better than brunet: “j’ai joué avec les meilleurs étoiles de hockey de tout temps comme mike modano et guy carbonneau”

179. Bill J says:

I dunno both are bad.

Lets cross our collective fingers and hope the next one(s) are better at it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love that RDS covers all 82 + some pre-season games.

Just wish the people talking could either be muted without losing the rest. OR the people talking are better at their jobs.

sigh. lol

180. smiler2729 says:

Cheers to you, Bill J., I’m heading to Wild Wing for cold beer with my wife, we’ll toast ya.

181. Mike Boone says:

Not to mention Tom Pyatt nine spots below Ben Maxwell. Ludicrous.

182. nightmare_49 says:

via Jeremy Rutherford tweet,

David Perron has signed a two-year, 4.3 million extension with Blues. He will be paid 1.8 and 2.5 next 2 yrs.

183. camel_larry says:

*cough*

You may wanna scroll up to the top of the page for a sec’.

184. kempie says:

That video is pretty funny.

185. amacrae10 says:

Hey, I live in Vancouver and watch games on RDS but my french is pretty much only good enough to understand the play by play and so the colour commentary is pretty much lost on me, as is the intermission and post game stuff. Can someone elaborate on why everyone seems to hate Benoit Brunet? I’m just curious since I don’t understand what he’s saying but everyone seems to think he’s an asshole.

186. derfab says:

Tremblay would be fun. I’d love to see him interview (and pummel) Roy, tell Demers to stop coughing and demand to have his number retired next.

character is derfab destiny.

187. mike g says:

2 Questions for ya’ll….

1- Do you even care where the Russian baby signs anymore?

2- Would you rather news of a Kovalchuk deal broke this week, or Carey Price signing?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

188. The Teacher says:

1. No.

2. Price

189. derfab says:

I don’t mind him but he comes across as down and even a little bitter, perhaps because of an injury filled playing career and the absence of coaching offers. He seems to miss the real action too much and is unable to hide it.

character is derfab destiny.

190. K-hab25 says:

I agree Teach.

191. JD_ says:

I wanna say Dick Irvin, Jr. but, well, there’s so many obvious reasons that ain’t going to happen. Still one of my all-time fav play-by-play guys. Really gave a crap.

I’ve told this story on here before but it’s been long enough that I can recycle it without fear of being called on it. Did I say that out loud?

About some 15 years ago, I got on the elevator at 1501 McGill College Ave. to head to my lair’s nest on the 15th floor. Nesbitt had its retail offices higher up. Irvin stepped onto the elevator and selected one of their floors, presumably to go see his broker.

Just the two of us.

So, being a fan and keenly aware he was getting less and less work in favour of Bob Cole, I turned to him and said it was nice to meet him then asked why this shift was occurring.

“You can’t fight city hall,” he answered in that distinctive Dick Irvin voice of his.

Indeed.

Think Prof. Boone wrote about a local branch of this same braintrust in his piece this morning. Gormless twits was it?

192. derfab says:

1- He should learn to fly a plane and play chicken with the real Kovy.

2- He should learn to fly a plane.

character is derfab destiny.

193. SeriousFan09 says:

1. He can adjust the balance of power for an NHL team so yes, I hold interest.

2. Price, because he’s a Hab. Everything else is secondary.

194. kempie says:

1. Of course I care because this is a pivotal moment for the league. But I don’t “care” care. My gut tells me it will be the KHL because this mess is going to take forever to sort out and I have no doubt whatsoever that this guy is all about the Benjamins.

2. Price. ($25M/17 years)

195. bwoar says:

I’ll take Yvon Pedneault redux over those other options, please.

196. bwoar says:

He is still missed.  To go from him to Bob Cole….that was the beginning of the end for my CBC intake.

197. JD_ says:

Brunet is not an a-hole. I can listen to an a-hole if he does his or her job well.

Benoit is clearly lazy – the crayon scribbles on the single piece of looseleaf is a dead giveaway – awkward, and ill-equipped to handle the pace of the game. His pre-game overviews are legendary for their vapidity. Particularly grindin’ for me is how he lets his distaste for certain Habs poison his on-air comments and behaviour.

Most importantly, his off-the-rack wardrobe and discount bin ties are unbecoming broadcastin’ along with the likes of a nappy dude like Pierre Houde.

Well made. Well priced. Well crapped.

198. The Cat says:

Itll be Joel Bouchard.  Anybody on that list is fine with me EXCEPT MARIO TREMBLAY. Or Id add Martin McGuire to the list, hes the last word when it comes to the habs IMO.

199. kempie says:

Unlike most colour guys (completely opposite really) Irvin’s voice always had a sensible, soothing quality for me.

200. zerolegel says:

I just can’t see that this news is for real. The website doesn’t seem that reliable. But let’s hope so – and I’d take Joel. Nevermind the hands, we won’t see him while the game is on.

201. Aerobiz says:

I met Mr. Irvin once when he came into the video store that I was working at. Because ogf the location we had a number of celebs showing up now and then (Very Nice: Penelope Cruz, Dolf Lundgren, Jake Gylenhall, Horrid: Jane Seymore, Bette Middler, Emmy Rossum) and quite a few Habs, Expos and Als players (I’ve got a few great stories there).

Like many others here I grew up listening to voice and I was thrilled to meet him in person. I was even more thrilled when he asked me if we had Strangers on a Train because I’m a HUGE Hitckcock fan. We had a good talk about Hitch and he said that he was impressed that such a young (at the time) man knew so much about his films.

I shook his hand and thanked him for making Habs games so exciting and interesting.

What an old school gentleman.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

202. habs03 says:

I’m not a fan of his, but I have no problem him taking this much time to decide. First its not a simple contract to work out, two its a life changing dicision, it’s not like he is signing a 4-5 year deal. I have no issue with him taking all the time he wants as long as he does not turn it into a media circus like LeBron did in the NBA

203. ProHabs says:

The number 1 reason why the Habs will be a better team this year. Here is part of an interview with Mike Keane in this months Canadiens Magazine.

Q: After watching P.K. Subban knock your Moose out of the Calder Cup Playoffs this year, we’re guessing you wouldn’t have minded seeing him called up to Montreal a week or two earlier?

Keane: I talked to Kirk Muller about that. I definitely wouldn’t have minded had he been called up a lot sooner. He single-handedly was the reason the Bulldogs beat us. He’s so good. The sky is the limit for P.K.

204. bwoar says:

So 2.4M for Clarke MacArthur…. wait, what????

edit: Oh must be for 2 years.  Duh!

205. Bill J says:

Nice quote. :)

206. Rugger says:

I for one, would love to see Keane back in the Habs org somewhere, like Muller pure Class.

207. JD_ says:

Really great story.

I have one that would support your contention regarding Ms. Jane Seymour. Omni Hotel on Sherbrooke St. Too much wine. And an el cheapo moment worthy of the archives.

208. derfab says:

DANNY g. WAS THE MAN. Dick was……better than Bob.

character is derfab destiny.

209. andrewberkshire says:

2.4 was the per year number awarded by the arbitrator.

210. HabFanSince72 says:

1. Never did.

2. Couldn’t care less about either announcement. Price will sign for market value.

211. Rugger says:

1. Don’t care as long as not in our Division, I see the Habs with a shot at the top of it.

2. Price by far.

212. habsfanincalgary says:

Anyone heard anything about talks with Carey?

I suppose the dream of Saku returning to MTL is just that–a dream–with Gomez taking #11 this season…

213. K-hab25 says:

Can’t be, I’ve been told Boucher was the only reason. Although, maybe there’s something to this PK theory. :-)

214. mike g says:

WOW…

Surprised ATL walked away from Clark’s 2.4 mill deal. He was doing pretty good in Buff, got shipped to ATL where he continued to play well, and now he’s a UFA.

Too bad he’s yet another small player, or I’d say to go after him. A team like the Rangers, or even the Kings since they’re building with players in his age group, should go after him.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

215. K-hab25 says:

I believe he already resigned with ANH for 2 years.

216. SeriousFan09 says:

Subban has great intensity in the pre-game warmups, I’ve been to multiple Dogs games, he’s always the last guy off the ice, always practicing his skating or his shot, he’d be practicing one-timers and tip-ins with a guy like Ryan White who will hang around the net and drill with him. After a win, he would lead the Dogs in a stick salute to the crowd, even after the loss to the Stars in Game 7 of the Calder Semis he was pure class.

Seems to be very much an Yzerman style of player, very strong player but who is never satisfied with what he’s doing now, he wants to be better and he’ll make himself better as he has to.

217. Sportfan says:

Lawl ok without biting my heads why is Benoit gone lol ?

218. Aerobiz says:

Thanks JD.

I’d love to hear that story sometime.

One of these days I’ve got to tell my Shayne Corson story on this board. I don’t know how many people know what a truly nice guy he can be. It involves a school project, easter dinner, his Mom and a dirty T-shirt.

But for those who remember Henry Rodrigues here’s a quick one: He came in with his family (about 8 people spanning more than 3 generations) in the middle of the day. One of them was wearing the momentarily popular “O’Henry” T-Shirt. I was stocking the candy shelf at the time and he pretended to grab a box of M&M’s from my pile. The only response that I could come up with at the time was “I would have thought that you had enough chocolate by now.” And his whole family laughed.

219. Bill J says:

The answer IMO lies in a few vowels.

“Aye-Aye-Aye”

220. habs03 says:

Even though ATL give up a 2nd and 3rd for him, good job for walking away, 2.4 is  too much.

221. dlc2584 says:

Good riddance!! Brunet was such a horrible commentator, always anti-habs and never stuck up for our guys… i hate the guy and i know i’m not the one that harbors these feelings.

bye bye!!!

222. dlc2584 says:

bye bye!!!

223. smiler2729 says:

Joel Bouchard hands down!

224. mike g says:

They’ve got a ton of cap space though, it wouldn’t kill them to give a 1-year deal…

But they’re a poor franchise. Anyways NYI, LA, NYR, PHX, etc….(just a bunch of teams that can afford him, lol) should take a chance on him with a 1-year deal.

I saw him play about 10 games last year and he looks like a pretty decent player. He’s young, so he can also only get better. I can see him getting 40-45 points, which isn’t bad.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

225. sprague cleghorn says:

I’d love to see the return of Yvon Pedneault, he had such great on-air chemistry with M. Houde.  Unfortunately, that’s never going to happen so put me down in the ABT column — Anybody But Tremblay.  He will use the position to immediately start lobbying for the coaching job.  Been there, done that, still emotionally scarred for life.

226. habstrinifan says:

1::

Kovalchuk: Dont care where he signs but woud love to see him im Rangers uniform just for the league. The Rangers need a star!!

2::

News of Price signing. I think it is a bit unsettling that he hasnt yet. I am one of those that think that Price is deathly insecure and may feel that he may be unable to handle the pressure of playing in Montreal. Price is a mercurial, ‘highlight reel’ style goalie with inconsitencies in technique and concentration. He has an an unproven, but probably limitless ‘upside’,  but also has demonstrably questionable issues of mental fortitude.  I fear the delay. And something tells me this may not end well!.

I know the team holds all the cards. But I fear there is reason for the hesitation. And it must be all from Price’s side. And I dont think it is all terms or money! I think the ‘fear of failure’ is part of it and Price may wish to be in an easier environment.

Now I shall run for cover before I am stoned by the Price faction here.

227. Aerobiz says:

I though tit was “Oy, oy, oy!!”

lol

228. Bill J says:

What makes you think Price is afraid ?  I also challenge the mental fortitude.

No stone throwing, just want to know what you are basing this on ?

From everything I’ve read, sure he has had maturity issues.  But understandable ones considering his age & the environment he was trust into.

Fear ?  Not something I see in Price…

229. Bill J says:

Either way its bad

During the playoffs my wife commented on it, she says to me

“Who is this clown who keeps Oye Oye Oye’ing ?” lol

230. nick says:

Thats a great quote.

With that said, lets practice a little patience. It wouldn’t be a stretch to say that Price was highly spoken of, prior to and during his first season. Media took over and it wasn’t long before he was hailed as The Franchise, etc etc…

He struggled from time to time – which isn’t something that is allowed here in MTL… And it wasn’t long before he was being called lazy, an underachiever, etc etc… All simply because he hasn’t – YET – lived up to media and fan expectations.

PK is great, no doubt about it. Lets just keep the expectations, and the parade planning in check until after he has a few ups and downs.

231. mike g says:

I agree…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

232. smiler2729 says:

Just to clarify on the other thread when I wished everybody a HAPPY JULY 21st, I was only celebrating the day and the fact that we’re somewhere in the middle of this hot summer, I was well aware that it isn’t summer solstice as everyone pointed out that I was a month late… just sayin’ is all.

233. BJ says:

Thanks for those links. I actually remember “La ligue du vieux poele” The guys talking were Jean-Maurice Baillie and Pete Morin (ex Habs player) and Charles Mayer. Boy time flies.

234. aemarchand11 says:

A good read on our draft choices.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

235. Kamal Panesar says:

Gotta go with Joel Bouchard. His understanding and analysis of the game of off the charts.

Either that or hire him as the Habs defense coach. What? A defensemen coaching the defenseman? Now that’s just crazy talk!

;-)

Follow Kamal on HabsAddict.com, Facebook and Twitter

“Just because a player is on LTIR does not automatically grant the team extra cap space. In the event a player is placed on LTIR, his cap hit still counts toward the team’s overall cap payroll. Relief only comes if replacing the player’s salary pushes the team’s cap payroll to date over the cap. The amount of relief is limited to the amount the team has gone over the cap, not the entire amount of the injured player’s salary.” (from the CapGeek article).

So if I understand this point correctly, we will not be receiving any cap relief  if we replace Markov with a player such as Carle or Weber (if we have space under the cap).  That would only happen if we traded for or signed a high priced Dman in which case we would still be well over the cap once Markov returns.

237. db says:

Ein Pierre… c’est pas compliquer…

238. Bill J says:

Hey I’m celebrating the day too.

It’s my birthday, so thanks for celebrating it :)

239. J.T. says:

Hey, happy birthday!  And, just for the record, in the earlier thread, I was by no means referring to punkster as a tool.  I meant “tool” as in “implement for working,” not the slang version.  Just wanted to clarify.

240. Bill J says:

I apologize, totally miss-read your post…

& thanks :)

241. twocents says:

That’s basically my understanding, Steve.

I will refine the point to say that we would receive temporary cap relief in the case of a call up of Weber or Carle, if we we right up against the cap,. What I am trying to get across is that relief isn’t based on whether you get a replacement within your system or sign a UFA. It’s based on the amount of cap space you have left and on the amount of the injured players cap hit. It’s the difference between the two.

But, most importantly, cap relief provided by this mechanism is temporary and disappears once the injured player returns. So if you choose to sign someone in Markov’s absence you have a decision to make when he returns. If the player proves himself an important piece, maybe you move someone else and receive picks in return. If not, you ditch the replacement player for picks.

242. habs03 says:

You’re so right, if he was a bit bigger I’d him on the Habs. I’m not sure why ATL aren’t just signing him, but I think they are thinking that if you give him 2.4 what do u give Ladd?

243. bwoar says:

Colour me extinctified, wtf ?

244. Bill J says:

RE the length of the contract.

Doesn’t it have to = the number on the jersey ?

IE 60 Million over 31 years.

Think the NHL will believe in a 54 year old goaltender ?

245. JIMVINNY says:

As I understand it, the only way you can realistically replace a LTIR player with a player of similar impact is if that injured player is going to be gone until the end of the season.  That way, you have a guarantee that they won’t return to the lineup to F up your cap situation.

246. Exit716 says:

The fact Fischer is ranked 10th in terms of Habs prospects is hilarious.

That kind of destroy’s the sites credibility right there. A player that won’t be signed by the August 15th deadline is the 10th best player in the organization?

Who wrote that evaluation? Trevor Timmins’ mother?

247. le_vrai_jacques says:

Dany Dubé

248. Mike Boone says:

I wish. Dany is the best, French or English

249. Corporate says:

1) I would go with Dubé also but he has a swet job with CKAC and Radio-Canada with La Zone. I don’t think he would go to RDS but you never know.

2) Next in line would be Joel Bouchard. he is very knowledgeable and doesn’t seem as annoying.

3) My third choice is a long shot but I liked the years with Pierre Bouchard. I would always laugh at his jokes. But that is just personal opinion.

250. nightmare_49 says:

le – Dube probably will be in the mix as he is decent but he hasn’t said a good word about a Habs coach in 10 years, cuz he has an agenda, he thinks he should coach the Habs. He is also prone to flip flop, just like Norman Flynn.

Anybody but Hartley. I vote Bouchard.

251. twocents says:

Bouchard

252. G-Man says:

His contract wasn’t renewed. Bye-bye Yvon.

253. JD_ says:

Well, Mario Tremblay, of course.

In other developments, I’m heading downstairs to jam my gonads in the whirlin’ blades of my trusty lawnmower.

254. puck face says:

my fist with a mouth and eyes drawn on it. i can also use a sockpuppet.

255. TommyB says:

Hey, good call.  How about Ed the Sock?

256. Propwash says:

Bob Gainey!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

257. Say Ash says:

Pierre McGuire

258. alestar says:

I hear BGL is looking for work…

XXIV…and counting

259. aemarchand11 says:

Joel Bouchard, knows his stuff but im growing tired of seeing him with his pornstar hairdew and hand talking lol.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

260. thirdstone says:

This is such fantastic news. I absolutely hate Brunet. He is stupid and pretentious, a terrible combination.

I don’t know who’d be a good replacement. I’m just so overjoyed that I have to chirp in to celebrate the great news.

261. yathehabsrule says:

Signal Hill is in Newfoundland, no?

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

262. yathehabsrule says:

Don’t you mean Carlson and Karlsson? :p

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

Dobber has updated his list of prospects outside of the NHL and Eller came in at #11.  MaxPac was listed 24th.

Subban came in 3rd on the DMan list behind Karlsson and Carlson.

264. SeriousFan09 says:

Can you link this? I’m interested to see the rest of the list. Also, isn’t Karlsson for OTT basically in the NHL now?

265. K-hab25 says:

Ooopppsss!!! My bad!! I hope ye, oh lord of the porta potty, can forgive me.

266. Bugs says:

Still, you gotta admit: it’s a hell of an act.

And it’s “holier than THOU”, btw. In case, next time, you don’t wanna look silly.

267. puck face says:

ha ha ! Ed is good. however , dressed or not my fist will be looking for a 30 year contract.

268. alestar says:

We always referred to him as “Barney Rubble”…

XXIV…and counting

269. slamtherimtim says:

bye bye, tickle me elmo

270. pic1983 says:

I think Joel Bouchard is my choice.  He brings a lot of enthusiam which I think is very important for a color commentator.  Plus, as its been mentioned already, you wont see his hands while hes doing the color commentary during the game.  My second choice is going back to Yvon.

271. Howie55 says:

I say bring back Yvon Pednault. He was great with Pierre Houde.

Pour moi, Saku c’est un champion qui n’a pas encore gagné. Il joue comme un champion, il s’entraîne comme un champion, il mange comme un champion. Un jour, il le deviendra

272. avatar_58 says:

It should read “Blues sign….” – because I instantly assumed a habs signing

273. HabFanSince72 says:

BB was OK. Yes he was a bit inane, and he was a bit too much of a fan, but he wasn’t obnoxious.

274. Bugs says:

Personally, I don’t want someone who’s not bad; I want someone GOOD.

275. camel_larry says:

BREAKING NEWS:

Mike Boone has signed a 1,293 year deal with RDS! In the first year of his contract, he makes $10,000,000, and every year after that he makes 0.01! The cap hit for the radio station ends up being something around $14 every year.

276. matmacat says:

they still have to pay him 10 mil the first year, though.

277. zozotheclown says:

With all the Kovy II buzz I’m not sure if this was ever reported. Hamilton has a new coach

Don’t know anything about him apart from whats written.

278. SeriousFan09 says:

Oh it’s been announced and debated ad nauseam. Some come calliing it cronyism from PG and JM because Cunneyworth used to play for the Senators in the 90s, some calling it a ploy by PG to make sure this new AHL coach doesn’t threaten JM’s job since he’s unilingual and can’t ascend to the Habs bench, while others argue Guy Boucher’s assistant, Martin Raymond whose top level of coaching was the Mcgill Hockey Team should be our next guy because while Boucher is a Babock clone, Raymond is already a Boucher clone.

I’m still trying to figure out who the team CAN hire, if we hire the Quebecois, it’s playing politics with the management rather than getting the best possible personnel, if we hire the Anglo, it’s making sure the top management doesn’t have their job threatened… you can’t win in this town no matter who you hire.

279. Bugs says:

Fleeting thought, out’ve left blue field:

If I’m banned from this site, I swear I won’t come back.

Chew on that one, you circus freaks.

280. Mike Boone says:

Who’s talking about banning you, Bugs? It would have to go through me. Ain’t gonna happen.

281. Andrew Sharpe says:

It make for a pretty ineffective ban if you did!

282. K-hab25 says:

Thank You Lord Porta Potty!! Now let us hope you get banned, soon. Oh nevermind I see you’re teachers pet, funny he bans Timo, who has never said a bad word to any other poster and guarantees your safety, despite your conceited, holier than though act. Oh well thanks for gettin my hopes, for nothing.

283. derfab says:

JUMP!

character is derfab destiny.

284. _Habsoloutly_ says:

don’t worry bugsy,  if Boone won’t ban any of the truculent children here he certainly won’t ban you.

285. Corio says:

I really like Joel Bouchard, his hockey knowledge is great, his commentary is great, I think he would b a fantastic choice and put Bob Hartley at the ice level to take Joel’s spot down there.  One thing I hate is when Joel rubs his hands together all the time as he talks like he is about to savor a huge turkey dinner or something..

286. twocents says:

The voices in his head, Boone, the voices in his head.

287. Bugs says:

Fleeting thought, I said. Blueberry field. Funny, considering other such posters have rerturned. But ”banned”? “A promise not to come back if applied”? No? Not funny? Awright.

But now that you mention it, maybe I should push the envelope a bit more, get all rowdy, start stompin about, causin a ruckus, walkin the razor’s edge, but…

Aw, I dunno…

288. Bugs says:

Why yes, I do know how to swing an axe. Why might you be enquiring?

289. _Habsoloutly_ says:

careful with that axe Eugene.

290. petrov14 says:

Very slick Floyd reference, I likey.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

Hello!

This Als Inside Out site.

Is there a place to make comments like on here??

Do you have to sign up somewhere?

??????

292. zozotheclown says:

Ha, thanks for the update, missed this one lol.

293. ooder says:

hey andrew,

I dunno why my post to you got delete before but i just wanted to tell you, you where absolutely right about Inception.

It was ridiculously awesome

——————

88 is the new 23

294. ooder says:

btw the people working on RDS who were complaining that the new AHL coach isn’t french seriosuly need to get reevaluated.

Guess what… last year we hired a coach straight out of the Q, and guess what after a year he got up and left.

not that i blame him or anything, but why should the canadiens go out of thier way and only try to hire french canadians and show them the utmost respect when it clearly isn’t returned

——————

88 is the new 23

295. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ve been saying that for a couple days now, we hire the Quebecois guy and it’s cronyism, if we hire the Anglo it’s JM and PG out to protect their jobs… Who can you hire as a coach that isn’t going to raise a ruckus these days?

I still think we might see Boucher back in a few years.

296. ooder says:

on this site.. thanks to guys like tony

everything the habs do is pure evil only meant to make his life miserable

——————

88 is the new 23

297. The Cat says:

A gay black jewish person in a wheelchair..The media coukdnt say nothing then.

298. Bugs says:

You know what I’m sayin, Andy.

299. pic1983 says:

you dont see his hair while hes doing color commentary either lol thats why i think it would be ideal for joel.  We dont have to see his hand movements or his hair.

300. J.T. says:

St.Patrick should offer commentary next year.  It’d be loud, opinionated and hilarious.  Now, if we could only pry him away from the Remparts…

301. 100HABS says:

Pednault was ok. Bouchard is terribly annoying.

Hartley would be interesting, I can’t say until I hear him do a little more itme in that capacity.

Carbo is my first choice – I’m sure he’d be better in French than his stint on CBC which did not impress me at all. Although his insight is generally good, he seemed to have trouble verbalising his thoughts in English.

302. pmaraw says:

ya and is that other carlson the kid from washington that gave us trouble?

303. Mark C says:

Dobber is high on Trotter at 86, I agree. Trotter has a good shot with Montreal or somewhere this year.

304. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s still got rookie status rating with the NHL, didn’t play enough with the Capitals last season for it to count, Karlsson basically played the season for OTT.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Robert – Most of these lists have their own criteria in terms of who is a rookie and who is a real NHL roster player.  I thnk most people see Karlsson (60 NHL games) as the best young Dman who is ready for the NHL while Carlson (22 NHL games) and Subban (2 NHL games) have always been neck and neck in the ratings.

306. likehoy says:

i’m surprised at the improvements of trotter…last year i saw him at the training camp and he looked slow and weak and didn’t work hard…we’ll see how he does this year at training camp.

307. likehoy says:

where do you figure that? gainey signed trotter out of college when trotter was kicked out of school for anonymous reasons.

308. Bill J says:

lol your asking Tony for a better explanation of his opinion ?? :O

Uh Oh – everyone run for cover.

309. Sliver24 says:

Benny’s gone?  Aye aye aye!

310. Habs fan in SF says:

i hope the “rumour” of tinordi for bieska is false. kinda ridiculous, in my opinion…

i also gotta post this comment i left in the last post because i don’t think anyone is reading the other one:

please mr. boone, or any knowledgable habs fan out there, why does jacques martin not like a tough player? sure we made it far in the playoffs but that’s because we can play well against a soft, yet highly skilled team (as we saw in the wash and pitt series) but get man handled by philly. stewart would have looked good on the 4th line. the guy made a b-line towards guys who took liberties. screw the code. throw punches first, ask questions later. everything that laraque didn’t do. and what ever happened to nielsen? the guy won the fans hearts in the pre-season, but never got a call up. i know he prolly lacks certain skills that martin so called expects in a player, but i REALLY think we NEED a guy to shake things up. throw a big hit. protect our players. have BALLS. what the hell? am i alone in this or am i just ranting to myself? i did call in sick today and probably getting a high off of this dayquil i just took (they even have dayquil in montreal? i can’t remember)…

i actually really liked greg stewart. he was tough and he stood up for his teamates. not sure why he was never given a shot. good pick up for edmonton. but then again, i’ve always had a man-crush on him since his first game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUkBwDxBsfY

311. Bugs says:

I think the reasons Greg Stewart not makin the team might be a bit more detailed than “Jack Marty not liking him”, don’t you think?

I betcha Claude Lemieux wasn’t on his coach’s Xmas list…

312. SeriousFan09 says:

Stewart was a servicable AHLer, but he wasn’t even that useful on the Bulldogs lineup. There’s a reason he’s signed a bare-bones contract with EDM.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Eller played 70 games in the AHL last year while also logging 7 games with St. Louis.  That basically meant he was a minor leaguer just like Subban.  Regardless, I was using the criteria that Dobber established for his lists.