Subban’s stock falling with each Habs win

winweb

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin met with unsigned restricted free agent P.K. Subban and his agent, Don Meehan, Friday in Toronto and the word is that the defenceman will use the weekend to mull over his options.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey writes in his weekly Pitter Pat-ter column that Subban’s stock is falling with each Canadiens win and that he is hurting his brand during the contract squabble.

“He is playing into the hands of what I call the haters and the doubters — the people who believe he is a selfish and overrated player,” Hickey writes. “Subban answered those charges last season when he changed his playing style, concentrated on playing better defence and led the team in ice time and defence scoring.”

TSN’s Darren Dreger tweeted this on Saturday morning: ”Little or no progress made in PK Subban contract negotiations. Habs firm on 2 year deal, roughly $5 mil total. Offer sheet? Trade? Options.”

TSN’s Bob McKenzie has already stated: “I think it’s ultimately heading toward a trade.”

Friday’s practice in Brossard was an optional one following Thursday’s 4-1 win in Washington. Taking part in the practice were goalie Peter Budaj, defencemen Tomas Kaberle and Yannick Weber, and forwards Erik Cole, Travis Moen, Colby Armstrong, Brandon Prust, Lars Eller, Ryan White, Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher.

The Canadiens practise again at 11 a.m. Saturday in Brossard and the 24 CH reality show has its premiere at 10:30 p.m. Saturday on RDS with the English premiere slated for 8 p.m. on Feb. 4 on TSN.

Here are some stories to keep you busy as we wait for Sunday’s game against the New Jersey Devils at the Bell Centre (6 p.m., RDS, TSN 690 Radio).

Subban hurting his brand in contract dispute, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens insist Subban saga isn’t a distraction, by Dave Stubbs

Brandon Prust Fan Club keeps on growing, by Stu Cowan

Time isn’t always wasted in the sin bin, by Dave Stubbs

The kids are all right with Canadiens, by Pat Hickey

Pitter Pat-ter notebook, by Pat Hickey

Photo gallery from Friday’s Habs practice in Brossard

Devils’ Stephen Gionta looking forward to facing brother Brian in Montreal, by New Jersey Star-Ledger

Devils are a not-so-perfect 3-0 after win over Capitals Friday night, by New Jersey Star-Ledger

And finally, happy birthday to The Great One, Wayne Gretzky, who turns 52 on Saturday.

(Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)

1. JohnBellyful says:

Re: Subban contract talks
    I have read at length, and understood most, the thousands of posts, articles, columns, tweets, graffiti, and scrawls on frost-covered windshields covering this subject in minute – and minute-by-minute – detail, and have come to the conclusion that the best chance for the two sides ever to reach a deal is to agree to the following:

1st year – $4 million (for Subban, just to be clear)
    2nd year – $5.4 M (35 per cent raise), stall with cable TV
    3rd year – $5.53M (rate of inflation, 2.5 per cent), personal valet service 24/7
    4th year – $5.67M (rate of inflation, 2.5 per cent), hosts dressing room intermission show
    5th year – $6M (rate of inflation, 5 per cent – I’m warning you now!), personal line of grooming products
    6th year – $6.9M (increase picked at random, to remind both sides fate plays no favourites), team backs launch of chain of donut shops in Subban’s name, PKs
    7th year – $7.9M (35 per cent increase minus hometown discount), number retired
    8th year – $8M, parade in his honour

Both sides have option of opting out after sixth year. But can opt back in after the seventh.

Edit: The numbers might not be entirely accurate. I’m missing a bead in my abacus. (Loved him in Gilligan’s Island BTW)

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

2. 44har48 says:

How rediculous…really Pat Hickey? His value is driven by what the Habs do without him? So maybe this explains the impasse. I thought it was term and value but it might be that with every game played, his value changes, and they have to revisit all the numbers again.

What really happened on that night in Philly three years ago?

3. WindsorHab-10 says:

Subban’s stock falling with each Habs win?
    Come on, it’s only 3 games in with 45 to go. Good that we’re winning but PK needs to be signed & be a part of this team. He’s as important to the success of the Habs as is Price & Max Pac. Would hate to see him get traded. He’s our spark plug.

• Habfan10912 says:

Windsor, I’m not sure if PK’s stock is falling but with each game played PK has to be chopping at the bit to get on the ice. The guy is a hockey player who from all appearances LOVES to play the game. And I as a fan I LOVE to watch him.

———————————–

Okay, I am delving back into the PK story behind the story. Lots of rumour and innuendo out in the airwaves, on the street and all over the interweb. Then we have the actual soundbites of Subban saying all the right things into the camera/microphone.

I am not saying it isn’t true, but just because a pro athlete speaks well during these interviews is not a guarantee that what is said is completely accurate. My case and point is Phil Mickelson. Prior to his latest whining about being hard done by for having to pay Taxes while earning 27million last year, he is often perceived as this wonderful aw shucks guy who says all the right things in front of camera.

Interestingly though, most players on tour feel the opposite, as it is rumoured he is quite the opposite in the locker room. I will immediately be criticized for citing rumour, I am fine with that, I will go with the word of a fellow who runs a PGA tour event and deals with all the players.

My only point is this, just as we don’t know Subban is pain in the Ass in the locker room, we don’t know he is great in the dressing room either.

This is why I miss Gomez already…. :)

• Loonie says:

Of course we don’t know to a certainty what he’s like in the room. But I find it ridiculous that there’s selective benefit of the doubt given. For example, you(not an attack btw) have stated quite clearly that you question several moves that Bergevin’s made but give him the benefit of the doubt.

So you’re being reasonable in assuming that while you don’t necessarily agree with or are excited about some of his decisions you presume he’s the right man of the job based on a number factors and it leads you to have faith in his ability.

Why should we be okay with people jumping the gun and assuming Subban’s a problem player? Why don’t we extend him the same benefit as it relates to his behaviour off of the ice?

We are each entitled to have our own faith in what is going on I guess is my point. I don’t like reading the scathing attacks on PK either, I just happen to think that with all the smoke there may be a small fire.

As for Bergevin, the biggest move I question was the appointment of MT. However, given he has just started as GM, I will give him the benefit, and I also appreciated reading how he spoke specifically with Therrien about what went wrong in Montreal and Pittsburgh with MT. Seems to me, an attempt has been to correct the behaviour/actions in questions.

Otherwise, I don’t have any issues with MB’s decision making so far.

I also recognize the complete sh*tshow that he has had to walk into. The Habs organization was in complete and utter disarray last season, and he inherited a heap load of dog poop. Rome cannot be rebuilt in a season.

• Loonie says:

So we can’t necessarily take PK at his word but should with Therrien?

Provided Therrien doesn’t lose the kids who are important to this team’s future I’m fine with him on the bench. But it’s an often overlooked part of the negative you get with a coach like him.

As for placing faith in Bergevin and not in Subban. I guess it’s an issue of personal like or dislike. I can’t really rationalize it any other way. I try my best to avoid liking or disliking players, coaches or management based on what I see on TV because hockey people tend to become a version of what they think people want to see when they’re on camera(Cammalleri’s a great example).

• Habfan10912 says:

Since you delved then I shall also. What room? The room where players loved Scott Gomez? The Gomez that left his man unattended night after night in front of our goal? The room where Darche was given first unit power play time over more talented players? The room where Kabrele was in about as good of shape as my 83 year old Mother? The room where Cammy was traded mid game for having the audacity to question his teammates attitude? If true I’m not too sure that I would care if I was not liked in that room either.

———————————–

Morning Jim, yes that Room!!! By the way i hope you realize my Gomez comment was a joke, perhaps not a good one.

And yah that room was a mess last year. When I read Dale Hunter talk about Brandon Prust and what kind of character he brings, I am hopeful it is a much cleaner and tidier room this year. Spic and Span perhaps? :)

• HabFab says:

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that PK can be irritating and a pain in the ass. There is too much out there for it to be otherwise. Even when his brothers are interviewed, they end up saying that is just PK being PK. The guy has a talent and is a good, sometime very good player but he is not a great player… maybe some day. I’m sure that someone out there finds each of us individually irritating. So what, give yourself a shake and get on with it.

Okay, I am in full agreement Frank. I think PK doesn’t realize how he rubs some guys the wrong way, and the other guys need to grow a pair and realize the guy is just different from them, a charisma they are not used too.

This is actually why I have no problem with MT’s comments. A few little meetings, clear the air and move on is what is needed.

Both sides have some work to do.

• HabFab says:

My worry is the “making him a better person”. You can down play a person’s negative side but you cannot change it. Remember Hal Gill’s word in that “the biggest problem with PK is that everyone wants to change him”… PK has to be PK to be effective.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

You know in real life one doesn’t have to grow a pair and allow someone to be egotistical and obnoxious at all…as a matter of fact very few do that…instead you dislike them more as time goes on. True conditions can prevent you from saying because of the team approach but I don’t think if a person is perceived as egotistical and obnoxious they will ever be popular with their peers. Just doesn’t make sense to me that a group of players would be different than real life people. Charsma is losing it’s real meaning these days…….he has some no doubt but is it condusive to being liked by a team with more than one person. You generally like someones’ Charisma asa natural phenomenon not a grit your teeth acceptance. The definition of charisma is a “compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others” I think we have used the wrong word here.

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m pretty sure no one finds Burly irritating. :) The jury may be still out on the rest of us. Everything else I agree with. What we all know about PK is he gives his all whenever he is on the ice.

Edit: Morning Frank.
        ———————————–

No I do think I have been irritating lately, I will do some soul searching and hopefully come out better for it.

I just want PK signed and playing, with a fair contract to both sides.

• ed lopaz says:

I don’t care if Subban is a pain in the backend to Plekanec and Kaberle in the dressing room – as he seemed to bother Hamrlik and Spacek beforehand.

How many championships have been won with a guy like Subban in the room, in every sport?

I don’t need to list all of the bad reputation players in the history of sports, but somehow the Habs can never tolerate any – none – or their whole room falls apart.

I believe, and I have said this before, that when Gill was here he had a very good understanding of Subban and the situation.

Hal Gill, in my mind, is one of the most credible, and one of the most impressive characters to have worn the uniform in the last 20 years.

Gill made Subban a friend. Gill was like a mentor to Subban. Gill really likes Subban and compliments him in public when he is asked to comment.

How bad can Subban be if Hal Gill stands by him with such loyalty??

Ed, I don’t think I spoke well in my post. I agree with you, my point is that the coaches and players need a get together and clear the BS out of the way is all.

Chris had an excellent post a few nights ago regarding PK, his personality etc..

Many of the best know they are the best while performing the best. Like you, I rather have the best on my team.

• Loonie says:

Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Brad Marchand, Tyler Seguin, Patrick Kane, Dustin Byfuglien.

Those are as you know just some players that have won the last three Stanley Cups.

• HabFab says:

Ed, your speaking my language buddy!!

• ABHabsfan says:

I have heard the same thing about Mickelson, that he is all about the fans and a great guy but in “The Room” he is quite the opposite. And not hearsay, got it from a tour player. They call him IGJAM; I’m good just ask me!

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

5. Chris says:

I wish there had been so many John Leclair experts back in 1995.

John Leclair is often put alongside Chris Chelios as a terrible trade, but the reality is that trading Leclair wasn’t even close to the same kind of deal as the Chelios trade.

In 1990, when Chris Chelios was dealt, he had already established himself as a top-5 NHL defenceman. He had finished second in Calder Trophy voting to Mario Lemieux, he had won a Norris Trophy and he had been to numerous All-Star games. He was also a team co-captain.

John Leclair had shown himself to be a player with some potential, but he had already put two full seasons under his belt in which he failed to crack 20 goals. For context, he was a 25 year old winger who had finished 6th on the team in goals in 1992-93 (behind Bellows, Damphousse, Muller, Lebeau and Dionne) and tied with Dionne for 5th on the team in 1993-94 (behind Bellows, Damphousse, Muller and Schneider).

Nothing in the guy’s pedigree put him even close to the reputation of a Chris Chelios. In fact, you could easily make the argument that he was at best the third best player in that “horrible” trade. Mark Recchi had scored 53 and 40 goals in the two prior seasons (compared with Leclair’s 19 and 19), and Eric Desjardins was one of the better defencemen in the NHL, having already made an appearance on Team Canada in the 1991 Canada Cup.

Heck, you could make an argument that he was perhaps not even as good as Gilbert Dionne, who had outscored him in both of the two previous seasons despite being 2 years younger.

It is revisionist history to paint the Leclair trade as a horrible decision. Leclair was Montreal’s third line winger, Dionne was Montreal’s second line winger and Desjardins was their #1 defenceman. Recchi had scored 40 goals in four straight seasons and 97 points or more in each of those seasons, routinely finding himself among the league’s scoring leaders.

The problem with the “Leclair” trade was not dealing Leclair, who wasn’t blossoming the way Montreal had hoped. It was dealing Desjardins, the pillar of their defence corps, along with Schneider, their best offensive defencman.

Send Leclair away but find a way to keep Desjardins and Schneider and the Habs aren’t the terrible team that they became, and their defence corps wasn’t so pathetic that Patrick Roy doesn’t start quietly looking for some way out of town.

I’ve always found it funny how selectively people forget that Roy was NOT a happy camper in Montreal after 1994-95, where he saw the writing on the wall playing behind a defence corps led by Malakhov and Brisebois. Serge Savard nearly had a deal in place to trade Roy when he was canned, 5 games into the 1995-96 season. Why would they trade Roy 5 games into a new season if there weren’t some quiet requests going on in the background?

P.K. Subban is not Chris Chelios either. He has never been an All-Star, never even received so much as one vote from the league’s general managers for the Norris Trophy and not a team leader. He’s a very good young NHL defenceman in a league that is actually brimming with very good NHL defencemen. We love the guy because we see him all the time, but I also think that we over-evaluate him relative to other league defencemen. He’s very good, and improving at a rate that will have him be great soon, but we’ve seen other guys on that track stall.

I doubt that Subban stalls. But let’s not elevate him to Chelios status quite yet.

• Loonie says:

Personally I’ve never put the same value in guys who are good in front of the net that others have.

I concede they are valuable due to the punishment they’re willing to take in creating scoring chances for themselves and teammates but I like Ryan Smyth as an example. I don’t feel he’s ever been anywhere near as good as the media and fans make him out to be and was sick of the thought about Bob Gainey trying to sign him to a long contract.

• nbhabs says:

If you wanna know how good Subban is, put him on the trade market and there will be 29 teams calling. All of the sudden he’s not so bad after all.

• Chris says:

I actually think that Subban is very good. I’ve never disputed that.

Would 29 other teams call? Of course! Well, maybe 27. The Islanders and Blue Jackets are inept enough that they’d probably sit that one out.

Would 29 other teams offer back a star player? That is probably where we disagree.

The Isles won’t give us Tavares. The Flyers won’t send us Giroux. Ottawa certainly won’t send us Karlsson, nor would the Kings send us Kopitar or Doughty.

But reading posts on here, you’d think that all we need to do is make the call and the other GM’s would rush to give us their best player in return for our best player. I find this rather dubious.

If you trade a player like Subban, you’re looking at prospects and draft picks, in all likelihood. I wouldn’t make that deal personally, but that is the deal that will be on the table.

6. Loonie says:

I’d like to think that after a three month period of negotiations prior to the lockout and the two week period following the end of the lockout without an agreement, that most if not all people interested in the Subban contract negotiations would realize that BOTH sides are playing hardball.

If both sides weren’t playing hardball, a deal would have been reached by now.

This isn’t all Bergevin’s fault and it isn’t all Subban’s fault.

7. rhino514 says:

I assume PK´s signing would be prorated for each game he is not playing? So if he signs for 4 million in the context of an 82 game seasonafter the first 9 games he woud in essence get 2 million?

8. immortalhab says:

Our wins ma end up hurting us. Subban loves Mtl but our management has to know that any team would be glad to pick him up.

9. immortalhab says:

It’s unfortunate that this has to happen with one of NHLs best players. I wish Kaberle was having contract troubles. He’s playing like a scared Peewee. I hope rash emotions don’t ruin our future with Subban who would complete a strengthening D and Price’s stellar G-minding.

• Clay says:

“one of NHLs best players” you say? Please…PK is good, but has a ways to go to earn that status. Maybe in 5 years we will be saying that – maybe.

__________________________
      ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

10. nbhabs says:

All of you people wishing or thinking it would be a good idea to see Subban traded have very short memories. Need I remind everyone of Chris Chelios and John Leclair. It would be a huge mistake to let Subban leave Montreal. Only in Montreal do you see people and media trashing their best young players, did you see Edmonton trash Hall and Eberle before they signed long term? Subban loves Montreal and most of the real fans love him, get the deal done.

• Captain aHab says:

What do you think the Habs should sign him to? Anything he wants? 8 years @ $6M per?

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• nbhabs says:

They have to compromise, I see Subbans angle but I also see the Habs angle. Subban was the Habs best D-man last year hands down, if he signs for less than 3.9 he will be behind three other d-men based on salary. I can see his point about getting paid for what he is worth. Everybody thinking that were o.k. on D now because Markov is back is wrong, he’s one bad hit away from being gone again. I would sign Subban to a Eberle and Hall type contract, he’s worth it.

• Danno says:

About $4 – $4.5M for two years is where the deal should be done.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Is Markov the only player in the league one bad hit away from being gone? Seems to me every single player in the league is in that predicament.

• nbhabs says:

Not every other player in the league has missed two seasons because of the same knee is the point.

Having read as much information as I can, I believe the last major operation was done correctly including the post op rehab. I would be surprised if he has a problem with that knee, if he gets injured again I expect it to be a different injury. Between the rehab, strength conditioning and a knee brace, that knee is in pretty good shape.

If you think my comments regarding Markov is trolling, you are mistaken. The last couple of days however, well I may have had a few sarcastic remarks given the lunacy level of PKGate.

• Captain aHab says:

So 6-7 years @ $6M per then. Or do you take the fact that the cap was higher when they signed their deals into account? 6-7 years @ $4.5M?

—————-
          Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• nbhabs says:

I think that the best players will still get their money, it will be the lower to middle paid players who will suffer. Like Danno said, perfect case scenerio would be 2 yrs at 4-4.5, but if it takes 6-7 years at 5-6 million to get it done then do it. The minute Subban leaves Montreal we will be out looking for another Subban type player. I’m from SJ and that player is not Nathan Bealieau, he’s a future Thomas Kaberle.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I don’t wish for a trade but I half expect one. There are layers within layers to this non-story.
      I see a situation where Subban is forcing a trade with his neediness. LeClair and Chelios were a different story – simple bad decisions. To a degree, in this context, Subban is in the driver’s seat.
      I don’t expect Subban loves Montreal and expect he’d be glad to play anywhere else that paid well and had spotlights. It’s a business to him.
      I hope his sense of status money and Bergevin’s budget can meet, so we can keep watching him become a top defenceman. He isn’t one yet, but he is very close and a trade would be something to regret.
      The habs may have to live with those regrets, and Subban may have to move on to another supporting cast.

• nbhabs says:

Subban was one of the few bright spots last year on a terrible team. Played hard every minute of every game, protecting his teamates and getting in the other teams faces even know the games meant nothing. Thats the kind of guy I want on my team. It’s a business to every one of them, do you think Gionta, Cole and others would be here if we didn’t offer the most cash? Subban sees other star young players around the league getting paid for what their worth to their respective teams and hes worth alot to our team.

• Loonie says:

You indicate that Subban doesn’t love Montreal where he intimated quite vividly that he does.

You say it’s a business to him(Subban) and yet ignore that it is to Bergevin even though you referenced his budget.

You say Subban may be forcing a trade but after saying that there are layers within layers to this story you give no consideration to the reality that Subban in the public’s eyes can’t be forcing a trade any more or less than Bergevin is.

Two sides, it’s business to both of them, if they can’t agree to a contract they’ll both want to part ways and they both love Montreal.

I apologize if that seems condescending but there are in fact two sides to this and the reason most people who share their opinion on it haven’t taken a side is because they’re willing to see this from both sides of the table.

San Jose hosts Colorado at 1pm this afternoon, and sounds like very good chance Mr. Gomez will be making his debut with Sharks today. Seems they are especially looking for him to help their power play.

At the bottom of the link provided, the coach discusses Gomez.

• Loonie says:

Should I put my helmet on before I post that I’m cheering for him to do well down there?

No worry about shots from me. I actually believed each of the past couple years Gomez would turn it around. I still maintain that I think his groin has become a chronic problem. Perhaps in a limited role with San Jose he can provide a spark.

I am not saying by any means that I think PK will drop off like Gomez, but the contract Gomez signed really became his nemesis. Players do have to be careful about what they wish for in contracts, it can come back to bite them.

• Loonie says:

Gomez had two rings already as well.

I think a big part of what’s happened with him is that he doesn’t want to put the work in away from the rink and then in the morning at the rink. But I could be wrong and hope I am actually.

I think PK’s driven to be the best, something that I can’t see Gomez having striven for at any point in his career.

12. Strabo says:

When is the trade deadline this year?

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

Good on the Jets for beating Crosby and his Penguins in the Peg last night. One thing forsure, there are no easy wins this year in NHL. We can try and diminish certain teams, but with such a bizarre year (no training camp, no exhibition) seems every game is up for grabs. Devils barely get past Caps in OT yesterday, Ottawa losing to Tampa , every night lots of surprise winners.

Hopefully Habs can keep this going, would be nice if they could find one more Dman to help out.

• Loonie says:

Say who’s that guy in the video buddy? He looks pretty good.

Never thought of that! And it wouldn’t even require a trade. Okay, sign him! I will re-iterate that I am still relieved that neither side is negotiating in the media (or at least not leaking numbers etc).

While we are all frustrated by the ongoing stalemate, at least it isn’t ugly between both sides, or not yet….

• Loonie says:

I like your enthusiasm but that’s debatable. Subban picked up his toys and went home for the weekend after yesterday’s discussions.

According to Pierre LeBrun Bergevin’s willing to go to three years. I think maybe they’re starting to use the media to negotiate…..both sides.

Not good in my opinion but I hope it’s just Lebrun speaking out of turn and Subban wanting to get a family perspective on the offer.

14. TheAmerican says:

Maybe we should try for more than mediocrity. From my perspective, PK’s stock remains high if signing him helps our chances to win the Cup. Whether we win in Washington in January is irrelevant to the value of his “stock.”
    My one thought for PK — Hockey players play hockey. What do you do?
    My one thought for the GM — In three years you are going to wish you signed the guy for seven.

• The Cat says:

Well said. Subban was one of the best players in the playoff run, habs got to stop minimizing players that deliver when it COUNTS the most.

15. Captain aHab says:

Think Subban will have a special 30 minute show to give us his decision like LeBron after “talking to his family all weekend” (:rolleyes:)? I really really liked Subban – my kid has his jersey – but he really really has to get over himself. If he’s that much of a drama queen for a RFA contract, imagine what it’ll be like when he’s a UFA?

Maybe on Monday, he’ll demand a trade to Toronto and only to Toronto?

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

16. filincal says:

Is it fair to assume that PK isn’t giving the Habs a “hometown discount” (I know he’s from TO)?
    Maybe he doesn’t want to be here as much as he says. I like the player, but have a hard time swallowing him asking for ‘what he deserves’. I can’t remember too many Red Wing players demanding that from their GM.
    …I’m all torn up.

• The Cat says:

Its different, nothing in Detroit is under a microscope and Detroit players arent exactly charismatic and quotable and not many of them have english as their first language either.

• showey47 says:

Three years or four years ago bertuzzi told me thats why he signed in detroit. He could play for a contender which basically is behind any other pro sports team and even the college sports in media coverage.

• Good Habit says:

I live in Vancouver and many Canucks (including recently signed Alex Edler) have taken less to play here. Simply because they like the team and the city. I wish more Habs players and UFA’s would take less to play in MTL simply because it is an awesome place to play hockey. It would be my dream come true to play hockey for the Habs. I’d do it for what I’m making now… And that ain’t much!

17. RiverviewCanadien says:

“But for my style of game and for what I do for the team, the amount of minutes I play and for what I bring to the table, I have to be fairly compensated.”

Just stop digging the hole man…yes we are better with you PK, but reading that, don’t think I want you playing for Les Glorieux. You don’t deserve to.

Maybe Therrien is right in saying he would like to make PK a better person. I am sure he knows MORE about him than anyone posting on this site…in fact, I would guarantee it.

18. Stevie.Ray says:

PK had packed on 20 lbs of muscle in the summer, and maybe more since then. I need to see him in a Habs jersey again.

19. commandant says:

2 assists for Bozon tonight…. 4 game point streak (6 points)

Hudon with 2 goals 1 assist…. 3 game streak (6 points).. 14 in 10 since his injury.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Stevie.Ray says:

How many prospects will make the jump to the AHL next season? Just Dietz, Kristo, and Achambault? Anyone from Europe?

• commandant says:

Mac Bennett could be signed.

Dalton Thrower could make the jump (late birthday ala Beaulieu).

Magnus Nygren I bet the Habs will attempt to sign out of Sweden.

Decisions to be made on Dustin Walsh (NCAA) Daniel Pribyl (Czech),

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Good Habit says:

I could see Collberg coming over. I think he can next year. I personally think the AHL would be better for him than the SEL. He is playing a lot better though since being called up again and he’s getting more ice time. The guy is a shootout wizard.

• 24 Cups says:

I’d be very surprised if Collberg plays in NA next year. The WJC is in Sweden and I bet he’ll want to help bring gold to his home country.

As for all the players listed above, only a small handful will ever get to play for the Habs. Collberg is still probably the best Hab prospect not playing pro hockey.

I thought I heard someone say or read somewhere that indeed Collberg was planning to stay another year in Sweden.

• commandant says:

The Swedish WJC coach (who really loves Collberg) is taking over Frolunda next season. So I think he wants one more year with him.

As for “best prospect not playing pro hockey”… I don’t know about that. He’s playing in the Elitserien against men. I call that pro hockey. Its pretty close to AHL caliber, not quite but close.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

20. Habilis says:

A link to this vid was posted earlier but it deserves a bump.

I dare you not to smile while watching that.

21. christophor says:

This Subban stuff is just a chance for media to sensationalize in order to maximize hits and so money. That’s the only reason I can think of for this – let’s be honest – nonsense. The idea that MB goes into these negotiations with a printed copy of the latest boxscore is absurd.

Just goes to show that the INCREDIBLY local/immediately-focused memory of a large chuck of the Habs fan base is spurred on by a few absurd media pundits.

Stubbs is the only one who seems to want to report accurately instead of with the goal of stirring the pot. Even Mackenzie’s recently stooped to moderate sensationalism – or at least TSN has on the heels of his moderately stated opinion re: the Subban scenario.

Refreshing to read about a player like Prust during this Subban circus. I didn’t know he won the Memorial Cup with the London Knights either. Played on the top line with Corey Perry and later in a shut down role against Crosby. Excellent article and excellent signing.

• commandant says:

That London team was one of the best CHL teams I’ve ever seen.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Dulljerk says:

Ya, Crusty Prusty was one of the toughest boys in the OHL during that period.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• Chris says:

Yeah, but they were also the most enormous groups of jerks that the CHL has perhaps ever seen as well.

Before Corey Perry and the rest of that team, I had no strong feelings on the Knights. But after watching them play a lot (Guelph-London had a huge rivalry in those two seasons, with Guelph upsetting them in 2003-04, they are now easily my most hated team (surpassing Oshawa).

The only player on that team that I had even a modicum of respect for after watching them live so many times was Danny Syvret. The rest of them were just loathsome. Dirty players and divers galore, all lead by one Corey Perry, who remains one of the most reviled OHL players in arenas throughout Ontario, with the exception of London. And it wasn’t jealousy. :)

• Dulljerk says:

Agreed, Corey Perry was a nasty mofo. I was living in Owen Sound and saw that Knights team a lot. They would do anything to win. But I do admit, I did like Prust. Always fought the other team’s heavyweight. Syvret was very good. Whatever happened to those Hunter kids?

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• BK says:

I had season tickets that year, it was amazing

Time for changes

23. naweed235 says:

Subban who?

24. Hockey Bob says:

PK will never wear the CH again trust me in this he is as good as gone.

Selfish showboats not allowed, I will take a hard working team player.

Stop reading your press clippings PK and sign a bridge contract or be a sports talking head and flog Cars and kicks.

25. HabFanSince72 says:

Pat Hickey writes in his weekly Pitter Pat-ter column that Subban’s stock is falling with each Canadiens win and that he is hurting his brand during the contract squabble.

“He is playing into the hands of what I call the haters and the doubters —

So are you Pat.

So are you.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• I want those five minutes back for reading Hickey’s piece. What was I thinking?

I avoided posting on HIO for a year, specifically because of a piece of garbage he wrote on Theo Fleury.

Sleepy must realize that so far, the Habs have played two non-contenders and a supposed contender that can’t find any direction.

That said, Subban’s “stock” hasn’t changed.

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

• christophor says:

I know we all should be aware of our own potential homerism-bias but it’s somewhat reassuring when I recognize that PH is somewhat of a…. ahem…. that I’m at least to some extent able to recognize media hoo-hah in my own backyard.

26. Sportfan says:

You know what I kind of believe that this Subban stuff isn’t a distraction in the locker room. This team is too smart to let the business side of hockey effect them. Aside the reporters bugging them about the situation I don’t think it matters to them. When they practice they practice as a team without him and do their own thing when PK signs then they will add him in the system.

• Dulljerk says:

I don’t think the majority of the players on the team are all that upset that Sub is holding out, I think Eric Cole doesn’t mind him not being around.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

27. habstrinifan says:

If HABS does NOT sign Subban, this post is MOOT. But if they do sign Subban, and MB/Therrien want it to be a plus going forward then they both better read TSN.CA’s article on Nail Yakupov’s goal and his celebration… and the ‘public’ response from the Oilers players and the Oilers coach… and then recall the public response from the HABS players and JM two years (??) ago… and also recall Therrien’s words on Subban (after he became the coach and from which he is retreating a bit).

Whatever the resolution, there is a dressing room problem and once (or is it if) as a HABS fan I hope the team addresses the issue AND makes sure that they all learn that ‘public solidarity’ is essential.

Of course if they DO NOT sign Subban then it doesn’t matter except….

• CanadienBoy says:

PK will be worth a lot to team with poor attendances like Florida or Islanders and they could very well over paid for him hey even Calgary to compete with the Oilers in the public relation

28. commandant says:

Again on the idea that every win proves we can live without Subban and he’s worth less to us.

Imagine this scenario…. we are a solid looking playoff team at the trade deadline, and Bergevin has the ability to add a very good hockey player to our team giving up nothing more than cap space. Wouldn’t you still want that player to make your team even better?

Aren’t you always trying to improve your team, whether you are in first place or fighting for that last playoff spot?

So how does this idea that we’ve won a couple games, we don’t need him anymore, keep finding popularity?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

29. Andy and the habs says:

PK to Columbus for 1st round pick of 2013 and 1st round pick for 2014.

• JayK-47 says:

Ryan Murray and all 3 of their first round picks this year.

• Andy and the habs says:

5 second round picks for 2013 through 2017. There might be another PK out there who does not have negative experience from the past on bridges.

• JayK-47 says:

Wow.

Just…. Wow.

• The Jackal says:

We got a Leaf Fan over here!

_________________________
          “PK Subban is an integral part of the team, a hard-working player who is extremely talented, and part of any bright future the Habs may strive for.” – Gunnery Captain Obvious & Brigadier General Knowledge.

• Andy and the habs says:

Just playing around. I love PK and I know he will be needed in this team. But he shouldn’t get a special treatment just because he wishes it. I hope the media is wrong and he is not trying to force MB to sign him a long term contract.

30. jedimyrmidon says:

My main thought as the media ramps up its coverage on Subban like a school of frenzied sharks: I hope Bergevin, Meehan, Subban and his family haven’t been paying attention to them at all. At all.

My impression from the media is quite negative, and other than the time it has taken, I don’t see any concrete evidence why ‘trade’ is being brought up so frequently – that certainly isn’t/wasn’t the case for Benn or O’Reilly.

In fact, I hope some fans chant “We want PK.” just to establish that he’s still a valuable part of the team. I don’t know, I’m probably overreacting to all these articles, but that’s just my reaction after seeing things like “PK is an UNRESTRICTED free agent” on the TSN article.

31. habs_54321 says:

anyone know of a free streaming site to watch nhl games

32. simoa says:

3rd round pick we got with recchi was Martin hohenberger who really tore it up in Austrian league in case anyone was wondering

33. ds says:

Trading Subban is as dumb an idea as trading Patrick Roy.

People here fantasize we’re going to get fair value, we got mid-range prospects for Halak coming off a huge playoffs. There’s no way we get fair value for one of the best young defensemen (top 5) in the NHL today.

Give Subban 5 mill/year and dump Kaberle it pretty much balances out in our favour big time.

People get giddy we won a couple of games, Markov is one hit into the boards from sitting out another two years, and where was the offense vs Toronto? Diaz & Kaberle on D is a bad combination regardless, Subban can play against the best in the NHL and comes out on top more often than not.

• vince8_31 says:

well said,

pk will sign, everyone has to relax.

you got donkeys saying get e.kane and a first from winnipeg or silliness from philly…eh guys why dont we get crosby/malkin and a first from pittsburgh while we’re at it.
      stupid.

• otter649 says:

Every player in the league is one hit/collosion away from being injured seriously & out for an extended length of time or getting hit by the puck from your own teammate like Lupul & Hartnell and being out for up to two months. Hockey is a contact sport so injuries happen it’s part of the game so no use worrying about Markov if he gets hurt then he gets hurt…….

• BK says:

I like this comment

Time for changes

34. helluva habs fan says:

Reading through all of these Subban posts reminds me of 5 days ago when I read through all of those Subban posts.

35. vince8_31 says:

All of you shut up with your scenarios.

P.K. isnt going anywhere, he’ll sign.
    hes the best thing to happen to the habs since carey price. Them two together along with gally and patches are the poster boys of the habs from now and the future.
    Its just a big deal and so much hype because we’re dealing with the habs.

lay off it, relax
    hes staying in montreal.

• jols101 says:

Alrighty Vince, not sure you grasp the concept of discussion boards.

• vince8_31 says:

i do, but youre all just creating stress and anxiety for yourselves.
        he will sign early next week. lets stop with the trading bologna, its silly

• jols101 says:

I’m not stressed about Subban at all. I am a fan of the CH on the front of the jersey and not the name on the back. I hope MB signs Subban but not for 5-6 million a year. And if MB decides to trade him then that is what the General Manager of my favorite team decided to do and I will still love the Habs. I just want a resolution soon, one way or the other.

• vince8_31 says:

ya i understand, fair enough.

the idea of him playing for another team makes me sick though,
            sign the kid, give him what he wants

if kaberle is making this disgusting cash then buy him out too and give the kid what he wants, he wont disappoint

• jols101 says:

Agree with you except for “give him what he wants”.

• ProHabs says:

He is gone by the end of February.

36. port elgin says:

P.K is a legend in his own mind. Not a team player at all. Give me more money. Therrien will butt heads with him big time. Go away P.K, you’re getting to be annoying.

• The Jackal says:

^ No idea what you’re talking about

_________________________

37. jols101 says:

Love the overblown sense of worth attach to PK on this site.

PK to Jets for Kane and a 1st round pick or Couturier and draft picks. Jets and Philly would be hard pressed to give Kane or Couturier straight up for PK. The Habs would probably have to sweeten the pot to get one of those guys not the other way around.

• ProHabs says:

Glad u are not the habs gm jols

• jols101 says:

Just telling you like it is. PK won’t get another team’s franchise young player like Kane AND a first round pick. You would have to be totally delusional to think that.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I think he means that you seem more than willing to immediately part with Subban because… because of what? Because the outside world actually knows what he wants (speculation doesn’t count) and knows what Bergevin is offering?

Edit: Oh, didn’t see his comment below.

• jols101 says:

That is not what I am saying at all. Posters for the last couple of days have been posting trades that were down right crazy. I want to sign Subban but if there is a trade some people’s expectations of what the Habs will get in return is ludicrous.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I despise any trade talks because it seems like this is history repeating itself (in an extremely, utterly negative way). When you have a young player like Subban who obviously hasn’t quite proven himself, but is certainly on the cusp of becoming a very special player after his astronomical development over the past few years… you are seriously setting yourself up to lose a trade especially if teams will be seeking to lowball the Habs based on phantom ‘character’ issues and such.

• wild flower says:

PK wouldn’t go straight up for Bogosian. Why would the Jets want PK? Even w/o Bogosian, Enstrom, Byfuglien, ect had no problems with Sidney C tonight. Trouba was a bigger part of U.S. junior win than Galchenyuk.

38. simoa says:

Last time we traded a D to Philly was desjardins, leclair and Gilbert Dionne for recchi and 3rd round pick. Let’s not get burned again…

39. port elgin says:

The habs are playing like a strong cohesive unit. Subban is now the black sheep of the team. It’s all me, me ,me. Well no it isn’t. You are a colorful player no doubt but you are not larger than the team. The team is white hot without you. If you don’t like the offer to play for the most storied franchise of all time then you can stay home.

40. ProHabs says:

Ha ha. The subban asked for a lazy boy in the dressing room comment was hilarious. Subban to the jets for Kane and a first

• CanadienBoy says:

if PK going to be traded they better sale to the highest buyer plain and simple and if u think of it he’s no trade close so better be good , one top first rounder ready to play ,one new 1 rder D still in junior and one draft pick

41. punkster says:

Jets!..,now that was exciting.

***FREE PK!!!***

42. simoa says:

I agree, hope flyers don’t pry him away.

43. jols101 says:

Crazy pressure by the Pens but the Jets ice it with an empty netter.

44. HabFab says:

A very interesting look at minor hockey in Canada;

45. HabFab says:

So basically PK has the weekend to decide if he wants to play with the Habs.
    Correct me if I’m missing something.

• Ron says:

I seem to be missing something as well Frank. There seems to be abit more from what we have heard him saying the right things about wanting to stay a Hab. Is he thinking the short term deal as we think was offered or is he wanting to cut ties and go for bigger bucks elsewhere ? Drama to say the least.

• port elgin says:

Better go talk to Daddy, like Michael Jackson. Make up your own mind P.K. Your not as good as you think you are.

46. simoa says:

Rumor from Philly is couturier, rinaldo and draft picks for subban

47. chilli says:

It really feels like the media is turning on PK. I’m not talking the round table discussions on sports shows, I’m talking Montreal print newspapers. In Ken Dryden’s book that I read as a kid, he talks about how the media would never start writing negative pieces until management had tipped them off that player x was going to be shipped out of town…. or, if the media simply wanted that player out.

This sudden turn feels like one of those moments.

To start a piece by saying Subban’s stock falling with the wins – the Habs have won 2 games against 2 really bad teams. If Markov gets hurt, if Price doesn’t stand on his head….

C’mon, they know better than that.

This feels like the ‘he’s being shipped out of town’ moment from the 70′s.

I hope he stays. He’s a special player. I know some of the players don’t like him, but he’s still a special player.

Tre

• BK says:

if there was a like button I’d click it!

Time for changes

• Saintpatrick33 says:

It’s not only the media that’s turning on him. If HISO is any indication of how the fans feel towards him now it’s all aboard the Subban hate bandwagon. I’m betting that those same fans were singing his praises when he first entered the league. It will also be those same fans that will look back 4 or 5 years from now once Subban is a star playing top 2 minutes for another team wishing he was still on the Habs.

48. Kevy says:

I wonder if he asked for his own Lazyboy inthe locker room a la Barry Bonds?

The idea of value is subjective. If the Habs keep winning without Subban in the line-up it could easily be argued that Subban’s value to the Habs diminishes. It could also be argued that adding Subban to a winning line-up would up the value of the Habs in that they would become an even better team.

It could also prove to be disruptive, at least on the short term. That is why I don’t think Subban will play the first game back after he signs, but rather will need to practice with the team for a few days or more, being a healthy scratch until he gets inserted into the line-up.

In lieu of these stalled negotiations I don’t expect him to be handed first pairing minutes immediately either and will have to earn his ice time. I think that this was the plan well before this contract negotiation impasse occurred. I suspect Bergevin and his staff are working on building a real team and are not interested in pandering to players, the media or the fans.

Subban, if he wishes to have a future as a Hab, will have to allow himself to be developed. I am not saying that there will be an orchestrated effort to break him like a horse needing a saddle, but rather that he’ll have to earn his free rein, and when he does run free accept that their will be reins directing him if need be.

It stands to reason that should Subban return, he would have to adapt to the team’s new meritocracy, not the other way around.

• BK says:

why do you think he cant be a team player or that he wants the team to cater to him, what makes you think there is any issues with him in the room?

Time for changes

• HardHabits says:

Why do you imagine that I say things that I didn’t say? In no way did I even come close to stating what you suggest.

But to answer your questions:

1) I have no doubt that Subban can be not just a team player, but a very good addition to any NHL team.

2) I don’t know of any issues in the room and if you’ve read any of my posts you won’t see one comment where I have suggested it.

IMHHO, Subban has raw talent in abundance. I think he has the potential to be an elite defence man one day but I won’t give him that distinction yet, at least not at this stage of his career. He has much more to play, to accomplish and to prove before he can be spoken of in such terms.

• jols101 says:

HH, well said. I couldn’t agree more and certainly couldn’t have said it any better. Great post.

50. Wintercount says:

in a somewhat related/unrelated story, the ubiquitous pierre mcguire further endeared himself to the hockey fan by uttering a record 172 personal pronouns on his stint w melnick today.
    … making it a grand total of 576 for the week.
    Churchill himself, used less during the whole of the”big war”

51. jols101 says:

This Jets/Pens game is awesome.

52. Mavid says:

great video..miss Subban..I hope they sort it out soon and we can enjoy watching him again :-)

53. frontenac1 says:

Caps tie it up!

54. CCL says:

if MB loads PK’s Pockets.we’ll have to let players go next year. I said it before. MB don’t make a Gomez mistake.

55. HabFab says:

CraigCustance – Couple teams looking for D have inquired about Brent Sopel, playing in the KHL (10 pts in 45 games). Shot-blocker, won Cup w/Blackhawks.

56. HabFab says:

Mid season grades for the Bulldog forwards;

57. Yukon B says:

Its all about trying to find a contract that will keep Subban happy as well as allow the Canadiens to continue building the core of the team. Too much money coupled with missed expectations and the team as well as Subban risk a Gomez type end to his tenure here, and more years of mediocrity as we fill the roster with Darches and Pyatts because we have no cap room left. I will be disappointed if he ends up traded, but I will also be disappointed if we end up over-paying. Tough situations like this take time to settle.

How does one respond to a thread title such as this?

The Subban “issue” is so much bigger than any won/lost record, whether it be for three games or thirty (regardless of which side you might be on).

I feel that this Subban circus has become Entertainment Tonight or TMZ.

I’m starting to miss the lockout and it’s inane daily debates.

59. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Hopeless poll question over there – looks like they hired the question writer from the weather network site. Make the playoffs without Subban? Make the playoffs with Subban?
    The only certainties in life are meaningless squabbles, death and bad hockey trades.

60. BK says:

I love PK Subban playing for the Canadiens, he is a really good young player and he will be a great hockey player. I love watching him play and I hope I get to continue watching him play for years in a Habs jersey. Haters turn on anyone any time the press writes a negative opinion about them. I can’t be the only one that thinks the fans and media have pressured the top brass to make some ill advised moves in the past that have came back to haunt us. If PK was reading this Id want him to know that more than a few educated hockey fans think he’s worth at least a 3 year $4 million deal. I personalty believe he is a beast and hes only getting stronger and better and he will be a great piece of the puzzle that is success. I don’t want the club to get screwed either but I think this player is worth the gamble, the potential far out weighs the risk and I hope both sides work something out so that PK is with this team for years to come. Just one fans thoughts.
    Time for changes

• TheCos says:

Anybody think what would happen if Markov goes down again? I’m a little nervous considering his health track record for the past few years. Considering that, maybe some people might want to rethink the PK situation. If Markov did to down again, would his salary count against the cap?

Freedom is the right to BE wrong, not the right to DO wrong!

61. Strummer says:

Anyone see Lucic vs. Carkner tonight?

Pretty inconclusive I say.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

62. frontenac1 says:

What’s going on with the Islanders? They smoked the Laffs last night and are taking it to the Bruins tonight.Keith Aucoin has 2 goals tonight..Didn’t the Laffs put him on waivers this year?

63. Propwash says:

My son caught gastro, can’t go to the car show after all and get the chance to meet Price and Gorges :/
    #blamesubban

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

64. commandant says:

I really hope our GM doesn’t make all his decisions based on single game wins and losses as Hickey suggests.

Imagine if Carey Price has a stinker of a game next week and lets in 9 goals. Does that mean its time to trade him to the Avalanche for the poo-poo platter, cause he clearly doesn’t have it anymore?

If Bergevin watches tonights Isles/Bruins game and sees career AHLer Keith Aucoin with 2 goals, should we give up the farm in a trade for him?

PKs price doesn’t go up with every loss and down with every win… thats a GM letting emotion get the best of him, and is no way to run a hockey team.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Price07 says:

PK’s biggest bargaining chip is that the team can’t win without him because he’s too important. Well each win proves the opposite. Are the habs better with Subban in the lineup? Sure they are and I’m sure Bergevin knows that. But he is following a process that makes sense. A process where a young guy coming off a rookie contract does not break the bank right away (unless he’s a superstar a la Tavares, Stamkos etc). Mike Green was a superstar at first and now he completely cooled off. Bergevin is totally doing the right thing going slow until he’s more certain about what he has here.

Subban is a very good player but he is by no means a superstar that deserves whatever he desires. Subban played a ton of minutes last year, but the D was decimated and he stepped up which is great. This year Markov is back, we realize what we’ve been missing with him. Also, Subban is gone and Diaz is stepping up. Someone always steps up. Doesn’t mean that player deserves to be paid more than everyone else.

I don’t know (and not sure anyone does) what Bergevin is offering but I see no problem with a 2 year 3-4 million dollar contract to prove if Subban is either a 4 or 6 million dollar player. Bergevin knows that either way he will be able to pay Subban in the future, he just wants to make sure he pays him appropriately and it isn’t going to give a long term deal to a player who has only 2 years under his belt.

65. alfieturcotte says:

Anyone who feels the Canadiens would be better off without Subban must have not watched a Canadiens game for the past 2-3 seasons. He has been our best player (by far). That Bergevin and Therrien fail to grasp that makes me numb. Three games does not a season make. Bergevin get your head out of your arse and sign Subban!

• Strummer says:

Why can’t Subban get HIS head out of HIS ass and play the RFA game like Price did on Price’s second contract?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Price07 says:

Right on Strummer…he’s acting like he’s bigger than the team. No one is, certainly not a young guy who MIGHT be a star. Remember when Mike Green was an awesome young dman? And now…?

• chanchilla says:

how do you know he won’t take a bridge contract? no one knows what term/money is being offered, or what term/money subban wants…

66. Hobie Hansen says:

Well it seems like there’s a possibility of finding out where things stand between the Canadiens and Subban on Monday.

Similar to the lockout, Subban’s agent will probably stall a bit longer and hope Montreal loses a couple games next week. The fans will starting crying for the team to sign the defenseman which could pocket Subban a bit more coin.

• commandant says:

Just like I hope Bergevin isn’t weighing this by every win and loss, I also hope he isn’t weighing this by fan pressure.

The fans chanting “we want PK” last thursday didn’t raise his value, nor a few guys booing him on tuesday.

I believe it was Sam Pollock who once said, “If you start listening to the fans, you’ll soon be sitting with them”

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

67. The Cat says:

Wins are win but the 2 wins arent what Id get too excited about. Caps have troubles. There appears to be a character assassination in effect it seems.

• Phil C says:

You are right that the wins themselves are meaningless.

What is encouraging is how they are playing: a better forecheck, more aggressive trap, strong backcheck, great puck movement on the powerplay, standing up for each other.

It may not be enough against the stronger teams in the East, that remains to be seen. But it is encouraging nonetheless.

• SlovakHab says:

A win is never meaningless.
        I am stoked we have those points, might mean the difference between playoffs and golfing 2 seasons in a row.

• JF says:

Agree. We may still have trouble against the Bruins, Penguins and others, but it really looks as though the team is on the right path. They’re playing much better as a team, with good puck support and a far better transition game. The days of dump-and-chase seem to be over, also the days of trying to protect a one-goal lead by sitting back passively in our own zone. We need to be patient, enjoy the victories and the good team chemistry, and keep our expectations moderate for this season. I think Bergevin and his team are getting this right.

68. bigjames says:

ok just for fun and pure speculation with no basis in fact:

canucks gm gillis said he is waiting for another trade to take place before finalizing the luongo trade.

so what if habs deal PK to philly who in return ships him to vancouver for Lou. sure other players would be involved but those guys are the key.

if not philly than same as above with caps or any other team that wants Lou.

how would PK fit in VAN?

69. JohnBellyful says:

Just logged in, not plugged in. Whassup?

70. Mondou6 says:

First! What do I win? :)

Also, kind of interesting that Cole was the only player with nothing to prove who skated at the optional practice. All the other guys there had damn well have better been there.

• Habtastic says:

I dunno, after the first 3 games, IMO he has the MOST to prove. He’s been stinkin’ it up, but he started slow last year. (Although he’s getting plenty of ice time.) It’ll come, but I would say he’s exactly the guy I would definitely want at the optional practice. Get his timing right.

————–
      The Drive for 25

71. Strummer says:

they stopped it pretty quickly, Lucic had the upper hand but it was far from over

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

72. jols101 says:

Big Buff putting on a bit of a show in the 2nd period. I’m amazed a man that size can move so effortlessly on the ice.

73. jols101 says:

I also loved Wheeler’s dish to Kane on their 1st goal. Ya, love the way Vokoun flashed the glove on that save.

74. Habilis says:

According to capgeek, we have 6.4 million in cap space right now. That seems like plenty of room. Remember, Galchenyuk’s bonuses don’t count as going over the cap.

75. K-hab25 says:

This is not true. If his bonus money makes go over the cap this year, we can subtract it from next years cap, but that’s when the cap drops by almost 6 mill. We need every dollar next year.

76. kazmojo says:

This year’s pro-rated cap is $70M+. Next year it goes down to $64M+. And next year, Desharnais will likely be seeking a big bump in salary, which crowds the cap even further. Bergevin’s ace card: one more player can be bought out next year without a cap hit, like Gomez this year. I’m guessing that’s Kaberle, given his salary and underproduction. Would be interesting if Subban got Kaberle-like money.

77. commandant says:

There are 48 games instead of 82 this year. The bonuses do not get pro-rated. How many do you think he’ll hit?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

78. K-hab25 says:

I get what you’re saying and you’re probably right, but that doesn’t change what he was saying isn’t true.

79. Loonie says:

Paul Dipietro was a keeper if the ’93 playoffs are the only example we’re using.

80. Chris says:

Yes I did.

Did YOU watch the 1993-94 season that followed those 1992-93 playoffs? Turnabout is a fair game, after all.

Remember the 1989-90 playoffs? John Druce, a 23 year old winger for the Washington Capitals, scored 14 goals and 17 points in 15 games. He then peaked at 21 goals for the rest of his career.

Remember Steve Penny in 1984? Chris Kontos in 1989? 24 year old Ruslan Fedotenko in 2004? Sean Bergenheim in 2011?

If it was all based on playoff runs, there would be a lot more Hall-of-Famers out there. Everybody was excited to see Leclair take that big step forward in Montreal in 1993-94. He didn’t.

And then he got off to a terrible start in Montreal (1 goal in 9 games) in 1994-95 before the trade. John Leclair was NEVER going to score 50 goals in Montreal. Some players need to find the right fit. Playing alongside Lindros and Renberg was that fit for Leclair.

81. showey47 says:

They didn’t want brian savage instead. They wanted leclair from the beginning.Someone to play with lindros and to help take some of the physical burden away from him. I was a big john leclair fan from the beginning,i saw his potential and was pissed when he was traded.

82. Chris says:

The value of pretty much every player on the roster, most especially Subban, is probably a lot lower than most posters think.

We tend to think that every one of our guys is as valuable as every other team’s star players. Then we complete a trade and get quarters back for our “dollars” and we rant and rave. :)

83. 44har48 says:

they were all part of the 15th place problem…good points.

84. Chris says:

Now do Gilbert Dionne.

In that same “dominant” playoff run of Leclair’s (4 goals and 10 points in 20 games), Gilbert Dionne posted 6 goals and 12 points in the same number of games.

Dionne went on to fizzle out, while Leclair found his dream-line with Renberg and Lindros, helping him mature and develop into a guy who very much WAS one of the best players in all of hockey. But it was far from certain that it would ever happen in Montreal.

85. Loonie says:

No. You just used Leclair’s ’93 playoffs as a reason to keep him. Unrealized potential and a dollar-fifty will get you a cup of coffee.

86. Cal says:

The Flyers wanted Desjardins. The idiots at Hab Central gave them Leclair, too. I hate thinking what we got in return.

87. Chris says:

Markov gave the Habs a discount when he came out of his entry level deal despite being the team’s best defenceman the season before.

Markov signed a 3-year, $4.8 M bridge contract, averaging just over $1.5 M per season.

88. Loonie says:

That site is incorrect. This team has over six million in cap space.

89. commandant says:

People should really use CapGeek. A much better website.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

I think Cap Geek’s adding up is incorrect. I’ve done the math and the Habs don’t have 6 million. Even if they did, no way should it all go to Subban.

If you add Cap Geeks figures the Habs cap hit is 67.087 million

According to my calculations the Habs have 3.113 million in space + 900,000 for a waived Gomez = roughly 4 million.

91. Hobie Hansen says:

Yes but with GameCenter you won’t get the Habs games if the game is available where you live on TSN, CBC or Sportsnet. Or any other team playing on those networks.

92. HabFab says:

Gentlemen, the site is accurate as per the two players on the IR. Two salaries will disappear when all are healthy. All being equal, there will be $4-5 ML available.

93. jols101 says:

When you take away Galchenyuk’s bonus money that leaves close to 6.4 million like Cap Geek says. They are the best site to check for Cap related issues.

94. HabFab says:

The Habs can’t afford to eat Galchenyuk’s bonus money next season so no!!

Does the bonus count against the cap or not? If it does the space is 4M.

96. jols101 says:

Correct, they won’t have to eat it. Bonuses aren’t pro rated for the 48 game sked so Gally will never reach them, so it won’t be an issue.

97. HabFab says:

Bonus counts against the Cap @ HH

98. jols101 says:

Only if they are reached.

It’s a signing bonus not a performance one. Therefore the cap space is more like 4M.

100. jols101 says:

Signing bonus is $92,500. The rest of the 2.3 million is performance bonuses.

101. otter649 says:

Galchenyuk performance bonuses are 2.3 million & his signing bonus is $92,500.00 (10% of his players contract 925,000.00). His performance/signing bonus amount is the same for three years so the performance bonuses are probably the same for three years. Jonathan Toews got a million dollar bonus for winning The Conn Symthe Trophy on his EL contract so the million dollars went against The Hawks salary cap the next season since it could not have been applied that season since there is no salary cap in the playoffs and could not have been applied since the season was over when the award was given out….

I need to investigate further. Even so. The Habs need the wiggle room. IMO, 4 million is all they can afford this season without risking going over the cap. Even at that they have little if any option to add players unless they can trade Kaberle.

103. commandant says:

Due to the number of games he played for the Bulldogs and the fact he is on SOIR he does not count at 100% of his salary as that site claims. It is a percentage based amount, taking into account his 2 way contract and percentage of time in the AHL last year.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

104. commandant says:

Just go to Capgeek.com and get the correct numbers.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

105. I’d sit Desharnais and see how Eller fairs between Cole and Pacioretty.

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

106. jols101 says:

If they sit DD, which they won’t, I would rather see Galchenyuk between Max and Cole. See what the kid can do when given the proper ice time.

107. Loonie says:

Or acquired Kaberle

108. Mr. Biter says:

Anybody see PK tossing the puck?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

109. Stormin says:

And that Kaberle contract is one of the things , i would think that burns PK in his sleep knowing that Kaberle will still make more cheese than him, but i still say business is business, he is caught in the RFA time frame and the fact we just had a lockout , the team just bought out Gomez etc.. MB and Molson i do not think are in the mood to throw out big money right now, but his time to get paid will come, I know you probably do not agree with the bridge for a stud like PK on D, but i do think it fits for this situation, and maybe he will get extended right after the season ends..

110. SHUTTemDOWN says:

BINGO!
    So much wasted $$…so much left to backfire

“The sh*t is CHESS!NOT CHECKERS.”

111. Loonie says:

If I’m PK, and I feel obligated to take a bridge deal, it’s at no less than ten million.

112. punkster says: