Subban’s stock falling with each Habs win

winweb

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin met with unsigned restricted free agent P.K. Subban and his agent, Don Meehan, Friday in Toronto and the word is that the defenceman will use the weekend to mull over his options.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey writes in his weekly Pitter Pat-ter column that Subban’s stock is falling with each Canadiens win and that he is hurting his brand during the contract squabble.

“He is playing into the hands of what I call the haters and the doubters — the people who believe he is a selfish and overrated player,” Hickey writes. “Subban answered those charges last season when he changed his playing style, concentrated on playing better defence and led the team in ice time and defence scoring.”

TSN’s Darren Dreger tweeted this on Saturday morning: “Little or no progress made in PK Subban contract negotiations. Habs firm on 2 year deal, roughly $5 mil total. Offer sheet? Trade? Options.”

TSN’s Bob McKenzie has already stated: “I think it’s ultimately heading toward a trade.”

Friday’s practice in Brossard was an optional one following Thursday’s 4-1 win in Washington. Taking part in the practice were goalie Peter Budaj, defencemen Tomas Kaberle and Yannick Weber, and forwards Erik Cole, Travis Moen, Colby Armstrong, Brandon Prust, Lars Eller, Ryan White, Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher.

The Canadiens practise again at 11 a.m. Saturday in Brossard and the 24 CH reality show has its premiere at 10:30 p.m. Saturday on RDS with the English premiere slated for 8 p.m. on Feb. 4 on TSN.

Here are some stories to keep you busy as we wait for Sunday’s game against the New Jersey Devils at the Bell Centre (6 p.m., RDS, TSN 690 Radio).

Subban hurting his brand in contract dispute, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens insist Subban saga isn’t a distraction, by Dave Stubbs

Brandon Prust Fan Club keeps on growing, by Stu Cowan

Time isn’t always wasted in the sin bin, by Dave Stubbs

The kids are all right with Canadiens, by Pat Hickey

Pitter Pat-ter notebook, by Pat Hickey

Photo gallery from Friday’s Habs practice in Brossard

Devils’ Stephen Gionta looking forward to facing brother Brian in Montreal, by New Jersey Star-Ledger

Devils are a not-so-perfect 3-0 after win over Capitals Friday night, by New Jersey Star-Ledger

And finally, happy birthday to The Great One, Wayne Gretzky, who turns 52 on Saturday.

(Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)

1. habsprophet says:

This title seems more than a little asinine… if Subban’s stock ‘falls’ with each Hab’s win then it hasn’t fallen very much at all. Habs need to become a good team and we need PK for that. Two flukey wins at start of shortened season don’t add up to very much.

If you can’t find it within yourself to stand up, tell the truth… you don’t deserve to wear that uniform

2. HABitual Fan says:

As someone said on HNIC last night, this is really the only contract where management is in the driver’s seat. Next contract, he’ll be free to walk…and it’s that business model, the lack of loyalty on all parts that makes us fickle as fans. I like PK and I don’t want to see him play anywhere else, but this team is perhaps just a piece or two from being a serious contender (unless they run into a pile of injuries) and the pie is only big enough to give each his share. If PK gets what he wants will there still be money left to buy the missing pieces…or does he really care? I’m with management on this one…the kid is going to do alright financially and the team seems to be jelling nicely without him… (and then came the Devils!)

3. wall2bay says:

Easy way to solve this problem is for MB to call Sather and ask Del Zotto for Subban! After all this is fair value according to MB meanwhile this would be the best thing to happen to Sather since the Gomez-McDonough trade!

4. doug19 says:

I believe it may turn out that Don Meehan Subban’s agent is not that swift a negoatiator. Why? Because the Habs are not expected to make the playoffs let alone win the Stanley Cup this year. But in two years things likely will be much different putting Subban in an excellent contract negotiating position. It would be interesting to know the major characters in this. Is it; Subban,Meehan parents,MB,owners,coaches,scouts,accountants? If this continues all 3 Subban’s stock may fall. After all who needs more headaches.

5. Dunboyne Mike says:

Controversy sells advertising and is good for media. Away from the headlines and polls like the one on this site, I’d be willing to bet that the real Subban-Meehan-Bergevin story is a LOT less exciting. Just negotiations dragging on. Important, yes, for the individuals involved, for the club, and for us fans. But a combo of media and our response to it has enlarged the story.

Our posts on this, over various threads, are into the thousands! And we are a bit polarised, and some people getting rude!

For what? Being fans we are passionate, and ready to unleash the passion by going to games and shouting or — even more illustrative — shouting at tv/computer screens.

In between games, the passion is harnessed and exploited by media. Here the media has gambled that only one Canadiens story will get us going. Should Galy stay up? Nah. Should Eller have been in the press box? Nah. You get the idea. If you’re media and you want readers/followers, the only one that’s going to hook us is the Subban negotiations. Then you’ll get us. So take the Subban story and talk it up.

(I meant this to be quick and clever, but it’s ended up long-winded and party-pooperish. Thinking of deleting, but it took too long to compose to waste now…)

The logical conclusion of what I’m suggesting obliges me to insist that Subban will sign with Montreal, all will be well. No trade (sorry, Bob — so much smarter than me, for sure, but still just trying to sell papers) and no sitting out the season.

Or I’ll eat my hat. Or that sandwich I found my kid had left under the passenger seat before Christmas.

• Habsville says:

I’m with you on the PK signing These dollars the new cap and everything wanted and needed is taking it’s course. The selling of the celebration goal is classic media talk. Here is what I posted on it and had a few believers too. This is as ridiculous as the coverage it got

Edmonton Oilers fine Yakushowoff 1 million dollars for embarrassing the organization, League fines will match that. The Yak Show Off penalty is soon to be implemented. You smile or raise your stick above your shoulders after a goal you get a game suspension, no pay and a 5 minute major Gary Beton this said in a statement released that we did not lock them out to have this sort of non sense in our league. Oilers will now also suffer a first round draft pick loss in addition to league fines.

6. habs-fan-84 says:

Warning: RANT

What a ridiculous low-ball offer!

I do NOT understand why MB doesn’t sign PK long term at a DISCOUNT now. All that this bridge contract nonsense is going to do is set the stage for the Habs to OVERPAY in 2 years time.

PK is a gamer, it must be agonizing to not be playing right now. PKs holding out makes it crystal clear to me he wants to be a Hab for life. Yes, he wants to be paid, so what, so do all other professional athletes. Why this organization wants to run this kid out of town is beyond me.

This organization needs PK, he can anchor the blue line for the next 10 years. If Markov goes down this season our blue line is dead in the water.

If I’m PK, knowing what Gorges is making, there’s no way in hell I’m signing that contract. It doesn’t matter that Gorges signed his contract with different management. There is NO way PK should be valued at 2m this season (it is irrelevant that this is a big raise over his entry level contract).

Currently PK should be valued at somewhere between 3.5 to 5 million per. Do not let this kid go MB. If PK is traded we’ll regret it just like Roy, Chelios, LeClair etc. Don’t be dumb!

Rant over, carry on. I feel better.

• K-hab25 says:

Wow, only you can look at a 3rd year player holding out and see it as “proof he want’s to be Hab for life.” He wants money, plain and simple. It has zero to do with wanting to be a Hab. This whole situation, just like the lockout, is about money. Exactly why I have zero loyalty to any player, at least Bergevin is worried about the Hab’s money, Subban is only worried about getting his money. No matter who the team is, just like the rest of them.

• Steeltown Hab says:

They’re offering him Prust money. Thats a joke. He wants a long-term, which is an indication he wants to be a Hab for a long time. If he takes 2 yr deal now he’ll make wayyy more long term come his next deal. Do you know life?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• K-hab25 says:

No, it is not proof he wants to be a Hab, it’s proof he wants more money than Prust and other veteran players who put in their time and earned their pay. By the time PK is Prust, Gorges or Kaberle’s age he’ll be making alot more than those guys are now. Then again, by then he would’ve EARNED it!!

• Habilis says:

PK’s a very physical player and he led the Habs in ice time last season. That IS earning it.

• K-hab25 says:

Bull!!!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I might be misreading you, K-h, but it’s like you’re saying that tenure is the primary factor in relation to salary. Subban has more natural talent than the three good veterans (well, is Kaberle good?) you mention. At some point talent — and some kind of vision/estimate as to what that will blossom into down the road — has to trump tenure in terms of value and therefore salary.

• K-hab25 says:

No it’s like I’m saying we don’t have to break the bank, so don’t. Simple enough for ya.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

The simple version is easier to agree with than some of your other opinions.
            If you’re still posting, and you’re Bergevin, what’s your max, ie. to avoid breaking the bank?

• ed lopaz says:

@ K-hab25

I’m sorry, but after reading your posts for the past few years supporting Price at every turn, calling yourself a “Proud Pricebot since 2007″, I find your post here to be very disingenuous.

if this was Price instead of Subban you would be supporting Price all the way.

based on your history here, that is a reasonably fair conclusion I think.

• K-hab25 says:

Bulls**t Ed and you know it. Supporting Price against attacks from the dip s**t Halakites on this site, is alot different then supporting him over the team. Not to mention when people were saying Price is gonna get 5 or 6 mill, I laughed and said HE HAS NO LEVERAGE, HE CAN SIGN A BRIDGE CONTRACT, OR SIT HOME. It’s in the archives feel free to look it up before accusing me of things I didn’t say.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Any potentially accurate observations you make are a little undermined by that omniscient narrator thing.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Subban has repeatedly said he wants to be a Hab for life. This is why he wants a long term contract. Sure does he want to get paid what he’s worth? Absolutely.

If the reports are accurate, then what MB has offered is NOT full market value, at least in my opinion. Subban can not make less than Gorges, I’m sorry.

• Ron in Ottawa says:

I think you are right as long as the habs could get a discount for a longer term contract. It’s crazy when GM’s get locked into a position. Gainey always refused to discuss contracts during the season and, as result, the habs lost some useful guys to free-agency every July. I hope MB does not start to think only inside a box of his own making. PK is a very useful player who is developing very well, plus he’s a huge fan favorite. This impass is not helping anyone.

• habs_54321 says:

if it is true that habs are offering 2 years 2.5 p/year as it says on tsn then id have to agree its a low ball offer, they are able to offer him 4mil/year and stay under the cap same figure Carlson got from Washington.

7. jimmy shaker says:

Alright donny, PK and MB….Molson wants/needs this guy, everyone put on their big boy pants and get this done. 2 years 3.5per. There that was easy. Kaberle is gone after this year on a buyout and armstrong won’t be around either. Gomer’s and kab’s contract don’t count against the cap so it will all work out with a little bit of money left to spare on the new cap for next year. Let’s go now, we are all waiting.

Jimmy Shaker

8. Xsteve50 says:

Quick question. If PK sits this season, does not sign. Is he still an RFA for the 2013/2014 season?

9. Loonie says:

Don`t get me wrong, I adore Carey Price. But maybe if Bergevin hadn`t overpaid by $1 million plus annually he could have put some more toward Subban. Just my opinion.

• ed lopaz says:

maybe if Gauthier would not have traded Spacek, whose contract was expiring, for Kaberle’s 4.5 million, we would be laughing right now.

how many teams are paying 4.5 million for their 6th (7th if PK returns) d-man who is at best a 2nd line PP man on this team, a liability 5 on 5, and incapable of playing the penalty kill.

that Gauthier. boy oh boy. Bowman got himself one hell of a genius there!!

• ed lopaz says:

Price is worth every penny, and so is Subban.

I really believe there are 29 GM’s in the league who agree.

Unfortunately we got stuck with the 1 GM who gets a bonus for every low ball, bridge contract he sells.

• K-hab25 says:

Price is my favorite player, but I agree he is overpaid by a mill or so. I also think that Pkekanec and Gorges are 500 thousand to a million overpaid. Still, IMO, doesn’t make a bit of difference with Subban though. The guy has zero leverage, he can take the smaller bridge contract, or sit home and get nothing. Well I guess he can hope fof his knight and shining armor to come save him with an offer sheet, but even then it’s still Bergevin in control. He can match it, if it’s reasonable, he can take the picks, or trade him a year from now.

• ed lopaz says:

this is not about leverage to me, its about long term vision of the team.

if you low ball your bridge contract its insulting to the player – enough that you could lose his long term commitment.

even if a 2 year bridge is all the Habs could do, they still could have gone to 3.9 million (where Gorges is) or even 4.5 (where kaberle is).

Also Carlson is at about 3.9, and so is Staal in New York.

So a 2 year bridge could possibly be sold, but should show some long term vision and respect.

• K-hab25 says:

Two years is a long time Ed for hurt feelings to heal. I’d like PK to be Hab a long time, just like you, I just don’t think Bergevin should be acting in PK’s best intrest istead of the team. If he caves on PK, every other RFA’s agent that comes along will expect the same, or they’ll just take their ball and go home. Just like PK.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I think many here are banking on the fact that players like Subban simply do not come around often so others ‘demanding’ similar treatment most likely probably won’t have the development progression and stats to back it up.

• K-hab25 says:

I don’t get, nor will I ever get fans who want to pay guys more than the team has too. All 4 major sports have RFA’s and almost all of them get paid less than their veteran counterparts. Yet you still see dumb GM’s give out Depietro like contracts, young can’t miss guys, except atleast half of them miss. They all had pretty #’s that “earned” big money to, till for one reason or another they didn’t live up to those deals.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Like most others, I choose to direct my ire towards Gomez and Kaberle’s cap hits rather than Price’s.

Glad to see Eller is going to play tomorrow. I wonder if Weber will dress for the injured Kaberle.

I’d add comments to the Subban discussion but I’m already totally fed up after just three games. What a unnecessary, frackin’ mess.

11. CCL says:

I’ll believe in Eller when he does something. I’ve yet to see it
    I’d love to see him on a line with DD and Cole. if he can’t do something with those two than we know how good Pacioretty can be.

12. The Dude says:

All that has to happen to kill the Habs at this point is another injury to Markov with Subban unsigned….Russian roulette anybody?

13. DorvalTony says:

Renaud Lavoie tweeted Bergevin offered PK *half* of what Gorges is making and a two year contract only.

Joke.

14. rhino514 says:

If they are going to use their second compliance buy-out (which is not a given), I don´t think Kaberle is the automatic choice. He will only have one more year on his contract. Wouldn´t it be more atractive for the club to save 6.6 million over two seasons, or how about 9 million for two seasons?
    Yes, you heard it here first. Cole will be 35 next season and despite his season last year, a player ´s performance, especially a forward´s , decreases substantially on average once they get into their early thirties.
    Just sayin, Kaberle isn´t the runaway obvious choice for the compliance buyout. I think it will depend on the performance of various players this season.

15. Steeltown Hab says:

Hope this isn’t a 1-game trial on the wing or something for Eller.

Prust-Eller-Galchenyuk is the ideal line IMO.

Also time to break up Pac-DD-Cole and try some different looks, no reason you can’t put them together again later.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

16. Mr. Biter says:

Wonder how PK thinks his salary is dependent upon “What he brings to the Habs on and off the ice”. ON the ice is what you get paid for. What you do off the ice may help the team but is entirely up to you so if PK seems to imply he be paid for “off ice” activities there might be trouble brewing in Camalot.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

17. dhenry1234 says:

I’m sick of all this PK nonsense. He’s currently NOT a member of the Montreal Canadiens. So let’s focus on our team. How was practice? I’m hearing that max has the flu? True or false? Eller sitting tomorrow or no? Any video of post practice interviews?

18. Loonie says:

I’d be willing to bet Mr. Gallagher will be returning to Hamilton in order to make room for Eller.

19. punkster says:

So with Max out and Eller in…and if the Eller/DD/Cole line catches fire tomorrow…do we have the seeds of another controversy brewing?

One can only hope.

***FREE PK!!!***

20. Cal says:

You didn’t really think I’d stop, didja? ;)
    My take on the PK situation. Check it out at:

21. otter649 says:

According to CapGeek today – The Flyers have only $12,622.00 in cap space available so time for them to do some creative book keeping via LT diasabilty with Pronger & other injured players etc…….

22. HabFab says:

On twitter between Stubbs and Gagnon;
    – Stubbs believes offer is too low by a million per
    – Gagnon believes a $6.5 million over 2 would be a good deal

23. Loonie says:

Per Abe Hefter Lars Eller will play tomorrow regardless of Pacioretty’s situation(flu).

Now if you’ll excuse me I need to go change my pants.