Subban toasts Norris Trophy win with a little wine

Saturday was a night Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban will never forget.

After being awarded the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s top defenceman, Subban celebrated with friends and family at a Chicago restaurant, sipping wine from the miniature replica of the trophy that he gets to keep.

“I think everyone had a sip out of it, it was a pretty cool experience,” Subban told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs.

“I slept well (Saturday), it was probably one of my easiest nights of rest in a long time,” Subban added. “It’s a tremendous accomplishment and to be able to celebrate it with my family and friends, it’s an unbelievable feeling.

“The (miniature) trophy sat on my hotel night table all night. When I woke up it was still there, so I was happy.”

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

A night to remember for Canadiens’ Subban, by Dave Stubbs

Subban joins some elite company on Habs’ Honour Roll, by Dave Stubbs

Late night skating lessons paid off for Subban, by Stu Cowan

Pain and exhaustion part of Cup chase, by Jack Todd

1993 Canadiens memories, canadiens.com

Overtime brings out the best in hockey, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

Final shifts to Bruins’ TD Garden, by Cam Cole of Postmedia News

1. Ed says:

it was 4-1 Leafs with about 10 minutes to play in the 3rd period of game 7.

I turned on the game and within 30 seconds Boston had scored making it 4-2.

As the Bruins mounted their comeback, I was so excited to cheer for a Leafs’ collapse, that I found myself rooting for the Devil.

Another Bruins’ Cup is a punishment from the Big Man “upstairs” for cheering for Satan.

I am so ashamed.

• kalevine says:

I warned you all at the time. I’m here to say I told you so. Did I tell you I told you so? You were all like, oh the Bruins will never win the cup this year, they’ll lose in the next round. And I was like, “No, this is 2011 all over again. We need the bear to be suffocated in its den before it ever wakes up. It hs awakened.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hear hear. The Leafs winning would definitely have been the much lesser of two evils, I kept telling everyone too.

• habstrinifan says:

I know how you feel … but think about the Leafs being in this position. You wouldnt have been able to turn a radio or TV set on or even read a newspaper. Heck they may have even adjourned Parliament. I dont think I could live in Canada during a Leafs Stanley Cup run.. Fortunately haven’t had to find out unless you count 1993.. which ended up well you KNOW THE REST OF THAT STORY! LOL!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

What I kept telling everyone in April was that the Bruins were over-rated, notably Lucic who seemed to go soft when he became a Dad, and Chara looked old and slow (notably against us), and Horton and Krejci were doing nothing and Kelly was injured and their big deadline acquisition looked like he’d spent the entire short season in a Krispy Kreme while the one that got away (Iginla) was laughing at them. And Peverley kept getting penalties! Peverley.

I was thinking, if we can just get past the first round, we can rain a bit of karma on the old enemy.

Should have listened to you when you were telling everyone, Kalevine!

I still hate them (although if truth be told, it’s a handful I hate who make it impossible to like the rest of the team), but I have to say fair play to them. A very impressive run. I’m starting to get that same nauseous feeling the Pens gave me when they wilted.

As Maritime Ron suggested, the Hawks need to forget about carrying the puck over the blueline into the o-zone. They need to eat their porridge and play dump and chase, even with Lurch. He hates being hit — so it’s a no-brainer: go hit Chara.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

If I wear shorts here (in rainy Ireland), the sun that WAS there goes away, the temperature drops 15 degrees, the wind gets up, and it’s November in June (Ireland really only has one season that lasts all year).

“I turned on the game and within 30 seconds Boston had scored making it 4-2.”

Roundabout way of implying that the Leafs collapse is entirely on you, Ed, and if you truly want the Hawks to come back and win, then you better not watch.

For all our sakes.

Please.

Marchand, touching the cup. Think about it.

2. Maritime Ron says:

Re Vinny Lecavalier Trade/Buyout scenario.

1) VC has a no movement clause therefore he cannot be “Moved” anywhere without his consent.

2) VC is owed $45 Million in Salary over the next 7 seasons but much more important for him shows the next 3 seasons at $10M each followed by $8.5M-$4M-$1.5M-$1M.

3) Buyout rules state he would be paid-out 2/3 of his remaining Salary over double the time left on the contract
    WHY would VC agree to a Trade/Buyout when he would only collect 2/3 of $45M (=$30M ) over 14 years instead of 7 – and especially guaranteed $30M over the next 3 seasons?

4) He lives on beautiful Davis Island and has been in Tampa since 1998. Can he find a better place to live and not be constantly harassed as Tampa has NFL-MLB- and NCAA to keep the folks occupied

5) He already has a Stanley Cup ring so there is little motivation to win it somewhere else.

3. <----- MR. PERFECT says:

When you can’t make it through the 1st round – That’s a pretty good indication you’re not built to win a stanley cup.

I think Pittsburg proved it’s not all about scoring either – Gotta have Good “D” Steady Goaltending, and toughness they didn’t have it Boston has it all – Even Therrien could win a cup with that team …..

• florida habs says:

you think?

• Cal says:

That makes 22 out of the 30 teams that are “not built to win a stanley cup.”

14 that didn’t make the playoffs and the 8 first round losers.
      I’d have to say that 29 out of the 30 teams aren’t “built to win a stanley cup” every year.

• kalevine says:

how about not built to compete at playoff intensity level?
        plenty of the first round teams that lost were nonetheless far better built for the playoffs than the Habs, and even some of the teams that missed the playoffs might have been, but they were unfortunately not built for regular season competition.

The Habs are built shockingly well for the first 2/3 of the regular season (even when that season is only 48 games), witness the epic collapses of the 2009 and 2013 teams. Even those teams that were consistent all year (2008 and 2011) faltered badly after the first half of the first series. Teams can figure out the Habs easily and adjust, it’s just a question of whether they bother to do so during the season or not, but they sure do in the playoffs.

By far the best Habs playoff team in the last 20 years was the 2010 team which, apart from the type of clutch goaltending we have not seen from Price when the chips are down, had a solid solid veteran defensive core and incredibly timely scoring. But even they eventually collapsed pretty badly when confronted with a physical team

4. florida habs says:

MB has overpaid for some marginal players, didn’t he sign Gorges also.

• habs-fan-84 says:

No. Gauthier signed Gorges.

• The Juice says:

Gorges should be the next buyout target…I can live with one more year of Kabs at $4.25…but 4 more of Josh at $3.9? No thanks…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• kalevine says:

he’s so one dimensional and that dimension has folded, so he brings nothing except maybe a presence in the room and the lamest of post game quotes

5. habstrinifan says:

Discussion betweem Mattyleg and others re Lecavlier buy out by Tampa. I agree with Mattyleg(hope not putting words in his mouth) … if Tampa buys out Lecavalier and there is any way MB can get Lecavalier on reduced terms in Mtl… he should do so PRONTO.

Lecavalier is not as ‘washed up’ as many here argue and while he has been injured a lot recently, he should recover fully over the summer.

Lecavalier in Mtl would be a very good move in ALL aspects by MB. And it may just make the furor about DD moot ..cause Lecavalier on a line with DD and Pacioretty will be pretty good and will still leave MT able to trot out the line of Prust Gally and Gally (recommended by another poster yesterday.. a beautiful line I say).

Would be good for the team all around.
    And about that captaincy.. we wont go there now.

I will jump in if you don’t mind habstrinifan. I don’t recall reading many, if any comments that Lecavalier was or is washed up. But his contract is beyond ridiculous in its present state.

IF, and that is a huge IF, the Lightning themselves were to buyout Lecavalier, then indeed it would be worth looking at acquiring his services. Having said that, reading various articles, Vinny continues to say that he wants to finish his career in TBay. It has widely been reported that he himself vetoed the trade to Montreal, as he didn’t want to play in Montreal.

It is for these reasons, that I continue to give some credibility to the possibility that TBay trades Vinny to a rich team, whom would then buyout Vinny allowing him to re-sign in TBay at a much reduced term and dollar.

• florida habs says:

why would another team trade for Vinny then buy him out?

• habstrinifan says:

You are definitely not among those having said that.. but usually a Lecavalier post is accompanied by comments about him being too old etc. Admittedly his contract could be the catalyst.

I hope the buyout rumour is correct.. and I hope MB has Lecavalier’s agent on speed dial. And I hope in Montreal he becomes once more ‘Lecavalier’ and not Vinny. Sounds more formidable.. Lecavalier.

Edit: See Burly I’m am not always scooping it as you say. Didnt take long for a ‘beaten horse’ analogy to rear up. Man I’m good.. beaten horse..rear up!

• florida habs says:

I would take Vinny at reduced rates as a bridge until we get some of our guys going but there is a reluctance for francophones to sign here. Strange, since we use to get 1st crack at all of them and it was a badge of honor to play for the Habs, not so some now, but we are required to have a French coach to placate 3 beat writers. I’m all for developing French coaches but hockey is an international sport and we need the best to be successful.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I would be in favour of adding Vincent, no question, a centre of his size and skill is not someone you pass up. His cap hit is an issue, and a much greater concern in the future, when his production tails off even more.

One thing we have to remember is the Lightning have the option of an amnesty buyout next summer as well, so they can decide to give themselves more time to make a trade/decision, and wring one more season out of their big man.

Roberto Luongo said “My contract sucks”, but it didn’t seem as if it would be a big problem at the time, since it carries a reasonable cap hit for an elite goalie. It’s only become an issue since his playoff swoons, and the emergence of Corey Schneider.

Vincent Lecavalier though should have seen this coming, everyone winced when that massive contract was announced. If he really wanted to finish his career in Tampa Bay, he should have tried to finagle himself a more reasonable contract.

• Cal says:

Lecavalier recovers every summer. And by December, he is injured again. He is a beaten horse.
      Besides, why would a Floridian want to live in Quebec? He’s paying the bare minimum in taxes and it’s warm year round. (He has spent his entire adult life in Tampa Bay.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I disagree about the beaten horse reference. Vincent is a superbly conditioned athlete, he’s not a lazy player who pulls hamstrings because he didn’t prepare for the season. Breaking a bone in his foot because he took a slapshot off it doesn’t make him injury prone or spent or anything.

I do agree that he’d be reluctant to move his family to Québec. His kids are American, they’re used to the sun and that part of the world. He might explore other options before settling on Montréal, as much as it pains me to admit.

• Cal says:

Lecavalier has been beaten up for the past 3 seasons. He’s missed 17, 18 and last season 10 games. His production the last 3 seasons is roughly .82 points/game. He hasn’t scored 40 goals in a season for 5 years now.
          Not worth considering, really.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hmmm, a big centre who scores at a .8 ppg pace not worth considering? Do you mean at any price? I agree if you’re talking about Sean Avery or Nathan Horton, but not Vincent Lecavalier, a leader and warrior and true gentleman.

• Cal says:

@UCE- at the price he is right now. He’s only worth a fraction of that inflated bugaboo of a contract he has. Smart agent, idiotic management.
            Oh yeah, he’s been a minus player for 6 straight years now, despite that production.

Shamahan is headed to Calgary? I couldn’t think of a better destination for that clown.

Having won Norris PK is going to be even more marked on the ice than before. Bergevin better get some reinforcements the only good asset this team has. I, however, have a strong suspicion that we will see more of Gorges, Markov, Diaz adn Drewiske out there.

• habsfan0 says:

Don’t forget DD.
      He’ll be Subban’s protector.

• jols101 says:

Not to worry, Goges, Markov, Diaz and Drewiske have Gionta, DD and Pleks watching their backs. They will be alright. If not, Galchenyuk and Gallagher can jump in and do some damage. Lets not forget Weber and Kaberle, striking fear into the hearts of any opponent. If all that doesn’t deter our opponents I guess there is always Prust. Poor Prust. The guy is on an island all by himself.

• bwoar says:

O’Byrne, Fistric, Doug Murray are available. I’m gonna go a bit off the map and push for Matt Pelech: Right-handed, which we do need, 6’5″, 230 and plays tough – so far in the AHL. He’s 25 years old. I’d rather see us take a flyer on a few of these types than any other UFA option.

“thoroughbred”

8. habs_54321 says:

can’t help but think dustin byfuglien would have really made a big difference in this finals series for chicago.

he would have for sure

• bwoar says:

Andrew Ladd as well.

“thoroughbred”

He is a nice player, would be awesome to have him in Montreal. Great Captain for the Jets.

• habstrinifan says:

Alan Ladd is a smurf! Tough but a smurf!
        Og Geez.. what am I saying? I’m sorry Shane.. Shane come back.. Bwoar loves you; Burly love syou.. I love you.

Ignore me folks.. my a-hole gene is acting up. Just Alan Ladd with Shane… one of my childhood iconic moments.

I thought it so righteous that Shane didnt cuckhold the hubby.. unlike that sinner Eastwood in the ‘remake’.

• bwoar says:

Not sleeping with the wife, in the cowpoke milieu, is always more badass somehow.

I think Eastwood’s movie was more homage than anything else. Also, any opportunity to see Richard Kiel in a movie is welcome.

“thoroughbred”

• The Juice says:

Emphasis on BIG…I heard he has topped 300 pounds now…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

9. <----- MR. PERFECT says:

Poor money management coupled with poor player choice puts Habs behind the 8-ball. A payroll of $62,223,333 gone in the 1st round.

Boston,s payroll 60,083,810 and a chance at winning the Stanley cup. Amazing. with the team they have in place and young players on the way. They could win a cup every couple of years.

By the way they’re lookin good right now. win the next one and Chicago will be hurting.

Yah, can’t believe MB couldn’t fix all the past mistakes in one season. We need to start over and get another GM…..

Chiarellieis in his 5th season as GM. Also don’t forget the GM prior to him handled the big bloodshed and made the big trade of Thornton, thus changing the direction which the Bruins would go moving forward. This gave the newcomer a relative clean slate moving forward as the teams were coming to grip with how to work within a salary cap framework.

Also remember Chicarelli was the Asst. GM in Ottawa and knew the inner details of how Chara was pissed off at Ottawa in how they treated Hossa thus freeing up Chara as UFA that next summer.

Chara signing in Boston coupled with Chiarelli being given time to run the team are huge factors in their success.

Lets give MB a chance before we just blindly label the Habs as mismanagement. No Doubt, previous regimes made mistakes, but that isn’t on MB.

Rant over.

• Timo says:

So clearly Bruins just got lucky running for the cup twice in 3 years while Habs are just victims of circumstances.

I never said Bruins were lucky Timo. I believe they were fortunate to get Chara, but they were the ones smart enough to have a GM who knew Chara well and thus made it easier to sign him.

Habs are victims of their own decision making by a couple regimes, and one of those regimes also was pressured by previous ownership to perhaps sacrifice some future in order to make the Centenniel season a better windfall.

I believe Molson and MB see the error in the ways things were handled and are going to be judicious moving forward.

• Kooch7800 says:

Chara is a game changer. You take him off the bruins and they have 0 cups in the last few years.

• alfieturcotte says:

MB should not be immune to the criticism. He is responsible for Price’s ridiculous contract, Moen, DD (that one’s for you Timo), and missing the boat on signing PK long term a year ago (he will pay dearly for that one).

Another year of poor decisions like those and MB will be able to proudly take a seat at the table with Gainey and Gauthier.

• Timo says:

Are you sure? I believe Bergevin cannot be criticized at all. Did you forget that he took the last place team to the 2nd place in the conference and all of that in a shortened season? He also pulled an absolutely brilliant draft pick by getting Galchenyuk. Not many GMs would have picked him if they had third overall pick. That was some hard thinking and maneuvering that Bergevin did there.

@Timo, I am not saying MB will not or has not made mistakes, he is a rookie GM afterall. Having said that, I think he has the makeup to be a good GM. My only point is that you cannot judge a GM after only 1 season. Simple as that.

• Timo says:

@Burly – with the out most respect for you Burly, I disagree. I can, and I will and I did. To me, Bergevin resembles more anyone of those GMs that Habs had in the past 20 years than those that actually have a realistic picture of what a Stanley Cup team should look like. Drafting Galchenyuk was a no brainer – any GM would have done that. Getting Prust was the only real decent move he made. The rest is a crap shoot from hiring Therrien to … you know who. Continuing to sign (re-sign) soft, slow, less than skilled players, not making a single bold move is what will continue to make Habs a mediocre team forced to brag about being second in the east. Where Habs will end up with Bergevin is where they ended up with all the previous GMs: 3-5 years of neitehr here nor there and on to the next one. Rinse, spit, repeat.

@Timo, fair enough bud. I guess time will tell, appreciate the discussion. Enjoy your day, hope it is nice and warm in Calgary these days. CHeers!

• alfieturcotte says:

Timo – agree w/you. Seems MB gets a pass becuase he looks and acts like a non Gauthier. A closer look at his moves (and there have been a handful of bad ones) thus far leaves me wholly unimpressed (w/the exception of Prust).

• coutNY says:

Also Boston’s fortunite that they had a dumb trading partner that gave up Kessel for two top picks in the draft, basically giving Boston Hamlton and Seguin + some Cap relief with the upgraded young talent and allowing them to retain talent they had.

• <----- MR. PERFECT says:

Burly: I don’t believe I pointed out Money situation and players were MB’s fault but seeing you took it that way – It was pass managements fault.

It’s gonna take MB many years to fix all the pass mistakes. I don’t know how old you are – By the time he gets it done – you and I may never get to see a Stanley cup parade in Montreal ….

• Timo says:

Don’t forget the coach. Julien maybe a total asshole but he knows how to prepare his team for the games. Habs – well… Habs have Michael Therrien.

• Erm, we spent 3.5% more salary than they did — you’re making it sound like we broke the bank while they rode to glory on a shoestring budget.

Furthermore, Boston added players near the end of the season that would have pushed them over the cap at the beginning of the year, like Jagr.

• Curtis O Habs says:

Lets not forget the ‘insider trading’ of Tim Thomas to the Islanders freeing up some 5 million dollars.

10. Ed says:

Patrice Bergeron.

Back from a serious concussion, Bergeron has now established himself as one of the best all around players in the game.

Clutch scoring, fantastic defensive play, 85% on faceoffs last night!!

When we have a center that can lead our team like Bergeron, the Habs will be a contender.

11. Sportfan says:

For all the people who want DD bought out it won’t happen simply because he got a contract after the new CBA and you can’t use the buyout on him.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Ed says:

for all the people who want DD bought out, they should ask themselves why our GM, in his rookie season, just signed DD to a 4 year extension??

that’s just ignorance to think Bergevin would sign a player to a 4 year extension and a few months later buy him out.

pure ignorance.

• Kooch7800 says:

He isn’t making crazy amounts of money vs his production. His contract is moveable if needed but I don’t see him going anywhere. He had more points than Gionta and Gionta makes 1.5 mill a season more.

3.5 a season for a 50 to 60 point guy isn’t bad. It is just glorified on this team cause we have too many small players in the top 6 and when it comes to the playoffs that spells disaster

• The Juice says:

Gorges is a better candidate

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

The cream always rises to the top Parnell Norris Subban !
    Who gets the last laugh now, Cherry? I suppose you will go on the CBC and tell everyone how he listened to you.

Here is newspaper article from Tampa discussing the idea of Tampa exercising a Vinny buyout.

• Kooch7800 says:

His contract is a perfect example of one to be bought out…..not sure management will eat that that much dough though. It is a lot

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

I can still see some rich team making a deal with Tampa wherein the other team buys out Vinny and he re-signs in Tampa with high draft pick going to the team shelling out the cash.

Rangers, Leafs etc… could write those cheques and not even blink. I have to believe the CBA left these loopholes in, as an opportunity for the wealthy teams to get some benefits given how they essentially were the ones who lost the most in recent Lockout.

• Kooch7800 says:

One thing is for sure….if there are loopholes the agents and rich teams will find them LOL

Isn’t there a rule where if you are bought out you can’t resign for a year with the same team?

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

That is why I think he gets traded for the buyout. That way he re-signs with Tampa where he wants to play, not with the team who do the buyout. You are correct, if you exercise an amnesty buyout, you cannot re-sign player for 1 year.

Smart cookie you are Burly

• Habfan17 says:

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Yes it is a ton of money to eat. But, having $7.5 million tied up in cap space for the next 10 years is also a lot. Also, if they are serious about improving their back end, they need cap space. If they pick Drouin and he is all they say he could be, with Stamkos, Drouin, Bishop and a more solid defence, they could make the playoffs and the added revenues would offset the money they eat. It would also mean not having to trade away players they would rather keep.

• Kooch7800 says:

It is a horrible contract….no questions. I think everyone knew that when it was signed LOL I am so glad we didn’t land him in a trade.

If the habs could resign him for 4 mill for a couple seasons I would do it but he isn’t worth more than that cause he is hurt all the time

• The_Truth says:

No team will touch Vinny’s contract to buy him out. They have their own buyouts to deal with.

14. Kooch7800 says:

@UN Canadian Errant- Thanks for posting the link from the CBC on the parents looking for assault charges (below)

I am actually from Brantford where the aggressive player was from. We have had a black cloud here for awhile. If you recall the player that was killed (Don Sanderson) in a Senior A game a few years ago that was here as well. It really didn’t get as much attention as it should have.

Growing up playing hockey here watching the footage wasn’t that shocking to me, that is how I was raised to play hockey. Always protect your goalie at all costs. We never worried about concussions or injuries to other players. We were out there to score goals and get as many good hits in as we could.

There isn’t enough respect on the ice these days

• Dunboyne Mike says:

All good points, Kooch. I wrote a ranty response to UCE hours ago but it vanished. I’m calmer now and will say that this is not a Brantford thing but a very deeply embedded aspect of Canadian sports culture. We can’t see the wood for the trees. When the police and the league concur that this was just hockey, they no longer see a kid on his knees while someone else breaks his face with repeated blows. Nationwide, 1000s of parents are not letting their boys play hockey, increasingly concerned about the long-term effects of brain injury. Out of those 1000s there will be plenty of future Crosbys, all of them filling their leisure time with something other than hockey. The national game will suffer, which is of no concern to the NHL whose only interest is profit. Of the two guys in UCE’s video, guess which one the League is more likely to follow.

• Kooch7800 says:

100% agree Mike and I see that now as I am a parent. I know of others who won’t let their kids play the game we all love.

There needs to be a culture change in hockey period but I agree as long as the NHL has this type of goonery on display every other night and Don cherry preaching this is how you play the game as a Canadian (tough as nails, don’t stay down when you are hurt etc) it will be difficult to change.

The culture change doesn’t just go to the NHL though, parents and coaches of these kids need to start as well. I am a proud Canadian boy but when I see some of these parents at the game I am disgusted.

Hopefully, through the education on head injuries we will see the light someday.

• habstrinifan says:

“I do think we need to change the hockey mentality but we must be careful as it is a slippery slope. Where do we stop after? Is a really hard body check not assault as well? The more bureaucracy that enters in is not always a good thing. ”

OK here I go. I saw the CBC item and just a bit of the video that went along with it. I dont know if CBC was running a generic video of a hockey fight or the specific video involving the player whose parents filed the lawsuit.

If the video aired by CBC.. player on ice being pummelled by another until 2 officials stepped in.. then

a) No slippery slope here.. if this lawsuit makes leagues across the country STOP that sort of brutality … fine. Only slippery slope is one away from sanctioned hooliganism.
      b) No a hard body check is not assault.. it is in no way comparable. Resorting to a) after a hard body check is though.
      c)If Bureaucracy is the process where people sit down and establish and revise reules and regulations which further safety and eliminate this sort of neanderthal hold-overs… then there should be ever vigilant bureaucrats running our leagues.

This video showed nothing but bullyism. To call it a hockey play is wrong. I hope the parents get a lot of support in their effort.

• Kooch7800 says:

Did you ever play hockey at a competitive level? If you never saw a play like that while playing I would be shocked. That type of thing happen & happens all the time. is it right….no. But it is a hockey culture problem.

Once you start bringing the law in on a fight in hockey you are indeed going into a slippery slope as they (parents) will start looking to charge kids fo anything where an injury may happen.

this should have been stopped at a league level ant the league should have stronger rules and the other player should have been tossed out for the season or at least a very extended length of time.

• habstrinifan says:

I will defer to your argument about the slippery slope can be avoided “if the league would have deal with this properly I don’t think you would have seen them go to the police”. One hundred percent!

But that has not been historically the case.
          But you certainly will have my vote.. the league deals with it severly and immediately and without equivocation and I say the parents should drop it.
          Otherwise… good for them.

And no, unfortunately I only came to hockey around age 25 so never played at any real level. Hope that does not eliminate my contributions and invalidate my passion for the game.. and of course the HABS.

• Kooch7800 says:

The only reason I asked if you played hockey wast that a play like this happens sadly all to often which is all part of the culture argument. So I am sorry if you took that the wrong way

We are all hockey fans here brother…no resume required.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Perhaps this is why Kaberle saw no ice time down the stretch with the Habs.

The Minnesota Wild were reportedly going to buy out Dany Heatley this offseason to help with cap space, but that is no longer an option due to injury.

16. Corio says:

Jeremie Rainville was on RDS and started going on about how people are still VERY sceptical about PK and his attitude and personality. I say STFU Jeremie! He won the effing Norris, find something else to complain about, dead horse beaten, put cork in it!

• Kooch7800 says:

they have to have something to b*tch about. Problem with PK is he is really good and will always be a lightening rod for the media.

Jeremie should do as you say though and put a cork in it. Let the guy enjoy the moment and maybe praise his talent a bit

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Did not know that Defense Prospect Darnell Nurse is the nephew to Donovan McNabb. Apparantly the Flyers would like to find a way to get him.

18. Maritime Ron says:

The Bickell sweepstakes: Count me in, and here’s why.

First off, for all the David Clarkson fans, he only really came into his own during the 11-12 season ..when he was 27 and given increased ice time.

Perhaps Bickell also had a break out YEAR, and not just playoffs.
    He just turned 27 years old.

In this past 48 game schedule, he had 9 goals and 23 points ( Gionta had 26 Pts and DD 28 Pts…) playing ONLY an average of 12:48 per game because the Hawks are so deep.

He played most of the year with Shaw and Stalberg.
    His average ToI for the Hawks was 11th for all forwards that played at least 25 games.

Those numbers, when equated to an 82 game schedule, show 15 goals and 40 points…. for a guy that had ONLY 13 minutes of regular season PP time – ranked 9th for all Hawks forwards for PP time.

Bergevin and Dudley KNOW if this guy is the real deal and they will act/offer accordingly.

If so, the belief from here is that Bickell needs to be offered a leadership/Top 6-9 role with PP time to land him.

If that is the case, we would have to pay him that way which means both Term and Salary.
    As a young 27 year old beast of 6’4″ – 233 lbs. and coming into his own – and one who has fought for everything he has, don’t be surprised to see a 4-5 year offer for $16-$22M.

Several will shout that is an overpay – the same that shouted that Prust was an overpay last year at 4 years/ $10M….
    Something tells me we are going to go hard after this guy….similar to how we pursued Prust last year….that is IF AND ONLY IF, Bergevin and Dudley believe in him.

• Habfan17 says:

Nice comparison. His production given his ice time is close to that of Gallagher and Galchenyuk. I thought Stalberg played left wing like Bickell so I checked him out and it says he can play right wing
      I would love lines of
      Patches, Plekanec and Bourque
      Bickell, Eller, Stalberg
      Prust, Galchenyuk, Gallagher
      Moen, White, Kristo, ( this line for now) Would like an upgrade at centre and move white to the right side.

Bigger, Faster, Younger!

• jols101 says:

That is a good looking line up except I would love Bourque down on the 2nd line and trade for Chris Stewart and have him on the 1st line. Delete Stalberg all together.

St.Louis is cash strapped and would want prospects and picks in return for Stewart. He is only 25 years old and would fit in perfect with our core guys.

• Dust says:

No Thanks to Stalberg. In my mind he is a less skilled less phyiscal A Kost.
        THe guy was a healthy scratch for half of the playoffs for a reason

• Habfan17 says:

He isn’t perfect for sure. There are better players the Habs would have to trade to get them. I like jols101 idea of trading for Stewart as long as the cost was not too high. I would trade Pleks and Holland to get him.

• jols101 says:

Whoa, Pleks is a little steep. Plus, the reason St. Louis is considering moving Stewart is because they can’t afford him so they definitely can’t afford 5 million for Pleks.

I was thinking Diaz, Kristo, and a 2nd rounder. Prospect doesn’t have to be Kristo but anyone they want except for Beaulieu or Tinordi.

• Habfan17 says:

@jols101 I get you! I would rather Holland than Kristo and Weber. I would rather not move draft picks. Not sure Pleks is too steep but you make a great point about the cap.

Habfan17

In the interest of fairness, Stalberg has been a scratch for 4 games throughout the entire playoffs this season. The first 2 Cup Final games the team went with the bigger Brandon Bollig instead of Stalberg.

He has played in 16 games these playoffs. I think he has potential, but indeed could be similar to A. Kostitsyn. Again, like Bickell, I suspect MB/Dudley know this kid fairly well and would decide accordingly.

• commandant says:

I think when you look at our top 9, it only needs one player right now. That means signing both Bickell and Stalberg is out.

I’d take Bickell and let Stalberg walk.

Signing one guy puts Prust on the fourth line (and able to move up in case of injury). Thats not bad.

In No particular order:
            Max Pac, Plekanec, Gionta, DD, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Bourque

is 8 guys.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

Agree Commandant, no way MB can sign both, and I don’t think he wants both. But just pointing out the facts of his being scratched for “half” the playoffs.

19. adamkennelly says:

plenty of talk about MB having targeted Mike Rupp and Kyle Clifford at the deadline last year…has this ever been confirmed?

to take this a step further – why not my boys Matt Martin and Jamie McGinn? they are plenty big, plenty tough and better players.

Frankly – I’d take Kyle Clifford also – why not all 3 of them?

• Habfan17 says:

I heard that McGinn is not available. He would be a nice pick up. Not sure if Martin could be had. I liked Rupp last year too.

• Kooch7800 says:

Torres was the only one that I seen on twitter the day of that he actually made a pitch for but we were not able to land him. We could have used torres against Ottawa

• adamkennelly says:

Martin and McGinn would be hard to get but its doable…trying to make a point that these are the exact types of players Habs need to target. Big, tough and decently skilled. Both are young as well and their salaries are decent.

Rupp is a few years removed from being of value – he is 33…I’d stick to targeting players under 27 – so we can mold our team over the next 2 years and make a real run for it in 3.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve repeated this rumour as often as anyone, so I should take the fall if it’s ever debunked, but I always say it’s a rumour when I refer to it.

I give it slightly more credibility than most rumours though, since they aren’t big names, or weren’t at the trade deadline anyway, and these players would have fit in with Marc Bergevin’s philosophy. Brian Bickell is a player he would have been familiar with, and Mike Rupp would have been in his wheelhouse, seeing as how taken he was with Brandon Prust.

20. RetroMikey says:

Chicago might as well forfeit the Cup to Boston.
    Yes, mighty Habs fans here, those Gooins are the total package when it comes to building a Stanley Cup winner, a great manager, coach, physical players with skill to their game an a very underrated but mentally focused goalie in Task (are you listening Carey?).
    Boston will be a contender fro at least another two or three seasons.
    We still are two or thress season of “re-tooling” as they say here.
    Let’s hope Bergevin sees that big is better in order to build a champion in today’s NHL.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Cal says:

Why, look what the cat dragged in.

If Carey indeed starts listening to your advice, I will then turn in my official PriceBot membership card. I will miss the benefits, but will indeed join the “Trade Price for bag of pucks” fanclub.

• RetroMikey says:

HabinBurlington (Millcroft, Orchards, HeadonForest,???,etc.)
        No needing pulling your hair out when you see Chara hoisting the Cup again. We need to be like a team like those Gooins as you call them. They are the winners while Bergevin’s team is golfing or steering cattle in British Columbioa somewhere.
        I’d trade your PriceBot membership card for a Tukko Rask card in a heartbeat.
        Better yet, I’ll give you my Price Bobblehead when he was with the Bulldogs for free.
        We all knew that Boston was going to be a contender fro many years, I’ve said that right from the getgo.
        Better yet, look out for Toronto next year as well in the new alignment in our division.
        If I were Bergevin, I’d be worried facing them.
        “We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• punkster says:

Wait…you said the Loafs would win their series too.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

I have no evidence, but I have to wonder if Hossa perhaps is having concussion related problems again. This guy has had a few and plays so hard all the time. He is arguable the Hawks best all around forward and without him, they are in big time trouble.

Fricking Bruins are playing very well also, and seem to be way ahead in the battle of attrition. Lucic and Chara despite their pregame hugfest/collision played very large last night.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I forgot the hockey was even on last night. Watched an awesome pitcher’s duel during the Jays game. Johnson pitched lights out for Toronto before Cecil and Janssen came in and shut the door for the 2-0 shutout.

Casey Janssen has really played well this year, and Cecil appears to be far more comfortable in the bullpen. Interestingly enough, when J.P. Riccardi first drafted Cecil he spoke of how Cecil could be a candidate to one day be a closer.

Reyes looked good at Triple A Dunedin yesterday, unfortunately Morrow got rocked.

I don’t see the Jays re-signing Johnson, as despite his poor performance (yet to win a game, albeit no run support) he has big potential and someone will pay for that. However, if he can get back on track the Jays could trade him for some decent prospects.

Still hopeful Morrow can come back, but he appears to be one of those guys that is always injured.

Great to see the Jays playing well.

22. Hobie Hansen says:

Maybe you can use Canadian Tire money to by beer at the Sens games?

Hobie, if you can use Cdn. Tire money there, I will be happy to bring you all my Cdn. Tire at the next summit! Granted, I think i only have about $3.76 at the current time, but hey half a pint!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Cool man thanks! Doing my best to be at the summit this year. As usual though there’s a late August or early September trip falling right before it. $$$$.

23. arcosenate says:

Looks increasingly like Lecavalier will be bought out, I would sign him in Montreal, a strange way for him to arrive but there’s some hockey left in him at the right price.

• Ozmodiar says:

>Looks increasingly like Lecavalier will be bought out

how so?

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t envy the GM’s this off season. Not only do they need to look at the current free agent pool in their strategies, they need to deal with the compliance buyouts, who can they sign and if they think they can sign any of them, can they afford to take the risk and trade their roster players for additional picks or to move up in the draft.

I am not suggesting this, but hypothetically speaking, if LeCavalier, Ruuto, and Volchenkov are bought out and MB signed them to cap friendly contracts and also added Scuderi, he could then trade Pleks, DD, Gorges and Diaz to say Carolina for the 5th overall pick.

It certainly adds a whole other dimension to consider.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Pleks, DD, Gorges and Diaz for the 5th overall???

That’s a lot of roster players to replace with a pick who won’t be on the team opening night.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Mattyleg says:

SuperTraders don’t need players to play!

They just need players to Trade!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan17 says:

Yes it is, I have added 4 roster players as well in this hypothetical scenario. With such a deep draft if the Habs could add the 5th overall to the other 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and maybe get Nichushkin, Barkov. or Ristolainen, it might be worth it.

24. Habfan17 says:

If Carolina buys out Tuumo Ruutu, would you like MB to sign him?
    If he would take the $3 million/season for 2 or 3 years. He might make a solid 2nd line left wing!

25. Mattyleg says:

Good morning friends and others!

Man, it’s times like these that I wish I could go back and find all those posts from people who were saying, with 100% certainty that the Hawks would kill the Bruins and everyone else in the East, and telling everyone who disagreed that they were full of excrement.

I hope this is enough to disabuse people from the concept that teams from the West are superior to Eastern teams just because they’re from the West.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

26. Ozmodiar says:

Bickell was invisible last night!!!

Oh wait. So were Toews, Kane and Sharp. I’d still take them on my team, though.

• Strummer says:

Is the real Bickell the one we’ve seen the last 3 games?

Was the Bickell from the first 15 games of the post-season the career anomaly?

He doesn’t appear to to be a $4 – $5 million dollar player right now.

More like Prust money to me.
      ____________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Ozmodiar says:

Bickell’s a 3rd line basher.

He’s got good size, throws his weight around and has good net presence. He doesn’t fight, and doesn’t have a history of putting up points.

His contract will be on the high side for a 3rd liner because he’s got some skill and can play on the top 2 lines in a pinch – much more capably than someone like Prust or Moen.

I’d say he’s worth 3-3.25M. He’ll probably get more if he signs in Montreal, but still < 4M.

People are worried that the Habs will overpay based on recent production, but I don't think that will happen. MB was part of the scouting team that brought Bickell into the league. If any GM knows him, it's MB. He'll know what he's worth.

• Strummer says:

True- the Dudley-Bergeron connection knows the Hawk personnel like the backs of their hands.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

27. Maritime Ron says:

It may be time for Coach Q to dust off those Boston-Toronto 1st round series tapes to see how Toronto forced the Bruins to 7 games and scored 18 goals in those 7 games.

Looking back, the Bruins were more loose and played a worse Team D than they are playing now…yet one aspect was clear.
    The Leafs did not make Chara look like anything close to a former Norris winner.

The only time the Leafs tried to carry the puck over the Hawks blueline was when the Bruins Dmen were collapsing or they had an odd man rush.
    Every other time they fired it into the zone and put huge pressure on a rather immobile 6 man Bruins D Unit – and they hit them.

Say what you wish about Colton Orr, yet in Game 2 of that series, he nailed Chara/knocked him down, after a Leafs dump in towards Chara. (You can decide if that was courage or stupidity…)

Coach Carlyle’s system was simple.
    Put pressure on the Bruins D by making them skate-pivot-skate hard after dump ins, and then hit them.
    Do not give them time and space to make the simple outlet pass.
    Sounds easy, but that takes courage, commitment, and patience.

• Ozmodiar says:

The Hawks should send the tapes of the 1st round to the referees. Just as a little reminder. That might help a bit.

• Strummer says:

I think it was more Boston sucking than Toronto being that good.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Maritime, I don’t want to spend anything on a Bickell unless he does EXACTLY WHAT YOU JUST WROTE tomorrow night.

(Sorry, losing it. Prospect of Marchand’s hands on the Cup…)

runs around house shouting, scaring kids

28. jols101 says:

News making headlines here in Ottawa-
    Scotiabank Place being renamed Canadian Tire Center.
    And the mickey mouse organization rolls on…and yet they hammered us in 5 games. Brutal.

• Mattyleg says:

I wonder if the employees in the Canadian Tire Centre will be as chronically clueless as the ones in all the other Canadian Tire Centres…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, good luck trying to get an usher to find your seat.

“section 103, row L, seat 14? I think we’re all out of those.”

“But our store inventory says we have that seat available?”

• Ozmodiar says:

“I’ll go look. Be right back.”

/never comes back. found working concessions when you go to buy a hot dog at the intermission.

• Mattyleg says:

HAHA!
            Good stuff boys.
            We know us some Canadian Tire.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Think of the savings for Melnyk though, he shouldn’t have to pay for emission tests on his Zamboni’s anymore or those annoying tire rotations. Win Win for the city of Ottawa/Kanata

• Old Bald Bird says:

I’m not sure how this is better or worse that any other name.

Does this mean fans can use Canadian Tire Money to buy tickets? I could sell Hobie or Mavid or Habstrinifan my Cdn. Tire money at 50% off and everyone wins!

People. People. Peep-hole.

Marc Bergevin said… and I quote, “You don’t build a championship team through free agency, it’s never happened and never will.”

There is zero chance that Bickell gets signed by the Habs. He’s a 3rd liner, if that. Yes he’s big but he’s the type of player the Habs need to draft. Put him on the Habs as they’re currently built and Bickell would end up another shrinking violet.

Besides. Some team is going to offer him a sick contract that will be toxic in a two years. Puh-lease. Give it a break. He’s no Konopka.

• Habfan17 says:

I am not saying that MB will sign Bickell. however, there is a difference between building a team through free agency and adding some missing pieces. Signing a free agent or two to fill holes is not the same as building a team. Having said that. What I took from the comment was he won’t be pulling a Gainey and signing a whole bunch of free agents, he will build through the draft. I didn’t take his comment to mean he won’t sign any free agents.

• Maritime Ron says:

Exactly.
        UFAs Hossa and Chara come to mind.

• HardHabits says:

I agree on that. I think he will sign utility players and other fill in the holes types. The UFA market is thin. Boston targeted Chara and built a team around him, but they built the team via the draft and trades.

The Habs problem, at least at the moment, is they’re building around Price. I am not convinced he is as much a cornerstone as his apologists portend.

• Marc10 says:

We’ll see. MB knows Bickell well. I would say he’s a 5 or 6. Certainly a bit better than a 3rd liner and he’s just coming into form. People have given up or passed on big men before. Cam Neely, Todd Bertuzzi… Chara.

I’m not putting Bickell in that league, but I’ll go on record and say he’ll get Dustin Penner UFA money and he’ll earn that paycheck. I hope he gets it in Montreal.

30. Habfan17 says:

Sadly, it looks like the Bruins may win another cup. I hope Chicago gets going. They looked pretty good for a while, had Boston stuck in their end for a while.

Even if they do lose to Boston, I still like the thought of Bickell or Stalberg in a Habs jersey, as long as it isn’t for outrageous coin.

• JF says:

The Blackhawks should look at the tape of last night’s game and compare it to the tape of the Bruins-Penguins games. They would see that they’re doing exactly the same thing as the Penguins did and will suffer the same fate unless they make some adjustments. They’re probably not going to score off the rush; they need to get the puck deep, battle for it along the boards, and have someone open in front of the net. This is how the Bruins score most of their goals. The Hawks also need a much stronger net presence than they’ve yet had.

I had no idea there were still big Hartford Whalers fans out there. This couple recently wed with an entire Whalers theme and were married on the ice.

32. Dunboyne Mike says:

There once was a Moosehead called Frk,
    Who

- okay I’m out. Anyone?

33. Dunboyne Mike says:

A rather large Black Hawk named Bickell
    Put HIO fans in a pickle:
    “He’s solid!”, “He’s fleeting”,
    They spent the day bleating,
    Consensus be damned: we’re too fickle!

34. jols101 says:

So the Bickell love is gone? HIO fans are so fickle that they are already over Bickell.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Eat your porridge, Jols, and come back to the site with that post in the limerick-form it’s crying out for!

Do it quickly before John Bellyful wakes up and steals it from you!

35. Un Canadien errant says:

This is what happens when P.J. Stock and Mike Milbury and Don Cherry set the moral bar for the sport of hockey. Somehow a player getting his helmet ripped off and getting filled in with rights, for the crime of snowing a goalie, is thought to be an acceptable consequence, a risk he consented to when he signed up for hockey.

Gary Bettman, with his remarkably consistent refereeing, wears that.

———————————————————————–

Saw that on the news last night as well Normand, pretty sad.

• Habfan17 says:

Very sad. I am not sure when it became okay to beat up a player for throwing a good clean hit, or for snowing a goalie. I am embarrassed at how much the pro game of hockey has devolved.
        What a bunch of babies that can’t take a hit anymore. Fighting needs to be removed and the rules called, black and white, like they are written. Boarding and charging are never called anymore and these hits happen all the time. They are still rules but like everything else lately, they have added too many other rules that blurr the intent. Stop messing with the game and make the calls as they were intended, to protect the players.

36. Un Canadien errant says:

Brian Bickell has been a hot topic of conversation for Canadiens fans, if not around the entire league. He’s a big strong guy, at 6’4″ and upwards of 230 lbs, but combines that with some skill and finish around the net, and an ability to keep up with Top 6 linemates. Since size is going at an ever-higher premium these days in the NHL, he’s chosen the right time to have such a good season, this being his last contract year before hitting Unrestricted Free Agent status.

Before this season, we’d never heard of this guy, he’d been drafted in the second round in 2004, to little fanfare, and spent four seasons in the AHL working on his game, earning brief callups with the ‘Hawks before sticking for good at the start of the 2010 season. The first time his name was mentioned as a trade target was at the trade deadline, when it was rumoured he was one of Marc Bergevin’s targets to improve his team, along with Kyle Clifford and Mike Rupp.

Now, he’s the flavour of the month, and teams like the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs are stopping just short of tampering by openly courting him, letting team mouthpieces do their bidding in columns and news reports.

“Expect the Red Wings to target Brian Bickell on July 1…” they say, obviating the need for interested GM’s to go up to his agent and slip him their phone number on a thousand-dollar bill.

So Marc Bergevin has his work cut out if he wants to add him to the roster. His asking price went from a Brandon Prust-like contract to double that, and some team is bound to give it to him.

Which begs the question, is he worth that much? Cautiously, we’ll say that it depends. On the right roster, he could have a tremendous impact, and be worth it if all goes well.

Let’s look at Mark Streit, an undersized but slick offensive defenceman who apparently has just scored a four-year, $21M contract from the Flyers. There is no way he would have been worth this much money or term to the Canadiens, replete as they are with that very type of player. Mark Streit to us is the proverbial selling ice to the Inuit. For the Flyers though, as injury-riddled as they were last season, as starved as they were for a puck-mover and powerplay quarterback, he’s worth that kind of investment, including the risk an ‘over-35′ contract carries. (As an aside, quick, let’s trade to the Flyers Yannick Weber for a second-rounder before their tumescence subsides.)

In similar fashion, Brian Bickell may not be worth the contract he’ll command to teams like the St. Louis Blues, the L.A. Kings or San Jose Sharks, they’re full up to the gills with big bruisers. They need to round out their rosters with other types of players, and spread their cap hit more evenly.

To teams like the Vancouver Canucks though, adding Brian Bickell to their lineup radically transforms their makeup. Combine him with a maturing Zack Kassian, a returning David Booth and a healthy Ryan Kesler, and now their forward corps is more imposing, and they have players who can line up with the Sedin brothers and protect them.

Same with the Canadiens. The relatively smaller lineup would benefit greatly from this injection of size and toughness, it would be a big yank on the steering wheel in a different direction. To the Canadiens, and the Canucks and the Red Wings, he’s worth the premium, because the skillset he brings, the total package, ticks a bunch of needs off the list.

So we need to take the possibility of acquiring Brian Bickell as a free agent in context, taking all factors into account. Yes, the Canadiens will have to overpay, but maybe Marc Bergevin and Rick Dudley can use their personal knowledge of the young man, because of their time in the Chicago organization, and pitch him like they did with Brandon Prust last season. They can sell a young improving team, a great hockey town, great facilities, a chance to play a pivotal role instead of being asked to goon it up. All that’d be missing is a Québécoise girlfriend. Maybe Mariepier Morin has some friends she can introduce to Brian.

Personally, I don’t think it’s very likely that Mr. Bickell will end up as a Hab, since Marc Bergevin has been very clear that he wants to build through the draft and not free agency. His targeted signing of Brandon Prust was comparatively cheap at $2.25M a season, but even that was thought to be an overpayment by analysts and a lot of fans. The opportunity to ‘target’ Brian Bickell with such a cheap contract has probably vanished, and he’ll be chasing other rabbits on July 1, but let’s give it a chance and see how it plays out.

• Marc10 says:

I suspect Bergie goes for broke and gives him a long contract just shy of Eric Cole money… If he thinks the kid is the real deal of course. I’d bet Toronto would offer that much. Detroit probably won’t.

Otherwise he looks at Stallberg – another forward with size and speed who’ll come at a much cheaper price.

What that does to the team’s cap and how he finds his way back under it… It’s going to take some juggling until Gio and Markov are off the books.

• Stevie.Ray says:

The best way to build through the draft is to have more picks (it’s a numbers game). The only way to get more picks is to trade. The easiest way to get players to trade is through FA. I’m hoping MB goes after 1 or 2 guys that address needs for the team, and hopefully one temporary guy that we can trade in a year or two at the deadline for first round picks.

• Habfan17 says:

Nicely written and fun to read. My only fear is Bickell ends up being another Penner. I would still take the risk.

37. habsfan0 says:

How likely is it that the Habs go after Daniel Briere once he’s bought out by the Flyers?

• vegas says:

none, zero, zilch

• habs_54321 says:

the flyers won’t have to buyout briere, plenty of takers for him will be available for him if the flyers decide they want to move him, bryzgalov is another story with that contract of his

• The_Truth says:

Briere has 2 years left at 6.5 million. He also has a no trade and said he would not waive it earlier this season.

I doubt anyone would want to trade for his contract with the cap going down and even if they do, it would be a bottom team where Briere won’t agree to go.

Flyers will almost surely buy him out in a month.

• habs_54321 says:

his cap is 6.5 but his salary is only 3 million and then 2 million the following year. a team will take a flyer on a proven veteran scorer who also shows up big in the playoffs no need to buy him out, maybe if he is absolutely refusing to be traded its a possible option but i can’t see him wanting to stay if he’s not wanted

• Sportfan says:

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Un Canadien errant says:

He would bring to the team more of what it already has. Marc Bergevin wants a team that is harder to play against. A slick undersized scorer, as productive as he could be, doesn’t line up with the new direction of the team.

• Marc10 says:

It’s either him or Bryz… and they are rumoured to be thinking of doing Bryz next year.

No way the Habs pick up another small forward and he had his chance…

I’d see him sliding in with the Pens or the Bruins. Stays on the East Coast, won’t cost all that much. Big time playoff performer with a couple of years left in the tank.

38. Marc10 says:

When your best players aren’t your best players… that’s when you lose. You can hang this loss on Toews, Kane, Sharp, Keith and Seabrook. They’re the difference makers. Asking Bickell to be that guy every night is a big ask. Someone else needs to step up.

39. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Bruins D locked up the Hawks like the cops did to the mayor this morning…

40. mksness says:

why is it that teams think they can skate through 3-4 bruins and then set up some fancy video game back door play?

gezz when will teams learn to flip the puck in the corner and have 2 forwards go for it already. if chicago doesn’t adjust they won’t win another game this series. liek the pens the keep trying to skate through the trap

i mean rask is playing well but ever shot on net is 5 feet on top of the faceoff circle and usually from the corners. gonna be hard to beat a goalie from those angles with no traffic in front for screens or tips.

• The Jackal says:

Exactly!

Bruins tend to put the puck behind the D and grind it out, set up their cycle, and when they get their passing game going, they are very dangerous in the zone. Even off the rush or without setting up they have dangerous players.
      Chicago does too, but like you say, they keep shooting from the outside, not going to the net and trying to skate through the trap. Not a good idea.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• mksness says:

they’re doing the exact same thing the penguins tried to do( ya that didn’t work out so well) it’s surprising though because the hawks did that against the kings, the dumping and chasing

41. punkster says:

Neither team had a great regular season PP but both had an excellent PK. Interesting.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

42. jo_maka says:

I won’t give Rutherford the chance to ask a second time if he wants Markov. Nygren will be Subban’s partner on PP. You can’t possibly think about having rookies from the AHL make an impact on the team in the big show and somehow forget that we drafted and signed Sweden’s best Dman this past season and not expect him to contribute.

And of course, we pick Barkov

43. Psycho29 says:

Chara handled Bickell like he was nothing…..sure we need him on the Habs?

;-)

44. Mark C says:

Chara is such a punk goon.

45. habstrinifan says:

Hawks look like they wont score another goal. Wait.. B’s made another team look like that.

Maybe it’s the B’s!!!

46. Strummer says:

” Boston Strong”

Chicago not so…

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

47. jctremblay says:

Hawks mailing it in in 3rd. Toews looks like someone stole his g/f…wake up, man! It’s the playoffs. Getting murdered as a team on faceoffs and they have no physical response to the Bruins whatsoever. Bickle? He doesn’t look too physical tonight and this is the team we will have to beat most years..not into giving non elite players 4+ Mill type money. Hope we don’t bite . Find size in the draft. Hawks are a skilled team but you see what good it does against the relaxed rules in the Finals and a team that plays with discipline and wins every faceoff. LOL…pretty much nothing after 2 2/3 games.

48. habsfaninboston says:

Hawks should just decline any PP’s. Just awful execution.

49. frontenac1 says:

Youppi went to the Dark Side when the Expos died.He is Evil.

50. Roy_s_WINK says:

Say what you will about our Habs….

…but at least we could beat the Bruins consistently at home; unlike the rest of the Eastern Conference this past month.

51. H.Upmann says:

…maybe the Hawks should try The System

52. SmartDog says:

Top 5 Reasons I hate it when Bruins win.
    5. It says “ugly rules!”.
    4. They’re a lousy role model for hockey players and people.
    3. Brad Marchand gets to be happy.
    2. It’s like watching Boston AND Toronto both win.
    #1. I don’t get to hear Claude Julien whine!

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

53. habsfaninboston says:

Bickell = Invisible Man

• The Jackal says:

That’s a good way to lower his value, hopefully GMs change their mind after one game and leave him for us at a good price.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

54. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

As many have said Bickell has not looked good. Disturbing lack of physicality from a big man…

• The Jackal says:

Seems more like an aberration considering his play… probably playing hurt. That tends to result in what you describe :D

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

55. The Jackal says:

Boston is looking unbeatable

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

56. frontenac1 says:

Bruins laying on the muscle big time.

57. Lafleurguy says:

Mahovlich. Beat lafrich to it.

“May you live in interesting times.”

58. SmartDog says:

2 differences in this game:
    - Bruins crash the net. Hawks are afraid to go to the net.
    - Bruins play team D. Hawks are disorganized, make D mistakes.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Lafleurguy says:

It looked like Peverly and then Paille were going to score on the ‘Hawks’ two powerplays. Despite the poll results, Hawks’ are outcoached by quite a large margin.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• The Jackal says:

I don’t know how you can measure the effect of coaching, but Julien definitely seems to be using his guys effectively. That being said, Quenneville has not been outcoached by a large margin. Last game could have gone either way, and this game is all Bruins. The Hawks have dominated for large stretches prior to this game but the Bruins have gotten great goaltending and their defence has been solid.

I think the biggest factor here is that players on the Hawks are snakebit and/or have allowed Rask to get into their heads. Toews and now the rest of the forwards seem to be getting stumped. Bad bounces, thinking too much, all that. They need to keep it simple and go to the net.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

59. The_Truth says:

Driving to the net is always a good thing.

60. SmartDog says:

Hey Truth,

Hawks do NOT have a Gallagher. They don’t have a guy who will go to the net no matter what. That’s what they are missing.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• The_Truth says:

They have a guy like Bickell who has been going to the net these playoffs, but it is easier said than done against the Bruin Dmen who look like trees and hurt people.

I have a strong feeling Gallagher would be dead right now, if he was a Hawk.

• Alex_425 says:

They’re missing a Dustin Byfuglien, that’s why he was so critical in their last cup win.

But a Gallagher would be better. =)

But I’m no expert….

61. Maksimir says:

Anyone notice Bickell has disapperaed in this series… don’t want MB overpaying for a 3rd liner…

62. SmartDog says:

Know what the Blackhawks need?

A Gallagher.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

63. SmartDog says:

Freakin’ Hawks look like they’re a man down most of the time.

I don’t credit the B’s with this, the Hawks need to find their A game.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• The_Truth says:

I credit the Bruins. They are really on their defensive game and really finishing their checks. Rask is always there when the Hawks get through.

Classic new era Bruins hockey.

Still plenty of hockey to go though…

64. SmartDog says:

The problem on that goal – like the LAST goal – was a lousy clearing attempt.

The Hawks are losing because of their own mistakes.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

65. habsfaninboston says:

Man, Bolland is sure a liability out there.

66. smiler2729 says:

Freakin’ Bruins, man, I can’t stand them BUT then again I was fist pumping when they totally devastated the Laffs in the last 10 minutes of Game 7 lol
    _______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.