Subban: ‘This is a character win for us.’ (Video)

Subban

The Canadiens evened the score in their playoff series with the Ottawa Senators Friday night at the Bell Centre, despite some key players missing from their lineup.

The Habs were without Lars Eller, who suffered a concussion and facial and dental fractures in Thursday’s game when he was hit by Senators defenceman Eric Gryba, as well as Brian Gionta and Max Pacioretty, who are out with upper body injuries.

“Everybody thought we were going to be down about what happened last night and with the loss of important players,” coach Michel Therrien said after the Canadiens’ 3-1 victory.

“You need character for that. And again tonight, (the)  team showed a lot of character,” Therrien said.

“This is a character win for us. This is a big win,” said defenceman P.K. Subban.

“I think our coach sent the message that no matter who’s in the lineup it’s about our attitude,” Subban said.

“And I think we had a great attitude today. We went out there and we executed and we did what we had to do.”

Therrien praised goaltender Carey Price’s performance along with forward Ryan White who had three hits and scored the game’s first goal.

“He brings the intensity that we’re looking for and also that we need in the playoffs,” Therrien said of White.

“I really like the way we played our last two games… tonight we got the result,” the coach said.

You can hear what Subban had to say below:

You can hear what White had to say below:

You can hear what Price had to say below:

You can hear what Alex Galchenyuk had to say after the game below:

You can hear what Brendan Gallagher had to say below:

1. Bobby Ward says:

Can nobody at HIO figure out how to use a microphone?? I mean, I can understand bad audio once or twice, but this ridiculous…

2. gmoan says:

Kookookichooo

3. AlbertaCanadiensFan says:

Who do you classify as an elite goaltender in the NHL today?

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Any goalie who has won 4 consecutive playoff series and wins the Stanley Cup is in the ‘ELITE’ category. Look them up. Not all may be great today as they are older or their teams have been dismantled for fiscal reasons or age has diminished the skill level of their teammates but it takes a very special goalie to win a Stanley Cup.

4. AlbertaCanadiensFan says:

How many regular season games did Price help win? He’s a member of the CH, won the world JR and the Calder Cup already in his career so suck it grandpa – why don’t you strap some pads on and show him how it’s done? You’re just a hater.

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

They say the truth is a lie told to an idiot. This is certainly true in your case. If you recall, Price made just 1 save in the shoot-out at the WJC. Thank God that Toews kept scoring for us like the American shooter Johnson (?). Price was letting them ALL in. It had gone to the sudden death shootout and many rounds later he made 1 save and Canada won. There was an amazing team in Hamilton that was doing very well before he showed up and was headed to win the Calder even if he had never arrived. When the Tri-State Americans were done he came in and took over the goaltending for the Bulldogs. They had an amazing squad that was extremely well-coached by Don Lever. Price didn’t carry a weak or mediocre team on his back to the Calder Cup. I don’t need to strap on pads because I am not a pro goaltender who is paid $6.5M to stop pucks. You don’t need to be a chicken to judge an egg. However, you do need some intelligence to hold your own in an argument with me and your IQ level is clearly lower than Room Temperature. I think it’s time for you to go exploring in your navel for hidden treasures to keep yourself amused.

5. Gerry H says:

Oops, wrong spot.

6. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

I’ve been a Habs fan for over 50 years. I have never seen a Habs goalie suck as bad as Price and come back as strong as he did tonite within 24 hours. Let’s keep it real. The Sens were not good tonite; they didn’t want to play. They got what they wanted last nite: a split. Let’s see if Price craps the bed in Ottawa. This guy is an average NHL goalie at best and any NHL goalie can play like he did tonite on any given night. However, no goalie in the NHL plays as bad in the playoffs as he did last nite. Just look at how well Nabokov(who is 38 in July) has played for the Isles. who beat Pitts. in Pitt. Price is nothing special. He has accomplished zilch in his NHL career. Let’s not crown him the king yet. He is at best #20-25 in the NHL. I don’t want to hear about how goalies aren’t developed till they are 26/27. Roy was a kid in ’86. as was Dryden in ’71 and Brodeur was 23 when he beat the Red Wings 4 straight and Cam Ward was 22 when he won the Cup. Enough with the bs about how goalies take so long to show their form. Price has a great lobbyist. Wait till he achieves something real before we shower him with praise. He is paid $6.5M per year to stop pucks and he doesn’t do a very good job of that on most nites.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Well mon ami, you’ve either been a very casual fan or have a very bad memory. Speaking of crapping the bed, you’ve just done it with your inane comment. Here’s what a real fan says … “Go Habs!” Try it sometime.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

I want this kid to be challenged. Everyone showers him with praise and he hasn’t really achieved much. No Vezina, No Hart, No Stanley and 1 playoff series win. Facts and statistics don’t lie. They are the cold truth. I love the Habs and have for OVER 50 years. I have seen a great number of teams who have been Cup winners. When Price plays in a funk he wastes a heart and soul effort of his teammates. I grew up watching coaches and GMs get rid of goalies because they didn’t anticipate a bad bounce off the back boards on a dump-in and let in the tying or go-ahead goal for the other team. This is clearly the new generation of athlete where everyone grew up getting ribbons and Cups just for participating. The Habs will never win the Cup until mgmt. learns to recognize the mysterious qualities of a Cup-winning goalie and keep flushing the pretenders out of the system and bringing in new ones to audition. There are lots of forwards/defencemen to choose from but you can only put one goalie on the ice at a time. If Price cannot take a heart and soul team like this edition of the Habs into the Conference finals this year or the Cup finals next year then he should be traded to a powerhouse offensive team where goaltending is not that crucial.

• Grabbed The Cup says:

Reading your BS I can see two differences between us, one quite stark, and one… not so much. I’ve only been a fan for just over 40 years compared to your very impressive 50, back when I watched my beloved Habs beat the Hawks in 7. The stark but obvious difference would be that I actually AM a fan, not just some schmuck pretending to be one for sh!ts and giggles.

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

You sound like a mental midget who cannot accept that some people might have opinions vastly different than yours. Being a fan doesn’t mean you have to be an idiot who just thinks everything about their team is GREAT and nothing needs to be changed. Grow up, wake up and look around you at the facts. If Price had played even an average game on Thursday the Habs would be going to Ottawa up 2-0. He wasted a great effort by the whole team.

• punkster says:

Speaking of crapping the bed.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Ron says:

You definitely are not a Habs fan. Troll yes but not a Habs fan..

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

I’m no troll. I am a real Hab fan who has seen enough Cup wins and parades in Montreal to know what it takes to win a Cup. Price is not it. He belongs on a powerhouse offensive team like Pittsburgh or the Islanders or Washington or Edmonton. The Habs will never draft players like Malkin, Crosby Letang, Hall, Eberle, Ovechkin etc. in consecutive years to be a real powerhouse. Montreal fans could not stand to lose for that long. That is why we are always in the middle of the pack drafting mediocre players and hoping to develop them into great ones like we did with Markov, Pleks, Subban and Gallagher. Price was a 5th overall pick ahead of Marc Staal, Kopitar, Hanzal, Rask, Skille, Niskaanen. He was supposed to be great, a real thoroughbred; I see an ordinary goalie of the kind you pick up in the 4th round or later who occasionally plays great. He is still #20-25 in a league that has the 30 best goalies in the world so he is not chopped liver. He is no Dryden or Roy or Worsley or Vachon or Plante or Hodge or even a Cam Ward or Brodeur or Giguere or Nabakov. BTW Anderson was drafted 77th overall. The longer we delude ourselves the longer it will be before there is a Cup parade in Montreal. If I am wrong I will be the first to apologize. I am no troll. I love the Habs and have since I was a little kid in Montreal and I am 60.

• Ron says:

I’m 67 so have a few more than you. Your a troll of a different nature but a troll no less. A Price troll to be exact. Good luck with your poor support of the team through the good times and bad.

• HotHabs says:

Why is it that when someone says something that’s edgy or controversial he/she is labelled a troll? If you want to argue his points, then go ahead. But the quick to judge replies are childish, don’t you think? Can’t we just agree to disagree? People have vastly different opinions and personal assessments of the team. Discuss them or ignore them, but leave the name calling at the playground.

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

You are both childish and churlish and are taking all this too personally. Learn to accept different viewpoints. I have made a valid point and I am not alone. Many people share my views though few will say it. Just grow up. Being a fan doesn’t mean being an idiot and thinking every player on your team is the best and should be paid a gazillion dollars. That’s how you turn into a Leafs fan.

• Ncognito says:

I agree – Price is over-hyped. I have been a Habs fan for 42 years.

7. SmielmaN says:

Oh man, I’m jealous of those of you at the game. I would have loved go hear the cheers for the White hit, Gally’s goal, and the end of the game standing O! I was there for Kovalevs elbow on Tucker and I almost yelled my voice out cheering. That was a great time! Hoping Eller is just having headaches and not a full concussion. If its just a busted nose and teeth he could be back for Garbya’s return. I want a link to Therriens conference, anyone spare a link? Thanks in advance. :D

8. The 25th cup says:

Price made myself and Boone and a lot of others eat our comments from Thursday night. I called 3 stars at the middle of the 3rd period. I am happy Ryan white is still a hab. He brought the energy we needed for this game. Whitey thanks for the solid game.Go habs Go.

9. Adidess says:

@Sholi
    The boys gave you a game worth travelling to Montreal for. The Bell Center was electric. Great to hear you had fun.

• It was so much fun, if I could speak the lingo it would have been better, not a single person around me spoke English so I had no idea what they were saying. But we all had one thing in common, we all love that team and cheered every single player there.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

…add these 2 Guys to Your Twitter following :)

11. Sportfan says:

What is that big nosed Moron Craig buttons problem with Prust he took so many shots at him.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

12. Sportfan says:

1 Koulias and Button weren’t happy with Prust but were really stupid in some of their own comments. Anderson for the second straight game dove to try and sell a penalty and Button fell for it no wonder he is on TV and not working for a team lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

13. jmsheehy19 says:

Didn’t get out of work till late so just finished. Couple points

1) Tiny is going to be a stud.
    2) PK is a stud
    3) Pleky had a fantastic pointless night. Great set ups and defensive play.
    4) My god. How ridiculous is Galchenyuk going to be?
    5) I love Whitey

14. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Love Brian Wilde but he looks like a stalker in the Price video…

15. otter649 says:

Great game tonight looking forward to sunday since The Habs played better on the road than at The Bell Centre this season (29 wins – 14 @ B.C. & 15 on road)…….

– Stanley come home…..

16. What an amazing experience at the Bell!

Never give up on a player, as a fan you have to treat them as your own. Treat them as if they were you own son out there.

Great game Habs, that’s how you play hockey!

Carey Carey Carey

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• savethepuck says:

Wish I was there tonight. Would of been electric.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• jedimyrmidon says:

Weren’t you disappointed that the series wasn’t against the Leafs, lol?

Things have certainly changed. What a crazy series we have on our hands. I’m still really wishing that Eller was fine.

• Trust me, the lead up to the Sens game was nothing special, and I am still disappointed that we didn’t get the Leafs. That would have been something special.

But I hear you, last night was amazing but it’s not my dream to watch a Sens vs Habs in the playoffs from Montreal, I don’t think that’s anyone idea of a first playoff series dream. :)

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

• Gerry H says:

Awesome night. Also made the game with my daughter. We were in the end zone reds below the RDS guys and so got to see all the Habs scoring action in the second up close. My first playoff game in Montreal. What a treat. The three biggest ovations of the night were for White’s goal, Carey’s ridiculous performance on the final PK of the second period and that hit by White that sent Methot ass-over-tea-kettle.

Deafening.