Subban sits, Habs lineup unchanged

PREGAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin

Canadiens coach Jacques Martin says he’ll use the same lineup tonight against the Ottawa Senators that he’s used the past two victories over New Jersey and San Jose. That means defenceman P.K. Subban will be a healthy scratch for the third consecutive game.

Martin said he’s certain that Subban has good confidence and that the coach has a healthy competition going for ice time.

He added that he has enough to worry about with tonight’s game to concern himself with what’s going to happen in the future as it regards Subban’s eventual reinsertion in the lineup.

1. bwoar says:

Damn, rocket.  I must’ve been away!  When did you get so sensible?  Good post dude, some “get” it, others just want to complain.  We could be on a 10 game win streak and if Subban wasn’t playing they’d be up in arms over the coach.  Overnight he seems to have gone from intelligent to bumbler.

Honestly it’s like sharing a chat room with 10,000 Don Cherrys who don’t even watch hockey.

This is the problem when people live and watch only the Habs and are not hockey fans.  Most of the complainers here couldn’t even name all the clubs in the league.  Many think it’s still 1980, which leads me to believe there’s a ton of Winnipegers here.  Having lived in both places I can’t decide which town cries the most often over the least worry.  On the plus side, both cities are a cut above the rest of the country in the beauty of their women. But that’s off topic.

2. SLONCOLD says:

Pk hat trick,

– goal

– 20 minutes of play with trash talk

– a failed pinch

then benched

3. DearyLeary says:

I never implied that Weber is more stable than PK, simply that Weber has proven himself a capable defenceman.

4. Habhopeful says:

but what if we lose and weber is minus 2, picard is minus 2, Spacek is minus 2, hamrlik is minus 2 etc…..As I always say, if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle…he will find someone to scratch and put PK in, he does it all the time, JM does not mess with a winning lineup (unless an injury or something to that effect)

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

5. KenD29 says:

Yes. Mount Royal would be a bunny hill in comparison to any mountains out west

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

6. Bugs says:

Oooo, good one, Avi.

I would say yes, he still does return and whoever played better, Picard or Weber, would stay, regardless of their output in tonight’s game.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

7. SLONCOLD says:

why would you anything?Pk has a ton to learn and the best way to learn is from sitting in the pressbox and running EA NHL 2011 simulations.

8. larisalapointe says:

Dawg, no one on our team except Carey Price and PK are potential superstars at this moment. The vets are what they are. PK will win a Norris one day, and thank his coach JM for putting him on the right track. It takes a lot of backbone to go against us the fans, is what I meant even though it makes our team even greater in the long run. In other words, I trust the organization.

9. SLONCOLD says:

i find it funny how when Richards complained about PK everyone was like PK is a elite player and can do no wrong. those same people are now saying Pk has to be taught a lesson for his mistakes and that he’s not one of our top defence men…

i personally think we are a better team with him in the lineup. the fact that we have won 2 games without him in the lineup doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be in…

and what is this dumb talk i hear about bringing kovalev back? wow

10. soperman says:

I can buy into that.  Though I am still having a difficult time waiting for PK.

11. Bar says:

As a fan I’d rather watch PK Subban than Picard or Webber.

12. Storm Man says:

When is the new movie coming out?

13. rocketsglare says:

If JM believes that his current lineup gives him the best chance to win, then so be it. The team has won

2 in a row and Picard and Weber have been solid on D. What more is there to say.

P.K. will certainly get his chance, but until then he is going to have to wait until JM deems him ready to

play again. No doubt that this time P.K. will be well versed to JM’s philosophy of team discipline, struct-

ure, and accountability.

14. ctony says:

You’re last point scared the hell out of me.  I PK to end up on a recurring benching list. It’s hard to learn if you don’t play (here or the AHL) and can make risk-takers tentative, which would be the ultimate waste of his skills.

15. bwoar says:

Yell louder, I think they heard you!  You’re a genius. You know that, right?

16. Bar says:

Or..it’ll go the other way, making him SO timid knowing that one mistake and he’ll be eating hot dogs in the pressbox. Rookies are supposed to make mistakes and learn from them, what JM is doing is going hurt PK in the long run.

17. avatar_58 says:

What if we lose, but Weber scores a goal and Picard is a +2? Then what? One of them gets scratched?

18. Storm Man says:

In Montreal?

19. SLONCOLD says:

well looks like we’re back to win and you’re in lol just with defensemen this year

20. KenD29 says:

Not to mention the hefty price tag on the suds!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

21. Habhopeful says:

Check out my pic, It says alot about the way I feel about PK, He is amazing! but everyone here who is sulking because he is not playing, or being inserted into a current winning lineup, should be ashamed, PK is ashamed for you, the guy doesnt sulk, nor can his confidence be broken, he understands what is happening right now, JM had a private meeting with PK yesterday and judging by PK’s teammates and PK himself, he is not being worked up about this as some of the “children” around here are, we arent going to win all the rest of the regular season games, & I can bet you $100, as soon as we lose, PK is back in the lineup and he will be better than ever…

so suck it up!

hot damn!

22. Bar says:

Agreed. Sit Gomez, then I can  say this organization has a backbone. What this organziation has is a two-tiered system of accountability, vets and rooks.  You can guess which way they lean for each.

23. VintageFan says:

From 25 minutes per game to 3 games in the press box?  That’s like teaching a kid to swim by throwing him into the Arctic Ocean.

24. avatar_58 says:

If that happens any and all respect I had for Martin (earned by getting to the ECF) will be gone.

25. KenD29 says:

We’ll be tearing it up here on Mont Royal after the 25cms we are receiving now !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

26. Jordio-oh says:

haha, i knew you were going to post that ” how do you know its the same people” message, even before i saw that you posted it.

With that said, i agree with you calling it out. Helps limit the rampant generalizations that have become so prevalent of late.

27. Storm Man says:

Nakiska always has some rough patches….. Fernie must talk with the snow gods always a ton of snow, I think over 250 cm to date and had over 40 cm the past week.

28. J_P says:

JM is walking that fine line of “just making a point” and “we’re a better team without you”.  If we win again tonight, and PK sits again next game, well than, the message is loud and clear from JM that “we are a better team without you”.  Considering how good PK’s attitude has been through all this, I think it’s a real shame that he’s not being given a chance to redeem himself.

Do people here really think that if PK wasnt benched, and played against Jersey and the Sharks that we dont win either of those games? Because right now, that is pretty much the message JM is sending.

29. nfldanchor says:

The fans demand that PK get reinserted into the lineup. We pay the salaries by attending and watching Habs games . Another idiot at the helm will only hurt the confidence of one of the best players we drafted in years. Martin your an idiot!

30. Bugs says:

Unless Picard or Weber play like sh*te, yes, Soobie sits again if we win tonight

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

31. Storm Man says:

Yes you should Fernie gets a ton of fresh snow. I was trying out my new Rossignol Agnus board:) Now that im used to it I will be tearing it up this coming weekend:).

32. Say Ash says:

PK has become the Senators’ latest fan.

33. J_P says:

I was supportive of Martin’s initial benching of PK 2 games ago.  However, when you set out to make a point, you have to give the player a chance to redeem himself.  Im glad we are winning, but by sitting PK again, JM is basically telling PK that we are a better team without him, and that is the wrong message to send.  If we go on a 10 game win streak, does PK really sit every single game just because JM doesn’t want to mess with a winning line-up? That would be absolutely ridiculous.  If PK comes back and makes the same mistakes again, than by all means, you can sit him a few more games, but not giving him a chance for redemption just isn’t right in my opinion.

34. VintageFan says:

If it was a question of strategy and resting players, the older guys would rest against a bottom third team like Ottawa.  And exactly what lesson is he learning? – don’t take chances? don’t talk to the press?  don’t make a mistake?  don’t be a rookie?

How’s the snow? A buddy of mine said Sunshine and Nakiska still have a few rough patches. I can’t imagine given the amount of snow, but he is a pro so I figure he’d know.

36. shiram says:

You dont make sense, there is no reason for JM to want to break PK or his confidence. If anything it will give PK a boost next time he plays, knowing his spot on the team isnt a done deal.

He might be exciting, but he still has alot to learn, and he also needs to play into JM’s system.

37. larisalapointe says:

I am glad the organization of our team has backbone. They don’t make decisions to be popular based on emotion, but what is best for the team. PK will be great one day but in the meanwhile he needs to be groomed. It’s illogical to say he was benched for a couple of mistakes in one game. They have probably been talking to him for a while but he hasn’t been listening…benching was probably the last resort. I love the kid but lately it’s his persona I’m liking but not his playing so much. Hasn’t anyone noticed the difference between his first 10 games and his last ten games?

38. punkster says:

Nice. Only done Louise out west. (hmmm, that sounds kinda…?). Gotta ski Fernie some time.

39. matmacat says:

my head is spinning from all the bring PK back comments! We’re not the islanders or the oilers where we need to play all our prospects because we have no other options. Thus far, we’re a pretty friggin’ solid team. Let it be and enjoy the ride. Talk about how we haven’t played Detroit yet or the reignited Penguins lead by the 2nd coming of Christ on skates, and how we might fare against those powerhouses.

40. VintageFan says:

Look at Martin’s history.  There are two kinds of people and players that he does not tolerate well – flamboyant and young.  How many rookies has he developed OR kept with the teams he has had?  How is Cammalleri doing this year?  He has clearly been demoted to Gomez’ line to give precedence to JM’s choice of captain.  Unfortunately PK Subban has both of the traits that Martin dislikes.  Unless he tones it down and ages in a hurry, not only will he have fallen out of contention for Rookie of the Year, he just may end up in Hamilton.

41. Storm Man says:

Yes it is and it was in Fernie BC.

42. punkster says:

Was gonna say “talking to SmartDog” instead of Tony242 but pulled back at the last moment. Can’t do that. Wouldn’t be prudent.

43. LTHF says:

Guess martin is trying to break  Subban”s confidence same as  he as done to several other young players. Sit out one of the most exciting players to watch  game in and game out–  dont make sense. Then what does?

44. WindsorHab-10 says:

JM is playing with fire. I don’t know what he’s trying to accomplish. So they win tonight, does that mean he sits out again? The kid has learned his lesson & JM is pushing his luck. The game against the Sharks had more to do with Price winning it than the team.

45. Bugs says:

Pff…kill his mentality…c’mon, Zac. Zac? C’mon. A player is a player. His mentality is his own. I don’t see Alfie’s mentality having suffered or Heatley’s mentality having suffered or Chara’s mentality having suffered from Jack Marty’s tutelage. Nor did Lalime improve since leaving his tutelage for that matter. Soobie is Soobie and will remain Soobie.

Nevermind what Picard is “supposed to be” and rejoice and what he IS. That is, the best + player on the club while not scoring. Which means: an excellent defenceman. Can’t take’m out.

Can’t take Weber out.

Aaaand we’re winning.

According to the “Hockey Gods Big Book of Rules”, Soobie must continue to sit. What can you do? Not makin anything up over here; that’s the way it works.

You know this, Zac. Accept it and put it behind you. Wait til we lose. Then he’ll be back. End’o’story. No big thing.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

46. punkster says:

Is that you in the pic? What hill?

47. avatar_58 says:

To be quite honest I’d rather lose a few to prove Martin is wrong NOW than lose later because Subban’s spark is shot to hell. So in a way I agree.

48. Propwash says:

Wow eh, talk about flying off the handle. Look, the saying “don’t fix what ain’t broken” applies here. PK will be fine. Who knows, maybe he got hurt and is given time off.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

49. Storm Man says:

Lord Martin is the law(my way or the highway young PK). I see some talk on here about getting Iginla from Calgary still. Whatever stuff you are on please no more just say no, Iginla is not coming to Montreal now what would it take to bring Rene Bourque here? He has a great cap hit:) would Calgary take Pacioretty or do we put PK as bait to see if that would work?.

50. matmacat says:

I sure hope PK is not that selfish. He knows he’ll play eventually. It’s his 1st NHL season. Why sit Picard now? For playing a VERY solid D game? That’s no message to send. PK lost his spot, and until the lineup on D falters, there’s no need to put him back in. It’s not the Montreal ‘PK Subban’s’.

51. habsfansince91 says:

isn’t the point of playing the game to try to win every night?

52. avatar_58 says:

Am I missing something here? I’ve not seen one iota of arrogance or “PLAY ME” attitude from Subban. Even before the year started he was humble – suggesting he had to earn his spot in camp. What is with this sudden “He needs to learn his place” garbage that the media and certain fans are spreading? What exactly did he say or do?

The more I read the more I realize Pacioretty is DONE here. There’s no way someone with that mouth is on the team. White also has a bit of a sparky attitude, better trade him too. I guess Cammalleri and Eller better keep their emotion in check too, Martin frowns upon passion.

53. davelecave says:

It’s a long season, and Subban is the type of high-energy, high-risk player that will burn himself out or get injured LONG before April if he plays every game. Don’t know about you guys, but I’m hoping the Habs play at least an extra 16 games this year.

Giving other guys like Weber and Picard some ice time is a GOOD thing, it shows that we have options should an injury happen, and this gives those guys a little more experience.  It also adds a bit of a competition, which will just drive up the level of play from these young D-men.  Weber is working on his shortcomings and is obviously improving.  As for Picard, he reminds me a bit of a younger Josh Gorges: nothing flashy, but gets the job done more often than not.

This is a good problem to have.

54. habstrinifan says:

If there is no communication between P.K and JM then this is troubling. If Martin has spoken to the player etc etc.. then while I see this as unwise coaching.. and bad juggling of ‘xtra bodies’ I am a little appeased. As LONG as there is and has been COMMUNICATION.

While on the subject, How despicable is Cherry. A 70 plus old man making his fame off the back of a rookie who has been benched. There is no disguising the fact. Cherry has a personal dislike of P.K which borders on hate.

And is there some sort ot ‘jealousy’ within the habs rank or maybe some unpleasant re the way Subban is viewed by his teammates. Is there a process of ostracization subtly emerging.

This has been one of the most difficult things I have had to think abot as a habs fan lately. I keep my fingers crossed and hope that the promise of this ‘exciting’ player a la the habs I have longed for is not diminished.

On to the game!

55. boris420 says:

How can you say Weber is more stable and then go on to say that PK’s developement is furthur along. Kind of contradictory.

56. avatar_58 says:

Excuse me? I was understanding him until he said he has enough to worry about TONIGHT than to worry about the future and reinserting Subban. That says it all doesn’t it? Who cares about the future, so long as Martin gets his win tonight?

57. SmartDog says:

Hey!  Closest to my own answers!

Whoda thunk it!

——-

58. notbigbird says:

Said a bit tongue-in-cheek or foot-in-mouth or shoe-on-the-wrong-foot or … 🙂

59. zacshot13 says:

I just think that JM is gonna kill PK’s mentality. Im also afraid that we are gonna mess up his development. I still think that they should play Weber instead of Picard and Subban instead of Marky. Picard is supposed to be a two-way-defencemen.

They should pair Subban with Hammer. It worked out well in the playoffs.

60. shiram says:

Picard is a defensive Dman and Subban is an offensive D-man, you can’t really just switch em out.

61. Bugs says:

1. Nope.

2. Well, let’s not go crazy.

3. If we wanna go the distance, yes.

4. Sadly, no. But it COULD be a big deal, and that’s good enough for me!

5. No, cuz we’re winning, so he must be doin somethin right.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

62. shiram says:

Hoping for a loss?? Really? Is any one player bigger than the team?

No really, JM is sticking with his winning team formation, he is giving time to a rookie defenceman, in prevision of next year and he is winning games for his team.

PK will be fine, and he will play again, this is first real season at the NHL level, and the rest will hopefully make him want to play even better next time he comes on the ice. He can start by not overdoing his slapper for one thing…

63. Bugs says:

You DO realize that’s loser-talk, right, Nottie? Good intentions or not, that’s loser-talk.

Unacceptable, mate.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

64. punkster says:

LOL Rob…timely, my friend:

1. No big deal. Weber and Picard get quality time they need.

2. No big deal for now. His time will come on later this week and again on the road. That’s a backup’s role.

3. Hmmm, well this is kind of a big deal. One of our weakest areas is scroring. A second line would be real nice, either by lighting a fire under certain people or getting a hired gun by the deadline.

4. No. Let me explain. NO. Let me further describe how I really feel. No!

5. He could do worse. He could be talking to Tony242.

65. Bugs says:

Picard isn’t JUST “a + player”; he’s the BEST “+ player” on the team. And SINCE he doesn’t score, Zac, that means he’s an EXCELLENT defender, doesn’t it? No reason to take him off. No reason.

And we’re winning.

Soobie sits and that’s it. What can you do?

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

66. zacshot13 says:

One thing I can tell you regarding your 4th question is that Kovy is available but I dont know if the Sens would trade with us considering we are a rival in the division. For us to be able to get him, we would have to give a really nice package. Like Pouliot, Maxwell and someone else maybe and a pick. I dont know what exactly the offer would be though. It would be great to see him back on that line with Plecks and AK46.

67. DearyLeary says:

Ironic that he is a special player who has asked for no special treatment.  I want him in the lineup because as stable as Weber is, PK is still better.  Weber will play a regular shift next year, but PK’s development is further along than Weber’s, so I really don’t understand the rationale of sitting PK three games in a row.

68. mark_13 says:

Good news, this is a non story anyway, Subban will be back in and likely scratched again at some point too.  Habs win 3-1, Cammalleri with 2 goals and Weber on the PP keeping Subban out for another one!

69. habsfansince91 says:

why is it bullshit if weber is playing well. This isn’t a popluarity contest where you play people because of hype. You play people because of the way they play on the ice. PK had a bad game so JM benched him and now the habs havent lost yet. Why change a winning lineup?

70. SeriousFan09 says:

1. That can only determined by the game and the scoresheet.

2. Yes, Price will need a few nights off before the playoffs so he can be ready for it.

3. Long-term, it needs to be addressed, a piece should be picked up at the deadline provided the Habs are on the pace they are on now more or less.

4. No, we don’t need him.

5. As long as the games are won, it’s safe to say he knows what he’s doing.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

71. habaddict_andy says:

This franchise do not roll red carpet or concentrate on one player especially rookies. This team is about winning, and about teamsmenship. Those who are freaking out about PK not playing wants him to be treated special.

72. zacshot13 says:

I think 2 games for Subban is really enough. Like what P.J Stock said on Hockey Night In Canada, P.K has the want to win and it is not seen in many defencemen around the league. I think, ok he made a few mistakes here and there in the Edmonton game, but the reason for that is because some people put him in the situation. Like Cammalleri gave him that pass in OT (which was supposed to be a tripping penalty). But come on, I think P.K is a great asset for us. WHY is PICARD playing and not a scratch? Even though he’s a +player, he really does not use his body to his capacity and sucks on the PowerPlay.

73. notbigbird says:

Just when I was starting to like JM, he reverts to … being JM.

Do we actually have to start hoping for a loss?

While I’m not overly concerned yet, I’m approaching that point.

This just isn’t any rookie, folks.

1. It is… it’s bullshit that PK sits while Weber plays

2. Nope.

3. Which line is Gomez on again?

4. Nope

5. He talks to the spirit of awesomeness of MAB.

75. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:

Is it really a big dea whetherl

1. …PK plays or sits tonight?

2. …Auld ever plays again?

3. …we have scoring from the 2nd line, or any line in particular as long as we have scoring?

4. …Kovalev is available or not?

5. ….Martin talks to the spirit of Terry Sawchuck to decide his forward lines?

SD