Subban sits, Habs lineup unchanged

PREGAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin

Canadiens coach Jacques Martin says he’ll use the same lineup tonight against the Ottawa Senators that he’s used the past two victories over New Jersey and San Jose. That means defenceman P.K. Subban will be a healthy scratch for the third consecutive game.

Martin said he’s certain that Subban has good confidence and that the coach has a healthy competition going for ice time.

He added that he has enough to worry about with tonight’s game to concern himself with what’s going to happen in the future as it regards Subban’s eventual reinsertion in the lineup.

1. Kooch7800 says:

Hamrlik was clutch in the playoffs as well and for us even making the playoffs last year.  PK is good but we need to see what else we have.  I think they are trying to check their assests as I think there will be a trade coming next month.

There is no rush at the moment as we are doing ok in the standings but when the right deal presents itself it will happen.

If I could dream for a minute it would be Gomez going to another team and opening up 7.5 mill in salary cap

2. larisalapointe says:

Yeah but he was swimming the wrong way

3. larisalapointe says:

You only groom champions

4. Bugs says:

It sure beats stating unverifiable and nonsensical generalizations specifically designed to make yourself seem to be more reasonable than the common populace as worthwhile supporting arguments, doesn’t it?

It’s NOT “the same people”, Slo; it’s just “people”. So quit throwing your strawmen under the bus, whydontcha; serves no purpose.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

5. SLONCOLD says:

so that’s 2 that want charts and lists

6. VintageFan says:
    • discipline = Do as you are told
    • structure = Quietly
    • accountability = Or Sit

It’s one thing for Don Cherry to say PK’s gonna get hurt if he don’t pipe down and Richard’s saying I’m not gonna do it but somebody will, with reference to taking a cheap shot at him, but it’s a completely other thing for a coach to draw the line when the straw that breaks the camel’s back are two defensive blunders in a row, one leading to the other team tieing the game and the other leading to the opponent getting the winning goal in OT.

We can support the team’s coach in his development of this particular Habs’ prospect and be opposed to Cherry and his little pit-bull Mike Richards threatening to maul him with words or on the ice.

Cherry never said he should get benched. He said somebody is going to go after him and his saying it was an not so candid way of endorsing it. Richards also invoked the code.

In a way both were right, but because they’re both neanderthals they said what they were thinking. The train of thought goes something like this:

PK no show respect.

PK bad.

Must crush PK.

8. Bar says:

Hamrlik is the BEST recent defender, how quickly we forget how terrible he was early in the season.

9. J_P says:

Gonna take off my habs goggles for a sec here, and just state that the habs are one of the most boring teams in the league to watch.  Im a lifelong fan, don’t get me wrong, but on any given night, there are far more entertaining games to watch than the habs game, even when we win.  This year, its either we win the game from the first moment the puck drops, the other teams comes from behind, or we lose from the moment the puck drops.  Not many back and forth games.

I totally agree that PK is one of the most exciting aspects of watching the habs this year, and it would be a shame if Martin stifles that creativity and enthusiasm.

10. tophab says:

groom the rest of our d that are not as good as pk.he’s our best defenseman.

11. Kooch7800 says:

I would not say PK has been the Habs best defensemen.  He has had his ups and downs this year but his a rookie and will get better.  To say he is our best currently is a stretch.  Hamrlik has been our best since Markov went down. Jorges is steady and plays a smart game.

PK is flashy so you do notice him in the game but flashy doesn’t win hockey games.

Sometimes the best defensemen are the ones you don’t notice cause they are shutting down the other team

12. savethepuck says:

Was referring to the win you’re in for goalies last year.  This year Carey is the only exception to the win you’re in by JM ( thank god). He only sits when he needs rest.

13. J_P says:

If the organization truly had backbone they would have given gomez a run in the press box a long time ago.

14. J_P says:

Seriously.  Not a huge fan of this at all.  I think you’re just setting the player up to fail because when he finally gets back in the line up the pressure to perform is immense.

15. tophab says:

pk is getting so much better not playing,I hear edmonton is going bench hall so he will get better.I think jm might be racist.big george now pk.

16. sillywalk says:

More like pulling him FROM the ocean where he could already swim and throwing him into the desert to get him to improve his breaststroke.

17. Chips says:

I don’t think his defensive play was very good previously and he has become much more confident and has tried to simplify his game to make it steadier. I would classify his play, SO FAR, as much improved personally.

25 in 2011

18. TomNickle says:

In most cases coming back with a goalie who has just lost a game is the best move you can make, the good ones are on a mission to right the ship.

19. TomNickle says:

It’s a poor situation for Martin to be in regardless of the winning percentage.  Keeping Subban in the press box shows him and the team that winning is priority number one and that no single player is bigger than the team.  However, if the guys in the room feel that Subban gives the team the best chance to win, they may disagree with the reasoning behind the philosophy.  The benching will make him better in that he won’t take his future for granted.  This will also help put his priorities back in order, he’s a media darling, doing Nike advertisements, appearances on sports talk shows, going to the box may help him understand that those things don’t come when you aren’t on the ice doing what you do best.

All of the attention would be hard to deal with for a ten year veteran, Subban is getting it in his first season, he’s not wrong or a bad person for having this stuff distract him, he’s human for it.

Price much?

20. Chorske says:

Hey STP, good post. I agree with everything.

I was profoundly uncomfortable with the win you’re in strategy when applied to the goalies, for the reasons you give- but it also goes further– if a goalie like Price is denied chances to play because his teammates let him down (which they have done repeatedly over the years, and at least twice this year), and he sits as a reult, it puts him at odds with his teammates, because it punishes him for their mistakes, which is ridiculously unfair. Goalies are weird enough as it is without pitting them against their teammates.

The same logic does not apply to PK, however- he isn’t sitting because his teammates have let him down; he sits because his exuberance can lead to poor decisions, which have directly led to two losses against teams we should have beaten (Tampa and Edmonton), and presumably the coaching staff felt he wasn’t listening to them.

21. Bugs says:

Yes, Avi. The only thing that matters is winning. That’s how it works here. It’s how we were raised.

Sorry.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

22. BJT says:

I’ve done them both, and I’ve gotta say, Louise is my favorite by far. Absolutely love it. The mens & womens WC downhill runs are amazing.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

23. Gormdog says:

So if we win 10 games in a row…. You will LOSE respect for Martin?

If PK is half the team player and a 10th of the Habs fan he purports to be, he will be ecstatic that we went on such a streak. If you think a 10 game stretch on the bench would mess up PK with any significance, he must not be the player we all think he could be.

24. Rudy says:

This is what I don’t “get” – Yannick Webere really didn’t have very many fans on here, lots of comments about “he’ll never be an NHL caliber defenseman”, I really don’t see his play as very different from before, what changed – PK has become the goat and Weber has become the stud. Like Carey said last year, one day you’re the hero, and the next you’re the goat.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

25. Chorske says:

1. No, but I don’t think he should sit much longer, for simple conditioning reasons

2. What the? Auld is playing vs Toronto, I’ll wager

3. Only thing that counts is the W

4. BLEAGH!! BLEEAAAAGHHH!

5. Wait- what?

26. Chorske says:

You start hoping for a loss, you’re not really a team fan, are you? You’re a fan of a player, rather than a team. So I sincerely hope you don’t waste your time praying for a Habs loss.

And while I agree that PK is not just ANY rookie, he is still a rookie with lessons to learn. And I think he is learning a HUGE one right now.

Also: in what lunatic town does the scratching of a rookie make such waves? Only in Montréal, folks. Whoops, sorry, I forgot the absolute metro-wide MELTDOWN when Kadri was sent down at the beginning of the season. So TO is crazy too.

27. 123456 says:

agree how the vets would take it but if they all can buy into the “team” concept it could work.

28. SmartDog says:

Nope… not gaaaana doit….

I get anough abuse as it is.

——

29. Bar says:

I don’t hope for a habs loss at all, I believe the habs are a better team with Subban in than out.

30. KenD29 says:

Should have wrote “Mount” Royal, a lapse there.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

31. Bar says:

I agree with this statement BUT there are other D who haven’t been playing great all season as well and who could see, until Subbans benching, he was the habs BEST defenseman, one bad game should not negate all the good he has done.

32. savethepuck says:

I have also thought some of our older D could use some rest and based on the way our young D is playing, we could easily do that.  The problem is veteran professionals don’t look at it as rest, they look at it as being benched.

33. Wops says:

I dont care on whos side you are. JM being right about benching him, JM teaching a good lesson, PK’s cockiness, PK’s greatness, Happy for Weber’s great play or whether u just don’t give a damn…

PK makes the game exciting, and plays a fast strong game. The best to start the rush. He’s fun to watch and he’s entertaining. Let’s hope  he gets back soon…

PS. this is no diss towards Weber’s play. he played well.

34. Storm Man says:

Oh I know Mount Royal very well, Lived in westmount for 24 years. It is now when people say Mount Royal it is the area of Calgary I live in so that is why I looked at you’re post and wondered he must be talking about Montreal or you are on some good stuff.

35. 123456 says:

so are you saying you’d rather the team be successful than listen to the fan base??

hark those harold angels that must sing! or something like that (i’m not bugs you know)

36. savethepuck says:

JM has always been a win your in guy. Doesn’t matter what the reason we win, he doesn’t change the line up.  He did the same thing last year with the goaltenders for the first 75% of the season( lose 1-0 and face 50 you’re out, win 6-5 and face 20 you’re in next game).  Agree with it or don’t agree with it, I think the players realize this.  I don’t know how anyone can be surprised that there is no change to the line up based on what we’ve seen the last 2 years.  I may be wrong but I don’t think he’s changed the lineup following a win all year unless there was an injury.  A message was sent to P.K. IMO that he takes too many chances, especially with a lead.  Most knowledgable hockey people have said they are sure the coaching staff had prevgiously relayed this to him.  It is obvious from the fact we are leading the league in GAA that we are a defense first team.  Jm is probably not going to sit the 4 veteran DMen and I haven’t seen anything negative from Picard or Weber in our last 2 wins to warrant them having to sit either.  He’s obviously going to get another chance to play.  He’s a young professional, his confidence should not be affected by this, his determination attention to detail should be better.  Don’t get me wrong. I’d rather be watching him play too, but my first concern is to watch the team win.

37. SLONCOLD says:

do i really have to make a list / chart?

38. Bugs says:

It’s nice to see someone else mention this instead of me for once.

Totally agree, man.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

39. Habhopeful says:

as soon as he is inserted back in the line up lol

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

40. 123456 says:

i for one will let the coach make all decisions, ye si’d like to see subban in tehre but if weber and picard are earning their spots then that’s a good thing. as the season goes on (if all Dmen stay healthy) i’d really like to see a rotation where even the vet’s sit to rest them.

maybe there is a bit more to this than we, the fans, know about..could be as simple as PK not playing within “the system” and JM is sending a message.

41. Habhopeful says:

Agreed totally! But in this league where parity is around, to hope for a loss to get PK in the lineup is stupid, Im still a fan of this team and I prefer them to win

42. avatar_58 says:

So in other words it doesn’t matter how an individual plays – just that the team wins? Reminds me of Price last year – oh you got a 50 save performance? Too bad, we lost by a goal. Take a seat.

I don’t agree with it, sorry.

43. Bugs says:

How do you know it’s the same people, Slo?

You keep a chart or something?

Or are you just saying “everyone is a flipflopper except me, who’s smart and knows how to remain level-headed and even-keeled; everyone should be ashamed of not being like me and I can say that with impunity because I have detailed files on what all of you said when and how”?

Give you the benefit of the doubt: Let me see that chart, please.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

44. Shan says:

PK isn’t the only defenseman on the team. Other players deserve a chance to play and prove their worth. If they’re playing well, they shouldn’t be forced to sit after 2 games just so PK can get his chance at redemption. Everybody questions the coach’s decision, but we’re not interacting with the players, so we have less information to make these decisions on. Speculation can only go so far.

—–

Their defenses are broken! Let the slaughter begin!

45. Habhopeful says:

Yes, because PK is such a fragile player, get a clue man, the world is not ending!

46. RGM says:

Just a word of advice: if you’re going to call someone an idiot in written form, you may want to make sure you know the difference between you’re and your.