Subban sits, Habs lineup unchanged

PREGAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin

Canadiens coach Jacques Martin says he’ll use the same lineup tonight against the Ottawa Senators that he’s used the past two victories over New Jersey and San Jose. That means defenceman P.K. Subban will be a healthy scratch for the third consecutive game.

Martin said he’s certain that Subban has good confidence and that the coach has a healthy competition going for ice time.

He added that he has enough to worry about with tonight’s game to concern himself with what’s going to happen in the future as it regards Subban’s eventual reinsertion in the lineup.

1. Storm Man says:

Oh I know Mount Royal very well, Lived in westmount for 24 years. It is now when people say Mount Royal it is the area of Calgary I live in so that is why I looked at you’re post and wondered he must be talking about Montreal or you are on some good stuff.

2. 123456 says:

so are you saying you’d rather the team be successful than listen to the fan base??

hark those harold angels that must sing! or something like that (i’m not bugs you know)

3. savethepuck says:

JM has always been a win your in guy. Doesn’t matter what the reason we win, he doesn’t change the line up.  He did the same thing last year with the goaltenders for the first 75% of the season( lose 1-0 and face 50 you’re out, win 6-5 and face 20 you’re in next game).  Agree with it or don’t agree with it, I think the players realize this.  I don’t know how anyone can be surprised that there is no change to the line up based on what we’ve seen the last 2 years.  I may be wrong but I don’t think he’s changed the lineup following a win all year unless there was an injury.  A message was sent to P.K. IMO that he takes too many chances, especially with a lead.  Most knowledgable hockey people have said they are sure the coaching staff had prevgiously relayed this to him.  It is obvious from the fact we are leading the league in GAA that we are a defense first team.  Jm is probably not going to sit the 4 veteran DMen and I haven’t seen anything negative from Picard or Weber in our last 2 wins to warrant them having to sit either.  He’s obviously going to get another chance to play.  He’s a young professional, his confidence should not be affected by this, his determination attention to detail should be better.  Don’t get me wrong. I’d rather be watching him play too, but my first concern is to watch the team win.

4. SLONCOLD says:

do i really have to make a list / chart?

5. Bugs says:

It’s nice to see someone else mention this instead of me for once.

Totally agree, man.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

6. Habhopeful says:

as soon as he is inserted back in the line up lol

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

7. 123456 says:

i for one will let the coach make all decisions, ye si’d like to see subban in tehre but if weber and picard are earning their spots then that’s a good thing. as the season goes on (if all Dmen stay healthy) i’d really like to see a rotation where even the vet’s sit to rest them.

maybe there is a bit more to this than we, the fans, know about..could be as simple as PK not playing within “the system” and JM is sending a message.

8. Habhopeful says:

Agreed totally! But in this league where parity is around, to hope for a loss to get PK in the lineup is stupid, Im still a fan of this team and I prefer them to win

9. avatar_58 says:

So in other words it doesn’t matter how an individual plays – just that the team wins? Reminds me of Price last year – oh you got a 50 save performance? Too bad, we lost by a goal. Take a seat.

I don’t agree with it, sorry.

10. Bugs says:

How do you know it’s the same people, Slo?

You keep a chart or something?

Or are you just saying “everyone is a flipflopper except me, who’s smart and knows how to remain level-headed and even-keeled; everyone should be ashamed of not being like me and I can say that with impunity because I have detailed files on what all of you said when and how”?

Give you the benefit of the doubt: Let me see that chart, please.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

11. Shan says:

PK isn’t the only defenseman on the team. Other players deserve a chance to play and prove their worth. If they’re playing well, they shouldn’t be forced to sit after 2 games just so PK can get his chance at redemption. Everybody questions the coach’s decision, but we’re not interacting with the players, so we have less information to make these decisions on. Speculation can only go so far.

—–

Their defenses are broken! Let the slaughter begin!

12. Habhopeful says:

Yes, because PK is such a fragile player, get a clue man, the world is not ending!

13. RGM says:

Just a word of advice: if you’re going to call someone an idiot in written form, you may want to make sure you know the difference between you’re and your.

14. bwoar says:

Damn, rocket.  I must’ve been away!  When did you get so sensible?  Good post dude, some “get” it, others just want to complain.  We could be on a 10 game win streak and if Subban wasn’t playing they’d be up in arms over the coach.  Overnight he seems to have gone from intelligent to bumbler.

Honestly it’s like sharing a chat room with 10,000 Don Cherrys who don’t even watch hockey.

This is the problem when people live and watch only the Habs and are not hockey fans.  Most of the complainers here couldn’t even name all the clubs in the league.  Many think it’s still 1980, which leads me to believe there’s a ton of Winnipegers here.  Having lived in both places I can’t decide which town cries the most often over the least worry.  On the plus side, both cities are a cut above the rest of the country in the beauty of their women. But that’s off topic.

15. Kooch7800 says:

Hamrlik was clutch in the playoffs as well and for us even making the playoffs last year.  PK is good but we need to see what else we have.  I think they are trying to check their assests as I think there will be a trade coming next month.

There is no rush at the moment as we are doing ok in the standings but when the right deal presents itself it will happen.

If I could dream for a minute it would be Gomez going to another team and opening up 7.5 mill in salary cap

16. SLONCOLD says:

Pk hat trick,

- goal

- 20 minutes of play with trash talk

- a failed pinch

then benched

17. DearyLeary says:

I never implied that Weber is more stable than PK, simply that Weber has proven himself a capable defenceman.

18. Habhopeful says:

but what if we lose and weber is minus 2, picard is minus 2, Spacek is minus 2, hamrlik is minus 2 etc…..As I always say, if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle…he will find someone to scratch and put PK in, he does it all the time, JM does not mess with a winning lineup (unless an injury or something to that effect)

19. KenD29 says:

Yes. Mount Royal would be a bunny hill in comparison to any mountains out west

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

20. Bugs says:

Oooo, good one, Avi.

I would say yes, he still does return and whoever played better, Picard or Weber, would stay, regardless of their output in tonight’s game.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

21. SLONCOLD says:

why would you anything?Pk has a ton to learn and the best way to learn is from sitting in the pressbox and running EA NHL 2011 simulations.

22. larisalapointe says:

Dawg, no one on our team except Carey Price and PK are potential superstars at this moment. The vets are what they are. PK will win a Norris one day, and thank his coach JM for putting him on the right track. It takes a lot of backbone to go against us the fans, is what I meant even though it makes our team even greater in the long run. In other words, I trust the organization.

23. SLONCOLD says:

i find it funny how when Richards complained about PK everyone was like PK is a elite player and can do no wrong. those same people are now saying Pk has to be taught a lesson for his mistakes and that he’s not one of our top defence men…

i personally think we are a better team with him in the lineup. the fact that we have won 2 games without him in the lineup doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be in…

and what is this dumb talk i hear about bringing kovalev back? wow

24. soperman says:

I can buy into that.  Though I am still having a difficult time waiting for PK.

25. Bar says:

As a fan I’d rather watch PK Subban than Picard or Webber.

26. Storm Man says:

When is the new movie coming out?

27. rocketsglare says:

If JM believes that his current lineup gives him the best chance to win, then so be it. The team has won

2 in a row and Picard and Weber have been solid on D. What more is there to say.

P.K. will certainly get his chance, but until then he is going to have to wait until JM deems him ready to

play again. No doubt that this time P.K. will be well versed to JM’s philosophy of team discipline, struct-

ure, and accountability.

28. ctony says:

You’re last point scared the hell out of me.  I PK to end up on a recurring benching list. It’s hard to learn if you don’t play (here or the AHL) and can make risk-takers tentative, which would be the ultimate waste of his skills.

29. bwoar says:

Yell louder, I think they heard you!  You’re a genius. You know that, right?

30. Bar says:

Or..it’ll go the other way, making him SO timid knowing that one mistake and he’ll be eating hot dogs in the pressbox. Rookies are supposed to make mistakes and learn from them, what JM is doing is going hurt PK in the long run.

31. avatar_58 says:

What if we lose, but Weber scores a goal and Picard is a +2? Then what? One of them gets scratched?

32. Storm Man says:

In Montreal?

33. SLONCOLD says:

well looks like we’re back to win and you’re in lol just with defensemen this year

34. KenD29 says:

Not to mention the hefty price tag on the suds!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

35. Habhopeful says:

Check out my pic, It says alot about the way I feel about PK, He is amazing! but everyone here who is sulking because he is not playing, or being inserted into a current winning lineup, should be ashamed, PK is ashamed for you, the guy doesnt sulk, nor can his confidence be broken, he understands what is happening right now, JM had a private meeting with PK yesterday and judging by PK’s teammates and PK himself, he is not being worked up about this as some of the “children” around here are, we arent going to win all the rest of the regular season games, & I can bet you $100, as soon as we lose, PK is back in the lineup and he will be better than ever…

so suck it up!

hot damn!

36. Bar says:

Agreed. Sit Gomez, then I can  say this organization has a backbone. What this organziation has is a two-tiered system of accountability, vets and rooks.  You can guess which way they lean for each.

37. VintageFan says:

From 25 minutes per game to 3 games in the press box?  That’s like teaching a kid to swim by throwing him into the Arctic Ocean.

38. avatar_58 says:

If that happens any and all respect I had for Martin (earned by getting to the ECF) will be gone.

39. KenD29 says:

We’ll be tearing it up here on Mont Royal after the 25cms we are receiving now !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

40. Jordio-oh says:

haha, i knew you were going to post that ” how do you know its the same people” message, even before i saw that you posted it.

With that said, i agree with you calling it out. Helps limit the rampant generalizations that have become so prevalent of late.

41. Storm Man says:

Nakiska always has some rough patches….. Fernie must talk with the snow gods always a ton of snow, I think over 250 cm to date and had over 40 cm the past week.

42. J_P says:

JM is walking that fine line of “just making a point” and “we’re a better team without you”.  If we win again tonight, and PK sits again next game, well than, the message is loud and clear from JM that “we are a better team without you”.  Considering how good PK’s attitude has been through all this, I think it’s a real shame that he’s not being given a chance to redeem himself.

Do people here really think that if PK wasnt benched, and played against Jersey and the Sharks that we dont win either of those games? Because right now, that is pretty much the message JM is sending.

43. nfldanchor says:

The fans demand that PK get reinserted into the lineup. We pay the salaries by attending and watching Habs games . Another idiot at the helm will only hurt the confidence of one of the best players we drafted in years. Martin your an idiot!

44. Bugs says:

Unless Picard or Weber play like sh*te, yes, Soobie sits again if we win tonight

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

45. Storm Man says:

Yes you should Fernie gets a ton of fresh snow. I was trying out my new Rossignol Agnus board:) Now that im used to it I will be tearing it up this coming weekend:).

46. Say Ash says:

PK has become the Senators’ latest fan.