Subban scratch wasn’t punishment: Martin

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | P.K Subban | Subban again | Yannick Weber

Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin said today he wasn’t punishing defenceman P.K. Subban by making him a healthy scratch against the New Jersey Devils on Thursday.

The scratch, Martin said, was part of the maturation process for a rookie defenceman. And with seven healthy defencemen, he added, there are roster decisions to be made.

Martin wouldn’t commit to returning Subban to the roster for Saturday’s matinee at the Bell Centre against the San Jose Sharks.

EARLIER: It was advertised, upon arrival, as an optional practice for the Canadiens in Brossard. But it seems that only four players haven’t laced up: Tomas Plekanec, Scott Gomez, Michael Cammalleri and Josh Gorges.

The San Jose Sharks, who flew in last night from Ottawa (!) after their pounding of the Senators, are expected to skate their full team at noon.

Updates to come. Stay tuned to Twitter for live coverage, as it were.

1. Ayan_SB says:

Rich Chere

John MacLean made team watch entire loss to Canadiens on DVD before practice today

2. joshua94k says:

If you think the Canadiens have issues to deal with (which defenceman is sitting out, who plays with Gomez, when Price get to rest etc) the Toronto Maple Leafs are having a lot worse problems.

During the drive this morning, a radio talk show heard stories about a group getting together to sue the Leafs (HNIC, TSN, SportsNet are also included in the lawsuit)

Their claims include:

• false advertising (their powerplay will be deadly with many options – they are dismally in the bottom one third)
    • misleading the public with false claims (calling Clarke Mac Arthur the next Mike Bossy – he hasn’t scored in the last 13 games).

• breach of trust (trading away their future 1st round draft picks for Kessel)

brainwashing (calling Nazem Kadri the next Sidney Crosby)

• misappropriation of funds (charging the highest ticket prices in the league for a minor league quality team)

• causing mental torture (forcing viewers outside Toronto to watch the dull, dreadfull Maple Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada)

• robbery (when season tickets went on sale GM Burke boldly claimed that this team is ready to make the play-offs)

• feigning ignorance (what asked what is wrong with the team – Burke says he really doesn’t know what is wrong)

3. andrewberkshire says:

1) Nope, we haven’t.

2) No, sometimes Lidstrom and Rafalski play together.

3) Yes.

4. TB says:

That’s funny because it is true – no one will care about Martin and PK will be the best player – but he will be the best player because of Martin’s work developing him into that top player

on Webber I disagree – if they didn’t think he was NHL ready they wouldn’t of called him up and they wouldn’t of traded O’Byrne

5. avatar_58 says:

Look I love me some subban but the fans should never influence hockey decisions

6. SLONCOLD says:

pouliot hat trick:

- score a goal

- trip on the blue line

- crash into the boards

7. nunacanadien says:

Maybe Martin should have laced up Gomez, the man gets overpaid.  Heck maybe Martin should have Gomez practicing those accidental goals, as that is the only way Gomez scores these days.

8. Say Ash says:

I blame that speed bumb at the blue line.

9. SmartDog says:

Good story (Richard). I like it.  It’s 100% bang-on.  Even stars need to have structure around them… it’s up to the coach to do that.

——-

“This is a good hockey team and no matter what situation you’re put in, you’re out there with smart hockey players.” – Jeff Halpern after his winning goal against the Laffs

10. Say Ash says:

Random questions I’m too lazy to look up:

1) Have we given up a goal this season 5-on-3?

2) Are Hammer and the Spatch the oldest pairing in the league?

3) Was Pyatt the last forward without a goal?

11. habs001 says:

if weber can contribute to the pp and offense this would be huge …teams with several mobile d generate  more offense as the d really helps out the forwards.. it looks like we will have room to add an impact player at the trade line…looking at the nhl landscape there are very few super elite teams …while we are several years away from being a top elitet team(3-4 of our prospects have to pan out) a long and dare i say a championship run this year is not out of the question…right now the 2011 stanley cup winner will not be know as one of the top teams in nhl history so i think the race is pretty open

12. JFriedman says:

If the Habs Brass knows where there $$$$ comes from PK will be in the line-up…

All very astute observations. Thanks, Joey.

14. forskis says:

Don’t get me wrong…I love it when he plasters someone through the boards…it is those open-ice, send them to tomorrow hits that for some reason are not jiving with me…it might be because it appeared to me that he went out of his way to do it, who knows…but also those hits, especially when clean, he will then have to drop the gloves and defend himself and I do not want him to pull a Chris Stewart and put himself out for 6 weeks.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

Now, you should know that he was out with two women last night…

“(as opposed to the silly response I gave you below)”

Dave – Now that you mention it, I have noticed that many of your posts this year seem to be quite silly:-)

likehoy – LMAO.

18. CHsam says:

Dude. What other coach would you rather have? and what system ?

I’m not a hockey player or coach, but I like the idea of having our forwards contribute defensively so that when we gain puck possession, the forwards move up together and gain the zone with some momentum from our own end, and with Dmen in support. I mean, if we had a Crosby or Stamkos, sure, I’d probably prefer a different game.. but as it stands, I think the “system” suits our group of committed vets and rookies.

19. Morenz7 says:

Love the avatar! Those powder blue jackets were the best ..

20. HabsTrueBlue says:

Me too and I think in time he’ll fine-tune his checking so that he misses less often. The NHL players are quicker and better at evading checks. He just needs time to sort out that part of his game.

21. JIMVINNY says:

And that’s why you aren’t a coach in the NHL, and Martin is.  Besides, your little signature at the bottom of your every post kind of takes away any cred you might have had.

22. rocketsglare says:

No problem my friend.

23. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, that’s kinda what I meant. Not sacrificing so much on the break, making sure he’s got coverage at the back, etc.

Picking his moments to be offensive, but prioritizing his defensive responsibilities.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

24. JIMVINNY says:

RE: your second paragraph – Are you saying that you don’t want to see PK laying devastating but clean hits?  Those are EXACTLY the type of hits we should want to see.  Obviously, I’d prefer that he doesn’t miss, but it’s quite often that we see our smaller forwards get plastered as they go across the opposing blue line, and also quite a while since we’ve had a d-men that will make hits like that.  His offensive brain farts are one thing, but I don’t even want to see him stop hitting like that.

25. Mark C says:

Eller – is barely performing EVENTHOUGH he has great talent

Eller isn’t putting up big numbers, but he looks great out there in his limited role and seems to be turing a corner (4 points in last 5 games).

Pouliot has been mostly lost this season, and banished from the top 6 more often than not.

Benny is on a 16 goal and over 40 point pace while getting less than 12 minutes a game. Benny averages a point every 23 minutes played, and is third on the team in hits, how does he look lost?

Pyatt is a non factor except when he uses his pure speed to kill penalties

Leads the team’s forwards in SH ice time on the #1 PK team in the league. Yeah, a real non-factor player there.

26. HabsTrueBlue says:

I agree that PK needs to work on adjusting his point slapper for the NHL but in all fairness he has more SOG than all the other Hab defencemen and most of the forwards too.

27. Mattyleg says:

…and those pesky cracks on the ice! Who put those there?! Seriously?!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

28. HabsTrueBlue says:

PKs defensive game is pretty good. He just needs time to figure out what works in the NHL and what doesn’t work and to rein in his tendency to try to do too much at times.

29. ed lopaz says:

It seems quite peculiar to play a guy 25 minutes and then bench him the next game as the 7th D-man.

1 or 2 mistakes aside – these things happen throughout the game – and they happen OFTEN to Spacek and Hamrlik almost every game.

I don’t see the d-men on this team the same as Martin does.

I have PK head and shoulders ahead of Hamrlik and Spacek – who, eventhough they are clearly ageing and desperately need the rest – NEVER SIT OUT. NEVER.

After Markov, I believe Pk is our next most valuable d-man.

That’s my view on things, but clearly not shared on this site.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government. I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.

30. Mattyleg says:

Just a little clarifier here, Eddie: The GM is the one that brought in the players, and the coach is responsible for getting the results from them.

Soooooo…. ?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. Mattyleg says:

To be more fair, he turned up to training camp overweight and out of shape.

He rested on his laurels, realized too late he had to play another season, tried to get going quickly, and got a groin injury.

I’m far happier with Pooler.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. ed lopaz says:

SF – I’m very calm. :-))

Look at the pre season projections for all of those young players you mention.

Eller – is barely performing EVENTHOUGH he has great talent

Pyatt is a non factor except when he uses his pure speed to kill penalties

AK 46 – yes. I agree. I like the way he is playing “for his contract” (quote from Habs brass)

So I don’t agree that our youth are doing so well under Martin.

And I TOTALLY DIAGREED with the benching, and the lies that Martin is spewing about it today.

My concerns about Martin did not disappear over the summer.

That’s my right as a Habs fan – I love the players – but I can’t stand the coach or the GM.

33. HabsTrueBlue says:

I’m not so sure about Pacs on that line. Both he and Poulio are left-wingers.

34. punkster says:

Yes, I have that affect on…no, wait…!

35. punkster says:

Oh crap. There I go trying to be funny and I blow it. Then you go and blow the whistle on me. Now I can’t even edit my comment.

Deepest and most humble apologies my friend :)

36. joshua94k says:

Look for PK Subban to be in the line-up tomorow. After hearing his interview and comments about sitting out the last game, one can tell he is not pleased. That’s the attitude of a winner. He knows he made some critical mistakes the last game and he was the first one to admit it. He knows there are no guaranateed spots on the team, whether it is in the line-up, ice time, speciality teams etc. It has to be earned. He’ll have an amazing game tomorrow. There is a reason he has logged the most ice time for most nights this season.

It seems Martin was using Subban to send a message to the rest of the team. A young Maurice Richard had the same thing happen to him. When coach Irvin told him he won’t be in the line-up one day, Richard slammed the door and walked out of the dressing room in anger. Irvin looked at one of the Canadiens’ players and said “that’s the type of player I want on my team”.

37. punkster says:

In a serious mode (as opposed to the silly response I gave you below) JM is no rookie coach and he’s no slouch plus PK isn’t a fool and he’ll understand the message. On top of that playing Weber is a bonus for us in that we get to see if he can handle the bigs. He did OK and will get another shot soon, hopefully to allow one of the vets a rest. PK ain’t going anywhere but up man. He’s a rock.

38. forskis says:

Both Gomez and Cammy are struggling but sometimes, being away from the ice helps in getting one’s head in order.

I am not sure why people are saying that Cammy is struggling…he may be paid to score goals, but he is also paid to put up points and he is getting plenty of assists so far.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

39. likehoy says:

I think pouliot’s greatest weakness is gravity.

- Gomez is holding down the suck button

40. joeybarrie says:

Well there is his contract….. As well as his NHL stats…….There is the fact that he is on the Montreal Canadiens website…. BUT THE MOST CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE IS THIS…. I saw him play for the Montreal Canadiens last night…. As far as I know they are still considered an NHL team. Despite the obvious lack of EVERYTHING some people seem to think they have.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

41. jbroderi says:

yawn

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

42. forskis says:

Regarding the PK scratch, I am of the opinion that it was the right thing to do…he is a rookie and still prone to making errors and bad judgement calls so it is ok for him to be scratched to get a different point of view of what is going on.

Besides, the Oilers game was his worse so far in his career and his risk-taking did not pay off this time for those last two goals.  I am also of the mind that karma was paying him back for those two goals:  at the start of the first period in that game he went for two annihilation hits (though clean) just as the opposing players crossed the red line and he went flying in, he missed both, they may have been great hits, they may have been borderline, but seeing it happen so early and with PK as the instigator did not sit well with me.  I know he can hit and hit hard and well, but not in that manner/style.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

43. DearyLeary says:

To be fair, Gui! is injured right now and it’s hard to project his stats.

44. Julie H says:

Oh Punkster, you make me smile.

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

45. Harani says:

Priceless! Who let you out?

“It must be love!”

46. mbplekfan says:

Pouliot is on pace for over 20 goals and 40 points. Thats certainly better production than we were seeing from Gui!

He is scoring regularly and playing some really good hockey. Pairing him with Eller should pay dividends for them both and it wont be long before Pacioretty fills out that line.

47. joeybarrie says:

PEOPLE ARE INCREDIBLY FUNNY…….. HILARIOUS….

Price not good enough, PG made a mistake.

Gomez not good enough Gainey made a mistake.

Hamr too old, not good enough anymore.

Gill too slow, not good at all.

Cammalleri too indifferent and not a solid scorer.

Gionta too small.

Pouliot not good enough, will never be a top 2 line player.

JM a dinosaur, hasnt won anything in his career.

PG is Bob Gainey lite, and will only continue to hurt this team.

So ok, there is alot more bashing but you have to ask yourself this question….

YOU GENIUS’ OUT THERE THINKING ABOUT ALL THIS AWFUL STUFF WE HAVE ON OUR TEAM, HOW IN THE HELL ARE WE 3RD IN THE EAST AND LEADING IN OUR DIVISION????????? HOW DID WE MAKE THE CONF. FINALS LAST SEASON????

IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE THAT YOU DO NOT KNOW YOUR A** FROM YOUR ELBOW, AND ARE SPEWING OUT NONSENSE??????????????????????

Because this is a very talented team who is doing very well so far this season. The following reasons are why we are successful:

The entire Montreal Canadiens team……

The entire Montreal Canadiens coaching staff….

The entire Montreal Canadiens management…..

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

48. habs fan from stonyplain says:

the way cammy is playing he should be at all practices optional or not he really needs to get his game in order

49. rocketsglare says:

Hey, punkster, you meant Lopaz, right? Because I am LOPEZ and I did not write that post you seem to

be taking issue with.

50. SeriousFan09 says:

You need to chill out, this is not the first time, nor the last time a blue-chip player with star potential has been benched for a night, especially when his own mistakes were involved in it.

Lars Eller, Benoit Pouliot Tom Pyatt, Andrei Kostitsyn are all performing well under Mean Old Jacques I’d add. Young players responding to his coaching, how about that?

51. Chuck says:

“I love the Habs, that does not mean I support the present Habs management.”

Ed, have you stopped to consider that you’re able to love this Hab team because of the present Hab management?

Centre Hice: one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens

52. Mattyleg says:

Totally. I’d love to see that shot on the PP!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

53. HabFanSince72 says:

Anyone with time on their hands, could you please search the  wikileaks database for evidence of NHL perfidy?

250,000 cables – there has to be something about their obvious manipulation of officials and franchises to disadvantage Canadian teams.

I just know it.

then I shall look forward to Hammer, Spach or Gill spending an occasional game in a press box… to rest.

55. Chuck says:

I think that you’d have a tough time keeping Gorges out of the lineup against his former team.

Centre Hice: one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens

56. rocketsglare says:

What a goal by Pouliot. Now, if he can do that regularly, the Habs will have a credible big man who can

skate, shoot, and score. That would be a big lift to this team’s offense.

57. Mattyleg says:

Just a quick comment on the 3 stars:

IT’S TOTALLY STUPID.

I used to look forward to seeing who the stars were, because it would give a very good indication of how the team played, and how the players looked on the ice.

Now it’s like watching my PS3 pick the stars: Anyone who scores gets a star, more assists = higher star. Forget about defensemen, or people playing close-checking hockey and racking up hits.

Gill should’ve been the first star a few games ago, and he didn’t even get a look-in.

Stop giving the Molson Cup for this, because it’s just a fan-popularity contest.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

58. punkster says:

Write this down, Ed, you freakin dinosaur.

5 years from
    now, no one in Montreal will give a hoot’s arsse what rock you’ll be
    hiding under, and Pk will have become one of the great Canadien
    defencemen and possibly the team captain.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah…

The Habs have an interesting team – IN SPITE of ed lopez,

59. Mattyleg says:

Uh, calm down Ed?

We’re doing fine, and we just won a game 5-1 with Subban on the bench. That doesn’t mean that sitting him was a bad idea. PK has to work on the defensive aspect of his game. That’s clear to everyone, including the coach.

And we’re at the top of the division. And our PP is getting on track.

Dunno what you’re griping about. Did JM steal your parking space at Costco?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

60. Harani says:

Timo, Weber is not a replacement for PK, he’s just another defenseman the Habs have developed in hopes on being in the Top. 4 a la Duncan Keith-Brent Seabrook. At this point, even though Picard is playing steady D, we need to work Weber in. With Gill, Hammr’s contracting ending this year. And the uncertainty with Markov, the Habs have almost no help on D.

San Jose is a good team with lots of speedy and big forwards and it should provide a good assessment of Weber’s NHL capabilities. Let’s give the kid a chance. Personally , I thought he played really well last night. Just did what he had and there were many situations where he could have panicked and had he made a mistake, we would just said rookie mistake. But he didn’t and he has a bullet that hits the net something PK needs to work on doing more) P.K. is good but Weber has also paid his dues in the AHL for the past two years and deserves a shot.

“It must be love!”

61. joeybarrie says:

Funny to me that alot of people were syaing the same thing about PK only 40 games ago…

I can absolutely prove to you beyond a shadow of a doubt that Yannick Weber is in fact a NHL defenseman… If you want to hear it.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

62. Mattyleg says:

I don’t really see any player as a replacement for another.

You can’t really replace a player with another; each brings his own attributes (I hate the term ‘skill-set’. It sounds like something you can buy online) and I think that Weber had a good game, and that he was certainly more defensively responsible than PK has been recently.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

63. ed lopaz says:

Write this down, Jacques, you freakin dinosaur.

5 years from now, no one in Montreal will give a hoot’s arsse what rock you’ll be hiding under, and Pk will have become one of the great Canadien defencemen and possibly the team captain.

There are 6 defencmane on the roster and Yannick Webber – who the Habs have NEVER (until they had to justify benching PK) considered NHL ready.

I HOPE Pk sits again – so that a few more people will start waking up to the nonsense this coach is spewing to the media.

The Habs have an interesting team – IN SPITE of Martin,

64. Hockey Socks says:

The Gorges injury concerns me. It’s not the playoffs, why risk injuring him further?

65. punkster says:

Naaa, but the kid needs some time with the big boys and the team needs to rest some of the vets during this pre-Xmas crush of games. He’ll make mistakes and get dumped on by the commentartiat bu the experience will do him good. Is he ready for the bigs? We’ll see now won’t we?

Maybe, but are we seriously thinking that Weber is an adequate replacement to Subban?

67. J_P says:

It was certainly an ecouraging performance though.

68. SeriousFan09 says:

In two hours, Pat Hickey, Mike Boone and Dave Stubbs are taking over Team 990 radio.

I hope I can get home to hear the online stream before the CRTC pulls the station’s broadcast license.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

7 defensemen, but only 6 NHL defensemen. Weber is yet to show anything that would make him an NHLer. Again, last night’s game is not an indication as far as Weber is concerned.

70. Propwash says:

If Georges is hurt, I’d give him the day off tomorrow as well, and put PK back in.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

Did you ever watch Martin’s Senators play? If you did you’d know that:

The Habs have an interesting team – BECAUSE of Martin.

72. Antho says:

nice post, I’m glad that genius is gone

73. Antho says:

Did you forget to mention how many pp goals??

74. Malreg says:

It’ll be interesting to see how the Parise negotiations go this summer, as he is an RFA at the end of the year.

If you’re Parise, and you get to watch Kovalchuk get a $100 million contract and do absolutely eff all, I can imagine you would want nothing less then what he is being paid.

75. JD_ says:

I’m kinda assumin’ the Habs are intent on doin’ a deal with Marky. The key will be a healthy dose of good faith, you know, truly open recognition of what’s at stake for both sides in an environment of competin’ realities.

76. Propwash says:

It could be feasible that Markov could take a pay cut….. Unlikely, but possible.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

77. JD_ says:

As noted, my hope, hope, is that Markov’s side compromises on dollars in exchange for term.

In the end, nobody, includin’ Markov, knows what the future holds as far as his health is concerned. I’m not tryin’ to overstate or exaggerate the point, but there’s no gettin’ around the fact that it’s a huge consideration. A lower cap hit at the outset lessens the risk of hamstringin’ the coffers if the Habs need to hedge their D-man bets durin’ the offseason.

The fact that 3*8, 4*6, and 6*4 all work out to the same total – and ignorin’ the time value of money’s implications as far as Present Value goes, as if it really matters - is worthy of consideration.

78. HabsFanInTampa says:

He better take a pay cut. He is too injury prone.

79. Bugs says:

27th with .910??? Dang. Good year for goalies.

Shame about Streit; you’d know HE’D make it in that top-5. (yeah, yeah, and Markov too; I was just sayin about Streit is all)

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

Over my head! fly

81. secretdragonfly says:

Sorry Ian, the Humble Pie reference is probably a bit too obscure – they were an amazing rock band from the late ’60′s/early ’70′s that included the late, great Steve Marriott and Peter Frampton, who went on to have a very successful solo career.  It doesn’t get much better than “I Don’t Need No Doctor” (live version, preferably) and “30 Days in the Hole” cranked up to 11.

82. Danno says:

Move over Rover and let Hickey take over!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Gomez says Pat Burnes dispisis afternoon games and Gomez hates morning skates.

What is the phone number to live show 990??

85. habs365 says:

I don’t think he was rushed back or he came back too soon, it was the way staal hit him and with bad knees something had to give.. it doesn’t matter whom repairs his knee..one bad hit and he’ll be gone again..Bobby orr would be the man for markov to talk to…

86. SeriousFan09 says:

1-866-896-2546

87. otter649 says:

Phone Number is 1-866-896-2546

88. Antho says:

Maturation process, like being benched and moved to grinding lines?

I was about to talk with the boys on 990, but after a couple of rye, I decided to chicken out!

90. SeriousFan09 says:

Official word from the Habs: Markov having surgery next week to repair his ACL and a torn meniscus. As HardHabits has said, we may not see Markov until the 12-13 season. He may need a year to recover from this, if not more.

91. twocents says:

Subban came off just right in those clips. He said the “right things”, but in his own genuine voice.

Nice mix of pissed, frustrated, humbled and determined.

92. MICP says:

Have  any team officials commented on 2012-2013 return or are you guessing bases on the type of surgery and reconstruction?

93. Antho says:

bad news!!! I hope he some how makes n early comeback….

The only thing good is that we can use the cap room to make a cup run acquisition?

Hmmm….mayb thats a bad idea because our last pick ups were….the breezer, metropolit and darche xD

94. DearyLeary says:

I just want him to be healthy.  I would prefer it if he not get rushed back this time.

95. SeriousFan09 says:

Just speculation really, this is a 2nd surgery on his ACL and it can be argued he never fully rehabbed from that one and he was just playing as part of his rehab because he wanted back in. He could only be ready next January and be given a tryout deal, or sit out the 12-13 season. We don’t know, it’ll depend on how his surgery turns out and how Markov’s knee responds to rehab.

96. Willy the bum says:

Gotta make Subban mean, and will see an awesome game tomorrow night.

97. Willy the bum says:

I’ve always knew Markov’s knee was not entirely stable even when he got on the ice.  Then we pressured into getting him in top form to play, and look what happened.  Should feel bad already for impatience, for getting Markov on ice as quickly as possible.  We have to look at other alternatives, and leave Markov off for the time being.

98. Danno says:

I agree. He is a really smart, thoughtful and passionate young man. He has the attitude of a true professional.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

99. VancouverHab says:

Chicken on rye makes you reticent?

100. sidhu says:

If Marky is out for the year, we should look into getting some depth.  I am optimistic with Weber’s play and Picard’s play has been solid throughout the year. But I would argue that we should have another true top 4 D-man on the team — the older guys may break down over the course of the season and the younger guys are too young to be fully trusted with big minutes.  I’d get someone like Bieksa, use Picard as our #7.  Then, I’d give Weber a roster spot next season to replace a departing Hammer.

101. MTLForever says:

hopefully he has a good surgery, and a longer recovery this time.

102. skoalbandit says:

markov out for year

103. SeriousFan09 says:

He was never quite right last season after the tendon surgery either, I still maintain pre-injury Markov would have never been in that position when Cooke hit him and he tore his ACL the first time. He’s rushed himself back from injury twice for the team now, he really needs to take his time now.

104. DearyLeary says:

Our defence hasn’t been our problem, it’s scoring goals on a regular basis.  A top flight forward would be our best use of cap space.  If we’re in the top 3 at the trade deadline look for a rental forward to be acquired.

105. sidhu says:

Any suggestions for a forward we should acquire?

106. Ayan_SB says:

Before acquiring any forward, I think the Habs should give Pacioretty a chance on the 2nd line.

107. habsfan_61 says:

now that we know what has been “painfully” obvious the past few weeks, that markie is done for the year. let’s see what pg does with the cap space. do we get a quality dman or a top 6 forward and who do we give up in order to acquire these assets.i hope that the right choices are made and helps us get to the promised land

108. Storm Man says:

We need help on the backend come playoff time. A top flight Dman is the best use of the cap space.

109. Hagar says:

Markov out for the year? I just hope that when he does come back, he’s 100%. I also hope that when he comes back, he stays injury free for a good long time. Playing w/o your Queen makes for frustrating Chess matches.

110. Storm Man says:

So I take it you think he is not playing 2011-2012?

111. newbrunswick troy says:

Oh crap…Markov out for rest of year , well thats one thing that should spark debate on this year….But more importantly although i,m no true expert i do know from my own experience blowing  “Two ACL,s ” in the same knee from playing ball and then in hockey, that my career for and “hard play” was suggested to be over by my doctors ” FOR GOOD “  As i think it was for Bobby Orr and many others….So somebody correct me tell me i,m wrong PLEASE, PLEASE   !!!!!

112. SeriousFan09 says:

If he does, he’d be signing at about the 30-40 game mark if we figure a year of rehab for him or similar to that. As of right now, I think he needs a full 12 months of Rehab and recovery, get the knee fully functioning and restore his conditioning which was never really at optimum when he returned from injury over the past couple season because he was coming back early.

113. Storm Man says:

Bure had his ACL torn in the same knee two times and he was fine :).

114. drivefor25 says:

All the best to Andrei. Hope he comes back a strong and healthy Hab.

Fan since ’71

115. SeriousFan09 says:

Markov has access to pretty much the best sports medicine money can buy and medical technology has advanced quite a bit since Bobby Orr’s time. It will be difficult for Markov and he’ll probably never be all of what he was, but I believe he can make it back to the NHL if he recovers well and takes enough time to properly rehab that knee.

116. andrewberkshire says:

Gotta feel for Streit, knocked out for the year (assumed) because of an idiot’s crosscheck in practice. We’re talkin’ ’bout PRACTICE.

117. sholi2000.com says:

I say use the space to trade for Zach Praise, he’d be a rental, but the Devils are looking for solutions to the crap bed they made and there’s no way they can sign Praise.  Another player I’d like to see is Brad Richards (PEI connection).

Maxwell and 1st rounder for Zach?

We’d be giving up a first round selection but them’s the breaks when making a run for the Cup.

They Call Me Shane

118. andrewberkshire says:

Pretty sure Justin Williams blew his ACL twice in the same knee and he’s looking great this season. It’s all relative. We normal folk don’t have access to the same surgeons athletes do. Remember that Orr’s injuries were 40 years ago nearly, science has improved since then.

119. andrewberkshire says:

Shane, Zach Parise would cost a hell of a lot more than Maxwell and a 1st. He’s a top 4 winger in the entire NHL. Probably the best left winger not named Ovechkin.

120. Storm Man says:

I just hope he gets his knee done by Dr James Andrews this time around. As for him coming back early that would have been something his doctors messed up on by giving him the green light. He should be ready to roll by the start of the 2011 season.

121. Former Jets Fan says:

Terrible example to use, sadly.  Bure had several ACL injuries, and one to his meniscus, and retired at 32.  He returned from his injuries/surgeries to finish the ’02/’03 season, but was never again cleared to play thereafter.

122. habsfansince91 says:

that would be an insult to the new jersey devils. Parise can easily go for a top six forward/top 3 defenseman, prospect and a first rounder

123. Hagar says:

If Gauthier manages to land Zach for Maxwell & a 1st, the city of Montreal ought to erect a gold statue of him in his honour.

Teemu Selanne. He took a whole year off.

125. Hagar says:

Halpern has/had a terrible knee. Look at how great he’s doing.

126. andrewberkshire says:

Justin Williams was injury prone for 3 years, now a point per game player.

127. SeriousFan09 says:

So exactly how drunk do we get Lou before this deal is proposed?

Maxwell would be the throw-in on a Parise deal.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

They rushed Markov back twice now. Big mistake IMO as the team was winning. Nevertheless it means cap space on the short term and a need to find another top 3 D man long.

129. Storm Man says:

Hmmmmmm I guess if you think coming back from his 2nd ACL surgeries and scoring 58 goals and 59 goals the year after as terrible you may have a point.

130. habstrinifan says:

Do you really think Gill is playing well. His ice-time in the second period was mostly when Oilers gaine dmomentum and score dthe goal to make it 3-2. After that it was panic play by Habs.

131. sholi2000.com says:

Ok so my offer wasn’t fair lol.

Noted.

They Call Me Shane

132. LA Loyalist says:

I believe leafs are grooming Doug gilmour but that just started Kirk is a lot more experienced.
    If we lost captain Kirk after losing boucher I would have even less respect for mgmt than I do now — something I thought was impossible in either official language.

133. RJB says:

I think Rick Nash plays LW as well does not? He’s up there with Parise IMO

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

134. andrewberkshire says:

I think Markov rushed himself back, he’s a very competitive player. It’s best to let him take the time now, but if Weber can make an impact I’m not sure if it’s worth trading for a defenseman (not many good ones on the market). I’d much rather nab a power forward for the second line so Pouliot can stay with Eller.

135. Storm Man says:

Bure won 2 rocket richard trophies after his 2nd torn ACL in the same knee. AM79 will be fine just needs to see the right doctor this time around.

136. Storm Man says:

AM79 had the green light from doctors, The doctors made a mistake.

137. habstrinifan says:

YEP!
    I for one could not understand all the negativity from fans here towards Mariano’s updates. They should be more upset that Habs PG and JM have such little regard for the fans that they wont even allow the fans to hear them in a casual interview as so many GM’s have already done on team 990.

Say what you want about Brian Burke, he stands up and faces the music. I wish our GM did. The handling of things like the announcement of the captaincy and this Markov injury has been foolishly secretive.

138. Propwash says:

Does Muller’s contract expire at the end of the year?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

You talking about respect. LMFAO. Really who cares what you think. It’s not like you’re a Habs fan anyways.

The Habs did not lose Boucher. He got a job offer.

At any rate I prefer Martin’s defensive system to Boucher’s lack of one.

Toronto is a mess. Why would Muller want to go there anyways?

140. avatar_58 says:

Losing Muller is unacceptable so I pretty much pretend it’s not going to happen. Not possible.

141. Storm Man says:

I see a few posts here saying AM79 rushed himself back and he should have waited a little longer. Pro Athletes can’t pass wind after a injury untill the docter’s say the player is ready to play again. I for one hope AM79 find’s the best knee doctor he can this time.

142. Hagar says:

Yes he will. Ever since seeing how well Halpern has played after hearing he had a bad knee, I’ve been secretly wishing various knee injuries on all of my players.

143. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I would take Parise in a heart beat if he was available,  and I’d love to see a good maritime kid like Richards in a Habs Uni.  We need to convince Lou that his team dearly needs Gomez back to bring back the glory days.

144. Caper says:

LOL-that’s funny.

145. Mark C says:

Markov saw a great doctor at one of the best hospitals. There is no way in knowing if he was “rushed back,” without seeing his test results. Clearly, Markov passed all of his tests before making his return. Re-injuring his knee is not necessarily an indication that Markov came back too soon. After the first major knee injury a person will always be at an increased risk of another injury. Markov could have taken 5 years off of playing pro hockey and came back and injured his knee under the same conditions.

146. Mark C says:

So you’d have more respect for the organization if they blocked the vertical advancement of people’s professional careers?

Can’t we let the Boucher thing go? It’s not like he’s lighting the world on fire in Tampa so far.

147. Storm Man says:

I hope you feel the same about the football team you cheer for also as they need a little help;).

148. andrewberkshire says:

Pretty much everyone gets the green light by the doctors before they’re ready. It’s the way pro sports goes.

149. Storm Man says:

What was the name of the great doctor?.

150. andrewberkshire says:

Offensively he’s up there with Parise, so his Daniel Sedin, but Parise is also an elite defensive player. I would take him for my team over Ovechkin actually. He’s a leader, and much like Crosby he excels in every aspect of the game. Hardest worker not named Crosby in the league.

151. ooder says:

boris yeltsin drunk

——————

88 is the new 23

152. Storm Man says:

So you think that the owners of a pro team wants to rush his investment back into playing at a risk of been hurt again. That is a very bad move on the owners part if that is the case.

153. Hagar says:

On that note, anyone out there know if your odds of a reinjury are higher if you come back from an injury earlier than expected? Say 75% (good enough to play) vs. 100%. I’m kind of curious.

154. Mark C says:

Anthony Miniaci of the Cleveland Clinic, which is one of the leading orthopaedic hospitals. Looks like Markov is now going to Andrews, maybe the Habs weren’t pleased with the job of Miniaci, however there are many other reasons why they could be using Andrews now.

155. Storm Man says:

Kaboom…… Im so happy Dr James Andrews is doing the surgery on AM79 this time.

156. Ayan_SB says:

BTW, didn’t you write that Mariano was “a F. hack” for revealing pretty much exactly what the Habs organization reported today about Markov’s injury? Guess he was right afterall.

Heh, keep it classy Berkshire.

157. Storm Man says:

I have been saying this for weeks that AM79 should have gone to Andrews in the first place. He is the best knee surgeon.

158. SeriousFan09 says:

He was being a hack, that was private medical information that he didn’t have the right to know or release.

159. Ayan_SB says:

What “rights” are you talking about? Who exactly did he hurt by
    releasing this information? Everyone involved including Markov, his
    agent, the doctor and PG must’ve already known that he needed surgery. And how do you
    even know the circumstances behind how Marinaro got his info?

While everyone congratulates him for getting the scoop, you two haters are calling him a hack. With that regard, maybe you close your eyes next time you come across the latest Wikileaks release, cause you know, that’s all-important “private information” too.

A chess game has 8 other potential queens.

161. punkster says:

Good find.

162. Hagar says:

I wasn’t insinuating anything. Just a question.

163. andrewberkshire says:

And I stand by my comment, because he illegally obtained someone’s personal medical records. And the fact that he’s a cocky tool about it makes it even worse.

164. andrewberkshire says:

I agree, terrible move. But sports is usually a very short sighted business.

165. SeriousFan09 says:

Remember you said this if you ever have your confidentiality breached in any way. Markov chose to reveal his private medical status to certain persons as his right and I doubt his agent (who wants to protect his client), his doctor (sworn to hold up his privacy) or the team GM (Who likes to keep things quiet) speed-dialed Marinaro to give him the scoop. People who do not have the right to know this, gain access to it and then release this information without authorization from him are not engaging in an ethical manner.

166. andrewberkshire says:

Comparing leaked information about corporations or covert operations that are illegal under international law is a lot different than someone’s personal information. The fact that you would even compare them for the purpose of trying to insult me shows you’re not thinking this through very well. Not sure what I did to piss you off, but now I know how you feel.

167. sidhu says:

Subbie will come back strong — I like him a great deal, though think it’s good to make sure rookies are playing simple and aren’t doing too much. That’s why Picard, Gorges, Gill are playing well — they play a simple game.

168. HUDSONHAB says:

Idealy, Muller would stay around until Martin wins the cup or gets the boot. As far as the Leafs thing, who would want to go there for atleast a year or two when they get another first overall pick of their own.

….Hab4life….

169. Jordio-oh says:

Stubbs is great.

Boones big line is Alaska,fishing with the stars, After talking dancing with the stars with Gomez

171. HabFanSince72 says:

Some interesting stats:

Halak 27th in the league with a .910 save percentage.

Top 5 defencemen scoring: Bufyglien, Letang, Liles, Enstrom, Visnovsky.

Live blogging 990 and our Hio men, I need another rye, and I better retire from my live blog contract for now.

173. secretdragonfly says:

Apologies to Stubbs et al but I remembered why I don’t listen to talk radio anymore – ADS, ADS, ADS – holy cow! Back to HIO and a little Humble Pie on the Victrola.

He plays for Hamilton

175. Mike says:

?? He has been called up for awhile now..;. He played last game…..

176. tony d says:

and you know this because you’ve been chanelling the spirit of Scott Gomez?

177. samTHEman says:

Who got the 3 stars last night?

178. DearyLeary says:

Eller, Price and Hamrlik if I recall.

179. Danno says:

Here they are from the official site…

Three star selections
    1st:   LARS ELLER
    2nd:   BRIAN GIONTA
    3rd:   CAREY PRICE

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

180. DD says:

The Hab faithful may “boo” Briere everytime he steps on the ice in the Bell Centre, but they didn’t put his picture in every urinal throughout the building, which according to The Ottawa Sun happened last night at the ‘$#it Hole in the Middle of No-where’

After the sen’s Spartan actor fiasco during their first play-off game against Pittsburgh a couple of years ago, it’s no wonder why Heatley wanted out. This team is a mickey mouse operation, from their Platinum, Gold, Silver and regular game packages, to their penchant to force customers to purchase equivalent tickets to lesser games on week nights, when buying premium ‘Platuinum’ tickets. Between them and leafs, it’s hard to tell the difference, besides one being an “Army” and the other being a “Nation”

181. Malreg says:

Yet they didn’t even sell out the game last night???  Apparently there was over 1,000 tickets still available on game day, and there were plenty of empty seats during the game.

182. J_P says:

The fact that Bryan Murray still has a job in Ottawa illustrates how poor of an owner Eugene Melnyk actually is.  His team has gotten worse every single year since Murray took over.  Clouston has clearly lost the team.  Even his captain is in a huge slump.  If that’s not an indication that its time for change, I don’t know what is.

As a Montreal fan though, I guess I cant really complain about Ottawa’s recent futility.  I just find the whole situation perplexing.

183. DD says:

Conspiracy Theory:

Eugene Melnyk grew up in TO and is really a leaf fan. He was installed as the owner of the Ottawa janitors by the loser leaf nation to stifle any Ontario team aspirations of winning the Cup, because whether they admit it or not, the leafs know they have a snowball’s chance in hell of winning anything with Burke’s Team Truculence.

Komi gets standing O every time too.

185. Fansincebirth says:

This city (Ottawa) was absolutely rabid for the past week and expecially yesterday. Local news stations and radio stations were obsessed with it.

186. sholi2000.com says:

No more ridiculous than the fans who booed Price GM 1 preseason.

There are losers all over the world, and most show up when someone is down.

They Call Me Shane

187. HabFanSince72 says:

Heatley got what he deserved.

188. Fansincebirth says:

Open invitation to all the Sens fans out there to go to Montreal, buy a scalped ticket and continue your laffable Heatley display from last night.

What a ridiculous fan base these morons are….

189. DearyLeary says:

What, Montrealers don’t boo Briere every time he touches the puck anymore?  Briere never played a shift for the Canadiens and we spurn him for not signing here.

190. J_P says:

Terrible tradition.  Gomez should pick up the tab (seeing as he isnt exactly earning his 7.3 million), or the players should all pay their share, and the rooks should donate the equivalent dollar value of the whole thing to charity.

191. homerbowen says:

Hopefully Gomez will be with the Dogs and one less meal for rookies to pay.

Gomez says Eller and PK for rookie meal, will be on the hook for a large bill. Great tradition,

193. Mike says:

when is the rookie meal.. wouldn’t weber have to chip in if he is still there.

194. Bugs says:

So long as you’re not the rook.

Whatever happened to playing Yahtzee! anyway?

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

195. punkster says:

Well now, being a far-minded individual I’m more inclined to be giving the benefit of the doubt to the Luffas. In fact they…wait a minute, I haven’t a leg to stand on in this discussion. I respectfully decline to return the volley.

On a lighter note, Burkie has stated emphatically, via e-mial (see Dreger, TSN, 11:36 am today) and I quote: “No coaching change”. I’m not clear on exactly which team he was referring to, possibly Aresenal Football Club, who knows.

(Well done JD ;)

196. Kappy says:

Hey JD,

Nice post!  I will be sitting in Section 119, Row W, Seat 25 at tomorrow game.  See ya there.  Let’s hope for a repeat of last night performance.  I got my fingers crossed in hopes that P.K is playing, but after last night I have my doubts.

197. twocents says:

JD, Meehan, despite his high flying rep, has proven to be a reasonable negotiator. Markov’s last contract is proof positive.  Gainey has publically said that Meehan does business the way it should be done.

He’s no fool. He knows the question marks this injury has raised, and, he knows Markov loves Montreal, feels very comfortable here, and values that comfort greatly. My bet is he would be willing to sacrifice yearly hit for a term that represents a legitimate commitment and belief in his ability to continue contributing, even in a diminished role. Eighty percent of #79 is still worth a lot more than 100 percent of #6.  3-4 mill. for 4 years.

People can point to what may be passed over in committing to Markov. But if you think about what Markov brings, even at reduced capacity, you see it’s a beau risk. If he crumbles again mid-season, yeah that’s tough, something potentially gets sacrificed at the trade deadline to replace him. If he doesn’t you have the single best mentor for PK, Weber, maybe Carle, possible in this market. No one else can play that role as effectively or assuredly. You have one of the best PP quarterbacks of his generation and you have a guy who’s not going to play games talking to other teams to drive up his value.

Anybody else who could be signed with that money can get hurt too. That risk is always there. With Markov there isn’t a single other risk involved. Can anyone nominate an upcoming UFA D who poses no other risks than injury?

It’s not the situation anyone wants to be in, but it’s not as ambiguous as it seems. If he was over 35 and the coin was guaranteed cap hit, we’re in a different ballpark. He isn’t, and so I think it’s fairly simple. It’s less than ideal, but simple.

198. SLONCOLD says:

i don’t think they have many options with markov other than a 1 year deal at 5m.

199. JD_ says:

* It’s difficult to appreciate how far the pendulum has swung in New Jersey until you sit through a full game like last night’s, although I admittedly had to partake in the first two goals, Hedberg’s yankin’, and Pleks’ penalty shot via the radio before settlin’ in for an otherwise uneventful first period. I appreciate Parise’s out, but that team on the ice last night was devoid of any fightin’ spirit or visible signs of pride, whatsoever. Yeah, Marty B. hasn’t been great, but there’s more to it. I earlier dismissed the notion the Kovy II debacle would negatively affect the team and am now left to ponder otherwise.

* John MacLean’s system apears to be about as thoughtful as Bruce Boudreau’s, except that, although very handsomely compensated, Kovy II ain’t Ovechkin and does not appear intent on carryin’ anythin’ on his back, at least not at this point.

* On the Markov file, there’s goin’ to have to be a load of good faith at the table if a meetin’ of the minds is to be had. If I’m Markov’s agent, I’m obviously lookin’ for dollars and term, but would probably compromise on the former in favour of the latter given Markov’s age and question marks surroundin’ his medium- to long-term viability. At least, as a Habs fan, I hope that’s the approach. The biggest risk the team faces is they lock up Marky durin’ the offseason, he gets reinjured early on, and, although a return to the LTIR frees up cap space, the door is closed on any prospective UFA D-man until the followin’ offseason or headin’ into the trade deadline, at the earliest. And, as Basu points out, there is a dearth of prospective D-man rentals likely to be available for the Habs’ back pocket right now and ahead of this offseason. Not an easy one.

* Just saw this headline, “Leafs [Loafs] nearing rock bottom”. Okaaaaaay, let’s evaluate. A lousy team with little offence, cap over-committed on D, very little in the way of tradable assets, a dearth of prospects, and nothin’ in the form of a high draft picks for the foreseeable future gets absolutely pasted 5-nil by a cellar-dweller. I’ll have to assume the term nearing is bein’ employed in the quantum sense in that any actual distance from rock bottom is merely theoretical and most certainly not visible to the human eye.

* Burkie might want to avoid any experiments when he dispatches Wilson before the All-Star break – I’ve given up on my US Thanksgivin’ call seein’ as US Thanksgivin’ has passed – and go with someone tried, tested, and true. This isn’t the time for some ex-Loafer to try his hand at coachin’; the team needs some steady, non-bombastic professionalism. I’m speculatin’ Hitchcock. Like Wilson, bit of a hardass, but a new hardass and, from what I’ve gleaned from HI/O over the years, new is always better.

200. dh says:

Regarding New Jersey, I wonder what impact exactly the KovyII contract has with respect to future contract negotiations to the rest of the players.

Regarding Markov, Although what you say may make sense, I think the biggest risk is dumping him and lettin him get picked up by a division rival.  I think that some creative contract negotiations should be able to deal with it either way.  For Markov he is probably not in the best negotiating position at the moment.

201. SeriousFan09 says:

Alexander Avtsin was snubbed from the 2010 Russian WJC Camp invitations. He was not invited last year, but he was 18 and this year it may have to due with his breaking contract with his KHL team to come play in NA. I can’t imagine he has a very favourable view of going back to Russia after that, it’s not like they’re in a position to turn down help on their junior squad.

202. DearyLeary says:

It’s very likely to do with politics like that.  I’m fine with it if it motivates him to play better in the A.  Going to another Bulldogs game this weekend, hoping to get a good look at him.

203. JD_ says:

Wouldn’t it be, however, refreshin’, albeit totally impossible, for Burkie to issue a press release statin’ that although Ron Wilson’s job is safe, he should nevertheless give very strong consideration to packin’ his things, setllin’ outstandin’ issues, tyin’ up loose ends, and familiarizin’ himself with all of the ACC’s points of exit.

204. samTHEman says:

They played back-to-back games calm down..who are you to say when they should practice and when they shouldn’t, really?

205. tony d says:

I can understand why Pleks and Gorges didn’t lace up but Gomez and Cammy? Really?? I guess because Gomez scored last night he feels his job is done and he doesn’t need to practise shooting on net (even though he missed another wide open one last night and shot wide) Or maybe he and Cammy are in therapy together to see if they can be happy on the same line.

Cammi actually took a couple of strides last night… must be exhausted. Gomer is probably in a state of shock for scoring and just doesn’t know what’s what anymore.

207. ScottGomez says:

Pleks, Cammy, Gomez are conserving the energy for the Sharks tommorow. A good time to watch some video highlights about the powerplay which is getting better each game.

208. VancouverHab says:

Except Gomez underwent his rookie initiation back when it really was an initiation (read the Red Fisher column posted on H-I/O last week) and he’d have happily paid for a dinner instead.

(That reminds me that the tragic Doug Wikenheiser’s career was ruined by an injury incurred at the St. Louis initiation.)

209. longtimehabsfan says:

Their altitude radar must have looked like a Christmas Tree.

210. J_P says:

The sharks “flew” in from Ottawa? A city that’s barely an hour and a half away by car?

Sounds a little ridiculous to me.

211. Dave Stubbs says:

Presumably, their jet had to be in Montreal anyway.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

212. Say Ash says:

Better Heatley in a plane than on the road.

213. joeybarrie says:

125 miles… At least 2 hours on a bus, or a 30min plane ride… Which would you choose when planning your day. Probably doesnt cost very much more to fly the plane either. To be honest, if I could make it to Montreal in the time it would take someone living in the west Island to get to practice, I would choose that.

And like Stubbs said, the plane would have to follow them anyway.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

214. LA Loyalist says:

Sitting in la traffic but I trust you guys to report like you were fox news :)

215. SeriousFan09 says:

Scott Gomez is on Team 990 right now, they did this just for you SmartDog and LA Loyalist.

216. JD_ says:

Roger that. Will look for you and your dad, KP.

I’ll be the guy belligerently tusslin’ with the usher and spillin’ stuff everywhere.

217. punkster says:

Just a bit of advice Kappy. Don’t say the words “Niagara Falls” around JD.

218. JD_ says:

And absolutely avoid mentionin’ the Prohibition around Punkster. It deeply tainted his Boston days.

219. Julie H says:

Snap on that.

220. JD_ says:

I agree anyone can be injured, $0.02, but on a risk-adjusted basis, Markov’s contract will be higher up the scale. That’s why I can easily live with the kind of cap hit you’re suggestin’. I’m also cool with Marky potentially in a reduced role.

Havin’ said that, it is still a robust assumption that the Markster signs what could ostensibly be his last big contract for total consideration of $12M-$16M. This is where the absence of simplicity enters the picture. Thus my contention that an overabundance of good faith on behalf of both sides will be essential to a meetin’ of the minds.

221. twocents says:

In my view, good faith has been established on Markov’s part.

As far as risk adjustment goes, people need to understand that at his age(under 35) the risk is really a season to season thing and need not be viewed through the lens of the full term. He packs it in next year, he’s off the cap books. The team deals with it at the trade deadline or the following summer.

Every year he plays, he’s an incomparable asset.

To make it clear, I agree with your initial post and am only reinforcing it… with a little twist.

btw, Have to run. Will check in later.

222. JD_ says:

I’m not really concerned about full term, $0.02.

I’m only concerned about the possibility of an early reinjury married to a meaningful cap hit and the Habs not bein’ able to have a solid replacement on the books until the trade deadline, at the earliest.

Give me a relatively modest cap hit and I’ll sleep well.

Cheers.

223. J_P says:

That makes sense

224. homerbowen says:

Gomez is just a waste of a good Habs uniform…..send him to the Dogs.

225. joeybarrie says:

Here we go, GOMEZ is the worst player ever and is spitting in his teammates eyes by not skating today because of his production… Can we get all the Gomez bashing because he isn’t skating today over quickly and on to better topics…. So much predictability and whining…..

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

226. tony d says:

He couldn’t spit in their eyes if he was an inch away from their faces.

227. Julie H says:

Agreed. When you leave the way he did, it like the ultimate disrespect to the team, the city and especially to the fans. Good to know we aren’t the only fans who don’t like to see our former players in a new uniform.

228. Les-Habitants says:

Against a team like SJ, we need Subban’s physical presence and I hope to see him back in the lineup.

Weber looked really good in yesterday’s game, and it make me believe that he might be able to earn himself a spot on the Habs.  The tough part is going to be how to keep both in the lineup.  Maybe Weber gets another swing at forward?  So far, his play as a D was vastly superior to his time on the 4th line.  Tough choices for JM.

How do I get the link to 990 radio please

230. SeriousFan09 says:

Team 990 feed

231. RJB says:

HIO crew with Brunt! A perfect combination. Stephen Brunt one of the best we have in Canadian media

- Bilbo Baggins

232. since1988 says:

Great writer, great commentator for radio and tv…love how he called the Leafs incompetent

“When people agree with me i always feel that i must be wrong” – Oscar Wilde

233. Ayan_SB says:

I’ll sometimes watch Prime Time Sports on Sportsnet just to hear what Stephen Brunt has to say.

234. avatar_58 says:

NHL11 funny bug – Gionta gets injured, C automatically went to Cammalleri. Gionta comes back and now I have two ‘C’s. Hmm…..Cammy really is selfish, he refuses to give up that letter.

235. MTLForever says:

Mine randomly had AK46 and Gionta as captain

236. Mike says:

Best part of NHL 11.

Trading Gionta+Cammy+Gomez+ Weber+ Lapierre+Desharnei for Gaborik+Nash+ Malone and picking up Lisin in FA

Lines:

Gaborik-Pleks-Nash

AK-Eller-Malone

Pouliot-Halpern-Lisin

Darche-Pyatt-Moen

237. RJB says:

Love the way Boone cut him off there, this is high quality entertainment!

- Bilbo Baggins

Thanks Robert, I got it.

What is this NFL stuff!. Boone just loves the Steelers.!

240. RJB says:

Boone never passes up a chance to talk football, or give us a history lesson about the Rouge and French conquest Ian!!

- Bilbo Baggins

Ya I know Ryan.  To bad the HIO boys don,t invite 990 or others to partake in our site. But maybe they can only talk not make written comments.

Won’t be long before I start having my own column in the Gazette. Then watch out.!!

242. RJB says:

Hey Ian I hope they do give you one! You would have my readership! Cheers!

- Bilbo Baggins

243. RJB says:

Gomer on 990 right now, hilarious!

- Bilbo Baggins

244. Rudy says:

So Gill is skating? That’s good.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

Gomez on 990 with Stubbs, Boone and Hickey. I will do the live blogging, Boone is busy.

Gomez clearly needed a day off. Poor dear.

Gomez says Pat Burnes dispisis afternoon games and Gomez hates morning skates.

248. Rudy says:

I wonder if any of the players do live out in the West Island. What a brutal drive that would be everyday, mind you nothing compared to DC these days!!

249. MTLForever says:

i only made one trade, gomez and 4th pick for chris stewart.