Subban paired with Bouillon at practice

P.K. Subban skated for the first time with his teammates in practice Friday morning in Brossard. Subban and backup goalie Peter Budaj were on the ice 35 minutes before the scheduled 11 a.m. practice.

Subban was paired with Francis Bouillon at practice, while the other defence pairings were Andrei Markov with Alexei Emelin and Josh Gorges with Raphael Diaz. Yannick Weber and Tomas Kaberle looked like the odd men out on defence for Saturday’s game against the Buffalo Sabres at the Bell Centre (2 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN 690 Radio). Subban also practised on the second power-play unit with Bouillon.

Also on the ice was Max Pacioretty, who underwent an emergency appendectomy last Saturday night and has been cleared for practice. Pacioretty was not wearing a non-contact jersey and looks like he’s ahead of the team’s original prognosis putting him out of the lineup for 3-4 weeks.

Pacioretty did every drill with his teammates during the 70-minute practice.

Pacioretty’s wife, Katia, told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs on Thursday that her husband’s healing powers are a “sick joke.”

Tweeted Stubbs: “I’m not sure that she was kidding.”

After practice, Pacioretty told reporters the doctors said if he takes care of himself “I might be able to come back a little early and I’m doing everything possible to make that a reality.”

“I was feeling those wind sprints, too,” Pacioretty said.

“And that’s I think why I want to get on the ice as soon as possible.  And (the) doctors kind of put it in my hands, saying I can’t really make it worse. So I guess that’s the competitive nature for me to get out there and push it as much as I can so when I’m playing I’m going to be ready.”

“It’s so hard to tell, I don’t know,” Pacioretty said when asked by a reporter when he was looking to return to the line-up.

“Like I said everything is in my hands. Maybe they shouldn’t have done that because if it were my choice I’d play tomorrow. But hopefully I can hold it together here for a little bit longer and start playing.”

Pacioretty missed practice last Saturday morning for flu-like symptoms.  Early that evening he underwent the appendectomy.

“We thought it was a muscular problem at first,” Pacioretty said. “And then I got a huge fever and that’s when they kind of realized, they put two and two together and ended up getting the CT Scan and they noticed (the appendix) was inflamed,” he said.

“I was lucky the doctors and the trainers jumped on it really quick. They got it out pretty quick and I think that’s why I’m feeling so good right now,” Pacioretty said.

Subban said he’s been extremely anxious for a long time to get back on the ice. “I was talking to (teammate Brandon Prust) today about how good I felt out there and just to be back on the ice.”

“I think that we’ve got a great opportunity this year,” Subban added.

“It’s a shortened season. It’s anybody season to really go out and make the best of it. It’s a sprint. It’s not a marathon. So the quicker I can get back on the ice and feeling good and being a part of the team, the better off I’m going to be.”

Coach Michel Therrien wouldn’t say whether Subban will play this weekend.

“He looks good. There’s a difference (between) being in shape and game shape,” Therrien said.

“We’ll sit down this afternoon and we’ll sit down again tomorrow and make our decision,” Therrien said.

Goaltender Carey Price will be net for Saturday’s game.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

1. lavie says:

Honestly, I think MT and the room have done something too much on Subban. The distraction is not from Subban, but it will come from how and what MT and team treats Subban.

2. Don Carnage says:

The triple low five gone, naw there is nothing to the PK story nothing at all, lets drink some kool aid slurp slurp…

3. Chrisadiens says:

Edit: Not happy about being forced this mobile version on my phone. I have to scroll through every comment to get to the new comments and its as bland as a newspaper. Also replying comments just run down like a list. Really disappointing. :(

4. kmachabs27 says:

anybody know how i can watch 24CH in english? is an episode even out yet?

5. Luke says:

No seriously, guys & gals, Malkin hit ssome guy int he head with his stick…

6. caladin says:

What baffles me is why, if MT intends to teach character to the kids did white not spend any time benched after his brutal penalty in Ottawa? This feels like MT has it in for PK and I don’t like it.

• Bripro says:

White sat out the 3rd period, and we don’t know whether he’ll sit this weekend.
      You don’t know if MT is begrudging any of the players, including PK.

• Kooch7800 says:

he took away the low 5 from price and Subban and really it isn’t significant. he is trying to get the team to think team first. I don’t have a problem with that. A solid team plays better together. See Ottawa or the Rangers of last year as examples
      “Keep your stick on the Ice”

7. habstrinifan says:

As the politically incorrect HIO chairman ( shut up with your chairperson nonsense) of HIO’s Committee for Political Correctness I am now banning Pierre Elliot Trudeau’s Gallic Shrug from HIO.

“How far will you go?” you ask!

Just Watch Me!

8. HabFanSince72 says:

“Therrien went on to say: In life you have to be humble. ”

He has much to be humble about.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

9. Morenz7 says:

Maybe it’s time some enterprising sports reporter asked Kristo flat-out whether he wants to be a Montreal Canadien.

10. The Jackal says:

I have faith MT, but banning the triple low five is so stupid! It shows he is part of the old boys mentality, old white dudes who think there is no room for exuberance. That’s like telling Ovi not to jump into the glass after scoring. What is wrong with the low five?? It just makes me feel like the dinosaurs are still calling the shots in hockey. Just feels like these hockey conservatives are holding the game back, keeping fighting in the game, but frowning at enthusiastic young stars. The fuuuu?

• Marcusman says:

After every win it seem forced…to pre planned. and it was only between #76 and #31…

Therrien is the one who started the stick salute after wins…so he’s keeping his team thing going. It’s all good. Our old coach didn;t even look like he wanted to be there.

• Loonie says:

So the stick raising at centre ice(something almost every team does now) is less forced than a defenseman and goalie low fiving?

And what’s the big deal about the low five again?

• habstrinifan says:

It’s pretty much gonna end up being just as maudlin.

• Danno says:

Maybe a group hug at centre ice would be more compatible with Therien’s team-centric approach to victory celebrations.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

11. Mattyleg says:

I’d just like to point out that Brandon Prust wins for Hottest Wife.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. HABSsince92 says:

Kind of disappointed on no more triple low fives as I was at the first game that Price and Subban started doing it. Oh well, if they keep on winning I’m fine with it.

____________________________________________________

PK please sign.

So am I the only person that noticed Carey Price was involved in the triple low 5, or why is it this is pointed at PK only? Really don’t follow how everyone views this as crapping on PK and crapping on him alone.

14. commandant says:

My take on the banned, triple low 5

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

I like what MT did, that’s my take on it.

• Bripro says:

Ben. I’m convinced that MT’s comments regarding “a better person” were a case of a francophone literally translating.
      In french, his comments were more along the lines of helping PK mature.
      There’s a difference.
      I know what he said, just as we all do.
      But I also think I know what he meant.
      And it’s no big deal.

15. The Dude says:

Last night I stumbled on Tie Domi’s beat down of Lucic…..IT WAS f’N GREAT.

16. Greg says:

The triple-low-five is banned? Geez… just let PK be PK. Therrien may not like the triple-low-five, but banning any kind of “five” is a little extreme, no? No one puts PK in a corner…

17. commandant says:

My take on the Banned “Triple Low 5″ celebration.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habilis says:

Shhhhh! Pacioretty doesn’t want to be known by his codename anymore, he’s trying to blend into society now as best he can. ;)

• Chuck says:

Doing wind sprints less than a week after abdominal surgery. Holy hell…

___________________________________________________

18. shiram says:

Triple low five was getting old and it was thing between only 2 players, making them stay on the ice longer than the rest of the team.
    I don’t think Price will mind, but it seems like another blow towards Subban. He’ll have to fit into a new mold.
    Overall it’s not a big thing, and I prefer spontaneous celebrations.

19. Cal says:

Anyone else having this site look like a mobile ap, and a bad one at that?

20. Bripro says:

The image of Subban in this thread was taken by a friend of mine, Al McKinnis. He’s one of a talented group of photographers for the Gazette.
    His daughters and my daughter hung together until he moved into the city.
    I’M SO JEALOUS!!!
    You guys should see some of the venues he’s “forced” to attend.
    Rock concerts, many Habs, Als and Impact games.
    The Jazz festival, the Comedy festival, the Beer festival.
    He’s a great guy and he deserves it. I just wish it was my turn.

21. Danno says:

No more triple-low-five victory celebrations for Price and PK.

Michel Therien doesn’t want celebrations between individuals. Only team celebrations.

Do as I say. Not as I do.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

22. rhino514 says:

Collberg, Gallagher, and Leblanc all have promising careers on RW.
    I know this will not be a popular comment, but if Cole slows down this year and someone is willing to really overpay at the deadline (provided it´s clear we will not contend for the Cup) I would be very tempted. I like Cole but I think his contract will hurt in year four and probably next year too.
    I´ve never been a proponent of “rebuilding” or “tanking” but losing Cole won´t hurt us that much; we will have gotten the best two years out of his contract.
    But again, only if someone overpays…

• HardHabits says:

I´ve never been a proponent of “rebuilding” or “tanking”

So you’re a proponent of being a 15th place team forever?

Thomas Jefferson once said: Periodic revolution, “at least once every 20 years,” was “a medicine necessary for the sound health of government.”

Tanking is like Revolution.

HardHabits says: Periodic Tanking™, “at least once every 20 years,” is “a medicine necessary for the sound health of the Habs.”

However, rebuilding is not even Tanking™ and is hardly a dirty word. One need only look at the Leafs to see how not to put together a team, a vicious circle of mediocrity that Habs fans have been forced to endure for almost 2 decades. Since last the Habs won the Cup they have averaged 16th place over-all. That is unacceptable. Tanking every 20 years is completely acceptable. Habs wouldn’t have Galchenyuk otherwise.

• rhino514 says:

Galchenyuk is a great example of why you don´t have to tank. You end up having a disastrous year every once in a while just through pure bad luck, and you get the occasional top draft pick anyway.
        I firmly believe that a good organization doesn´t need to tank and is one that can grow good young players regardless of where they finish in the standings.
        Having said that, I think you can make one or two moves at the trade deadline depending on where you are in the standings in a given year. The key is moderation. You don´t unload more than one good player, and if you add a quality player at the deadline, this should be done infrequently and the future cost shouldn´t be too bad.
        BTW it´s not just draft picks and prospects that you should be wary of losing; picking up Kaberle seriously handcuffed the team for two years making it harder to sign a quality player for comparable salary. The sad thing is it didn´t help the team make the playoffs anyway…

• HardHabits says:

I think you’re a bit naive. There are many ways to build a team and all of them should be employed:
          1) draft high
          2) draft often
          3) draft well in later rounds
          4) trades (preferably veterans for picks) also trading becomes easier when a team actually has a stable of good players to deal with
          5) UFA signings
          6) development and coaching

The Habs finally have most of these bases covered.

Take an example like Boston which didn’t have to tank. Toronto did that for them, however it was a #5 pick that got translated into Seguin and Hamilton. There is nothing wrong with a team realizing that it isn’t in the play-offs and is rebuilding. It is not accepting that reality and acting as if it is a contender and then those making moves (like acquiring Kaberle) that hurt the team that is much worse than one season in the cellar.

• B says:

Kristo is a right winger too. I hope he signs with the Habs rather than going free agent ala Justin Schultz.

–Go Habs Go!–

23. Marc10 says:

I think banning the triple low 5 was a bit much, but I get why they want to present a more unified and humble front.

The team must come before the individual, but I hope they don’t ostracize or bully PK into submission.

He is a young kid… If they are serious about this being a team, they’re going to have to accept some individuality.

• jedimyrmidon says:

In a strange way, so many changes seem to gravitate around Subban that I hope the team doesn’t become distracted trying to compensate/play mind games for Subban’s perceived non-team-friendliness. They’re there to play hockey, not to be part of some social conditioning experiment!

And frankly, PK’s attitude seems to stem from being exuberant rather than overly intense, arrogant, aggressive or hot-headed like so many athletes in sports (less so in hockey). That’s a big difference in my opinion.

• Habfan17 says:

I’d rather talk hockey and the fact that the Habs are not cycling in the corners like they did with Martin’s system. I found that about as much fun to watch as a hamster running on his wheel!!
      and about as useful!!!!

Habfan17

24. sirs81 says:

I like the direction this team is taking and how far they have come in such a short time. At least now we can make some noise :D Go Habs Go.

25. Phil C says:

It will be very interesting to see when Thornton is allowed back into the line up. He was clearly concussed, so denial will not work in this case. Even 10 days would be quick IMO.

Junior Seau’s family is now suing the NFL for not protecting its players. The outcome of these NFL lawsuits could have an effect on the NHL as well. To me, the NHL expects these guys to fight, therefore they have liability in the management of their injuries. It would not surprise me in the future if guys like Thornton own the NHL by the time the lawyers are done with them.

• bwoar says:

I don’t wish an injury on anyone. But for players like Thornton, who earn their entire living with their mitts: live by the sword, die by the sword. I don’t see this in any way comparable to NFL players. (Not saying you compared them, Phil, just noting that there’s a important distinction.)

“thoroughbred”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Actually it is worse than the NFL. In football head injuries are an accidental unintended occurrence.

In hockey its a selling point.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Phil C says:

I agree that Thornton consented to being punched in the head and therefore is personally accountable. That’s his choice.

I just think the NHL and the teams should be more involved in when these guys get back on the ice. The Habs sent Halpern back on the ice after the Ference cheapshot. The Sens let Alfredsson back on the ice a few days after he was concussed against the Rangers in the playoffs(the game in which he lost it on the bench).

If the league is going to allow bare-knuckle fighting and hitting at high velocities, then they need to manage the injuries better or change the rules. If you are concussed, there should be a minimum time away from the game enforced by the league.

26. The Cat says:

Im not saying its deserved or undeserved but this is more proof that the habs are dicking PK around.

27. Adidess says:

Banning the triple low five or whatever it’s called — You could see that one coming from 100 miles. Therrien indicated he didn’t like it while on L’Antichambre last year and he had plenty of company on that panel. I am not sure I care all that much.

I am kinda curious though why so many people can’t just be indifferent about things like these. When someone says ‘man, I Hate the triple low five, Hate it’. Do you ask yourself why? Because sometimes things annoy you because who you are and the way you see the world, not because these things are inherently bad.

I don’t understand why sports fans who sit down in front of their TV, looking to be entertained by their favorite team and players, can be so uptight about things so inconsequential (how players celebrate a goal, whether they smile or look serious etc).

They’re also something else at play here. I don’t remember anybody ever getting on Markov’s case this way because he doesn’t speak or smile. I believe Markov never said one word in Mtl for the first 3 years he was here (exaggerating obviously), but nobody asked him to change who he is. Just Markov being Markov. Why is PK’s ‘effervescence’ (eh, JF?) something we can’t live with, while Markov aloofness has always been celebrated.

If we can ask ourselves these questions and find a reasonable answer, then maybe we’re being fair by going so heavy on PK for his personality.

• The Cat says:

Post of the day!

• HabFab says:

Did you see the video on HabsTV in which the players are to imitate another player? Cole and Gorges do Markov.

• bwoar says:

Terrific post. Just don’t hold your breath waiting for that ‘reasonable answer’ in your last paragraph to be found.

“thoroughbred”

• jedimyrmidon says:

I agree. I personally don’t understand how ‘hockey culture’ would frown upon things like the triple low-five. It’s harmless and I don’t see how it disrespects the team, the fans or the other team. A little personality never hurt, and serves to separate one team from another (stick salute at center ice? maybe at the end of the season). But I guess because that personality has come from none other than Subban, it should be eliminated so as to keep his personality in check.

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

Fantastic post. I agree totally. Whereas last year i found the low fives causing me to roll my eyes probably had to do with the fact we were a sucky team. If we were in first place instead of muttering “pfft,big deal” i would have been dancing around the living room yelling “ya low fives baby!”.

• JF says:

I can live perfectly well with P.K.’s effervescence. It’s just that it does seem to bother some of his teammates a little, unless all the hints of negative reactions we’ve heard, not just recently but over the last two years, are pure media fabrication. I’m not suggesting P.K. change who he is or that his teammates should not accept who he is, just that he not go out of his way to draw attention to himself. The triple low five does draw attention to him; it’s also a celebration between him and Price rather than a team celebration.

28. Sportfan says:

So wait Blunden gets sent down instead putting White in the press box? haha Wow White got lucky Blunden not so much, I like the Boullion Subban Pairing its another Vet and young player pairing which PK will probably learn from.

29. HabFab says:

CanadiensMTL – Habs assign Michael Blunden to the Hamilton Bulldogs.

30. MikeHabs says:

No one should be surprised that Pacioretty took on the full practice today while not even wearing a no-contact jersey. The guy is a beast and with the sending down of Blunden back to the AHL, have to think he will be ready soon. However, there is still the case of Nokelainen, no idea how far he is from coming back.

All signs from practice seemed to indicate Subban would be playing but Therrien would not confirm. Kind of odd, Subban in any shape would probably be better than Kaberle.

In other news, Therrien bans the triple low 5. A lot of fans are unhappy and I am one of them. I see nothing wrong with it, are we trying to make everyone boring? He wants a humble salute to the fans, that is fine but what about doing that and then Carey and PK doing the TL5 before leaving the ice? I want to win as much as the next person but at the same time, I don’t want my team to be boring either. As Hal Gill once said, let PK be PK.

Habs Fights this season: http://allaboutthehabs.ca/?p=279
    twitter: @Mike_Habs

31. Habilis says:

Blunden sent down as per Renaud Lavoie. Habs want him in game shape.

I guess that means no changes to the forwards for tomorrow. I hope White has had his brain cramp for the season.

32. HabFab says:

Re the conversation earlier about John Scott and his fight record. Here is one against Alex Henry ex Captain of the Dogs that he didn’t win in the AHL;

The negative thing about Scott is that his skill level as a player is so low that he can only be put on the ice to fight.

33. Marc10 says:

I’m fine with the Scott-Thornton fight. I have zero sympathy for a guy who helps his pals go out an injure people. Thornton enables people like Lucy, Marchand, Campbell, Ference and Chara (although the latter doesn’t really need any help…)

Every dog has his day.

34. frontenac1 says:

The only 2 ways to take down a guy like Scott is to land a shot right on the button and bust his nose so his eyes water up(like Jonahan did to Butch Jr.) Or land a vicious body shot to the ribs like Orr did.

35. habstrinifan says:

Banning the Low-5. Personally I agree.. because it became old. I love the spontaneity which first gave birth to it. I also loved the Subban-Price one time chest bump caus eit was funny. But I agree with it. So while Therrien doesn’t need it, he has my back on this one.

However Habs management have to be careful. They have implicitly given ‘moral power’ to certain players in the room. This started with Gomez and his on ice P.K snub. And in my opinion continues with the remarks by some players especially when compared to those same players remarks on other players (like Gomez).

Anyone who has played team sport knows the dangers of this. We already saw it with JM and Camallieri saga. Habs have muddled through several years now where decorum and goodliness have trumped performance!

Ban the maudlin and plannned celebratory. But please please allow the on ice personality that gets me outta my seat.

+1 Trin! Hey you asked me a question on previous thread. I think I can understand why MT has picked Cube to be PK’s linemate, and I think it is a good call at this stage. CHeers Bud!

36. Loonie says:

Fearless prediction for this season:

At one point a Bruin will try to rip Alexei Emelin’s cage off which will ignite never before seen anger from Brandon Prust and Ryan White.

Chaos will follow.

37. Phil C says:

I would like more afternoon games so that I can bring the kids. By the time you get out of the rink and drive home, bedtime is too late if we go to an evening game. And it’s just wrong to leave a game early. Even a 5pm or 6pm start would work better.

38. Sportfan says:

Looking at the poll would you like more afternoon games on weekends? I say not at all I’ve been to a few before I am so exhausted after games usually its a lot worse in the afternoon cause I feel like I am to tired to do anything after haha

• Mattyleg says:

There’s nothing worse than stumbling around downtown drunk in the middle of the afternoon while people are still shopping with their kids.

I blame the NHL for making me feel seedy.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

39. eastcoasthabsfan says:

Here’s a story re: banning of the triple low 5.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Dumb.

Same as hemming and hawing on whether Subban will play.

It’s just Therrien showing everyone who’s boss.

Hey Therrien: PK and Carey will be carrying this team long after your 18-36 months of fame have expired.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with the ban. I don’t agree with the totally apparent fawning they are doing the other way.. like going to centre ice after. Just as maudlin.

I would love someone from the team, especially the captain or coach or GM to now stand up and say ENOUGH of the ‘moralising equivocation’ from certain players. You either dont answer or answer in a straightforward ‘team member’ manner even if it is cliche.

Even the Subban haters MUST admit that Subban has at least appeared to be doing his best (even if cliched). The rest of the team needs to.

• Danno says:

The ban against triple-low-fives is becoming a bigger distraction than the celebration itself. Not sure if was is a wise move on Michel Therien’s part to make a public statement about it.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

40. Luke says:

John Scott:
    “I was asking our trainers how he’s doing. You never want to hurt somebody,…” Scott told masslive.com after the game

If you never want to hurt someone why do you make a profession of repeatedly punching people in the face?

41. JF says:

Therrien’s reason for banning the triple low five is that he prefers team celebrations. I’m not sure about going so far as to ban it, but it’s a good idea to stop it. It was getting old, and it also draws attention to P.K., something that I think he should avoid for now. It does seem that he rubs some of his teammates the wrong way; toning his effervescence down just a little would help.

42. Danno says:

Behold the amazing healing powers of Mighty Max:

Indestructible. Unstoppable. Invincible

Half human, half salamander.

And all heart.

All hail number 67!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

43. Luke says:

Hey, shouldn’t we mention Malkin slashing a guy in the head?

44. twilighthours says:

Regarding which Bruins to hate the most…

I guess we should hate all of them. But I don’t have any particular venom for Thornton, who has mostly just done his job. I can’t recall an incident where he’s bullied someone smaller or gone berserk on anyone.

And the Campbell incident. Pyatt just got pummeled, nothing to it really. Can’t be mad at a guy for being stronger than another guy.

• Chuck says:

Pyatt got pummeled by a guy who was using a piece of equipment to inflict damage.

___________________________________________________

I know that Campbells’ father is in complete agreement with you Twi”. In fact I think he is such a believer in his son that he sent emails to refs telling them not to call penalties on the angelic boy. :)

45. Loonie says:

Will the real Michel Therrien please stand up!

• Kooch7800 says:

Are you actually starting to like him Loonie…I think you are.

I am impressed with some of his moves so far. The new regime is doing well so far

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Loonie says:

It was sarcastic. He’s beginning to present his real self after some early success.

I’ve been impressed Kooch. And I suspect there is some reasons for the triple 5 being ixnayed, and I don’t mind. There is a complete team bond being preached and coached, so far fine by me. I always had a bit of a funny feeling when I saw the triple 5, and I say that towards both players Carey and PK, seemed a bit to Look at Me.

Like the great Football coach said, After scoring a Touchdown act like you’ve done it before.

• Kooch7800 says:

100% agree with that. Never good idea to give the other team a reason for motivation. The teams seems to be buying into the team concept so far. There are still some major holes on this team but playing together like the Rangers did last year can really go a long way

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

46. wall2bay says:

So no low 5’s, eh! For all those who would say that Subban’s race has nothing to do with the locker room and his “attitude” let this be proof that you’re wrong!!!

The low 5s are common in the NFL and NBA…..you know the “black” dominated sports!!! MT wants his players to have passion but must control the emotions and actions in a way that is typical of the “hockey culture”.

Face it folks…..the landscape and culture of hockey is changing. Not only will more non-white players enter the league but the culture will also change (finally)!

Maybe Subban needs to go live on a Canadian farm for a year and change who he is!

• Mattyleg says:

I always thought the triple 5 was a bit contrived.

And as for your ‘blacks-vs-whites’ talk, gimme a break. The idea that a typical kind of celebration or behaviour is racially-specific is a borderline racist comment in itself.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• junyab says:

wow…that was a pretty racist post

• Steeltown Hab says:

No one wants to go there, and I’m not calling anyone a racist, but subconsciously he is put into this egotistical category by MTLs org. that just isn’t justified based on anything he’s done for the team and/or in the community.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Habfan17 says:

Give it a rest!! This is about making it a team celebration not just drawing attention to himself a la the over the top Yakupov goal celebration. It is one thing to celebrate and be passionate, it is another to draw extra attention to yourself! Why do people think they have to make things into something they are not!!

Habfan17

47. Mattyleg says:

As little as I like the Bruins, and as little time as I have for Scott Thornton, I hate to see someone get a concussion.

This guy has a family, kids, and the rest of his life to lead. Brain trauma isn’t going to help him with any of those things. Although I agree that Thornton is a thug, he has 100 times more talent than Scott, who shouldn’t even be allowed on the ice.

These staged tilts between ‘heavyweights’ have absolutely no bearing on hockey, and should be banned outright. The concept of having your thug beat up my thug because some other player on my team did something untoward to another player on your team is pointless, cro-magnon thinking which acheives absolutely nothing.

Do you think that Brad Marchand will think twice before cheap-shotting someone because he wants to protect Thornton or Lucic or whoever else is going to stand up for him? I don’t think so either.

And for those of you saying that Thornton got what he deserved: Time for a morality check. That’s Bruins’ fans’ talk.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Loonie says:

Morality check?

I’d prefer not to be judged here but really don’t care if I am. I don’t think Thornton pays much mind to the damage he inflicts and intends to inflict on others.

What goes around comes around and he doesn’t deserve your sympathy either.

But I won’t judge you for taking the high road and giving it to him.

• Luke says:

“Do you think that Brad Marchand will think twice before cheap-shotting someone because he wants to protect Thornton or Lucic or whoever else is going to stand up for him?”

Nope. Infact a goon will encourage him to keep on cheap shotting. (Kaleta & Scott).

• Brinkley says:

You know the old story on Thornton……..those who live by the sword, usually die by the sword (so to speak).

If the Bruins and Lucic (remember the tough guy who refused to fight Larocque) would have refrained from running Miller over – maybe the Sabers would not have felt a need to bring in Scott as an enforcer!

GO HABS GO!

• Mattyleg says:

Well then why didn’t Scott fight Lucic?

Either way, this is the equivalent of hiring a hitman to avenge an ill.

Is that legal? Is it morally correct?

Perhaps the Sabres should have thought about the way that they reacted when it happened rather than have a delayed, off-the-target response.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• twilighthours says:

The morality and justice of hockey is unlike anything we can comprehend, Matty.

• Loonie says:

Obviously hiring a hitman isn’t okay Matty.

But I’m not going to feel bad for a guy who goes out of his way to hurt others when he gets hurt.

And I’m not going to feel bad about that.

• HabFanSince72 says:

That autographed picture of Lucic concussing Ryan Miller, sold by the Bruins organization itself, is why you should never feel compassion for any animal that wears the spoked B.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Luke says:

You see Matty,

Now that Scott has concussed Thornton, Lucic has learned not to hit Miller.

Or he learned that someone else will learn that that he shouldn’t hit Miller.

• BJ says:

Matty I agree with your take on staged fights. I was reflecting back on games I saw from the 50’s to the 80’s and there was none of this crap of agreeing at the faceoff “to go”. Its a joke on the sport and WWF like. I remember fights to be a spontaneous reaction or protecting a team mate. I think these types of staged fights evolved from the instigator rule where the guys don’t want to get the extra two.

Matty I commend you for taking the high road on this one. Well done, however, for the record:
      Karma is a B*tch, and I hate the Bruins.

Thornton I don’t even mind so much as a player, but he has indeed chosen to play the role of puncher and someone who uses his head to block punches. This is a unique role and I will never figure out why a person chooses it.

I hope he recovers, and I hope he is smart enough to realize he should hang them up, because the minute he stops fighting he will no longer have a job on the Bruins.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I know, I hate the Booins too.

I’m not trying to win points by ‘taking the high road’ here, although it may look that way.

But I woke up this morning and one of the first things I thought about was Thornton waking up with his family, and how that would be for him.

The ‘enforcer’ role can be a prison for players with that demarcation, as we’ve seen in Chris Nilan’s film. Some people step up to the role (like weird, twisted Tony Twist), and others, like whatsisname who couldn’t sleep the night before in fear, are trapped.

Maybe I’m getting soft (soff, as Therrien would say) in my old age, but maybe also I’m getting a different perspective.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• jedimyrmidon says:

I don’t think anyone truly wishes for players to receive permanent brain damage. HOWEVER, I think people feel little sympathy because the Bruins have no qualms in rolling the dice the other way and risking other players’ careers with their dirty play. They’re routinely willing to gamble other players’ safety with their style of play – it’s ingrained into their hockey culture.

To add insult to injury (literally), they get away with it all as the NHL never really deems it fit to discipline them.

• Habfan17 says:

Then Thornton should not play the way he does, he has given his fair share of dirty hits and what is good for the goose is good for the gander. I don’t like seeing anyone hurt either which is why I think the NHlLshould ban fighting and have much more severe penalties for all dirty hits, not just the ones from behind or to the head. Marchand and his attacks on knees for example. Those can end a career and limit what a father can do with his kids! Obviously not as severe as head trauma, but serious non the less!

Habfan17

48. commandant says:

Therrien has banned the triple low 5.

I guess they want all personality and fun out of the game.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chuck says:

That Lucic thought it was even a good idea to sign that shows where he’s coming from.

___________________________________________________

49. Loonie says:

I’m sure this doesn’t paint me in a particularly nice light but I think that the following Bruins deserve the “Perezhogin” treatment.

Thornton, Campbell, Chara, Ference, Boychuk, Marchand and Paille.

50. Loonie says:

In the last week Brad Marchand has called Jeff Skinner dirty and essentially called Lindy Ruff classless.

Now I don’t really want to get into the Lindy Ruff conversation because he would have done the same thing Julien did.

But Marchad, are you kidding me?

I think somebody should put together a sound bite/highlight reel for Marchand to take a look at.

Pieces of note that could be included.

1. Recchi saying that Pacioretty was milking fractured vertabrae.
    2. Thornton and Ference fighting Spacek and Hamrlik.
    3. Lucic’s check from behind on Spacek.
    4. Lucic’s crosscheck to the face of Dominic Moore at a time when Moore couldn’t see him coming.
    5. Lucic suckerpunching Freddy Meyer.
    6. Chara’s assault on Pacioretty.
    7. Johnny Boychuk kneeing Subban.

I’m sure if I included a comprehensive list the HIO server would crash.

• Whatever says:

Don’t forget Ference’s finger to the fans and Julien explaining that Ference wouldn’t do that and it was a glove malfunction.

• shiram says:

It was Campbell I think that pummeled Pyatt with his fore-arm protector.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I remember a Bruins vs. Columbus game where Tim Thomas chopped Derek Dorsett with his stick as he was standing in front of the net outside of the crease. Then as Dorsett is skating away clutching his hand, Lucic comes and crosschecks him to the ice. I don’t think there were any penalties called.

Marchand also almost killed Sami Salo by crouching down as Salo was coming in for a check. Then Marchand claims that he was ‘defending’ himself.

Boychuk also fractured some of Mason Raymond’s vertebrae.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Claude Julien putting his goons on the ice with a minute to play in a 5-1 game.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Can play this game all day, Marchand’s blindside elbow on Umberger while he was down on one knee at center ice has to be up there.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• ooder says:

Marchand low bridging Emelin at the end of the period when the puck was nowhere near those two

• Bash says:

Yep! the bottom lone is that these guys who have time and again crossed the line deserve no respect at all. And Thornton is hardly to be praised because he took on Scott who was bigger. Give me a break!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• Mr. Biter says:

And the big bad bruins only took four 2 minute minors all night. Were fearfull of more retribution if they tried something. Nice try at the end of the game but Ruff foiled them.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

51. habstrinifan says:

More news coming out re Thornton. Sounds serious. Not good!

I am having some second thoughts. I really felt it was tme someone made the Bruins take notice that they can’t bully other teams. But I hate to see concussions/injuries from fights.

Solution: League has to call goonery better.

52. BJ says:

Sorry for the partial repost. If anyone can answer this:

53. Psycho29 says:

Prust and White atop the league….

54. Psycho29 says:

Prust and White atop the league! !

So when was the last time the Habs had two players ranked 1 and 2 in league penalty minutes?????

55. 69HABS says:

Just got back from vacation where I had no internet.

WTF is up with MT? Would you not put your best goaltender in net against the top team in your conference cause you need every point that you can get to make the playoffs?

DUH, Budaji (whatever) should have been in net againt the Jets & Price against the Sens …..

• BJ says:

I think there is a marketing consideration. Price plays at home and Budaj a few games on the road.

• lavie says:

Agree with you! I mentioned this previously, which is a noticeable mistake MT 2.0 has made so far.

• stevieboy says:

Maybe you were on vacation when they played, 69, Budaj played very well, loss was despite him, not due to him.

Stevie

• Luke says:

It allowed Price three days rest before a back to back weekend followed by games vs BOS and Buffalo the next week.

You have to play Budaj at some point. It wasn’t a bad call. It was just a call. And it would have been brilliant if the Habs as a whole had actually played well and White kept his yap shut.

• GrimJim says:

I’m not so sure about that. If you need the points, putting your All-Star goalie in against the weaker team greatly increases the odds of winning that game; it’s more of a knock-out blow. With Budaj against the Jets and Price against the Sens the Habs are like 50-50 odds in each game. With Price-Jets and Budaj-Sens, the odds are more like 80-20 and 30-70 (IMO)

56. HabFanSince72 says:

According to hockeyfights.com John Scott has won every one of his NHL fights. Not even a draw.

Ouch.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

57. Psycho29 says:

Prust and White atop the league!

58. Bash says:

Thornton either risks permanent damage from here on in or changes his game…A waddler with decent positioning who cant’t fight.

The Boston game plan just changed a little.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

59. Montreal6727 says:

I wonder if Dr. Recchi checked Patches out? Or his he just faking the appendectomy?

60. Luke says:

Re: John Scott & Why didn’t Chara and the others go after him?

Because you don’t waste Chara on John Scott. You don’t waste a Norris trophy winner who plays 28minutes/game and is your best player on a two-minute goon. You don’t waste Lucic (a 30goal, 20minute) on him either, or anyone else who takes a regular shift.

I wouldn’t have let Thornton fight him. He’s not in Scott’s league. Thornton isn’t a heavywieght. He’s tough and has no fear, but gave up 5inches and close to 50lbs. (Where’s the honour Scott?). Thornton also contributes to the team. They should have have told Thornton, and the rest of the Bruins to leave him alone.

Don’t let a 2minute player dictate anything your regulars do.

• commandant says:

The Bruins were still playing their usual games at the end of the game, trying to get one of their goons to fight Pominville.

Ruff called a time out and got Scott back on the ice.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bash says:

So you think Lucic would not go after Prust again…significant size advantage! Out of honour? We have watched this Boston team beat up on small players.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• Luke says:

My point wasn’t about Lucic and Prust it was about anyone who is semi decent and Scott… and the “code” of goons fighting out of their weight class.

So there are two points to make:
        Lucic won’t if the game is close. He will try to goad a player into something.
        Prust is more useful to the Habs than Scott is. The exchange or Prust for Lucic is still in Montreal’s favour, but not to the extent that Scott for Lucic is for the Sabres.

However, as the story Commandant linked kind of shows the role of these Heavyweights… to neutralize each other. They are a sort of nuclear deterrent. Get rid of them both and you wouldn’t notice.

In Fact, I’ll add this theory of mine:

Goons (Scott) don’t really protect and create space for stars. The people they protect and enable are the Rats. Kaleta… He plays on a line with Scott, runs around like an ass, cheap shots, suckers and hides all game because Scott is out there with him.

Tough guys who can play… Prust, Ott, Thornton, protect and create room for skilled players, because hey actually take a regular shift and can play WITH the stars.

It’s funny that McDermid only got on the ice (I assume) at the same time as Scott with 14seconds left in the game. Why didn’t that match up happen earlier? If it is important to the game, and the teams, I would imagine they would have easily found an opportunity to line them up.

• commandant says:

Lucic and Prust are 1-1 in career fights.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• habstrinifan says:

When I think rationally and with respect for the removal of unnecessary goonery in sports I totally agree with you.

But when I lok at the history of teams in the NHL. Teams like Philadelphia of the past and Bruins of the past and their most recent Stanley Cup edition I react emotionally and irrationally.

Do you recall the Bruins against Vancouver. What do you think were the unspoken effects on each team. This may be not what the league wants but it was what the Sabres needed… and maybe the Bruins too to stop them from further arrogating the bully pulpit in the division if not the league.

• Luke says:

It’s an issue with the league. As soon as they let the roster get to 23players and 18 skaters; they let non-essential players get into the mix. I think an 11forward, 5Dman roster would eliminate the useless goon.
        I was hoping the increase in Powerplays and shootout would see an end to a useless plug and allow highskilled, poor defensive, smaller PP specialists take that spot.

• Bash says:

Mcdermid was on the ice to make sure everyone shook hands right?

When Chara almost decapitated Pac that was an act of honour I assume. And he would’t engage Laraque because that would be a “waste.” Of course he is bigger than George so maybe your interpretation is totally pucked up.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• Luke says:

This has nothing to do with Chara and Pac. Totally different and unrelated situations.

And yes, you are right. Chara wouldn’t engage George because why would he? He (and Lucic) will only do this stuff on their terms. They are too good and too valuable to be sitting 5minutes to accomodate a 2minute goon.

• BJ says:

Where was the honour from Chara on Pacioretty. Or the Bruins jumping Spacek and Hamrlik a few years ago? No pity from me for that team. Having said that I hope Thornton is OK and comes back as he is a top notch team player.

• Luke says:

Has nothing to do with Chara on Pac.
        Referring to the honour amongst fighters poop they always talk about.
        It was also sarcastic.
        It also got quite the reaction. Sadly it wasn’t the point of my comment.

• Habfan17 says:

You want honour, you need to play with homour. I have seen Lucic repeatedly go after rookies and other non-fighters, most of the time when they weren’t expecting anything and with his gloves still on!

He is one of the biggest cowards who has no code of honour. When an actual enforcer challenges him, he declines. Marchand is always throwing very dirty hits and the claiming it is because of his size as does Chiarelli. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I wayched Lucic punch Hedman, right in the face with his glove on, when everyone was skating away at the end of a period. That was very honourable and a hockey play….not!! He did run Miller on purpose and if Scott gets him, he richly deserves it and this is from a fan who thinks the fighting is stupid. As long as the league won’t do anything, someone has to stop the Luicic’s and Marchands of the NHL from ruining someone’s career with dirty, cheap shots!

Habfan17

• Luke says:

The Honour statement wasn’t the point. It was sarcastic. It was there to illustrate that for all the poop these goons talk about having honour and a code, they don’t.
        Scott fought a guy, who was all but an unwilling partner, who was well out of his weight class. Light Heavyweight vs Super Heavyweight, in UFC wieght classes.

61. Habhopeful says:

Does anyone know when the next new 24CH episode comes out?

62. Habilis says:

Apparently the doctors at the MGH had alot of trouble operating on Patches.

“Making the initial incision was very difficult because Max kept elbowing us when we got close, even though he was unconscious” said the surgeon. “When he woke up post-op, he kept asking what the score was and when he was going back in. I tried to explain the situation to him but he just growled, punched me in the face, grabbed his IV pole and started using it to fire pill bottles through the doorway.”

63. lavie says:

Watching the fight on Youtube, Thorton’s concussion is for real. Wish it was Lucic.

64. twilighthours says:

Looks like Subban is getting back in. Thank you, MT.

65. jedimyrmidon says:

Unbelievable how fast Pacioretty recovers.

66. BJ says:

Does anyone know if there is anyone in the NHL or minors that could stand up to Scott. I saw the fight with Orr recently and Orr did put down Scott with a rib punch. I assume Orr watched the replay of the Thornton fight, I wonder how much he’s looking forward to a rematch?

67. Say Ash says:

Sounds like Katia needs to lighten up a little.

68. ed lopaz says:

sorry re-posted from previous thread:

under the category of: Habs know Best?

Summer of 2009, Habs sign Jaro Spacek as a free agent, coming off his best year, Spacek had put up 45 points for the Sabres, many of which had come on the power play as a SHOOTER.

Spacek arrives in Montreal, and for all intents and purposes never sees any power play times.

Now we have the sudden transformation of Francis Bouillon into a power play defenceman. I think we could go back to 1995, playing for Granby in the Q, to find the last time Cube was given any consistent power play duty. Of course Therrien was his coach in 1995, so this seems to make perfect sense.

I have a crazy, out of this world, off the charts recommendation for the Habs’ brass.

Why not try Emelin for a few games on the power play? Emelin’s last season in the KHL he scored 11 goals and added 15 assists for 26 points in 52 games, many of which were on the power play.

If we gave Emelin 5 straight games there I have a feeling he would re-gain his power play touch and shot which accounted for many of those 11 goals.

Emelin has offensive potential. We should explore this option.

69. BJ says:

I wonder if Pacioretty is a time traveller with some sort of medical Star Trek device?

70. BJ says:

Thornton out 10 days + with concussion, courtesy of John Scott AK47 rights.

• Luke says:

I don’t think Thornton tried to even throw a punch. He just held on knowing he was going to take shots.
      Scott’s a joke and the role of a fighter is stupid. Thornton did what was expected… engage the useless goon. Good for him. Now he has a brain injury… I hope it was worth it.

Sad that the talking point is a goon & not Vanek’s 5 point night.

• Whatever says:

I’m sure it was mutally agreed at the faceoff, but Thornton went after Scott. Thornton was the aggressor for about 2 seconds. I know Thornton plays a somewhat regular shift and can put up a couple of points, but there is only one reason Shawn Thornton is in the NHL and it’s the same reason Scott is.

• Luke says:

I kind of agree. It was definietly agreed upon, but I think ST tried to get the jump because he knew he had no chance. it was coming whether or not he wanted it to.

I don’t equte JS and ST’s values though. Thornton – 10min/game, some PK, tough, robust, good for 20ish points. JS – 2mins.

If they flat out banned fighting, JS is gone in a second. ST would probably get a shot to see if he could still fit in.

And yes, I didn’t call ST dirty. He can be, yes. But to me guys like Kaleta and Marchand are truly dirty.

Interesting tidbit about double Stanley Cup winner Shawn Thornton: Leafs draft pick.

71. lazman says:

Exactly the right D pairings.

72. habstrinifan says:

Godamn it! You are supposed to b perfect! I am!

73. jedimyrmidon says:

Everyone’s true colours will now shine!

74. HabFab says:

I’m in deep deep doggie do….

75. Danno says:

No. Michel Therien is responsible. You have to earn your edit privileges :-)

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

76. HABSsince92 says:

Who gives a crap?

Apparently a lot of people on this site as it has dominated the comments for the last little bit.

What are you 12?

I’m 27

______________________________________________________

PK please sign.

77. Mattyleg says:

Ignore, HS92.
    Sounds like a trollbot.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

78. HABSsince92 says:

No I’ve been on this site since 2009 so I’m not just trolling or spamming but if someone is going to attack my a simple post I’m going to say something.

______________________________________________________
    PK please sign.

79. jedimyrmidon says:

I think Matty was saying that you (HS92) should ignore jcc10 who sounds like a trollbot.

80. HABSsince92 says:

Ah ok I think I read that wrong lol, thanks Jedimyrmidon.

______________________________________________________
    PK please sign.

81. Luke says:

Armstrong kills penalties.

82. Habfan17 says:

It was a bit immature!

Habfan17

83. The Cat says:

Worse than that is the Ole Ole chant by the fans. Thats the most annoying thing by a mile, well annoying to anyone whose ever seen a soccer match, those that havent think its a hab innovation.

84. bwoar says:

Yes it’s satire, and yes, it crosses the line. Say on, brother!

“thoroughbred”

85. Habfan17 says:

Especially when they start it too early and it inspires the other team to push harder!

Habfan17

86. Da Hema says:

Agreed Cat! Bench the fans!!!!!

87. Sportfan says:

I don’t mine the OLE OLE chant but I hate when they start it ealry it pisses me off, sometimes it even fuels the opposing team to score and shut us up. Its also really stupid to sing it when we are losing -_-

88. powdered toastmann says:

I’ll go one further and label it a prime source of embarrassment. Who are these idiots?

89. Trisomy 21 says:

Start too early? Have you even seen a Habs game? what do you think of them singing before the game starts? It’s not a goddamn victory chant. Why have I heard it at concerts? not because the Habs are winning.

90. Habsrule1 says:

People get the wrong impression of the Ole chant. It’s not the goodbye song. It’s actually meant to get the Habs going, not to insinuate the game is over.

Go Habs Go!!

91. Habfan17 says:

Very true…lol

Habfan17

92. The Cat says:

Its a south american thing ffs. Cant we be original?

93. Habsrule1 says:

Cat, don’t worry. I heard from a very non-reliable source that the Ole song will be banned next, then clapping, then smiling…unless you have eye contact with at least 2 people.

I just hope he doesn’t ban goals altogether.

Go Habs Go!!

94. The Cat says:

Damn straight! Start booting them out of the building, giving them a refund for a first offense, then afterwards -no refunds! lol

95. The Cat says:

Thanks for the clarification Pedro!

96. Sportfan says:

I think its fun to chant when needed but no over do it frankly

97. lavie says:

If they continued like this, what would only be sooner or later.

I would never pay those stupid prices! well maybe not never!

99. Mr. Biter says:

Do you remember much of the game? But your right, never waste good rum.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

100. habstrinifan says:

Are you crazy man? Now I have to look at your posts in a different light. What appeared like inspired genius may just be the loopy thoughts of a befogged mind! LOL!

101. Luke says:

seems like he’s getting plenty of crop these days…

102. bwoar says:

My professional opinion as a horse agrees.

“thoroughbred”

103. Lafleurguy says:

….it’s a species thing…..

“May you live in interesting times.”