Subban paired with Bouillon at practice

P.K. Subban skated for the first time with his teammates in practice Friday morning in Brossard. Subban and backup goalie Peter Budaj were on the ice 35 minutes before the scheduled 11 a.m. practice.

Subban was paired with Francis Bouillon at practice, while the other defence pairings were Andrei Markov with Alexei Emelin and Josh Gorges with Raphael Diaz. Yannick Weber and Tomas Kaberle looked like the odd men out on defence for Saturday’s game against the Buffalo Sabres at the Bell Centre (2 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN 690 Radio). Subban also practised on the second power-play unit with Bouillon.

Also on the ice was Max Pacioretty, who underwent an emergency appendectomy last Saturday night and has been cleared for practice. Pacioretty was not wearing a non-contact jersey and looks like he’s ahead of the team’s original prognosis putting him out of the lineup for 3-4 weeks.

Pacioretty did every drill with his teammates during the 70-minute practice.

Pacioretty’s wife, Katia, told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs on Thursday that her husband’s healing powers are a “sick joke.”

Tweeted Stubbs: “I’m not sure that she was kidding.”

After practice, Pacioretty told reporters the doctors said if he takes care of himself “I might be able to come back a little early and I’m doing everything possible to make that a reality.”

“I was feeling those wind sprints, too,” Pacioretty said.

“And that’s I think why I want to get on the ice as soon as possible.  And (the) doctors kind of put it in my hands, saying I can’t really make it worse. So I guess that’s the competitive nature for me to get out there and push it as much as I can so when I’m playing I’m going to be ready.”

“It’s so hard to tell, I don’t know,” Pacioretty said when asked by a reporter when he was looking to return to the line-up.

“Like I said everything is in my hands. Maybe they shouldn’t have done that because if it were my choice I’d play tomorrow. But hopefully I can hold it together here for a little bit longer and start playing.”

Pacioretty missed practice last Saturday morning for flu-like symptoms.  Early that evening he underwent the appendectomy.

“We thought it was a muscular problem at first,” Pacioretty said. “And then I got a huge fever and that’s when they kind of realized, they put two and two together and ended up getting the CT Scan and they noticed (the appendix) was inflamed,” he said.

“I was lucky the doctors and the trainers jumped on it really quick. They got it out pretty quick and I think that’s why I’m feeling so good right now,” Pacioretty said.

Subban said he’s been extremely anxious for a long time to get back on the ice. “I was talking to (teammate Brandon Prust) today about how good I felt out there and just to be back on the ice.”

“I think that we’ve got a great opportunity this year,” Subban added.

“It’s a shortened season. It’s anybody season to really go out and make the best of it. It’s a sprint. It’s not a marathon. So the quicker I can get back on the ice and feeling good and being a part of the team, the better off I’m going to be.”

Coach Michel Therrien wouldn’t say whether Subban will play this weekend.

“He looks good. There’s a difference (between) being in shape and game shape,” Therrien said.

“We’ll sit down this afternoon and we’ll sit down again tomorrow and make our decision,” Therrien said.

Goaltender Carey Price will be net for Saturday’s game.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

1. gdelageTEST says:

TEST(please ignore)

2. gdelage says:

Test comment (please ignore)

3. frontenac1 says:

So, two months ago ,I bought tickets to this Sunday. Game Sting vs Frontenacs for me and a couple of my buddies. They said”Sarnia ? Why? I said , Yakupov and Galchenyuk.. First and Third draft picks.Chri*t ,was I hearing about it today at the Saloon!Ah ,Fu*kit! Go Niners and Go Habs! Saludos Amigos!

4. This PK stuff is silly, and not worthy of controversy.

Now this is controversial: Alexander Radulov hits his KHL coach. With a stick.

5. Dunboyne Mike says:

The Iggy Shuffle was banned by the NFL.
    A total non-story that grew legs and became a major story.
    The low-five is a non-story.
    (Unless it’s a diversion intended to distract everyone from something else darker going on…)

6. habsfan0 says:

Pacioretty is amazing.

I had an appendectomy when I was 14 years old.
    However, I wasn’t back on the ice skating 6 days later.

• Hobie Hansen says:

You are still tough as nails in my book! I had a collapsed lung and was smoking pot again a few days later :-). I can’t remember how quickly I hit the ice again though, I wonder why ;-).

7. Habfan17 says:

Let’s talk about something more fun!

Let’s say the Habs win the draft lottery and pick first. Would you;
    A) Pick Jones and then trade the 2 second round picks, Eller and Weber to get the 2nd overall pick and take Mackinnon?

B) Pick Jones and trade the 2 second round picks to get the 3rd overall pick and take Drouin?

C) Pick Mackinnon and trade a second round pick and Eller to get Drouin

Or something all togther different?

Habfan17

If any of you had any sense you’d be up in arms over the Harper government’s new policy to create quotas for cutting people off of Employment Insurance. Instead there is an uproar about low five celebration cancellations.

Therrien is the coach. Bergevin is the GM. The team is the Habs. It isn’t the Carey and PK show. The triple low five is like Don Cherry, mildly amusing in the beginning and has grown into a caricature of itself. At least MB and MT have the courage to do what CBC hasn’t the balls to do. Nip the clown act in the bud.

This is about team building. I am all for it.

• Hobie Hansen says:

My fellow HH, I agree with you as I do 95% of the time. Except I respect my elders like Don Cherry, even if they’re crazy and wrong half the time :-). He wasn’t coach of the year for nothing!

• ZepFan2 says:

The idiots voted Harper in, the idiots deserve everything they get!

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• boing007 says:

Most of the idiots that voted Harper in voted for him mainly on single issues. That’s how they got their majority. From where I sit this is the most incompetent federal government that this country has been burdened with for over fifty years. Or more. A bunch of rural yokels trying to impose their narrow views on a majority urban population.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

9. Bill says:

I may not know much about professional hockey, but I do know a lot about managing people, and I’m pretty good at it (if I do say so myself) … and without passing judgment, I’d just like to observe that Therrien’s management of Subban reveals several things.

He clearly believes Subban is a problem, and a major one. If he saw him as a minor problem, we would know nothing about it. Instead, he has taken the fairly serious step of making public statements that question Subban as a team player. Doing that is meant to show (a) who is boss and more importantly (b) that everyone else on the team feels the same way. It’s meant to isolate you and make you shape up immediately, tail between your legs. As a management technique, it can get quick results, but it can also create resentment that will linger.

He’s also done his best to minimize Subban’s importance to the squad. Bergevin helped him out with the hardball contract stuff. And now Therrien’s had him cooling his heels, making no pronouncement on when he can play, showing no real concern for getting the team’s best defenceman in the lineup. Again, this is meant to be an ego-shrinker. Because let’s get real, PK could have played in Ottawa, and we could’ve used him.

You can act like everything that has happened is no big deal, but can you name another situation like this one where a star player on an NHL team was questioned as openly and as directly and publicly by his coach as Subban has been by Therrien? I really can’t. This stuff usually stays in the room. The fact that Therrien put it out there for the world to hear is quite unusual.

Personally, I think he’s making a big deal out of nothing. And the low-five ban kind of clinches it for me. It’s so petty and weird.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Danno says:

Post of the day!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• 4loorplay says:

Trouble in the hen house lol. If you have watched this team on tv you would have noticed that after a win they went to center ice and lifted their sticks. (like the last game of a season) Guess MT has this concept along with the GM and Molson, Think of it this way. with all the distractions that involved PK be it from Media,Fans or PK himself
        This is how they want it done. Nothing wrong with that, Its not the PK show its the TEAM concept.

• 100HABS says:

I do not like the centre ice lifting of sticks. It’s fake. It’s like forcing a kid to say “Thank you” when they don’t necessarily want to.

Let them get off the ice smiling and congratulating one another.

UNLESS it was a team decision to do this. But I think it was imposed by management.

• boing007 says:

That’s right. If PK wants his own show he can create a reality TV series.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

It’s alright. Subban will still be an integral part of this team when people are saying, “Michel qui?”

• Hobie Hansen says:

I personally don’t mind it one bit. Therrien wants to fly under the radar, concentrate on winning and get the job done.

Do we see other players from other teams doing low fives after the game or skating to center ice and banging into each other like a couple clowns?

Instead of practicing celebration moves go and talk with the coach or your teammates about winning games. You think Pat Burns would have put up with that nonsense?

I have no issue with a coach being a hard ass and running a tight ship. I think it’s about time.

Nothing else has worked here for 20 years…

When i was a kid playing baseball I was blowing bubbles at the plate with my big league chew, my pops was coaching. He yelled at the umpire to stop the game, stormed onto the field and told me to spit the gum out of my mouth and concentrate on hitting the damn ball. When I look back, he was correct.

• shiram says:

Subban might bend to Therrien’s rule for now, but this seems like a situation that could escalate.
      People were saying how after a while a team just stops listening to Therrien, this small rule he instilled could be the start of it.

• Hobie Hansen says:

If the situation escalates it’s only because the media and fans in Montreal just love controversy!

• shiram says:

Having a draconian boss for a couple of years, mixed in with jock types with strong personalities can cause the escalation.
          I’ll agree media won’t be helping…

• Hobie Hansen says:

When you mention Subban might bend for now, I think that’s incorrect. I think Subban is going to mature over the next couple season and realize Therrien and Bergevin are slightly smarter than he is. His game will improve as a result too.

• HabsFanInNashville says:

Well said, Bill. I agree; I find this curious. I may add that while this approach may get results, some employees completely go in the opposite direction.

• Da Hema says:

While I agree the Canadiens are somewhat overreacting to celebrations, your interpretation is one that casts this in the worst light possible.

First, unless I am in error, it was not Therrien who publicly revealed the organization would no longer accept the now-infamous “low-five.” It was a player (Price apparently, according to another poster). So criticizing Therrien for making this “public” is inaccurate at best, and a distortion at worst.

Second, Therrien and the organization have been hammering home the importance of team first since Bergevin arrived. The organization did not do this in relation to Subban specifically, and so for Subban and his fans to personalize this seems dubious to me. This organization has had too many prima donnas over the last 20 years — Ribeiro, Theodore, e.g., — for a team that has been so mediocre.

Third, I have always been one of the central supporters of Subban — even when the flavor-of-the-day crowd here screamed to trade him. But for you to call Subban a “star” is problematic. Subban is NOT a “star.” He may become one — and I sure hope he does — but if Subban thinks he’s a better player than he really is, then that speaks poorly about Subban, not the team.

Those are my two cents Bill.

• Danno says:

It’s unclear who was responsible for revealing the new rule first. In the article Price talks about it but so does Therien. This isn’t the first occasion where Therien seems to be schooling PK to become a “better person” via the media. This may backfire on him.
        ________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Habfan17 says:

This is the post of the day!

Habfan17

• ZepFan2 says:

Bill, I couldn’t have said it better.

Agree with Danno, post of the day!

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• B says:

I think you are stretching and reading too much into too little.

I don’t agree that Therrien is severely calling out or questioning Subban publicly let alone your suggestion it is being done to a degree which has never before been seen in the history of hockey. I really don’t see where it is clear that Therrien considers Subban to be a major problem. Most comments I have heard from MT and the team indicate that they are looking forward to having Subban back with the team where he belongs and where he will continue to be a key asset to contributing to the team.

As for sending a message by not playing him against Ottawa, I don’t buy that either. Subban had yet to even practice with the team. They needed to evaluate where his game was at and introduce him to the new way the team plays under its new coach. It doesn’t seem right to think that he should just step back in cold after nine months off without even one practice under his belt, that would not be fair to him or to the team. I have no doubt that he will quickly come up to speed and be given increasing TOI. Trying to make it happen all at once does not seem prudent at all to me and a failure to try that questionable approach hardly seems fodder for suggestions of major problems or messages being sent.

A mountain out of a mole hill IMO.

–Go Habs Go!–

• 100HABS says:

I’m a manager as well and my first thought was also about how they’re pulling him down so much, it may be little overdone. You want to put PK in his place, but that doesn’t mean squashing him and denigrating him. This should have been done quietly IMO.

10. Habilis says:

PK’s already been added to the team photo on display in the dressing room, as per MA Godin.

Nice to see. I guess this “team” stuff works both ways.

• habsfan0 says:

Those photos in the past used to include hardware placed in front of the team such as: Stanley Cup,Prince of Wales Trophy,Conn Smythe Trophy,Vezina Trophy.

Somebody must have photoshopped pic to make them disappear.

11. Hobie Hansen says:

OMG no triple low five? Is Michel Therrien and the Habs organization prejudice against Carey Price now too? Do they have something against Price because he’s half Native?

People must be prejudice against Russians out in Alberta too because Yakupov isn’t allowed to celebrate anymore?

First people were annoyed with Subban, then Yakupov and now Price is involved?

I thought Canada was a great place to live and play hockey?

12. Les Canayens says:

So from now on after each and every win there’ll be an awkward moment when PK approaches Price to congratulate. Kind of like running into your ex.

13. Sean Bonjovi says:

So… Craig Anderson robbed Brandon Prust twice in the 3rd period on Wednesday. Did Prust earn scoring opportunities that other players would not have, or would another player have had the same scoring chances PLUS the skills to bury those chances?

14. habsfan0 says:

So triple low 5 is out.

What if goal scorer wanted to celebrate a la Yakupov or Theo Fleury?
    Is that still ok?

• Da Hema says:

The new Montreal Canadiens’ celebration policy is now available on-line. It clearly specifies that players, after winning games, must (1) lower their heads at a 15 degree downward angle, (2) skate to the bench with heads lowered as per (1), and (3) refrain from any contact with any player — including eye contact. Failure to comply will lead to the most severe punishment applicable by law.

• Les Canayens says:

(4) No horn/goal song shall be played at the Bell Centre as per the new policy, in order to minimize the crowd’s enthusiasm, thus maintaining the modesty and respect of the game.

• Mike Bone says:

No. All fun is now banned. Hockey is a business, and the players are businessmen. Who’d slide on their knees across the boardroom table after closing a big deal? Any Hab who indulges in such shenanigans, including posing after stopping shots in the shootout or pretending he’s an archer after a big goal, will be immediately sanctioned by the corporation.

15. shiram says:

So what happens if Subban and/or Price do a triple low five?
    Does Price get benched with Subban?

16. 69HABS says:

WTF is up with the Mods here?

I call Therrien a D _ _ che & it gets deleted?

17. Luke says:

Hey, Remember last night when Malkin swatted some dude in the head with his stick and no one seemed to notice?

18. Danno says:

What’s up with this “Howdy” thing in the upper right hand corner?

Did we trade the edit feature in exchange for the Howdy thing?

Edit – The edit feature is back :-)

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

19. Da Hema says:

It’s provocative comments like this that keep me coming less and less to this site.

20. bobinsask says:

I don’t think banning the low-five will contribute to team turmoil… quite the opposite. Some of the players probably considered it flaky at best and it puts the onus on PK to become part of the team rather than the focal point of the team.

• Mr. Biter says:

I never gave it much thought. But was better when we won more games than we lost. OLE OLE OLE at start of 3rd period in a one goal is way more stupid.
      Are head butts still allowed?

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• Danno says:

Ole Ole Ole is not necessarily a victory celebration but a way for fans to show the players they are with them

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• jedimyrmidon says:

It’s not necessarily that way… but it sure is interpreted that way everywhere else. I certainly feel like opposing teams pick up the pace when the fans start chanting it.

• powdered toastmann says:

…and to motivate the other team to score the tying goal, eventually resulting in a shoot-out…and we know how that usually ended last year. (and did I mention @ the same time sound ridiculous too?)

• Danno says:

Therien should put his foot down and ban Ole Ole Ole then.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

First they notice you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. – Mohardass Gandhabits

I wont miss the triple low 5. It should have been a triple low 3. Since that was the pick the Habs got as a result of it.

23. habsfan0 says:

While Buffalo hadn’t been playing well of late,they looked formidable against the Bruins. Habs…not so much vs the Senators.

This might not augur very well for le bleu,blanc rouge tomorrow.

• powdered toastmann says:

Agree Curly, and it won’t “ogre” well for one of the Habs either if J. Scott decides to do a repeat of the Thornton thump’n (gotta respect Thornton for hanging in there, and Edwards actually called it (almost) the way it was.)

24. SynysterDiablo says:

The triple low five is corny as hell! This isn’t basketball or football so I’m glad not to have to see that anymore. Act like a professional and carry yourself like one is my opinion.

I think Michel Therrien has done a helluva job so far with the team and they seem to be buying into his system. Turmoil inside the locker room is the only thing that can bring this team down.

25. Da Hema says:

To quote the venerable Benoit Brunet: “aie yie yie!”

Don’t make mountains out of molehills. What is all this talk of Therrien wanting Subban gone? Didn’t the team just sign him to a contract? Do you think coaches aren’t consulted about player signings? If the Canadiens didn’t want Subban to develop and become a fine player with this team, I am reasonably certain he would be with another one by now.

26. montrealtilldeath says:

Forgot to add in my last comment that this public statement on PK and the high fiving which was done supposedly under the umbrella of team building by the coach going public he has now opened the door for more team turmoil.

27. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I worry that this is going to turn into Boudreau’s attempt to reform Ovechkin.

28. JF says:

Apparently it was Price who mentioned to the media that Therrien did not want them to do the triple low-five. So Therrien had to explain. He did not make a public announcement of it, as some have suggested. As for its being a distraction, this site is abuzz with it, but I doubt the players are giving it much thought

• Habfan17 says:

people here are giving it too much thought. Big deal!! This is just like the news media. If there is no crisis to report, they will create one!

Habfan17

• Mustang says:

Hockey-mad Montreal at it’s finest. If there are no hockey related items to talk about, lets look for something insignificant and completely blow it out of proportion.

I posted on the last page that PK might be paired with Boullion, which I think will work out. Its better that Diaz play with Georges and the two Russians play together. Emilin, Diaz and Pk should have a vet as a mentor.
    Kaberle and Weber will sit until one of our D falter or get injured.

Who was practicing in Patches spot with DD and Cole??

30. Da Hema says:

Perhaps we can all agree that if the Montreal Canadiens need to ban anything, selling shite beer at outrageous prices would be a good place to begin.

31. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Remember when Gorges and Carey used to swap helmets?

Bloody Gorges…such an individualist.

32. lavie says:

MT finally decided to ban Bell Center from Ole Ole Ole, and he will help Habs fans become better fans.

33. Say Ash says:

So as to not exclude any teammate, I propose low-fives between all players, on the ice and off, after every single goal. Even Kaberle and Weber in the presser. Cole may initiate one with a ref if he wishes. Everyone happy now?

34. Habfan17 says:

Has anyone even considered that it was because of the other players that Therrien banned it? I don’t know that he made a public spectacle when he did ban it, but it could just be that quietly, the captain went to Therrien and said that the players did not like it. Maybe it was part of the reason there were fights between Subban and his team mates last season. It may be just one of a few things that were addressed with Subban. Maybe there was more to it than just the triple low 5. I personnaly could care less. All I expect and want is for the team to put their full effort to winning games.

Habfan17

• Trisomy 21 says:

LOL teammates fought with Subban because deep down they wanted to take part in the TL5′s. Rich. We’re talking about professional hockey players here. Can you honestly picture them thinking to themselves “I wish I was low fiving Price”

• Habfan17 says:

That is not what it is about, it is what is behind it, I thought people could get that!

Habfan17

• Trisomy 21 says:

I also want the best from the team, and I can’t see how a silly celebration hinders that. I think Therrien is trying to prove something, not sure what exactly, but I don’t think MT has really treated PK fairly since he’s started. This goes back to him claiming he wants to make PK a better person. That’s just getting personal and frankly insulting.

35. Lix says:

This just in: Therrien to do away with names and numbers on jerseys. Individualism is not acceptable anymore.

36. Ghosts of the Forum says:

The fact that he announced the banning of the triple low five today would lead one to believe Subban just might be in the game tomorrow, no?

37. I’d like to see Jarred Tinordi called up for every Habs & Bruins game this season which would give JT 5 “MAX” JT can play as an EL?

Put Diaz as the 7th D & use RD on PP only.

Markov – Emilen
    Gorges – PK
    Bull – Tinordi

Pacioretty – Galchenyuk – Cole

Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta

Moen – Prust – Gallagher

White – Deharnais/Eller – Armstrong

• Habfan17 says:

I’d like to see Tinordi too, but they need to be careful, he hasn’t completely filled out and a more experienced and dirty ” Lucic” player could get the better of him and hurt his confidence .

Habfan17

• Jarred Tinordi’s game has improved big time for his 1st year in AHL. I believe Tinordi could see Lucic coming towards him and prepare himself accordingly. Not a bad trade off for 5 minutes IMHO. Diaz fills in until JT returns to the ice. I don’t think Lucic will fight JT?

• Ian Cobb says:

Tinordi needs a lot of work in the A first. He will be a good one, but he needs time in the minors for sure. End of next year maybe.

• Agree!!! Dougie Hamilton is fitting in well. JT is not far off and will play a major roll in years to come. JT will be a Hab for years. The next Chara. JT is going to be a BEAST!!! Down goes a Bruin!!!! Lovin every minute of it!!!

If a fight broke out between Dougie & Jarred? Who will win?

Go Habs Go!!!!

• powdered toastmann says:

Yes, end of next year @ the soonest. Nothing worse than rushing a youngster to the degree that he get’s owned by an established, experienced, opponent who has peaked in terms of physical prowess.

Result could be a drastically altered playing style (i.e in terms of degree of physicality and level of confidence).

38. Danno says:

That is what I meant to do but got tripped up in the reply threads

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

39. Trisomy 21 says:

Regarding to the treatment of PK, our best defenseman last year.
    Patrick Roy.

Discuss

40. Danno says:

test

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

41. J Haul says:

I’m aware that it was typically Price and Subban involved in the triple low five, but one of the highlights of last year was when Budaj took part after a win. Budaj seemed very humble and almost embarrassed, but you could tell that deep down he loved being included. It was very endearing and I think is a moment people overlook when they criticize PK as not being a team guy.

• Habfan17 says:

You just made the point, he seemed to like that he was included, all other team mates are excluded.

Habfan17

• Habsrule1 says:

Do you think any of the other players thought that way??
        I’ve played sports and never needed to be in on every single celebration.
        What about when a goal is scored and they don’t skate over and celebrate with the goalie on the other end of the ice?

I liked the TL5, but don’t think it’s a huge deal that they won’t be doing it anymore. Just hope MT doesn’t suck the life out of PK….or the team.

Go Habs Go!!

• bleedhabs81 says:

hmm… maybe they should remove the W/L statistic from goalies too. It seems to leave the team out.

The way I saw it, it was a congrats to the guy who has the most pressure, is scrutinized the most, and the one guy that is not allowed to screw up.

And with all the rubber that Price saw the last few years, I think a few more low fives would have been in order.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I’m sure his teammates were so upset that they can’t do the low 5′s. We’re talking about professional hockey players here. They’re not going to cry to their mom’s when they don’t feel included in a cutesy little celebration.

• J Haul says:

With all due respect, I think you’ve missed my point. I was saying that PK, although exuberant and sometimes naive, wants to get along with his teammates, wants them to feel included. He could have put the gesture off until the next time his young buddy was in goal, but instead he made sure that the “lowly backup” felt like a big part of the team and the win.

42. Habfan17 says:

I’d rather talk hockey and the fact that the Habs are not cycling in the corners like they did with Martin’s system. I found that about as much fun to watch as a hamster running on his wheel!!
    and about as useful!!!!

Habfan17

43. ABHabsfan says:

Are you kidding me? 2 days in a row I come to the site and the first comment is some ignorant garbage. Yesterday it was likening a hockey fight to violence against women and today we get this hillbilly, racist goof.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

44. montrealtilldeath says:

I find this “make PK a better man” BS” Absolutely offensive. PK is a man and a very articulate one. Team building is a team thing. It is done internally. All issues with respect to discipline and inter personal issues are always handled internally behind closed doors and is not public theatre. The Canadiens were especially goood at this. Therrien is very to the edge on this one. This crap is coming fro a man who lost a series and his job the last time he was in Montreal as a coach because he could not control himself. He is not on the Antichambre with his buds any more. Contolled celebrations!!! What is this BS. Look at socccer, basketball etc. Incredible celebrations. American media saw the effect of the Tiger Woods fist pump. 15-20% increase in viewership. NBA basketball realized a tremendous increase in popularity starting with the flamboyant Dr J. Its entertainment people and viewers want showtime. There is a whole new audience for hockey waiting to be attracted. I find when I listen to the US media on PK there is a totally different take on him as opposed to the Canadian media and it is very positive.
    I summary I think Therrien is on very thin ice here and to treat any professional like a child in public has an ominous ugly undertone. PK is a man and trat him as such.

• Danno says:

I agree if PK and Price’s celebration was becoming a distraction that Therien should have handled it internally and not made a public spectacle about it. Now Therien has created a distraction which runs the risk of becoming a bigger controversy than the issue he attempted to deal with.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Da Hema says:

Danno — perhaps I did not read the article, but did Therrien in fact make a “public spectacle” about this? Or did a reporter find out the ban on this celebration through one of the players? If the latter, then it isn’t fair to attack Therrien.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree, Therrien should have kept that in the room

Habfan17

• lavie says:

Agree!

MT 2.0 has started mishandling PK Subban.

• Da Hema says:

Perhaps Therrien’s point is that the players should devote their efforts to learning to win instead of using practice time to develop new ways to celebrate goals.

• ZepFan2 says:

Except it wasn’t done to celebrate goals, but to celebrate wins.

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• Da Hema says:

Yes. Heheh. Except that those were at a premium too!

• ZepFan2 says:

Since they were (at a premium) than that would mean the low five wasn’t used that much and shouldn’t really bother anybody but the opposing team.

This is MT showing PK who’s the boss, and NOT in a good way.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• Da Hema says:

There’s a lot of speculation in what you say. Therrien appears to treat the players quite well, at least from initial reports from the players about his pre-season meetings. Therrien doesn’t need to show Subban who is the boss — Therrien is the boss.

• ZepFan2 says:

“Therrien is the boss.”

And he’s making DAMN sure PK knows it.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

• Lix says:

I could care less about the celebration but perhaps Therrien should devote his energy to winning games and not concern himself about how they are celebrated which feeds the flames of sensationalistic journalism that eats at the Canadiens from within.

• montrealtilldeath says:

My point is that in this so-called team building effort the coach has to be the leader. As leader how can publicly singling out one player help in that exercise of team building. Those things should stay private just within the team as the have always been been handled historically.

• Aaron13 says:

You can’t change the spots on a leopard-Therrien hasn’t changed in ten years. He has the look of a dull animal- a quadruped with a low forehead who probably can only verbalize using clicks and grunts.

Therrien’s goal is to make P.K. an obedient “boy”. Will he be made to shine shoes too?

I believe that Subban will not stay with the Habs. Management will find a way to get rid of him for his “unacceptable behaviour”.

As mentioned by “montrealtilldeath”, exuberant celebration in other sports is common and accepted.

Any NHL team in the U.S. would grab him in a heartbeat assuming they have the cap space. Imagine him in a big-market team like the Rangers. They’d be gushing all over him instead of being treated like a boy who has to learn the rules of the white man.

I’m digusted by the arrogance and treatment of certain players by Montreal’s management. In their wildest delusions, no upstanding professional franchise would behave in this sick manner.

45. badbalance says:

That wasn’t racist at all..

46. habs-fan-84 says:

Personally I thought the “triple low five” was getting lame. It started to look too “forced” and unnatural. I’m sure Price is happy he doesn’t have to do it anymore.

If celebrations like that happen “in the heat of the moment” no problem, but like I said it was starting to get lame, at least in my opinion.

47. Wintercount says:

nice little move at the point by oshie on the berglund goal.

michel describes his system as up-tempo – pk’s been up-tempo and up-beat since april 13, 1989.

eller to play 6 min w armstrong on the 4th line – what’s next, waterboarding?

48. Penneywize says:

That’s horribly racist. I hope you are reprimanded for such an obtuse comment.

• bwoar says:

Obvious troll is… not so obvious??

“thoroughbred”

• Penneywize says:

If you can’t figure out how your comment is racially insensitive then there is no hope for you sir.

• bwoar says:

Relax Penney, this ain’t Baltimore. :p

On a more serious note, this triple-low-5 thing has created so much commentary on such a non-issue, I just hadda get a dig in and see who bit. I knew trini would say something, but I figure he’s wise enough to see a guy poking the white tiger on purpose. You, I’m not so sure about.

I saw some especially obtuse comments about how banning the 3-low-5 was a racist thing by the org. Stuff that really, really reaches. So I thought I’d take it to its logical conclusion with a little satire. Thanks for ruining the joke though, I’ll be sure to drop you a line when my next Klan meetup is scheduled (usually every third Friday in August.)

At least I’m not posting in French. Who knew that the Google Translation for ‘antics’ was ‘singeries’ ??

“thoroughbred”

49. habstrinifan says:

You are freakin brAVE!

50. habstrinifan says:

Bripro:

“The image of Subban in this thread was taken by a friend of mine, Al McKinnis. He’s one of a talented group of photographers for the Gazette.”

I didnt pay it much attention until Bripro’s comment. But is it just me or does Subban look really on an island all by himself.. ..loking for a friend in this picture. Look at his face carefully.

51. ari says:

hi……why the firefox browser becomes like android browser ?