Subban named NHL’s 3rd star of week

subban-mug

Canadiens rookie defenceman P.K. Subban has been named the NHL’s third star of the week.

Subban had four goals and two assists in four games, including his first career hat trick – possibly the first hat of his entire hockey career, as best he can recollect.

San Jose Sharks forward Joe Pavelski and Anaheim Ducks goalie Ray Emery were chosen first and second stars of the week.

1. Coach K says:

I’m pretty sure it won’t be the last time PK is named a star in this league! Respect…

Maybe some of the big mouth veterans will heed the words of Bob Gainey when he was interviewed at the all-star game about PK’s personality – “just shut up and play against him”.

2. habsfan0 says:

When will PK’s brother be eligible for the draft?

3. zedder81 says:

P.K should send Cherry those 3 pucks to shove where the sun don’t shine.

In my life the Habs have won 8 Stanley Cups and the Leafs 0. How can you put a value on that?

4. Dennis says:

Habs’ women of their dreams. Spacek chooses Britney Spears. http://dennis-kane.com/spacek-chooses-britney-spears/

5. habs_nessa says:

Is there any news on what’s going on with Plekanec and when he might be back in the lineup?

6. Castor says:

Why is it taking so long on the Cooke hit? Is this a good thing? I’d love it if he were gone for the year.

• Nahlsy says:

Cooke got the rest of the regular season and the first round of the playoffs.

The comedy starts shortly after that, Brad Marchand apparently felt the need to tell the press how dirty Cooke is. The same Marchand who is serving his own suspension for his own elbow to the back of the head of an unsuspecting victim. I guess when the rookie that doesn’t respect the most storied franchise in the league or any of the veterans in that league either is a Bruin who does things the “white way” it’s ok though huh? I haven’t heard jack squat from the same jagoffs about Marchand’s attitude problems yet.

7. Mattyleg says:

Hey, here’s a question:

Considering the hullaballoo around the three Thrashers that became the first all-black trio to score and assist on a goal a while back, is PK the first black rookie to score a hat-trick?

Is Iginla black?

I don’t even know…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

8. samTHEman says:

Ryan McDonagh suspended indefinitely for deliberately precipitating his own head into Matt Cooke’s elbow.

9. Rugger says:

So what’s the delay in announcing the Cooke suspension? his meeting was scheduled for 1:30.

10. Mattyleg says:

Nice to see the site coming along!
    I like that we can see all the posts, and don’t have to switch pages now.

One little thing… Any chance of making the avatars a bit bigger, considering how much room there is on the page?

Thanks!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

11. tanhaa says:

WordPress 3.1 is available (My profile said to tell the administrator that) :)
    Now that that’s out of the way!

GO SUBBAN!!! This is awesome. I hope he gets considered for Calder as well, though I doubt he will be.

12. wd40 says:

Cooke deserves 10 games and a chicken-wing-ectomy.

Sorry, just testing the EDIT feature. lol.

13. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Woot! The comments are iPad friendly.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

14. Propwash says:

The website is going through some teething troubles, slowly but surely it’s all falling into place.

15. Castor says:

Hey guys. I can’t find how to put an avatar up!?

16. Psycho29 says:

I am really starting to like the character on this team. And I stress the word “team”

From Ryan White standing up for his team mates to Gomez backchecking to help save a goal when it was 8-0 or 8-1, and getting shaken up when the Wild player fell on him…

And not sure if anyone noticed it on Friday after Price got Halaked in the first period, Alex Auld made sure he went over and tapped Price’s gloves before going in….

I think that Thursday’s game in Boston will be a lot different from the last time the Habs played there…

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Loved it when White was in the penalty box. He smiled and gave the thumbs up sign to the guy he fought with. He doesn’t give a sh*t. I think/hope he has a permanent spot on the roster. There’s going to be some tough decisions to make once we get all our forwards out of sickbay.

• 24moreCups says:

Yeah I hope he stays I’m really starting to like the kid more and more every game. I rather have White in then Pyatt, I personally think he brings more to the team.

17. J.J. of Turku says:

Woah! I have a signature. Maybe soon I can check out the other posters’ profiles. To be honest, this post is only to try “edit-button”.

Good work guys. Now when the shock is over, I’m okay with the site. (But I hate the Gravatar)

18. rocketsglare says:

Ryan White is what this team needed: a raw boned, no nonsense, take no shit player who can also skate, shoot, and score the occasional goal. Going to enjoy seeing this guy perform in the playoffs.

Gee, I can edit now. Things are looking up!

• Bugs says:

I have an idea, Mr.Ian:
      Let’s say you go to your homepage. Then COPY the address and PASTE it into your “Website” box.
      Therefore, by clicking on your name, would that not send the clicker to your homepage?

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy goes by the moniker L. Bugs Potter, esq.

20. Bugs says:

What the heck did the other two players do that Soobie ain’t 1st star of the night?

His plume all afire in matters most dire, call him Bugs Potter; he’s a righteous esquire.

Hey that’s great,! I have an EDIT button now.
    This new site is coming right along. But my name appears at the bottom of each comment.

See I was able to go back and edit my name off this comment and put this line in. Can everyone now ?

22. lefreak says:

PK stepping it up is the best thing that could happen to this hockey team. He has been playing past his tender age all year, but if he can keep his game up that extra notch this april might not be that bad at all.

23. ClaytonM says:

PK gets a hat trick, something Orr never did in his rookie season. PK also needs 2 goals and 4 assists to tie Orr’s rookie point total :)

I can’t wait to annoy bruins fans with those stats Thursday

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

I do love those stats to throw in bruins faces, but must remember Orr was barely 18 his first year in league. But anytime one of ours can be compared to #4, I will take it.

• Everlasting1 says:

Hockey fans everywhere would laugh at this post.
      Btw, Orr’s rookie season was 61 games.

Elohim:”Let us make an Adam in our image and after our likeness.” – Genesis 1:26

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• ClaytonM says:

Oh I agree, in fact I put Orr in 1st place over Howe & Gretzky as the best ever. All the more reason it would upset bruins fans.

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

24. Habby says:

Did you guys read this? From the Canadiens’ website:

In a game where 13 different players factored into the scoring – including netminder Alex Auld, who had as many points as the entire Wild team in the 8-1 win – even Carey Price got in on the action from the bench, tossing his Habs tuque onto the ice to commemorate Subban’s milestone moment.

“I didn’t see it, but I’m not surprised he did something like that,” laughed Subban of his post-game triple-low-fiving partner. “Are any of you guys surprised?”

LOL Gotta love the relationship between these guys! And congrats to PK on being named the third star.

The drive for 25 is alive!

25. wall2bay says:

Who does this guy think he is becoming the 3rd star of the week? Somebody needs to teach him a lesson!

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

26. Edmaster says:

We need 9 points out of the 18 possible remaining points to clinch a playoff birth. I’m confident we’ll manage this. I am hoping we play Crosby and the boys in the first round. In my opinion we can beat any of the teams ahead of us but I would rather not tempt Philly and would prefer to simply avoid the Bruins altogether.

Expos, please come home.

• Rugger says:

Actually, all we need is combination of 10 points either for the the Habs or missed points for Carolina. Assume Carolina does great and wins 8 of 10, the Habs would then need to only win 3 of 9 etc.

• Edmaster says:

Actually, there are a number of combinations, but the bottom line is, if we get 9 points, no matter how many points the teams below us get, we’re in.

Expos, please come home.

• Rugger says:

9 points and Carolina could tie the Habs if they win all 10 games they have left. Very doubtful that the Habs could get 9 points and not have the tie-breaker of wins, but it is theoretically possible that all nine of the Habs points could be OT losses, leaving Habs with 40 wins and Carolina with 43. I don’t know the number each team has won shoot-out games as those are now subtracted from the tie-breaking.

• HalifaxHabs says:

this entire debate is based on all the teams behind winning all their remaining games. The Ha bs may not have mathematically clinched yet, but since the Rangers/Sabres & Hurricnaes aren’t going to win every game for the rest of the season, we pretty much have it locked down already.

• habsfansince91 says:

i really believe we can beat all the teams in our conference. We do have a hard time against philly but they have been sliding lately so i do think we can pull it off if we do face them.

27. lach60 says:

off-topic, but just found out Desharnais is mtl’s leading scorer in march, with only 12 mins avg on ice…
    what a great story he’s become, hopefully he can keep it going for the next few years

28. HabFarmer says:

I guess Boudreau is going to be busy giving Ovie foot massages. Attaboy Brucie…….

29. mdp2011 says:

hi,
    I have been reading this site for about 3 years now, never actually posted anything before or even created a username until today. Anyway, just an FYI looks like the habs won’t have to deal with Ovechkin on Saturday.

30. nastyHABit says:

Congrats to Ryan White also….nothing like a Gordie Howe Trick!….Looking good Kid!

31. rocketsglare says:

Subban is developing in leaps and bounds and what’s amazing is that he’s only going to get even better as he matures!

32. filincal says:

Timo…your reinstation looks better every thread…right?

33. nastyHABit says:

Keep playin’ your game P.K.!…….its an absolute treat to watch,so tell all the Cherrys ,Milburys….and oh yes the “eloquent” P.J.Stock to take a long hard s@#$k off your arse!………..P.S….I’m not sayin’,I’m just sayin’

34. filincal says:

My guess is Cooke views the rest of the penguins’ games from the pressbox;even when he comes back from suspension. Don’t know what his contract situation is for next year, but Piit doesn’t retain him. How could they possibly? I’m sure he’s not a favorite in the room despite what his team mates are saying.
    Congrats PK!!! you da MAN!!!

35. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

Theme song for Subban
    Here Comes The Hotstepper – Ini Kamoze
    Break my Stride- Matthew Wilder (ft. a guy that looks like timo’s avatar but not ali g)

i personally like Break My stride….

36. Congrats to Subban! Very deserved.

What was Pierre Gauthier’s best move this season?

1) Keeping Price over Halak

2) Trading for Wisniewski

3) Trading Lapierre to make room for Desharnais

4) Hiring Randy Cunnyworth

5) Believing in Jacques Martin and the coaching staff

37. Chester says:

What happened to my very attractive picture of my Snow Giant ?
    This place has gone commercial.

38. fun police says:

great week for P.K.. any news on plek’s?

39. Chester says:

How did this happen. Right under the nose of Don Sherry and the CBC. I guess they fell asleep.
    Go PK Ya Baybee !

Subban is a star? That’s not the white way to do it.

41. Kooch7800 says:

PK Subban is now tied with Scott Gomez for points this season but has a better plus minus. Good thing it isn’t a contract year he could have got 8 mill a season (sarcasim).

Good for PK. for all the abuse he takes it is nice to see him starting to get rewarded. He is a great asset to this club

42. Danno says:

PK won a much bigger honour. He won Stubbs’ hatty pin!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

43. Mark C says:

Brad Marchand is at it again: “I think that it’s about time he gets — he’s got to be taught a lesson. He’s doing that stuff left, right, and center. I expect that he’ll probably get a bunch of games, but he’s got to be taught a lesson”.

Not that I don’t agree with Marchand, but what is he doing? He’s just returning from his own suspension for giving another player a head shot. How many veterans and other players will Marchand throw under the bus before Cherry and these other anti-Subban type start taking his guy to the shed?

• Timo says:

I don’t think it says anywhere that hockey players have to have a brain.

• DearyLeary says:

But Marchand isn’t cocky like PK. Guaranteed people are telling PK to lip it on the Cooke hit, because anything he says will turn him into a pariah again.

• HalifaxHabs says:

“But Marchand isn’t cocky like PK”

this statement couldn’t be farther from the truth. Havng followed him since before he was in the Q, I can tell you that Marchand is such a cocky person it would make you sick.
        It won’t be long until he has a league wide reputation like an Avery or a Lapierre. The kid has talent, but he’s such a little a$$hole it’s unbelievable,

44. JD_ says:

* A few notable NHL D-men nailin’ their first career hatties this season. Nicklas Lidstrom got his after only some 1,400-plus regular season games while this guy had to wait only about 900 games. Then there’s this local uppity kid, goes by the name Poindexter Bentley, who very disrespectfully made his fan base wait an interminable 70 games. Jerk.

* Paul Mara does not need a map. So far, provin’ to be a solid late-season add. Shocker stat of the night: Although it’s open to some local interpretation, the hit count last night was 19-4 in favour of Minny. Four Hab hits. Four. How bad is yer D when it so openly capitulates without even bein’ mildly irritated? I’d venture to say very. Poor Tufnel; only Hab not to manage a + ratin’ for the night. And, yeah, also feel for Auld. Seems fittin’ that he lost his S/O bid on a penalty shot, of all things, not too long after Houde once again had to blurt it out, this time with tons of time left in the third. And, no, I’m not superstitious…except.

* Anyone notice when the Clutterbuck-Gomez crap was goin’ down in front of the net, a Wild player came in to restrain Gionta in just about the most friendly and thoughtful way possible? May as well have been congratulatin’ the Habs captain for scorin’ a goal. Then you see Madden on the back of the jersey and it all makes sense. Now that is mutual respect.

* Wonder if Super Mario actually has the cojones to cut the deranged lowlife loose. There are all sorts of considerations that would prevent this from happenin’, but still.

* A hair off-topic, but I can’t help but notice increasin’ references by KFC® that its products are hand-breaded; i.e., breaded by human hands. Hmmm. Really. Does the fried chicken braintrust truly believe consumers fantasize that each franchise is operated by a half-dozen bespectacled grandmothers festooned in aprons and bonnets, regalin’ each other with knittin’ secrets as they gently dip each piece into the Colonel’s Secret Recipe®, while the one whose hands are far too arthritic to participate quietly rocks in the chair in the corner murmurin’ “Mmm-hmm” to every wise utterance? Or, perhaps, is it possible that fried chicken customers are well aware that the chicken is bein’ hand-breaded by disinterested minimum-wagers, many of whom need to readjust their ball sack about a dozen times a day, twice as often in more humid climates? This WTFMarketin’™ can’t last. Seriously, machine-bread the oily goo, you bozos, or at least lie that you do.

• Chuck says:

Thanks, JD_. I’ll never eat Kentucky Pigeon again. Now don’t go ruining my Taco Hell for me, alright?

• habsfansince91 says:

Did you hear about the lawsuit in the states that Taco Bell isn’t 100% beef as advertised?

• shiram says:

Yea its actually is meat product. But that just does not sound as appetizing.

• Everlasting1 says:

So are hot dogs and fast food chain restaurant hamburgs. No revelation there.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• ClaytonM says:

A Mexican restaurant chain with an Australian CEO and a Chihuahua for a mascot, and they don’t want to tell us what their “secret ingredient” is that makes up 30% of the taco filling? No wonder they can’t pass Quebec meat standards :)

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

• Propwash says:

Kentucky Freud Chicken – it’s mother ****ing good!

• punkster says:

Welcome back sunshine. Good to see we still agree on the Subbanator. Disrespectful, I says. Damnably disrespectful.

***STOP THE MADNESS***

45. shiram says:

Still getting accustomed to this place. The news I saw last login is all different now?? Weird, at least my avatar was showing up, and the more recent post is at the top.

Also, Pk withoutn Hal Gill generates controversy, with Gill generates hat trick? Coincidence??

46. Chuck says:

Man, what I wouldn’t give for another hatty on Thursday…

47. portle44 says:

Another bitter pill for the clown in the electric green suit

48. krob1000 says:

anyone seen the “once brothers” espn documentary on Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic, Kukoc, Radja,etc? It was incredible…I stumbled upon it by accident on Saturday night and ended up glued to the television until 2 am….if you have not seen it…basketball fan or not…see it…..truly incredible and heartwrenching story that I was too young and naive to understand while it was actually occurring…

So is Dan Chorra going to tell the kids how not to score a hat.

50. fbkj says:

*leaps

stupid ifone

51. fbkj says:

wow

the mobile site is now keaps and bounds better than th full website

gotta give credit here

• habmanj says:

I agree …fantastic. Exterior links now work too!

• HardHabits says:

Says Mr. Smart Phone geek. Where’s the pic Mr. I am not joining Gravatar?

BTW. From one geek to another, is there a mobile version of the site. Being on the Pre I get to see web sites in full HTML but I still like having the option of visiting a mobile version when they exist.

• fbkj says:

i joined gravatar with this email years ago, its not showing my pic probably because its with a different user name… too lazy to rectify

the site doesnt redirect to a mobile addy, i guess its just optimized for mobile… weird

52. volcano62 says:

Very good for PK! Lovin’ this kid more and more as the season goes on.

Whats this stupid gravatar crap? Why can’t I just add an avatar through the site like a normal forum?

53. ZepFan2 says:

I wonder how Don Scary and the rest of the “PK is the devil” whiners are reacting to this news?!

With any luck, Cherry’s head exploded.

54. naweed235 says:

lol boys messing arround with him

55. Mike T says:

Why are we calling hat tricks or hattys ‘hat’s now haha

56. Rudy says:

So that means I have to go to the NHL.com site which I refused to do anymore after “The Hit”. grrrrrr

57. punkster says:

Disrespectful! He should have been first star!